Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

citykat wrote: »
    Cody is no speed merchant but imo he's not slow. I also think he has what it takes bar one facet. Aggression. He just appears too nice/honest to my eyes. I'm not looking for him to start flaking opponents. Just be a little more uncompromising.
    I wouldn't judge him on the Cuala game. The Boro were naive on the pitch and line that day. Given it was year one for the management, that's understandable.
    Is he a little like John Marnell was like a bit to nice but a great servant to his club, County.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

blackcard wrote: »
    Well done to Bally ragget, Playing the Leinster Final in Kilkenny

Good news for the local services industry!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

You need to get out more....

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Is that Cian Waldron who used to hurl with freshford on the Cuala panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Munster IHC Final
    Kilmaley 0.25 - 1.23 Kanturk (AET)

You need to get out more....

And you need to lighten up. I guess it's more likely I'll start getting out more though.......

Is that Cian Waldron who used to hurl with freshford on the Cuala panel?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Yes.

Nicky Kenny piltown

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gaaman123

How did u21 games go today? Who impressed? Boro vs tullaroan, Village vs bridge, Ballyhale vs dunnamagin?

• Advertisement

Naoise, Cian Waldren are part of the Cuala panel both hurled with Freshford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Comerman

gaaman123 wrote:
    How did u21 games go today? Who impressed? Boro vs tullaroan, Village vs bridge, Ballyhale vs dunnamagin?

Was at the Village Bridge game, scanlon and Browne (great job marking Blanch) and for The Bridge young Ciaran Brennan looked very good and caused the defence a lot of bother. Connor Browne probably should of got a yellow in the first half for a badly timed block on Blanch but Blanch seemed to spend the rest of the game trying to get him back or complaining to the ref who in my opinion isn't fit to ref a cockfight e.g pointing in the wrong direction for frees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Village87

Comerman wrote: »
    Was at the Village Bridge game, scanlon and Browne (great job marking Blanch) and for The Bridge young Ciaran Brennan looked very good and caused the defence a lot of bother. Connor Browne probably should of got a yellow in the first half for a badly timed block on Blanch but Blanch seemed to spend the rest of the game trying to get him back or complaining to the ref who in my opinion isn't fit to ref a cockfight e.g pointing in the wrong direction for frees.

Blanchfield was very easily put off his game yesterday. His striking and touch were way off. I have no issue with Brennan hurling as i think the rule is ridiculous but are u16 allowed play under 21 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The Boro Tullaroan games was thoroughly entertaining. With 7 goals and 32 points between them. Tullaroan started at a blistering pace and had a goal from Mossy Keoghan playing CF in the first few mins. Bill Sheehan replied with one down the other end for the Boro a minute later but then Tullaroan really started to get on top and got a nice few points with Mossy Keoghan at the heart of everything that went right for them with Mossy netting another goal about 25 mins gone I'd say. It was a 2-8 to 1-6 at halftime and only for a great performance by Bill Sheehan up front 1-2 from play and a good few frees from Andy Gaffney the Boro would have been well behind. If Tullaroan were more accurate themselves they could have been a good bit further ahead missing at least 3 or 4 easy chances. To be honest it looked like the Boro lads believed the hype around them and that all they'd have to do was show up. Well Tullaroan fair dues to them showed them that you win nothing without playing to your full potential all day.

The start of the second half didn't get any better for the Boro with the lead going out to 7 points in the first 5 mins or so. There was a few points exchanged, then the Boro got through well for another Bill Sheehan goal. This really energised then and they started to steam roll. Andy Gaffney won highball after puckout after highball and ran at them eventually leading to a goal of his own with 10 to go to put the Boro up by 2. Another goal by Tom Nolan five minutes later had the Boro 6 point clear. Mossy Keoghan who had been so dominant in the second half couldn't get into it at all. Tommy Walsh was tasked to mark Bill Sheehan and limited him to 1-1 in the second half but they missed his influence out the field. Mossy stuck his head up in extra time to sneak a consolation goal which really the Boro should have saved. Finished Boro 4-16 to 3-16 Tullaroan. A huge factor was the benches the Boro had a panel of 30 odd whereas Tullaroan had a panel of 20. The Boro subs made an impact but the 2 Tullaroan lads didn't do as much. Tullaroan emptied the tank in the first 40mins and the Boro started to reel them in after that.
    Tullaroan players that impressed
    Mossy Keoghan the stand out finished with 3-7 he was immense in the first half but was well martialed for most of the second half.
    Shane Walsh hurled well and converted most frees and caused lots of headaches for the Boro defence.
    Jack Keoghan and the Tullaroan number 7 were very strong in the first half and cut out a huge amount of Boro attacks.
    Tommy Walsh was hurling well but after 10 mins was put into the corner on Bill Sheehan who had 1-2 at that stage and was running riot. Tommy shackled him well but never influenced the game the way he had in the first 10 mins.

Boro players
    Tom Kenny was the Boros best player and played well in both halves when most didn't. Was strong on the half backline and got a few points when moved up the field in the second half.
    Aidan Nolan was ok in the first half but was savage in the second half Tullaroan could not pick a ball down his wing or he'd win it.
    Andy Gaffney was poor enough in the first half you'd hardly know he was playing but he totally changed that at halftime and stormed into the game brilliant under high ball and ran through the defence with subsequent runs ripping them open for 3 goals and a good few points.
    Bill Sheehan started a savage pace and had 1-2 and was unlucky not to have another one before Tomm Walsh went back there. He struggled to come to terms with him for the rest of the half but by the second half he had figured it out and got on a lot more ball and set up others but also pilfered 1-1 himself
    Oisin Gough set up a huge amount and was involved with most of the goals was good in the first half when others were struggling.
    Conor Doheny was very poor in the first half against Mossy Keoghan he'd track his run and then get drawn to the ball and at least once let Mossy in for a simple goal after doing the hard work. Improved no end in the second half and was back to where I would expect him to be.
    Chris Kavanagh seems to have been struggling for form and confidence he was slow to get into the game but when he did he worked very hard and with a bit more support in the first half he could have been more effective. I thought he played very well in the second half.
    Hopefully the sight of the green and red will have them hopping out of their skin from the start next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Does anyone know if the county management are staying on?

Sounds like a very strong Boro team on Paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 gaaman123

Comerman wrote: »

How did Morrissey get on? Yes heard Connor Browne should have been booked but had a great game afterwards. Boro will be strong favourites in the north final

Boro look very strong but they were giving a big fright yesterday by all accounts,tullaron have a few very good players so it wasn't a huge suprise to see the boro find them difficult opponents,ballyhale also found dunamaggin hard going down south and callan have a lot of their junior team involved so it should be a good match.

Have the Boro not thirteen from there senior panel playing under 21, I have to laugh when a person on here mentioning about Ciaran Brennan playing it shows how teams have to play country ,town the parish club has to make up a team with all ages up to21 the town team can play them up to age. It was like St lachtains player who was advised on medical grounds v Boro not to play played suffering the consequences since because of numbers still three lads that hurled with the Boro that day were from Freshford Parish.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/sport/282762/kilkenny-hurling-d-j-carey-completes-the-under-21-selection-committee.html
    As touted skehan is a selector,liam smith could be a good selection having worked with a lot of these lads at kierans.

brookville wrote: »
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/sport/282762/kilkenny-hurling-d-j-carey-completes-the-under-21-selection-committee.html
    As touted skehan is a selector,liam smith could be a good selection having worked with a lot of these lads at kierans.

2 City lads which is good to have but 2 north clubs represented and none from the south. Do not agree with that

Same with the senior team, No south club represented in that either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Kilkenny is a very small county. There should be no argument about North / South, but ,all selectors regardless of club should only have the best intentions for KK, which I'm sure they do. All potential players should be found no matter where they are from. We've been hugely successful at senior level with current / past managements which contained no 'south' selector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Village87 wrote: »

2 City lads which is good to have but 2 north clubs represented and none from the south. Do not agree with that

What difference does that make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Mankbag

You do realise Kilkenny won eight All Irelands between 2006 and '15 without a selector from the south? This isn't 1955 for God's sake.

The two city lads would be under the umbrella of the North of the county but that shouldn't matter as one of them worked with a lot of players in st kierans north, south, the best of wishes to all involved with the under 21 set up 2018.

peter o donovan was part of the minor management is pat o grady stepping down so as rumoured?I don't know much about o donovans coaching ability but I think smith and skehan are good appointments,Smith especially should have great knowledge after having a lot of success with kierians,next year's batch should be strong enough and lads like leahy,donnelly,doheny,darren mullen,tommy walsh,andy gaffney,mossy keoghan,bill sheehan will hopefully see some walsh cup action,adrian mullen is repeating his leaving so we might not see him involved next year.
    Sean ryan from gbc and joey cuddihy impressed at club level along with a few from the boro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Refreshing.

Quite different from other managers who have pointed the finger at everything but themselves for having a poor season...eg. 'the dark forces'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

MfMan wrote: »
    Fair enough so. Out to f&ck!

Is that u Cha (Fr.Dick Byrne)?

It'll be a big year for kk with 2 more retirements and 2 more missing early next year and alot of holes and gaps to fill in defence,mf and fowards,if we don't win silverware next year us supporters won't be happy but I think most of us agree the rebuild will take time

• Advertisement

It'll be a big year for kk with 2 more retirements and 2 more missing early next year and alot of holes and gaps to fill in defence,mf and fowards,if we don't win silverware next year us supporters won't be happy but I think most of us agree the rebuild will take time

Very hard to see Paul Murphy or Colin Fennelly playing next year, not back until May and there will be 2 and nearly 3 championship matches played when they get back it will take 6 weeks to get them back up to pace with no game time.

I read an article from Brian last year stating there are up and coming superstars in this dressing room and will prove it on the field... now he is stating there not in the top 5 teams in the country...

Very hard to see Paul Murphy or Colin Fennelly playing next year, not back until May and there will be 2 and nearly 3 championship matches played when they get back it will take 6 weeks to get them back up to pace with no game time.

I read an article from Brian last year stating there are up and coming superstars in this dressing room and will prove it on the field... now he is stating there not in the top 5 teams in the country...

I remember that article he said it after the tipp defeat 2 years ago and infairness he tried a lot of youngsters with leahy the only real positive but injury curtailed him,bolger I thought would of being better very unlucky not to get goals against wexford and limerick,conor o shea was doing ok until the dublin league match he done his hamstring and struggled to get back to fitness.John walsh was injured most of the year and didnt even see much u21 action.
    As everyone knows there's a huge panel called in and while a lot might not make it some could surprise us,lads like enda morrissey,tom aylward who have being steady at club level might step up.
    The u21 and minor teams this year were both competitive while next year's u21s should also be competitive kierans will always be strong it won't be all doom and gloom,kevin kelly has being in great form hopefully he can carry that into next year he needs to nail down a starting position next year

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

I wouldn't say we was miles behind was always going to be tough with all the high profile retirements and finding who was anywhere near to replacing them. Counties like Waterford have a golden generation at the moment and look at clare a fantastic forward line in my opinion only Galways is up there with them yet been awful since the win in 2013. Invest in youth and look at the longer plan than a quick fix

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

I wouldn't say we was miles behind was always going to be tough with all the high profile retirements and finding who was anywhere near to replacing them. Counties like Waterford have a golden generation at the moment and look at clare a fantastic forward line in my opinion only Galways is up there with them yet been awful since the win in 2013. Invest in youth and look at the longer plan than a quick fix

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Garyp88 wrote: »
    In all fairness I would say Tipp have the best forward line, followed by Galway

mullinr2 wrote: »
    In all fairness I would say Tipp have the best forward line, followed by Galway

If Dublin could get Con, Costello, Kilkenny, Sutcliffe, Schutte on the one forward line they could match Galway, Clare and Tipp, i like Corks fowards, as good as any at present.

As regarding Waterford in a golden generation if i was Gleeson or Pauric Mahoney i would confront Mcgrath and ask to play the more traditional way. Asking way to much of Mahoney, Gleeson and Barron to perform every game, its much easier to stop Gleeson and Mahoney with extra men around them, Moran and Brick play deep as it + the sweeper, Jake Dillion offers nothing so there is to much pressure on Gleeson and Mahoney to perfom when they are outnumbered. Id love to see them play with the shackles off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Garyp88 wrote: »

C Malone, P Collins, J Conlon; C McGrath A Cunningham S O’Donnell - that's the Clare forward line that started their last championship ,match, its no where near as good as Galway, Tipp or Cork. Conor McGrath and Shane O'Donnel are the only two that would have legitimate claims to make either of the other forward lines, and McGrath was off form this year and O'Donnell is terribly inconsitent.

Looking at them this year you would have to say he is right that they are not in the top five teams,i say you wont be to sorry to see Paul Murphy gone next year as you reckoned this year he should have been dropped you were giving out about him been on the Kilkenny people holding a horse. Big clean out has happened if it happened in a business you would be on the cliff edge, in every walk of life there is valleys next years championship is going to be different playing four weekends in a row can have its pluses minuses . Have faith I have seen players before that lads said were no good they turned a corner never let us down here is to 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

A lot of cribbing about Cody here but the reality is, the players are just not there and those that do have talent are just far too soft and have no drive. So he’s starting from a place that’s way further back than anywhere he’s been in the last 20 years. Who’s to blame.... some would say, along with myself, that this day has been coming for years, it’s been said here numerous times and why things will go wrong, but the county board don’t look around or listen.However you can’t, solely, blame the county board, the clubs feed the development squads and the level of hurler presented to development squads over the last 12-15 years has been very poor. There’s too much of a gap for the development squads to make up.

Coaching standards for 6 - 15 year olds at club level needs to be overhauled along with the club game scene at these ages to give youngsters lots of games, to coach juvenile coaches on what to look out for and how to produce better talent with the right work rate attitude and appreciation for team.

I cribbed about Cody not getting the new lads in early in Nov and driving them very hard in time for the league. Putting a lot of pressure on them. It seems that, this is exactly what is happening this year for next, any news on how things are going?

• Advertisement

Few suprises today in the u21 with clara beating a fancied ballycallan team being the standout,the village having a great win over the boro is some consultation for losing the senior final,the injury that forced gaffney off didn't help of course but the boro have the full squad again next year I'm told so they won't be far away but they must learn from this defeat,barrow rangers had a good win over ballyrgget while yesterday callan had a good win over the rower and will meet balyhale in the southern final.it looks like it was a weekend for all the underdogs.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That's a strong Callan team. There might not be many stars (like Leahy with the Rower) but there's plenty of quality in there.

Faugheen wrote: »
    That's a strong Callan team. There might not be many stars (like Leahy with the Rower) but there's plenty of quality in there.

Great win for the village yesterday, hungry balanced team, well done to all.

PeterCasey wrote: »
    Looking at them this year you would have to say he is right that they are not in the top five teams,i say you wont be to sorry to see Paul Murphy gone next year as you reckoned this year he should have been dropped you were giving out about him been on the Kilkenny people holding a horse. Big clean out has happened if it happened in a business you would be on the cliff edge, in every walk of life there is valleys next years championship is going to be different playing four weekends in a row can have its pluses minuses . Have faith I have seen players before that lads said were no good they turned a corner never let us down here is to 2018.

Paul Murphy has had a very poor 2 years, tried in various position in the league at full and centre back, just was not good enough! Very poor in Championship also. I do believe he should be on the bench as competition might improve his performance. As Brian Cody stated about these superstars ready to explode, apart from Laehy i cant think of many more

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Paul Murphy has had a very poor 2 years, tried in various position in the league at full and centre back, just was not good enough! Very poor in Championship also. I do believe he should be on the bench as competition might improve his performance. As Brian Cody stated about these superstars ready to explode, apart from Laehy i cant think of many more

Well it is fairly certain that he will be on the bench given he wont be back from Syria until May so Im sure your wish will be granted. You could pick 6 or 7 players who have lost form in the last 2 years, why such a focus on Paul and Conor all the time? I think the fact that most of our players who have been tryed in the full back line have struggled over the last two years points to deeper problems with the structure of the team. Brian Hogan for example is a huge loss, really helped to keep a solid shape about the backline.

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Well it is fairly certain that he will be on the bench given he wont be back from Syria until May so Im sure your wish will be granted. You could pick 6 or 7 players who have lost form in the last 2 years, why such a focus on Paul and Conor all the time? I think the fact that most of our players who have been tryed in the full back line have struggled over the last two years points to deeper problems with the structure of the team. Brian Hogan for example is a huge loss, really helped to keep a solid shape about the backline.

I was expecting the 2 lads to really step up to the plate like Jackie, Tommy JJ did and provide leadership to the younger players around them by dominating themselves, when your most experienced players are not performing it is very hard on young players coming on to the team who have not had massive success for Kilkenny underage. Tj and Riche are providing great leadership up front, Cillain Buckley and Wally Walsh are also becoming lerders but its in midfield and the backs that we need strong leaders to step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Faugheen wrote: »

Great win for the village yesterday, hungry balanced team, well done to all.
    Great win for the Village. Better, hungrier team on the day. Helped by a couple of strange refereeing decisions and Gaffneys early exit.

citykat wrote: »
    Great win for the Village. Better, hungrier team on the day. Helped by a couple of strange refereeing decisions and Gaffneys early exit.

I heard conor browne hurled well along with scanlon and dwyer,are these 3 in with the seniors?browne seems to have improved since his return he could be an addition to the u21s next year if his around.dwyer like bill sheehan is a goal getter but both are still very young maybe trying to nail down a u21 spot should be the objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I heard conor browne hurled well along with scanlon and dwyer,are these 3 in with the seniors?browne seems to have improved since his return he could be an addition to the u21s next year if his around.dwyer like bill sheehan is a goal getter but both are still very young maybe trying to nail down a u21 spot should be the objective.
    I thought Conor Browne was overage for the under 21s next year.

Topcat32 wrote: »
    I thought Conor Browne was overage for the under 21s next year.

Sorry your correct this was his last year but he went travelling,I thought he had some good moments for his club hopefully he'll stay improving.

Well done to dj with It carlow beating dcu tonight in the league final 3-20 to 1-17 I know dcu have our own conor delaney and darren mullen and waterfords patricks curran,I think leahy is with carlow this year

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement