Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Walter walsh a stand out player come off it....and hes far from good in air.....very inconsistent .....have we ever gone into new year with so few starters

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

davidx40 wrote: »
    Walter walsh a stand out player come off it....and hes far from good in air.....very inconsistent .....have we ever gone into new year with so few starters

Well he is a starter for sure whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Village87

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Well he is a starter for sure whether you like it or not.

Should start. Id deploy Buckley midfield, good athlete can get around the field, can replace Michale Fennelly. Padraig Walsh at wing back and Walter Walsh at wing forward with Richie Hogan No.11 and TJ close to goal at full forward. Eoin Murphy in the goal. Rest depends on form who steps up etc.

Village87 wrote: »
    Should start. Id deploy Buckley midfield, good athlete can get around the field, can replace Michale Fennelly. Padraig Walsh at wing back and Walter Walsh at wing forward with Richie Hogan No.11 and TJ close to goal at full forward. Eoin Murphy in the goal. Rest depends on form who steps up etc.
    I think Buckley gets lost in midfield, runs around and trys to get involved in everthing but ends up not doing much a lot of time, half back is by far his best position in my opinion.

I think Buckley gets lost in midfield, runs around and trys to get involved in everthing but ends up not doing much a lot of time, half back is by far his best position in my opinion.

His performance going forward v Tipp last year in Thurlus was exceptional, adds another dimension going forward, i do know where your coming from tho when out of the game midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Why dont KK introduce their own version, of club only season ticket. I would pay €80-100 for a ticket which included all games. The county + club one is too much at 200.
    Is it not their, because clubs would lose money at the gate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

His performance going forward v Tipp last year in Thurlus was exceptional, adds another dimension going forward, i do know where your coming from tho when out of the game midfield

That game was on TG4 last night. Great game. Buckley was great at mid-field. He chipped in with 2 points running off the shoulding from deep. Mobile and has a good engine too.

That game was on TG4 last night. Great game. Buckley was great at mid-field. He chipped in with 2 points running off the shoulding from deep. Mobile and has a good engine too.

TJ was excellent that day too. Some awful defending when looking at the game last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

TJ was excellent that day too. Some awful defending when looking at the game last night

Yeah, defending, for the goals, was brutal alright. Simple mistakes in clearing the ball. All last year seemed to be the same in terms of poor defending. We coughed up some bad scores from our point of view.

Part of that came from playing people out of position but showed great heart in that game. .T.J.'s 2 penalties were quality. Games under lights, however unnatural, always seem more exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Well i do think he is a starter, All Star 2016. I cant think of many better players than TJ who is better than Walter in the air and brings that physicality.

Wally jumps down when there is a high ball..
    Hes 6"4 and should win waaay more ball than he does , and doesn't use his physicality enough imo.
    And as someone else mentioned , he can be very inconsistent.
    And, what is his best position??

I reckon KK will struggle to make any impact on the Championship this year. The players just aren't there. New era looms.

(thank god we are finished talking about yer man from tipp) :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    Wally jumps down when there is a high ball..
    Hes 6"4 and should win waaay more ball than he does , and doesn't use his physicality enough imo.
    And as someone else mentioned , he can be very inconsistent.
    And, what is his best position??

I reckon KK will struggle to make any impact on the Championship this year. The players just aren't there. New era looms.

(thank god we are finished talking about yer man from tipp) :rolleyes:

On the other hand he is mobile for a man of his size, is very strong, and on his good day is well able to take a score and is a good distributor of the ball, his ability under the high ball for a man of his size does let him down and even on his good days he seems to go missing for 10 minutes at a time, I think the key is to keep him involved as much as possible, he will mix the good with the bad but will make an impact.

I thought he won a deserved all star in 2016. Like all the Kilkenny forwards he was stuck to the ground last year. Id imagine tho that opposition defences would be more worried about him in a championship game than Chris Bolger, Kevin Kelly or John Walsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

PeterCasey wrote: »

Yes it was but my argument is that was Bergin was a weak link and weak link gets found out when the pressure is at its highest, i watched him for a few years i thought he was always there for the taking. Im sure Brian Cody noticed it too

You are a funny man .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Some job picking a team for Championship now:

Will Paul Murphy & Colin Fennelly play any part this year ?
    Colin be a big addition, Paul Murphy not as much.
    Any news on Richie Hogan ?
    Not so sure Conor o'Shea is the answer Centre back ?
    Was a poor wing forward for his club a few years back, is Joe Lyng a better option.

5 stand out players to start:
    Padraig Walsh
    TJ Reid
    Walter Walsh
    Eoin Murphy
    Richie Hogan

Open season after them 5

Lots of spots up for grabs this year us supporters will have to be patient and give lads a chance to bed in.
    It's a big year for kevin kelly his being excellent for his club and hopefully he can step it up with the county.
    It looks like darren brennan will be our sub keeper this is a good move although I'd like to see richie reid tried in defence and not the fowards.
    I wonder padraig walsh be tried in the hf line personally I'd like to see a half back line of walsh,buckley and reid tried during the league.
    As I said I could see deegan as a dark horse for corner back I'd like to see tom alyward and delaney tried in the full back line although I'd be afraid of the lack of pace but both are worth trying.
    Conor fogartys best position is mf but leahy and oillie walsh could be tried here while scanlon still has some filling out to do,good to see James maher back after his horrible injury.
    Donnelly,conor martin,chris bolger,john walsh and maybe billy ryan should see league time and push for a places on the panel in the summer.

brookville wrote: »
    Lots of spots up for grabs this year us supporters will have to be patient and give lads a chance to bed in.
    It's a big year for kevin kelly his being excellent for his club and hopefully he can step it up with the county.
    It looks like darren brennan will be our sub keeper this is a good move although I'd like to see richie reid tried in defence and not the fowards.
    I wonder padraig walsh be tried in the hf line personally I'd like to see a half back line of walsh,buckley and reid tried during the league.
    As I said I could see deegan as a dark horse for corner back I'd like to see tom alyward and delaney tried in the full back line although I'd be afraid of the lack of pace but both are worth trying.
    Conor fogartys best position is mf but leahy and oillie walsh could be tried here while scanlon still has some filling out to do,good to see James maher back after his horrible injury.
    Donnelly,conor martin,chris bolger,john walsh and maybe billy ryan should see league time and push for a places on the panel in the summer.

Ollie Walsh can go in and out of games a lot its a big year for him this year like Kevin Kelly, John Walsh, Bill Ryan linked up well last sunday it was good to see, Liam Blanchfield seems to be gone back a lot his passes were way off I know its early yet but he seems to be where he left off last year. You wonder about James Maher in the middle of the field he could be worth a try.

You are a funny man .

How ?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Ryan Bergin impressed in 1st half on Sunday, he was on and off the u-21 team during the championship last year but was left off the panel altogether for the All Ireland... seemed strange at the time and even stranger on Sunday after seeing how well he was going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I like the look of your half back line but I think Cody likes Joe Lyng and I think he’ll be in there be it at Centre or wing back. Personally I think he could do a Mick Fennelly type job at midfield.

As you say there are lots of spots up for grabs this year and we will have to be patient but with the players you named above aswell as a few more we won’t be short of talent and if we can get a settled team and a bit of momentum during the league we won’t be as far off as some people would have us believe.

I like the look of your half back line but I think Cody likes Joe Lyng and I think he’ll be in there be it at Centre or wing back. Personally I think he could do a Mick Fennelly type job at midfield.

As you say there are lots of spots up for grabs this year and we will have to be patient but with the players you named above aswell as a few more we won’t be short of talent and if we can get a settled team and a bit of momentum during the league we won’t be as far off as some people would have us believe.

you could be right about joe lyng its a big year for lads like him conor o shea,conor martin and kevin Kelly all there a few years they should be trying to nail down a spots after being on the fringes for the last few years.
    hopefully the team will be mixed around again at the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Another big kk retirement with Brian Gavin sailing into the sunset.could be Cody's biggest lose yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭LooseCannonUF

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Another big kk retirement with Brian Gavin sailing into the sunset.could be Cody's biggest lose yet

Why? Because he let the game flow in a manner that it should. You must be from Tipp. Or another bitter county.

you could be right about joe lyng its a big year for lads like him conor o shea,conor martin and kevin Kelly all there a few years they should be trying to nail down a spots after being on the fringes for the last few years.
    hopefully the team will be mixed around again at the weekend

Yeah the league for Conor Martin and Conor O’Shea will be very important, if either of them struggle you wouldn’t be surprised to see them gone off the panel by the start of the championship.

I agree that we should continue to mix up the team selection for the next few weeks but I think we need to get the spine of our team settled very early. At the minute we can’t say with a great deal of certainty who our starting fb, cb or midfield will be.

Any idea when the first round of club fixtures are scheduled ? Must be the weekend of March 31st/1st April i presume.
    Is there 2 or 3 rounds of club matches in April ?

Any idea when the first round of club fixtures are scheduled ? Must be the weekend of March 31st/1st April i presume.
    Is there 2 or 3 rounds of club matches in April ?

I’m not a 100% sure but I think the first round was provisionally down for the following week but I’m open to correction on that! There a county board meeting Monday night hopefully things will be a bit clearer after that.

boggerman1 wrote: »

He said on one of the papers during the week that the qualifiers game in2013 between Tipp V kilkenny was one game he enjoyed refereeing . One thing about him he wouldn't have let Padraig Maher away with what he did in 2012 all Ireland semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

• Advertisement

Tough game on a horrible day.Good fight shown from the faithful which is good to see.kk will be dissapointed to conceed 3 goals with an experienced defence but I'm sure there was more learned today than the last 2 matches.richie reid continuing his good form in the forwards along with leahy.bill sheehan hard working but John walsh dissapointing.
    Overall I'd say there delighted to get a home match next week and a chance to look at a few more lads next weekend.

Tough game on a horrible day.Good fight shown from the faithful which is good to see.kk will be dissapointed to conceed 3 goals with an experienced defence but I'm sure there was more learned today than the last 2 matches.richie reid continuing his good form in the forwards along with leahy.bill sheehan hard working but John walsh dissapointing.
    Overall I'd say there delighted to get a home match next week and a chance to look at a few more lads next weekend.

Well done, I know it’s not yer full team, we’ve a few new lads also.
    Ye got a handy free on the build up to the goal.
    We missed a couple of frees also.
    Pity that we didn’t identify that the long ball in was causing chaos, we might have troubled ye more.

I know it’s not yer full team, but promising signs from us nonetheless, yet again it’s the Walsh Cup, and ye have loads of lads to come into the fold yet. We’ve a few out injured, but hopefully we’ll be competitive, and retain Leinster status.

A soft free led to the kk goal.At times during the second half kk threatened to pull away but fair play to offally they kept tipping away with the goals keeping them in it although they should of being further ahead at half time.I think everyone wants to have a competitive offally kevin martin should get the best out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

A few positives for Kilkenny. Cillian Buckley grew into the game. Richie Reid scored five points and was prominent throughout the game. John Donnelly caught some good ball and Richie Leahy had good moments. Padraig Walsh was very rusty but came into the game when he went to right half back late. I would like to see Buckley and Padraig at centre back and right back respectively. A lot of players struggled and gave the ball away and it was very disappointing to give away three goals, 2 of which were long balls to a forward at the edge of the square. Difficult for both teams on soft ground. KK were lucky to be only a point down at half-time helped by a couple of missed frees by OY. KK were better in the second half scoring 11 times to OY's 3 but 2 of these were goals. KK gave the ball away a lot and had a lot of poor touches. I hope the weather improves for the league as you may not learn much from playing league matches in February on heavy ground.

Would I be right in saying only 3 lads that started today started last week?conor o shea,sheehan and john walsh?huge changeover week to week.nearly all of last week's team not even on today's panel.
    Cody seems keen on deegan corner back and lennon at 3.
    It's good that a few of the 21s are getting gametime,donnelly,sheehan,leahy and mossy hopefully it'll stand to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Would I be right in saying only 3 lads that started today started last week?conor o shea,sheehan and john walsh?huge changeover week to week.nearly all of last week's team not even on today's panel.
    It's good that a few of the 21s are getting gametime,donnelly,sheehan,leahy and mossy hopefully it'll stand to them
    Couldn't see Deegan making in at corner back, don't think he is fast enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Sheehan didn't start in Freshford but came on at halftime if memory serves me right along with Joey Holden who started today I think.

There's very little to be taken from these games but they're useful for fringe players to get a run out and a small feeling for what may be ahead of they can stick around.

Sheehan didn't start in Freshford but came on at halftime if memory serves me right along with Joey Holden who started today I think.

There's very little to be taken from these games but they're useful for fringe players to get a run out and a small feeling for what may be ahead of they can stick around.

I forgot sheehan came on but the point I was making was its nearly a different panel every week and it'll probably be the same next weekend,everyone is getting a look which is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

He said on one of the papers during the week that the qualifiers game in2013 between Tipp V kilkenny was one game he enjoyed refereeing . One thing about him he wouldn't have let Padraig Maher away with what he did in 2012 all Ireland semi final.

Don’t know about that he left Tyrell away with enough over the years and didn’t Tommy Walsh strike him with the Hurley and no sanction?

Don’t know about that he left Tyrell away with enough over the years and didn’t Tommy Walsh strike him with the Hurley and no sanction?

I think we have had enough complaining from Tipp lads after retirements for now thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I think we have had enough complaining from Tipp lads after retirements for now thanks.

What Tipp lads??

Don't let one trolls views represent true Tipp supporters, just like I won't let a previous posters silly dig at Padraic Maher shape my opinion of genuine KK fans.

danganabu wrote: »
    What Tipp lads??

Don't let one trolls views represent true Tipp supporters, just like I won't let a previous posters silly dig at Padraic Maher shape my opinion of genuine KK fans.

Just a little joke linking Bergins comments with the comment on Gavin retiring, didnt intend to offend all the Tipp posters on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I forgot sheehan came on but the point I was making was its nearly a different panel every week and it'll probably be the same next weekend,everyone is getting a look which is good

Looks like wexford in Nowlan park next weekend. Will be a good test. Don't think Lennon is going to work full back but worth a try. He is strong but whomever plays there needs to be tight as hell with some divilment. Would how lyng not be worth a shot there as you would presume come league and championship cleere, Buckley and padraig will be in the half back line.

In the last three Walsh cup matches we have had the following:

Colin McGrath
    Robert Lennon
    Stephen Staunton

Tommy Walsh
    Conor Delaney
    Ryan Bergin

Joey Holden
    Robert Lennon
    Paddy Deegan

Good test coming next weekend,should be a big crowd aswell,cody won't want davy beating him 3 times in a row.wexford have being putting out strong teams so far.
    I don't think lennon is going to work myself at 3.I'm suprised we haven't seen tom aylward on any panel yet he must be injured.

Good test coming next weekend,should be a big crowd aswell,cody won't want davy beating him 3 times in a row.wexford have being putting out strong teams so far.
    I don't think lennon is going to work myself at 3.I'm suprised we haven't seen tom aylward on any panel yet he must be injured.

I expected Tom aylward to feature. Simon was playing v kildare. Two goals yesterday came from long deliveries and we need to be more assured than last year as we were calamitous at times under the high ball.

• Advertisement

I expected Tom aylward to feature. Simon was playing v kildare. Two goals yesterday came from long deliveries and we need to be more assured than last year as we were calamitous at times under the high ball.

Are tom and simon related?although the Walsh cup is rightly being used for fringe players and we'll have more matches this year so panels will be tested the leauge is starting saturday week you'd like to see a lads left in settled positions.
    Anyone know how far jason cleere is away?i think he had an operation before christmas.

Are tom and simon related?although the Walsh cup is rightly being used for fringe players and we'll have more matches this year so panels will be tested the leauge is starting saturday week you'd like to see a lads left in settled positions.
    Anyone know how far jason cleere is away?i think he had an operation before christmas.

Tom and Simon are brothers.
    Robert Lennon, padraig Walsh and Conor o shea made up the full back line v wexford last year.
    Paul Murphy, Padraig and Joey were the full back line v limerick and Waterford last year.
    With Murphy not being back till championship the options for 2,3 and 4 are between Lennon, o shea, Deegan, Bergin, delaney, Tommy Walsh, joey and possibly joe lyng if Jason cleere is selected in the half back line.

I would like to see lyng tried there at full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

Tom and Simon are brothers.
    Robert Lennon, padraig Walsh and Conor o shea made up the full back line v wexford last year.
    Paul Murphy, Padraig and Joey were the full back line v limerick and Waterford last year.
    With Murphy not being back till championship the options for 2,3 and 4 are between Lennon, o shea, Deegan, Bergin, delaney, Tommy Walsh, joey and possibly joe lyng if Jason cleere is selected in the half back line.

I would like to see lyng tried there at full back.

I would definitely add Stephen Staunton to that list. Very good man marker, mobile & good hurler.

With ballyragget out next weekend we probably won't see any of their players.if the last few matche's are anything to go by we'll probaly see lots of changes.
    I'd like to see brennan in goals and this would be a good test for delaney full back.it looked like lennon got injured yesterday so he could be out.
    We'll have to start trying to find a midfielder for fogarty or whoever he wants to have midfield.
    This will be a good opportunity for lads to try put uo

With ballyragget out next weekend we probably won't see any of their players.if the last few matche's are anything to go by we'll probaly see lots of changes.
    I'd like to see brennan in goals and this would be a good test for delaney full back.it looked like lennon got injured yesterday so he could be out.
    We'll have to start trying to find a midfielder for fogarty or whoever he wants to have midfield.
    This will be a good test for lads next sunday.

This will be a good test for lads next sunday.

I think Lennon got the curly finger as he was on a yellow.

danganabu wrote: »
    What Tipp lads??

What was silly about it he finished a man hurling.

What about Eoin Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

What about Eoin Kelly.

Ha ha 😂 😂 😂. Well played. Very well played.

• Advertisement

Strong Kilkenny team out V Offaly. Robert Lennon looked in bother going by the highlights. How did Buckley, Fogarty and Walsh go in the half back line?

Good match ahead next week v Wexford

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement