Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Ok, i will spell it out for you again! I think Tipp are the best team in the country

Based on what exactly? Their overflowing trophy cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Based on what exactly? Their overflowing trophy cabinet?

There has been no trophies handed out yet in 2018! Based on what i have seen of Tipp so far this season and over the last number years i think the have the most talented panel of hurlers in the country at the moment! I think they are the most likely All Ireland winners but wouldn't be surprised if the came up short by a point or 2 in a semi or a final as they have done in recent years. A free to win with the last puck of the game in'14, missed, and replay lost by 3 points, followed by single point defeats to Galway in '15 and '17 being three examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Back to discussing KILKENNY hurling! TJ has found his form of old. For our sake he needs to keep it up. He was man of the match today and was the last day too in my view. Thought his brother Richie could have been brought on in midfield today. Would have switched Leahy into the forwards in second half as he had tired. The 'rest' inside might have given him a second wind. His three points were brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I missed who got motm. Anyone enlighten me plz

E. Morrissey got it on KCLR!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

danganabu wrote: »
    Good lad :D

And if you think that the Tipp and Waterford teams today are the strongest available you are a far bigger fool than I was giving you credit for!

Care to actually name any players who were available to either team today and didn't see some action or are you just going to continue to spoof?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

Wexford are a very good side to measure the new kk guys against, as they are very very physical, and if the younger lads can’t manage these players they will struggle badly against sides like Dublin and Galway who are every bit if not more physical.
    Thought TJ carried a number of players today and was disappointed with our lack of goal threat. Leahy and Maher are grand in the open play but will give you nothing in a match that requires fighting for the ball. Wexford got more physical in the second half and these two went out of it then. But to be fair to the younger lads they are a couple of seasons behind in the strength and conditioning stakes.
    Kk will be very lucky to make the semi finals of the championship and won’t go further. Cody has to push these younger guys and be planning for life after TJ and Richie as I don’t see us winnng another all-Ireland in the next two years and they’ll be gone after that.
    Hopefully DJ is pushing the U-21s very hard, both those on the team and those on the fringes of the panel, from a physical as well as hurling style viewpoint, or else it will take Cody years to develop the next all Ireland winn8ng side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

There has been no trophies handed out yet in 2018! Based on what i have seen of Tipp so far this season and over the last number years i think the have the most talented panel of hurlers in the country at the moment! I think they are the most likely All Ireland winners but wouldn't be surprised if the came up short by a point or 2 in a semi or a final as they have done in recent years. A free to win with the last puck of the game in'14, missed, and replay lost by 3 points, followed by single point defeats to Galway in '15 and '17 being three examples.

To give Tipperary their due I don't get the issue about defeats in tight matches as being a big problem. Would they be more convincing of they got well beaten? Hardly. I think that's probably a good sign of competitiveness that they have not been hammered out of sight in important games.

But, they played in three competitions last year and won none, getting to the final of only the easiest one and that was a savage beating.

Chances are when they exit the championship they will do so narrowly but that's because the championship is quite even and not because of some cliched psychological issues such as "being Tipperary". Part of this probably is Kilkenny people secretly rating Tipperary very very highly because they beat them so well in 2016. But several teams would have beaten Kilkenny that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I didn't see the match. How did Ger Aylward perform?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Village87

Had a busy game game, worked hard. Seems to lack the yard of pace he once had maybe it will come to him with more sharpness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

As others have said, I thought Darren Brennan did really well in goals again yesterday, what about that pass to Holden in the second half, real quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    As others have said, I thought Darren Brennan did really well in goals again yesterday, what about that pass to Holden in the second half, real quality.

Would Eoin Murphy be good enough to play outfield and leave Brennan in goals?
    Murphy is obviously an exceptional goalie, but it's a pity to have 1 of these 2 sitting on the bench.

Murphy is obviously an exceptional goalie, but it's a pity to have 1 of these 2 sitting on the bench.

Cant say i agree with this, Murphy is the best goal keeper in the country at present by a distance. Tried with Richie Reid and didn't work now he has lost his place as sub goalie. Debatable weather Eoin Murphy is good enough to make it outfield

Nope, he's the best goalie in the country so he should be left there. This injury though is probably a blessing in disguise in that it allows Darren Brennan to get a bit of game time in case we do need him again later in the summer.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    To give Tipperary their due I don't get the issue about defeats in tight matches as being a big problem. Would they be more convincing of they got well beaten? Hardly. I think that's probably a good sign of competitiveness that they have not been hammered out of sight in important games.

But, they played in three competitions last year and won none, getting to the final of only the easiest one and that was a savage beating.

Chances are when they exit the championship they will do so narrowly but that's because the championship is quite even and not because of some cliched psychological issues such as "being Tipperary". Part of this probably is Kilkenny people secretly rating Tipperary very very highly because they beat them so well in 2016. But several teams would have beaten Kilkenny that day.

I would actually take the complete opposite view, i think very occasional hammerings in big games can be written off as "a bad day at the office" we suffered a few ourselves back in the day ('11 League Final, '12 Leinster Final) and subsequently won the All Ireland. Whereas a team that has a bit of a reputation for coming out the wrong side of tight matches can have their ability to get the job done questioned, you can't be unlucky all the time!

But i guess that is opinions, peoples can differ.

Yeah, Ger had a curate's egg of a game. Hit a few wides and first touch was a bit roapy(missed a few pick ups on the run) but on the plus side worked his socks off, scored a point and was fouled for 3 converted frees. I thought he looked extremely fit so obviously he has been working very hard behind the scenes as well. Would imagine the touch will improve and he will get his eye in with game time so really hope he starts next weekend. If we could get him back to his '15 form he would be a huge addition to the forwards.

Did Offaly get the home venue ?

Village87 wrote: »

Still down as TBC on gaa and kkgaa websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Still down as TBC on gaa and kkgaa websites.

Toin coss today it'd be nice to get it at home but I wouldn't begrudge offally home venue.hopefully a few are rested

brookville wrote: »
    Toin coss today it'd be nice to get it at home but I wouldn't begrudge offally home venue.hopefully a few are rested

They'll have plenty of time to be resting next winter, really now time to be throwing a bit of as shape on our championship team.

The goalie and full back line are nailed down(since Paul Murphy is unlikely to be available for the Dublin match), Cillian at 6 and would imagine the 7 jersey is Enda Morrisseys to lose, Richie Leahy a definite at midfield and TJ, Wally and Richie Hogan in the forwards(if he can get a bit of game time with the club).

So my reading of it would be that there's probably 5 places up for grabs.

• Advertisement

They'll have plenty of time to be resting next winter, really now time to be throwing a bit of as shape on our championship team.

The goalie and full back line are nailed down(since Paul Murphy is unlikely to be available for the Dublin match), Cillian at 6 and would imagine the 7 jersey is Enda Morrisseys to lose, Richie Leahy a definite at midfield and TJ, Wally and Richie Hogan in the forwards(if he can get a bit of game time with the club).

So my reading of it would be that there's probably 5 places up for grabs.

Colin Fennelly and Paul Murphy should be out of the equation until after Wexford game which is maybe 2/3 weeks after they return to the country. Look to them for a Leinster final/all Ireland Quarter final onwards.

Team is starting to take shape, very hard/unrealistic to change from the winning formula of Morrissey wing back, Lyng & Keoghan wing forwards and Maher and Leahy in midfield. Cant see the full back line changing much before championship now either. Padraig Walsh, Cillian Buckley TJ Reid and Walter Walsh vital to this down the middle. Id say Cody now has 11/12 of his team in mind for the Dublin match

Colin Fennelly and Paul Murphy should be out of the equation until after Wexford game which is maybe 2/3 weeks after they return to the country. Look to them for a Leinster final/all Ireland Quarter final onwards.

Team is starting to take shape, very hard/unrealistic to change from the winning formula of Morrissey wing back, Lyng & Keoghan wing forwards and Maher and Leahy in midfield. Cant see the full back line changing much before championship now either. Padraig Walsh, Cillian Buckley TJ Reid and Walter Walsh vital to this down the middle. Id say Cody now has 11/12 of his team in mind for the Dublin match

When are fennelly and murphy back?Jason cleere and Kevin kelly have a bit to go aswell and are 2 who would be close to starting in the summer

When are fennelly and murphy back?Jason cleere and Kevin kelly have a bit to go aswell and are 2 who would be close to starting in the summer

2nd week in May

Reading the last few posts regarding make up of team for the Championship no poster has mentioned Paddy Deegan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Grats wrote: »
    Reading the last few posts regarding make up of team for the Championship no poster has mentioned Paddy Deegan!

OOps......

Sorry Paddy !! ...

:D:p:D:D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Ah, part of the nailed down full back line with Holden and Walsh!

• Advertisement

Ah, part of the nailed down full back line with Holden and Walsh!

Apologies, missed that. Thanks, Paddy!

I said the full back line stay as it is.
    Personally i would not have him on the team. Tipp will have spotted a weakness when Breen went across on him. Same when Shan O Donnell was on him for the Clare game. I doubt Cody will change it up now

We are in Tullamore.

Tullamore be very soft

We are in Tullamore.

I see it's down for one o clock is it a double header?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

We are in Tullamore.

I see it's down for one o clock is it a double header?

I see Offaly are down to play Sligo in football at 2pm but I'd say that game will be pushed back to 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HoHohurlin

Topcat32 wrote: »
    I think its more the fact that John Walsh is too small and light for intercounty hurling at the moment rather than his attitude, doesn't have the pace or skill to make up for it. Hopefully he will at some stage in the future.

I'm sorry but the two things John Walsh has in abundance are speed and skill ,he used to sprint when he was younger and I believe he used to run the 100ms in under 13 seconds

I'm happy enough with the defence but unfortunately Paddy Deegan is a major weakness. Most teams have targeted him with good success. 2 goals were scored off him in a game he was amazingly named man of the match (baffling).

For the first game of the championship I'd go with the below back 7;

E.Murphy
    J.Holden
    P.Walsh
    E.Morrissey
    C.Delaney
    C.Buckley
    C.Fogarty

Leahy is nailed on at midfield. He ran himself in to the ground yesterday, as did Maher. I'd like to see Maher and Lyng switch. For all the workrate Lyng brings to the team he just isn't a natural scoring forward. I think he would be more suited at midfield and Maher would score more in the forwards than him.

In the forwards the below are nailed on if fit and on form;

TJ
    Walter
    Hogan
    Donnelly
    Alyward

After that the remaining place is wide open for any one of the below;

Lyng
    Maher
    Keoghan
    Blanchfield
    Scanlon
    Murphy

I don't think any of the below will push on this year;

Billy Ryan
    Kelly
    Sheehan
    Martin
    Reid

The league has been useful so far. Other than the Cork game they are trying to play a new brand of hurling. They are also trying things they didn't have to when we were so much better than every other team eg. wearing GPS trackers, McGarry sitting up in the stand for some of the game and Lyng wearing an earpiece. Every little helps now that we are no longer the force we once were.

We could easily end up in a league final now which would be bonus territory so early on in our rebuilding process. If we could get back to Croke Park for a Leinster Final and end up in an All-Ireland semi final by either winning that (unlikely) or the All-Ireland quarter final it would show continued progress.

SteJer wrote: »
    I'm happy enough with the defence but unfortunately Paddy Deegan is a major weakness. Most teams have targeted him with good success. 2 goals were scored off him in a game he was amazingly named man of the match (baffling).

E.Murphy
    J.Holden
    P.Walsh
    E.Morrissey
    C.Delaney
    C.Buckley
    C.Fogarty

Leahy is nailed on at midfield. He ran himself in to the ground yesterday, as did Maher. I'd like to see Maher and Lyng switch. For all the workrate Lyng brings to the team he just isn't a natural scoring forward. I think he would be more suited at midfield and Maher would score more in the forwards than him.

TJ
    Walter
    Hogan
    Donnelly
    Alyward

Lyng
    Maher
    Keoghan
    Blanchfield
    Scanlon
    Murphy

Billy Ryan
    Kelly
    Sheehan
    Martin
    Reid

The league has been useful so far. Other than the Cork game they are trying to play a new brand of hurling. They are also trying things they didn't have to when we were so much better than every other team eg. wearing GPS trackers, McGarry sitting up in the stand for some of the game and Lyng wearing an earpiece. Every little helps now that we are no longer the force we once were.

We could easily end up in a league final now which would be bonus territory so early on in our rebuilding process. If we could get back to Croke Park for a Leinster Final and end up in an All-Ireland semi final by either winning that (unlikely) or the All-Ireland quarter final it would show continued progress.

Completely disagree, James Maher did all his underage hurling at half back or midfield, saw him twice last year at centre forward for the club and you wouldn't have picked him out as a senior inter county hurler in a month of Sundays. If i was switching him in any direction it would back the way to the half back line.

Completely disagree, James Maher did all his underage hurling at half back or midfield, saw him twice last year at centre forward for the club and you wouldn't have picked him out as a senior inter county hurler in a month of Sundays. If i was switching him in any direction it would back the way to the half back line.

You completely disagree with my entire post or just the few sentences about Maher & Lyng? I didn't say he was our answer in the forwards I just said he would be better than Lyng (also a back/midfielder) in the forwards. Do you not agree with that? I wouldn't have either of them in the forwards. I love their workrate & enthusiasm but they are not natural scorers.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Kelly if fit would start in the forwards for me.also fogarty at midfield with leahy.like the look of browne and would like to see more of him.
    My team at the moment if all fit and available
    1E.murphy
    2.p. murphy
    3.p walsh (would prefer at half back but nobody else given a go)
    4.joey
    5.delaney
    6.bucko
    7.browne
    8.fogarty
    9.leahy
    10.wally
    11. Richie
    12 tj
    13 kelly
    14. Colin
    15 .ger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Anyone know when TG4 or Eirsport will announce their schedule for the quarter finals? I fear that our game against Offaly won't be televised as Wexford vs Galway and Limerick vs Clare are probably more even games on paper at least. I'm relying on GAA GO which takes their coverage from whatever channel broadcasts it. I've been lucky enough to get all of our games so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kkman00

E.Murphy
    J.Holden
    P.Walsh
    E.Morrissey
    C.Delaney
    C.Buckley
    C.Fogarty

TJ
    Walter
    Hogan
    Donnelly
    Alyward

Lyng
    Maher
    Keoghan
    Blanchfield
    Scanlon
    Murphy

Billy Ryan
    Kelly
    Sheehan
    Martin
    Reid

Disagree on your view that Donnelly is a guaranteed starter. I'd be a big fan of him but his lack of pace could really come against him in fast championship games in the summer time. I also think some people forget he's still the same age as mossy keoghan so time is defiently on his side but I fear pace will always be a problem for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Care to actually name any players who were available to either team today and didn't see some action or are you just going to continue to spoof?

Ah lets see, Paul Maher, Mickey Cahill, Seamus Kennedy, James Barry, Noel McGrath just to name a few from Tipp and the claim that Ronan Maher was back in his best position is comedy gold, never played wing back ever in a championship match. Tipp had 6 players starting that started last years AI semi bit according to you and your fanboy they had their strongest team out lol :D:D:D

E.Murphy
    J.Holden
    P.Walsh
    E.Morrissey
    C.Delaney
    C.Buckley
    C.Fogarty

TJ
    Walter
    Hogan
    Donnelly
    Alyward

Lyng
    Maher
    Keoghan
    Blanchfield
    Scanlon
    Murphy

Billy Ryan
    Kelly
    Sheehan
    Martin
    Reid

Very positive and insightful post. An excellent starting point as we approach the latter stages of the league and look forward to the Leinster Championship.

I would go with the six backs you named but not necessarily in those positions. I think Buckley's best position is wing back. I'm also not sure about Morrissey in the corner but I definitely wouldn't start Deegan, a decent sub perhaps.

Leahy at midfield certainly but I would interchange him between there and the forwards on occasion to get him nearer to goal. His willingness to take his man could could lead to close in frees or penalties. As regards a midfield partner for him I'm not sure of. Perhaps Lyng or Maher if he continues to progress.

I'm hoping R Hogan will find his form of old. The other four nailed on forwards you mention I agree with. The remaining one/two places are there to be won. But we'll need 8/9 forwards anyway with games on weekly in May/June.

I'd like to think our new game plan would suit a player like K Kelly. Hope he gets some hurling under his belt soon.

Jason Cleere would be a great addition in the backs if he gets back. Along with Conor O'Shea and Deegan he would cover likely absentees through injury etc.

• Advertisement

You completely disagree with my entire post or just the few sentences about Maher & Lyng? I didn't say he was our answer in the forwards I just said he would be better than Lyng (also a back/midfielder) in the forwards. Do you not agree with that? I wouldn't have either of them in the forwards. I love their workrate & enthusiasm but they are not natural scorers.

The highlighted bit, dude. Don't think taking a guy out of his best position( Maher at midfield) into a position where i think he is much less effective makes any sense. It's an exercise in fitting square pegs into round holes.

Agree that Lyng is far from a definite starter for the Championship. But who do we replace him with? Blanchfield, Scanlon, Alan Murphy? Hopefully Richie Hogan and Colin Fennelly will become options at some stage.

v3ttel wrote: »
    Anyone know when TG4 or Eirsport will announce their schedule for the quarter finals? I fear that our game against Offaly won't be televised as Wexford vs Galway and Limerick vs Clare are probably more even games on paper at least. I'm relying on GAA GO which takes their coverage from whatever channel broadcasts it. I've been lucky enough to get all of our games so far.

Very little chance of our game being televised. Think you will have to rely on Ronnie on the local radio, entertaining in itself!:D

Ah lets see, Paul Maher, Mickey Cahill, Seamus Kennedy, James Barry, Noel McGrath just to name a few from Tipp and the claim that Ronan Maher was back in his best position is comedy gold, never played wing back ever in a championship match. Tipp had 6 players starting that started last years AI semi bit according to you and your fanboy they had their strongest team out lol :D:D:D

Exactly my point. Tipp played the strongest team available. Most of the players you mentioned haven't being playing well. That's two games in a row Noel McGrath has missed. If he was playing well enough in training Ryan would be starting him. Most honest Tipp supporters know they need better options than Cahill & Kennedy. James Barry might just hold on to his place but if he does it will only be because they didn't find a suitable replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Exactly my point. Tipp played the strongest team available. Most of the players you mentioned haven't being playing well. That's two games in a row Noel McGrath has missed. If he was playing well enough in training Ryan would be starting him. Most honest Tipp supporters know they need better options than Cahill & Kennedy. James Barry might just hold on to his place but if he does it will only be because they didn't find a suitable replacement.

Noel McGrath was man of the match in two of the three matches that he started :D spoofer indeed

I think morrissey is better suited to half back but he probably needs time to fill out.
    I think we're blessed to have brennan as back-up for murphy his very assured and confident for a young lad and these games are great for him.
    There's no doubt we have some good young hurlers but it's obvious lads like scanlon and leahy need time to bulk out it won't happen over night.
    Kevin kelly won't be back for bout 2 month so I dunno how he'll fare out in the summer.
    Jason cleere has to get his fitness up so he'll probably use the club to work on that.
    It's a pity cleere and kelly aren't available.
    I also agree browne looks good and a few matches into him would be no harm.

Kkman00 wrote: »
    Disagree on your view that Donnelly is a guaranteed starter. I'd be a big fan of him but his lack of pace could really come against him in fast championship games in the summer time. I also think some people forget he's still the same age as mossy keoghan so time is defiently on his side but I fear pace will always be a problem for him

I don't disagree with what you are saying but Donnelly is a Cody type player. Cody has never put too much emphasis on speed. If a lad is big enough and strong enough to play Championship hurling he gives them a chance. Similar to Walter in 2012 and Blanchfield in 2016. Donnelly also has a great hand on him and well able to take a score of given a chance. Other than TJ & Walter very few of our forwards would have scored the point he got yesterday. A mixture of strength, determination and skill.

Noel McGrath was man of the match in two of the three matches that he started :D spoofer indeed

Not sure what games he was watching Noel McGrath was outstanding in the games he played!

He must not be going well at the moment or struggling with an injury otherwise Ryan would be starting him or at least bringing him on.

Not sure what games he was watching Noel McGrath was outstanding in the games he played!

Did I say Noel McGrath hadn't played well in the league? I said most of the players mentioned weren't playing well. Noel McGrath was the obvious exception. For him I referenced the fact Ryan hasn't started him or brought him on in the last two matches even though they are down a lot of forwards. Maybe he's not going well in training or maybe he's struggling with an injury.

• Advertisement

He's obviously not going well at the moment or Ryan would be starting him or at least bringing him on. Maybe a knowledgeable Tipp supporter might be able to shed some light on this. Although I don't expect to find many on a Kilkenny hurling forum.

I would imagine Micheal Ryan knows at this stage what Noel McGrath is all about and he was outstanding in the games he's played in and is using the opportunity to give game time to other guys rather than him "not going well in training"!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement