Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Scrappy enough but can't fault the work rate. In fairness I think that's improved with each match this year. Be a bit concerned over the lack of scores coming from play.

And as soon as I say that Conor Browne puts over a great score.

Doesn't look good for Niall O'Meara. Hope it's not too serious as he's had a list of injury trouble.

Gone to pieces since getting the good lead.

Recovered superbly though, just need to keep the effort up.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Will Joey get to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

Great game. Will bring the young lads on a lot to win against Tipp.

Great win. Fate in our own hands now. Surprised at Paddy Deegan gettimg man of the match because I felt it was very much a forwards' game with both sets playing well and I felt both half back lines were leaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Great game, fair play to those Kilkenny young lads they have shipped a bit of criticism but stood up today in the heat of battle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

FCIM wrote: »
    Great win. Fate in our own hands now. Surprised at Paddy Deegan gettimg man of the match because I felt it was very much a forwards' game with both sets playing well and I felt both half back lines were leaky.

Thought Brendan maher was immense but maher done some good things.deegan had his best match and morrisey was tidy enough.joey was in trouble with the big full foward.leahy had another good 2nd half.it didn't work out for our 2 wing foward men but that will happen.i thought scanlon done some nice things before being replaced and took his goal well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Good game to watch, attacks very much on top in the second half.

Holden was absolutely cleaned out in the second half & Blanchfield showed once again he just isn't anywhere near Intercounty standard - other than that some nice performances from the younger lads (Scanlon, Leahy, Maher etc) and plenty to work on.

• Advertisement

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Good game to watch, attacks very much on top in the second half.

Holden was absolutely cleaned out in the second half & Blanchfield showed once again he just isn't anywhere near Intercounty standard - other than that some nice performances from the younger lads (Scanlon, Leahy, Maher etc) and plenty to work on.

I don't get how every Kilkenny supporter I speak to can see this but Cody and his staff can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Lads that block by Lester. And the one by Bucks. But Lesters one. Immense.

Richie Leahy has unreal potential.

TJ Reid is just class.

Weird game. Both teams looked like they've done some heavy training and the basic skills were poor throughout but exciting finish.

Pitch like a bloody carpet as well.

But Lesters block.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I don't get how every Kilkenny supporter I speak to can see this but Cody and his staff can't.

Well I don't agree with it, has a lot of work to do but loads of potential in my opinion.

Lads that block by Lester. And the one by Bucks. But Lesters one. Immense.

Richie Leahy has unreal potential.

TJ Reid is just class.

Weird game. Both teams looked like they've done some heavy training and the basic skills were poor throughout but exciting finish.

Pitch like a bloody carpet as well.

But Lesters block.

Blanch made a great run in the opening minutes but anonymous till he won the penalty.i thought when he came on against waterford in thurles and scored 3 points and win a vital free a few years ago he might kick on but unfortunately it just hasn't happened for him at club or u21 level although he did try hard in the u21 final.
    Leahy looks like a great prospect and has being consistent with his performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Things didn't work out today for either Keoghan or Lyng but Leahy played very well when he went to midfield which I think is his best position. Delighted with the effort from the team and the win. Rare that there is a poor game between these teams and the crowd really got onto the match in the second half. Tipp should be delighted with the performance considering the players that they were missing but I can't understand why Noel McGrath or Paudie Maher didn't start. Nowlan Park looked superb in contrast to Walsh Park last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Kilkenny 2015 Survivors= Eoin Murphy; Paul Murphy, Joey Holden, Padraig Walsh,, Cillian Buckley, Conor Fogarty; Walter Walsh, Richie Hogan, TJ Reid; Ger Aylward, Colin Fennelly,
    Add Deegan,Delaney,E Morrissey,Cleere, Browne,Leahy, Maher & Scanlon,Lester & R Reid = 20 useable players

• Advertisement

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Well I don't agree with it, has a lot of work to do but loads of potential in my opinion.

I'd love to know what you see in him because to me he's the worst intercounty hurler (at the top level of the game at least) I've ever seen.

Well that's a ridiculous statement to make

I'd love to know what you see in him because to me he's the worst intercounty hurler (at the top level of the game at least) I've ever seen.

What I see in him is the ability to run through defences like he did in the first minute today, he is tall, strong and has a decent level of skill. He got on some ball in midfield today and used it ok, he also scored a point and won a penalty. You also seem to forget that he probably was Kilkennys best forward in their last two league matches last year and along with Conor Delaney was the only Kilkenny player to offer any resistance against Limerick in the under 21 final. Also you have to factor in his performance against Waterford in the 2016 semi final before making a comment like the worst player ever.

He was poor for the senior team in the summer and seems to have lost a lot of confidence, he also has been very weak in the air at senior level. Serious work needed and improvement needs to happen pretty quickly as well but I see more in him as a senior county player than the likes of Chris Bolger or Conor Martin.

Well that's a ridiculous statement to make

Maybe it's a bit over-the-top, I admit, but surely there has to be a serious question why a hurler who consistently performs so poorly at under 21 level even gets close to the squad for the senior team.

What I see in him is the ability to run through defences like he did in the first minute today, he is tall, strong and has a decent level of skill. He got on some ball in midfield today and used it ok, he also scored a point and won a penalty. You also seem to forget that he probably was Kilkennys best forward in their last two league matches last year and along with Conor Delaney was the only Kilkenny player to offer any resistance against Limerick in the under 21 final. Also you have to factor in his performance against Waterford in the 2016 semi final before making a comment like the worst player ever.

He was poor for the senior team in the summer and seems to have lost a lot of confidence, he also has been very weak in the air at senior level. Serious work needed and improvement needs to happen pretty quickly as well but I see more in him as a senior county player than the likes of Chris Bolger or Conor Martin.

Maybe he's just a sign of how thin on the ground we are for hurlers at the moment. Here is genuinely the first place I've come across Kilkenny people who think he has anything in him at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kkman00

Maybe it's a bit over-the-top, I admit, but surely there has to be a serious question why a hurler who consistently performs so poorly at under 21 level even gets close to the squad for the senior team

It is most Definetly an over the top comment to make. He has had some good games for kilkenny including against Waterford in an all ireland semi final and played well in some league games last year. To say he's the worst inter county player youve ever seen is a farcical comment to make.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's a bit over-the-top, I admit, but surely there has to be a serious question why a hurler who consistently performs so poorly at under 21 level even gets close to the squad for the senior team.

Maybe he's just a sign of how thin on the ground we are for hurlers at the moment. Here is genuinely the first place I've come across Kilkenny people who think he has anything in him at this level.

Sorry you must not have talked to anybody from Kilkenny after the 2016 semi final, he looked like a great prospect then. I can see why people would be frustrated with him though. Are we all that thin in the ground for young hurlers with potential, I think we have as many as almost all the other counties, our problem for me is that we have less 24 to 26 year olds at the top level compared to the other counties challenging for all irelands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

blackcard wrote: »

I can't understand why Noel McGrath or Paudie Maher didn't start.

I think it's very understandable. Clearly they were in experimental mode and not overly concerned with the result. If they desperately needed to win no doubt you'd have seen the players mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Blanchfield has in general been poor since he has come into senior.bar the waterford semi he hasnt delivered on the promise he showed at minor.bolger kelly awlyard offer far morethreat than blanch.connor martin is one that I cant see why he is still there.blanch has all the tools to be a top player bur he needs to start using them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Good win for team today but babt steps as they say , i do agree about blanchfield i just cant see him ever being good enough and Alan Murphy is in same boat

Alan Murphy has great potential in my opinion. His movement off the ball is excellent and I think he has a great hurling brain in terms of the positions he takes up in the forwards. Definitely one to keep around.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I think it's very understandable. Clearly they were in experimental mode and not overly concerned with the result. If they desperately needed to win no doubt you'd have seen the players mentioned.

Considering both sides were missing a good few regulars it was a positive outing for both sides. There is definitely plenty of bite in the Kilkenny side at the minute.
    Ends Morrissey did well in the corner and Deegan also did well on the other side. Joey did well in the 2st half but struggled in the 2nd half.
    If padraig is coming back to no. 3 then it would d a better bet to have Deegan and Morrissey beside him.
    Don't want to seem too harsh on any player but Conor o shea is just not up to the standard required. Not commanding under the dropping ball and doesn't have the pace required. His distribution is also poor. Deegan had to cover for him a number of times in the 2nd half.
    Buckley and Browne did well. Browne seems very confident considering it was his 1st start.
    Maher did well months middle. Blanchfield string but finds it hard to gather the ball under pressure. Leahy very good when he came out.
    Mossy and pat lyng quieter today. Tj class.
    Walter strong. Scanlon good too. Took his goal very well. Could have had one in the 1st half if he had travelled like he did for his 2nd.
    Lester worked hard and came up with a heroic block in injury time as did Buckley.
    Alan Murphy decent when he came in.
    Im sure Conor Delaney will slot in instead of o shea. Anyone know when cleere is back?
    Conor fogarty in for Maher although Maher is improving all the time.
    Leahy to stay in the middle. Lester still an option in the middle to leave Leahy to 12.
    In fairness things are coming together considering the following have to come back that weren't there today.

Padraig Walsh
    Jason cleere
    Paul Murphy
    Conor delaney
    Conor fogarty
    Richie Hogan
    Colin fennelly
    John Donnelly
    Kevin Kelly
    Ger aylward
    John Walsh
    Billy Ryan

Promising to say the least. Gelling reasonably well atm.
    Am I missing anyone else?

Eoin murphy to also come back..I wonder what kinda team davey will send up next week With them through.4 points should do us to qualify if tipp win and we lose we'll probably end up in 4th and have scoring difference ahead of waterford and cork that's what I was told anyway

brookville wrote: »
    Eoin murphy to also come back..I wonder what kinda team davey will send up next week With them through.4 points should do us to qualify if tipp win and we lose we'll probably end up in 4th and have scoring difference ahead of waterford and cork that's what I was told anyway

If Tipp win we are through whatever happens anywhere else. Obviously dont want to be relying on that.

If Tipp win we are through whatever happens anywhere else. Obviously dont want to be relying on that.

Id say tipp should beat cork at home with the college lads back and cork now minus harnedy.

brookville wrote: »
    Id say tipp should beat cork at home with the college lads back and cork now minus harnedy.

Should do but won't touch Cork in the championship. Heading for a Kilkenny-Tipp All Ireland quarter final on 15 July with Kilkenny having got there as Leinster runners up and Tipp as third team in Munster beating the Joe McDonagh winners. Winners of that (Kilkenny) will have a crack at Cork in the semi final but will lose. And we still won't have reached the 1st of August. Anyway you read it here first!

• Advertisement

Sorry you must not have talked to anybody from Kilkenny after the 2016 semi final, he looked like a great prospect then. I can see why people would be frustrated with him though. Are we all that thin in the ground for young hurlers with potential, I think we have as many as almost all the other counties, our problem for me is that we have less 24 to 26 year olds at the top level compared to the other counties challenging for all irelands.

I'd agree with this when I think about it. There's a lot of very good young hurlers coming through. Where we're very thin is on leaders, except for TJ and Richie, when he returns, there aren't a lot around. Maybe it's a hangover from the golden period where you didn't get a look in if you weren't outstanding. I've always firmly believed that Cody will not stick around if he sees nothing coming through and the fact he stayed after last year strongly suggested to me he sees something coming through. Doubt we'll do much this summer but give the man time.

Not sure this actually matters all that much. That's really based on an ideal where a player lasts for 7/8 years and a team with a high number at this age has greater staying power. But it is possible for players to come good for a year or two later and to develop earlier too. The key for Kilkenny will be to have the exceptional three or four on the team irrespective of age.

Many people are mentioning the amount of players that have yet to come back including Paul Murphy and Colin Fennelly. But these were around last year too and didn't set the world alight. While there was too much despair a few weeks back there is a danger that too much will be read into recent improved results against weaker teams. The real challenge is to unearth a really special player or two extra to take them from last four contenders to All Ireland winners rather than worrying about the average age of the team. That might be a longer term job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Tell that to all the Tipp supporters as they walked out of Nowlan Park today after losing by a point. If you have someone by the throat, you should throttle them.

Tell that to all the Tipp supporters as they walked out of Nowlan Park today after losing by a point. If you have someone by the throat, you should throttle them.

I'm sure they would have worked it out for themselves from the team chosen.

(Not sure how Tipperary had Kilkenny "by the throat" either. They were seven points down three minutes into the second half weren't they and staring at a good beating? If there was any hand on a throat it was the other way around surely.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TommyHilfiger

I'd agree with this when I think about it. There's a lot of very good young hurlers coming through. Where we're very thin is on leaders, except for TJ and Richie, when he returns, there aren't a lot around. Maybe it's a hangover from the golden period where you didn't get a look in if you weren't outstanding. I've always firmly believed that Cody will not stick around if he sees nothing coming through and the fact he stayed after last year strongly suggested to me he sees something coming through. Doubt we'll do much this summer but give the man time.

Cody could have going after the 2014 all Ireland replay when a lot of great men retired he stayed around won 2015 lost 2016, beaten after extra time by the finalists 2017 I don't think the man runs when the going gets tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

It will take Paul Murphy and Colin Fennelly a bit of time to catch up in terms of their hurling when they come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It will take Paul Murphy and Colin Fennelly a bit of time to catch up in terms of their hurling when they come back.

No particular reason either of them should feel entitled to getting their place back. Although it's hard to see us being able to do without Murphy in the full back line that would be dependent on a serious return to form. Holden and Deegan are pretty far from nailed on starters but (as long as Holden is in the corner, not at 3) then they could both expect to be competing with a rusty Paul Murphy coming back from a long hiatus and off a couple of years of below his best play. Fennelly has been in the set up long enough now that we know he blows hot and cold and has trouble finishing, even though he is always a danger running at goal. I look forward to the two lads coming back and competing for places, but there's nothing to assume they'll both slot in immediately.

That's a good thing, by the way, reflects the fact there's a bit of competition in the panel again. Likes of Keoghan, Leahy, Martin, Deegan, have all staked out positions as serious members of the panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Village87

davidx40 wrote: »
    Good win for team today but babt steps as they say , i do agree about blanchfield i just cant see him ever being good enough and Alan Murphy is in same boat

TJ was different class yesterday, Unbelievable, Kilkenny could have been 10 points down at HT time if TJ didnt grab the game by the neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

According to KP, Ger Aylward will be back next week-end. He will be in the 26. Could have played yesterday but did a bit of extra training to get right.

Another boost to the panel and competition for places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Tipp should be delighted with the performance considering the players that they were missing but I can't understand why Noel McGrath or Paudie Maher didn't start.

I would say that both sets of managment were delighted with the game, a huge learning curve for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Not sure this actually matters all that much. That's really based on an ideal where a player lasts for 7/8 years and a team with a high number at this age has greater staying power. But it is possible for players to come good for a year or two later and to develop earlier too. The key for Kilkenny will be to have the exceptional three or four on the team irrespective of age.

Many people are mentioning the amount of players that have yet to come back including Paul Murphy and Colin Fennelly. But these were around last year too and didn't set the world alight. While there was too much despair a few weeks back there is a danger that too much will be read into recent improved results against weaker teams. The real challenge is to unearth a really special player or two extra to take them from last four contenders to All Ireland winners rather than worrying about the average age of the team. That might be a longer term job.

This year these players will turn the following ages: Walter 27, Cillian 26, Padraig 26, Joe Lyng 27, Ger Aylward 26, Conor O' Shea 25, Richie Reid 25, Rob Lennon 25, Kevin Kelly 25, .... All nine should make the championship 26.
    Based on that this age bracket will give us more than any other age bracket in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

This year these players will turn the following ages: Walter 27, Cillian 26, Padraig 26, Joe Lyng 27, Ger Aylward 26, Conor O' Shea 25, Richie Reid 25, Rob Lennon 25, Kevin Kelly 25, .... All nine should make the championship 26.
    Based on that this age bracket will give us more than any other age bracket in 2018

Not sure Robert Lennon and Conor o shea should make the panel but they probably will.
    No disrespect but I think we have better backs to make the panel. Only my opinion. Good hurlers but not the level we need to compete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The surface in Nowlan Pk looked immaculate yesterday , fair play to the groundsman/men that look after it.
    And then you have Walsh Pk, and Pairc Ui Chaoimh !!! P Ui C looked like Tramore beach yesterday ! terrible looking surface

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Like always great game between these old foes......

Brennan- Pucks out were not great and went short few times when it wasn't on really. Good to get him game time in the league all the same but certainly work in progress
    Morrissey- Solid and generally tidy game all round. Proving to be decent squad member
    Holden-Struggled second half but did some very good things first half. Will be back in the corner next week
    Deegan-Best game so far this year with some excellent catches. Should look to improve on distribution
    O'Shea-Never dominates unfortunately and delivery is often aimless
    Buckley- Incredible athlete and hurler!
    Browne-Good first outing and took point well. He collided few times with Buckley under few high balls but should be happy with league debut
    Maher-Getting through a mountain a work and really hope can drive on to nail starting 15 position
    Blanchfield-Confidence is gone and just struggling with all round game. Has the potential but wouldnt be near starting 15 if going on form
    Mossy- Always has that tiring look at demeanour about him and just struggled to get into game yesterday. Just wonder if he not quite ready physically for two big games at this level 2 weeks in a row. Same thing happened where he was brilliant in Walsh Cup final against Wexford but then struggled following week against Cork in League. No doubt he will come good over the next few years
    Tj- Great to see him back on form and catching high balls for fun again. His vision is exquisite
    Lyng- First touch let him down at times. Not the most natural hurler but makes up for it with work rate.......but not sure how far good rate will get you at this level
    Leahy-Went far better went was brought out the field. Has real style and guile and knows there the posts are
    Wally-quite first half but took goal brilliantly and came into it second half
    Scanlon-Excellent goal and not shy to get stuck in given his size.Bigger tests to come

First of all will the wexford match go ahead if this bad weather comes?Will davie take his foot of the gas sunday and try players,wexford and Clare have used strong teams throughout while other teams have experimented more than others.we'll probably end up in 4th position against Galway or limerick.i think the league has being good to us and we've used lots of players and were very competitive with lots of newcomers.im sure we'll see lots of more changes for the next match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Thee main damage from Tipp came from Breen when he was switched to right corner forward. Tipp brought on Russell at full forward and he did cause Joey trouble. Holden held his own other than giving away a few frees which were harsh enough. Breen went in to score his two goals after the switch. Deegan thundered into the game in the last ten minutes or so but a lot of damage was already done on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Not much chance of Davy taking foot off the pedal. He knows no other way than flat out.
    Ridiculous from him to have a minibus ready in Mallow to take the fitzgibbon players back to wexford straight after the game. Give the players a day off ffs, whats the point of it all if you can't get a chance to unwind and enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

minty81 wrote: »
    Not much chance of Davy taking foot off the pedal. He knows no other way than flat out.
    Ridiculous from him to have a minibus ready in Mallow to take the fitzgibbon players back to wexford straight after the game. Give the players a day off ffs, whats the point of it all if you can't get a chance to unwind and enjoy it

No chance of Davy taking the foot of the gas, he’s a student of Cody, and Cody would try to mentally damage the other team and put a block in their heads regarding his team and yo7 can be sure that is what Da y will do. Will want to beat KK again before summer time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TommyHilfiger

We will need to lay down a marker to Wexford next Sunday, I say Cody cant wait for it and the players after the Walsh cup. I said it before this league match v Wexford is a big match nothing other than a win wont be accepted.

Kk should be up for this it'll probably be the last time we met before the summer.padraig and delaney could return to defence.leahy and maher both done well yesterday lester looks like being an impact player.mossy hopefully gets another start nothing went right but that will happen.ger aylward will probably start I wouldnt mind seeing someone else in the other corner but happy enough with scanlon he brings a bit of pace to the fowards took his goal brillantly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement