Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

Village87 wrote: »
    Cork gave us every chance to beat them last night. They were rusty enough but we were not good enough to take them. Zero goal treat.

Eoin Murphy - Amazing, best kk keeper ever. Shot stopping, frees,puck outs all 10/10
    Joey Holden - Poor, all he wants to do is wrestle, poor skill level, he was lucky Cork forwards struggled with the pitch. He must hate the sight of Harnedy
    Padriag Walsh - As I said before kk best player wasted full back, but the only option at the moment.
    Paddy Deegan - U 14 hurlers have more skill, blatantly cant hit off his right side, there for a roasting on a dry day, slow on the turn.
    Conor O Shea - Simply not an option, way to slow, Cork scored 1-24 should have got 3-27/28, no pace,when he gets turned he is finished
    Joe Lyng - Bif of a presence, but striking, touch and distribution way off, struggled on Lehane. Poor state of affairs if he is Kilkennys no.1 centre back
    Cillian Buckley - Great game getting on loads of possions, had a good duel with Flynn, who had decent game to if wasteful.
    James Maher - Good athlete - worked hard and tired in the second half. Again he looks awkward and easy to hook.
    Conor Fogarty. Consistent 6/10 display struggled on Kearney in the second half offers zero in possession. Loves a ruck
    Pat Lyng- Worked hard but wasteful. Another with poor skill level
    Richie Reid- Lovely Hurler which kk lack but doesn't want to know about the hard ball and the Cork debutant centre back was Excellent. Jury still out
    Martin Keoghan - Worked hard, he will make it, great experience
    Conor Martin - Kilkenny had some good hurlers over last 10-12 years get dropped over a bad game or two when they get their chance. Conor Martin is their 4 years now. Shocking display again
    Walter Walsh - Got on loads of possession, great battle with Cadogen, bit wasteful, should have 4/5 points, very little help inside with him. Again looks awkward
    Alan Murphy - poor night on the frees. Not sure if he is up to it yet. Looking for loose ball can't win 50/50 ball or escape his marker.

TJ - Off the pace and looks unfit
    Ollie Walsh - did ok when on, trying to be creative and take opponents on
    John Donnelly- poor mobility, still young though.

Big match against Clare next week, a must win.

Agree with above comments, but would give some of the players more of an out than you did. But if they are calling me ignorant, what are they going to call you. Joke��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Cork gave us every chance to beat them last night. They were rusty enough but we were not good enough to take them. Zero goal treat.

Eoin Murphy - Amazing, best kk keeper ever. Shot stopping, frees,puck outs all 10/10
    Joey Holden - Poor, all he wants to do is wrestle, poor skill level, he was lucky Cork forwards struggled with the pitch. He must hate the sight of Harnedy
    Padriag Walsh - As I said before kk best player wasted full back, but the only option at the moment.
    Paddy Deegan - U 14 hurlers have more skill, blatantly cant hit off his right side, there for a roasting on a dry day, slow on the turn.
    Conor O Shea - Simply not an option, way to slow, Cork scored 1-24 should have got 3-27/28, no pace,when he gets turned he is finished
    Joe Lyng - Bif of a presence, but striking, touch and distribution way off, struggled on Lehane. Poor state of affairs if he is Kilkennys no.1 centre back
    Cillian Buckley - Great game getting on loads of possions, had a good duel with Flynn, who had decent game to if wasteful.
    James Maher - Good athlete - worked hard and tired in the second half. Again he looks awkward and easy to hook.
    Conor Fogarty. Consistent 6/10 display struggled on Kearney in the second half offers zero in possession. Loves a ruck
    Richie Reid- Lovely Hurler which kk lack but doesn't want to know about the hard ball and the Cork debutant centre back was Excellent. Jury still out
    Conor Martin - Kilkenny had some good hurlers over last 10-12 years get dropped over a bad game or two when they get their chance. Conor Martin is their 4 years now. Shocking display again
    Walter Walsh - Got on loads of possession, great battle with Cadogen, bit wasteful, should have 4/5 points, very little help inside with him. Again looks awkward
    Alan Murphy - poor night on the frees. Not sure if he is up to it yet. Looking for loose ball can't win 50/50 ball or escape his marker.

Who did Ollie Walsh come on for.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BORO BILL

PeterCasey wrote: »

He didn’t come on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I definitely wouldn't be too critical of the lads last night but as others are saying we lack a goal getter but kevin kelly,walsh,bolger and aylward have that in them.I'd like to see Billy ryan tried.
    I hope cody goes for broke and tries someone else at 3 we need walsh at 5.
    The younger lads need to be given time
    If joey and deegan aren't the awnser who else is there?delaney,tommy walsh?

PeterCasey wrote: »

It was leahy who came on

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

brookville wrote: »
    I definitely wouldn't be too critical of the lads last night but as others are saying we lack a goal getter but kevin kelly,walsh,bolger and aylward have that in them.I'd like to see Billy ryan tried.
    I hope cody goes for broke and tries someone else at 3 we need walsh at 5.
    The younger lads need to be given time
    If joey and deegan aren't the awnser who else is there?delaney,tommy walsh?

Conor Delaney hasn't been tried there at all. Padraig Walsh was our beat player last year in Ennis when we got a hiding but Conor deserves the chance there. If he is not going to get it for whatever reason the I'm afraid padraig will stay put. The only other option that might work full back would be joe lyng.
    Any news on Jason cleere as he would be a better option than Conor o shea.

I think cleere won't be back for a few months but he looks a good option in the half back line
    I was hoping we might of seen delaney or tom aylward tried in the league but it looks like he has his mind made up with walsh.
    Alan murphy was very good last week it was very hard for him to have the same influence but he missed a few frees.
    Richie reid has being a bright spark so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

BORO BILL wrote: »
    He didn’t come on

Well he said he did in his rating critical analysis of players

Clare next week is a must win game we haven't a great record recently against them.I didn't see their match today but they had a good win.You'd expect their ff line to cause us more trouble.
    Ger alyward could be nearly back he'd be a help and tj should also start.
    I'd like to see leahy and donnelly start and hopefully delaney gets gametime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

It's going to be a long season. Realistically, we'll probably be in the relegation playoff but we need to use the league to try lads out and be ready for Leinster championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

It's going to be a long season. Realistically, we'll probably be in the relegation playoff but we need to use the league to try lads out and be ready for Leinster championship.

We lost a match away from home by 3 points which was pretty much score for score the majority of the way through and it slipped away from us after we lost our captain and best player on the night to what looked at the time like a very serious injury. We have three home matches to come out of four and i didn't see anything down in Ennis today to scare the children and the result in Walsh Park paints our draw with Wexford last week in a better light.

I thought there was a number of positives to take from last night but the defence is major area of concern. Obviously we have Paul Murphy to come back but what's he going to be like having not hurled for six months? And the injury to Jason Cleere is missed opportunity to give him game time. Hopefully Delaney will be given some role next weekend, preferably at full which would release Padraig out to the half, but he could also be used in the corner or on the wing where Holden and O'Shea struggled for long periods last night.

Dionysis wrote: »
    To be fair to players I agree that you have to give the younger ones some time to get up to inter county level, especially in Kilkenny, as the standard of strength and fitness that our 19-22 year olds have coming into the senior set up is probably the lowest of ANY inter county setup in the country. Essentially we create talent at 12-16 and do nothing to convert it to senior grade. Cody has an impossible job on his hands at the moment and to be fair to him, he’s not a miracle worker. Everyone else outside of KK does not understand the poor standard of player being handed over to Cody. For years people said that younger players had to do an apprenticeship and sit on th3 sidelines until 24/26. Rubbish, they simply were not up to the physical or mental standards to play inter county hurling and Cody had to do this job, which should mainly have been done by 5he managers that came before him, but wasn’t.

Regarding last night, A COUPLE OF THINGS BECAME CLEAR.
    1. We won’t win anything this year. Were years off Galway, Waterford or Tipp.
    2. We had more natural talent than Cork last night, and a couple of times should have scored goals but didn’t. The game suited us, in a similar way to the game versus Tipp in Semple stadium last year. Loose marking open game. Our soft light hurlers were given space to play. That doesn’t happen in championship. But we do have a decent amount of natural ability in that team.
    3. Our players lack drive. They may not win a confrontation, but they should at least try, which a couple of our lads lack.
    4. Some of the players will never make inter county, and it would be better off to ditch them now and get in a lesser player now who will make it in the future.
    5. Cody should start turning the screw on the younger lads, regarding putting it in, drive, and hunger. They walk around the field out there. And last night a lot of them thought they were playing a club game.

A couple of concerns with players last night.
    Deegan keeps turning back onto his left to hit the ball - somebody please tell him that this is inter county standard hurling, and that is simply not acceptable. Also he doesn’t have pace, so letting his man run out in front of him is a no no.
    Holden needs to decide he wants to play inter county or not, and put it in.
    Walter, needs to find a mean side to him, he’s too soft for 6’4”.
    If Alan Murphy stands off anymore waiting on a pass so he can score, he’ll be standing out in the stands. He’s only on at the moment as he’s supposed to be a free taker. With that in mind he needs to convert all the frees. Free takers missing easy scores in the modern game is not acceptable.

Jaysus we have Kilkennys' answer to Babs Keating in the house!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Jesus, this is a depressing thread.

****ing hell, the sides were level on 68 mins. Murphy missed a couple of frees that might have had us ahead. We hurled well.

Walter was a leader. Buckley was amazing. We probably have the best keeper to ever play the game. Mossy Keoghan hurled well. We got a lot of lads competitive game time. James Maher hurled well after a long absence.

Where was the uproar when Cody took or best ever half back, JJ and put him @ #3? It's obviously a position he deems absolutely critical. I agree with him. I want someone back there that I can 100% depend on, and of the options available, that is Padraig.

The result isn't massively relevant, it could have went either way. Lest we forget, these are the Munster Champions, with a very strong forward line named.

Steven Staunton may be an option in the half back line once Ballyragget finish.

There was a lot more to be happy about last night than to moan about. The negativity here is tiresome.

We won't be too far away this year ...

I think delaney could be an option at corner or wing back hopefully he gets gametime next week you'd expect him to make a few changes

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

For a team with so many unavailable it was positive enough.
    I do think Joey has to improve considerably but the problems are not just with him. We have to consolidate our full back line and if that means padraig stays there then we have to accept it.
    With fast diagonal ball we are not at the races in the two corners. We have to be out with the corner and half forwards so they don't have time to turn us as easily.
    I think Joe lyng will improve an awful lot with a consistent run of games.

There are a good few to come back and hopefully we will see them sooner rather than later.

Paul Murphy gone till may.
    Conor Delaney - worth a run at 3
    Ryan Bergin - also worth a run. Fast and skilful
    Tommy Walsh - Will get game time but maybe not this year.
    Pat lyng - wouldn't mind seeing him in the half back line as cleere is obviously gone for a few months.

Lester Ryan. Don't know what's happening here as he would be a certain starter in midfield if fit.

Richie Leahy - Will start come championship either midfield or left half forward
    TJ Reid - will probably start v Clare
    Richie Hogan - probably unavailable for next few league matches
    Kevin Kelly - once club all Ireland finishes you would expect him to drive on
    Chris Bolger - needs to take his chance when it comes
    Donnelly - trimmed up and like Bolger need to take his scores when the chance arises
    Blanchfield - Will get more game time as Fitzgibbon finishes
    John Walsh - Will get chances as a sub and needs to take them
    Like Scanlon- definite potential but like Tommy Walsh may not get much game time this year.
    Billy Ryan- on his day very impressive

Don't know where get aylwards preparation is at the minute but if his mobility has improved then is worth a run if he can rediscover his diagonal running.

The main thing from an attacking point if view is creating goal chances, support play from other forwards and pulling backs out of comfort zones so space is opened up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

An early stab at our team for the first Championship match, injuries permitting. From eight to fifteen, I would go for the following:
    Conor Fogarty
    Richie Leahy
    Richie Hogan
    Richie Reid
    TJ
    Wally
    and two of
    Get Aylward, Kevin Kelly, Blanch, Conor Martin, John Walsh, Bolger, Ollie Walsh, James Maher. Richie Hogan or Richie Leahy could play either in the forwards or midfield.
    Naming 2-7 is more difficult. I would love to see Padraig Walsh at right wing back with Buckley at 7. Joe Lyng or Robert Lennon at centre back. Conor Delaney at full back. The back line needs some experience so I would persist with Joey Holden at 2 with Jason Cleere/Tommy Walsh left back.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Ollie Walsh was at home sick. Richie Leahy came on ... I was at the match:)

That cork forward line have serious pace and will cause most defences trouble..conor martin should of scored his goal chance.walter was very good last night hopefuly he can take the pressure off tj and richie
    Looking at the match again you have to be impressed with the effort and hard work from the lads.
    I thought alan murphy done OK and james maher got on a good bit of ball.
    Our 2 corner backs do need attention and now is the time to try lads.
    Id like to see Billy ryan getting game suprised his not making the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Holden has played in three All-Ireland finals, 2014, 2015, 2016. Has two winners medals, has an all-star. And was dropped last year, and doesn’t look like he’s the man to claim a spot this year, so far. If that was Jackie, Hickey, Tommy, Jj, Hogan, Buckley, Murphy, Kavanagh.... you would have seen a different man starting out in 2018. And we have not. He’s not a youngster, he’s experienced and he needs to decide what he wants. Similar for Lester Ryan. This team has major gaps and they are not fighting to make sure they fill some of them.
    That’s not ignorance, just reality. I expected to see a man this year who wants his fcuk’n place back. Even if he’s not fit, hes fighting like a dog for it. I haven’t, and he’s not. If you choose to be a snowflake millennial about it, then that’s your choice, but snowflakes don’t win all-Ireland’s, not even one in a rows.

The truth is harsh. We’ve been beaten by Wexford the last three times we’ve played them and if you were a betting man, you’d say they’ll make it four in a row, in the league. Coming from what? One U-21 title since 1996.
    Harsh decisions need to be made, that’s sport. You get what you tolerate.

You havent a clue how hard Lester Ryan works to try and get in there... Total ignorance

In future I must must remember to run my opinions by you for approval before posting, you obviously feel that you are the censor here. If you want to live in a snowflake world go ahead, everything is perfect, everyone is brilliant. But some, call it as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Thank God you're here. The hero we need, but don't deserve.

You havent a clue how hard Lester Ryan works to try and get in there... Total ignorance

Your right I’m ignorant, and Cody must be as well, that’s why he’s not playing him. The amount of children on this site is unbelievable.
    Reality is, either kk are the most unlucky downtrodden, over criticized hurlers, and the likes of the youngsters playing from Clare, Waterford, Galway, Wexford and Tipp (who are coming on to there senior teams a lot quicker and are more capable of meeting the requirements of the senior game than our lads), are just unusually lucky to be performing on there respective senior teams as well as they are at similar young ages...or there is a bigger issue in kk. Reality is there is an issue and its visible to us.
    For those who saw the game last night, Cork were there for the taking.
    Some on the cork site they are saying but for a free taker, kk would have won. Others include that is backs were poor.
    Kk have more done in training than most and have had a tough game last weekend, so kk are ahead, it didn’t show last night just the same old misgivings. Walter wasn’t struggling for fitness last night, but he needs to develop a mean side, as he’s put off his game far too easy. Alan Murphy is not his older or younger brother Shane and needs to get stuck in, fact. Richie Reid has even more talent than I would have given him credit for, has skill I doubt a lot on here even know about, but he needs to get stuck in. The Cork youngsters who haven’t won anything were getting stuck in, we were not. They wanted to win, most of our team didn’t show that they did. That’s fact, and you can choose to ignore it or not. You may call me ignorant, you may be right 5hat my manner is ignorant, but you are ignorant to the game, if you can’t see what is being said.

Thank God you're here. The hero we need, but don't deserve.

Again talk about something else other than the game, try to deflect from the points that are made. You obviously feel your the censor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

The Cork youngsters who haven’t won anything were getting stuck in, we were not. They wanted to win, most of our team didn’t show that they did. That’s fact, and you can choose to ignore it or not.

You do know that Kilkenny were the team in black and amber right??

danganabu wrote: »
    You do know that Kilkenny were the team in black and amber right??

Stick to commenting about KK gaa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Stick to commenting about KK gaa.

In fairnes, you dismiss anyone who disagrees with you as either "the censor", "not focusing on the game" or, if they have focused on the game but interpreted it differently than you as "ignorant to the game". But your actual analysis of the match has no relation to what most people actually saw. I don't think it's particularly helpful to getting a good debate going about how the team is progressing if that's the attitude you're going to take to anyone who disagrees with you.

For what it's worth I think there's worth in some of what you are saying. I think in general you're right about Walter needing a bit more edge to his game, although I thought he did OK yesterday. And there is probably a general lack of the kind of ruthlessness that Jackie and the likes brought to the team. But to say they weren't fighting hard in the match yesterday, just doesn't jive with the team I actually saw playing yesterday.

The stuff about Blanchfield lads were saying earlier, it's true yesterday he got no ball in the time he was on the field but what we've seen of him at senior hasn't lived up to his promise at minor, and the lack of pace going for loose ball last year didn't bode well. Hope he does push on now all the same, he could be a huge addition to the forwards if he can develop into the player he's capable of being.

I think that's part of the point Dionysis is making is that we do have some talented players there, and just because they aren't JJ or Tommy doesn't mean they should be set a lower bar because then they'll live down to those expectations. Last year the whole set up looked lethargic and bored, no edge or hunger to it at all until the Waterford match. But while I have my reservations about Holden, and think we know who he is as a player at this stage, questioning his commitment to the team (or Lester Ryan's, of all players to question the workrate of) is missing the point.

I was watching back over the match today and I think the criticism of the puck outs from some posters was way off, there's far more thought going into it than there used to be. Generally thought the ball going in was better than last year but to be honest most of that was coming directly from Buckley, he was setting up lads in the forwards all day when he wasn't putting them over himself. Once he was gone that creativity wasn't there as much. More worrying was that the backs were being caught out by fairly simple running off the shoulder by the Cork forwards. Look at the goal again, the ball goes into Kingston with no man in any position to do anything about either the pass OR its recipient. That kind of positional awareness would be bad enough if they were dealing with a sweeper, but they were in a conventional set-up, was very naive, junior level stuff.

I thought Mossy Keoghan up front fought hard, but he's in serious need of bulking up a bit. Wouldn't say anyone grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck that we weren't already all very familiar with.

But it's day one of the season as well and we put in a decent shift against strong opposition, and would have won if Buckley had stayed on the field. It's easy to overreact to the first game of the league. I suppose it's easy to dismiss it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

A game we could have won.
    The Buckley injury killed the momentum that we had built up, and Cork tagged on the few points after that while our lads didn't restart.
    All in all , I wasn't too downbeat after it. Plenty of hard work for the panel and management.
    I don't expect us to be in Croker in September, but I think all KK supporters feel the same.
    Rebuilding.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

I think there's a few lads on here would need to calm down a small bit, Every Kilkenny hurler tried their heart and sole out Saturday night, It didn't always work out for them and some guys may not be up to the pace of it yet as a lot of them are seeing their first real action at senior level, there's so many positions up for grabs that its hard on lads coming into the team with so few regulars around them, But the criticism here is far too harsh on these young players trying to establish themselves. Some of our previous and current greats ( TJ, Jackie, Richie Hogan, Michael Fennelly, Eddie) took several seasons to get up to speed and they were coming onto established teams where everyone around them was on top of their man. Don't forget its still only January there's a lot of hurling still to be done. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't think we have the right to Judge the players that harshly or be so quick to judge and second guess the management. There is players being discounted after maybe 90 mins of play and its only January yet. Were no longer the top team in the country and like it or not we're going to have to get used to it, Its going to take a little bit of time now get back competitive and the players need time to settle which I think they're doing a good job of and also the work rate is far improved this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BORO BILL

Well said totally agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Village87

Irish Beef wrote: »
    I think there's a few lads on here would need to calm down a small bit, Every Kilkenny hurler tried their heart and sole out Saturday night, It didn't always work out for them and some guys may not be up to the pace of it yet as a lot of them are seeing their first real action at senior level, there's so many positions up for grabs that its hard on lads coming into the team with so few regulars around them, But the criticism here is far too harsh on these young players trying to establish themselves. Some of our previous and current greats ( TJ, Jackie, Richie Hogan, Michael Fennelly, Eddie) took several seasons to get up to speed and they were coming onto established teams where everyone around them was on top of their man. Don't forget its still only January there's a lot of hurling still to be done. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't think we have the right to Judge the players that harshly or be so quick to judge and second guess the management. There is players being discounted after maybe 90 mins of play and its only January yet. Were no longer the top team in the country and like it or not we're going to have to get used to it, Its going to take a little bit of time now get back competitive and the players need time to settle which I think they're doing a good job of and also the work rate is far improved this year.

I do agree with a lot of what you are saying but Kilkenny have had the same management in place during these years and should have made the transition a bit smoother than they have. Kilkenny have played 9 games since last year excluding the Walsh Cup and won 3 of these games, that is not good enough for county as strong as Kilkenny. They have been over taken but 6/7 teams in the country over the last 3/4 years. Im not sure did the management take the eye off the ball or the county board but some of the players Kilkenny are producing are way off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

For those unable to make next weekend it looks as if KK v Clare is the second deferred game on TG4 next Sunday so should be on around 17.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Why didn't you contradict him just on the basis of his opinions?

We won't be too far away this year ...

Cliche alert. Doesn't mean anything. It's like being "there or thereabouts".

I think that is more pessimistic than realistic. There's a lot of play ahead yet and even after next weekend the table could look very different. Kilkenny are competitive and where that takes them remains to be seen.

I'm noticing a lot more "Smart Ar$e" comments in the past couple of weeks on the page.
    I know there was a few Wind Up Merchants from other counties in here 'hopping balls' to get a bite or two, but why do people have to resort to bitchy retorts, instead of just disagreeing, and then put forward their argument.
    There is more fun, and more information that way.... IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Interested on who the lovely Hurler's who got dropped after 1 or 2 games are, I dont think it happened all that much to be honest even considering that it was way harder to get on the panel 10 years ago. Cody has a long history of giving lads who are on the panel but hadn't really nailed down a place a good bit of game time in the year that he drops them. Agree with a lot of what you said even if some of the language around under 14 Hurlers is a bit extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

It was disappointing not to get the win on Saturday night but I think there has been a bit of an over reaction from some poster here on the performance. Personally I thought we hurled well and were right in the game until the very end. We had a lot of new inexperienced players on Saturday night and in the end I think that is what cost us, especially after Buckley went off. It's going to take the younger lads time to adjust to this level but one thing that is evident over the last 2 weekends is that there is no shortage of workrate and effort going in.

A lot has been said about moving Padraig back to full back but in defence of the management I think he has been the only real option over the last 2 weekends. Conor Delaney has played 2 games with DCU during the week and I think it would have been too much expecting to play Saturday night. Of our other full back options Rob Lennon was injured in the Walsh Cup and Tom Awlyard picked up an injury in training and isn't right yet. Once these players and possibly someone like Geoff Morrissey from Ballyragget become available we may see Padraig moved back out the field.

I think we have been better in the forwards over the last 2 weeks and we showed up for most of last year and once the likes of TJ and Richie Hogan make there way back into the team along with the likes of Kevin Kelly, Ger Awlyard and Chris Bolger I think we will become more pace and goal threat in our team.

Hopefully next Sunday we see the likes of Delaney, Donnelly and Leahy tried from the start. Is there another round of Fitzgibbon games this week?

They have been over taken but 6/7 teams in the country over the last 3/4 years.

That a bit ott now. Galway, Tipp and Waterford just about ahead of KK but 6 or 7, not a chance.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Cliche alert. Doesn't mean anything. It's like being "there or thereabouts".
    I think that is more pessimistic than realistic. There's a lot of play ahead yet and even after next weekend the table could look very different. Kilkenny are competitive and where that takes them remains to be seen.

I think its the irony I like the best :D:D

• Advertisement

In future I must must remember to run my opinions by you for approval before posting, you obviously feel that you are the censor here. If you want to live in a snowflake world go ahead, everything is perfect, everyone is brilliant. But some, call it as it is.

If you actually made any sense i might actually take you seriously!:rolleyes: You seem to like the term snowflake, it's obviously a contemporary hip word you learned recently!:D

Anyway dude you keep "calling it as it is"!:D

Why didn't you contradict him just on the basis of his opinions?

I genuinely wouldn't waste my time even having a discussion with someone like him, he makes absolutely no sense!

And away from the name calling and smart ar$e$...

Thomastown very unlucky in the Camogie semi final against Slaughtneil going down after Extra time.
    Final score 0-14 to 0-11.
    Thomastown were down by 0-09 to 0-02 at half time, and the wind played its part.

in the other Semi Final , Sarsfields of Galways just edged out Tipperary’s Burgess-Duharra 0-10 to 0-9 in Banagher to set up a repeat of last year’s Final.

That a bit ott now. Galway, Tipp and Waterford just about ahead of KK but 6 or 7, not a chance.

So Wexford beating them in the championship last year and Cork reaching an All-Ireland semi-final last year counts for nothing? There is a strong argument that there are five counties ahead of Kilkenny anyway. Not necessarily by much but ahead on the basis of results anyway.

Like I said this there could be a very different outlook and attitude in a few weeks depending in how results go, but for some reason you seem to see such an observation as ironic.

So Wexford beating them in the championship last year and Cork reaching an All-Ireland semi-final last year counts for nothing? There is a strong argument that there are five counties ahead of Kilkenny anyway. Not necessarily by much but ahead on the basis of results anyway.

Like I said this there could be a very different outlook and attitude in a few weeks depending in how results go, but for some reason you seem to see such an observation as ironic.

So you agree with me then, there isn't 6 or 7 and the original statement was OTT.

KK V Wexford in a knock-out championship match in Croker, I know where my money would be.

On a strict form line using Waterford then KK are still ahead of Cork, its 50/50 at best.

There may very well be a different attitude in a few weeks, that would be from people with no grasp on reality, its the League in January FFS. Galway stumbled over Antrim, Waterford had their arses handed to them by Wexford and Tipp were beaten by Clare.........wont make one iota of a differnce come July when the real hurling starts. Glorified challenge matched is what we have at the minute.

• Advertisement

I genuinely wouldn't waste my time even having a discussion with someone like him, he makes absolutely no sense!

He's offering an opinion. The question of what "makes sense" is purely subjective. Surely the lack of validity of an opinion is demonstrated only by taking it on and pointing out where his comments lack sense. Is that not what a discussion board is about?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I'm not sure about the leading hurling writer, mixes the good with the bad on gaa and is better on other sports in my opinion.

The difference for me is that Cody has been quick to drop some of the outstanding older players from the team, some might even argue too quick, Mick O Dwyer said in the recent documentary that he went too long with the old players, I don't think Cody has done that.

Was always going to be hard for any manager after the best team we had faded away. In my opinion Cody staying on to take the main hit of the team regressing and the challenge of putting a new team together will make it far easier for his successor than if he left after the all ireland finals in either 2015 or 2016.

greenspurs wrote: »
    And away from the name calling and smart ar$e$...

Thomastown very unlucky in the Camogie semi final against Slaughtneil going down after Extra time.
    Final score 0-14 to 0-11.
    Thomastown were down by 0-09 to 0-02 at half time, and the wind played its part.

in the other Semi Final , Sarsfields of Galways just edged out Tipperary’s Burgess-Duharra 0-10 to 0-9 in Banagher to set up a repeat of last year’s Final.

Ballyragget are up against kanturk sunday it has the makings of a good match.hopefully kevin Kelly will be back in know his in a race against time to be fit they'll definitely need him if there to win.

1) So you agree with me then, there isn't 6 or 7 and the original statement was OTT

2) There may very well be a different attitude in a few weeks, that would be from people with no grasp on reality, its the League in January FFS. .

1) Spoken like a legendary Keyboard Warrior. Never mind the nuance or the broader point - stick it to the c*nt on any technicality you can. The b*stard'll count the counties next time.

2) Whether it suits you or not people do react to results. The commentary here would be far different if Kilkenny had had it in them, as they had so often in the past, to kick on late in the game when it was up fro grabs on Saturday night. It was, what, Cork's third win in the last 12 League games against Kilkenny? If you think that was pure coincidence and not further indication of shifting in the pecking order you are delusional. In the same way, Kilkenny would not have lost a Walsh Cup final to Wexford a few years back.

It doesn't mean that Kilkenny are hopeless I think there's little enough between several teams but for someone like yourself to deny that they have slipped a fair bit back into the pack is just ultra-conservative thinking.

1) Spoken like a legendary Keyboard Warrior. Never mind the nuance or the broader point - stick it to the c*nt on any technicality you can. The b*stard'll count the counties next time.

2) Whether it suits you or not people do react to results. The commentary here would be far different if Kilkenny had had it in them, as they had so often in the past, to kick on late in the game when it was up fro grabs on Saturday night. It was, what, Cork's third win in the last 12 League games against Kilkenny? If you think that was pure coincidence and not further indication of shifting in the pecking order you are delusional. In the same way, Kilkenny would not have lost a Walsh Cup final to Wexford a few years back.

It doesn't mean that Kilkenny are hopeless I think there's little enough between several teams but for someone like yourself to deny that they have slipped a fair bit back into the pack is just ultra-conservative thinking.

Your first sentence Im fcuked if I know what you're raving about, I merely pointed out that I felt the original point was hyperbole, didnt stick anything to Village and I certainly didnt infer he was a cnut as you so eloquently put it, Village and myself have exchanged differing views many times but we are both adults, might be something in that you can take from ;)

I have never denied that KK have regressed, its not exactly rocket science now is it :rolleyes: and I am not from KK so your claim that my thinking is ultra conservative is a little wide of the mark.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement