Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

I would imagine Micheal Ryan knows at this stage what Noel McGrath is all about and he was outstanding in the games he's played in and is using the opportunity to give game time to other guys rather than him "not going well in training"!

Maybe. Hard to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

SteJer wrote: »
    Did I say Noel McGrath hadn't played well in the league? I said most of the players mentioned weren't playing well. Noel McGrath was the obvious exception. For him I referenced the fact Ryan hasn't started him or brought him on in the last two matches even though they are down a lot of forwards. Maybe he's not going well in training or maybe he's struggling with an injury.

Ok show me where you said Noel McGrath was "the obvious exception"?

Ok show me where you said Noel McGrath was "the obvious exception"?

I said most (not all) the players mentioned have not played well in the league. The fact I didn't say McGrath did not play well in the games he has played in makes him the obvious exception. Paul Maher has done well so far too.

I said most (not all) the players mentioned have not played well in the league. The fact I didn't say McGrath did not play well in the games he has played in makes him the obvious exception. Paul Maher has done well so far too.

Well you mentioned Noel McGrath in the next sentence so i guess myself and the other postered inferred you were suggesting that Noel McGrath wasn't playing well and hence they reason he hasn't played the last two games! Well ain't we very silly boys!:rolleyes:

Well you mentioned Noel McGrath in the next sentence so i guess myself and the other postered inferred you were suggesting that Noel McGrath wasn't playing well and hence they reason he hasn't played the last two games! Well ain't we very silly boys!:rolleyes:

Well I suppose ye have learned a valuable lesson of the importance of reading something carefully and not assuming things. Apology accepted.

• Advertisement

Well I suppose ye have learned a valuable lesson of the importance of reading something carefully and not assuming things. Apology accepted.

Dude, that was sarcasm! You clearly inferred that Noel McGrath wasn't selected for the last two games because he wasn't playing well! As the other poster said you are a spoofer!!:D

Dude, that was sarcasm! You clearly inferred that Noel McGrath wasn't selected for the last two games because he wasn't playing well! As the other poster said you are a spoofer!!:D

Wow that apology lasted all of 10 minutes!!

So when I say Noel McGrath mustn't be going well in training or else he would have started the last two matches you instead see the words Noel McGrath hasn't played well in the league so has been dropped for the last two matches!! Huge difference between the two. Off to Specsavers with you I think.

Wow that apology lasted all of 10 minutes!!

So when I say Noel McGrath mustn't be going well in training or else he would have started the last two matches you instead see the words Noel McGrath hasn't played well in the league so has been dropped for the last two matches!! Huge difference between the two. Off to Specsavers with you I think.

What apology? I never apologised for anything! What was there to apologise for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Can you pm each other if ye want to talk about Tipp or take it to the Tipp thread. Ye are making yourselves look silly and no one is interested in your spat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Noel has a broken thumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Village87

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Kelly if fit would start in the forwards for me.also fogarty at midfield with leahy.like the look of browne and would like to see more of him.
    My team at the moment if all fit and available
    1E.murphy
    2.p. murphy
    3.p walsh (would prefer at half back but nobody else given a go)
    4.joey
    5.delaney
    6.bucko
    7.browne
    8.fogarty
    9.leahy
    10.wally
    11. Richie
    12 tj
    13 kelly
    14. Colin
    15 .ger

That team is grand in theory but Fennelly Murphy & kelly will be missing for all of May

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Village87 wrote: »
    That team is grand in theory but Fennelly Murphy & kelly will be missing for all of May

I agree with you it's going to be very hard for the 3 above to get up to speed against teams targeting may.
    Kelly had an operation after the club final and cleere a few months ago it'll be harder for them.

Talking to someone close to the Kilkenny camp this morning and according to him if we get through next weekend the arrangements for the semis are if it's Galway it will be played in Limerick and if it's Wexford it will be a toss for home venue. Apparently it will also be on the Saturday the reason for which he didn't know. If that doesn't turn out to be true please please don't shoot the messenger! Just thought i would pass it on.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Noel has a broken thumb.

That answers why he's currently not available so.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

The guy who's impressed me the most in the league so far is Joey Holden!
    I just think he's shown unbelievable character to come back this year and get himself into very good form.
    I doubt any player has ever got a roasting in an all ireland the likes Joey suffered in 2016 and last season his confidence was clearly shattered from it.
    But despite this and despite the groans from most supporters when he has continuously been named, he's turned out 3 or 4 very good performances this year and is playing from the front now.

I just think he's shown unbelievable mental strength and fair play to the lad, many a man wouldn't have come back from that 2016 experience.

minty81 wrote: »
    I just think he's shown unbelievable character to come back this year and get himself into very good form.
    I doubt any player has ever got a roasting in an all ireland the likes Joey suffered in 2016 and last season his confidence was clearly shattered from it.
    But despite this and despite the groans from most supporters when he has continuously been named, he's turned out 3 or 4 very good performances this year and is playing from the front now.

I just think he's shown unbelievable mental strength and fair play to the lad, many a man wouldn't have come back from that 2016 experience.

Have to agree with this I know at times your only waiting for him to be roasted but credit where it's due he has being consistent for us so far and fair play to him.
    It also must be said padraig is slowly turning into a full back i know his such a good hurler but lads like paul murphy and jackie have struggled in the past in that position padraig is just so confident and such a good hurler we'd love to have him further out the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

brookville wrote: »
    Have to agree with this I know at times your only waiting for him to be roasted but credit where it's due he has being consistent for us so far and fair play to him.
    It also must be said padraig is slowly turning into a full back i know his such a good hurler but lads like paul murphy and jackie have struggled in the past in that position padraig is just so confident and such a good hurler we'd love to have him further out the field.

I'm happy enough with Holden in the corner but think he struggles a lot at full. Agree about Walsh, would still love to see him playing wing back for us, his instinct is to drive forward in possession, but he seems to have grasped the changing nature of the role of a full back in the modern game.

Jackie Tyrell had a good article about this last year, where he noted that the idea of the full back as an imposing presence minding the square is obsolete, that nowadays he serves more as a kind of man-marker across the full back line, and is much more likely to have to move out from the goals. And yet he still has to mind the square as well. So it's hard to find someone capable of both imposing himself on the space and being able to man-mark AND having the hurling brain to know when to do which thing. That decision making was always there, but his point is that it's less about dealing with high ball and so on, and more dealing with forwards who will create and use space in front of you.

Anyway his main point was that the demands of it are higher now, and in addition to needing a fantastic player, it also takes a lot of time. Looks now to me like Padraig Walsh is showing the benefits of that investment of time. I have to admit I had no real faith in the project but he seems to be coming good (lot of work still to be done and there's no good plan B!)

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/jackie-tyrrell-old-style-full-back-an-endangered-species-1.3168609

Holden is going well so far in the league but the problem is that most teams are going to try drag Walsh out from full back and isolate Holden in there. Holden is just about ok in the corner with Walsh beside him but I'd have very little confidence in him if isolated by the opposition in front of goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Silly talk in some of the media about taking Murphy out of the goal and playing him out the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TommyHilfiger

Is Joe Lyng dropped from the panel, or is he leaving it due to work commitments abroad.

• Advertisement

Holden is going well so far in the league but the problem is that most teams are going to try drag Walsh out from full back and isolate Holden in there. Holden is just about ok in the corner with Walsh beside him but I'd have very little confidence in him if isolated by the opposition in front of goal.
    Was it the tipp match he played full back? The lesson that day was to pump high ball in on top of him all day, he struggles when he's isolated like that

Im not that conivniced, struggled against Harnedy down in Cork. Struggled in the 2nd half against Tipperary. Kilkenny had an extra back against Wexford. Summer hurling is different

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

In fairness to Joey any back would have struggled on Callinan in 2016 given the form he was in and the space he had.

Was it the tipp match he played full back? The lesson that day was to pump high ball in on top of him all day, he struggles when he's isolated like that

Yep. And that's clearly a weakness in Joey's game, while he's tall he lacks the physical strength under the dropping ball. Harnedy, Conlon and Callanan have all caused him problems over the last couple of seasons and Tipp clearly targeted him in the second half when the went 7 points down by bringing on Russell and putting him on Joey and going direct and it worked. He obviously is less susceptible to that sort of tactic in the corner and can also gamble a bit more by hurling from the front in there too which he has been doing quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Silly talk in some of the media about taking Murphy out of the goal and playing him out the field.

In other words some 'journo' read a couple of the comments on this thread and made an article out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Some journalist/hack must have read it on here the other day, and thought he had a scoop !!!! :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Im not that conivniced, struggled against Harnedy down in Cork. Struggled in the 2nd half against Tipperary. Kilkenny had an extra back against Wexford. Summer hurling is different

I think, if I'm not mistaken, is they are saying that Joey has shown great courge to come back in and force his way back into team after 2016. Callanan got all the plaudits - therefore Joey was hammered (not all his fault). So the easy thing would be disappear but fair play to him for keep plugging away.

He still looks shakey at times in the corner but hopefully his confidence keeps improving and he builds on that.

What kind of team would we like to see this weekend?lots of outsiders probably see this as a comfortable win but offally are improving which is great to see because we need them competitive.They won't be afraid to use the hurl and gave us a scare a few months ago in the walsh cup.
    We have a realistic chance of getting to a league final which many of us wouldn't have predicted twenty minutes into the clare match.We're getting game time into lots of inexperienced lads which will hopefully benefit us in this rebuild.
    Murphy looks to be still out so I expect 1-9 to stay more or less the same.
    Id like to see a few changes up front I thought we struggled badly especially at times in the 2nd half.
    This weekend probaly wouldnt suit lads like scanlon or billy ryan we'll probably go for size.
    Hopefully there's a few changes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Just heard Tullamore pitch is to be examined tomorrow, if it doesn't pass the match will be played in Kilkenny instead. Pitch is very wet apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

laneykin wrote: »
    Just heard Tullamore pitch is to be examined tomorrow, if it doesn't pass the match will be played in Kilkenny instead. Pitch is very wet apparently.

With the forecast this weekend, there is a strong possibility of postponements. That will cause havoc with the fixtures list.

With the rules about having the Month of April free for clubs when would the league final take place ?

With the rules about having the Month of April free for clubs when would the league final take place ?
    If I were a betting man I would say that some rules are treated more like guidelines.

If I were a betting man I would say that some rules are treated more like guidelines.

Maybe just leave April to County teams have the All Irelands finished up by the end of July and let the clubs go at it from August to November.

its just getting out of hand for clubs now. At least this way is the year is split in 2 and club players know when there games take place. Also dont have to interfere with county teams

Maybe just leave April to County teams have the All Irelands finished up by the end of July and let the clubs go at it from August to November.

Too sensible, will never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Kilkenny v Off

D Brennan J Holden P Walsh P Deegan C DelaneyC Buckley C Browne R Leahy O Walsh L Blanchfield TJ Reid J Maher G Aylward W Walsh R Reid Subs E Morrissey C oShea R Lennon L Ryan P Lyng L Scanlon J Donnelly A Murphy C Martin B Ryan B Sheehan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kilkenny v Off
    D Brennan
    J Holden P Walsh P Deegan
    C Delaney C Buckley C Browne
    R Leahy O Walsh
    L Blanchfield TJ Reid J Maher
    G Aylward W Walsh R Reid
    Subs
    E Morrissey
    C O'Shea
    R Lennon
    L Ryan
    P Lyng
    L Scanlon
    J Donnelly
    A Murphy
    C Martin
    B Ryan
    B Sheehan

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BORO BILL

Kilkenny v Off
    D Brennan
    J Holden P Walsh P Deegan
    C Delaney C Buckley C Browne
    R Leahy O Walsh
    L Blanchfield TJ Reid J Maher
    G Aylward W Walsh R Reid
    Subs
    E Morrissey
    C O'Shea
    R Lennon
    L Ryan
    P Lyng
    L Scanlon
    J Donnelly
    A Murphy
    C Martin
    B Ryan
    B Sheehan

Glad some of the younger lads are rested. It’s hard going on them in very testing conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Just on the pitches. With the first rd of the club on April 1st .are any club pitches open yet.it would make since to call off the first rd .teams need a chance to get in games

Not surprisingly his gone for blanchfield and richie reid there's a bit more size to them.Is mossy injured?browne deserves another run im a bit surprised to see him change the mf but maher seems to have improved his finishing so hopefully he can chip in with a few points.
    Richie reid is not a corner foward altho positions don't mean much but at least himself and walsh are getting another run after their clare performance.
    Happy to see that Sheehan is still on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Might not be the forum lads but did you see the minor camogie reult.dublin 2-15 kk 0-2.anyone know anything about kk team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 The sensation

Looks like the game will be off today, lots of snow in Tullamore this morning

Looks like the game will be off today, lots of snow in Tullamore this morning[/quote

Hard to see much going ahead today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The sensation

Looks like the game will be off today, lots of snow in Tullamore this morning[/quote

Hard to see much going ahead today.

Officially off now refixture details later today

Officially off now refixture details later today

Looks like there going to try play it tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Looks like there going to try play it tomorrow

Limerick v Clare only hurling match on today.
    Others refixed for tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Limerick v Clare only hurling match on today.
    Others refixed for tomorrow

Does that include the relegation play off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭zetecescort

KevIRL wrote: »

Does that include the relegation play off?

Relegation game still on, only starting to get light snowfall in Cork now

http://www.gaa.ie/news/allianz-league-fixture-postponements/

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Limerick - Clare fallen foul of the snow now too. I hope TG4 will still televise the matches it was planning to.

Will the matches even go ahead tomor providing the snow stops tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

https://mobile.twitter.com/officialgaa

1:30pm throw in.
    Dublin/tipp and wexford/Galway postponed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement