Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

citykat wrote: »
    Rumours of a standoff between clubs and county board over April fixtures. A win at the weekend is not going to help that situation.

To be fair, I'd say this is the same in most counties - fixtures club/county is the huge elephant in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Village87 wrote: »
    What clubs involved ?

Heard one of the city clubs contacted the other clubs in an attempt to organise a campaign to ensure games got played. CB not too happy by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Wexford park has always being a difficult place to go it'll be no different this weekend.
    Wexford will probably man mark tj and if his held it'll make things very hard.
    We'll need a few of the other fowards to really step up and trouble the scoreboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Village87

citykat wrote: »
    Heard one of the city clubs contacted the other clubs in an attempt to organise a campaign to ensure games got played. CB not too happy by all accounts.

Fair play to them, makes sense to play a cancelled match a week later into the weekend 20/21st April. Kilkenny already taking up the first week in April and possible second if they beat Wexford. If the club games were played the weekending 14th/15th April and the week later 20/21st would that not make sense as April is designated to Clubs. That leaves the County players 10 days max with clubs to get 2 games in a week. Why are the County Board upset about that. Kilkenny have there players back for the last 10 days in April.

If that cant be arranged then the clubs should revolt

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Village87 wrote: »
    Fair play to them, makes sense to play a cancelled match a week later into the weekend 20/21st April. Kilkenny already taking up the first week in April and possible second if they beat Wexford. If the club games were played the weekending 14th/15th April and the week later 20/21st would that not make sense as April is designated to Clubs. That leaves the County players 10 days max with clubs to get 2 games in a week. Why are the County Board upset about that. Kilkenny have there players back for the last 10 days in April.

If that cant be arranged then the clubs should revolt
    Rather silly statement.
    There is an organisation called the CPA to represent the Club players which is there over a year now and they have no plan or direction, just idealised rhetoric. What is their plan for club and county to co-exist in harmony?  I haven't seen anything.  The GAA is about Club AND County not Club versus County. Any solution must take into account both for the GAA to continue as we traditionally know it.  Meanwhile the GAA HQ have added more and more county fixtures while also planning the removal of underage elite development squads to "help the clubs".  We are well on the way to the predicted at least 5 competitive clashes between Kilkenny and Wexford in one calendar year. How long will the excitement of regular old firm derby work?
    Also, when did the County Board become the enemy? Kilkenny county board voted against the proposals for the increased inter county fixtures. They only have one vote  when it comes to making national decisions. Anyone who has any interest in the GAA would know the people involved in fixtures setting in all codes of the GAA in Kilkenny are having a nightmare trying to work around inter county games, boggy pitches, weather alerts and clubs who prefer to whinge rather than offer solutions. Clubs say they want games but when the games are fixed they make every excuse as to why it does not suit, because maybe one item is not perfect for them.  I was talking to a man who in the know yesterday and he told me several clubs pulled their pitches for Feile matches at the weekend claiming they were closed. yet it was well known "other" matches went ahead on those same closed pitches. And soccer and rugby is an increasing excuse not to play GAA games for many,
    The bottom lines is clubs must start formulating solutions and then come together to promote them. Solution must caters as best as is possible for Club and County. The word "Revolt" is pathetic and not helpful. Try Solutions instead of Revolutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Fixtures for the weekend just announced.
    Kilkenny v Wexford in Wexford Park on at 2pm Sunday April 1st

laneykin wrote: »
    Fixtures for the weekend just announced.
    Kilkenny v Wexford in Wexford Park on at 2pm Sunday April 1st

They must of changed it they were reporting saturday at 4

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Rather silly statement.
    There is an organisation called the CPA to represent the Club players which is there over a year now and they have no plan or direction, just idealised rhetoric. What is their plan for club and county to co-exist in harmony?  I haven't seen anything.  The GAA is about Club AND County not Club versus County. Any solution must take into account both for the GAA to continue as we traditionally know it.  Meanwhile the GAA HQ have added more and more county fixtures while also planning the removal of underage elite development squads to "help the clubs".  We are well on the way to the predicted at least 5 competitive clashes between Kilkenny and Wexford in one calendar year. How long will the excitement of regular old firm derby work?
    Also, when did the County Board become the enemy? Kilkenny county board voted against the proposals for the increased inter county fixtures. They only have one vote  when it comes to making national decisions. Anyone who has any interest in the GAA would know the people involved in fixtures setting in all codes of the GAA in Kilkenny are having a nightmare trying to work around inter county games, boggy pitches, weather alerts and clubs who prefer to whinge rather than offer solutions. Clubs say they want games but when the games are fixed they make every excuse as to why it does not suit, because maybe one item is not perfect for them.  I was talking to a man who in the know yesterday and he told me several clubs pulled their pitches for Feile matches at the weekend claiming they were closed. yet it was well known "other" matches went ahead on those same closed pitches. And soccer and rugby is an increasing excuse not to play GAA games for many,
    The bottom lines is clubs must start formulating solutions and then come together to promote them. Solution must caters as best as is possible for Club and County. The word "Revolt" is pathetic and not helpful. Try Solutions instead of Revolutions.

Very good insightful response to the issues at hand, Apologies for my lazy analysis. But my main query is what is wrong with putting the club fixtures back a week to the weekending 21st April. Every club can organise around the dates even if Kilkenny do get to a league final. At the moment the County board have left all clubs confused with fixtures a week before they are due to play. I heard over the weekend that there is still a Senior game taking place next Sunday and 3 Intermediate games. Now the League Semi final is fixed for next Sunday, Clubs left confused and frustrated again.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

brookville wrote: »
    They must of changed it they were reporting saturday at 4[/QUOTE

Kilkenny game unlikely to be on tv now as TG4 are committed to showing Div 2 league Football final at that time unless RTE step into the breech... like that will happen!

At least can go to the Kieran's match and Kilkenny match now! A Kilkenny season ticket will hardly cover the Thurles double header on Saturday?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I thought game was at 2pm on Saturday also. Have to change plans now, grrrr.

• Advertisement

I thought game was at 2pm on Saturday also. Have to change plans now, grrrr.

Easter sunday might not suit everyone but nothing can be done now.It would of being nice to have it with the kierans match but thurles mightn't hold 3 matches and we've entered a home an away agreement with wexford.
    im looking forward to the match at the weekend it'd be nice to get a win away from home with maybe six or seven weeks away from the championship.This time last year the wheels started to come off but I think we're in a better position now despite being down 6 or 7 regulars.
    We've being unlucky with injuries to cleere,Kelly and fogarty but its being great to get game time into Darren brennan,Morrissey and james maher these 3 have had good leagues.
    leahy and maher have had good leagues so far but tj and walter will need more help from the forwards sunday if we're to get the win.
    it'll be intresting to see what the other 4 forwards will be im sure the lads know that the last performance wont be good enough and it'll be a great opportunity of getting to a league final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Rather silly statement.
    There is an organisation called the CPA to represent the Club players which is there over a year now and they have no plan or direction, just idealised rhetoric. What is their plan for club and county to co-exist in harmony?  I haven't seen anything.  The GAA is about Club AND County not Club versus County. Any solution must take into account both for the GAA to continue as we traditionally know it.  Meanwhile the GAA HQ have added more and more county fixtures while also planning the removal of underage elite development squads to "help the clubs". 

This is the strangest view of things I have read in a very long time. It is up to the GAA hedquarters to ensure that county (and handful of teams) and club (the huge majority) operate in harmony. Its representative at local level is the County Board which should represent the clubs of the county as well as the county team.

It is NOT in the remit of the CPA to do the GAA's job for it. The CPA would not exist if the GAA had not made a pig's ear of things in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Wex V KK is live on TG4's youtube channel on Sunday at 14.00 or deferred on tv from 17.45. Kierans match is live on the youtube channel at 17.00 on Saturday

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Powerhouse wrote: »
    This is the strangest view of things I have read in a very long time. It is up to the GAA hedquarters to ensure that county (and handful of teams) and club (the huge majority) operate in harmony. Its representative at local level is the County Board which should represent the clubs of the county as well as the county team.

It is NOT in the remit of the CPA to do the GAA's job for it. The CPA would not exist if the GAA had not made a pig's ear of things in the first place.
    I'm sorry, I have no idea what you are trying to say. Apologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Wex V KK is live on TG4's youtube channel on Sunday at 14.00 or deferred on tv from 17.45. Kierans match is live on the youtube channel at 17.00 on Saturday

What's the name of the youtube channel showing the colleges?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

What's the name of the youtube channel showing the colleges?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUds-3OqMdVufEjNmdiYL-w

I imagine it will be here on TG4 page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

From TG4 Twitter.

https://youtu.be/iHTJv0yDuzQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I heard Richie Hogan wasn't too far away from a come back recently but by the sounds of it he tried to do a little too much instead of resting. He seems to have slightly reaggrivated the back and he will need another little while but there seems to be light at the end of that particular tunnel, which would be great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

Heard Tommy Walsh (under 21) did something with his knee a while back in senior training, has since been operated on but is expected to be out for the year.

suirway wrote: »
    Heard Tommy Walsh (under 21) did something with his knee a while back in senior training, has since been operated on but is expected to be out for the year.

Dissapointed to hear that as he would of being an important player for the under 21s.hopefully it's not the cruciate.
    Anyone know how the 21s are going?we should be decent this year.
    I had heard that richie hogan was nearly back right for the last match but hopefully he can get a game in with danesfort before things hot up before the leinster championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Anyone any idea how Eoin Murphy and Conor Fogarty are?
    If we are to beat wexford sunday we need leahy, mossy if playing, blanchfield aylward etc to get on the scoring sheet.
    TJ and walter wont win this one without help from the other forwards.
    Blanchfield had a good 2nd half v offaly when positioned at left half forward.
    Hopefully his confidence is on the way back and can contribute on the scoresheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Very disappointing to hear that about Richie.
    I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see much of him playing this summer unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Very disappointing to hear that about Richie.
    I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see much of him playing this summer unfortunately :(

That would be disastrous for us but hopefully he will start playing with us again by the 1st week May.

Well done Dicksboro the Kilkenny Feile again

Just thinking about the game on Sunday, definitely going to be a tough one and I can only hope that we get a ref that doesn't take any of Wexford's crap throughout the game. As for the team ideally I'd like to see this line up;

E.Murphy
    J.Holden P.Walsh P.Deegan
    C.Delaney C.Buckley E.Morrissey
    J.Maher L.Ryan
    R.Leahy TJ.Reid P.Lyng
    J.Donnelly W.Walsh G.Aylward

Maybe see Blanchfield brought on if needed. Normally I think Wally would be better off further out but against Wexford we need someone big on Liam Ryan. Any thoughts on how we'll keep Chin quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Buckley had chins number until they moved him off buckley in the championship last year(dont know why we didnt tell bucko to follow him)also agree we should take no **** from them off the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭HughCassidy

The best of luck to St Kierans , The Kilkenny seniors over the weekend.

I heard murphy and fogarty are nearing a return.Fogarty needs to get game time hopefully both are back.
    Id like to see lester start this one.1-9 should stay much the same it'll be interesting to see who joins walter and tj in attack.

No word on the team for Sunday?

• Advertisement

Kil v Wex
    E Murphy
    J Holden P Walsh P Deegan
    C Delaney C Buckley E Morrissey
    R Leahy J Maher
    M Keoghan TJ Reid J Donnelly
    G Aylward W Walsh B Sheehan
    Subs
    D Brennan
    C O'Shea
    C Browne
    L Ryan
    C Fogarty
    P Lyng
    L Scanlon
    L Blanchfield
    A Murphy
    C Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

No team named yet, on a Friday night....is that unusual?

Where did you get that team? Didn’t see on the twitter or gas account?

Came through just after I posted!

Kil v Wex
    E Murphy J
    Holden P Walsh P Deegan
    R Leahy J Maher

Subs D Brennan C o Shea C Browne L Ryan C Fogarty P Lyng L Scanlon L Blanchfield A Murphy C Martin

Dionysis wrote: »
    Where did you get that team? Didn’t see on the twitter or gas account?

Sent through from KK supporters club just now

Cody is still trying out guys or, from who he has available to him, this is the 15 that are performing the best in training, what do you think?

• Advertisement

Dionysis wrote: »
    Cody is still trying out guys or, from who he has available to him, this is the 15 that are performing the best in training, what do you think?

Is joe lyng injured?No sign of richie reid.Its good to see fogarty back and murphy in goal.Hopefully our fowards go well sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Why oh why does Connor Martin keep getting picked done absolutely nothing

Kil v Wex
    E Murphy
    R Leahy J Maher
    Subs
    D Brennan
    C O'Shea
    C Browne
    L Ryan
    C Fogarty
    P Lyng
    L Scanlon
    L Blanchfield
    A Murphy
    C Martin

Is Bill Sheehan still under 21 this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭HughCassidy

Is joe lyng injured?No sign of richie reid.Its good to see fogarty back and murphy in goal.Hopefully our fowards go well sunday.

Is Joe Lyng not away foreign on work commitments correct me if I am wrong, its good to see Murphy back hopefully that illness that Fogarty had will not hold him back M Fennelly had that Cha .

Is Joe Lyng not away foreign on work commitments correct me if I am wrong, its good to see Murphy back hopefully that illness that Fogarty had will not hold him back M Fennelly had that Cha .

From what I understand he has work commitments involving a farming scholarships which requires him to spend time out of the country. However whether has opted out or was pushed out i couldn't tell you but he did blot his copy book big time against Clare.

• Advertisement

I'm near sure he is along with mossy,leahy and donnelly hopefully it'll bode well in the long term this will be great experience for these young lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

That's probably as strong a starting team as we could name. I love that Keoghan, Donnelly, Sheehan, Delaney, Morrissey, Maher & Leahy are all getting a chance in a very difficult game at an important stage of the league. They're all seriously talented even if not all of them will be starters when all our players are fit.

I presume Fogarty isn't 100%. Would have liked to see Joe Lyng and Richie Reid both on the subs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

That's probably as strong a starting team as we could name. I love that Keoghan, Donnelly, Sheehan, Delaney, Morrissey, Maher & Leahy are all getting a chance in a very difficult game at an important stage of the league. They're all seriously talented even if not all of them will be starters when all our players are fit.

I presume Fogarty isn't 100%. Would have liked to see Joe Lyng (is he away?) and Richie Reid both on the subs too.

v3ttel wrote: »

I presume Fogarty isn't 100%. Would have liked to see Joe Lyng (is he away?) and Richie Reid both on the subs too.

I agree this is probably the best we have available and I expect us to give a good account of ourselves.
    You'd expect wexford to really try shut down tj and man mark him but hopefully sheehan will add pace to the inside foward line and he can score goals and win frees and he works very hard.
    Hopefully mossy can reproduce his early performances like the waterford one.the 2 wexford wing backs like to bomb foward create attack and score I'm sure cody will try to reduce this and long range frees which foley has being scoring.

Yeah Bill is U21 this year as said above. He was dropped from the panel along with the other Boro players when the cull came a few weeks ago. Apparently a few of the more established players were very surprised he was cut as he had been performing so well in training. He went back to the U21 set up and was supposed to be lighting it up for a few sessions. Played a challenge match with the Boro and then obviously got called back in as he was on the bench against Offaly and has made enough of an impression to be starting.

As the ground hardens up he'll just get better. The biggest string to Sheehans bow is his work rate. If the correct ball is not delivered in to him he won't give up he harasses the defender all the way out and usually wins a turnover. If he secured the turn over he has great pace and agility to turn most defenders inside out. It'll be a tough second start for him, a league semi, away in Wexford, with that crowd and a packed defence but he will definitely run himself into the ground for the team and no ball will come out easy from his corner.

Yeah Bill is U21 this year as said above. He was dropped from the panel along with the other Boro players when the cull came a few weeks ago. Apparently a few of the more established players were very surprised he was cut as he had been performing so well in training. He went back to the U21 set up and was supposed to be lighting it up for a few sessions. Played a challenge match with the Boro and then obviously got called back in as he was on the bench against Offaly and has made enough of an impression to be starting.

As the ground hardens up he'll just get better. The biggest string to Sheehans bow is his work rate. If the correct ball is not delivered in to him he won't give up he harasses the defender all the way out and usually wins a turnover. If he secured the turn over he has great pace and agility to turn most defenders inside out. It'll be a tough second start for him, a league semi, away in Wexford, with that crowd and a packed defence but he will definitely run himself into the ground for the team and no ball will come out easy from his corner.

Thanks for that! The reason i asked is because i think i would be right in saying that he never even made a minor panel on the way up? Or at least i don't ever recollect him being part of a match day panel anyway though he could've been part of an extended panel.

I'm near sure he is along with mossy,leahy and donnelly hopefully it'll bode well in the long term this will be great experience for these young lads.

Yeah I am aware about the other 3 mentioned, Mossy and Donnelly are actually under 21 again next year. In fact Mossy was actually only a few days over age for minor last year (won't actually turn 20 till the end of December). You would imagine that if we had him for the minors last year we could have won that All Ireland considering we only lost to the eventual champions by a point in the semi.

laneykin wrote: »
    Came through just after I posted!

Kil v Wex
    E Murphy
    R Leahy J Maher

Subs D Brennan C o Shea C Browne L Ryan C Fogarty P Lyng L Scanlon L Blanchfield A Murphy C Martin

I don’t think Deegan is a corner back, and no doubt he’s learning the role there, but he’s a bit slow for that position , I would have felt he could have swapped with Morrissey who is faster hitting the ball and is faster under foot. But I understand Cody is trying to keep a settled side, and is looking to create another Jackie T or Philly Larkin by putting an outfielder back there. A good side will punish us for goals as we learn the ropes back there. Other than that the back line is as good as we have. Midfield is light in physical presence, and for this game we could do with Lester’s presence there.
    Forwards, are what they are.
    Physically we are not anywhere close to what Wexford will bring so hopefully our game plan is adapted accordingly.
    One major plus point - every hard physical battle/game that we have the younger lads get more accustomed it and get tougher. Offaly was a great experience on this front.

We’re not as physical, so I only expect us to be in their competing hard and not necessarily winning every battle.
    Hurling wise, our lads have the skills that Wexford have and more, should not be beaten here.
    Interlink play - A lot of our players are still learning and are are still getting to know each other and where to be to receive a pass or a return pass, but we should show improvement on the earlier league performances on this front.
    Attitude and work rate/ hunger - When your not winning the other areas and your younger you have to compensate with applying this attributes better than the opposition. We need to really throw ourselvesinto this game and I expect that we will work harder than Wexford. There are no excuses on this front.

One last point - Davy will have this Wexford side bully lads off the ball. Irrespective of whether a players wins this battle, everyone needs to come to tomorrow’s game with the attitude that he’s not going to bully me today and he may win but he’ll earn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Garyp88 wrote: »
    Why oh why does Connor Martin keep getting picked done absolutely nothing

Totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

v3ttel wrote: »

I presume Fogarty isn't 100%. Would have liked to see Joe Lyng and Richie Reid both on the subs too.

Heard Richie Reid has been cut from panel

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement