Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

danganabu wrote: »
    The debate here around Blanchield is pretty much a carbon copy of the talk that has been around Jason Forde in Tipp for the last few years, and I know he still hasnt actually delivered in the heat of the championship, but the signs are certainly good at the moment. Give the lad time, if Cody feels he is worth persisting with then that should be enough for any Kilkenny supporter.

There's lots of players that fall into this bracket.kevin kelly has yet to kick off.jason forde,niall o meara always seems a handful during the league but maybe it's because tipp have so many fowards these lads don't feature during the summer.
    I remember buckley in 2012 he wasn't great.I dunno how many lads said lads like taggy,rice or brian hogan will never make it granted they had serious players around them.
    We may need to be patient with lads like blanchfield he looks to be low on confidence.id prefer to see someone like conor o shea trying to nail down a spot at this stage of his career but that's not happening either.
    Alan murphy could be an option off the bench when a game opens up.Chris bolger and john walsh seem to be way down the pecking order at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I’d say Forde has more than justified himself as a useful squad player, just needs one more push to become an established starter.

Must admit am a bit surprised at the negative vibes on Blanchfield here, thought he was doing ok if hardly pulling up trees yet. I guess he’s part of a Kilkenny generation not being brought into a thoroughly dominant set up anymore and the likely pressure will be all the greater for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I’d say Forde has more than justified himself as a useful squad player, just needs one more push to become an established starter.

Must admit am a bit surprised at the negative vibes on Blanchfield here, thought he was doing ok if hardly pulling up trees yet. I guess he’s part of a Kilkenny generation not being brought into a thoroughly dominant set up anymore and the likely pressure will be all the greater for it.

blanchfield probably made a name for himself as a scoring forward underage , he has only scored 1 point in this years league , when you compare what the likes of martin keoghan has done , but he is adapting to his new role in the middle , he dosent look like the answer on the half forward line though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Village87

There could be a fixture congestion with the last round of league matches changed. If Kilkenny get to the league final its fixed for the same weekend as the first round of club fixtures. Not ideal for club players changing fixtures at this stage when trying to get in order for the first round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭mrbango

Village87 wrote:
    There could be a fixture congestion with the last round of league matches changed. If Kilkenny get to the league final its fixed for the same weekend as the first round of club fixtures. Not ideal for club players changing fixtures at this stage when trying to get in order for the first round

Will they move club games back to September in that case? Can see a lot of players throwing in the towel if there is only one meaningful game between now and September

• Advertisement

mrbango wrote: »
    Will they move club games back to September in that case? Can see a lot of players throwing in the towel if there is only one meaningful game between now and September

Not sure interesting opinion. Under the new guidelines April is for Clubs only. The 2 rounds are fixed for the 31st March and 1st of April and the 14th/15th April so i presume club fixtures will go back to the weekending 21st/22nd April.Kilkenny have to make the league final first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TommyHilfiger

Village87 wrote: »
    Not sure interesting opinion. Under the new guidelines April is for Clubs only. The 2 rounds are fixed for the 31st March and 1st of April and the 14th/15th April so i presume club fixtures will go back to the weekending 21st/22nd April.Kilkenny have to make the league final first

They are going to have a good look at this again these new guidelines have been a right mess from day one.

They are going to have a good look at this again these new guidelines have been a right mess from day one.

They are going to have to have a good look at this again these new guidelines have been a right mess from day one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

They are going to have to have a good look at this again these new guidelines have been a right mess from day one.

They are going to have to have a good look at this again these new guidelines have been a right mess from day one ....

:D:P:D;)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

What are people's thoughts on this weekend?should be a big crowd and a bit of bite to it.i know it's only the league but with us meeting them later in the year and our recent record this should be one we should be trying to win.
    Will murphy or fogarty be back with the extra week?personally I'd like to get as many games as possible into brennan he made one or two very good saves against tipp and it's good to have him as back-up.
    Ger aylward should be back and it'd be no harm to get a competitive match into him.
    Padraig and delaney will probably come back into defence and donnelly could come back into attack.hopefully mossy gets another run but he looked tired the last day and nothing came off for him.He should have better days.
    Very hard to guess a team but we'd have to be happy with the way things have went so far.Lots of the younger lads have done well but with the league coming to an end and the panel probably being shortened hopefully there'll be another good performance this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

All to play for now on the panel - no other distractions e.g. Fitzgibbon etc. so competition for places should start to hot up.

Is there a set no. of players for the league knock out games?

Have you any suggestions about the fixtures fiasco.

Have you any suggestions about the fixtures fiasco.

Scrap the new championship. This time last year we were in the middle of the league, and looking forward to the big matches in Munster and Wexford v Kilkenny, one big match every Sunday with the occasional Saturday night match, and it didn't disappoint, my weekends were scheduled for these games this time last year and throw in Kilkenny club matches in April/May. Had my fill of hurling.

This year i dont know who is playing where and what matches i can attend. Its like the national league now. The new Championship is hard on the Munster teams also with 2 gone before they have a chance of playing a Leinster team. And club teams are all over the place at present.

www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/282174
    Davey will be without chin and a few others.im not surprised given their through and after playing strong teams throughout he'll need to look at a few other players.im sure we'll make a good few changes aswell.

brookville wrote: »
    Davey will be without chin and a few others.im not surprised given their through and after playing strong teams throughout he'll need to look at a few other players.im sure we'll make a good few changes aswell.

With Kilkenny more or less in the Quater Finals will they experiment also ? Kilkenny have used the same 20 players in the last 4 league matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

There was an interesting piece in one of the paper's yesterday. Davy has used just 23 players this League compared to Galway and Tipp with 30 and Kilkenny with 29. Come mid-summer, some of those lads will have a lot of yearly mileage on the clock, especially if they go to the end of the League. Hard to know how much long-term thinking is going on there.

With Kilkenny more or less in the Quater Finals will they experiment also ? Kilkenny have used the same 20 players in the last 4 league matches

Kk have being making at least five changes per match with the full back line being the most consistent line.id hope to to see a few more new faces this weekend.

Brennan
    Bergin Walsh Deegan
    Delaney Lyng Morrissey

Ollie Walsh James Maher

Blanchfield Richie Reid Scanlon
    John Walsh Donnelly Billy Ryan

Time to try out some more players,
    Buckley, Walter Walsh and TJ have could do with sitting this one out with long year ahead

Brennan
    Bergin Walsh Deegan
    Delaney Lyng Morrissey

Ollie Walsh James Maher

Buckley, Walter Walsh and TJ have could do with sitting this one out with long year ahead

I wouldn't mind seeing that team and them 3 lads rested but I doubt he will to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

Brennan
    Bergin Walsh Deegan
    Delaney Lyng Morrissey

Ollie Walsh James Maher

I wouldn't mind seeing that team and them 3 lads rested but I doubt he will to be honest.
    Wouldn't agree at all, wouldn't like to start without those three guys, a win here is important enough, could be the difference between a quarter final with either Galway or Offaly. Its important that we try to go as far as we can in the league and give us more chances to try out players, also couldn't listen to Wexford lads if they beat us again for the forth time in a row. would also like to see Richie Leahy get another go at midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Irish Beef wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree at all, wouldn't like to start without those three guys, a win here is important enough, could be the difference between a quarter final with either Galway or Offaly. Its important that we try to go as far as we can in the league and give us more chances to try out players, also couldn't listen to Wexford lads if they beat us again for the forth time in a row. would also like to see Richie Leahy get another go at midfield.

I agree. This is a crucial match and it's certainly not the time for experimenting. In fact I'd go all out and strengthen the team where possible. Leahy had to start as do the experienced players to show leadership. A win would be huge confidence booster.

We all agree that the full back line needs attention. Holden's best position is at 2. I'd stick with P Walsh at 3 for now. And I'd start C Delaney at 4 instead of Deegan who was directly responsible for two goals against Tipp.

Its a must win on Sunday especially after the Walsh cup final what has to come.

I know what people are saying about playing all our strongest players available but most teams have taken a different approach to the league.
    Cody will probably pick the strongest team he has no matter the opposition but lads like fogarty or murphy won't be rushed back maybe not like previous years.
    I wouldn't mind seeing buckley,walter or tj rested but these 3 will probably start and tj and walter are probably needed to guide the other 4 inexperienced forwards.
    The full back line will probably be restored to the first 3 matches.joey,walsh,deegan but morrissey probably the best of the full back line the last day.
    Hopefully delaney gets another run in the half back line and browne was also decent against tipp.
    Maher and leahy worked well in the 2nd half granted they probably gave brendan maher to much room.
    His picked lyng and mossy for the four matches on the wing both have done well but didn't reach the same heights the last day.
    Hopefully we might get a look at john walsh or bolger in the full foward line sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Grats wrote: »
    I agree. This is a crucial match and it's certainly not the time for experimenting. In fact I'd go all out and strengthen the team where possible.
    Its a must win on Sunday especially after the Walsh cup final what has to come.

Are ye on the sauce lads, its a dead rubber in every sense of the word.

Read our entire posts.

Read our entire posts.

I did and they make little or no sense to be perfectly honest. It's a perfect chance for Cody to experiment, winning or loosing is irrelevant its a challenge match and has no consequences. In fact one could easily make the argument that a QF against Galway in an actual knockout game would be far more beneficial than a nothing gme against Offaly.

The previous posts clearly state our view of things. They differ from yours. I guess that's understandable.

It shows where we come from you think you know what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HoHohurlin

I know what people are saying about playing all our strongest players available but most teams have taken a different approach to the league.
    Cody will probably pick the strongest team he has no matter the opposition but lads like fogarty or murphy won't be rushed back maybe not like previous years.
    I wouldn't mind seeing buckley,walter or tj rested but these 3 will probably start and tj and walter are probably needed to guide the other 4 inexperienced forwards.
    The full back line will probably be restored to the first 3 matches.joey,walsh,deegan but morrissey probably the best of the full back line the last day.
    Hopefully delaney gets another run in the half back line and browne was also decent against tipp.
    Maher and leahy worked well in the 2nd half granted they probably gave brendan maher to much room.
    His picked lyng and mossy for the four matches on the wing both have done well but didn't reach the same heights the last day.
    Hopefully we might get a look at john walsh or bolger in the full foward line sunday.

i agree about Walsh or Bolger being tried out. Two very dangerous scoring forwards when they get going,exciting to watch. probably won't be seeing them though. Hasn't played them all league so wouldn't expect a change of heart now

• Advertisement

Its far from a dead rubber as far as Kilkenny are concerned, we need to keep momentum going within the team, its fine trying a few different guys here and there but its important to keep a strong core of experience within the team or it could lose its shape, Id like to see the younger guys coming onto a winning team and having the likes of wally and TJ around them.

It shows where we come from you think you know what you are talking about.

I'm sorry you lost me, this sentence actually makes no sense what so ever, care to elaborate?

Its far from a dead rubber as far as Kilkenny are concerned, we need to keep momentum going within the team, its fine trying a few different guys here and there but its important to keep a strong core of experience within the team or it could lose its shape, Id like to see the younger guys coming onto a winning team and having the likes of wally and TJ around them.

I'd agree if it was a case that Wexford were putting out a strong team or if Wexford had something tangible to play for, the reality is they dont and have already confirmed they will be resting some if not all of their leading stars.

I do agree with the sentiment that very little can be learned by throwing a team full of new players together and that the best way to introduce new or inexperienced players is to mix them with the more established players.

But the notion of fielding a stronger more experienced team than has been selected all league is nonsensical and Cody and his management team would learn nothing from going down that route.

I'd agree if it was a case that Wexford were putting out a strong team or if Wexford had something tangible to play for, the reality is they dont and have already confirmed they will be resting some if not all of their leading stars.

I do agree with the sentiment that very little can be learned by throwing a team full of new players together and that the best way to introduce new or inexperienced players is to mix them with the more established players.

But the notion of fielding a stronger more experienced team than has been selected all league is nonsensical and Cody and his management team would learn nothing from going down that route.

Its easy for Davy to be resting guys as he already has six points and he hasn't tried nearly as many guys as us throughout the league, this match is more important for us. There's plenty of room for experimentation on sunday as long as we keep a good level of experience on the field and we can still try a few guys, however as far as I'm concerned a win here is very important and any changes that are made cant get in the way of that happening and I think Cody will be taking a similar approach.

I agree. This is a crucial match and it's certainly not the time for experimenting. In fact I'd go all out and strengthen the team where possible. Leahy had to start as do the experienced players to show leadership. A win would be huge confidence booster.
    There's plenty of room for experimentation on sunday as long as we keep a good level of experience on the field and we can still try a few guys

Ah yeah I wasnt advocating a mass change Beef, I agree with keeping some experienced players on the field, it was the quoted post above that I didnt agree with which id suggesting a full strenght 15, I fail to see how much confidence can be gained from beating a second string Wexford outfit with nothing to play for, teh result on Sunday will have absolutely no bearing on the Leinster Championship and to be honest I think KK can experiment and it won't jeopardise their chances of wining the game and maintaing the momentum. If you dont play a few of the fringe players on Sunday when are you going to play them??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Given that KK have lost to Wexford in their last three competitive meetings, that's one reason for this upcoming match not to be a dead rubber (for KK).

• Advertisement

Given that KK have lost to Wexford in their last three competitive meetings, that's one reason for this upcoming match not to be a dead rubber (for KK).

Thats very true and no harm to put down a marker, just not convinced that it can be quantified in anyway when Wexford are treating it as a warm up for the QF's and if its a dead rubber for one team then its generally the same for the other.

Obviously people don't agree with and I'm sorry I said anything :D so we'll agree to disagree and the discussion can revert to the game in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

If Clare lost KK could top the table.

Thats very true and no harm to put down a marker, just not convinced that it can be quantified in anyway when Wexford are treating it as a warm up for the QF's and if its a dead rubber for one team then its generally the same for the other.

Obviously people don't agree with and I'm sorry I said anything :D so we'll agree to disagree and the discussion can revert to the game in hand.

If KK have a good start... Davy will go ballistic... and it will be anything but a dead rubber! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Any word on Conor Fogarty these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Mankbag

EVERY game is important to Brian Cody.

• Advertisement

Any word on Conor Fogarty these days?

it said on the kilkenny people that he along with eoin murphy could be available,conor had a virus which was difficult to shake off.

As I said previously we should put out the strongest team possible on Sunday. Obviously that's not the same as a full strength team right now as a number of players are still not available. Cody has been experimenting, as Kilkenny supporters well know, and many so called 'fringe players' have been tried. Some have grasped the opportunity and one would expect those to continue to be used along with the few experienced ones we have. That's my idea of the strongest team possible!

If Fogarty, Murphy and Aylward are available they should be used too - particularly Fogarty and Aylward as they've missed out a lot to date.

Davy and others can approach the final round as they see fit but Cody has different needs and focus.

As I said previously we should put out the strongest team possible on Sunday. Obviously that's not the same as a full strength team right now as a number of players are still not available. Cody has been experimenting, as Kilkenny supporters well know, and many so called 'fringe players' have been tried. Some have grasped the opportunity and one would expect those to continue to be used along with the few experienced ones we have. That's my idea of the strongest team possible!

If Fogarty, Murphy and Aylward are available they should be used too - particularly Fogarty and Aylward as they've missed out a lot to date.

Davy and others can approach the final round as they see fit but Cody has different needs and focus.

Cody will be going for the win, make no bones about it. The reason i am stating that Kilkenny try out lads is that they are carrying 50+ hurlers how can these lads all have a got a chance ?

As for Fogarty, hasn't been a loss, Players like Leahy can step in and do the world of hurling, thats what we need from our midfielders now along with working hard.

I think everyone is aware of Leahy's capabilities and would be in agreement with him starting on Sunday. Fogarty has had a virus for some months and if he's fit and well he deserves a run.

I think I read somewhere on this thread that Fogarty had glandular fever.
    If that's the case, it can take a long time to recover from it.

Decent article outlining the permutations for the final round of fixtures:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0308/945977-the-permutations-ahead-of-decisive-hurling-weekend/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

A few players were dropped from the Kilkenny panel this week. Sean Morrissey and Chris Bolger were definitely two and there was one or two more that were cut.

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    A few players were dropped from the Kilkenny panel this week. Sean Morrissey and Chris Bolger were definitely two and there was one or two more that were cut.

Not shocked about Bolger but a little dissapointed.I heard he wasn't great in the 2 recent challenge matches.he has time on his side tho hopefully he can force his way back into the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Well if bolger is dropped surely conor martin should be joining him.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Well if bolger is dropped surely conor martin should be joining him.

I'm thinking the same bolger played well for clara last year, he scored against laois in the Walsh Cup and not played since I heard he did OK in the challenge matches. Connor Martin has been poor least bolger is capable of getting a goal

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement