Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Lads can ye take it to PM instead of filing this thread with ye're differences. Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Any word on Kevin Kelly will he be fit for Ballyragget at the weekend they will need everybody fit Kanturk are strong the best of luck to them .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

PeterCasey wrote: »
    Any word on Kevin Kelly will he be fit for Ballyragget at the weekend they will need everybody fit Kanturk are strong the best of luck to them .

Haven't heard about Kelly hopefully he makes it, how come Kanturk only have a week between semi & final?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

robwen wrote: »
    Haven't heard about Kelly hopefully he makes it, how come Kanturk only have a week between semi & final?

Game was postponed the previous Sunday, Ballyragget played on the Saturday and avoided the deluge on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

robwen wrote: »

Heard davey buggy saying he hasnt done anything since the leinster final and is 50/50 for sunday hopefully he'll start an best of luck to all involved

• Advertisement

brookville wrote: »
    Heard davey buggy saying he hasnt done anything since the leinster final and is 50/50 for sunday hopefully he'll start an best of luck to all involved

So he will not be back with the County team after sunday if that is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I'll just preface this by saying that I'd hate Cody to step down. I think things will be far more interesting with him around and Kilkenny regressing. It will be a fascinating watch to see his management skills around that. But.....you say he has earned the right to be his own judge and jury. Just wondering if you think that is permanent right? For example if, in five years time, there has not been another All-Ireland final appearance would Cody still have that right?

1. My opinion is that Brian Cody himself will know himself when is the right time to step down. He's a Kilkenny man and a Kilkenny hurling man.

2. I wouldn't stress out over an article in a newspaper. Keep the debate going about who should play and where they should play etc. A big game V Clare on Sunday. T.J. will start I'd say?

So he will not be back with the County team after sunday if that is the case.

It'll probably be a while before we see him in a kk jersey according to that but you wouldn't know.
    What are lads thoughts on this weekend?clare had a strong team out last weekend and they've beaten us on the last 3 occasions so they'll fancy their chances.
    With fitzgibbon on again we might not see much of the college lads.
    I still think it's a shame we didn't try tom aylward yet because the league is for trying things granted he had an injury and delaney has college but Id much prefer to see tommy walsh tried for a match corner back than deegan/joey because we know what we'll get with these lads.
    It's a shame cleere is injured because another league into him wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Saturday for me proved beyond any doubt padraig should play at half back with buckley.try delaney or whoever or joey.play oue best players in their best positions and fill in around them.also stop playing the likes of conor martin and playing the likes of paddy deegan at corner back (to slow).full back and midfield are 2 positions we need filled.any 6 forwards from richie tj walter ger chris bolger kevin kelly richie reid and john walsh would do for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Saturday for me proved beyond any doubt padraig should play at half back with buckley.try delaney or whoever or joey.play oue best players in their best positions and fill in around them.also stop playing the likes of conor martin and playing the likes of paddy deegan at corner back (to slow).full back and midfield are 2 positions we need filled.any 6 forwards from richie tj walter ger chris bolger kevin kelly richie reid and john walsh would do for me.
    Cody will not change Padraig from no.3 for two reasons.
    1. We need a good hurler there. JJ was typical of that theory and IMO he turned out to be the best full back I ever saw.
    2. Cody was a full back himself and knows how important that role is. He always has taken that selection very serious.

So people stop saying Padraig should be be somewhere else on the pitch because it ant gonna happen.

• Advertisement

I think all us supporters would like to see walsh and Buckley in the hb line but it looks increasingly unlikely.
    There has being holes in our defence for the last 2 years and moving Walsh out won't solve them all but I would be in favour of cody going for broke and trying delaney or tom alyward for a game or 2 in the league as I feel these 2 are our best option for full back.
    Up front Id be trying to get games into lads like billy ryan,walsh,bolger ahead of some who are getting gametime at the moment but these lads should get their chance during the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Probably a subs role for Ritchie Leahy ?
    I really like the look of him, fast skilful and can go past an opponent.

Will TJ be a starter ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

greenspurs wrote: »
    Probably a subs role for Ritchie Leahy ?
    I really like the look of him, fast skilful and can go past an opponent.

Will TJ be a starter ?

Leahy will probably be playing fitzgibbon tomorrow so probably will start on the bench. If TJ came through Saturday night ok you’d say he’d have to start, it would be great for the young lads to have his experience beside them. I’d start him full forward and move Wally out to the half forward line. Hopefully we’ll see Conor Delaney or Tommy Walsh tried at the weekend too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Mankbag

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Did I really suggest they were? You are overthinking what I wrote. I simply agreed with the original poster who suggested that they had an advantage through the few games they had against some weak opposition in those years. The later team has tougher campaigns and stronger opposition. Munster, with Cork on strike and Tipperary down was historically weak in those years. Limerick reached the 2007 final having won only three of seven matches in that championship! That's how mediocre they were. We saw a more realistic view of Kilkenny in the 2009 final when they had to go to the well to get past a rookie team.

It is downright - and I suspect deliberately - bizarre to say that the 2011-15 team faced stronger opposition than the 2006-09 team. Just not true.

Waterford were clearly inferior to what they had been in the noughties. Galway and Limerick were much the same. Wexford were, if anything, worse. Kilkenny defeated the last good Cork team in 2006.

The only team consistently better in 2011-15 than they had been in 2006-09 were Tipperary, and Kilkenny got tired beating them.

The reason Kilkenny 2011-15 had tougher campaigns was because they weren't as good as Kilkenny 2006-09. Fairly obvious, surely?

Big game for our league campaign on Sunday V Clare. 2nd game of the league, aftwr losing first game is crucial. They've held the upper hand this past few years. Home advantage should help us but it'll be interesting what team is on the park. It's all about the panel these days and that's the way as we move forward into this new chsmpionship year.

Big game for our league campaign on Sunday V Clare. 2nd game of the league, aftwr losing first game is crucial. They've held the upper hand this past few years. Home advantage should help us but it'll be interesting what team is on the park. It's all about the panel these days and that's the way as we move forward into this new chsmpionship year.

It'll be interesting to see will he makes changes I'd expect he will.I'd like to see some changes defence..
    College tonight means we might not have the likes of leahy but tj should come back to strengthen things up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

I see five KK players including Rob Lennon, Michael Cody and James Maher on UCD team that won yesterday. James Maher scored 3 points

blackcard wrote: »
    I see five KK players including Rob Lennon, Michael Cody and James Maher on UCD team that won yesterday. James Maher scored 3 points

I.T cw v daveys LIT should be a good match

blackcard wrote: »

Interesting to see Michael Cody was full back for UCD last week I wonder will he be an option at full back in the next few years, although I know he was back at wing back yesterday. Is Luke Scanlon injured at the minute or has he finished in UCD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Team I'd like to see starting on Sunday:

E.Murphy
    C.Fogarty
    P.Walsh
    T.Walsh
    E.Morrissey
    J.Lyng
    C.Buckley (maybe won't start)
    P.Lyng
    R.Leahy (maybe won't start)
    M.Keoghan
    R.Reid
    J.Donnelly
    W.Walsh
    TJ
    C.Martin

Eoin Murphy is the best hurling shot stopper in Ireland. His only weakness is his puck outs. He needs to vary them more and keep them at a lower trajectory.

I think Conor Fogarty could be rejuvenated if moved to corner back. It would also add much needed steel and pace to the full back line.

I'd love to see Padraig Walsh at wing back but it's unlikely to happen until someone else shows Cody they are capable of manning the square.

Tommy Walsh needs to be given a chance to show what he can do. He can't be any worse than some of the performances we've had in that position in the past few years.

Enda Morrissey also needs to be given a chance to show what's he's capable of doing.

Joe Lyng has the potential to nail down the number 6 jersey. Hopefully he finally gets a clear run on the injury front.

Cillian Buckley is our best captain in a long time. Natural leader. Brilliant hurling brain. If only some of our other defenders could deliver the same quality ball to our forward line.

Pat Lyng is absolutely not a forward. I think he could be a good midfielder if given time in that position.

Richie Leahy could bring pace & skill to our midfield the likes of which we haven't seen in a long time.

Martin Keoghan for work rate alone deserves to start again. Typical Cody hurler.

Richie Reid needs as many games as possible to get up to speed with top level hurling. On his day as natural a scorer as we have.

John Donnelly has that bit more than a lot of Kilkenny players of similar size.

Walter Walsh hopefully finds his form of 2016 this year. I think he will.

TJ needs games. Clearly unfit and lacking match practice.

Conor Martin is probably reaching the last chance saloon at this stage. With a bit of luck he could be a good option for us at corner forward.

Even with the above team starting I'd still expect Clare to beat us, if we play the same style of hurling as we did against Cork. Hopefully we vary our puck outs more, deliver quicker, lower, diagonal ball to our forwards and run off the shoulder more often.

Should be a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Village87

SteJer wrote: »
    Team I'd like to see starting on Sunday:

E.Murphy
    C.Fogarty
    P.Walsh
    T.Walsh
    E.Morrissey
    J.Lyng
    C.Buckley (maybe won't start)
    P.Lyng
    R.Leahy (maybe won't start)
    M.Keoghan
    R.Reid
    J.Donnelly
    W.Walsh
    TJ
    C.Martin

Eoin Murphy is the best hurling shot stopper in Ireland. His only weakness is his puck outs. He needs to vary them more and keep them at a lower trajectory.

I think Conor Fogarty could be rejuvenated if moved to corner back. It would also add much needed steel and pace to the full back line.

I'd love to see Padraig Walsh at wing back but it's unlikely to happen until someone else shows Cody they are capable of manning the square.

Tommy Walsh needs to be given a chance to show what he can do. He can't be any worse than some of the performances we've had in that position in the past few years.

Enda Morrissey also needs to be given a chance to show what's he's capable of doing.

Joe Lyng has the potential to nail down the number 6 jersey. Hopefully he finally gets a clear run on the injury front.

Cillian Buckley is our best captain in a long time. Natural leader. Brilliant hurling brain. If only some of our other defenders could deliver the same quality ball to our forward line.

Pat Lyng is absolutely not a forward. I think he could be a good midfielder if given time in that position.

Richie Leahy could bring pace & skill to our midfield the likes of which we haven't seen in a long time.

Martin Keoghan for work rate alone deserves to start again. Typical Cody hurler.

Richie Reid needs as many games as possible to get up to speed with top level hurling. On his day as natural a scorer as we have.

John Donnelly has that bit more than a lot of Kilkenny players of similar size.

Walter Walsh hopefully finds his form of 2016 this year. I think he will.

TJ needs games. Clearly unfit and lacking match practice.

Conor Martin is probably reaching the last chance saloon at this stage. With a bit of luck he could be a good option for us at corner forward.

Even with the above team starting I'd still expect Clare to beat us, if we play the same style of hurling as we did against Cork. Hopefully we vary our puck outs more, deliver quicker, lower, diagonal ball to our forwards and run off the shoulder more often.

Should be a good game.

Some good points, agree with Enda Morrissey, looks the pick of the 3 from Bennetsbridge(Cleere & Lennon)

Cant have Conor Martin, surely another forward can step in there.

Agree with Conor Fogarty might bring stabillity to the backs, just not working for him midfield.

Conor O Shea has to go, if Kilkenny get to Croke park he would not cope with the pace

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Village87 wrote: »
    Some good points, agree with Enda Morrissey, looks the pick of the 3 from Bennetsbridge(Cleere & Lennon)

Cant have Conor Martin, surely another forward can step in there.

Agree with Conor Fogarty might bring stabillity to the backs, just not working for him midfield.

Conor O Shea has to go, if Kilkenny get to Croke park he would not cope with the pace

Agree 're Conor fogarty he would be a very good option corner back but we should try Delaney, Bergin and young Tommy out there. Ends Morrissey is good but I haven't seen enough of him to say he would be a better option than cleere. Absolutely worth the try if cleere is going to be out for a prolonged period.
    Don't know who is available for selection Sunday it we have to start creating and putting away goal opportunities. Do this and we will start putting teams on the back foot.
    We will see in an hours time.

Kilkenny v Clare
    E Murphy J Holden P Walsh P Deegan C Buckley (Capt) R Lennon J Lyng J Maher O Walsh J Donnelly R Reid R Leahy B Sheehan W Walsh A Murphy Subs D Brennan E Morrissey C Delaney C O Shea T Walsh R Bergin L Ryan P Lyng M Keoghan C Martin L Blanchfield.

No TJ???

Or Fogarty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Is buckley able to play? Thought if he’d some type of concussion he wouldn’t be allowed

What is the problem with Lester Ryan that he is not getting a game I say he has to be disappointed with what is in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

big_drive wrote: »
    Is buckley able to play? Thought if he’d some type of concussion he wouldn’t be allowed

Was he diagnosed with a concussion?

• Advertisement

big_drive wrote: »

I know when he was down last Saturday that he wanted to play on but Dr Crowley reckoned he had lost consciousness when Buckley was sure he didn't. They took him off as a precaution and when they went through the concussion protocol it was shown that he didn't have one. So he's free to play this weekend. I think he also picked up a cut on his jaw in the clash he'll be fine.

What is the problem with Lester Ryan that he is not getting a game I say he has to be disappointed with what is in front of him.

Even delaney you'd think with no college mid week he'd get a run this weekend.I thought he could of tried something with the corner backs but happy to see sheehan but his probablya few years of this level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Alan Murphy ?????

davidx40 wrote: »
    Alan Murphy ?????

What about Alan Murphy he's playing corner forward again and hopefully he'll be back on his game with the frees.

Delighted to see Bill Sheehan get a run heard he's doing very well in training and is deserving of a run. He's not big and probably won't ever be, but with the right ball into him he'll win plenty and turn he's man. With he's speed they'll either have to pull him down or he'll be through on goal. It's a huge step up for him but he came into the Boro team last year in his first year and was one of the most influential forwards we had. The absolute very least he'll give you is loads of work and hassling and wins a lot of ball off defenders trying to clear it. Hope he and the rest of the lads have a good game as we'll need it to beat Clare.

I'm also disappointed that none of Conor Delaney, Tommy Walsh, Tom Aylward, Evan Cody or Enda Morrissey were seen as alternatives to Holden or Deegan. Perhaps he just wants to keep a line unchanged. I hope we will see all of the above get a run in the league to let them test their metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Happy to see Leahy, Sheehan, Donnelly, Maher all starting, but would have been better to see Bergin & Delaney in the full back line too. Is Tom Alyward still injured? Would have liked to see Keoghan and Morrissey start too but hopefully they'll come on at least. Is Conor Doheny on the panel?

We should be throwing in all the young lads with potential, I don't think we're learning anything by playing Joey Holden & Ollie Walsh.

v3ttel wrote: »
    Happy to see Leahy, Sheehan, Donnelly, Maher all starting, but would have been better to see Bergin & Delaney in the full back line too. Is Tom Alyward still injured? Would have liked to see Keoghan and Morrissey start too but hopefully they'll come on at least. Is Conor Doheny on the panel?

We should be throwing in all the young lads with potential, I don't think we're learning anything by playing Joey Holden & Ollie Walsh.
    Conor Doheny was called in after the U21'S club championship but he was injured in the Village match right at the final whistle and unfortunately up until Christmas he wasn't training. Not sure about since. When he lost that amount of training it's unlikely we'll see him for the seniors.

• Advertisement

It's good to see 3 21s starting in attack but as said above I would of liked to have seen a fresh face or two in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Conor Doheny is part of the panel at the moment.

citykat wrote: »
    Conor Doheny is part of the panel at the moment.

He is, but like I said he missed a load of work earlier so unfortunately it's unlikely we'll get to see him for the seniors this year.

Massive match tomorrow, a lot of talk in the public and press about Kilkennys poor form lately and should Cody go. A loss will build momentum for this and Tipperary and Waterford to play the following 2 weeks, the confidence and bad press and public opinion of the team and Cody could gather more momentum.
    A win tomorrow and next few weeks could see Kilkenny build for championship without the pressure of relegation and people calling for Brian Codys head, and remove the negativity surrounding the set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Kilkenny Vs Waterford Senior Camogie - League Rd 3.
    Sunday 4th Feb in Conahy Shamrocks GAA grounds Jenkinstown. Throw in @ 1.30

It will be a great game.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

Massive match tomorrow, a lot of talk in the public and press about Kilkennys poor form lately and should Cody go. A loss will build momentum for this and Tipperary and Waterford to play the following 2 weeks, the confidence and bad press and public opinion of the team and Cody could gather more momentum.
    A win tomorrow and next few weeks could see Kilkenny build for championship without the pressure of relegation and people calling for Brian Codys head, and remove the negativity surrounding the set up

It's obvious with the team selection especially up front his going for youth which is no harm at all.If we can have a competive league while trying to get donnelly and leahy up to speed we could be in a decent position going into the summer with tj,ritchie etc to come back.
    This is what the league should be used for.
    The only thing is I would of liked to have have seen delaney,walsh or bergin giving a run in defence.
    Still no sign of tom alyward or a few of his clubmates which is kind of surprising.

It's obvious with the team selection especially up front his going for youth which is no harm at all.If we can have a competive league while trying to get donnelly and leahy up to speed we could be in a decent position going into the summer with tj,ritchie etc to come back.
    The only thing is I would of liked to have have seen delaney,walsh or bergin giving a run in defence.
    Still no sign of tom alyward or a few of his clubmates which is kind of surprising.

You say its obvious with team selection that he has to go for youth!!
    Who else can he pick, the only other 2 guaranteed starters(not availabvle at present) for the Dublin match are Richie & TJ, hopefully Richie is back fit. Not many others are putting there hands up to start at present
    Kilkenny have 3/4 excellent hurlers, the remaining are showing to be mediocre so far. he has no choice but to pick youth and hopefully one or two more come to prominence,no point in picking your Conor O'Shea's and Conor Martin who are clearly not up to it and never will be

You say its obvious with team selection that he has to go for youth!!
    Who else can he pick, the only other 2 guaranteed starters(not availabvle at present) for the Dublin match are Richie & TJ, hopefully Richie is back fit. Not many others are putting there hands up to start at present
    Kilkenny have 3/4 excellent hurlers, the remaining are showing to be mediocre so far. he has no choice but to pick youth and hopefully one or two more come to prominence,no point in picking your Conor O'Shea's and Conor Martin who are clearly not up to it and never will be
    I thought maybe bolger or john walsh would be seeing gametime.The talk is aylward should be back soon, it's a pity jason cleere,scanlon or tom alyward are injured.Kevin kelly should return next month.
    I wouldn't be as concerned about the forwards it's a few defenders we should be trying to pick up during the league.

What's the story with T.J. and Conor F?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BORO BILL

What's the story with T.J. and Conor F?

Tj has a calf injury they can be slow to heal. Conor trained this week so his omission is strange

Fogarty has a virus cody was saying and how lennon has being going well lately.I wouldn't be convinced lennon is the answer at 6.I'm happy enough with the forwards tomorrow hopefully sheehan goes well,little terrier with great pace I'd be hoping he might fill out and make it in a year or 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

anyone have taughts on tomorrow , our management this year are afraid of there lives of another relegation playoff so have picked our championship team to line out in nolan

i wouldnt expect to see miracles from the likes of podge collins or tony kelly as both are playing well bellow par , management wont drop them no matter how bad they play , while cathal malone and peter duggan have been excellent of late and sacrificed first ......its only now i would love to see someone like cody have a reign over clare , there aint a hope he would stand for 4 championship game wins in 4 years

any chance ye would swap.....ye can have have davy fitz if ye like , ye can even put him in marking bubles as a player manager or something :pac: :D

clare hurling got a kick up the backside the other day in the star by loughnane , normally i dont agree with him but he is right we are a complete flash in the pan since 2013

anyone have taughts on tomorrow , our management this year are afraid of there lives of another relegation playoff so have picked our championship team to line out in nolan

i wouldnt expect to see miracles from the likes of podge collins or tony kelly as both are playing well bellow par , management wont drop them no matter how bad they play , while cathal malone and peter duggan have been excellent of late and sacrificed first ......its only now i would love to see someone like cody have a reign over clare , there aint a hope he would stand for 4 championship game wins in 4 years

any chance ye would swap.....ye can have have davy fitz if ye like , ye can even put him in marking bubles as a player manager or something :pac: :D

clare hurling got a kick up the backside the other day in the star by loughnane , normally i dont agree with him but he is right we are a complete flash in the pan since 2013

Do you think the problem with Kelly has been that he has played too much hurling since 2013 between, senior, U-21, getting to the club final last year and hurling with UL, maybe a bit of a break is what he needs to regain his form, on his day there isn’t a better player than him!!

Also I wouldn’t mind what Loughnane says, half the time he’s only looking for a reaction!! Clare weren’t a flash in the panin 2013 the talent was there for them to be very strong for years to come, the problem Ye had was that yd had the wrong man over ye!!

Fought hard again today but clare were probably ten points the better team the score board flattered us in the end.wally tried hard but missing ball winners with him.leahy finished the game well and mossy tried very hard also got an unbelievable score but mf and hb struggled badly today

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Fought hard again today but clare were probably ten points the better team the score board flattered us in the end.wally tried hard but missing ball winners with him.leahy finished the game well and mossy tried very hard also got an unbelievable score but mf and hb struggled badly today

I couldn't get to it today but the radio was saying the full back line was poor, was it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement