Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

I wouldn't have an issue with the ref awarding frees if we were getting the same ones at the other end to be honest.

It`s a big issue for clare. we owned the ball against cork in the munster league yet got two frees in the cork half while cork were awarded about ten scoreable frees in our half

a similar pattern pertained against tipp and again Sunday we were heavily penalized leaving aside county bias etc its hard to believe that the clare backs would be four times more likely to hold the kilkenny forwards who are in general not overly quick than players marking lads like o donnell reidy podge and tony Kelly with the ability they have to turn and go

This kind of nonsense really annoys me and I'm a Tipp man before you say anything. Where in the rule book does it state that team's should be awarded close to equal the amount of frees?? You have pointed out 3 examples where you believe Clare were wronged this year already. Was it the same ref each time? No.. was it the same opposition? No.. In these 3 matches was there anything connected? Yes, Clare were awarded less frees each time, so "county bias aside" as you said yourself, it's obvious Clare are the problem. Your backs foul far too much (Jack browne) being a prime example and maybe your attacking players just aren't able to play for frees as well as other county's (it happens as much as we don't want to admit it). Shane o'donnell is one exception though who gets his fair share, his pace, ducking into tackles and throwing the arms in the air work well together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

This kind of nonsense really annoys me and I'm a Tipp man before you say anything. Where in the rule book does it state that team's should be awarded close to equal the amount of frees?? You have pointed out 3 examples where you believe Clare were wronged this year already. Was it the same ref each time? No.. was it the same opposition? No.. In these 3 matches was there anything connected? Yes, Clare were awarded less frees each time, so "county bias aside" as you said yourself, it's obvious Clare are the problem. Your backs foul far too much (Jack browne) being a prime example and maybe your attacking players just aren't able to play for frees as well as other county's (it happens as much as we don't want to admit it). Shane o'donnell is one exception though who gets his fair share, his pace, ducking into tackles and throwing the arms in the air work well together.

No bias for or against Clare, but I've noticed that a lot about O'Donnell too. The majority of the times he goes down, his hands are thrown out in front of him to emphasize the fall so he lands flat with arms outstretched. I find that really annoying as it's so unnatural. It's almost like he's trying to say "look at what he did ref". I hope the refs cop onto it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Nedflanders02

v3ttel wrote: »
    I thought that the second half was really positive. We saw real drive, effort and determination when the game was on the line. It was definitely something to build on.

Keoghan & Leahy really did well in the second half. Sheehan has a lot of talent and worked hard. Massive to see 3 lads put their hands up like that and really play well. I thought Conor O'Shea did very well when he came on - surprised to see people writing him off, he's a very capable hurler.

I think we have a huge group of lads that are talented but are all near the same level and need to step up to grab the opportunity. There were a lot of lads yesterday not even named on the panel who could potentially be starters (beyond the obvious).

The full back line needs serious surgery though. I hope Bergin, Doheny, Alyward are all given a chance. I like Jason Cleere too, he could definitely come into contention when he recovers.

The answer is not Joey Holden & Paddy Deegan as corner backs, and hopefully that's starting to look obvious. Padraig Walsh is a fantastic hurler, but you lose too much having him back there.

I think the problem with O’Shea isn’t a lack of hurling it’s that he is very slow and once turned he’s in a lot of trouble. You’re right though when he came in yesterday it improved things a lot and in fairness to him he doesn’t lack for effort and fight.

I’d disagree with you over Joey however, I think at the minute he’s our best option at corner back, against both Wexford and Clare he’s hurled very well albeit he had a tough night against Cork but on the whole I think he’s been one of our better players this year. As you say it’s a pitty the likes of Tom Alwyard, Bergin or Delaney haven’t gotten a run hopefully in the next few games some of them might get some game time.

I think the problem with O’Shea isn’t a lack of hurling it’s that he is very slow and once turned he’s in a lot of trouble. You’re right though when he came in yesterday it improved things a lot and in fairness to him he doesn’t lack for effort and fight.

I’d disagree with you over Joey however, I think at the minute he’s our best option at corner back, against both Wexford and Clare he’s hurled very well albeit he had a tough night against Cork but on the whole I think he’s been one of our better players this year. As you say it’s a pitty the likes of Tom Alwyard, Bergin or Delaney haven’t gotten a run hopefully in the next few games some of them might get some game time.

On the concerns with O'Shea, you could have said that about a lot of players. Jackie never had pace but yet was an important part of many All-Ireland wins for us. I think he deserve's a chance and could yet be good enough.

On Joey, I thought our full back line was in all sorts of trouble in both league games so far. Granted, in the second half of both games, they improved. I still think we need a better option come championship. I think the 3 lads you mention should be given a run and are younger, plus potentially better. You know what you are getting with Joey at this stage. He's unlikely to improve and I could see him being targeted in the championship. I don't know if he could hold a Bubbles, or a Conor Whelan, etc. Joey has been better than Paddy Deegan so far (but he's still young)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

We always used our half back line as spring board but we're chopping and changing trying to get the balance right at the moment.walsh and buckley are the two best half backs we have and the full back line hasn't changed in the last 3 matches he seems set on that line.
    Does anyone know what size the panel is at the moment or was it cut after the walsh cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Village87

v3ttel wrote: »
    On the concerns with O'Shea, you could have said that about a lot of players. Jackie never had pace but yet was an important part of many All-Ireland wins for us. I think he deserve's a chance and could yet be good enough.

On Joey, I thought our full back line was in all sorts of trouble in both league games so far. Granted, in the second half of both games, they improved. I still think we need a better option come championship. I think the 3 lads you mention should be given a run and are younger, plus potentially better. You know what you are getting with Joey at this stage. He's unlikely to improve and I could see him being targeted in the championship. I don't know if he could hold a Bubbles, or a Conor Whelan, etc. Joey has been better than Paddy Deegan so far (but he's still young)

I was in Cork last week and in the Park Sunday and for the Walsh Cup, Cork should have scored 3-27-28 easily Clare scored 2-18 and drove roughly 20 wides. Wexford had half a team out and hit loads of wides near the end of normal time and extra time and still scored 1-24 in freezing conditions on a wet pitch in Januray,playing with a sweeper . Kilkenny CANNOT have a back line with Deegan, Holden & O,Shea,they would get ripped apart in the summer on drying ground. Shane Kingston who is probably not renown for his speed ran at O'Shea during the second half of the Cork match, around the 40 and had nearly 15 yards on him by the time he reached the 14, i think Buckley or Walsh got to him. Kilkenny might get away with one of them

brookville wrote: »
    We always used our half back line as spring board but we're chopping and changing trying to get the balance right at the moment.walsh and buckley are the two best half backs we have and the full back line hasn't changed in the last 3 matches he seems set on that line.
    Does anyone know what size the panel is at the moment or was it cut after the walsh cup?

Still carrying 55-60 lads since the last week in October. Kilkenny have as much work done as any county at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

It's all about the panel this year lads - game after game come the summer time. Injuries and fatigue will take its toll.

I wonder are teams allowed, by the GAA, a bigger panel this year to compensate for the amount of games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭mrbango

What are predictions for 2018 club championships? Here is mine;

Senior winners; carrickshock
    Relegated; Danesfort

Intermediate winners; St.Martins
    Relegated; Callan

Junior winners; Conahy Shamrocks

mrbango wrote: »

Relegated; Danesfort

Relegated; Callan

County Board have not even fixed club fixtures yet, when is the first round scheduled to take place ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Village87 wrote:
    County Board have not even fixed club fixtures yet, when is the first round scheduled to take place ?
    Dates not set but 1st round in league is 2nd weekend in April break for a week then 2 more rounds over next 2 weekends. That 3rd round wasn't set yet could potentially be mid august or the week before the 4th round which is mid sept. So a huge break from April until the next round

Dates not set but 1st round in league is 2nd weekend in April break for a week then 2 more rounds over next 2 weekends. That 3rd round wasn't set yet could potentially be mid august or the week before the 4th round which is mid sept. So a huge break from April until the next round

Ok thank you Jeff, so first round is April 7th/8th?

you say "break for a week then 2 more rounds over next 2 weekends" is that round 2 and 3 or round 2 played over the 2 weekends 21st/22nd and 28th/29th?

As far as I know the 1st round is 7th/8th then a week off. 2nd round is 21st/22nd. 3rd round could be week after on 28/29th but could also be in august or September. Prob depends on kk fixtures

So week 3 is not set in stone yet

Village87 wrote:

First round is 1st/2nd of April and second round 14th/15th. The remaining rounds are pending how Kilkenny go. Possibility of no games from April to September for club hurlers which seems mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Sure who wants to play hurling in the summer when you can play it in the cold and wet in Autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

Relegated; Danesfort

Relegated; Callan

Bit random with carrickshock, they were well beaten last year in replay by village, have they got some new players in or is the new trainer having a big impact, is Richie Power available this year they fell apart when he went off injured in the village game??
    Mullinavat wouldn't be a bad bet could have beaten dicksboro last year they have some nice hurlers & a good trainer there, lot could depend on John Walsh for them heard he announced to the dressing room after the boro defeat last year that he was giving up hurling to play soccer, but he's involved with Kilkenny so he must not have followed through on that

robwen wrote:
    Bit random with carrickshock, they were well beaten last year in replay by village, have they got some new players in or is the new trainer having a big impact, is Richie Power available this year they fell apart when he went off injured in the village game?? Mullinavat wouldn't be a bad bet could have beaten dicksboro last year they have some nice hurlers & a good trainer there, lot could depend on John Walsh for them heard he announced to the dressing room after the boro defeat last year that he was giving up hurling to play soccer, but he's involved with Kilkenny so he must not have followed through on that

Ok. They lost to the village by 3 points in what I think was the best game of the championship. They actually bet Vegas in the group stage so how is it any more random than your pick? I expect john power to dominate the club scene this year. Add to that a back bone of Dalton Martins tennyson and rice and Kevin Farrell they will take beating. Manager is not that important , sure didn't balyhale win loads with a cowboy at the helm. Talent on the pitch will be the difference.

P.s I havent seen much of john walsh or mullinavat but from what I've seen he is way over rated on boards. Pacy and good finished but not good enough for intercounty.

robwen wrote:
    Bit random with carrickshock, they were well beaten last year in replay by village, have they got some new players in or is the new trainer having a big impact, is Richie Power available this year they fell apart when he went off injured in the village game?? Mullinavat wouldn't be a bad bet could have beaten dicksboro last year they have some nice hurlers & a good trainer there, lot could depend on John Walsh for them heard he announced to the dressing room after the boro defeat last year that he was giving up hurling to play soccer, but he's involved with Kilkenny so he must not have followed through on that

Ok. They lost to the village by 3 points in what I think was the best game of the championship. They actually bet Vegas in the group stage so how is it any more random than your pick? I expect john power to dominate the club scene this year. Add to that a back bone of Dalton Martins tennyson and rice and Kevin Farrell they will take beating. Manager is not that important , sure didn't balyhale win loads with a cowboy at the helm. Talent on the pitch will be the difference.

P.s I havent seen much of john walsh or mullinavat but from what I've seen he is way over rated on boards. Pacy and good finished but not good enough for intercounty.

Carrickshock are bet, could get relegated this year, they had there chance last year. Team will decline now that 10+ lads p;laying are in their 30s

• Advertisement

Village87 wrote:
    Carrickshock are bet, could get relegated this year, they had there chance last year. Team will decline now that 10+ lads p;laying are in their 30s

So who will win it?

Boro will win it again. Or they should at least.

If Shocks win it's a sad indictment of Kilkenny hurling.

So who will win it?

City clubs should dominate and if the Shamrocks put in this year, some of the attitude from the Kilkenny players with Ballyhale and the Mullens last year was tragic from a club like the Shamrocks

Village87 wrote:
    City clubs should dominate and if the Shamrocks put in this year, some of the attitude from the Kilkenny players with Ballyhale and the Mullens last year was tragic from a club like the Shamrocks

Boro won't repeat it again. Village to reliant on larks up front. Louglins to reliant on gorta. Don't see any of the city teams winning it. Outside shock I'd pick the rower or Clara. Don't see anyone else doing the business.

I wasn't saying mullinavat will win it but I think there a good outside bet, my reference to Walsh is about club hurling where he is mvat main scoring forward & has racked up big scores for them, senior grade has really levelled off last few years so few clubs will believe with a bit of luck & few things falling there way they'll be in with a chance.
    Talking to shocks lads they thought last year was a big chance to win a senior off the back of the momentum the intermediate all Ireland win gave them & since there hasn't been a lot of enthusiasm for the hurling among lads so I wondered if getting a new trainer in had given them a lift. I think your being very optimistic on John Power, but I'd love if u were right, would be great to see tenno, richie, rice, Dalton finally win a senior but looks unlikely to me given age & injuries.

P.S. which ballyhale trainer are u referring to there's been a few who have all won things?

Village87 wrote: »

The Shefflins have there work cut out sorting things out alright but still a lot of talent in ballyhale they'll be there or thereabouts

• Advertisement

Village87 wrote: »
    I was in Cork last week and in the Park Sunday and for the Walsh Cup, Cork should have scored 3-27-28 easily Clare scored 2-18 and drove roughly 20 wides. Wexford had half a team out and hit loads of wides near the end of normal time and extra time and still scored 1-24 in freezing conditions on a wet pitch in Januray,playing with a sweeper . Kilkenny CANNOT have a back line with Deegan, Holden & O,Shea,they would get ripped apart in the summer on drying ground. Shane Kingston who is probably not renown for his speed ran at O'Shea during the second half of the Cork match, around the 40 and had nearly 15 yards on him by the time he reached the 14, i think Buckley or Walsh got to him. Kilkenny might get away with one of them

I agree with most of that. I would only have O'Shea in the mix for a serious possibility of a start. I think Deegan needs more time, and Joey should be an option in case of injury.

I'd like to see

E. Murphy
    P. Murphy
    One of C.Delaney, T.Alyward at full back
    One of J. Lyng, C. Doheny, R. Bergin

P.Walsh
    C. Buckley
    J. Cleere

C. Fogarty
    L. Ryan

TJ Reid
    R. Hogan
    W. Walsh

K. Kelly
    C. Fennelly
    R. Leahy

Plenty of good options on the bench if lads continue to step up: R.Reid, J. Walsh, M. Keoghan, B. Sheehan, J. Donnelly, C.Doheny, R. Bergin, T. Alyward, E.Morrissey, C. O'Shea, J. Maher, R. Lennon

The real question mark is the full back line and if we can get our best 18 or 19 players into the 15 starting spots on a regular basis. If Alyward or Delaney can't make the step up, I think Forgarty is a better option to try at full back rather than Walsh.
    Happy we are trying lads, hope he keeps trying a few more and we shouldn't worry about relegation as it is not the the end of the world anymore.

Hurling-wise, you are probably right but it would be a disaster for anyone living abroad as no 1B matches are broadcast. It'd be a real pain not to be able to keep up with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Cant have paddy deegan o shea and conor martin.all to slow to play inter county imo.alot of small skillfull forwards to select from(bolger awlyard kelly sheehan walsh)any 2 who step up alongside colin richie tj and walter gives us a good 6.midfield fogarty and leahy for me.padraif and cillian at wing backs 2 murphys leaves full back centre back and left corner back.3 spots to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Would like to see Murphy, bolger and sheehan get a game together like the sheehan with his pace and then both the Reids and Walsh behind especially to win the Puck outs

It'd be great if we could sort out the full back line and release walsh out to hb but we still have to fill 3 and 6.tom aylward has being very steady for vegas the last few years while delaney had a good u21 campaign.
    Buckley and richie Reid were both very good at club level hb thats why I would of liked to have seen reid hb.
    I think leahy could be mf in the summer but I agree that sheehan or John Walsh could florish around hogan and reid they give us pace something we lack.
    Firstly I'd like to try see the defence tightening up and delaney or aylward tried soon

I'd like to see James Maher given a bit more time in mid-field. In there I'd like to see him and Fogarty or Leahy and Fogarty. Need a good blend of one sitting and one pushing on.

In terms of the forwards, no such thing as a half forward line and full forward line. Lads play all other the place and are switched throughout the game. Good aerial options up front in Wally and T.J. Richie will hopefully be back and get on sliotar in the middle third. One thing we need up front is pace.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see James Maher given a bit more time in mid-field. In there I'd like to see him and Fogarty or Leahy and Fogarty. Need a good blend of one sitting and one pushing on.

In terms of the forwards, no such thing as a half forward line and full forward line. Lads play all other the place and are switched throughout the game. Good aerial options up front in Wally and T.J. Richie will hopefully be back and get on sliotar in the middle third. One thing we need up front is pace.

** Double Post

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/280943

Thats Incredible.. Many south Kilkenny players i wonder as the article states Kilkenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

I would expect a lot of lads from Tullogher, Glenmore, Rower inistioge, Graignamanagh , would go to school in New ross so there should be a few lads involved with Good Council. St kierans, Cbs are not the only schools that lads from Kilkenny are participating in gaa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

IT Carlow 1-19
    Limerick 0-18
    Result

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

IT Carlow 1-19
    Limerick 0-18
    Result

Also good to see DCU (Conor Delaney, Darren Mullen, John Donnelly) beating 3-in-a-row seeking Mary I.

I see delaney and mullen scoring a point each.delaney was cb and mullen mf,mullen has potential but donnelly was taking off after 20 mins you'd imagine his first start last sunday could contribute to that.Well done to cw they might fancy their chances now

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I see delaney and mullen scoring a point each.delaney was cb and mullen mf,mullen has potential but donnelly was taking off after 20 mins you'd imagine his first start last sunday could contribute to that.Well done to cw they might fancy their chances now

Any report on how Delaney and Mullen did. I think Delaney has a good inter county future ahead of him

• Registered Users Posts: 33 BORO BILL

Any report on how Delaney and Mullen did. I think Delaney has a good inter county future ahead of him

Great win for Carlow and dcu.good too see Kilkenny lads going well. Would love to see Delaney either full or centre back with Kilkenny. Heard John Donnelly was subbed after 20 mins he had been ill the last few days and was a doubt before the game

No but leahy got 3 points for cw and 4 kk lads starting for dcu which can only be a good things

• Advertisement

Great stuff from Carlow when you consider they're doing it with lads from Carlow, Kerry and Laois making up a large portion of the team. That sounds really condescending but it's not meant to be. It wouldn't be the traditional profile of a strong Fitzgibbon team. Great to see and great for these lads to get the chance to showcase their talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

BORO BILL wrote: »
    Great win for Carlow and dcu.good too see Kilkenny lads going well. Would love to see Delaney either full or centre back with Kilkenny. Heard John Donnelly was subbed after 20 mins he had been ill the last few days and was a doubt before the game

Darragh brennan last year's intermediate captain corner back

BORO BILL wrote: »

Usually plays corner forward for club

robwen wrote: »
    Usually plays corner forward for club

U21 last year .pace and great tackler.
    One that has been overlooked would have him inside

U21 last year .pace and great tackler.
    One that has been overlooked would have him inside

He's been on off the shocks team as a forward prob needs a good year for them in the backs to be getting near a Cody call

Always in the forwards for shocks as that was were they were lacking. Size against him but he is a serious hurler

robwen wrote: »
    He's been on off the shocks team as a forward prob needs a good year for them in the backs to be getting near a Cody call

Anyone showing a bit of form at Fitzgibbon level should be inside i reckon if there carrying 60 lads. Be as good as our corner backs at present

• Advertisement

So we're now calling for a player who can't regularly make his club team to be in with the county because he's in a Fitzgibbon Cup semi final?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement