Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Buckley was a bit off in the first half but grew into it.these lads will be a bit rusty.great match to be getting at home next weekend before the league.
    https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/sport/291609/walsh-cup-final-nowlan-park-will-be-opened-for-what-should-be-big-crowd-puller.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Village87

Cork were well beat by Kerry yesterday, i know they were probably trying out few new lads but still encouraging for Kilkenny going into the first league game. It will put pressure on Kilkenny if they lose the opening league match

I suppose cork will look at kk scraping past ofally and think the same but cork had a very experimental team out last sunday.We had more experience in our team but when it's a different 15 every week it's harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/2146

12 senior football teams. Wonder how many games will be played...........

The Walsh cup is now on saturday at 2.I heard Cody saying lads like wally are fit enough to start getting matches but hogan is working on his back problems so the break will do him no harm he played most of last year injured.he also said he'll be mixing the team up again which is no surprise the full back line needs attention I'm sure they won't be happy to concede 3 goals last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

With a couple of weeks to go to the start of the league, we need a settled No. 3 and No. 6 for league. It's crucial. Players to be played in their proper positions i.e. Walsh at No. 5 and Fogarty at mid-field.

Most important thing is we need centre of defence sorted. Spine of the team is crucial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

brookville wrote: »
    The Walsh cup is now on saturday at 2.I heard Cody saying lads like wally are fit enough to start getting matches but hogan is working on his back problems so the break will do him no harm he played most of last year injured.he also said he'll be mixing the team up again which is no surprise the full back line needs attention I'm sure they won't be happy to concede 3 goals last weekend.

T.J. was to be at full forward but never started. Maybe he'll get a run out.

T.J. was to be at full forward but never started. Maybe he'll get a run out.
    Hopefully richie reid can continue his good form he'd be a welcome addition to the forwards,leahy could be better on the wing than mf.I'd like to get another look at conor browne his still raw but I think he might have something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Rebelside

PeterCasey wrote: »
    He said on one of the papers during the week that the qualifiers game in2013 between Tipp V kilkenny was one game he enjoyed refereeing . One thing about him he wouldn't have let Padraig Maher away with what he did in 2012 all Ireland semi final.

so maybe he wouldnt have let Hickey or Brennan awy with what they did in the 2008 All Ireland either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Rebelside wrote: »
    so maybe he wouldnt have let Hickey or Brennan awy with what they did in the 2008 All Ireland either

Notice you didn't mention Tom Kenny from Cork what happened in the semi final .You also didn't mention about the two kilkenny players that were targeted by Waterford at the start of that all Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You opened an account , I presume you are from Cork given the name, and your first post is in a KK GAA forum to whinge about a match in 2008 !?! :eek::rolleyes:
    Wow....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

This Saturday sees the first of 3 matches against Wexford in Nowlan park this year. Kilkenny really need to set down a marker Saturday after getting well beaten by Wexford in the league & Championship last year. 2 very important matches against Wexford later in the year and will be very disappointing if Kilkenny lose 3 in a row against Wexford

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Village87 wrote: »
    This Saturday sees the first of 3 matches against Wexford in Nowlan park this year.

Potentially first of 6 matches between Kilkenny and Wexford this year in total.
    Add league and league final
    leinster and Leinster final
    All-Ireland final
    New system has the "potential" to be hugely exciting and repetitive.
    Kilkenny could lose 5 of them and still be All-Ireland Champions.

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    All-Ireland final

Not the biggest fan of it. But i am looking forward to championship matches in Galway and Dublin.

Gone are the days when about 7-8 years from the mid noughties onward i remember Kilkenny were guaranteed to win Leinster and were in the All Ireland Semi Final every year, the year was based on peaking for those 2 matches the semi and final.

How times have changed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    All-Ireland final

If Kilkenny lose 5 times to Wexford this year, I can absolutely 100% guarantee you they will not be All Ireland Champions.

bruschi wrote: »
    If Kilkenny lose 5 times to Wexford this year, I can absolutely 100% guarantee you they will not be All Ireland Champions.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

Team & subs for Waterford match last July anyone know who is actually retired/gone from this 26?

Michael Fennelly, Kieran Joyce, Shane Prendergast retired anyone else?

1 Eoin Murphy Glenmore
    2 Paul Murphy Danesfort
    3 Padraig Walsh Tullaroan
    4 Joey Holden Ballyhale Shamrocks
    5 Conor Fogarty Erins Own
    6 Cillian Buckley Dicksboro
    7 Joe Lyng Rower Inistioge
    8 Michael Fennelly Ballyhale Shamrocks
    9 Paddy Deegan O'Loughlin Gaels
    10 Chris Bolger Clara
    11 Walter Walsh Tullogher Rosbercon
    12 T J Reid Ballyhale Shamrocks
    13 Richie Hogan Danesfort
    14 Colin Fennelly Ballyhale Shamrocks
    15 Ger Aylward Glenmore

16 Richie Reid Ballyhale Shamrocks
    17 Kieran Joyce Rower Inistioge
    18 Shane Prendergast Clara
    19 Robert Lennon Bennettsbridge
    20 Lester Ryan Clara
    21 Ollie Walsh Dicksboro
    22 Kevin Kelly St Patricks
    23 Jonjo Farrell Thomastown
    24 Mark Bergin O'Loughlin Gaels
    25 Liam Blanchfield Bennettsbridge
    26 Richie Leahy Rower Inistioge

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

robwen wrote: »
    Team & subs for Waterford match last July anyone know who is actually retired/gone from this 26?

1 Eoin Murphy Glenmore
    2 Paul Murphy Danesfort
    10 Chris Bolger Clara
    15 Ger Aylward Glenmore

20 Lester Ryan Clara
    21 Ollie Walsh Dicksboro

Farrell (opted out), Bergin (released) and also heard that Ryan was no longer part of the set up but stand to be corrected on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Lester?

That's a pity. A warrior who gave us everything and who I personally think should've been a more consistent starter. The decision not to start him in 2016 is still one that confuses the **** out of me.

He was involved late last year anyway unless he dropped himself off since then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

May be things are busy on the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

robwen wrote: »

1 Eoin Murphy Glenmore
    2 Paul Murphy Danesfort
    10 Chris Bolger Clara
    15 Ger Aylward Glenmore

20 Lester Ryan Clara
    21 Ollie Walsh Dicksboro
    I don't think ger and Chris actually started Kevin and John Joe did

kk1970 wrote: »

Paul Murphy and Colin Fennnelly over seas until mid May, prob forget about them until July. Id play Colin at some stage.We badly need a replacement for Paul Murphy, has been very poor last last couple of years.

What is the story with Ger Aylward , if still on the panel really needs to hit the ground running in the league.

Robert Lennon place on the panel must be in jeopardy after the weekend,

I heard that he opted out due to his teaching and farming commitments but as I said I stand to be corrected as it was 3rd hand information from someone involved with Clara. On a related note why is a Kilkenny panel never published ( like it seems to be in a lot of other counties)? It's easier to get information out of North Korea!

I heard that he opted out due to his teaching and farming commitments but as I said I stand to be corrected as it was 3rd hand information from someone involved with Clara. On a related note why is a Kilkenny panel never published ( like it seems to be in a lot of other counties)? It's easier to get information out of North Korea!

He could of had but I was talking to a player around Christmas and he said he was still there.You'd imagine it would of got an article in the local paper if he did like shane pender.
    I agree about the panel never published but I suppose this year there's over 50 lads in we'll know next week for the cork match what kind of squad he has in mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Village87 in Paul Murphy dig shocker :D At least you are consistent man!

danganabu wrote: »
    Village87 in Paul Murphy dig shocker :D At least you are consistent man!

I know, still irate over his performance last year v Waterford, he makes the sweeper system work for other teams with his clearances. had a sweeper on his own team and Shane Bennett still took him to the cleaners. I hope he brought a hurl to Syria with him

I know, still irate over his performance last year v Waterford, he makes the sweeper system work for other teams with his clearances. had a sweeper on his own team and Shane Bennett still took him to the cleaners. I hope he brought a hurl to Syria with him

KK corner back with a hurl, that might be considered as a weapon of mass destruction :D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

It won't do him any good in Syria, he's in The Lebanon :D Paul Murphy definitely hasn't had his best 2 years by his standards, which in fairness are well above average anyway. You'd be confident in himself and Colin coming back as fit as fiddles and raring to go, but it's the lack of matches that'll be telling.
    Here's hoping we're not praying for their return come the early stages of Championship. But you'd be confident that if we are in the latter stages of the Championship that both Colin and Paul will be vital cogs in the team

• Advertisement

Paul Murphy definitely hasn't had his best 2 years by his standards, which in fairness are well above average anyway.

I think that's the crux of it really, a victim of his own success if you like, was the best corner back in the country between 2011 and 2016. Droped off those levels recently but would be amazed if KK have 6 better backs than Murphy.

danganabu wrote: »
    I think that's the crux of it really, a victim of his own success if you like, was the best corner back in the country between 2011 and 2016. Droped off those levels recently but would be amazed if KK have 6 better backs than Murphy.

Maybe, but Kilkenny had great hurlers around him during those years, retirements are an incalculable loss. Never stepped up to the leadership that JJ Brian Hogan & Tommy Walsh provided in their late 20s. Anyway hopefully he can have a better year this year.

He could of had but I was talking to a player around Christmas and he said he was still there.You'd imagine it would of got an article in the local paper if he did like shane pender.
    I agree about the panel never published but I suppose this year there's over 50 lads in we'll know next week for the cork match what kind of squad he has in mind

Well I would trust your source ahead of mine as I said it was 3rd hand information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

Former Kilkenny minor hurling team manager, Richie Mulrooney has returned to the post.
    The Dicksboro clubman was appointed to take over from Pat O’Grady (Blacks and Whites), who served last season.
    The Clara national school principal enjoyed a very successful run when he last managed the minors between 2008 and 2010.
    The Cats made three appearances in the All-Ireland final, and won the title in 2008 and 2010.
    Before that Mr Mulrooney coached the Clara minors and served as a Kilkenny under-21 selector in 2004 and 2005.
    He was manager of the Dicksboro senior team for three seasons up to 2016. The appointment was ratified at Monday’s meeting of the County Board.
    Mr Mulrooney will be joined on the Selection Committee by Sean Kelly (St Martin’s), Adrian Finan (James Stephens) and Martin Carey (Young Irelands).

Meanwhile, the County Board has confirmed that there will be only two teams involved in the All-Ireland intermediate championship this season.
    Kilkenny and Cork are the only counties who entered teams.
    The pair contested the final last season on the weekend of the official opening of Pairc Ui Chaoimh when the Noresiders won.
    Kilkenny are to ask Cork to play the final in Nowlan Park this time.

The Kilkenny junior football management team to look after affairs in the British championship has been confirmed.
    Christy Walsh (Bennettsbridge) will continue as manager. He will be joined by J.J. Grace (trainer), John Dowd (Railyard) and Noel Prendergast (James Stephens).

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/sport/291979/kilkenny-hurling-richie-mulrooney-back-as-minor-team-manager.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

How do KK people feel about Richie Mul getting the minor job again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Happy to be manager when there is a decent side, gone for the hills when an average side is there. Simple as.

• Advertisement

dobbs2210 wrote: »

Happy to be manager when there is a decent side, gone for the hills when an average side is there. Simple as.

He worked with this crop and had success with them last year.best of luck to all involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

He told me to shut up once when we were on a bus on a school tour when I was 11. Not management material IMO.

kk1970 wrote: »

Paul Murphy and Colin Fennnelly over seas until mid May, prob forget about them until July. Id play Colin at some stage.We badly need a replacement for Paul Murphy, has been very poor last last couple of years.

What is the story with Ger Aylward , if still on the panel really needs to hit the ground running in the league.

Robert Lennon place on the panel must be in jeopardy after the weekend,

I don't think lennon is the answer to be honest.He might be ok this time of the year but lacks pace I'd much prefer to see delaney or tom aylward tried although both aren't the quickest either.
    I see aylward has a hand injury that's why we haven't seen him yet.
    According to the paper we should see a few more regulars this weekend especially with the cork match next weekend lads will be rusty it'll be interesting to see what the full back line will be because I'm sure they'll be disappointed to concede 3 goals last week.
    The forwards have being scoring in fairness but miss a bit of experience wally and tj should add to it.

PeterCasey wrote: »
    Notice you didn't mention Tom Kenny from Cork what happened in the semi final .You also didn't mention about the two kilkenny players that were targeted by Waterford at the start of that all Ireland.

no and I notice you didnt mention the tackles on McCarthy & Fraggy or Lyng hitting the Dub over the head. We could go on all day & thats the point. All counties are guilty so picking out one incident as an example is just self serving.

greenspurs wrote: »
    You opened an account , I presume you are from Cork given the name, and your first post is in a KK GAA forum to whinge about a match in 2008 !?! :eek::rolleyes:
    Wow....

A post about a match in 2012 isnt a 'whinge' but mine is? as you say, Wow....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Trying to plan my trip down to Cork for the match next week. Just wondering if anyone has been in Pairc Ui Chaoimh since the upgrade, do you know what kind of food and drink stalls are there? And what drinks, like beer etc do they sell?

no and I notice you didnt mention the tackles on McCarthy & Fraggy or Lyng hitting the Dub over the head. We could go on all day & thats the point. All counties are guilty so picking out one incident as an example is just self serving.

Dude if you only came on here to troll and have nothing constructive to say, I suggest you toddle off back to the peoples republic forum where you can bitch away about what Brennan, Hickey and Lyng supposedly did 10 years ago and i am sure you'll have plenty queuing to agree with you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

dobbs2210 wrote: »

I thought Dicksboro were in relegation playoffs for a number of years before he took over. From the outside it looked like he steadied the ship and laid the foundations for this years success.

I see john power was playing for ucc tonight.I take it he hasn't rejoined the county which is a shame.he probably done his best hurling when richie was beside him.the 14 final replay springs to mind.i still think he might have something to offer.
    Good to see conor browne coming on for ucc he has a bit of fire in his belly he looks like a good prospect I'd like to see him get some gametime
    With the fitzgibbon starting will college lads be available the next few weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 BORO BILL

I doubt if conor delaney or john donnelly will be on the panel this weekend as DCU are playing on monday.It will be interesting to see the full back line on saturday.It is the line that gives me the biggest concerns for the year ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

A post about a match in 2012 isnt a 'whinge' but mine is? as you say, Wow....

I didn't whinge about any incident.
    My main point was, You opened an account and your first (3) posts have been in the GAA forum ?
    Bitter Cork man ? Or another account for someone under cover? :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

BORO BILL wrote: »
    I doubt if conor delaney or john donnelly will be on the panel this weekend as DCU are playing on monday.It will be interesting to see the full back line on saturday.It is the line that gives me the biggest concerns for the year ahead.

Do Kilkenny have many involved in the Fitzgibbon ?
    If there is near 60 lads on the panel there must be at least 15-20 involved in fitzgibbon as the ages 22-23 to 19 mostly play.

Last year Cork and Waterford, limerick and Tipperary players seemed to do really well in the Fitzgibbon cup.

When Kilkenny were the best team in the country many of the best players dominated in this competition when they were younger. We really need to start seeing this again, hopefully some of they players involved really step up

BORO BILL wrote: »

The reason the game was switched from Sunday to Saturday was because of the Fitzgibbon so I very much doubt BC will be leaving off Delaney and Donnelly because of their college commitments on Monday and ditto Richie Leahy and Jason Cleere who will be involved with Carlow IT on Sunday. Though Cleere hasn't appeared in any of the 3 matches so far,does anyone know if he's injured?

The reason the game was switched from Sunday to Saturday was because of the Fitzgibbon so I very much doubt BC will be leaving off Delaney and Donnelly because of their college commitments on Monday and ditto Richie Leahy and Jason Cleere who will be involved with Carlow IT on Sunday. Though Cleere hasn't appeared in any of the 3 matches so far,does anyone know if he's injured?

The lads should be left alone to play Fitzgibbon for the college, there is 60 lads on the panel, surely they can field a strong team without them. Issues like this cause burn out and injury

Do Kilkenny have many involved in the Fitzgibbon ?
    If there is near 60 lads on the panel there must be at least 15-20 involved in fitzgibbon as the ages 22-23 to 19 mostly play.

Last year Cork and Waterford, limerick and Tipperary players seemed to do really well in the Fitzgibbon cup.

When Kilkenny were the best team in the country many of the best players dominated in this competition when they were younger. We really need to start seeing this again, hopefully some of they players involved really step up

Off the top of my head Delaney,Donnelly and Mullen (though he's off the panel atm for disciplinary reasons) with DCU, Leahy and Cleere with Carlow IT , Lawlor and Scanlon with UCD, Browne and McGrath with UCC, Deegan with Maynooth, S Morrissey and B Ryan with St Pats, Blanchfield and J Walsh DIT, Cody with UL.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement