Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

brookville wrote: »
    Kevin fennelly was on the local radio saying the 3 mullens won't be playing tomorrow and was saying how they didn't drink at michaels wedding saturday but went out sunday and monday because the match was cancelled,lads can make up there own mind but Id say people down there have mixed opinions.
    Its the team I feel sorry for if that is going to happen, as regards with what people said about them playing with the village would they open there arms to them highly unlikely .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Kevin fennelly was on the local radio saying the 3 mullens won't be playing tomorrow and was saying how they didn't drink at michaels wedding saturday but went out sunday and monday because the match was cancelled,lads can make up there own mind but Id say people down there have mixed opinions.

It seems nuts to me that this is being discussed on public radio. You'd swear it was a national team being analysed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

What arrogance and delusion from the man. His nephews were totally out of order, were pulled up for it by their club who in effect are throwing away any prospect of an U21 county title and he condones them (nephews). If that's the advice thise lads are listening to them they are only getting started in a world of trouble.

From talking to several people I went to school with from Ballyhale, it is very much one sided, people who never would have been vocal before about club issues, siding with club strongly on this. The Fennelly / Mullens closing ranks and throwing shapes about leaving the club etc - from what I can understand, the club had no choice, lose a highly respected U21 management team or disipline the three players who were fully aware another U21 player had been dropped the previous week.

Sorry mess but no one family should feel rules don't apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

That interview comes across terrible for the Fennellys/Mullans, who is the Shamrocks u21 management?

robwen wrote: »
    That interview comes across terrible for the Fennellys/Mullans, who is the Shamrocks u21 management?[/quote

Tom coogan was manager,I think joey was involved.are they still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭larrya

What rubbish coming from Kevin Fennelly.Which isn't really a surprise I suppose.
    This situation has been building over the last few years, the people in question have a complete lack of respect for anyone in the club.Its not the first time this year that this has happened.
    I would say fair play to the management and club for taking a stand even if it costs them a chance of winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Kevin Fennelly has let himself down even agreeing to do that interview.

Car crash stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

BoroMan32 wrote: »

Car crash stuff.
    I've known Kevin ( and his brothers) most of my life.Two things strike me.The last generation of Fennellys had what it took and would never have disobeyed an ,"Edict" issued to ensure victory.Only Mick's lads( Colin & Mick Junior) have the same ruthlessness in this generation. The Puck's interview oozed a " flakiness" evident in a few of Kilkenny's "Snowflake Minors" in the last decade. Give me Paddy Deegan,Luke Scanlon or Conor Browne or John Donnelly anyday over a prima Donna.

Car crash stuff.[/Q
    When you are a fool you will always let yourself down when you talk, we were blessed with the Co Board that they got rid of him when they did he put a team out in an all Ireland it must have been the worst prepared kilkenny team that ran out on to Croke park all Ireland final day.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

robwen wrote: »
    That interview comes across terrible for the Fennellys/Mullans, who is the Shamrocks u21 management?[/quote

Tom coogan was manager,I think joey was involved.are they still there?

Joey and Paddy Reid are selectors with Tom Coogan as far as i know.

With the walsh cup starting in two and a half weeks what kinda lads would we like to see tried and in what positions?I'd like to see darren brennan tried in the goal.I'd like to see tom aylward tried at 3 with maybe delaney tried on the half back line.id like to see richie reid also tried in the hb line.any info on how training is going and is there still a large number involved?

As far as i am aware the seniors are still working away with a panel of the best part of 50 including 10 under 21's who are working exclusively with BC and DJ is working with his own group of 30 with the 21's.

One major objective in the Walsh Cup should be the full back spot and while Aylward is probably worth looking at i would have doubts about his mobility come summer. Conor Delaney is the guy i would like to see given a good shot at it though unfortunately he hasn't been getting a lot of game time in the position with the club who seem to use him as a half back and at College level with DCU where he plays centre back as Eoghan O'Donnell is their full back. Agree with you on Richie Reid, worth taking a look at as a half back as we have an outstanding young goalie in Darren Brennan as backup/competition for Eoin Murphy.

As far as i am aware the seniors are still working away with a panel of the best part of 50 including 10 under 21's who are working exclusively with BC and DJ is working with his own group of 30 with the 21's.

One major objective in the Walsh Cup should be the full back spot and while Aylward is probably worth looking at i would have doubts about his mobility come summer. Conor Delaney is the guy i would like to see given a good shot at it though unfortunately he hasn't been getting a lot of game time in the position with the club who seem to use him as a half back and at College level with DCU where he plays centre back as Eoghan O'Donnell is their full back. Agree with you on Richie Reid, worth taking a look at as a half back as we have an outstanding young goalie in Darren Brennan as backup/competition for Eoin Murphy.

From talking to comer lads they think his better out hb but I think his after improving at u21 full back and he was probably 3 years at full back for the 21s,tom aylward doesn't seem the quickest but his definitely worth a look his being very steady at club level and I think his as fast as rob lennon who has being in and out of the team.
    We'll be without Kevin Kelly for early next year as well I wonder will padraig walsh be tried half foward.
    Enda morrisey is another worth a look maybe at corner back.
    Will we have the college lads for the walsh cup?

From talking to comer lads they think his better out hb but I think his after improving at u21 full back and he was probably 3 years at full back for the 21s,tom aylward doesn't seem the quickest but his definitely worth a look his being very steady at club level and I think his as fast as rob lennon who has being in and out of the team.
    We'll be without Kevin Kelly for early next year as well I wonder will padraig walsh be tried half foward.
    Enda morrisey is another worth a look maybe at corner back.
    Will we have the college lads for the walsh cup?

Well they kicked the College teams out of the competition because it turned out to be a bit of a joke as they were fielding B teams as they were minding their first teamers for the Fitzgibbon so any students will be allowed to play with their counties. I would imagine any newcomers would be very keen to make themselves available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Delighted for the shamrocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

The three boyos got their answer today.

Well done to all the management and players on the field.

Shamrocks 2-11 J. Stephens 0-16 FT.

Fair play to the shamrocks,late flurry and won by a point,the village left it behind them according to the mikey walsh.Tadgh dwyer had a chance to level it but went for a goal that was saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Absolute scenes. Shamrocks management are some heroes now.

Some year for the Village. Losing minor, U21 and senior finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The three boyos got their answer today.

Well done to all the management and players on the field.

Shamrocks 2-11 J. Stephens 0-16 FT.

Wonder Will they be invited to the celebrations :)

• Advertisement

They'd be a fair addition to Carrigeen in 18 all the same.

Absolute scenes. Shamrocks management are some heroes now.

Some year for the Village. Losing minor, U21 and senior finals

And the 16's!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

If ever there was an example of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, today was it.

Well they kicked the College teams out of the competition because it turned out to be a bit of a joke as they were fielding B teams as they were minding their first teamers for the Fitzgibbon so any students will be allowed to play with their counties. I would imagine any newcomers would be very keen to make themselves available.

You'd imagine daleney,donnelly,john walsh and darren brennan should be near starting especially walsh cup.hopefully blanchfield can get the form he had last year.I think jason cleere was getting corrective surgery.kevin kelly needs to nail down a start next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

They were at the match today but left before the cup was presented. Fair play to the management team for laying down a marker. The Village were five points ahead late on and will wonder how they lost this as they were the better team. The concession of two soft goals hurt them and I thought that they were unlucky with some refereeing decisions. Eoin Cody and Evan Shefflin did well for Ballyhale with Joey Cuddihy dissapointin. Conor Browne, Luke Scanlon, Niall Brassil and Tadgh ODwyer at times were best for the Village who were down to 14 after John McEvoy was sent off with 15 minutes to go. An entertaining game with a couple of skirmishes and credit to both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Comerman

Good game alright, the Village should of won but poor refereeing was part of their downfall. Scanny should of got a free on the 21 with seconds to go but nothing and how he picked Johnny Mac out of the bunch of players in the skirmish to send off was baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Fair play to shamrocks selecters for sticking to there principle ....it took a bit of nerve with these lads being involved with county teams....by all accounts they needed a good kick up the arse

davidx40 wrote: »
    Fair play to shamrocks selecters for sticking to there principle ....it took a bit of nerve with these lads being involved with county teams....by all accounts they needed a good kick up the arse

Don't underestimate for a second what was on the line for Shamrocks today, I've never seen their supporters so hyped. Lose (even closely) and the win at all costs brigade would destroy the club via AGM and bad mouthing.

The Shamrocks got lucky, their team used up all their lives but isn't it wonderful to see that principles can count. The three lads that were disciplined have a big big decision to make, their (ex) team mates showed some guts....should really have been bet by 6/7 points but showed exactly what Mr. Kevin Fennelly said they didnt have 'guts and determination' - will he be back on next Saturday on KCLR to do a review, I'd love to hear it?

blackcard wrote: »
    Eoin Cody and Evan Shefflin did well

Both nephews of the great man...

I'd love to be in Henry's head all week...has Tom Coogan just sorted out in 3/4 x days what it might have taken him 3-4 x months?

I got one text after the match I liked "Shamrocks finally hurl to Mullen's expectations but their in the stand'

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I'd love to be in Henry's head all week...has Tom Coogan just sorted out in 3/4 x days what it might have taken him 3-4 x months?

I got one text after the match I liked "Shamrocks finally hurl to Mullen's expectations but their in the stand'

All very interesting but does anybody else feel enough has been said about an underage issue with one club which I wont say just involes 3 young lads drinking after their first cousins wedding but certainly was triggered by it. Hopefully things get sorted out because they look like very talented players and I would have thought before all this happened that Ballyhale were the perfect club to develop them further.

• Advertisement

Regrettably neither Adrian( Minor Semi) or Darren U21AIF) showed any guts this year. I doubt B Cody will call in people with huge commitment issues in the near future.

Regrettably neither Adrian( Minor Semi) or Darren U21AIF) showed any guts this year. I doubt B Cody will call in people with huge commitment issues in the near future.

Adrian was good in the Leinster minor championship, got man marked by an excellent Galway player in the semi final. Pretty sure Darren didnt start under 21 final and the match was gone by the time he came on. Darren has also come back from 2 cruciate ligament injuries I understand, possibly not up to your high keyboard commitment standards but seems to show some dedication to me.

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Darren has also come back from 2 cruciate ligament injuries.

He has and he deserves massive credit for that - if those chaps could get away from the mentality of stubborn and arrogant uncle(s) and stand on their own two feet, they have the potential to be massive players for Shamrocks and Kilkenny but will they now take the hard road (knuckle down with their club) or 'vanity' road, look for some magical club that has easy answers?

get away from the mentality of stubborn and arrogant uncle(s)

Not only the uncle's seemingly, I was told by a family member earlier in the year that the father wanted to train them separately from the teams himself. Great hurlers but don't get too high above yourselves.

I presume darren is involved with dj is adrian going to play or would he be allowed?
    Today will be a hard defeat for the village to take,i heard the ref was a bit harsh on the village near the end,couldn't attend myself but ragon I missed it.

The ref gave at least 5 soft frees to the shamrocks in the first half all in scoring positions But the Village relying on the goalie to take frees inside the shamrocks half was poor to be honest

The Shamrocks official response to Kevin's interview should be 10 x minutes of laughter followed by two words 'fu*k you'....

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭larrya

As a shamrocks supporters I agree this has been discussed more about than it should have been in public .But this was more than just a match, and I have never seen scenes like I did today, including club all Ireland's with proper club members in tears, it was building with a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Village87

Disappointing result, ref was shocking . But look fair play Ballyhale, brave call by the management but proved genius as it unsettled our camp.
    Some kick up the back side for all the Fennelly's who think they are the Shamrocks club.

Even though it's disappointing for us its great to see team effort and spirit rewarded in the manner the Shamrocks provided yesterday.

On another note i would not like toe see the Mullens or Fennellys join our club if they consider leaving Ballyhale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Who do the shamrocks put forward as u-21 captain for the county next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Just on the Kevin Fennnelly interview, he referenced the club chairman a couple of times. Is his brother Mick senior not club chairman?

minty81 wrote: »

Joey cuddihy or darren mullen I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Just on the Kevin Fennnelly interview, he referenced the club chairman a couple of times. Is his brother Mick senior not club chairman?

No I think John Keneally was the chairman in 2017 but I'm open to correction on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Joey cuddihy or darren mullen I'd say
    I can't imagine the latter being captain after that debacle

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

phkk wrote: »

21s is gone 20 now

• Advertisement

Will Ronan Corcoran be over age next year.

21s is gone 20 now

Thats just for football

phkk wrote: »

What debacle....?

Club disiplines 3 x players....brothers and scion of established Shamrocks family.

Suspended players (and extended family) don't accept disipline...send a family representative to put their case forward on local KCLR and he gives the best case ever that some people should just be struck dumb.

Club manages to find & field 15 non disciplined players including one previously disciplined player..game goes ahead..

Team and club ride their luck, finally get some leeway with a ref who previously has been perceived as 'harsh' towards them. Village player sent off correctly but at least one Shamrocks player should have walked on two yellows.

A centre back scores 1-01 in last 3 x mins.

Shock win for the team shorn of it's stars...principles proved or karma prevailing...

Do you put it down to the luck of the irish then.

PeterCasey wrote: »
    Will Ronan Corcoran be over age next year.

Yep, Corcoran is over age. I would imagine Joey Cuddihy will be the nominated captain whether he will make the team is another question so Darren Mullen could end up as the match day captain by default!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement