Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Grats wrote: »
    Post Primary Schools All Ireland Semi Final result - St Kieran's 0.19, Ardscoil Ris 1.14.

Great win for Kierans over the Limerick team.

We'll done to them.pity cbs were defeated the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

"another player who is going to be out for a length of time is Kevin Kelly, who would be a very important player for us"

"He was involved in his club, Ballyragget, so we hadn’t seen him but unfortunately he had knee surgery and he is going to be out for few months. He would have been important player but that is the game"

Interesting to see Cody say that Kevin Kelly is so important. Definitely think he should be pushing for a starting place when he returns. He's got all the attributed needed.

I still have question marks over our fullback line, but we're building a huge panel of players and will be the better for it in the long term. Grinding out an ugly win on Monday was a good test of character.

v3ttel wrote: »
    "another player who is going to be out for a length of time is Kevin Kelly, who would be a very important player for us"

"He was involved in his club, Ballyragget, so we hadn’t seen him but unfortunately he had knee surgery and he is going to be out for few months. He would have been important player but that is the game"

Interesting to see Cody say that Kevin Kelly is so important. Definitely think he should be pushing for a starting place when he returns. He's got all the attributed needed.

I still have question marks over our fullback line, but we're building a huge panel of players and will be the better for it in the long term. Grinding out an ugly win on Monday was a good test of character.

The kk people said it could be july before his back which is a shame we could be finished hurling by then,he was excellent for his club last year it's a shame he didn't get a league under his belt on his day his an excellent hurler.hopefully he can recover fully
    It also said it'll be may before murphy and fennelly are back and could miss the first two games against dublin and offally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭granturismo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Brian017

Can anyone view this without paying?

It’s free on an iPad anyway
    Two of Kilkenny's senior intercounty hurlers are on their way home to Ireland after serving six months with the UN in The Lebanon.

On St Patrick's Day, Irish Defence Forces personnel, Cpl Paul Murphy, Danesfort and Pte Colin Fennelly, Ballyhale received their service medals from fellow Kilkenny man, Major General Kieran Brennan at an undisclosed location in South Lebanon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Village87

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Village87 wrote: »

Yeah, I thought that too as they were presented with medals recently.

Do you reckon the league semi-finals will be played on the same day in Thurles?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Do you reckon the league semi-finals will be played on the same day in Thurles?

Semis are due to be played on the 31st, as far as i am aware the two schools All Irelands are due to be played in Thurles on that date.

Was told by someone close to the panel that the provisional arrangements before the quarters for us if we qualified would be if it was Galway it would be in Limerick and if it was Wexford it would be a toss for home venue. I wonder if it's Galway would they play it as a double header with the A schools final since that's also Kilkenny v Galway?

• Advertisement

I think I read somewhere that if it's wexford it could be in wexford park that we're going to start a home an away agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

brookville wrote: »

You would have to assume that Paul Murphy and Colin Fennelly will play very little part this year and the same applies to Richie Hogan, Conor Fogarty, Kevin Kelly and Jason Cleere.

m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/watch-kilkenny-hurlers-produce-hilarious-carpool-karaoke-of-guns-n-roses-classic-36739696.html

Funny video doing the rounds today.
    Different reports on when the 2 lads are returning but I dont think they know themselves it'll be April or May hopefully it'll be April.
    Kevin kelly I feel is a big loss I was told he'll be back around may/june but some recover quicker than others so hopefully we're still involved in the championship when he returns
    Jason cleere should be back when the club scene resumes.
    I'm surprised that they've tried richie reid all over the fowards but haven't tried him in the half back line where he hurls for his club.i thought he might of being a candidate for 5 or 7.
    I'm guessing the reason mossy wasn't on the panel last weekend was he was hurling freshers midweek.given time he looks like he can be a top player for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Martin567

m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/watch-kilkenny-hurlers-produce-hilarious-carpool-karaoke-of-guns-n-roses-classic-36739696.html

Funny video doing the rounds today.

It wasn't what I was expecting to see. Neither funny nor hilarious.

I wonder why they posted it online. It looks like a case of extremely dangerous driving that they could get in trouble for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Wexford v Kilkenny semi final

Huge game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

The shake in the car is just the phone shaking, they didn't actually nearly crash. That's part of the act. See the original below:

https://youtu.be/tm2Jy64b0dI

Can't believe I've had to write that

Wexford again for **** sake

We could of done without wexford again but they were the better team today.
    Big match next saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

C__MC wrote: »

Huge game

Surely be on in Walsh park as the nuetral venue....

In Wexford Park according to Davy on TG4

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    Surely be on in Walsh park as the nuetral venue....

Presume be Wexford Park

I read midweek that kk have agreed a home and away agreement with wexford starting away should wexford win which they have.
    Big match next week davey has them flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I read midweek that kk have agreed a home and away agreement with wexford starting away should wexford win which they have.
    Big match next week davey has them flying.

You would have to give them credit. They are playing very well at the minute and it's going to be a serious test next Sunday.
    It's great to be in this position though to have another serious game before championship.

I presume we will line out as follows:

Eoin Murphy - heard he is recovering well.
    Joey
    Padraig
    Paddy
    Conor Delaney
    Cillian
    Enda Morrissey
    James Maher
    Richie Leahy
    Martin keoghan
    Tj
    Liam blanchfield
    John Donnelly
    Walter Walsh
    Ger aylward

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭blackwave

We have a home and away agreement with Wexford so that would make sense.

You would have to give them credit. They are playing very well at the minute and it's going to be a serious test next Sunday.
    It's great to be in this position though to have another serious game before championship.

I presume we will line out as follows:

Eoin Murphy - heard he is recovering well.
    Joey
    Padraig
    Paddy
    Conor Delaney
    Cillian
    Enda Morrissey
    James Maher
    Richie Leahy
    Martin keoghan
    Tj
    Liam blanchfield
    John Donnelly
    Walter Walsh
    Ger aylward

As soon as galway went down to 14 men I could only see one winner.wexford should of scored a goal near the end and missed a few scoreable points but they were getting in positions up front with loads of space despite being down a player.
    Credit where it's due he has brought them on leaps and bounds but they probably started 12/13 or their championship team maybe that could come against them in the summer with a congested championship.
    Hard to guess a team for sunday but id expect changes
    The team above probably the best we have at the moment.its unlikely we'll see fogarty at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Huge game

Does a League semi-final ever qualify as a “huge game”? It will probably be the least significant game Kilkenny will play until next January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Thought the ref rode galway today.anyone else think that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Does a League semi-final ever qualify as a “huge game”? It will probably be the least significant game Kilkenny will play until next January.

But probably the most significant game since last July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Well I for one look forward to a week of debating whether the match is crucial or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭kk.man

Wexford to be a powerhouse in hurling for the next few years?

That Galway team (whom I rate) was at or near full strength.

kk.man wrote: »

Still really difficult to gauge this time of year. That pitch looked heavy today and Galway were well out of steam by 50 mins. Wexford are very fit and hard to beat in the Park.

Would be huge next week for Kilkenny to beat Wexford down there and make the league final.

• Advertisement

puzl wrote: »
    But probably the most significant game since last July.

Probably not in fact. Some of the earlier games which guaranteed them top division status were probably more significant. And even if this is the most significant from a period when there are only League and Walsh cup games in the mix it still doesn’t maje it “huge”. It’s a League semi final and no more.

Well I for one look forward to a week of debating whether the match is crucial or not.

Nice to have that sense of anticipation. Anything that keeps you away from that revolver and bottle of whiskey must be good.

Oh Jesus Christ who gives a ****e? it's the biggest match this week, that's the main thing.

I for one would like a win but I really don't think a loss would be a big deal in the scheme of things. For me it's an opportunity to test out a few players who will have a chance to face a team who are clearly going at everything full tilt right now. It'll be important for the likes of ger aylward who clearly still needs games to improve. It would be nice to see more game time for fringe players like Ollie Walsh, blanchfield etc who all still have a lot to prove. Wish it was against Galway, they'll be sick of matches against Wexford. Be nice to beat them in an away fixture if we can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anything that keeps you away from that revolver and bottle of whiskey must be good.

WTF :confused:

Oh Jesus Christ who gives a ****e? it's the biggest match this week, that's the main thing.

One guy said the game is “huge”. I gave the view in the greater scheme of things it’s clearly not. People are not be8ng asked to give a ****e. But I fail to see how a few posts on the matter are so irritable to some.

Do you have any thoughts on the match at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Do you have any thoughts on the match at all?

I feel KK should mark Murphy( the sweeper) and basically force them to go 1 on 1 all over the field.We would also need our two corner men making constant diagonal dummy runs to force the corner men to mark.Wexford are a one trick pony if forced into the back foot.Their backs don't like running towards their own goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

kk.man wrote: »

Galway are nowhere near as fit as Wexford are currently. That may well be different in 2 months time. Canning and David Burke especially looked seriously well short of match sharpness.

Wexford will take some beating on home turf by anyone though.

Probably not in fact. Some of the earlier games which guaranteed them top division status were probably more significant. And even if this is the most significant from a period when there are only League and Walsh cup games in the mix it still doesn’t maje it “huge”. It’s a League semi final and no more.

Would u not consider it significant due to the fact that Davy has had Brian’s number since he took over the yellow bellies? He beat kk last year fairly comfortably in two significant games. That’s why I think it’s a huge game. Cody will know he needs to get one over him, going down to Wexford and beating them
    In the Park in a league semi. Plus it will be a huge slap in the face for the people who said Kilkenny were finished if they make a league final.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Anyone wager a guess at what time the match will be on Saturday?

• Advertisement

Would u not consider it significant due to the fact that Davy has had Brian’s number since he took over the yellow bellies? He beat kk last year fairly comfortably in two significant games. That’s why I think it’s a huge game. Cody will know he needs to get one over him, going down to Wexford and beating them
    In the Park in a league semi. Plus it will be a huge slap in the face for the people who said Kilkenny were finished if they make a league final.

No. But I don't buy into this stuff of one manager having the other manager's "number". Kilkenny have regressed in recent times. Wexford have improved. That pattern has been apparent not least from under-age hurling and chickens are now coming home to roost with the gap more or less indiscernible. It's not about Fitzgerald cooking up some cunning plan that has Cody baffled. Don't forget they lost to Waterford last year too. Kilkenny also beat Wexford last time they played. There's little enough between any of these teams.

You are saying "Cody will know he needs to get one over him". Keep some perspective. I just heard the Tipperary captain talking about the benefit of the League semi-final to give players game time. You make it sounds like it's a re-run of D-day. Is someone with Brian Cody's catalogue of achievement really losing sleep over "Davy"? He will do as he ever did and try to get the team right. A battle to the death with the opposing manager will not come into it in his mind.

As for "it will be a huge slap in the face for the people who said Kilkenny were finished if they make a league final".............well, this is one for the braggards who will shout "h'wan ta fcuk" and come on boards like this shouting the odds.
    Others will hold the view that many teams reached League finals and even won them in the past and it meant fcuk all with no impact on future prospects. They will also - argumentative w*nkers that they are - will believe that Kilkenny are judged by All Ireland wins and not by League final appearances.

But look, if you want to give the game an inflated importance why not. I suppose that's what creates atmosphere and excitement. But I think I should be able to point out that a League semi final is not a "huge" game (unless you are Laois or Antrim maybe) and not be tackled by a variety of people taking offence.

Tipperary are playing neighbours they will play a few months down the road and they are talking about "game time". Kilkenny are doing the exact same thing and it's a "huge" game? I assume it's some kind of over-compensation for the fatalistic views of Kilkenny fighting against relegation that were expressed here in the past 6/7 weeks. All was disastrous then and now suddenly because Kilkenny are in a League semi final it's a "huge" game. If people read back on this in August or September I'd say they'd cringe.

I feel KK should mark Murphy( the sweeper) and basically force them to go 1 on 1 all over the field.We would also need our two corner men making constant diagonal dummy runs to force the corner men to mark.Wexford are a one trick pony if forced into the back foot.Their backs don't like running towards their own goal.
    Personally disagree with this as it just reduces the space in our forward line and opens it up in our defence. The way you beat it is work the ball through the lines in the backs and then down the wings in your forwards. Keep the ball out of the centre as much as possible. I think the way we've started hurling this year is the correct way to do it and presume is the reason we've been doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Put the tallest forward on the sweeper and rain balls down on him. Completely nullifies the system. Gorta would have had a field days against sweepers if it had been fashionable when he was playing intercounty.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Looking forward to it. That Rory o Connor is a serious talent for a 19year old.
    Poor clubs only getting one match in April I think then that could be it for a few months, hard to find many viable solutions though.

FCIM wrote: »
    Put the tallest forward on the sweeper and rain balls down on him. Completely nullifies the system. Gorta would have had a field days against sweepers if it had been fashionable when he was playing intercounty.

The sweeper is usually the opposition's best stickman - neat and tidy on the ball. I'd put one of our forwards on him and make the other corner back the sweeper i.e. the lad who's not as neat and tidy as the sweeper is. This is how to lessen the effect of a sweeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

FCIM wrote: »

The sweeper is usually the opposition's best stickman - neat and tidy on the ball. I'd put one of our forwards on him and make the other corner back the sweeper i.e. the lad who's not as neat and tidy as the sweeper is. This is how to lessen the effect of a sweeper.
    Sweepers live off breaking ball to sweep up. Drop the ball down on the sweeper and he's forced to win it cleanly himself or he's redundant. Just because he's a great stickman doesn't mean he's the most effective aerially, if he can't win ball he's out of the game and you've just changed the match-ups. It does rely on a lot of completely selfless running from your attacking players but it works. It's how Tipp blew Waterford away a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Any word on a time for next Sat?

minty81 wrote: »
    Any word on a time for next Sat?

4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Rumours of a standoff between clubs and county board over April fixtures. A win at the weekend is not going to help that situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Village87

Im not surprised. What clubs involved ? GAA really need to look at this next year. If the GAA want to play as many games as they are they should get rid of the Walsh Cup. Start the League in the 2nd week of Janurary, get rid of the league Quater Finals.

As for the game next week Wexford are building a serious athletic and skillful team. Wexford park will be a hard place to go and win next week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement