Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Good game to watch, attacks very much on top in the second half.

Holden was absolutely cleaned out in the second half & Blanchfield showed once again he just isn't anywhere near Intercounty standard - other than that some nice performances from the younger lads (Scanlon, Leahy, Maher etc) and plenty to work on.

Totally agree with this.

I was surprised Joey finished the game, he looked in trouble every time the ball went in. In fairness to him, he was doing well in the corner in some of the other games so far (second half vs Clare and last day vs Waterford).

Blanch is a million miles off the pace. I thought it was a stroke of luck that he was fouled for the penalty yesterday as he rarely gets a shot away. I can't remember what game he came on as an early first half sub recently, but he didn't actually puck a ball until the 59th minute. He has done nothing at inter-county level since the semi final replay against Waterford in 2015. He was pretty poor for the U21's last year too.

Lots of other encouraging performances though, and again, plenty to build on. We've had a lot of lads come in and shown enough of their talent that the future still looks bright. I've named the names in one of my previous posts. We will have a strong panel this year. The biggest question mark is at full back. I think Buckley has sorted out the center back spot and made it his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

While I agree that Holden looked in trouble every time the high ball dropped in, he wasn't directly responsible for the two goals. As I said in a previous post, Breen had switched out to right corner forward and proceeded to score his two goals from that position. Meanwhile Tipp had sited the lanky Russell on Holden and while causing him problems there were bigger problems elsewhere. Ball after ball rained down on the fullback until the outfield players started to up their workrate, began to hassle their opponents and thus stopped that good ball dropping into our fullback.

If memory serves me right, Morrissey was moved onto Breen after the two goals which perhaps explains why Deegan played much of the last 10 minutes or so on the right. Deegan thundered into it at this stage after he was taken off Breen.

I haven't looked back on the game but that was my reading of it on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Topcat32

v3ttel wrote: »
    Totally agree with this.

I was surprised Joey finished the game, he looked in trouble every time the ball went in. In fairness to him, he was doing well in the corner in some of the other games so far (second half vs Clare and last day vs Waterford).

Blanch is a million miles off the pace. I thought it was a stroke of luck that he was fouled for the penalty yesterday as he rarely gets a shot away. I can't remember what game he came on as an early first half sub recently, but he didn't actually puck a ball until the 59th minute. He has done nothing at inter-county level since the semi final replay against Waterford in 2015. He was pretty poor for the U21's last year too.

Lots of other encouraging performances though, and again, plenty to build on. We've had a lot of lads come in and shown enough of their talent that the future still looks bright. I've named the names in one of my previous posts. We will have a strong panel this year. The biggest question mark is at full back. I think Buckley has sorted out the center back spot and made it his own.

He scored a point so I guess that was an example of the rare occasion when he can get a shot away, again he scored heavily against Dublin and Wexford in the league last year so what you are saying is factually incorrect and he was one of the only players to do ok against the only really good team which the under 21s played against last year, just another example of people taking legimitate concerns over the form of a player and then underming their argument by complete over exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

Anyone behind the goal for TJ's penalty was it wide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Village87

robwen wrote: »
    Anyone behind the goal for TJ's penalty was it wide?

Was a dubious penalty to say the least. Tipp back just held his ground to protect the keeper. Also did Wally Walsh push Hamill in the back for the goal ? Kilkenny got a few crucial calls during the match.

As for the Full back line i thought Morrissey was the best of them, If Tipp had there usually full forward line it could have been an even tougher day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Kilkenny should have been awarded two additional penalties. Mooney dived feet first into Maher and Keoghan in the first half. Not only is it not a legitimate tackle, it's a dangerous potential leg breaker.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

"Kilkenny, the next day, I don’t really mind,” says Fitzgerald, his main point being Wexford are already assured of their place in the quarter-finals, while Brian Cody’s team need to win be sure of theirs (although they look safe from the relegation play-off).

“For us, we’ll take it as it comes, but I don’t really care, once we’re there in the quarter-finals. We probably won’t be full throttle this Sunday, but I keep saying this is massive for our progression, staying in Division 1A.”

Wexford dont need to win the game and have had the majority of the main team playing through. Lee Chin had a slight injury and was taken off at half time, so I'd expect a fairly different team the next day. Maybe moreso on the wings than the spine of the team, but its obviously not a game being targeted to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

citykat wrote: »
    Kilkenny should have been awarded two additional penalties. Mooney dived feet first into Maher and Keoghan in the first half. Not only is it not a legitimate tackle, it's a dangerous potential leg breaker.

Eoin Murphy and Anthony Nash are pretty good at that too. I think DJ spoke about it previously and how dangerous it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TommyHilfiger

Village87 wrote: »
    Was a dubious penalty to say the least. Tipp back just held his ground to protect the keeper. Also did Wally Walsh push Hamill in the back for the goal ? Kilkenny got a few crucial calls during the match.

As for the Full back line i thought Morrissey was the best of them, If Tipp had there usually full forward line it could have been an even tougher day

Have you a problem with your sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Have you a problem with your sight.

It would be interesting to see where both of you were in relation to whatever incident ye are disagreeing about; different viewpoints, different interpretations etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

"Held his ground to protect his keeper" Protect him from what? He was wasn't even looking at the ball. There's a picture of the incident in yesterdays' Indo seek it out and come back to me and tell me it was a "dubious penalty"!

"Held his ground to protect his keeper" Protect him from what? He was wasn't even looking at the ball. There's a picture of the incident in yesterdays' Indo seek it out and come back to me and tell me it was a "dubious penalty"!

May be he wonts hurling to go back to the hells kitchen days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I know some times pictures don't tell the full story but the tipp defender had his two arms wrapped around blanch he wasn't shielding him like defenders do I thought it was blatant enough.

piuswal wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see where both of you were in relation to whatever incident ye are disagreeing about; different viewpoints, different interpretations etc.

Was Walter Walsh not in front of the full back tipped the ball forward then scored the goal when he went past Hamill.

It looks like fogarty will also be out for the wexford match.it was good to see richie hogan sunday he had a hurl and ball pucking around before the match.eoin murphy will probably be out it'd be good to see brennan getting another run.we should be safe and we should be happy enough with the league given all the changes match to match.
    Heard from a bridge lad that cleeres operation went well and they hope to have him back for the first round of the club where hopefully kevin kelly will be back for ballyragget.I know cleere is young but he has being hurling flat out since kierans with the club and underage and senior hopefully fogarty,richie and cleere will be fresh for the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'd heard that Hogan had a setback with his recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

Is my maths right

Avoid losing to Wexford by more than 4 in case cork beat tipp by exactly 10. And assume Waterford don't beat Clare by 19

Achieve that and we are in the quarter finals . Such an important win last sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Wexford running out the panel .that's the sounds coming out of the wex camp .In the quarters probably playing a week team.paddy power must be in the no.kilkenny 2/5 fav.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

catseye2 wrote: »
    Is my maths right

Avoid losing to Wexford by more than 4 in case cork beat tipp by exactly 10. And assume Waterford don't beat Clare by 19

Achieve that and we are in the quarter finals . Such an important win last sunday

Furthermore;

If Clare lose and KK beat Wex by 7 more than Tipp win by then KK top.

Clare lose and Tipp draw/lose, KK win, they go top.

Clare must lose.

I think that covers winning combinations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Was Walter Walsh not in front of the full back tipped the ball forward then scored the goal when he went past Hamill.

Exactly - shown on television and I was directly across when Walter tipped the ball past Hamill, picked it up on the hurley, took a few steps to be nearer goal and gave the goalie no chance.

The Kilkenny forwards in general are not doing this, they need to take the ball forward to nearer the goal, thus increasing goal-scoring opportunities.

If Blanchfield can get a little fitter, knock off a stone, bring more quality to his pickup of the ball, he looks like the kind of player who can add this dimension to the Kilkenny forwards, and also create more opportunities for the smaller lively forwards, Kilkenny have at the moment. Brian Cody, in my humble opinion, is possibly seeing this quality in Blanchfield, and that is why he is persevering with him. Some of our previous quality forwards were slow to develop also, and it took a few years to bring them up to what Brian was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Hopefully the park will have thawed out by Sunday morning. With Conor Delaney, padraig Walsh, John Donnelly and possibly ger aylward on the panel we should have our strongest squad of the league thus far.
    Obviously we will have to wait till later in the year to have Paul Murphy, Colin fennelly, Richie Hogan, Jason Cleere and Kevin Kelly back on the panel but for now it's good to see others getting a run.

I'm assuming Conor fogarty and eoin Murphy will be out for another week.

The team I would like to see out for Sunday would be the following.

Darren Brennan
    Enda Morrissey
    Padraig Walsh
    Paddy Deegan
    Conor Delaney
    Cillian Buckley
    Conor Browne
    Richie Leahy
    James Maher
    Mossy keoghan
    Tj Reid
    Pat Lyng
    John Donnelly
    Walter Walsh
    Luke Scanlon

Ryan Bergin
    Joey Holden
    Conor o shea
    Joe lyng
    Lester Ryan
    Ollie Walsh
    Liam blanchfield
    Ger aylward
    Alan Murphy
    Bill Sheehan
    Conor Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Also did Wally Walsh push Hamill in the back for the goal ?
    Exactly - shown on television and I was directly across when Walter tipped the ball past Hamill, picked it up on the hurley, took a few steps to be nearer goal and gave the goalie no chance..

The incident that Village is talking about was for the second goal and it was Scanlon not Walsh, he nudged him in the back alright but nothing you wouldnt expect a clever forward to do and Hamill went down softly, still in a spin after the first goal 60 secs earlier.

Hopefully the park will have thawed out by Sunday morning. With Conor Delaney, padraig Walsh, John Donnelly and possibly ger aylward on the panel we should have our strongest squad of the league thus far.
    Obviously we will have to wait till later in the year to have Paul Murphy, Colin fennelly, Richie Hogan, Jason Cleere and Kevin Kelly back on the panel but for now it's good to see others getting a run.

I'm assuming Conor fogarty and eoin Murphy will be out for another week.

The team I would like to see out for Sunday would be the following.

Darren Brennan
    Enda Morrissey
    Padraig Walsh
    Paddy Deegan
    Conor Delaney
    Cillian Buckley
    Conor Browne
    Richie Leahy
    James Maher
    Mossy keoghan
    Tj Reid
    Pat Lyng
    John Donnelly
    Walter Walsh
    Luke Scanlon

Ryan Bergin
    Joey Holden
    Conor o shea
    Joe lyng
    Lester Ryan
    Ollie Walsh
    Liam blanchfield
    Ger aylward
    Alan Murphy
    Bill Sheehan
    Conor Martin

It's hard to see the match going ahead at this stage if it did that's something along the lines of like to see.id like to see browne and scanlon again both offer pace and both done well on their debut like the newcomers against waterford.i was reading today chin and guiney probably out id say davey will be trying lads given he used the same core so far.i wouldn't mind seeing billy ryan or sheehan again.both might be better on a harder sod.

danganabu wrote: »
    The incident that Village is talking about was for the second goal and it was Scanlon not Walsh, he nudged him in the back alright but nothing you wouldnt expect a clever forward to do and Hamill went down softly, still in a spin after the first goal 60 secs earlier.

Make up yer minds between the two of ye which goal he was actually fouled not long before that Luke Scanlon he was was quick he passed the ball out kilkenny got a great point from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Blanchfield doesn't need to lose a stone!!! If he does then the rest of us are ****ed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

Furthermore;

Clare must lose.

So with one match to go , KK or Tipp could finish top or bottom of the table. If KK are to be in the relegation zone, It will most likely be because Cork beat Tipp, KK are beaten by WX, and there is a 13 points swing between Cork and KK e.g. Cork win by 7 and KK lose by 6. It could also be because Cork beat Tipp, KK lose, Wd win and there is a 19 points swing between KK and Wd. Tipp would be in trouble if Cork win, KK win or draw and Wd lose or draw

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭suirway

GAA saying they have a back up plan that will not interfere with April month for clubs (which is a joke anyway) if league matches are called off the weekend. Also saying they will not play midweek games. Considering there is no gap week from here to the league final be interesting to see what are they proposing.. scrap the last round? Scrap the quarter finals? Or more likely will just push everything back a week and make up some more PR bull that it still leaves X amount of weeks in April for clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

A lad from GAA was on the radio Tuesday and more or less confirmed that if this weekend is cancelled, the hurling and football league finals will all be on the same weekend (March 31 and April 1).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

blackcard wrote: »
    Furthermore;

Clare must lose.

So with one match to go , KK or Tipp could finish top or bottom of the table. If KK are to be in the relegation zone, It will most likely be because Cork beat Tipp, KK are beaten by WX, and there is a 13 points swing between Cork and KK e.g. Cork win by 7 and KK lose by 6. It could also be because Cork beat Tipp, KK win, Wd win and there is a 19 points swing between KK and Wd. Tipp would be in trouble if Cork win, KK win or draw and Wd lose or draw

Best advice is to just beat Wexford!!

suirway wrote: »
    GAA saying they have a back up plan that will not interfere with April month for clubs (which is a joke anyway) if league matches are called off the weekend. Also saying they will not play midweek games. Considering there is no gap week from here to the league final be interesting to see what are they proposing.. scrap the last round? Scrap the quarter finals? Or more likely will just push everything back a week and make up some more PR bull that it still leaves X amount of weeks in April for clubs.

Yeah, bad weather and postponements should be factored in at this time of year. There should be a couple of free Sundays to regig if games are off.

All county managers will want/need their county men in April if championship is in May. Will cause bother between county managers/club mangers and players...as usual, it'll be the players who'll be under pressure.

• Advertisement

Yeah, bad weather and postponements should be factored in at this time of year. There should be a couple of free Sundays to regig if games are off.

All county managers will want/need their county men in April if championship is in May. Will cause bother between county managers/club mangers and players...as usual, it'll be the players who'll be under pressure.

All matches in both codes cancelled as expected.it was impossible to see how they would of went ahead or how players could get to training this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Topcat32 wrote: »
    He scored a point so I guess that was an example of the rare occasion when he can get a shot away, again he scored heavily against Dublin and Wexford in the league last year so what you are saying is factually incorrect and he was one of the only players to do ok against the only really good team which the under 21s played against last year, just another example of people taking legimitate concerns over the form of a player and then underming their argument by complete over exaggeration.

That's utter bollocks tbh. I did not say he has not scored since then. I would suggest you read what I actually wrote, not what you assumed was written. Please highlight where I said he didn't score since 2015?

By the way, if you you are defining contribution by scores, you must not rate many, many fine hurlers. It is far more than that.

I said he has done nothing at inter-county level. Let me break it down for you as to what this means: his form has been very, very poor & his scoring rate the same. He struggles to win his own ball (or any ball).Citing a few scores in the league last season against the team that got relegated (and is currently in trouble in 1B) is not concrete proof to the contrary, amidst the raft of supporting evidence.

He does struggle to get his shot away. 1 point the last day, does not contradict that. It would if I said, he never gets his shot away. Again, read what was written rather responding to fantasy.

Pity the game is not on Sunday with Lee Chin absent, arguably the most effective hurler in the country at present

Pity the game is not on Sunday with Lee Chin absent, arguably the most effective hurler in the country at present

True but on reflection, good to have missed Jason Forde last week-end. For me at the minute, he's top of the class so far in 2018!

Why what are ye saying we wouldn't beat these teams with players like Forde, Chinn playing I wonder all Chin did the last day was attempt to throw a hurl into a stand if Kilkenny hadn't taken Buckley off him last summer in Wexford park you wonder what would have happened.

Why what are ye saying we wouldn't beat these teams with players like Forde, Chinn playing I wonder all Chin did the last day was attempt to throw a hurl into a stand if Kilkenny hadn't taken Buckley off him last summer in Wexford park you wonder what would have happened.

No. Just saying Forde has been the best player so far this year. That's my opinion.

IMO Chin came on in the Walsh cup and changed the game , got an unbelievable score under he big stand. O Shea coudnt get near him.

Chin was man of the match last year in WP,playing with 5 forwards and a congested midfield. Chin is far more effective than Buckley, only TJ can compete In the Kilkenny squad with him at present. Any forward outnumbered like they usually are still produce big matches are exceptional hurlers,athletes

True but on reflection, good to have missed Jason Forde last week-end. For me at the minute, he's top of the class so far in 2018!

Forde definitely seems to to have upped it a gear but the last few years he goes of the scene when the summer comes hopefully he can kick on now he has the size and strength to be a top foward...just on tipp last weekend I know their trying things and this is the time to do it but it's going to be hard to fit all the fowards in.i don't think Ronan maher is a midfielder or barry is a six or tossy a 3.I know paudie maher and barrett will tighten things up at the back but if they put too much emphasis into the attack they could leak to much at the back.
    After Kevin kelly having a good club campaign it's a shame he missed the league talking to lads from ballyragget he was seriously targeted in the leinster final and badly injured.if we can get him back he will be a big addition because his a good finisher.
    Looked at the some of the tipp match I think we all agree after it padraig probably is the best we have at full back.joey done ok in the first half but things like o meara turning him on the inside over near the endline is criminal at that level.he then fouled him for a free.In the 2nd half I thought one or 2 frees were harsh when you see the replay but in real time they looked like frees.its either corner back or nowhere for him..deegan made the few catches but Breen got the goals off him morrissey looks like he can be a tidyer corner back.tj was the best kk player on view.james maher has improved but needs to tidy up his shooting to really nail down a spot.id have fogarty and leahy mf during the summer hopefully.
    After a few rounds of the league still very hard to guess our summer team.the positives are we've being competitive and better than we were this time last year granted we've probably more pre season done than most but there has being at least 5 changes per match.

IMO Chin came on in the Walsh cup and changed the game , got an unbelievable score under he big stand. O Shea coudnt get near him.

Chin was man of the match last year in WP,playing with 5 forwards and a congested midfield. Chin is far more effective than Buckley, only TJ can compete In the Kilkenny squad with him at present. Any forward outnumbered like they usually are still produce big matches are exceptional hurlers,athletes

What did he do in the championship after that game.

He didn't start doing harm last year until he moved out the field away from Buckley.

• Advertisement

He didn't start doing harm last year until he moved out the field away from Buckley.

Chin is hurling well at the moment and is the most in form hurler in the country at the moment. He never reached the heights in last years championship after the Kilkenny game, when he really stood up to the plate when needed.

Buckley is hurling very well but not near the level of Chin at present only TJ at present . Buckley hurls very good in the half back line but players like Chin, TJ & Gleeson are match winners. Any player who can do this in the congested half forward line while being man marked and crowded out deserve plenty of credit & plaudits IMO. O Callaghan can be added in that category but that is at club level, he took Buckley & the full back who i cant remember his name to the cleaners individually and collectively in the Leinster club championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Chin is hurling well at the moment and is the most in form hurler in the country at the moment. He never reached the heights in last years championship after the Kilkenny game, when he really stood up to the plate when needed.

Buckley is hurling very well but not near the level of Chin at present only TJ at present . Buckley hurls very good in the half back line but players like Chin, TJ & Gleeson are match winners. Any player who can do this in the congested half forward line while being man marked and crowded out deserve plenty of credit & plaudits IMO. O Callaghan can be added in that category but that is at club level, he took Buckley & the full back who i cant remember his name to the cleaners individually and collectively in the Leinster club championship.

Evan Cody

Id say it's evan cody your thinking of...in fairness to o callaghan his a serious club hurler.its his pace that causes defenders lots of trouble.they drag out the other fowards leaving him one on one inside he either wins frees or scores.its very hard to contain him.na piarsaigh are a good side if they can hold him they'll have a good chance.

What are you talking about been crowded out where was the extra defender between the kilkenny half forward line full forward line Buckley marked him in the first half kept him under tabs he went out mid field second half Buckley didn't follow him. Did Chin get allstar last year no.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Topcat32

v3ttel wrote: »
    That's utter bollocks tbh. I did not say he has not scored since then. I would suggest you read what I actually wrote, not what you assumed was written. Please highlight where I said he didn't score since 2015?

By the way, if you you are defining contribution by scores, you must not rate many, many fine hurlers. It is far more than that.

I said he has done nothing at inter-county level. Let me break it down for you as to what this means: his form has been very, very poor & his scoring rate the same. He struggles to win his own ball (or any ball).Citing a few scores in the league last season against the team that got relegated (and is currently in trouble in 1B) is not concrete proof to the contrary, amidst the raft of supporting evidence.

He does struggle to get his shot away. 1 point the last day, does not contradict that. It would if I said, he never gets his shot away. Again, read what was written rather responding to fantasy.

Ah he actually scored 3 points against Wexford in the league quarter final last year who are top of Division 1 at the moment, not sure why my response seems to have annoyed you so much. Just on the fantasy point, I can't see where I made any reference to you saying that he has never scored since 2015 and your sticking up a straw man by saying I just judge players by what they score.

My thoughts are that he has a lot of the attributes that you would look for in a young player; just my opinion, I dont deny that he has looked lost in a lot of matches over the last few years and his head seems to drop quickly when things aren't going well for him.

I think we're all a little disappointed with blanchfields progression since bursting onto the scene 2 years ago.He has the size and strength to be a good hurler but basic things like failing to rise the ball when your out in front of your man is unacceptable at inter county.Id also like to see him do more at club level but lads need to remember that his ònly 21 and some lads take more time than others to really establish themselves at county level we may need to be a little more patient with him but I'd be more hopefull of kevin kelly nailing down a spot and being more influential.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

brookville wrote: »
    I think we're all a little disappointed with blanchfields progression since bursting onto the scene 2 years ago.He has the size and strength to be a good hurler but basic things like failing to rise the ball when your out in front of your man is unacceptable at inter county.Id also like to see him do more at club level but lads need to remember that his ònly 21 and some lads take more time than others to really establish themselves at county level we may need to be a little more patient with him but I'd be more hopefull of kevin kelly nailing down a spot and being more influential.
    Agree totally about blanchfield he has everything except he is not producing it.brian is giving him every chance he needs to start taking it.over the years our best minors always camw through as top players this has not been happening in the last 4/5 years.for me our top underage players need to perform at senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Agree totally about blanchfield he has everything except he is not producing it.brian is giving him every chance he needs to start taking it.over the years our best minors always camw through as top players this has not been happening in the last 4/5 years.for me our top underage players need to perform at senior.
    To be honest I think the problem is these young lads feel the same way, that they "have" to perform. They are putting massive pressure on themselves and for some it's obviously not a good thing. I don't think it's honestly anything new, lots of young lads would put that pressure on themselves over the years. The issue we seem to have is that these lads can't seem to handle that pressure and perform at the same time. I know someone involved in last year's U21 set up and they said that 2 or 3 of the lads that were with the seniors were playing crap all year when they came to the U21 sessions. As soon as the seniors lost to Waterford those same players started playing a million times better and playing closer to their potential. He said the difference was visible, even in how they carried themselves and talked. It was a massive weight off their shoulders. I honestly don't know what the solution is but if a lad like Blanchfield is struggling and Cody keeps giving him chances then Cody believes he has what it takes. If he can start believing in himself then we might see what he can really do. Constant snipping from the sidelines is not going to help him and any others that are falling to convert. No matter what is said about him, he'll be a bigger critic of his performance than anyone else, where I don't think it helps is also hearing criticism constantly from outside, that just reinforces his own criticisms and makes it harder to perform.

In fairness to Cody this is the reason why he didn't put most lads into the mix until 24 or 25 because it takes most lads that long to be able to handle the mental side of it. You'll always have exceptions of lads who played from 19 on, these lads obviously had ice running through their veins. Cody's hand has been forced because there was very little coming through from the U21 teams before last year's crop and since Padraig, Buckley, Wally and Aylwards year. That has left him short of lads who are 23-25 who should be emerging as players and instead we're playing lads of 19 to 22 and some are ready for the mental challenge and some aren't yet. There are very few lads in there personally that I don't think have the talent and the hurling. The biggest problem we'll have for the next few years is consistency and that will all be down to mental attitude and resilience. At senior intercounty level there really are very few if any bad hurlers, what separates winning from losing is the piece between the ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

The group of kelly wally buckley john power awlyard have all come through in one way or another before that richie hogan top minor cane through same for richie power cha and tommy walsh.all top minors who became top seniors.leahy blanch and john walsh were top minors can they now become top seniors.same in the next few years for john donnelly and the 2 mullens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

The debate here around Blanchield is pretty much a carbon copy of the talk that has been around Jason Forde in Tipp for the last few years, and I know he still hasnt actually delivered in the heat of the championship, but the signs are certainly good at the moment. Give the lad time, if Cody feels he is worth persisting with then that should be enough for any Kilkenny supporter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement