Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

dubcat51 wrote: »
    For me playing our best players in their best positions is the most impirtant thing.(padraig back out to half back )rchie fully fit and the likes of bolger awylard cleere etc stepping up and pushing on.

That still leaves the big question of who plays full and centre back. Conor Delaney and Jason Cleere would be the ones that id try first. Can't say id be 100% confident that either will be successful there long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Agree about cleere and delaney but we have the walsh cup and league to try out players and find the answers.watching padraiig against waterford this year compared to last year was l8ke watching 2 different players.Im sorry joyce has gone (got a raw deal imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I think the 2 best full backs locally we have are tom alyward and delaney both these lads need to be tried at 3,conor o shea deserves another go at 4 he was doing ok before injury last year.I'd try richie reid,buckley,walsh in the hb line.fogarty needs to go back to his best pposition mf maybe joined by leahy.
    The big thing in the forwards is getting hogan and aylward back fit colin and kevin kelly will be a help when there back but hogan at 11 with wally and tj is a strong line and I'd have john walsh inside with bolger and alyward.
    Obviously I'd hope lads like john donnelly,conor doheny are given gametime early spring and maybe one of these lads might be nearer than we think to making a step up.
    Does anyone know what kinda team is expected next week in the walsh cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

conor05 wrote: »
    The abiding memory I have of Mick Fennelly was in the second half of 2015 when Galway’s so called ‘hard man’ Andy Smyth was taunting TJ Reid while he was taking a free. Mick walked over and drove Andy back about 6 feet with 2 or 3 shoves in the chest and Smyth didn’t want to know, got taken off 10 mins later. Mick was a strong hardy tough nail, great athlete and even better hurler.

Mick Fennelly was a truly great hurler but I don't think running down one of his fellow hurlers is the way to remember him. Poor form. We all have stories like that about opposition players.

By the way it must only be outside Galway that Andy Smyth was considered a "hard man" because that wasn't his reputation inside the county. Far from it in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Mick Fennelly was a truly great hurler but I don't think running down one of his fellow hurlers is the way to remember him. Poor form. We all have stories like that about opposition players.

By the way it must only be outside Galway that Andy Smyth was considered a "hard man" because that wasn't his reputation inside the county. Far from it in fact.

Aw spare me the outrage. Smith merits only scorn for his behaviour on the pitch. Constantly squaring up to lads, bumping off them but most annoying of all standing over the ball for an opposition free. Was it small man syndrome? Was he trying to show someone just how tough he was taking on allcomers? I'm not surprised he didn't carry on like that at club level. I'd say the Loughrea lads wouldn't have put up with that ****e for long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Remember no Paul Murphy and Colin Fennelly - away on tour so they'll miss all of the National League. 2 places available through these games.

Loads of places up for grabs now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Remember no Paul Murphy and Colin Fennelly - away on tour so they'll miss all of the National League. 2 places available through these games.

I think the league is going to be a complete washout this year, with the new redicilous provincial structures in place the league will become the equivilant to the Walsh Cup/Waterford Crystal type cpompetitions. Whatever about the Leinster teams where there is some leeway in the provincail groups the Munster one is going to be ultra competitive, I would say the last thing thoise counties want is a League final/semi final a couple of weeks before hand. Panels are going to be stretched enough planing 4 out of 5 weeks without carrying in injuries and fatique from the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

I agree about the league. Teams who go full belt at it may suffer down the line. You basically need to peak twice a year for two batches of games in the new structure.
    But looking at the Mick Fennelly situation, I think he could have been managed to target certain games. Its clear he can't play week on week. But in the championship we play Dublin first week, he could be rested for week 2 against Offaly, back for week 3 v Galway, week 4 is no game and week 5 v wexford. So he wouldn't be required in consecutive weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Maybe the management is looking a fresh start and all the 'older' lads have moved on. Core of lads around 28 now and young lads to complement them. Another new moulding exercise for Cody and the management this year.

Must bare in mind - no Jackie, Shefflin, Tommy, Larks, JJ, Joyce, Richie Power, Mick F, etc. so we're in the pack nowadays with a bit of catching up to do.

I'm looking forward to this season. We'll see who the leaders are and who's going to push on and look like senior players!

Best of luck to all concerned as the Walsh Cup starts tomorrow evening.

** Game now starts at 7pm. **

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Maybe the management is looking a fresh start and all the 'older' lads have moved on. Core of lads around 28 now and young lads to complement them. Another new moulding exercise for Cody and the management this year.

Must bare in mind - no Jackie, Shefflin, Tommy, Larks, JJ, Joyce, Richie Power, Mick F, etc. so we're in the pack nowadays with a bit of catching up to do.

I'm looking forward to this season. We'll see who the leaders are and who's going to push on and look like senior players!

Best of luck to all concerned as the Walsh Cup starts tomorrow evening.

** Game now starts at 7pm. **

Fennelly was finished the night he went down in Thurles for the previous couple of years he was under major pressure with injuries that night was serious blow to him after all he did that year to get himself right but the man he was fought the battle put the jersey on once more. As you said new leaders need to stand up looking forward hoping to new beginings.

• Advertisement

I hope we won't see lads like tj or hogan tomorrow night or sunday against kildare I know lads are mad to hurl but surely with all the holes to fill we'll see lots of new faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Any news on the 26 for tomorrow evening? I know there is a sizeable group training but tomorrow evening should see some new faces.

Any news on the 26 for tomorrow evening? I know there is a sizeable group training but tomorrow evening should see some new faces.

I'd expect maybe 2 different teams for tomorrow and the weekend.I presume cody will be over them and not dj.It'll be interesting to see what kinda team is selected or can anything be taken for the year ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Heard the team v Laois but cannot remember it all.

1 Darren Brennan 2? 3 Robert Lennon 4 Paddy Deegan 5 Conor Browne 6 Joe Lyng 7? 8 Evan Cody 9? 10? 11 John Donnelly 12 Richie Reid 13 Alan Murphy 14 Conor Martin 15 Chris Bolger

ps A certain Darren Mullen already gone off the panel. Cody not going to entertain his attitude or antics in there which is good to see. Swift action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Village87

Colin Fennelly and Paul Murphy do not return until mid May, Kilkenny will have 2 championship games played at that stage.

We may forget about them until July at least.

Very hard to hit the ground running when out of the country for 6 months leading into the season

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Heard the team v Laois but cannot remember it all.

1 Darren Brennan 2? 3 Robert Lennon 4 Paddy Deegan 5 Conor Browne 6 Joe Lyng 7? 8 Evan Cody 9? 10? 11 John Donnelly 12 Richie Reid 13 Alan Murphy 14 Conor Martin 15 Chris Bolger

ps A certain Darren Mullen already gone off the panel. Cody not going to entertain his attitude or antics in there which is good to see. Swift action.
    I'm disappointed to hear bout mullen but I'm not surprised but hopefully he can stay with the 21s and progress from that during the summer,I think his a good hurler with something to offer.
    On the team above its good to see brennan getting a run in goal his a good goalie

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Just a thought with being blessed with decent depth in goalkeepers with Murphy, brennan and holohan be interesting to see if they tried Murphy outfield like he does for Glenmore especially in the Walsh cup

Dont think the move for Eoin Murphy out the field would be a good one. Too many negatives to outweigh the positives. He is the best goalkeeper in the country. He is more than competent in midfield or the half forward line but he would be too much of a loss outfield in my opinion.
    To put Brennan in as sub goalie might be a better move if Richie Reid was to impress in the full or half back line.
    Hopefully the lads will hit the ground running this evening. It will be a new set up for some but the hunger and willingness to become part of the 26 later in the year should spur lads on to prove themselves. If it doesnt then im afraid they dont deserve a place. But we will find out soon enough in the walsh cup and the league itself.

We dont need a new goalkeeper as good as brenann is.lets stop moving certain starters out of their best positions and try and find answers for where were short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Comerman

brookville wrote:
    I'm disappointed to hear bout mullen but I'm not surprised but hopefully he can stay with the 21s and progress from that during the summer,I think his a good hurler with something to offer. On the team above its good to see brennan getting a run in goal his a good goalie

Team according to programme. Darren Brennan. Colin Mcgrath. Robert Lennon. Stephen Staunton. Enda Morrissey. Joe Lyng. Conor Brown. James Maher. Huw Lawlor. John Donnelly. Richie Reid. Ger Malone. Alan Murphy. Conor Martin. Michael Brennan. Disappointed no Conor delany on the panel.

• Advertisement

HTC. Laois 1.5 KK 3.8

Kk 3-8 to 1-5 ahead half time.James maher working hard mf good to see him back,conor martin,bolger and richie reid with the goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Comerman wrote: »
    Team according to programme. Darren Brennan. Colin Mcgrath. Robert Lennon. Stephen Staunton. Enda Morrissey. Joe Lyng. Conor Brown. James Maher. Huw Lawlor. John Donnelly. Richie Reid. Ger Malone. Alan Murphy. Conor Martin. Michael Brennan. Disappointed no Conor delany on the panel.

They are playing again at the weekend against Kildare. Likely to have 15 different players starting in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

5-16 to 1-5 after 51 minutes

#we'reback
    #justgiveusLiamnow
    #driveforfive

5-16 to 1-5 after 51 minutes

#we'reback
    #justgiveusLiamnow
    #driveforfive

6:24 to 1-11 a decent run out.
    Wasn't at the match. Any news on who took the game by the scruff? What was the shape of the team like?

Wasn't at the match. Any news on who took the game by the scruff? What was the shape of the team like?

I was at it.conor martin the stand out in thought but the game fizzled out as you'd expect.james maher was good in the first half.lennon done OK full back.deegan was lively corner back.good few changes during the match I'd no programme.
    Lots of wides as you'd expect but lads were trying to do the right thing and find lads instead of route one which was nice to see

brookville wrote:
    I was at it.conor martin the stand out in thought but the game fizzled out as you'd expect.james maher was good in the first half.lennon done OK full back.deegan was lively corner back.good few changes during the match I'd no programme. Lots of wides as you'd expect but lads were trying to do the right thing and find lads instead of route one which was nice to see

Agreed, I'd also give Donnelly a mention. They played a great short passing to the man off the shoulder kind of game instead of the hit it high and hope for the best stuff.

Comerman wrote: »
    Agreed, I'd also give Donnelly a mention. They played a great short passing to the man off the shoulder kind of game instead of the hit it high and hope for the best stuff.

Yea donnelly done well it's no harm to expose some of these lads to this level.we'll probaly see a different panel for the weekend.

Why are the ballyragret boys playing.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

brookville wrote: »

I was at it.conor martin the stand out in thought but the game fizzled out as you'd expect.james maher was good in the first half.lennon done OK full back.deegan was lively corner back.good few changes during the match I'd no programme.
    Lots of wides as you'd expect but lads were trying to do the right thing and find lads instead of route one which was nice to see
    Among those on who came on as subs were Joey Holden, Luke Scanlon and Sean Morrissey. I like Conor Martin. Able to take a score off both sides. I thought that he did well in the league against Dublin last year. Interesting that Cody was in charge as he hasn't been for the first couple of matches in recent years. Some of the goals were well taken with nice combinations to set them up. Definitely lads looking to play intelligent balls into the forwards. I wouldn't be ruling anyone in or out based on today playing against Laois on heavy ground but I was pleased with the effort made and style of hurling attempted

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KKCAT2018

I was at the game. Some very nice play from our guys. Always looking for the man in a better position.
    Nice to see it.

No 15 o can't think of his name. Played well and worked very hard. James Maher was good in the first half. Alot of very nice passing going on. All in all I liked the style of play.

More of the same going forward and we'll give other teams something to think about.

KKCAT2018 wrote: »
    I was at the game. Some very nice play from our guys. Always looking for the man in a better position.
    Nice to see it.

No 15 o can't think of his name. Played well and worked very hard. James Maher was good in the first half. Alot of very nice passing going on. All in all I liked the style of play.

More of the same going forward and we'll give other teams something to think about.

I think bolger was 15 alan murphy was 13 and on the frees.bolger done some nice things.conor martin was good tonight hopefully he can back them up his there 2 or 3 years now but he might have something.
    I was surprised to see ballyragget lads involved with a big match coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KKCAT2018

I think bolger was 15 alan murphy was 13 and on the frees.bolger done some nice things.conor martin was good tonight hopefully he can back them up his there 2 or 3 years now but he might have something.
    I was surprised to see ballyragget lads involved with a big match coming up.

According to the programme No 15 was Michael Brennan from Ballyragget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

KKCAT2018 wrote: »
    According to the programme No 15 was Michael Brennan from Ballyragget.

He could of being but brennan played right half foward bolger was left corner but brennan done well but as I said it was hard to take much from it especially the 2nd half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Village87

Good start from Kilkenny. Kilkenny should have a strong Walsh Cup and League. They are back training nearly 10 weeks now. ahead of most counties at this stage, positive start

While I agree kk have a headstart lots of teams are back around november if there not in the all Ireland it usually balances itself out during the year.
    I wonder will dj be allowed use his 21s next sunday kk are probably through to the next stage are they?

While I agree kk have a headstart lots of teams are back around november if there not in the all Ireland it usually balances itself out during the year.
    I wonder will dj be allowed use his 21s next sunday kk are probably through to the next stage are they?

I presume kildare will play laois but getting past kildare Sunday in freshford will get them into a semi final. The major emphasis has to be seeing how the new lads adapt. A few good showings will give them confidence to bring to the league. Our problems last year weren't restricted to our backs. Our whole play seemed to be to get rid asap. This was bound to happen as we couldn't continue the run we had after losing so many players. Hopefully they are more in tune with each other this year. We have to start drawing backs out of their comfort zone like other teams try against us. We have the players and competitions like the Walsh cup and league will sort out who wants it or not.

Leahy, Maher, Martin and Donnelly have their chance now along with others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

I presume kildare will play laois but getting past kildare Sunday in freshford will get them into a semi final. The major emphasis has to be seeing how the new lads adapt. A few good showings will give them confidence to bring to the league. Our problems last year weren't restricted to our backs. Our whole play seemed to be to get rid asap. This was bound to happen as we couldn't continue the run we had after losing so many players. Hopefully they are more in tune with each other this year. We have to start drawing backs out of their comfort zone like other teams try against us. We have the players and competitions like the Walsh cup and league will sort out who wants it or not.

Leahy, Maher, Martin and Donnelly have their chance now along with others.

Laois beat Kildare last weekend

The winners of our group are playing offally/westmeath so its a great chance for the fringes to get game time I hope the fringe lads are used in this competition.hopefully we'll see the other half of fringe lads sunday.
    Is john power back on the panel does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Why are Galway not in the Walsh? Looking at this stage like yourselves against Dublin or Wexford final unless something weird happens! You wonder really all the same at point of teams like Kildare, Meath, Antrim and even Laois at this stage being sent out for ritual hidings. Last night's games proved that anyone getting a start for Kilkenny or Dublin is not going to be taking it handy with places up for grabs under new regimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Are they sulking because they are not getting matches at home.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Why are Galway not in the Walsh?
    PeterCasey wrote: »
    Are they sulking because they are not getting matches at home.

What would Galway possibly gain from entering the Walsh cup? Neither Watefrod or Tipperary entered the Munster equivilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

danganabu wrote: »
    What would Galway possibly gain from entering the Walsh cup? Neither Watefrod or Tipperary entered the Munster equivilant.

The same as any top team, you test your fringe or new players to see where their at.

Also was talking to one of the players and he said half the squad were going up on Wednesday and that we'll pretty much have the other half in Freshford on Sunday.

The same as any top team, you test your fringe or new players to see where their at.

They are a complete waste ot time to be perfectly honest, far better to organise your own challenge matches rather than having glorified ones imposed on you. Galway are only just back in proper collective training and will get far more benefit from that than playing Walsh Cup.

What you will learn about a fringe player in a turkey shoot against a Christy Ring team that you wouldnt learn in training or a challenge match is questionable.

Same as any other team I suppose. I can see the pre-season competitions being cancelled. Pity really that they are being de-valued as good chance to see who is coming up. Fringe players unlikely to be getting much league time now.

you are correct about "turkey shoots." Hard to see benefit of that, but Walsh Cup has been decent competition over past ten years.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Same as any other team I suppose. I can see the pre-season competitions being cancelled. Pity really that they are being de-valued as good chance to see who is coming up. Fringe players unlikely to be getting much league time now.

you are correct about "turkey shoots." Hard to see benefit of that, but Walsh Cup has been decent competition over past ten years.

Not as familiar with the Walsh CUp as I would with the Munster one to be perfectly honest, with the Munster one as soon as they brought the colleges into it, that was the end of it. The new provincial championship structures is the final nail in the coffin, the League will become less important/relevant and the early season competitions just slip further down the chain.

i heard the first 9 of the club team of the year earlier,no huge suprises,holohan in goal,conor Delaney,tom alyward and john dalton in the full back line,conor fogarty,buckley and eoin McGrath in the half back line,robbie fitz and willie o dwyer in mf.i thought Richie reid,oillie walsh and maybe rice can count themselves unlucky but that'll always be the case with these sort of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

I thought Michael Gannon was the outstanding goalie last year. Wouldn't have an issue with the rest of the team

Not as familiar with the Walsh CUp as I would with the Munster one to be perfectly honest, with the Munster one as soon as they brought the colleges into it, that was the end of it. The new provincial championship structures is the final nail in the coffin, the League will become less important/relevant and the early season competitions just slip further down the chain.

The colleges not taking part in Walsh means that quite a significant number of county or aspirant county players will be training for Fitzgibbon rather than playing for counties. Galway not taking part is their own business but probably is good indicator of where it is on the radar of serious teams.

Pity really as always liked the competition and as a Dub it provided us with some rare highlights over the years like beating stripey lads in 2003 final in packed Parnell Park. It will not continue on present basis. Kilkenny playing Kildare, Wexford against Wicklow. What is the point? Cats could field 1978 team and win.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement