Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Cuala played league right throughout Summer until September. They did have a two month break between April and June, but that was due to county hurlers.

Kenny does seem to be able to get them to peak at right time, although they had a couple of tough games in Dublin.

Infairnes kilkenny usually didn't return training till January,mostly after there holiday and mick always had them spot on especially for the big matches but this year was like 13 where we struggled all year and loss of form and injuries to key players didn't help.
    Interesting article from conor whelan saying he cut back on the weights while increasing his mobility,jackie done the same during his career.
    I haven't heard much how the county lads are going although we should see a lot of new faces next month when we start the walsh cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

I know it's off the topic just a couple of hurling questions which county has the best following attendance wise? and which kilkenny club does? Just wondering on average compared to bigger counties and clubs etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

brookville wrote: »
    Infairnes kilkenny usually didn't return training till January,mostly after there holiday and mick always had them spot on especially for the big matches but this year was like 13 where we struggled all year and loss of form and injuries to key players didn't help.
    Interesting article from conor whelan saying he cut back on the weights while increasing his mobility,jackie done the same during his career.
    I haven't heard much how the county lads are going although we should see a lot of new faces next month when we start the walsh cup.
    Would it be possible that they were training in Dunmore Sunday morning I passed there around ten am there was cars in the car park.

PeterCasey wrote: »
    Would it be possible that they were training in Dunmore Sunday morning I passed there around ten am there was cars in the car park.

Yea that's correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny are back training very hard the past 5 week 4 nights per week. Leaving no stone unturned regarding preparation. I expect them to hit the ground running during the league. Kilkenny way ahead of Galway Tipperary, Waterford and Wexford at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Village87 wrote: »
    Kilkenny are back training very hard the past 5 week 4 nights per week. Leaving no stone unturned regarding preparation. I expect them to hit the ground running during the league. Kilkenny way ahead of Galway Tipperary, Waterford and Wexford at this stage

I hope they are training clever and are not just being run into the ground... there's going to be a lot of matches played before the end of June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

That's because Galway, Tipperary and Waterford were not allowed to have collective trading until last Friday. No idea about Wexford, but I don't think any Davy Fitz team have ever been undercooked, quite the opposite if anything.

danganabu wrote: »
    That's because Galway, Tipperary and Waterford were not allowed to have collective trading until last Friday. No idea about Wexford, but I don't think any Davy Fitz team have ever been undercooked, quite the opposite if anything.

Where can I buy a few shares in the Galway team :D :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Where can I buy a few shares in the Galway team :D :pac:

You couldnt afford them :D *training - my bad!

I hope they are training clever and are not just being run into the ground... there's going to be a lot of matches played before the end of June.

I agree there's going to be a lot of matches next season but you'd imagine there experienced enough not to peaking for the league,I met a player 2 weeks ago who told me it wasn't to bad at the moment.

• Advertisement

I agree there's going to be a lot of matches next season but you'd imagine there experienced enough not to peaking for the league,I met a player 2 weeks ago who told me it wasn't to bad at the moment.

Well they looked like one of the most 'unfit' top tier hurling counties in 2017 so fingers crossed.

Well they looked like one of the most 'unfit' top tier hurling counties in 2017 so fingers crossed.

They looked tired,no smooth rhythm to their play,touch was poor with no game plan,hopefully things will change next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

danganabu wrote: »

Galway are back training this week according to a interview I read with Micheal Donoghue. Doesn't sound like anything too hectic though.

Two close teams going at it in the under 21A final Sunday will the shamrocks leave the trophy cabinet empty in Larchfield or will the village put in a performance like they did in the second half of the senior semifinal bring home silverware. The best of luck to both teams good hurlers on the two teams.

its a hard one to call,the village probably slight favourites after beating the favourites boro,ballyhale could be coming into form at the right time,it should be a good match with lots of good talent on show,id probably lean to a narrow shamrocks win.

County Final off until next weekend. Club draws for next year are tonight i think

The convention is called off due to weather conditions until the end of the week on RTE sports am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Community Radio Kilkenny City - Team of the Championship

The Community Radio Kilkenny Sports team invites GAA supporters to pick their team of the championship. This year the nominees include players who participated in the Senior, Intermediate and Junior Hurling Championships.

The nominees are as follows:

Goalkeeper

Darragh Holohan (Dicksboro); Derrick Brennan (James Stephens); Michael Gannon (St. Patrick’s, Ballyragget).

Full-Back Line

Joey Holden (Ballyhale Shamrocks); Tom Aylward (Mullinavat); Conor Delaney (Erin’s Own); John Dalton (Carrickshock); Conor O’Shea (Clara); David Hennessy (James Stephens); Paul Murphy (Danesfort); Enda Morrissey (Bennettsbridge); Niall Delaney (James Stephens).

Half-Back Line

Richie Reid (Ballyhale Shamrocks); Thomas Kenny (Dicksboro); Cillian Buckley (Dicksboro); Mark Mansfield (Mullinavat); Huw Lawlor (O’Loughlin Gaels); Conor Fogarty (Erin’s Own); Owen McGrath (John Lockes); Stephen Staunton (St. Patrick’s, Ballyragget), Joe Lyng (Rower Inistioge).

Centre Field

Geoff Brennan (St. Patrick’s, Ballyragget); Ollie Walsh (Dicksboro); Robbie Fitzpatrick (Dicksboro); David Langton (Clara); Willie O’Dwyer (Mullinavat); Paddy Deegan (O’Loughlin Gaels).

Half-Forward Line

T.J. Reid (Ballyhale Shamrocks); Luke Scanlon (James Stephens); Oisín Gough (Dicksboro); Shane Stapleton (Dicksboro); Nicky Cleere (Bennettsbridge); Padraig Walsh (Tullaroan); Kevin Kelly (St. Patrick’s, Ballyragget); Walter Walsh (Tullogher Rosbercon); Michael Rice (Carrickshock).

Full-Forward Line

Tadgh O’Dwyer (James Stephens); Bill Sheehan (Dicksboro); John Joe Farrell (Thomastown); Sean Ryan (Graigue Ballycallan); Robbie Donnelly (Thomastown); John Walsh (Mullinavat); Chris Bolger (Clara); Colin Fennelly (Ballyhale Shamrocks); Brian ‘Brooky’ Phelan (St. Patrick’s Ballyragget).

Send your team selection plus your choice for the 2017 Kilkenny Club Hurler of the Year to the Community Radio Kilkenny City Sports Team e-mail sportcrkc@gmail.com. The closing date for entries is the 31st December and the team will be announced the following weekend on Community Radio Kilkenny City. A prize will be awarded to the winning entry.

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/2124

robwen wrote: »
    Community Radio Kilkenny City - Team of the Championship

The Community Radio Kilkenny Sports team invites GAA supporters to pick their team of the championship. This year the nominees include players who participated in the Senior, Intermediate and Junior Hurling Championships.

The nominees are as follows:

Goalkeeper

Darragh Holohan (Dicksboro); Derrick Brennan (James Stephens); Michael Gannon (St. Patrick’s, Ballyragget).

Full-Back Line

Joey Holden (Ballyhale Shamrocks); Tom Aylward (Mullinavat); Conor Delaney (Erin’s Own); John Dalton (Carrickshock); Conor O’Shea (Clara); David Hennessy (James Stephens); Paul Murphy (Danesfort); Enda Morrissey (Bennettsbridge); Niall Delaney (James Stephens).

Half-Back Line

Richie Reid (Ballyhale Shamrocks); Thomas Kenny (Dicksboro); Cillian Buckley (Dicksboro); Mark Mansfield (Mullinavat); Huw Lawlor (O’Loughlin Gaels); Conor Fogarty (Erin’s Own); Owen McGrath (John Lockes); Stephen Staunton (St. Patrick’s, Ballyragget), Joe Lyng (Rower Inistioge).

Centre Field

Geoff Brennan (St. Patrick’s, Ballyragget); Ollie Walsh (Dicksboro); Robbie Fitzpatrick (Dicksboro); David Langton (Clara); Willie O’Dwyer (Mullinavat); Paddy Deegan (O’Loughlin Gaels).

Half-Forward Line

T.J. Reid (Ballyhale Shamrocks); Luke Scanlon (James Stephens); Oisín Gough (Dicksboro); Shane Stapleton (Dicksboro); Nicky Cleere (Bennettsbridge); Padraig Walsh (Tullaroan); Kevin Kelly (St. Patrick’s, Ballyragget); Walter Walsh (Tullogher Rosbercon); Michael Rice (Carrickshock).

Full-Forward Line

Tadgh O’Dwyer (James Stephens); Bill Sheehan (Dicksboro); John Joe Farrell (Thomastown); Sean Ryan (Graigue Ballycallan); Robbie Donnelly (Thomastown); John Walsh (Mullinavat); Chris Bolger (Clara); Colin Fennelly (Ballyhale Shamrocks); Brian ‘Brooky’ Phelan (St. Patrick’s Ballyragget).

Send your team selection plus your choice for the 2017 Kilkenny Club Hurler of the Year to the Community Radio Kilkenny City Sports Team e-mail sportcrkc@gmail.com. The closing date for entries is the 31st December and the team will be announced the following weekend on Community Radio Kilkenny City. A prize will be awarded to the winning entry.

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/2124

Some very strange nominees on the list ?

Paul Murphy Danesfort
    Walter Walsh Tullogher
    Colin Fennelly Ballyhale
    Joe Lyng Rower/ Inistioge

I can name at least 10/12 on each club team who played better than the above in last years club championship. Some of the names nominated is a general insult to club players who played well in last years championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Paul Murphy Danesfort
    Walter Walsh Tullogher
    Colin Fennelly Ballyhale

I can name at least 10/12 on each club team who played better than the above in last years club championship. Some of the names nominated is a general insult to club players who played well in last years championship

Agreed, some lazy, standardised nominees in that list for sure. Never agreed or took much interest in these kind of things anyway. Same with that club team of year via Michael Lyng a few years ago.

Can suffer huge bias and be heavily skewed by the weight of one or more opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Sounds like there's going to be a lot of AN Others.

How is Conor Browne not even nominated ? Geoff was Brennan was very average in the Semi Final and final where he lined out wing half back and he is nominated as a midfielder. Robbie Donnelly played one game and he is nominated. Eoin Larkin not even nominated. Walter Walsh must have been unbelievable when Tullogher got bet in the first round to get nominated. Ridiculous and insulting to the Kilkenny hurling public the list of nominations

Paul Murphy Danesfort
    Walter Walsh Tullogher
    Colin Fennelly Ballyhale

I agree some strange nominations,lads like colin and murphy are there on their reputations more than some of the performances.Tom keough was good in the semi final and final.shane walsh had his moments especially good against gowran.mossy keoghan and paul holden all had good seasons.
    Holohan will get the goal
    Dalton still as steady as ever.enda morrisey had a good relegation final but I'd go for aylward and delaney.
    Richie reid and buckley will definitely make the half back line
    Willie dywer should get a spot in mf,I'd have robbie fitz with him.
    Scanlon,kevin kelly,padraig walsh although Shane stapleton was a big addition to the boro,very accurate free taker.
    Bolger was claras go to man,john walsh the same for vegas,john joe was excellent against gbc in mf.tadgh o dwyer and sheean and sean ryan were also dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Big write up/report of the court case over the Eye-Incident in the Kilmacow V Glenmore Junior Final in 2015 , in The Kilkenny People.
    Very unfortunate, and hard to believe that it would be done on purpose!? Or was it intentional/accidental ?
    The accused was cleared anyway, so it was classed as 'Not Intentional' ......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    Big write up/report of the court case over the Eye-Incident in the Kilmacow V Glenmore Junior Final in 2015 , in The Kilkenny People.
    Very unfortunate, and hard to believe that it would be done on purpose!? Or was it intentional/accidental ?
    The accused was cleared anyway, so it was classed as 'Not Intentional' ......

What way would costs work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

its a hard one to call,the village probably slight favourites after beating the favourites boro,ballyhale could be coming into form at the right time,it should be a good match with lots of good talent on show,id probably lean to a narrow shamrocks win.

Without saying much.......I believe the Ballyhale team that supposedly set to start this weekend is going to cause some suprise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Without saying much.......I believe the Ballyhale team that supposedly set to start this weekend is going to cause some suprise

Yep well from what I heard the antics of a few players on Sunday night Monday morning left the management with no option. From what I heard their dead right to drop the players involved, not that they were doing anything illegal or outrageous but another player was dropped for the previous match for similar breech of common sense and the same rule should apply across the board no matter who the players are.

Yep well from what I heard the antics of a few players on Sunday night Monday morning left the management with no option. From what I heard their dead right to drop the players involved, not that they were doing anything illegal or outrageous but another player was dropped for the previous match for similar breech of common sense and the same rule should apply across the board no matter who the players are.

The accused will be joining us from next year i heard today!

PeterCasey wrote: »
    What way would costs work out.

Id imagine the Harneys will have to cover the cost for both parties ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Accused of what ? :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Village87 wrote:

There was a rumour that 2 out of the 4 in the family were joining ye about 2 years ago aswell. Wonder where this stuff comes from!

I'd say ye'll be welcome to them, with the carry on from them but more so from one of the parents.:rolleyes:

greenspurs wrote: »
    Accused of what ? :confused:

Their accused of nothing! They hung themselves by posting incriminating Whatsapp messages/photos/videos at 5 and 6 in the morning to the teams Whatsapp group. If there was a facepalm emoji on here I'd use it for this stupidity/arrogance that they were undropable.

Their accused of nothing! They hung themselves by posting incriminating Whatsapp messages/photos/videos at 5 and 6 in the morning to the teams Whatsapp group. If there was a facepalm emoji on here I'd use it for this stupidity/arrogance that they were undropable.

I dunno the ins and outs of what happened but it's a shame that 2 of the lads who I presume are being talked about are in the spotlight are really good prospects and have potential to be good senior hurlers.I know there young but their discipline could hold them back.

On a separate note I see kierans are playing cbs but I know adrian mullen repeated his leaving cert but is he underage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

brookville wrote:
    On a separate note I see kierans are playing cbs but I know adrian mullen repeated his leaving cert but is he underage?

An A. Mullan scored 2 points in the last game so guessing it was him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gaaman123

Were the draws made for next years league yet?

An A. Mullan scored 2 points in the last game so guessing it was him.

Yea I seen that but didn't see him listed up to the comer match the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

gaaman123 wrote: »
    Were the draws made for next years league yet?

Shamrocks, O'Loughlins, Comer, Danesfort, Bbridge, The Rower

Ballyragget, Clara, Dicksboro, Village, Mullinavat, Carrickshock

Lots of away jerseys needed in the second group

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Shamrocks, O'Loughlins, Comer, Danesfort, Bbridge, The Rower

Ballyragget, Clara, Dicksboro, Village, Mullinavat, Carrickshock

Lots of away jerseys needed in the second group
    Did the intermediate draw take place also?

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »
    Did the intermediate draw take place also?

Yeah one group is very strong the other not so

Ballycallan
    Glenmore
    Tullaroan
    tomastown
    freshford
    Tullogher

Callan
    muckalee
    fenians
    mooncoin
    lisdowney
    Gowran

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Yea I seen that but didn't see him listed up to the comer match the other day.

He opted out of the league supposedly to concentrate on his studies... pity he didn't have his head stuck in a book last Sunday!

Anyone know what the rules are regarding club eligibility? Can the Mullens' play for the Village based on the fact that their father hurled for them even if they are not living in the parish and never had any direct connection with the club?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Anyone know what the rules are regarding club eligibility? Can the Mullens' play for the Village based on the fact that their father hurled for them even if they are not living in the parish and never had any direct connection with the club?
    Word has it a number of the Shamrocks lads would be happy to buy them a caravan and park it around Nuncio Rd for them.

As far as I'm aware you the rule would go something like this.

1. You hurl for the club in the parish which you grow up in.
    2. You can continue to hurl for this club if you leave the area later on.
    3. You change and join the club in the area to which you move too either.
    4. Doesn't matter who your father hurled with if you don't live in the parish you can't hurl for them unless you live there.

Heard the exact same thing as Shirleysrumbler, this situation has been boiling under the surface for years with this family and their total lack of respect for the club. While I'm sure the club would be sad to see them go from a hurling side of things, they'd also have a much happier, more cohesive club without them by the sounds of it.

4. Doesn't matter who your father hurled with if you don't live in the parish you can't hurl for them unless you live there.

Heard the exact same thing as Shirleysrumbler, this situation has been boiling under the surface for years with this family and their total lack of respect for the club. While I'm sure the club would be sad to see them go from a hurling side of things, they'd also have a much happier, more cohesive club without them by the sounds of it.

Yeah, thought the rules were something along those lines. But obviously there are ways around it. The Walshes ( Tommy, Martin, Padraig and Shane) spent most of their lives living in Ballycallan parish but hurl for Tullaroan. And the Scanlons' (Luke and Ryan) live/lived in Clara all their lives and went to school and hurled with Clara NS but hurl with the Village at club level.

Yeah, thought the rules were something along those lines. But obviously there are ways around it. The Walshes ( Tommy, Martin, Padraig and Shane) spent most of their lives living in Ballycallan parish but hurl for Tullaroan. And the Scanlons' (Luke and Ryan) live/lived in Clara all their lives and went to school and hurled with Clara NS but hurl with the Village at club level.

The Walshs live about 25 yards from the border with Tullaroan and in a bit of an anomaly in the GBC parish which condemned them to be stuck in the wrong parish. I'm fairly sure their parents went to both the bishop and the county board to sort that out when they were kids and they were given clearance to play for Tullaroan in perpetuity. The Scanlons your correct about up to a point but the family moved back into town (as far as I'm aware) for the lads to be eligible to play for the Village, which they did. There are others, like Michael Rice actually lived in Thomastown parish but just outside Stoneyford so he hurled for Carrickshock.

I did a bit more research and it seems to be down to each county how they impose the rules and from talking to a few of the KK countyboard over the years their happy to turn a blind eye in most cases and try and preempt any trouble by having the clubs and players involved sit down and discuss it. They will impose the rules but prefer if everyone can get along. An approach I agree with personally.

From the research I did, the rule is basically this.
    1. What ever club you play your first competitive match for is your club. This is any match in a official competition at U13 grade or over. You can move from this area and always be entitled to play for this club.
    2. You can request a club transfer to another club and this will be adjudged by the Co. Board. This has to be renewed annually if you don't move to the area of the new club. It can be rejected any year.
    3. Each club has a catchment area (parish) from which their players should be living in, unless a transfer case as above. If a player outside the catchment area (x) plays for club (x) but if club (y) where the player lives, object to them playing with club (x), then there is usually a meeting between the clubs and the county board to adjudicate each individual case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

I am baffled again by the fixtures committee. There are only two hurling matches in Kilkenny this weekend and somehow they have managed it so that supporters can not attend both matches. The North u21 B final between Clara and Martin's starts at 12 noon in Freshford and Ballyhale and Stephens is on at 1. 30 pm in the Park. The first match will end about 1.15pm. It will be about 1.30 pm by the time you get the car started and 2pm by the time you get the car parked at Nowlan Park and 2.15 when you get to the stand. It really isn't rocket science. The fixtures committee continue to carry on this stupidity throughout the year. You have supporters leaving matches early and speeding along country roads and abandoning cars to try and make a match. Please, please, please leave 2 1/2 hours between matches at different locations. Why act so stupidly?

With the walsh cup starting in two and a half weeks what kinda lads would we like to see tried and in what positions?I'd like to see darren brennan tried in the goal.I'd like to see tom aylward tried at 3 with maybe delaney tried on the half back line.id like to see richie reid also tried in the hb line.any info on how training is going and is there still a large number involved?

Kevin fennelly was on the local radio saying the 3 mullens won't be playing tomorrow and was saying how they didn't drink at michaels wedding saturday but went out sunday and monday because the match was cancelled,lads can make up there own mind but Id say people down there have mixed opinions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement