Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Just saw this scoreline. Feel very, very sorry for the young Kilkenny lads. The kind of thing that would put a kid off playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mattser

Looking at that here in Meath. Absolutely disgusted. Shame on the GAA to allow this to happen to a group of young lads. No doubt they'll have some obscure twisted logic to support it.
    Sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭cms88

Surely the Kilkenny county board should be held responsible for this? Much the same as the Wicklow county board after last week.

I assume they are getting funding from Croke Park for football? If so what exactly are they spending it on? No one is expecting them to be winning Leinster championships or anything like that, but my god.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Leinster MFC: Wexford 17-20 Kilkenny 0-00

That really is a disgraceful scoreline.

It is abit much alright! I feel sorry for the young lads that were made play this, and the fact is we are still not gone! We have to play the winners of carlow and laois in the back door. My tuppence worth is we should give a walkover, and just forget about football altogether, at county level anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭cats pyjamas

Attacking the KK county board for not supporting football is not entirely correct.
    They do support it but cant force people to play. The truth is that the best footballers are also the best hurlers.

Given the choice, I know which game I'd prefer to play - despite being a better footballer than hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Attacking the KK county board for not supporting football is not entirely correct.
    They do support it but cant force people to play. The truth is that the best footballers are also the best hurlers.

Given the choice, I know which game I'd prefer to play - despite being a better footballer than hurler.

Its not just hurling that gets greater priority, I remember going to a minor football training once in O Loughins. By the time the session was about to begin it looked like I was the only player to show up. About 5 minutes later a load of lads from Comer and Railyard turned up. The management were obviously delighted as they would have played by far the most football with their school and clubs. It turned out that they were there to play a basketball match and not one of then was there to train with the panel they were members of. Got a pretty big beating of Westmeath that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stokseys Da

mattser wrote: »
    Looking at that here in Meath. Absolutely disgusted. Shame on the GAA to allow this to happen to a group of young lads. No doubt they'll have some obscure twisted logic to support it.
    Sickening.

I really don't see how it is anyone but the Kilkenny County Board's fault for a disgraceful neglect of our national game and concentrating all their resources on hurling.

I do feel sorry for the young lads of that minor team today who clearly were not prepared properly but hopefully today will shame the Kilkenny County Board into a more equitable allocation of resources and putting a proper infrastructure in place. And don't tell me it can't be done.... look at Kerry hurlers excellent improvements last few years.

I say keep making Kilkenny line out teams in these competitions, including senior championship, until ye are shamed into action and improvement. It certainly takes the gloss off the fine recent hurling achievements by ye unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

Don't know where this faux sympathy for the players is coming from. They clearly don't give a monkeys. Just not on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Clare's team has been named;

1. Patrick Kelly
    2. Oisin O'Brien
    3. Cian Dillon
    4. Paul Flanagan
    5. Conor Cleary
    6. Pat O'Connor
    7. David Fitzgerald
    8. Brendan Bulger
    9. Colm Galvin
    10. John Conlon
    11. Conor Mc Grath
    12. David Reidy
    13. PodgeCollins
    14. Darach Honan
    15. Aaron Cunningham

Will it start like this..that's the question?

• Advertisement

Don't know where this faux sympathy for the players is coming from. They clearly don't give a monkeys. Just not on.

Why so? They went into the game expecting to be beaten (by a much better team) and still showed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

No offense Cats but you are either stupid or naive. kk football pantomime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

cms88 wrote: »
    Surely the Kilkenny county board should be held responsible for this? Much the same as the Wicklow county board after last week.

I assume they are getting funding from Croke Park for football? If so what exactly are they spending it on? No one is expecting them to be winning Leinster championships or anything like that, but my god.
    I'd expect they are spending it on hurling. It's not like Wexford are an elite football County or anything.

Fine them, or withold all central funding until they put some effort into football. All other counties attempt to bring both codes along somewhat, usually there is a small pocket of hurling in a predominantly football County and they make some effort.

Thanks for that but I am neither stupid or naive.

I have some experience of football in kk. There are some very good people involved and who stay involved despite days like today.

However I still go back to my original argument - you cannot force people to play the game. Hurling is popular in kk and that is the game people want to play.

I'd expect they are spending it on hurling. It's not like Wexford are an elite football County or anything.

Fine them, or withold all central funding until they put some effort into football. All other counties attempt to bring both codes along somewhat, usually there is a small pocket of hurling in a predominantly football County and they make some effort.

Any outrage for Cavans lack of a senior intercounty hurling team?

Thanks for that but I am neither stupid or naive.

I have some experience of football in kk. There are some very good people involved and who stay involved despite days like today.

However I still go back to my original argument - you cannot force people to play the game. Hurling is popular in kk and that is the game people want to play.

One point i don't get is could Wexford not have eased up and put on all their subs?

I know it doesn't look good but at a club match, if a team was beating a team by 20pts, they'd empty the bench and manager would tell lads to ease up.

• Advertisement

Any outrage for Cavans lack of a senior intercounty hurling team?

Or Fermanagh having only one hurling club and a senior county player stating there'll not be a Fermanagh senior hurling team in a few years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭letowski

Clare's team has been named;

1. Patrick Kelly 2. Oisin O'Brien 3. Cian Dillon 4. Paul Flanagan 5. Conor Cleary 6. Pat O'Connor 7. David Fitzgerald 8. Brendan Bulger 9. Colm Galvin 10. John Conlon 11. Conor Mc Grath 12. David Reidy 13. PodgeCollins 14. Darach Honan 15. Aaron Cunningham

Will it start like this..that's the question?

I reckon Cody is going to lose alot of sleep tonight trying to answer that question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Is there the possibility that the Kilkenny players weren't taking the fixture entirely seriously themselves? I've heard of that type of thing happening in the club championship there and the point-a-minute score line seems to me to be difficult to physically achieve within the timeframe of a game. Basically Wexford would have had to convert every Kilkenny kick out to a score within 90 seconds or so, pretty much preventing them ever leaving their own half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

So what pocket of Kilkenny are you suggesting should be forced to switch to football? And can I be there when you arrive down to tell them the news that they are the new football pocket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Or Fermanagh having only one hurling club and a senior county player stating there'll not be a Fermanagh senior hurling team in a few years!!

Fermanagh is not winning Sam after Sam though. If Kilkenny weren't as successful in Hurling I don't think people would be as up in arms about it; calling for fines and whatnot.

I, for one, would love us to be at least semi competitive in football. But there's very little desire for football in the county; and as another poster said no matter how much money you pump into it ultimately you can't force people to play something they don't want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

How does that work does anyone know? Do they play in a neighbouring county league?

Would it be worth putting a south kk football team in the tipp/Waterford league and a north team in Carlow or another? Probably wouldn't be the interest to get 2 teams training regularly but they need to try something different and try build from the bottom

I really don't see how it is anyone but the Kilkenny County Board's fault for a disgraceful neglect of our national game and concentrating all their resources on hurling.

I do feel sorry for the young lads of that minor team today who clearly were not prepared properly but hopefully today will shame the Kilkenny County Board into a more equitable allocation of resources and putting a proper infrastructure in place. And don't tell me it can't be done.... look at Kerry hurlers excellent improvements last few years.

I say keep making Kilkenny line out teams in these competitions, including senior championship, until ye are shamed into action and improvement. It certainly takes the gloss off the fine recent hurling achievements by ye unfortunately.

Its simple if Kilkenny are to keep getting funding for football then it should be based on results. Because it looks to me that they are entering teams into minor and under 21 championships so they can get the funding that goes along with it. For the years minor teams from Kilkenny have taken beatings like this and then pulled out after the first game, they can then go and say they fielded a team and be entitled to funding.

For example how much of the funding they get was spent on this team today? It seems like they just put the team together today!

As for comments re Cavan since they pulled out their senior hurling team they have been putting in work at underage level with a view to again fielding at senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

An absolute disgrace. Shame on the county board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Kilkenny more than entitled to not care about football. If there's little or no appetite for the sport in the County then so be it.

God knows there's enough county's don't give a hoot about hurling. When we start fining all of those Counties then we can fine Kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭randd1

Kilkenny more than entitled to not care about football. If there's little or no appetite for the sport in the County then so be it.

God knows there's enough county's don't give a hoot about hurling. When we start fining all of those Counties then we can fine Kilkenny.

Now now, that would be called apply things evenly across the board, can't have that now.

As for the funding thing in general can anyone supply a figure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

The last time I looked it was called the Gaelic Athletic Association, not the Football or Hurling one. Both codes should be supported and encouraged, KK have been brainwashed into thinking that only one code operates, my opinion is it wrong, the lads that went it today and suffered that defeat did not deserve that. Q: was it lack of preparation, skill level or support from the CB???

How does that work does anyone know? Do they play in a neighbouring county league?

Would it be worth putting a south kk football team in the tipp/Waterford league and a north team in Carlow or another? Probably wouldn't be the interest to get 2 teams training regularly but they need to try something different and try build from the bottom

I think they play in an Ulster Lea gue against teams from Armagh, Tyrone and Donegal etc. The point he was getting at is there is a lot of travel involved and it's tough.

Obviously if you only have 1 senior team, it will not go on.

In Cavan, there's 3 or 4 teams but i think they're currently developing 'regional' or cluster teams i.e. 1 hurling club being formed between 4 or 5 clubs. More like a regional team. Building from the bottom up with the intention of having a Cavan senior team in the Nat. Lge in a few years.

Although some article was saying earlier in the year that theCavan Co. Board were stalling giving a date to enter a senior team into the NHL.

Tyrone are also going to form 2 regional clubs at underage level to build up the no. of clubs in Tyrone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

One point i don't get is could Wexford not have eased up and put on all their subs?

I know it doesn't look good but at a club match, if a team was beating a team by 20pts, they'd empty the bench and manager would tell lads to ease up.

They did. Problem was that the subs coming on wanted to make an impact and show up well. Plus a lot of the scores were literally handed to them on a plate.

Deflection as to what other counties do with hurling is just that. Football is easy to play and fund. Kilkenny get money by fielding these teams. They clearly do not invest it in fielding these teams.

bruschi wrote: »
    They did. Problem was that the subs coming on wanted to make an impact and show up well. Plus a lot of the scores were literally handed to them on a plate.

Deflection as to what other counties do with hurling is just that. Football is easy to play and fund. Kilkenny get money by fielding these teams. They clearly do not invest it in fielding these teams.

I'm not excusing what the score was but surely Wexford should have eased up.

I wonder what the amount of money they receive is anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Doesn't take the gloss off any achievement for me or it doesn't take any gloss liam mac sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I wonder what the amount of money they receive is anyway?

The breakdown of the funding would be interesting to know for sure.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    The last time I looked it was called the Gaelic Athletic Association, not the Football or Hurling one. Both codes should be supported and encouraged, KK have been brainwashed into thinking that only one code operates, my opinion is it wrong, the lads that went it today and suffered that defeat did not deserve that. Q: was it lack of preparation, skill level or support from the CB???
    You do realise you could replace KK with the initials from 16 counties and still have a valid argument.

Yet Kilkenny always seem to get the stick. Then again they're the only county that doesn't do football, at least the football counties have safety in numbers.

And again, does anyone actually have the football funding figures for Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

I really don't see what the problem is here. We got beaten by a better team. All these ppl coming on here giving out about our county board which happens to be the most successful county board in the country.

If I really wanted to go on about other counties contribution to hurling I'd be here all night and speaking very negatively. Cork,Dublin,Galway and tipp past few yrs are the only counties can say they compete at the top in both codes.
    Which they just happen to havensure much larger populations than kilkenny.

I suggest kilkenny minors play louth,Cavan etc and see how great these other gaa counties are doing in hurling :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

randd1 wrote: »

Don't be silly, that would get in the way of the not at all jealousy-fuelled ranting.

Don't be silly, that would get in the way of the not at all jealousy-fuelled ranting.

Jealous of what exactly?

Jealous of what exactly?

Of success. If this was the Louth GAA thread and they had that result, how many people would be on looking for funding to be cut.

Of success. If this was the Louth GAA thread and they had that result, how many people would be on looking for funding to be cut.

Actually, they'd be complaining about how little funding they get, and how they need more.

Classic deflection.

If the Cork/Antrim/Tipp/whoever footballers were after getting bet out in a match the gate you wouldn't hear them going on smugly about their hurlers success after the game as an excuse/justification for what happened.

The Kilkenny County Board are a disgrace and the smug responses of some Kilkenny "GAA" people aren't showing them up in a good light.

HQ needs to force them to invest in the game in my opinion or else start sanctioning their hurling teams - maybe taking home hurling league/championship games away from Nowlan Park might be a start to get their minds focused.

Actually, they'd be complaining about how little funding they get, and how they need more.

Truth spoken there. The fact it isn't even being raised as a serious request them is very worrying. A full investigation should be carried out by HQ to determine if existing football funds are being diverted to hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭blackcard

What about the effort some counties are putting into rounders? Shouldn't there be outrage over this?

When's the last time Louth were beaten by 70 plus points? In fact whens the last time any team was in either code? Plus over the years Killkenny have regularly be beaten by anything up to and including 30 points at minor and U21.

You do realise you could replace KK with the initials from 16 counties and still have a valid argument.

Yet Kilkenny always seem to get the stick. Then again they're the only county that doesn't do football, at least the football counties have safety in numbers.

Like I said already they get stick for being beaten by 70 plus points. Teams getting hammered happens no one is denying that, however this is a regular thing every year by Kilkenny. In fact it's not even the first time they've played a game where they haven't scored!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭blackcard

The fact of the matter is that there is very little interest in football in Kilkenny. I have never ever heard anyone discuss a club football match at work. There is a decent participation at up to u14 level but after that interest dies down. A lot of this is down to the success of hurling, lack of parent interest, lack of people wanting to coach, the perception that football does
    not compare as a spectacle to hurling (though this is beginning to change as hurling is becoming more defensive. It is a bit nonsensical to say that because you play hurling, you should play football. Hurling has more in common with cricket or hockey. Soccer would be far more popular than footbalI in Kilkenny but is played off season. With player burnout, it makes sense to chose between hurling and football and Kilkenny has chosen hurling. In West Cork, there may not be a hurling club within sixty miles. There are numerous counties who haven't won a provincial title in either code for over two decades. At least, Kilkenny promotes one code very well

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kenajonn

I cannot understand your argument. What are you saying Kilkenny people should like football, should be made to play football? It is time to except that the most people in Kilkenny prefer Hurling. Please stop trying to dictate what we should do. Ireland is a democracy, you stick to your sport and we will stick to ours

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

bruschi wrote: »

Football isn't easy to play. The skills are easier to learn but it's more difficult to execute in match situations. If lads are hurling almost exclusively for most of the year they will be destroyed in football matches, as yesterday showed. I live in east cork and see the exact same situation wrt football. We do about 3 weeks football training and people wonder why we get mowed by the proper football clubs

• Advertisement

This also raises another question. Why reward Kilkenny city/town with a bumper payday,high profile Leinster football championship game with the Dubs involved, when yesterday shows how they treat football? Why should their local economy benefit?

As for funding i've seen figures between 200,000 and 350,000 over the last two years. More than the likes of Sligo, Fermanagh etc are getting for hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭PáircLife

There is just no interest in football. It doesn't compare to hurling as a spectacle. You can't force football on kids who have zero interest in it! And why would they have interest? You'd fall asleep watching it!
    What is worrying is what if there was a gifted young footballer in kk? What does he do? He has zero chance of making it or excelling ???
    And maybe we don't deserve the Dublin match to be held in Nowlan Park, especially after that result yesterday but you can force football on this county and you never will!

So what exactly is the cut off for funding? 35 points? All this highlights is they shouldn't field inter county football teams.

But I have seen threads on here lambasting them for not. If they run a Junior football championship in my opinion that is sufficient. In this utopian world where hurling is promoted equally across the Country we can address Kilkennys apathy to football. But in the real world, I think we need to prioritize promoting hurling which has far less competitivness and participation than football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

What annoys me is that when people (especially anyone from Cork or Tipp) criticise Kilkenny for this result they will get a reply "Oh ye are just jealous of our success in hurling". It's total BS.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I don't claim to have much/any knowledge of Kilkenny GAA, so please feel free to disregard my opinion.
    But my own club played at home to Railyard in the Leinster IFC last year and at it I got talking to the chairman of the Kilkenny football board (definition of a thankless job). He said that there is simply no public appetite for an intercounty football team. There are some pretty decent young footballers coming through but once they hit their mid teens, it's hurling or nothing. That will take more than funding to change.

Yes, I'm sure that football isn't exactly treated the best by the higher ups in Kilkenny (just like hurling is treated like crap in about two-thirds of the counties in Ireland) but even if they put more effort and money in, you can't force people to participate. I think when Kilkenny were on the back of a similar hiding a few years ago, the manager came out and said they barely scraped 15 players together as the match clashed with schools or college hurling training (or something similar). That's what you're up against. Young lads would rather train for their school/college hurling team than represent their county in football. I would really like to see people's suggestions of how to get past that besides forcing players at gunpoint to play in matches.

By the way, Meath, a mediocre/poor hurling county who recently had a high profile past footballer state he would burn all hurls in the county (and that sentiment is shared by a lot of Meath people), beat Wicklow last weekend in the Leinster MHC by 10-22 to 7 points. Didn't see the same outcry after that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement