Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Anyone know which stand season ticket holders are in in tullamore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Any chance tg4 show the game now?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Poor enough first half.
    Not fast enough moving the ball and very sloppy defending to leave in the goal.
    Midfield being shoved around. Would expect Lester to be brought in to strengthen it up.
    Maher poor at left half forward. A little better on the right.
    Blanchfield poor too.
    Hopefully better fare in the 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

TJ sounds like he's having another big game. Leahy sounds like he's doing OK too. For anyone who is there, is it more Offaly having raised their game or Kilkenny playing badly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

48 mins played: Offaly 1-11 KK 0-16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I realise commentary is an extremely difficult job. Like, really really hard. But listening to a game on KCLR is so painful.

I realise commentary is an extremely difficult job. Like, really really hard. But listening to a game on KCLR is so painful.

I'm listening to it on Midlands 103 because the KCLR stream is down (not unusual) and I was too lazy to go and find my earphones for the aerial. In fairness, their excitement is quite infectious. I've never had much time for Offaly but it'd be hard not to will them on with this commentary if it wasn't Kilkenny they were playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

Was that John Hoyne? Holy Jesus give us a few words over the course of the hour

The problem with KCLR's commentary now is it sounds completely disinterested. There used to be a fella who was half decent and would get very excited at times. He does stuff on TV now I think with the likes of Premier Sports or Eir.

Probably no harm to the rebuilding process. After beating Waterford, Tipperary and Wexford the heads could have started to inflate a bit, this should bring everyone back down to Earth. I've also had a feeling for a while that Offaly are slowly building up. They put it up to us in the Walsh Cup and looked decent against Dublin in the first round of the league. They had a poor enough rest of the league but that's often part of building and they've put in a good show today. Not saying I expect them to be winning Leinsters and certainly not All Irelands anytime soon but I think the days of teams steamrollering them are coming to a halt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

With all due respect to Adrain Ronan, who I have no doubt knows his stuff, but he is a woeful commentator. Struggles to get his sentences out more often than not. Thank God, Brendan and Michael will be available for the Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Couldn't attend due to a family event but heard bits and pieces but it sounded that offally were full value and fair play to them.
    It sounded that tj and walter were the difference.i expected offally to give us a rattle today and we were lucky to get out with a win.
    Donnelly got 2 points when he came on which is a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

The CBS lost their SF 4-10 to 2-12 after leading at HT by 2-9 to 1-2. Scoring just 3 pts in the 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bamayang

Brian017 wrote: »
    The CBS lost their SF 4-10 to 2-12 after leading at HT by 2-9 to 1-2. Scoring just 3 pts in the 2nd half

Athenry only got 3 scores in the first half. Gale wind at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Couldnt get down today.anyone got a report on game and player ratings.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Couldnt get down today.anyone got a report on game and player ratings.

Brennan wad fair enough. Had a scary moment mid way through 1st half when had too much time on the ball and fluffed the pick up.
    Joey was ok but gets caught trying to get past the 2nd man, ever mind the 1st.
    Padraig and paddy were fair enough but for caught badly for the goal after padraigs slip. Brennan should have been out faster when the ball was loose.
    Conor Delaney hurled ok but got caught on a couple of high balls. Buckley effective enough. Browne solid enough but Morrissey is a better bet for left half back.
    Our backs are working the ball out of defence but to me sometimes over work it and inevitably get caught.
    Ollie Walsh and Leahy seemed to have trouble with the physicality from offaly but Leahy did work hard. Ollie doesn't seem to get in for the dirty ball.
    Maher started left half forward and wasn't effective until moved to right half forward in a switch with blanchfield.
    Tj was good today but for blocked down in a number of ocasions.
    Blanchfield was ineffective in the first half but got a good point with a lay off from tj.
    He hurled a lot better in the 2nd half and got another few scores.
    Maher also hurled better in the 2nd half and was moved to midfield when Ollie went off.
    Her aylward very quiet today as was Richie Reid even though Richie got the 1st point.
    Walter good roday and caught some great ball and laid off some good ball too.
    Donnelly very strong when introduced and got a couple if fine scores.
    Scanlon got on some good ball too but seems a bit light. He has the potential though.
    Morrissey introduced for Browne and Lester introduced in the middle.
    Lester was stronger than Ollie.
    Alan Murphy also introduced for 10 mins.
    All in all a tough test. Offaly seemed physically stronger and caught a lot of ball but it was a good challenge.
    We couldn't get away from them in the finish but we need to be more clinical and improve on our short passing coming out of defence and attacking from midfield.

• Advertisement

Cheers stripes seems tj and wally show again.

Cheers stripes seems tj and wally show again.

Walter very effective. Offaly had a physicality to them that some of our lads found tough.
    Offaly were hitting hard when we were trying to ship tackles and come out with the ball. We seemed to get caught up in that.
    Tjs touch and fielding very good. Donnelly was good when introduced.
    Maher good when moved to right half forward and then to midfield. Blanchfield improved a lot as the game wore on too. For all his hurling Ollie Walsh found it tough throughout and I thought Lester would have been introduced before he was. He is a strong presence in the middle.
    The main thing is we have to improve on today's showing if we are going to get to a league final.

Seems luje a good physical game that should stand to the young lads.would have expected ger awlyard to step up today and agree about lester(winter hurling is made for him)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Ger has it all to prove lads i think some people are expecting to much out of him ..... he needs a serious amount of matches ....

• Registered Users Posts: 27 YMCA

Is there a definitive answer to what happens to club games in two weeks? Is there a contingency plan in place if we get to league final.

Club players now in limbo added to fact nearly no club match has been played in Kilkenny yet this year with all of them in Carlow IT or WIT in Byrne Cup judging by website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I think KK play the winner of Wexford/Galway in league semi-final.

I think KK play the winner of Wexford/Galway in league semi-final.

They do but we'll have to improve if we are to be competitive but we should improve.We could do without meeting wexford again after playing them twice already.
    I presume it'll be 2 weeks time before the semi finals are played.

@usualstripes (or anyone else at the match)

Did we create any goal chances today??

@usualstripes (or anyone else at the match)

Did we create any goal chances today??

We created at least two in the 1st hslf. We actually had a goal disallowed in the 1st half. Couldn't see what for.
    We created three by my count in the 2nd, one for Walter, tj and blanchfield. May not have been sitters but goal chances all the same. Blanchfield was tearing through, one back facing him and one forward pulling away but he was content to take his point when there was a good chance of the goal. Similarly with Walters effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny would be in bother without TJ and Walter, the 2 lads putting up serious scores every weekend.

Are club games now off in April.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Couldnt get down today.anyone got a report  on game and player ratings.

Brennan wad fair enough. Had a scary moment mid way through 1st half when had too much time on the ball and fluffed the pick up.
    Joey was ok but gets caught trying to get past the 2nd man,  ever mind the 1st.
    Padraig and paddy were fair enough but for caught badly for the goal after padraigs slip. Brennan should have been out faster when the ball was loose.
    Conor Delaney hurled ok but got caught on a couple of high balls. Buckley effective enough. Browne solid enough but Morrissey is a better bet for left half back.
    Our backs are working the ball out of defence but to me sometimes over work it and inevitably get caught.
    Ollie Walsh and Leahy seemed to have trouble with the physicality from offaly but Leahy did work hard. Ollie doesn't seem to get in for the dirty ball.
    Maher started left half forward and wasn't effective until moved to right half forward in a switch with blanchfield.
    Tj was good today but for blocked down in a number of ocasions.
    Blanchfield was ineffective in the first half but got a good point with a lay off from tj.
    He hurled a lot better in the 2nd half and got another few scores.
    Maher also hurled better in the 2nd half and was moved to midfield when Ollie went off.
    Her aylward very quiet today as was Richie Reid even though Richie got the 1st point.
    Walter good roday and caught some great ball and laid off some good ball too.
    Donnelly very strong when introduced and got a couple if fine scores.
    Scanlon got on some good ball too but seems a bit light. He has the potential though.
    Morrissey introduced for Browne and Lester introduced in the middle.
    Lester was stronger than Ollie.
    Alan Murphy also introduced for 10 mins.
    All in all a tough test. Offaly seemed physically stronger and caught a lot of ball but it was a good challenge.
    We couldn't get away from them in the finish but we need to be more clinical and improve on our short passing coming out of defence and attacking from midfield.
    In a lot of cases, the comments above do not reflect the match I was at.
    I don't like commenting on individual players especially the younger lads, so I'll just give my take on two players.
    I was mystified by your comments on Joey Holden. Didn't make a lot of sense to read. Joey was very good again yesterday in my opinion. Won a lot of ball. Yes he came out with the ball and took on players. In all cases he beat the first man and in the cases that he tried to beat the second man, although it looked like he might lose the ball, he actually drew the free. Again it is purely my opinion, he was our best defender yesterday. You opinion he was OK
    The second player is Cillian Buckley. Cillian spent most of the game as a loose man in the centre back position. He misjudged, dropped and misplaced a huge amount of ball. At one stage in front of the management team in the second half, he made several failed attempts to lift the ball which resulted in the ball going back from around the 65 to inside the 45 and then picked up by an Offaly player who took a very good point. Your opinion he was Effective.
    The problem for those that didn't travel and listened to the radio is which of us, if either are correct. So I can certainly appreciate the issue for those who listen to KCLR where the culture, no matter who is commentating is to have a chat with the co-commentator rather than describe as best as possible what is happening on the pitch. KCLR need to get rid of the co-commentator until they have a pair that are professional enough to describe what is happening and only have the chat during lulls in the game.
    Anyway fair play for travelling, we just saw the same thing differently.

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    I don't like commenting on individual players especially the younger lads, so I'll just give my take on two players.
    I was mystified by your comments on Joey Holden. Didn't make a lot of sense to read. Joey was very good again yesterday in my opinion. Won a lot of ball. Yes he came out with the ball and took on players. In all cases he beat the first man and in the cases that he tried to beat the second man, although it looked like he might lose the ball, he actually drew the free. Again it is purely my opinion, he was our best defender yesterday. You opinion he was OK
    The second player is Cillian Buckley. Cillian spent most of the game as a loose man in the centre back position. He misjudged, dropped and misplaced a huge amount of ball. At one stage in front of the management team in the second half, he made several failed attempts to lift the ball which resulted in the ball going back from around the 65 to inside the 45 and then picked up by an Offaly player who took a very good point. Your opinion he was Effective.
    The problem for those that didn't travel and listened to the radio is which of us, if either are correct. So I can certainly appreciate the issue for those who listen to KCLR where the culture, no matter who is commentating is to have a chat with the co-commentator rather than describe as best as possible what is happening on the pitch. KCLR need to get rid of the co-commentator until they have a pair that are professional enough to describe what is happening and only have the chat during lulls in the game.

What was you opinion on Ollie Walsh, Liam Blanchfield, Ger Aylward & Richie Reid ?

Hawkeye6 wrote: »

My comments on Joey were as I saw them. I don't doubt he has improved but he and others got caught coming out with the ball on a number of occasions yesterday. He found himself in trouble trying to get past too many men and leading to losing possession or getting fouled. This won't work come summer time in my opinion. He wasn't the only one as I have said. Conor Delaney, Buckley, Maher and Leahy were caught in similar situations. We need to be able to find our men easier and more accurately than we did yesterday. The only thing I see about Buckley is his mobility in moving past his man.
    I'm not trying to be too harsh on Joey. As I said he has improved over the course of the league. I understand completely what Kilkenny are trying to do with the short passing and shipping tackles but we need to be more effective at it.

My comments on Joey were as I saw them. I don't doubt he has improved but he and others got caught coming out with the ball on a number of occasions yesterday. He found himself in trouble trying to get past too many men and leading to losing possession or getting fouled. This won't work come summer time in my opinion. He wasn't the only one as I have said. Conor Delaney, Buckley, Maher and Leahy were caught in similar situations. We need to be able to find our men easier and more accurately than we did yesterday. The only thing I see about Buckley is his mobility in moving past his man.
    I'm not trying to be too harsh on Joey. As I said he has improved over the course of the league. I understand completely what Kilkenny are trying to do with the short passing and shipping tackles but we need to be more effective at it.

Joey Holden looks very light and under developed against some of these opposition at times

http://www.the42.ie/brian-cody-kilkenny-12-3913920-Mar2018/
    It's a pity Kevin kelly is injured i was hoping he would kick on this year after a few years on the panel.i think his due back around may.

• Advertisement

Village87 wrote: »
    Joey Holden looks very light and under developed against some of these opposition at times

It looks like that he doesn't do any S&C work

It looks like that he doesn't do any S&C work

Yea I always thought that with joey he looks light in comparison to deegan.this is his 4th year on the panel but still looks raw.his after having a good league so fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Kilkenny would be in bother without TJ and Walter, the 2 lads putting up serious scores every weekend.

Are club games now off in April.

Most county teams would be in bother if they were missing their two best forwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TommyHilfiger

brookville wrote: »
    Yea I always thought that with joey he looks light in comparison to deegan.this is his 4th year on the panel but still looks raw.his after having a good league so fair play to him.

Joey Holden is not a small man he must be about six foot one or two .

Joey Holden is not a small man he must be about six foot one or two .

Nobody is disputing his height :confused:

But he could do with increasing his muscle mass. He looked light when he was on the panel 5 years ago... And he still looks light now.

Nobody is disputing his height :confused:

But he could do with increasing his muscle mass. He looked light when he was on the panel 5 years ago... And he still looks light now.

Are you trying to be smart he should get his father to give him a cattle wormer that might fill him out its gone bad here when you see a player been critasised for been lean.

You are some clown to say that but I suppose the way you think is take a player down from the ankles some of the rubbish you come out with is appalling you don't mention C Fogarty now when he has been sick what excuse for a man you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Why would he mention him when he isn't playing?

• Advertisement

Are you trying to be smart he should get his father to give him a cattle wormer that might fill him out its gone bad here when you see a player been critasised for been lean.

You seem to be consistently missing the point...
    I'm not saying Joey should get fat :rolleyes:

I'm saying he could do with increasing his muscle mass (and a person can still be lean with increased muscle mass).

The bottom line is that he is not that strong compared to other inter-county forwards that he plays against.
    How is that thought process so hard to comprehend :confused:

I think constructive criticism is required in all cases re: players. They do their best on a given day and don't deliberately go out to have a bad game.

Things are a lot more positive now than after the first 2 league games. As someone alluded to above, Murphy and Fennelly are on their way back so competition for places will only improve the first 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I think constructive criticism is required in all cases re: players. They do their best on a given day and don't deliberately go out to have a bad game.

Things are a lot more positive now than after the first 2 league games. As someone alluded to above, Murphy and Fennelly are on their way back so competition for places will only improve the first 15.

Agreed with regards to constructive criticism of players. With that in mind perhaps those posters who consistently write off certain players could post up their preferred starting 15 and we'll take it from there? No point in wanting a number of players dropped without having replacements.

Things are looking up and the more pressure put on those absent players interested in claiming the jersey back, the better.

I agree fully. We shouldn't be overly critical on players but absolutely comment on where we think the team can improve and how.
    Our ability to move out of defence and midfield and work diagonal and accurate passes has to be commended but needs to be fine tuned.
    We are in a far more positive position than earlier in the year.
    Conor Delaney, Conor Browne, enda Morrissey, mossy keoghan, Alan murphy, luke Scanlon and Richie Leahy have all come in and are raising their game.
    With a bit of luck we still have the following to come back from the team that faced offaly.

Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy
    Jason cleere
    Conor fogarty
    Richie Hogan
    Colin fennelly
    Kevin Kelly

This will certainly liven things up and create healthy competition. It's just a case of when are these guys returning. We know fennelly and Murphy are on the way back which is good.
    Eoin Murphy should be in contention for the league semi.
    I'm not sure about fogarty, cleere, Hogan or Kelly.

Hogan and kelly will hopefully be back for the championship.Cleere should be back for the bridge in a few weeks.
    It's hard to know how murphy and fennelly will come back but both should be a help.
    While we weren't great the other day it must be said we've had a good league although I would be slightly concerned about being over reliant on tj but walter has has being good and the younger lads are better than they were this time last year but they probably need time to devolop.
    As we all realise this rebuild is going to take time we'll have our ups and downs

brookville wrote: »
    Hogan and kelly will hopefully be back for the championship.Cleere should be back for the bridge in a few weeks.
    It's hard to know how murphy and fennelly will come back but both should be a help.
    While we weren't great the other day it must be said we've had a good league although I would be slightly concerned about being over reliant on tj but walter has has being good and the younger lads are better than they were this time last year but they probably need time to devolop.
    As we all realise this rebuild is going to take time we'll have our ups and downs

Thats great news regarding Paul Murphy & Fennelly, 6/7 weeks to the Dublin game and 2 club matches in the mix, they will need all the hurling they can get to be in contention for the trip to Parnell park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Everyone moaning about Monday sometimes winning ugly is the best way of all. The physical rejuvenated offaly was a good test on a boggy pitch. Sometimes winning narrow you find more out about yourselves than winning by 20 points every week. Given everyone wrote us off and I know it's only March but alot of new young lads in and a league semi final I'd have taken that and this experience will do no harm

Hands up - I honestly thought we'd be in the relagation play-off this year. The progression from the first 2 games has been excellent although, with a bit of luck, we could have got something from them.

I think this league has been excellent and, unlike last year, the management team has introduced loads of new guys in games and they've got game time. As well as that, they've carried a big panel which has kept thing competitive. The management deserve credit for freshening up things and trying to alter our game plan in terms of moving the ball shorter in the middle third. I think we are more adept at taking teams on. Previously we were one dimensional and teams had us before we started. Our style will take more time to work on but progress is being made.

With the experienced lads mentioned above to come back into the panel, I'll really looking forward to the league semi-final v Galway/Wexford and the games in the championship. This year the big panel will be required more than any other.

We haven't gone away you know!!

Hands up - I honestly thought we'd be in the relagation play-off this year. The progression from the first 2 games has been excellent although, with a bit of luck, we could have got something from them.

I think this league has been excellent and, unlike last year, the management team has introduced loads of new guys in games and they've got game time. As well as that, they've carried a big panel which has kept thing competitive. The management deserve credit for freshening up things and trying to alter our game plan in terms of moving the ball shorter in the middle third. I think we are more adept at taking teams on. Previously we were one dimensional and teams had us before we started. Our style will take more time to work on but progress is being made.

With the experienced lads mentioned above to come back into the panel, I'll really looking forward to the league semi-final v Galway/Wexford and the games in the championship. This year the big panel will be required more than any other.

We haven't gone away you know!!

Summed up our year to date perfectly.

Post Primary Schools All Ireland Semi Final result - St Kieran's 0.19, Ardscoil Ris 1.14.

Great win for Kierans over the Limerick team.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Grats wrote: »
    Primary Schools All Ireland Semi Final result - St Kieran's 0.19, Ardscoil Ris 1.14.

Great win for Kierans over the Limerick team.

They must really hate the sight of that black and white hooped jersey! It's the 5th time in 9 years that Kieran's have ended their hopes of winning their very first All Ireland.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement