Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

A lot of lads get offer scholarships to go universities I think.

They do indeed and this has become a major issue in the last few years and most notably this year due to the changed fixture list. Most of the guys who are on scholarships are guys playing county hurling and a lot of colleges feel they are not getting bang for their buck. A lot of them are very rarely training with their college and were unavailable for the pre-Christmas league competition matches due to their county commitments.

There was a very interesting article on this subject in the Irish Times about a month ago where Nicky English (who was involved with UCD for a number of years) was suggesting that perhaps the colleges should consider offering scholarships to non-county players who they will have greater access to. Which obviously would be very unfair on the county boys who need the money to pay their rent and for their daily living expenses, but they are very much caught between a rock and a hard place.

Good point. I think the way to go would be to have it for non-county players only. This would cut all of the lads who are signed up on scholarships or lads you are doing day courses etc. It would also develop the hurlers who would benefit from development.

The disadvantage I suppose is that intercounty lads, like the Railway Cup, want to play in it and test themselves against their peers.

It's a good competition but slotting it into the calendar is tricky. The final is usually played on a football only week-end.

Regardless, big game at week-end. Should be interesting if management change team much, apart from Donnelly and Delaney etc. Obviously, I want to see the same workrate and intensity. With this brings tiredness, so good subs are crucial to continue the graft. Hopefully we create a few more goal chances and take them. That will boost confidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Good point. I think the way to go would be to have it for non-county players only. This would cut all of the lads who are signed up on scholarships or lads you are doing day courses etc. It would also develop the hurlers who would benefit from development.

The disadvantage I suppose is that intercounty lads, like the Railway Cup, want to play in it and test themselves against their peers.

It's a good competition but slotting it into the calendar is tricky. The final is usually played on a football only week-end.

Regardless, big game at week-end. Should be interesting if management change team much, apart from Donnelly and Delaney etc. Obviously, I want to see the same workrate and intensity. With this brings tiredness, so good subs are crucial to continue the graft. Hopefully we create a few more goal chances and take them. That will boost confidence!

Padraig Walsh is also unavailable due to college commitments so we will have a minimum of 3 changes. Would imagine Richie Leahy and Conor Fogarty will come back in if available. Billy Ryan will be under pressure to retain his place but I would like to see him given another shot at it if the first one had to go over for him his performance could have pan completely differently but he gradually seemed to lose confidence and to be withdrawn before half time on your debut must've been soul destroying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Village87

Will be interesting to see how the backs do this week, Tipp probably missing 3/4 marquee forwards, good chance to put one over them.

Village87 wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how the backs do this week, Tipp probably missing 3/4 marquee forwards, good chance to put one over them.

Anyone know what the story with Bubbles is? I know it was flagged up at the start of the year that Callanan wouldn't be playing any part in the league due to injury.

It'll be an interesting year for Callanan and Richie Hogan both of them are in a very similar position. Turning 30 this year, going into the Championship with very little hurling done and coming off an indifferent last season compared to their very high standards of the previous years. There's a chance that their best years could be behind them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Anyone know what the story with Bubbles is? I know it was flagged up at the start of the year that Callanan wouldn't be playing any part in the league due to injury.

It'll be an interesting year for Callanan and Richie Hogan both of them are in a very similar position. Turning 30 this year, going into the Championship with very little hurling done and coming off an indifferent last season compared to their very high standards of the previous years. There's a chance that their best years could be behind them!

Bubbles has ongoing fitness problems and has pretty much been told to get himself up to the required fitness levels or goodbye. He has always carried a bit of condition but was particularly bad this year, I think he will be fine and Fordes form will keep him on his toes, he has always been at his best when under pressure or with a point to prove and he also knows after Cathal Barret last year that Mick Ryan is not afraid to make the big decisions and no one is guaranteed their place on the panel let alone the team.

Callinan had a lot of back problems last year which goes someway to explaining his drop off from the previous two years form, he has had an operation on a bulging disc that seemingly went well and he is ahead of schedule with his recovery, but yeah has to be a concern at his age, although to be fair he hasnt actually alot of miles on the clock compared to Hogan and probably not as big an issue playing full forward. Again Fordes good from could be a blessing as to be perfectly honest Seamie for all his attributes is a very average free taker at the hight level and an abysmal penalty taker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I was reading where conor cleary from Clare might take some part for Clare Sunday after hurling for ul Saturday.I wonder will any of the kk or tipp lads play?personally I think it would be madness I know we'd like to see padraig and the lads play but there's enough lads on panels without playing 2 games in 2 days.It will be interesting to see who we go with at full back he would of known for a few weeks this could happen so he should have a plan b my guess will joey will go full back,his hurling well and good to see a bit of confidence back.

brookville wrote: »

I was reading where conor cleary from Clare might take some part for Clare Sunday after hurling for ul Saturday.I wonder will any of the kk or tipp lads play?personally I think it would be madness I know we'd like to see padraig and the lads play but there's enough lads on panels without playing 2 games in 2 days.It will be interesting to see who we go with at full back he would of known for a few weeks this could happen so he should have a plan b my guess will joey will go full back,his hurling well and good to see a bit of confidence back.
    Brian Cody and Mick Ryan have both confirmed all fitzgibbon players will be released for the weekend.

v3ttel wrote: »
    By the time we come out of this transitional phase, we could be the better for it. We're really building up a huge panel of players and all of them could potentially come in. The obvious gap is at full back (not because Padraig Walsh isn't talented enough).

When you add Paul Murphy, Colin Fennelly, Richie Hogan, Conor Fogarty, Richie Leahy, Kevin Kelly, Ger Alyward, Joe Lyng, Richie Reid, Sean Morrissey, John Walsh, Tom Alyward, Ryan Bergin, Jason Cleere, Richie Doheny, Chris Bolger (and plenty others) to what we saw last Sunday, I don't see why people are all doom and gloom about the next few years.

To me, it's exciting that we're seeing a new team being built under a manager that knows how to create a winning environment. Tipp and Wexford will be a serious challenge for the next two games. Wexford are probably ahead of every other team in terms of fitness (due to Davy running the legs off them all the time) and play the sweeper system which we've struggled against. If we have a game plan like against Waterford where we aren't just lumping aimless high balls down to the forwards, we have a good chance to turn things around against them. Tipp are the benchmark for now, but without Jason Forde, who has been outstanding so far in the league, it'll be interesting to see how they go. We'll both be down a lot of players.

While I agree with most of this it's not all doom and gloom there'll always be good hurlers in kk.we still have the core of a good team especially if we can get all the injured lads back for the summer.While we lost the first 2 league games there was positive performances from most of the youngsters.
    The only thing us supporters would of liked to have seen wàs someone else tried at 3 and 6.lyng wasn't to bad at 6 against cork but Lennon struggled against Clare morrisey and Delaney both look like better options and hopefully richie reid gets a run in defence.it'll be interesting to see how darren mullen goes against ul saturday if he got his act together I wouldn't mind him getting a run although it's unlikely.Is john walsh still on the panel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

While I agree with most of this it's not all doom and gloom there'll always be good hurlers in kk.we still have the core of a good team especially if we can get all the injured lads back for the summer.While we lost the first 2 league games there was positive performances from most of the youngsters.
    The only thing us supporters would of liked to have seen wàs someone else tried at 3 and 6.lyng wasn't to bad at 6 against cork but Lennon struggled against Clare morrisey and Delaney both look like better options and hopefully richie reid gets a run in defence.it'll be interesting to see how darren mullen goes against ul saturday if he got his act together I wouldn't mind him getting a run although it's unlikely.Is john walsh still on the panel?

Why not leave Buckley at number six?... he was excellent there against Waterford and has matured into a real leader on this team and a very good captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Village87

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Why not leave Buckley at number six?... he was excellent there against Waterford and has matured into a real leader on this team and a very good captain.

I agree, i think Buckley is the answer no.6. More or less plays as a sweeper there with midfielders and half forwards playing as extra cover. Can help the full back line also. Players like TJ and Wally are so important with this style as they can win or hold up the ball when it goes up so players can get up the field to support.
    That has been Kilkenny style since 2006 really.

• Advertisement

Read that interview with Cleary and find it completely bizarre that he would even be under consideration for Sunday. Though Clare's approach to the league has been quite interesting in that there's been a continuity of selection bar a few injury enforced changes to the likes of Conor McGrath, David Fitzgerald and John Conlon.

I was talking to a few Clare lads coming out of Nowlan Park a few weeks back and they reckoned that bar Conor McGrath the team that started against Kilkenny that day is probably their team for their first Championship match and they were disappointed with Clare's performance. They reckoned that if Alan Murphy had to convert that 65 to make it a one point game with a few minutes to go there was only going to be one winner. And considering they had been 11 points up against a Kilkenny team without TJ, Richie Hogan, Conor Fogarty, Paul Murphy and Colin Fennelly they weren't exactly cock-a-hoop. I was reassuring them that if they met us later in the year they'll be grand because Clare are a team we have consistently struggled against over the last couple of years.

Jamies O'Connor was on offtheball Monday night and he reckoned that Clare targeted the first three games against the traditional big three Tipperary, Kilkenny and Cork whom they hadn't beaten in the same year since '97 and we know how that panned out.

Either way it's a big year for this group of Clare players in that the Senior members of the first of their 3-in-row Under 21 winning teams turn 27 this year and it's 5 years since they won the Senior All Ireland and they haven't been back to Croke Park since. While it would be stretching it to say it's now or never the years are slipping by for this golden generation and a semi final appearance is probably a bare minimum requirement for this season.

danganabu wrote: »

Bubbles has ongoing fitness problems and has pretty much been told to get himself up to the required fitness levels or goodbye. He has always carried a bit of condition but was particularly bad this year, I think he will be fine and Fordes form will keep him on his toes, he has always been at his best when under pressure or with a point to prove and he also knows after Cathal Barret last year that Mick Ryan is not afraid to make the big decisions and no one is guaranteed their place on the panel let alone the team.

Callinan had a lot of back problems last year which goes someway to explaining his drop off from the previous two years form, he has had an operation on a bulging disc that seemingly went well and he is ahead of schedule with his recovery, but yeah has to be a concern at his age, although to be fair he hasnt actually alot of miles on the clock compared to Hogan and probably not as big an issue playing full forward. Again Fordes good from could be a blessing as to be perfectly honest Seamie for all his attributes is a very average free taker at the hight level and an abysmal penalty taker.

For however good he is, would Callanan be a confidence player. Seems if he starts well, he flies but if he misses an early chance, the confidence goes a bit. It'd be hard to shift Forde with the form he's in these days.

Any word on Jason Cleere? Ger Alyward musn't be far away now.

Three unanswered points during the closing seven minutes from deadly free taker, Micheál Murphy shot Dublin North to an historic first victory in the GAA post primary schools senior hurling Roinn A championship final in Netwatch Cullen Park today.
    Murphy was the scoring star at the finish, but before that and right through the match the likes of Sean Currie, Kevin Burke and Lee Gannon hurt defending champions, St Kieran's College with the power of their hurling.
    St Kieran's were chasing a league/championship double and four in-a-row in Leinster. They did enjoy a good third quarter during which Adrian Mullen grabbed a goal that helped get them in front, but apart from that brief period the Dubs looked the better team.
    Because they are a combined team, the new champions don't go through to the All-Ireland series. St Kieran's now play the losers from the Connacht final in the All-Ireland quarter-final on Saturday, March 3. 
    There was little or nothing between the teams early on, and the opening four points were shared equally. Points from Eoin Cody and Adrian Mullen then got St Kieran's in front, but after Currie burst through the defence to score a good goal for the Dubs in the 20th minute the winners gained the upper-hand.
    At half-time Dublin North led by 1-7 to 0-7. The losers needed two late scores from Cody and team captain, Daithí Barron to get that close.
    Dublin opened the second half with a very good point from the lively Conor Berigan, but for a while afterward busy St Kieran's took over. With the help of Mullen's goal and four points from Cody the losers actually showed 1-11 to 1-9 in front turning into the last quarter.
    The Dubs began to bridge the gap with a minor from a free by Murphy before they caught up at 1-11 each when Billy Ryan pointed on 52 minutes. The deadly Murphy took over from there, in a scoring sense, as the Dubs thundered on to make history.

The Dubs can look back on a good championship during which they beat two of the Kilkenny teams left in the All-Ireland series, St Kieran's and Kilkenny CBS.
    SCORERS: Dublin North - M. Murphy (0-7); S. Currie (1-3); C. Derwin (0-2); B. Ryan, C. Berigan (0-1 each). St Kieran's College - E. Cody (0-8); A. Mullen (1-2); D. Barron (0-1).

Kieran's still go through though as a combined team aren't allowed.

danganabu wrote: »

For however good he is, would Callanan be a confidence player. Seems if he starts well, he flies but if he misses an early chance, the confidence goes a bit. It'd be hard to shift Forde with the form he's in these days.

Any word on Jason Cleere? Ger Alyward musn't be far away now.
    Oh absolutely, don't think anyone could argue otherwise in fact Seamies career has been like that, it was extremely frustrating for Tipp fans who had seen glimpses and flashes for years but it wasn't really until he turned 26/27 that he started to deliver consistently, Eamon o"Shea played a massive part in that, as he did with Lar Corbett - both were full of talent but not getting the most from it.

Heard a few people saying padraig will probably play full back sunday

Hopefully not if he has played already. Be a good chance to try somebody else at No. 3.

Hopefully not if he has played already. Be a good chance to try somebody else at No. 3.

I agree we'd need some kind of cover if something happened him during the summer we'd need someone with some kind of experience.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/aylward-in-line-for-return-against-tipp-36634918.html
    It say here that ger aylward impressed in a recent challenge game.Who did they play?also Kevin kelly will be a while out to recover from his injury.

NUI Maynooth won their semi today, final tomorrow so chances of Padraig playing on Sunday are non-existent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil v Tip
    D Brennan
    E Morrissey J Holden P Deegan
    C OShea C Buckley C Browne
    J Maher L Blanchfield
    M Keoghan TJ Reid P Lyng
    R Leahy W Walsh L Scanlon
    Subs
    R Lennon
    R Bergin
    L Ryan
    R Reid
    C Martin
    B Sheehan
    A Murphy
    B Ryan
    O Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Is bolger still injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

What's up with Eoin Murphy? Thought Aylward would have at least made the bench if he's been impressing in a challenge game lately

robwen wrote: »
    What's up with Eoin Murphy? Thought Aylward would have at least made the bench if he's been impressing in a challenge game lately

Murphy took a heavy hit last week against Waterford, around the shoulder/neck area, looked in a lot of pain.

Kil v Tip
    D Brennan
    E Morrissey J Holden P Deegan
    C OShea C Buckley C Browne
    J Maher L Blanchfield
    M Keoghan TJ Reid P Lyng
    R Leahy W Walsh L Scanlon
    Subs
    R Lennon
    R Bergin
    L Ryan
    R Reid
    C Martin
    B Sheehan
    A Murphy
    B Ryan
    O Walsh

So assume Alan Murphy is double jobbing as back up goalie? Anyone know what the story with Eoin Murphy is?

So assume Alan Murphy is double jobbing as back up goalie? Anyone know what the story with Eoin Murphy is?

Or Richie Reid I suppose, we have plenty of cover!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Delighted to see Conor Browne getting a shot. Interesting to see Leahy corner forward. Hopefully goes well. The last time he played corner forward for Kilkenny was in the replayed all Ireland final minor. Should have been left in midfield by pat hoban as he was motm first day out. Hopefully they hurl Well, create some good scoring opportunities and come away with 2 points.

With all the forwards Tipp are missing ye wont need a keeper lads, poor fcuker will be frozen solid ;)

Lots of changes again good to see browne getting a run he has a bit of fire in his belly,blanchfeld worth a go out around the middle.no harm to give brennan a run his a good goalie and needs gametime,I would of liked to have seen richie reid getting a run in the half back line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Lots of changes again good to see browne getting a run he has a bit of fire in his belly,blanchfeld worth a go out around the middle.no harm to give brennan a run his a good goalie and needs gametime,I would of liked to have seen richie reid getting a run in the half back line

I think Richie Reid’s lack of fight and work rate in the first 20 minutes against Clare have stood against he hasn’t seen any game time since that. Good to see Scanlon and Leahy back in the team at least there’ll be a bit of pace and movement in the corners something we badly missed last year. It’ll be interesting to see how Maher and Blanchfield go at midfield they both did well when coming in against Waterford so hopefully they can put in a good performance on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Why only 24 named as opposed to usual 26?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

2 unrecognisable teams on the pitch on Sunday. Our midfield doesn't look very mobile and probably doesn't have the hurling for the 2 Mahers either so they'll need plenty of help from the half forward line.

Big crowd going to be there Sunday - looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

minty81 wrote: »
    Why only 24 named as opposed to usual 26?

I'm flying in on the 06.30 from East Midlands so I'm number 25 providing no traffic problems

2 unrecognisable teams on the pitch on Sunday. Our midfield doesn't look very mobile and probably doesn't have the hurling for the 2 Mahers either so they'll need plenty of help from the half forward line.

Big crowd going to be there Sunday - looking forward to it.

Yea it's mad when ya see the 2 teams.no noel mcgrath or padraig maher both teams out to find players for the summer and why not that's what the league is all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Management are deliberately using the five or six best minors of the last 4 years ,namely Browne,Scanlon,Delaney, Donnelly & John Walsh????.The maths is simple_- We've lost about 5 or six since '15.We need 5 or six replacements.If these lads step up,we'll have a competitive team.
    Kilkenny 2015 Survivors Eoin Murphy; Paul Murphy, Joey Holden, Padraig Walsh,, Cillian Buckley, Conor Fogarty; Walter Walsh, Richie Hogan, TJ Reid; Ger Aylward, Colin Fennelly, could all be available. Last two year's triallists were,Martin,Blanch, Kelly,Deegan,Bolger,OShea & Cleere Leahy. Leahy Cleere & maybe Deegan are good enough - Mossy &"one of the Lyngs will also do.Suddenly- we may see ourselves with a panel ofcabout 20 Hurlers with a fair bit of what Brian Cody wants.Might be an interesting Six months. Another feature is the cutting from the panel of the likes of Mark Kelly & Joñjo and Mick Walsh.

What's the story with Conor Fogarty?

What's the story with Conor Fogarty?

He has glandular fever, it’ll be another few weeks before he’s fully recovered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Garyp88 wrote: »
    I'm flying in on the 06.30 from East Midlands so I'm number 25 providing no traffic problems

Give Corrofin GAA a call and they'll have the contact details to organise a Garda escort :D

Anyone see the Fitzgibbon today?I seen where the 3 lads all got a point.It was always going to be hard to beat ul they have a very strong team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Anyone see the Fitzgibbon today?I seen where the 3 lads all got a point.It was always going to be hard to beat ul they have a very strong team.

I see Padraig Walsh scored 5 points today for Maynooth, seemed to be playing midfield. I would love to see him released from full back

blackcard wrote: »
    I see Padraig Walsh scored 5 points today for Maynooth, seemed to be playing midfield. I would love to see him released from full back

I think all us supporters would but it's not going to happen padraig is going to be full back untill someone else comes along but I would of liked to have seen delaney or tom aylward tried and if they got skint fair enough they weren't ready or good enough.joey hasn't played there since he along with the full back line got roasted in 15.Maybe it was unfair on him after one match to never play there again lots of lads had poor games but got another run in that position hopefully joey can go well tommor he seems to have some confidence back.

Yeah, watched the Fitzgibbon on line. UL comfortably the better team, winning margin probably flattered DCU. Delaney more than held his own at centre back, composed in position and tried to get his head up a deliver decent ball in. Donnelly did well off a limited supply, scored a point, was fouled for the converted penalty and two other frees. The game seemed to pass Darren Mullen by in midfield probably not his best position.

Yeah, watched the Fitzgibbon on line. UL comfortably the better team, winning margin probably flattered DCU. Delaney more than held his own at centre back, composed in position and tried to get his head up a deliver decent ball in. Donnelly did well off a limited supply, scored a point, was fouled for the converted penalty and two other frees. The game seemed to pass Darren Mullen by in midfield probably not his best position.

I've seen him hurl for the shamrocks mf and thought it suited him but maybe better in defence.dcu fought well by all accounts and it was nice to see more kk lads involved with Fitzgibbon teams than previous years.

Yeah I watched the game too and that’s a fairly accurate description. DCU seemed to play with an extra defender so it was hard for Donnelly to get into it but he worked very hard and won the penalty and a good few frees. Delaney hurled well and followed up his good showing for us last week. As you say the game seemed to pass Mullen by, he did some good things and got a good point but you always felt he was on the periphery of the game and never really showed how good he can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Just saw the Tipperary team and there's one recognised starting forward from recent years. I'll say the same as I said last week, it'd be a worrying game to not win for Kilkenny.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Just saw the Tipperary team and there's one recognised starting forward from recent years. I'll say the same as I said last week, it'd be a worrying game to not win for Kilkenny.

Bonner and Michael Breen have experience while we have walter and richie.yhey have a better looking half back line and mf.they also have padraig maher and noel mcgrath on the bench.while id he hopefull of getting a result I wouldn't be putting huge money on it at this time of the year anything could happen but a tipp foward line minus bubbles,callinan,forde,2x mcgraths,dan McCormack we should be trying to get some kind of result

Bonner and Michael Breen have experience while we have walter and richie.yhey have a better looking half back line and mf.they also have padraig maher and noel mcgrath on the bench.while id he hopefull of getting a result I wouldn't be putting huge money on it at this time of the year anything could happen but a tipp foward line minus bubbles,callinan,forde,2x mcgraths,dan McCormack we should be trying to get some kind of result

I heard yesterday that Cathal Barrett is out for Tipp today so I wouldn’t be surprised if Pauric Maher starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Eoin Murphy down to start in programme. Brennan needs a bit of game time if anything happens Murphy. He must have recovered significantly from heavy challenge last week. Great day and pitch looks class for the time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Stuck in work today. Anyone know what time were on tg4 at?
    Cautiously expecting a tight win

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement