Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

It seems to be the general consensus here that there will be a different team out tomorrow. Anyone any idea what the make up of the panel will be like for freshford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

It seems to be the general consensus here that there will be a different team out tomorrow. Anyone any idea what the make up of the panel will be like for freshford?

Haven’t heard anything about who will line out tomorrow but you’d be hoping to see the likes of Conor Delaney, Tom Awlyard, Tommy Walsh, Conor Doheny, Billy Ryan, John Walsh getting a run tomorrow. Will they go with Darren Brennan in goal again tomorrow or will Murphy or Darragh Holohan be in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Very good interview with Michael Fennelly on RTE today. He spoke very eloquently about his often lonely battle against injury over the last four years. However what struck me is that he felt that it took him about 4 years of strength and conditioning before he felt able to compete at inter county level. This is something to bear in mind as we look to younger players to come to the fore.
    I had to laugh when the interviewer reminded him that he had interceded with Brian Cody to bring back on Richie Hogan in extra time against Waterford last year. A couple of months later, Richie and Mick were seriously squaring up to each other during a club match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Haven’t heard anything about who will line out tomorrow but you’d be hoping to see the likes of Conor Delaney, Tom Awlyard, Tommy Walsh, Conor Doheny, Billy Ryan, John Walsh getting a run tomorrow. Will they go with Darren Brennan in goal again tomorrow or will Murphy or Darragh Holohan be in them?
    is darragh holohan on the senior panel?id prefer not to see any senior lads like murphy tomorrow or even for the walsh cup id much rather fringe players used. It's impossible to guess a team for tomorrow but id like to see the lads listed above get gametime

brookville wrote: »
    is darragh holohan on the senior panel?id prefer not to see any senior lads like murphy tomorrow or even for the walsh cup id much rather fringe players used. It's impossible to guess a team for tomorrow but id like to see the lads listed above get gametime

Not sure if Holoahan is on the panel but as you said I’d prefer to see fringe and young players get a game to see how they go and help build a panel for the year ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I'm sure the teams being pick are at least partly influenced by the Fitzgibbon Cup, makes more sense to give players who wont be playing much games at this time of year game time. Interesting to see Conor Browne and Bill Sheehan on the panel last week giving they werent involved with the under 21s last year. Always thought Cody but far more emphasis on club form than underage intercounty form.

The team for today as per John Knox on Twitter:

Darren Brennan
    Tommy Walsh, Conor Delaney, Ryan Bergin
    Simon Awlyard, Conor O’Shea, Mark Mansfield
    Ollie Walsh, Huw Lawlor
    Liam Blanchfield, Colm Prenderville, M Keoghan
    Kevin Farrell, Billy Ryan, John Walsh

Good to see fringe lads getting a run that's what this competion is about while we might not learn a whole lot it'll give confidence to the younger lads.I think the whole county wants to see delaney or tom alyward tried at 3 hopefully both will see league time in that position also lads like billy ryan and john walsh are lively and might add something during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Big year for Blanchfield as well. He has had a good few run outs so time to push on now and claim a place on the first 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

Big year for Blanchfield as well. He has had a good few run outs so time to push on now and claim a place on the first 15.

Decent win in Freshford today. Opposition very average. Ryan Bergin very good corner back, Tommy Walsh very sure in the other corner too, John Walsh was very sharp & finished anything he got excellently, Conor O'Shea decent centre back, Martin Keoghan got on a lot of ball in half forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Comerman

suirway wrote: »
    Decent win in Freshford today. Opposition very average. Ryan Bergin very good corner back, Tommy Walsh very sure in the other corner too, John Walsh was very sharp & finished anything he got excellently, Conor O'Shea decent centre back, Martin Keoghan got on a lot of ball in half forwards.
    Agree fully,was impressed with Bergins confidence and I thought John Walsh looked very comfortable on the ball and took some great scores. Bill Sheehan got on a lot of ball in the opposite corner too. Things are looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Early days lads but good to see different lads get a run out. Already seems better than last year with better intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Topcat32 wrote: »
    I'm sure the teams being pick are at least partly influenced by the Fitzgibbon Cup, makes more sense to give players who wont be playing much games at this time of year game time. Interesting to see Conor Browne and Bill Sheehan on the panel last week giving they werent involved with the under 21s last year. Always thought Cody but far more emphasis on club form than underage intercounty form.

Conor Browne wasn't involved with the 21's last year because he spent the summer working and hurling in Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Tbh I wasn't overly impressed with the performance today but I wouldn't be writing anyone off playing on a cold January day on a spongy pitch. Ollie Walsh did ok while he was on. John Walsh had some good touches and Ryan Bergin got on a lot of ball when he was on, seemed to be a loose man. Interesting to see four Mullinavat men on the pitch today. Conor Delaney not really tested today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

I've just bought tickets for the league game against tipp coming from the uk can't wait

I wouldn't be too critical of lads thrown together in the first week of the year lads are trying to do the right thing and that's all you can ask for.the management have looked at over 30 different players in 2 matches that they won by 20 points each.The offally match will be another step up in class.A win there will mean a home final against wex/dub which would be nice rehearsal before the opening round of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

Comerman wrote: »
    suirway wrote: »
    Agree fully,was impressed with Bergins confidence and I thought John Walsh looked very comfortable on the ball and took some great scores. Bill Sheehan got on a lot of ball in the opposite corner too. Things are looking good.
    LOL, bookies are paying out on Kilkenny for the All Ireland after that magnificent win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

i heard the first 9 of the club team of the year earlier,no huge suprises,holohan in goal,conor Delaney,tom alyward and john dalton in the full back line,conor fogarty,buckley and eoin McGrath in the half back line,robbie fitz and willie o dwyer in mf.i thought Richie reid,oillie walsh and maybe rice can count themselves unlucky but that'll always be the case with these sort of things

Is the full team listed anywhere?

Formosa wrote: »
    LOL, bookies are paying out on Kilkenny for the All Ireland after that magnificent win.
    I wasn't talking about the win, what I liked was the fact that the team look sharper and fitter and are back moving the ball around more instead of the puck it and see attitude.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Decent run out from the lads and its hard to be too critical, especially given the conditions but it is time for the lads to make a positive showing for themselves.

Brennan - not a whole lot to do but seems a super keeper. wont dislodge muyrphy any time soon though.
    Tommy Walsh - was ok and did what was required of him.
    Conor Delaney - As above with Tommy but i do like to look of him.
    Ryan Bergin - In as a replacement and i thought did very well.
    Simon Aylward - Seems decent.
    Conor o shea - gets on an amount of ball, seems to have trimmed up and looks fit but needs to be more commanding in the air to try to win his own ball.
    Mark Mansfield - Like aylward looked decent in the half back line but the half back line as a whole need to be more dominant in the air.
    Ollie Walsh - no doubting his skill and went well yesterday
    Huw Lawlor - didnt think he was on top of his game yesterday
    Liam Blanchfield - He is one that we may be depending on later in the year. Very strong and always looking for the ball.
    Colum Prenderville - 1st start. looks ok but not effective enough at centre forward but hard to be critical as it was his 1st day out.
    Martin Keoghan: Looked decent, got a couple of points as well.
    Kevin Farrell: very good hurler but needs time. frees werent great yesterday.
    Billy Ryan: Undoubted talent, wasnt outstanding yesterday but will hold a place on the panel i think.
    John Walsh: Small enbough frame but took scores very well. would work a lot better on faster ground too.

Scanlon, sheehan, jowy and more came in. all three will be there or thereabouts come the panel shake up.

John Walsh looked good along with blanchfield, ollie walsh and bergin.
    After going 6 points to no score up we found it hard to win our own ball and a lot of passes went astray but all in all considering the conditions the game served its purpose to look at different guys.
    I presume there will be more new starts this sunday v offaly mixed with some from yesterday and some from the laois match.

That match is down for Saturday at 2 stripes,

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Decent run out from the lads and its hard to be too critical, especially given the conditions but it is time for the lads to make a positive showing for themselves.

Brennan - not a whole lot to do but seems a super keeper. wont dislodge muyrphy any time soon though.
    Tommy Walsh - was ok and did what was required of him.
    Conor Delaney - As above with Tommy but i do like to look of him.
    Ryan Bergin - In as a replacement and i thought did very well.
    Simon Aylward - Seems decent.
    Conor o shea - gets on an amount of ball, seems to have trimmed up and looks fit but needs to be more commanding in the air to try to win his own ball.
    Mark Mansfield - Like aylward looked decent in the half back line but the half back line as a whole need to be more dominant in the air.
    Ollie Walsh - no doubting his skill and went well yesterday
    Huw Lawlor - didnt think he was on top of his game yesterday
    Liam Blanchfield - He is one that we may be depending on later in the year. Very strong and always looking for the ball.
    Colum Prenderville - 1st start. looks ok but not effective enough at centre forward but hard to be critical as it was his 1st day out.
    Martin Keoghan: Looked decent, got a couple of points as well.
    Kevin Farrell: very good hurler but needs time. frees werent great yesterday.
    Billy Ryan: Undoubted talent, wasnt outstanding yesterday but will hold a place on the panel i think.
    John Walsh: Small enbough frame but took scores very well. would work a lot better on faster ground too.

Scanlon, sheehan, jowy and more came in. all three will be there or thereabouts come the panel shake up.

John Walsh looked good along with blanchfield, ollie walsh and bergin.
    After going 6 points to no score up we found it hard to win our own ball and a lot of passes went astray but all in all considering the conditions the game served its purpose to look at different guys.
    I presume there will be more new starts this sunday v offaly mixed with some from yesterday and some from the laois match.
    Agreed with most of that although I was very disappointed with the overall team performance and some individuals. While I certainly would not rule out any bodys potential on the basis of game in a cold soggy January game I thought alot of lads failed to make any impression at all. 
    Though best displays were from Bergin, Mansfield, Ollie Walsh, John Walsh and Mossy Keoghan. As mentioned previously after Laois game there seems to be an emphasis on a strong spare man running off the shoulder game plan.... with Mansfield point in second half as prime example.
    John Walsh took his goals well along with a superb individual point from the sideline in the second half but being better opposition would have prevented those goals opportunities in the first place but he took the chances presented to him all the same. Mossy Keoghan really is a hurler I think can make serious impression and addition to the panel with a bit of fine tuning in his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

I dont think you can seriously take anything from these matches bar the players fittness is improved ....its very hard to judge players in these games with the standard so low ......

Very good article by kerian bergin in yesterdays paper about demands of players both intercounty and club .....its gone completely over the top ......totally agree about his point on 1% of players holding up other 99% ....this intercounty thing has to change ....you should be available for all your club matches if you get injured so be it ..you have same chance getting injured training in nowlan park ....we are losing players all over the country because of fixture delays caused by stupid county team managers ....it has to change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

davidx40 wrote: »
    I dont think you can seriously take anything from these matches bar the players fittness is improved ....its very hard to judge players in these games with the standard so low ......

Very good article by kerian bergin in yesterdays paper about demands of players both intercounty and club .....its gone completely over the top ......totally agree about his point on 1% of players holding up other 99% ....this intercounty thing has to change ....you should be available for all your club matches if you get injured so be it ..you have same chance getting injured training in nowlan park ....we are losing players all over the country because of fixture delays caused by stupid county team managers ....it has to change

Thought Bergin came across as very bitter in the article to be honest and although he made a couple of valid points they were somewhat lost as it was clear he had a personal axe to grind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

I wouldn't agree that he was very bitter and just did it to bite back. His points are extremely valid, take the point about working in Pfizer and being 10 mins late (actually 50 mins early for official start time) cos of his job for training. Also being questioned over and over about drinking like he was a child and the management trying to catch him out. I would be confident that intercounty players all over the country would completely agree with him but nobody currently playing wants to say it and step out of line as it could cost him a spot on the team or panel.

I wouldn't agree that he was very bitter and just did it to bite back. His points are extremely valid, take the point about working in Pfizer and being 10 mins late (actually 50 mins early for official start time) cos of his job for training. Also being questioned over and over about drinking like he was a child and the management trying to catch him out. I would be confident that intercounty players all over the country would completely agree with him but nobody currently playing wants to say it and step out of line as it could cost him a spot on the team or panel.

Won't go into any details here or on any public platform to be honest but lets just say not all senior intercounty players are treated like that if what he alleges is true of course, funnily enough he had no problem with it until he was no longer first choice.

Of course we are also to ignore the fact that he lied about his reasons for leaving the hurlers, just as he had lied about his reasons for returning from the states. He claimed in 2104 that being a Tipp hurler was the greatest and proudest achievement of his life and he was in a very priviligied position, another lie of we are to believe his latest rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Village87

Bergin must have a chip on the Shoulder, Kilkenny would have been under pressure to beat Tipp that year in the final only Bergin was playing. Very very average player, slow, poor striker of the ball and poor in the air, Riche Power caught a ball over his head for a very important goal. Lucky to get what he did out of hurling when he did. Im sure he can thank his hurling for his place and scholarship in college.
    Stupid attention seeking article if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ttowncat

davidx40 wrote: »

You wouldn't be able to upload a couple of good quality pics of the actual newspaper article if possible? Wld appreciate it greatly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Village87 wrote: »
    Bergin must have a chip on the Shoulder, Kilkenny would have been under pressure to beat Tipp that year in the final only Bergin was playing. Very very average player, slow, poor striker of the ball and poor in the air, Riche Power caught a ball over his head for a very important goal. Lucky to get what he did out of hurling when he did. Im sure he can thank his hurling for his place and scholarship in college.
    Stupid attention seeking article if you ask me.[/QUOT

Was that not part of that Kilkenny team that they were all able to win the high ball make use of it especially a player of Ritchie Power caliber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    i heard the first 9 of the club team of the year earlier,no huge suprises,holohan in goal,conor Delaney,tom alyward and john dalton in the full back line,conor fogarty,buckley and eoin McGrath in the half back line,robbie fitz and willie o dwyer in mf.i thought Richie reid,oillie walsh and maybe rice can count themselves unlucky but that'll always be the case with these sort of things

Is the full team listed anywhere?

I can't remember number 10 but the rest was kevin kelly at 11 and stapelton from boro at 12,bill sheehan at 13,tadgh dwyer at ff at brookie at 15 I think that was the line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Jesus can you imagine being in a team with someone who does as much moaning as Bergin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Jesus can you imagine being in a team with someone who does as much moaning as Bergin?

Comerman wrote: »
    That match is down for Saturday at 2 stripes,

I presume the team will be made up of the 30 something lads we seen so far.Hopefully we'll see a few more fringe players added to the 26.
    I'd like to see more of deegan corner back he has pace and could be a dark horse for corner back.
    Hopefully the experimenting continues this weekend I wouldn't be too bothered about the result.

PeterCasey wrote: »
    Stupid attention seeking article if you ask me.[/QUOT

Was that not part of that Kilkenny team that they were all able to win the high ball make use of it especially a player of Ritchie Power caliber.

Yes it was but my argument is that was Bergin was a weak link and weak link gets found out when the pressure is at its highest, i watched him for a few years i thought he was always there for the taking. Im sure Brian Cody noticed it too

Some job picking a team for Championship now:

Will Paul Murphy & Colin Fennelly play any part this year ?
    Colin be a big addition, Paul Murphy not as much.
    Any news on Richie Hogan ?
    Not so sure Conor o'Shea is the answer Centre back ?
    Was a poor wing forward for his club a few years back, is Joe Lyng a better option.

5 stand out players to start:
    Padraig Walsh
    TJ Reid
    Walter Walsh
    Eoin Murphy
    Richie Hogan

Open season after them 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Some job picking a team for Championship now:

Will Paul Murphy & Colin Fennelly play any part this year ?
    Colin be a big addition, Paul Murphy not as much.
    Any news on Richie Hogan ?
    Not so sure Conor o'Shea is the answer Centre back ?
    Was a poor wing forward for his club a few years back, is Joe Lyng a better option.

5 stand out players to start:
    Padraig Walsh
    TJ Reid
    Walter Walsh
    Eoin Murphy
    Richie Hogan

Open season after them 5

Walter Walsh ? Stand out player ? jeepers !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    Walter Walsh ? Stand out player ? jeepers !

Well i do think he is a starter, All Star 2016. I cant think of many better players than TJ who is better than Walter in the air and brings that physicality.

• Advertisement

It actually did become a problem from members of the panel that I have spoken to, particularly newer members of the panel. Also ironic that you use the phrase 'Jesus' Kieran actually 'found God' after his return from the states!

Yes it was but my argument is that was Bergin was a weak link and weak link gets found out when the pressure is at its highest, i watched him for a few years i thought he was always there for the taking. Im sure Brian Cody noticed it too

Considering Kieran only made his debut 12 months before that game Im going to call bullsh*t on this!

danganabu wrote: »
    Considering Kieran only made his debut 12 months before that game Im going to call bullsh*t on this!

Maybe not a few years but i did think he was weak link on the team IMO, if you didn't well that is your opinion

Maybe not a few years but i did think he was weak link on the team IMO, if you didn't well that is your opinion

I do agree that he wasnt the most polished of hurlers but was an honest grafter, weak link of that team was the lack of work rate in the half forward line, not something Bergin could ever be accused of to be fair to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Harsh on our captain not being a standout player.

Also despite your dislike of him Conor Fogarty is a guaranteed starter. Or at least he should be.

Well i do think he is a starter, All Star 2016. I cant think of many better players than TJ who is better than Walter in the air and brings that physicality.

Inconsistent, sometimes laid back and other time can lose the head a bit, but when on form definitely a standout player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Whats ye're opinion on season ticket? €120 now. Admission to all league games, 1st game in championship and discount on other championship group games - can't seem to find what the discount is.
    Is it worth it?

Harsh on our captain not being a standout player.

Also despite your dislike of him Conor Fogarty is a guaranteed starter. Or at least he should be.

Apologies forgot about Buckley, Fogarty needs to offer more for me. Whats his position ?

minty81 wrote: »
    Whats ye're opinion on season ticket? €120 now. Admission to all league games, 1st game in championship and discount on other championship group games - can't seem to find what the discount is.
    Is it worth it?
    I don't think the value is there to be honest it was better value a few years ago.

Apologies forgot about Buckley, Fogarty needs to offer more for me. Whats his position ?

Have a feeling that you are teeing up another chance to go through Conor's faults but I think as proven in 2 all ireland finals his best position is midfield, I don't particularly rate him as a halfback so other than midfield id see him as an option at corner back.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Topcat32 wrote: »

Have a feeling that you are teeing up another chance to go through Conor's faults but I think as proven in 2 all ireland finals his best position is midfield, I don't particularly rate him as a halfback so other than midfield id see him as an option at corner back.

What about full back? I'd have much preferred him tried there last year with Padraig Walsh on the wing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement