Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

brookville wrote: »
    I heard the cork team were in carlton house last weekend.
    I was reading where cody said tj tweaked his hamstring midweek so unlikely to be fit next weekend.
    Does anyone know if richie Reid is suspended for next weekend or is that a different competion?
    What six fowards will we see?pat lyng tried hard yesterday but was in and out of the game.
    Mossy ran himself into the ground.It was Alan murphys best game.martin got a great score but faded.
    Will leahy and donnelly be available?
    Bolger was giving a hard task marking 2 defenders but he couldn't seem to stay on his feet

As far as I am aware Richie Reid is suspended they did away with that rule where competitions were separate for instance Pat Horgan is suspended for next Saturday night from last year's All Ireland semi, why he didn't appeal that decision is beyond me because from the TV footage he didn't appear to do very much.

Leahy and Blanchfield both played Fitzgibbon today and have another match on Thursday. Donnelly and Delaney have Fitzgibbon tomorrow and Thursday so I very much doubt they will be asked to play much part next Saturday. So with TJ and Richie Hogan both injured we will pretty much be operating with what we had on Saturday obviously minus Richie Reid.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

As far as I am aware Richie Reid is suspended they did away with that rule where competitions were separate for instance Pat Horgan is suspended for next Saturday night from last year's All Ireland semi, why he didn't appeal that decision is beyond me because from the TV footage he didn't appear to do very much.

Leahy and Blanchfield both played Fitzgibbon today and have another match on Thursday. Donnelly and Delaney have Fitzgibbon tomorrow and Thursday so I very much doubt they will be asked to play much part next Saturday. So with TJ and Richie Hogan both injured we will pretty much be operating with what we had on Saturday obviously minus Richie Reid.

Anybody know if John Power is on the panel? Played today for UCC in the Fitzgibbon Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Anybody know if John Power is on the panel? Played today for UCC in the Fitzgibbon Cup.

I asked that question the day they played Kildare the answer was you must be joking when he walked off the panel Cody will not ask you back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Motivator, just to make it abundantly clear, after your ban do not post in this thread again.

Can I please request that people continue to report posts they feel cross the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

PeterCasey wrote: »
    Topcat32 wrote: »

I asked that question the day they played Kildare the answer was you must be joking when he walked off the panel Cody will not ask you back.

I don't think his involved although he was in the stand yesterday as a spectator...
    We're going to be down a lot so next weekend especially up front.
    Cody seemed livid with the Reid incident on the papers today I didn't see the incident but could they appeal it?
    Impossible to guess a team for next weekend.

• Advertisement

I don't think his involved although he was in the stand yesterday as a spectator...
    We're going to be down a lot so next weekend especially up front.
    Cody seemed livid with the Reid incident on the papers today I didn't see the incident but could they appeal it?
    Impossible to guess a team for next weekend.

He was livid all right the linesman called the ref over first because they were over the line still Bulfin could run in and out on the field all day nothing said.As regards the incident it was Hanlon struck first Reid pulled back then Hanlon went crying to the lines man like what happened below when they were playing Waterford last summer got the player sent off. Will C Fogarty be okay his place is centre field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Rebelside

Pat Horgan is suspended for next Saturday night from last year's All Ireland semi, why he didn't appeal that decision is beyond me because from the TV footage he didn't appear to do very much.

He did, said he wasted half a day off work appealing.

Rebelside wrote: »
    He did, said he wasted half a day off work appealing.

Will we make a collection for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Rebelside

That would be a nice touch. You could give it to him after the match on Sat nite.

If you’re still there..

Rebelside wrote: »
    That would be a nice touch. You could give it to him after the match on Sat nite.

If you’re still there..

Keep in touch with yourself.

• Advertisement

Will cork be also down some of their college players this weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Village87

Good game Saturday i enjoyed it. Kilkenny were in a great position to win until the sending off and looked under pressure but fought back again to lead by 5 points. Wexford brought on the big guns with 10 minutes to go and dominated there after, missing any amount of chances during normal and extra time to win the match.

Eoin Murphy - was sloppy enough in the goal, excellent with puck outs and frees
    Joey Holden - Solid but Kk had extra man, different ball game with fasyt ground 15-15, looks awkward
    Padraig Walsh - Excellent, loads of hurling in him, maybe stifled at No.3, Kilkenny best player at present
    Paddy Deegan - Looks awkward, kk had extra man back, doubt he will hold his place - seems one sided
    Enda Morrisdey - Did ok winning some hard ball
    Conor O Shea - Looks devoid of any pace, very slow on the turn, there for the taking - Under big pressure on Lee Chin
    Cillian Buckley - Poor afternoon, beat in the air and hooked and miss hit a lot of ball - hurling needs to improve, id play him midfield
    Ollie Walsh - Did ok, bit of pace and creativity, something to work with
    Conor Fogarty - Didnt offer much one paced and always caught in position, needs to add some exuberance to his game
    Pat Lyng - Worked hard and full of energy - lacks bit hurling still
    Richie Reid - Doing ok until harsh sending off - Hard to know how he will go centre forward. But i do like his skill level willingness to try something different
    Mossy Keoghan - Tried hard, looks like he could be a top player in years to come nearly got away 2-3 times but for great defending by Wexford, could be a starter come championship
    Conor Martin - Very much outclassed
    Wally Walsh - Slow start, got into and set up 2-3 great scores winning hard ball and throwing it off, should be used more often as route one.
    Alan Murphy - Good game, gets on the end of chances well, still looks like he lacks pace and seems to prefer using his right hand side

Chris Bolger - Considering he was playing against 3 defenders and doing ok i thought it was very hard to take him off again. Especially bringing Conor Martin back on

Brian Cody - Looked awful refusing to leave the pitch, sets a bad precedent.

Big game against Cork next week. Badly need TJ back.

I don't think tj will be back.murphy was the pick of the fowards.I thought bolger was unlucky as he was out numbered.
    Lyng and mossy tried hard but there hurling needs to sharpen.
    Huge game Saturday night that match saturday should bring lads on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

The Fogarty bashing again... I thought he played really well. Won an amount of dirty ball and covered serious ground. As long as he doesn't shoot he's fine. What exactly do you want from him? He's not now, nor will he ever be Mick Fennelly or that type of hurler. He's a work horse there to provide an extra body in the half back line and to break up the play/win the ball in midfield.

As for Bucks midfield. Just no. Another lad who can't really shoot and gets lost the further he goes forward. He's an excellent half back - leave him there.

Why do people keep trying to move our players from their best position? It's infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

Agree on both points with JJ. Conor Fogarty is a key cog for us but he needs to be midfield. Wins an awful lot of ball particularly in rucks and around the half back line. Provides great bite in the tackle and covers savage ground.

Also Cillian Buckley is way better in half back line, has been twice the player since moving there. His positioning is awful at midfield. He does offer good forward runs from there at midfield like in that Tipp league game last year. But think people are saying he should play there based on that one match. Maybe Cody will give him time there and we will learn more.

Bit nervy when Eoin Murphy comes off his line into a group of players, he needs to stay on his line and trust the backs, he has been caught against Clare by doing this before and did it twice on Sunday. He is some operator though, wouldn't swap him for any keeper.

Ideally we can nail down a 3, 6, 9 and that would allow Padraig at 5 and Buckley at 7 and Fogarty at 8 and we go from there. Unfortunately these three will have to plug gaps if e don't find them and they may not be there but hopefully we learn this in the league.

However I feel very positive that Cody has gotten in to the younger lads heads after Sunday and got the point accross that its all to play for now and you fight hard for a place on the panel. Wexford had a stronger team out and the younger lads gave it everything and got stuck into more established inter county players showing them no respect. Like Mossy Keoghan, Alan Murphy starting and they didn't start 3 months ago for the 21s. Sheehan not on panel and he is in mix. That sends a message to the likes of other guys who were ahead of them on the 21s that its time to go and tells the likes of Ger Alyward that they need to be ready. Maybe these guys might not make it but the seed that places are up for grabs has been sown which is why I am happy with how things are going.

Conor O Shea, Pat Lyng and Mossy Keoghans hurling will keep improving and Cody knows he won't have 15 Tjs. He will attempt to balance a bit of everything. He won't write off lads because there hurling isn't crisp enough yet. He will let them develop like he did with Taggy, Ryall, Brian Hogan and the likes when we all doubts about them. If they don't develop which the may not at least he will give them time. If he only goes for the crisp hurlers we would be Clare and have only won 1 Al Ireland.

The players themselves won't know what the team is next week but will have to fight once they get the jersey. I don't see an All Ireland in us but I am happy that we have started a process where as last year we came back and tried very little new guys.

Agree on both points with JJ. Conor Fogarty is a key cog for us but he needs to be midfield. Wins an awful lot of ball particularly in rucks and around the half back line. Provides great bite in the tackle and covers savage ground.

Also Cillian Buckley is way better in half back line, has been twice the player since moving there. His positioning is awful at midfield. He does offer good forward runs from there at midfield like in that Tipp league game last year. But think people are saying he should play there based on that one match. Maybe Cody will give him time there and we will learn more.

Bit nervy when Eoin Murphy comes off his line into a group of players, he needs to stay on his line and trust the backs, he has been caught against Clare by doing this before and did it twice on Sunday. He is some operator though, wouldn't swap him for any keeper.

Ideally we can nail down a 3, 6, 9 and that would allow Padraig at 5 and Buckley at 7 and Fogarty at 8 and we go from there. Unfortunately these three will have to plug gaps if e don't find them and they may not be there but hopefully we learn this in the league.

However I feel very positive that Cody has gotten in to the younger lads heads after Sunday and got the point accross that its all to play for now and you fight hard for a place on the panel. Wexford had a stronger team out and the younger lads gave it everything and got stuck into more established inter county players showing them no respect. Like Mossy Keoghan, Alan Murphy starting and they didn't start 3 months ago for the 21s. Sheehan not on panel and he is in mix. That sends a message to the likes of other guys who were ahead of them on the 21s that its time to go and tells the likes of Ger Alyward that they need to be ready. Maybe these guys might not make it but the seed that places are up for grabs has been sown which is why I am happy with how things are going.

Conor O Shea, Pat Lyng and Mossy Keoghans hurling will keep improving and Cody knows he won't have 15 Tjs. He will attempt to balance a bit of everything. He won't write off lads because there hurling isn't crisp enough yet. He will let them develop like he did with Taggy, Ryall, Brian Hogan and the likes when we all doubts about them. If they don't develop which the may not at least he will give them time. If he only goes for the crisp hurlers we would be Clare and have only won 1 Al Ireland.

The players themselves won't know what the team is next week but will have to fight once they get the jersey. I don't see an All Ireland in us but I am happy that we have started a process where as last year we came back and tried very little new guys.

I think the big decision this year is whether we always look to plug the gaps at say fullback, corner back and Centre Back or we stick with players who are not quite at the top level yet but could potentially reach that standard in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

That is the big call really, the good thing is there is more games to see these players in which is a huge positive. But i would be thinking along same lines as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

You plug the gaps it's more of a short term fix and the problem never goes away. I'd rather have a couple of development/transition years and be competitive in a couple of years rather than paper over cracks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Well the worst of both worlds was last year, papering over the cracks by moving some of your best players into positions where they're not effective, so that instead of one position of need you end up with two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Hoggie did try to appeal but it was turned down

“I was actually laughing coming off the pitch because of that.

“I still don’t know why I got it but it stands anyway.

“I did contest it, yeah, and no luck which is strange.

“You can see the video of the whole incident, if you ever have a chance to look at it and have a laugh. I wasted half a day off work to go contest it, you put your point across but you know early on what’s coming.”

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/2060800/patrick-horgan-still-baffled-as-to-why-hes-suspended-for-corks-first-game-in-the-new-pairc-ui-chaoimh/

He's a big loss for us on Saturday night

There is a lack of top players we have maybe 3 at a push 4. Cant keep covering over cracks with the same players

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

4 Kilkenny men involved with DCU today
    Darren mullin at midfield. John Donnelly at full forward. Conor Delaney at CB. Darragh Brennan of carrickshock came on . They beat LIT by a point

Darren mullin at midfield. John Donnelly at full forward. Conor Delaney at CB. Darragh Brennan of carrickshock came on . They beat LIT by a point

Good to see that. how did John Donnelly do ?

Village87 wrote: »

Good to see that. how did John Donnelly do ?
    He wasn't mentioned in the report or didn't score so that wouldn't be great.it's good to see a few kk lads involved wit and ucd might also have a few lads...where is Billy ryan I'd like to see him get gametime in the league although Sean looks a better more consistent hurler

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

As above I only seen a small report and none of the kk players scored anyway. He did play the full match anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

He wasn't mentioned in the report or didn't score so that wouldn't be great.it's good to see a few kk lads involved wit and ucd might also have a few lads...where is Billy ryan I'd like to see him get gametime in the league although Sean looks a better more consistent hurler

Billy is in St Pats doing primary school teaching, he was unavailable the last two Saturdays as he was sitting exams, and Sean is doing his Leaving in Kierans.

Doltanian wrote: »
    Wheras in Kilkenny they make no effort to promote football at all. Effectively all of North Kerry north of Tralee town in a football desert and Hurling is the predominant sport, likewise in the south down in Kenmare and Kilgarvan they are two huge hurling clubs also.

When you get out of your high chair eating solids start to talk sense don't annoy us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

PeterCasey wrote: »
    When you get out of your high chair eating solids start to talk sense don't annoy us

Seriously?.. you're worse to engage with these posters.

• Advertisement

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Seriously?.. you're worse to engage with these posters.

You do the same

So with tj also out this weekend we'll be scarce on experience especially up front.also doubts over buckley and fogarty.
    You'd expect maybe the backs and mf to stay much the same for Saturday.Lester will probably start somewhere.Joe lyng could start if his available but it's the bit experience up front that we could miss but the lads couldn't be faulted for effort last weekend.
    Leahy would be a help and maybe this game might suit john Walsh.
    When is the fitzgibbon on again?

So with tj also out this weekend we'll be scarce on experience especially up front.also doubts over buckley and fogarty.
    You'd expect maybe the backs and mf to stay much the same for Saturday.Lester will probably start somewhere.Joe lyng could start if his available but it's the bit experience up front that we could miss but the lads couldn't be faulted for effort last weekend.
    Leahy would be a help and maybe this game might suit john Walsh.
    When is the fitzgibbon on again?

You certainly couldn't fault them for effort I was happy enough with the way they played the ref was terrible, the linesman all he was looking for was headline news he didn't put up the flag or the umpire didn't do anything when Enda Morrisey was pulled on after Wexford scored the goal that Wexford player should have been sent off. I think you need a player like Joe Lyng in there he wouldn't be afraid Leahy hurled well in the colleges match yesterday . We are going to have be patient this thing of lads critizising that players were sloppy Saturday shows they have no respect for lads that went out on a shocking day.

I'm heading down saturday night it's being years since I was down.Any tips on parking etc would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Any tips on parking etc would be appreciated.

I presume you are a woman if your not great at the parking. Check your mirrors and make sure you use the handbrake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I'd have Lester starting in midfield. He's a good option there to win a few breaks and get stuck in at ruck time. Pitch could be rough enough if rain contuines!

It'll not be pretty but lads needs to stand up and get stuck in from first whistle. Good game for us to start the league season after a decent run in the Walsh Cup. That should have brought the lads on a bit and it would be good preparation for Cork on Saturday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Did anyone find it strange the amount of Wexford players that ‘lost’ their helmets during the match on Sunday.

Did anyone find it strange the amount of Wexford players that ‘lost’ their helmets during the match on Sunday.

Did it happen more than once ?

Big over reaction from Brian Cody, his post match thoughts should have been kept to himself. Need all our focus for Saturday now.

Should be a quality game

Should be a good game.kk should be sharp enough.I'd expect joe lyng and lester to start.I'd also like to see leahy and delaney starting but with college commitment its unlikely.How long is richie Reid gone for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Did it happen more than once ?

Big over reaction from Brian Cody, his post match thoughts should have been kept to himself. Need all our focus for Saturday now.

Should be a quality game

Yes it happened a good few times, at least 5. I think that’s what Cody was going and over. A culmination of a lot of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

I am sure Cody was right and saw fit in his protest against the perceived injustice. However refusing to take orders from the ref is a different matter and by doing so he shows a bad example to his players but it lowered him into the same category as his opposite number who took the opportunity like I expected he would.

• Advertisement

I presume you are a woman if your not great at the parking. Check your mirrors and make sure you use the handbrake.

Wouldn't like to meet you out are you a man or a woman you could do a crocodile Dundee on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Mankbag

The players themselves won't know what the team is next week but will have to fight once they get the jersey. I don't see an All Ireland in us but I am happy that we have started a process where as last year we came back and tried very little new guys.[/QUOTE]

Yes, let's hope that this year we try very big new guys instead.

Its going to be interesting to see what lads will hold on after the Walsh cup..the panel will be reduced around this time..I think there's around ten in from the 21s.Brian has a large group the last few months he probaly has an idea of what he has
    I would of liked to have seen tom alyward or more of simon alyward or mansfield because I liked the look of a few of the Vegas men I seen last year.there's no going back with them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I think we’ll probably see a similar team to last weekend out. With the colleges lads playing again Thursday, we mightn’t see too many of them at the weekend. Hopefully we might see Tom Awlyard on Saturday and that would allow us to push Padraig further out the field. I think Ger Awlyard is nearly back aswell so hopefully he’ll make it on Saturday too. The team is like too see assuming we won’t have some of the college lads would be:

E Murphy
    J Holden, T Awlyard, P Deegan
    E Morrissey, C Buckley, J Lyng
    C Fogarty, O Walsh
    M Keoghan, P Walsh, R Leahy
    A Murphy, W Walsh, G Awlyard

Hopefully at some stage in the league we might see Luke Scanlon, Seanie Morrissey and Billy Ryan tried aswell.

Local radio are saying cody won't face any suspension from the other day and richie reid will be back because it's a different competition his suspension won't come in to affect till next year walsh cup.I'd expect reid to start at 11 saturday

Local radio are saying cody won't face any suspension from the other day and richie reid will be back because it's a different competition his suspension won't come in to affect till next year walsh cup.I'd expect reid to start at 11 saturday

Is it the same with Pat Horgan ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Is it the same with Pat Horgan ?

Going by media reports, he's suspended. Not sure why but maybe Walsh Cup is provincial competition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

I think we’ll probably see a similar team to last weekend out. With the colleges lads playing again Thursday, we mightn’t see too many of them at the weekend. Hopefully we might see Tom Awlyard on Saturday and that would allow us to push Padraig further out the field. I think Ger Awlyard is nearly back aswell so hopefully he’ll make it on Saturday too. The team is like too see assuming we won’t have some of the college lads would be:

E Murphy
    J Holden, T Awlyard, P Deegan
    E Morrissey, C Buckley, J Lyng
    C Fogarty, O Walsh
    M Keoghan, P Walsh, R Leahy
    A Murphy, W Walsh, G Awlyard

Hopefully at some stage in the league we might see Luke Scanlon, Seanie Morrissey and Billy Ryan tried aswell.

According to some Ger Awlyard won’t be involved this year, nor will Farrell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

VonZan wrote: »
    According to some Ger Awlyard won’t be involved this year, nor will Farrell.

Johnjo is definitely gone from the panel this year but Ger is still involved with the county panel.

Going by media reports, he's suspended. Not sure why but maybe Walsh Cup is provincial competition?

It's treated as a standalone competition so the suspension is carried over to next year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement