Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

Looked like the ref made a Faceguard pulling motion after the red card... was that what it was for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

He'll obviously be gone next weekend so?
    The Walsh cup has being good to expose lads wexford finished with a strong team
    I was happy considering the inexperienced team. Alan Murphy could of had another goal he should of kicked the one in the first half.I thought oillie Walsh done some good things.Silly from Reid to do that he was going OK.
    Tj,leahy,donnelly,hogan,colin,murphy will all help when they come back i wouldn't be too downbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The sensation

How did they respond to the sweeper?

Some intelligent play but under pressure reverted to high aimless ball again at times. Stood off ball carrier at times too as if we were too concerned about runners. Pat Lyng won aerial ball too which is a positive. Joey seems to have some confidence back

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Seeing as how blatant trolling is now apparently fine on this thread (as evidenced by rebelside being allowed free rein the last week), I presume they've also suspended the rules about accusing people of trolling as well. With that in mind, fcuk off Doltanian you sad troll.

Dude attention seekers like him are best ignored he has absolutely nothing constructive or interesting to say! And it also drives them nuts which is a bonus!!😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Belter of a game.

Personally, I've never been as negative about a Kilkenny team - the standard of hurler just isn't there. Our best attacker is Padraig Walsh and he's still anchored at full back. We can't deal with any high ball into the square. We can't hold our shape and end up with just waves of lads running between both 45s and usually end up pumping the ball into space to a spare defender or getting pulled to one side of the field and leaving acres on the other side where we get totally exposed. The only way to beat a sweeper is down the wings and hold the width and we only did that a handful of times.

That attempt by John Walsh at a 65. Mother of God.

Great entertainment though and if all Kilkenny games are like that this year I'll be happy enough as long as we win an odd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Still watchable on YouTube from what I can see. I might have another look at it myself later.

We started well but faded before half time and could of being more ahead at half time.
    We were sluggish after half time and didn't score for near 15 mins.
    We lost all shape after the sending off but I thought we showed good spirit despite finding it hard to win a free or any breaks.
    Wex should of won it in normal time a terrible wide on the stroke of full time.
    Walsh def

We started well but faded before half time and could of being more ahead at half time.
    We were sluggish after half time and didn't score for near 15 mins.
    We lost all shape after the sending off but I thought we showed good spirit despite finding it hard to win a free or any breaks.
    Wex should of won it in normal time a terrible wide on the stroke of full time.
    Walsh definitely wasted at 3 he'll have to come back out to 5.
    Deegan finished up at 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

brookville wrote: »
    What was Reid sent off for?despite losing on frees and considering the team out you'd have to pleased with some of the lads.Joey was excellent apart from the goal.mossy tried hard wally got better as it went on.
    We slipped after the sending off but showed good character to keep it going.

He was given a straight red for pulling Hanlons helmet off.

Hanlon gave him a dig, Reid gave one back, they started wrestling, Hanlons helmet came off, Hanlon started shouting at the linesman, linesman called the ref, ref sends off Reid, Hanlon gets nothing.

Summed up the ref all day.

Kilkenny were very good in parts, when they hurled with smarts they were clearly the better side.

However, they were poor with the short ball, and the longer the game went on, the more we reverted to type with lumped balls, the more we handed Wexford the initiative.

We have some serious work to do if we want to even make a Leinster final this year, but there was signs that if we do get it right we could be a handful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Need a full back and push Walsh to No. 5. I'd go with Joey at full back next well. He's played there before and has experience in their. Eoin Murphy knows him well also in playing terms.

Need to have a settled full back for league. Game V Cork next week. Had a few games in Walsh Cup to try different lads but I'd go with Joey at full back next week.

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

Stupid from richie regardless simply can't do that although there was a lot of pulling and dragging going on.will he miss next weekend?wonder how will they deal with cody.

Need a full back and push Walsh to No. 5. I'd go with Joey at full back next well. He's played there before and has experience in their. Eoin Murphy knows him well also in playing terms.

Need to have a settled full back for league. Game V Cork next week. Had a few games in Walsh Cup to try different lads but I'd go with Joey at full back next week.

Any thoughts?

I thought full back line done OK.
    Deegan and joey were OK but Walsh needs to go to five.tom alyward or delaney are our best bet.
    No lennon or joe lyng on the panel it was mostly fringe players with mossy and murphy the standout.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Agree with joey going to full back.bad day in 16 final but many good days.walsh has to play in his best position.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Agree with joey going to full back.bad day in 16 final but many good days.walsh has to play in his best position.
    Joey was good today but caught for the goal definitely looked to have a bit of confidence back

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I have my doubts that we will have a settled full backline in the league, id guess at a full back line of O Shea, Lennon and Deegan, halfback Lyng, Buckley and Walsh, midfield of fogarty and Ollie Walsh, half forwards Walter Walsh, TJ Reid, Richie Leahy and full forward line of Blanchfield, Murphy and Conor Martin for any have to win match.

Just have to hope that Murphy, Fennelly and Hogan come back into the team at some stage and a few more of the younger lads step up.

Any thoughts?

Agree Padraig is better at 5 just doesn't look comfortable at full. Don't know if Joey is the solution, played well today, but it wasn't just the '16 final on Callanan that he struggled. Got roasted by Harney in the league match down in Cork and by Conlon in the league semi in the same year and one thing they all have in common is they are big physical guys who can hurl. It's a shame Delaney is unlikely to be risked as I would like to get a look at him at this level. But with himself, Leahy, Donnelly and Blanchfield all having two Fitzgibbon cup matches this week asking any of them to play any part next Saturday would be a recipe for disaster.

Topcat32 wrote: »
    I have my doubts that we will have a settled full backline in the league, id guess at a full back line of O Shea, Lennon and Deegan, halfback Lyng, Buckley and Walsh, midfield of fogarty and Ollie Walsh, half forwards Walter Walsh, TJ Reid, Richie Leahy and full forward line of Blanchfield, Murphy and Conor Martin for any have to win match.

Just have to hope that Murphy, Fennelly and Hogan come back into the team at some stage and a few more of the younger lads step up.

There's no way I'd have lennon full back.Joe Lyng was worth a go at 3.I'd say we won't see the college lads yet.Deegan and joey done well today both will start next week.You'd hope walsh will go out to wing back with Buckley and o shea,oillie and fogarty mf.I liked the look of mossy today his an honest hard worker
    Is reid suspended for next week

On a more positive note congratulations to Ballyragget for reaching the all ireland today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

On a more positive note congratulations to Ballyragget for reaching the all ireland today.

And no Kevin Kelly either - knee injury by all accounts.

• Advertisement

Is Richie Reid gone for next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Doltanian wrote: »
    The video shows otherwise, and Cody sent to the stands, the most cynical team to play the game expose themselves early this year.

Chinn trying to throw a hurl into the stand kids sitting there he calls himself a sportman.

Comerman wrote: »
    Strange decision seeing as KK conceded the 3 goals last week

I'd say Davy doesn't want to change his setup as, no disrespect to Wexford intended, they are likely to be fighting against the drop, along with ourselves, in the league. I can't see them getting anything off Tipperary and Cork and would see Clare and Waterford as reasonably strong favourites against them too (same analysis for us against those teams) and the sweeper system is the most adept for limited teams. Couple that with knowing that later on in the year, to get into a Leinster final, it's likely to be a toss up between ourselves and them as to who faces Galway and that Cody struggles against the sweeper system and I think it makes sense that they stuck with their usual format.

FCIM wrote: »
    I'd say Davy doesn't want to change his setup as, no disrespect to Wexford intended, they are likely to be fighting against the drop, along with ourselves, in the league. I can't see them getting anything off Tipperary and Cork and would see Clare and Waterford as reasonably strong favourites against them too (same analysis for us against those teams) and the sweeper system is the most adept for limited teams. Couple that with knowing that later on in the year, to get into a Leinster final, it's likely to be a toss up between ourselves and them as to who faces Galway and that Cody struggles against the sweeper system and I think it makes sense that they stuck with their usual format.

I think that's a good analyis, Davy truly believes in that system, if he was managing an under 12 team he would play the same way, its what both makes him successfull and at times limits him. He wasn't able to take a very talented Clare squad to the limit of its potential because of that.

I think that's a good analyis, Davy truly believes in that system, if he was managing an under 12 team he would play the same way, its what both makes him successfull and at times limits him. He wasn't able to take a very talented Clare squad to the limit of its potential because of that.

I'd agree with that. Whilst with Wexford it works because it maximises the return from a limited team, it stifled a Clare team oozing with talent and probably cost them a significant haul of silverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Davy is the sam allardyce of hurling.keep you up and make you hard to beat.but after a while you cant watch it anymore.

• Advertisement

Motivator wrote: »
    What about Cody’s carry on? An absolute embarrassment of a man. The ****in state of him he should have retired years ago.

Thought Wexford were the better team without being overly good themselves. I wouldn’t be writing KK off yet but I think a poor league could set the tone for the season.

Comeback to us when you can at least spell '****ing.

Cody has won 4 all ireland this decade, why would he retire?

I actually thought it was a good sign to hear Cody get so riled up yesterday, everything seemed so flat last year apart from about 15 minutes in the Waterford game, I think when he has that edge to him he is a better manager.

Id expect a tough league ahead and I think its likely that we will be in the relegation playoff but the key thing is to build a new panel and if we are competitive in each match id be pretty happy.

PeterCasey wrote: »
    Chinn trying to throw a hurl into the stand kids sitting there he calls himself a sportman.

What about Cody’s carry on? An absolute embarrassment of a man. The ****in state of him he should have retired years ago.

Thought Wexford were the better team without being overly good themselves. I wouldn’t be writing KK off yet but I think a poor league could set the tone for the season.

I thought kk started very well but wex got the few scores before ht to pull it back and kk I thought should of being further ahead after doing most of he hurling.
    Wex started the 2nd half with intent and the sending off obviously didn't help kk.wex were winning all the breaks.
    Obviously wexford could afford to bring in all the heavy hitters,chin,mac,hanlon where kk simply hadn't that experience on the bench.
    Both teams have to commended for giving such entertainment in very tough conditions

Best of luck to dj and his troops today up against mary i at home at 2.They'll have it all to do.would I be right in saying leahy is the only lad we have in cw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Id expect a tough league ahead and I think its likely that we will be in the relegation playoff

I don't think this is an obvious outcome at all. Kilkenny's first game is away to Cork who had a patchy enough Munster League campaign so might not hit the ground running. Kilkenny, by contrast, have two tough dogged matches behind them recently which will help.

Then they are at home to Clare which is winnable. They might well have four points after two games. They also have Wexford at home and based on yesterday would have a huge chance of winning that. They also do not have to play Galway as they are in the lower division.

Kilkenny, at this point, are as likely to be the play-offs as in relegation contention.

Powerhouse wrote: »

Id expect a tough league ahead and I think its likely that we will be in the relegation playoff

I don't think this is an obvious outcome at all. Kilkenny's first game is away to Cork who had a patchy enough Munster League campaign so might not hit the ground running. Kilkenny, by contrast, have two tough dogged matches behind them recently which will help.

Then they are at home to Clare which is winnable. They might well have four points after two games. They also have Wexford at home and based on yesterday would have a huge chance of winning that. They also do not have to play Galway as they are in the lower division.

Kilkenny, at this point, are as likely to be the play-offs as in relegation contention.

I agree with this a lot of fringe players have being giving game time and some have done well.alan murphy,mossy,deegan I thought oillie Walsh done some good things yesterday.
    That game will bring on wally fogarty,buckley and walsh will also come on from it.
    Don't forget we've the college lads to come back over here next few weeks plus tj,hogan,ger aylward,Kevin kelly and murphy and colin in a few months.
    I was surprised not to see mansfield or Simon alyward on yesterday's panel.Joe Lyng must be injured.
    As I said its not all doom and gloom and deciding it on frees yesterday was always going to be a lottery for both teams.

• Advertisement

I agree with this a lot of fringe players have being giving game time and some have done well.alan murphy,mossy,deegan I thought oillie Walsh done some good things yesterday.
    That game will bring on wally fogarty,buckley and walsh will also come on from it.
    Don't forget we've the college lads to come back over here next few weeks plus tj,hogan,ger aylward,Kevin kelly and murphy and colin in a few months.
    I was surprised not to see mansfield or Simon alyward on yesterday's panel.Joe Lyng must be injured.
    As I said its not all doom and gloom and deciding it on frees yesterday was always going to be a lottery for both teams.

I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong. I don't see things as being all doom and gloom at all but I think its fair to say that we have the least settled team of all the division 1 teams.

I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong. I don't see things as being all doom and gloom at all but I think its fair to say that we have the least settled team of all the division 1 teams.

His trying to blood lads and that's what we want and need...wally was the only first teamer in the forwards yesterday...the half forward line had two 21s and last years sub goalie. And them 2 lads couldn't even make the u21 team for the final.
    The only thing that has lads frustrated is walsh listed at 3 when his best position is five.
    In codys defence two lads touted for the number 3 are playing college or injured.at least he didn't play them lads yesterday and expect them to play 2-3 matches in a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Rebelside

PeterCasey wrote: »

Wont somebody please think of the children? To be fair to Chin he didnt make anything of being taken out of it in the first period of et.
    Kilkenny giving posession away time & time again was a major reason for wexfords victory.

Rebelside wrote: »
    Wont somebody please think of the children? To be fair to Chin he didnt make anything of being taken out of it in the first period of et.
    Kilkenny giving posession away time & time again was a major reason for wexfords victory.

4 posts and all in the Kilkenny thread and you watched the Walsh Cup final as well, didn't know Kilkenny had such dedicated followers in Cork.

What sort of team did Cork have out against Kerry?

4 posts and all in the Kilkenny thread and you watched the Walsh Cup final as well, didn't know Kilkenny had such dedicated followers in Cork.

What sort of team did Cork have out against Kerry?

Kerry were well deserving of their victory. Id be no great fan of them but they do fully support their second GAA sport there & I have to say its good to see the hurlers get some credit

Kerry were well deserving of their victory. Id be no great fan of them but they do fully support their second GAA sport there & I have to say its good to see the hurlers get some credit

Didn't answer my question I see, anyway I looked it up and it seems that Luke Meade was the only well known player involved, just in case you didn't know.

Didn't answer my question I see, anyway I looked it up and it seems that Luke Meade was the only well known player involved, just in case you didn't know.
    I heard the cork team were in carlton house last weekend.
    I was reading where cody said tj tweaked his hamstring midweek so unlikely to be fit next weekend.
    Does anyone know if richie Reid is suspended for next weekend or is that a different competion?
    What six fowards will we see?pat lyng tried hard yesterday but was in and out of the game.
    Mossy ran himself into the ground.It was Alan murphys best game.martin got a great score but faded.
    Will leahy and donnelly be available?
    Bolger was giving a hard task marking 2 defenders but he couldn't seem to stay on his feet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Wheras in Kilkenny they make no effort to promote football at all. Effectively all of North Kerry north of Tralee town in a football desert and Hurling is the predominant sport, likewise in the south down in Kenmare and Kilgarvan they are two huge hurling clubs also.

Teh world its mother & 4 uncles know that Cork had a scrap team out, whats your point? I hear therell be a better one for next Sat

Back to yesterday, insignificant match but still a psychological boost for the Slaney men. Teams like that need all those boosts & with McDonald firing this year they could improve

Doltanian wrote: »
    Wheras in Kilkenny they make no effort to promote football at all. Effectively all of North Kerry north of Tralee town in a football desert and Hurling is the predominant sport, likewise in the south down in Kenmare and Kilgarvan they are two huge hurling clubs also.

Gee thanks for the geography lesson Donald, let's hope we get that Irexit passed so that all those Europeans dont come to North Kerry and everybody starts playing ice hockey or something. Seriously do you have not more to be doing than posting spite on GAA threads of a county that you have zero connection with.

• Advertisement

Teh world its mother & 4 uncles know that Cork had a scrap team out, whats your point? I hear therell be a better one for next Sat

Back to yesterday, insignificant match but still a psychological boost for the Slaney men. Teams like that need all those boosts & with McDonald firing this year they could improve

I asked a question, wasnt making a point, hence the question mark at the end of the sentence.

I doubt kk will lose much sleep over yesterday.
    Wexford finished with nearly their strongest team an had an extra player for 30 mins of normal time.it was great experience for the younger lads.I think kk will be happy enough with the performance with possibly 7 first teamers to come back in the summer.

I asked a question, wasnt making a point, hence the question mark at the end of the sentence.

if an irrelevant question is asked there has to be a point to it. Unless youre one of those fellas who go around muttering to themselves of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

You're all so angry. There's no good nature or piss taking to any of the slagging. Its just full of bitterness and spite. On both sides. Take a deep breath lads its just the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ceannmara

It should be a keenly contested game. Both managers and sides need a win and a loss on day one puts a team under serious pressure in such a short league. I wouldn't be very confident of results on the road, so we really need to target our home games in Cork. If the weather is not grim it could be fun to attend a game under lights in the new stadium. Will many travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The sensation

ceannmara wrote: »
    It should be a keenly contested game. Both managers and sides need a win and a loss on day one puts a team under serious pressure in such a short league. I wouldn't be very confident of results on the road, so we really need to target our home games in Cork. If the weather is not grim it could be fun to attend a game under lights in the new stadium. Will many travel?

Good crowd for Walsh cup and good interest here in how things are shaping up, factor in season ticket ,early season optimism and wanting a look at the new stadium I would imagine a decent crowd should travel. I agree re home games being vital too. Also it should be intereting at the end of the year to see how seriously counties take the league now that the round robin is in place and blooding larger panels might be more important than league success.

Good to see carlow winning today and leahy getting 1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

What about Mcgrath , Shanahan the way they carry thereselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

I said it before on this thread and got threatened with a ban but I am going to say it again anyway. A lot of Kilkenny followers especially those outside KK and abroad use this thread to find out what's going on the local club and county scene. We had heard all the trolling before on an fear rua and the stripey men and we all know where they ended up. So if you have nothing constructive to say please f*** off (Doltonian and rebelside) and ruin someone else's forum.

• Advertisement

I said it before on this thread and got threatened with a ban but I am going to say it again anyway. A lot of Kilkenny followers especially those outside KK and abroad use this thread to find out what's going on the local club and county scene. We had heard all the trolling before on an fear rua and the stripey men and we all know where they ended up. So if you have nothing constructive to say please f*** off (Doltonian and rebelside) and ruin someone else's forum.

Couldn't put it better myself. Gave up on fear rua before it shut down because just got fed up with they "he did this 5 years ago" bs! I am all for hearing the opinions of genuine hurler supporters from other counties but idiots who crawl out from under a stone to troll when Kilkenny lose a match can crawl back under that stone!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement