Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Village87 wrote: »
    Thanks Brook, who is travelling ?

Two travelling Conor dohehy one it was said here and his not involved so more than likely him not sure the other and someone else doing something with their studies dj said in a recent interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0503/960150-here-are-the-31-gaa-championship-games-live-on-rte-tv/

All the live RTE & Sky fixtures, from Kilkenny POV the Dublin & Galway games are live on RTE & the Wexford game is live on Sky

robwen wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0503/960150-here-are-the-31-gaa-championship-games-live-on-rte-tv/

All the live RTE & Sky fixtures, from Kilkenny POV the Dublin & Galway games are live on RTE & the Wexford game is live on Sky
    Michael fennelly on the panel nice job to get so quickly after retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

brookville wrote: »
    Michael fennelly on the panel nice job to get so quickly after retiring.

Yeah think he`s down for co-commentary duty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Village87

robwen wrote: »
    Yeah think he`s down for co-commentary duty

Has Tommy Walsh been snapped up by RTE for Commentary, made for the position

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Went out to the match yesterday. Kilkenny hurled very well. They will be very strong when the senior players fit in. Ryan Bergin and Michael Cody hurled well in the backs. Delaney did well midfield from Conahy. Brian Cody will surely have noticed Conor Hennessy direct style of hurling, great pace and very direct, was the stand out player on show. Adrian Mullen showed some nice touches but lacks the pace and directness of Hennessy. Darren Mullen midfield also did ok, probably better off at corner back

Did Ryan Bergin and Adrian Mullen start? Who got the goals? How did James Bergin do (assuming it's the Conahy version and not the Clara version) always been a fan of his, thought he never got a fair crack of the whip from Hoban at minor level.

Did Ryan Bergin and Adrian Mullen start? Who got the goals? How did James Bergin do (assuming it's the Conahy version and not the Clara version) always been a fan of his, thought he never got a fair crack of the whip from Hoban at minor level.

Programme was way off. Ryan Bergin & Mullen started. Goals were scored by Conor Henessey, scored a great goal, some legs on this lad. James Bergin did OK & got a gaol i think, Kilkenny were well on top and got great supply. Walsh from Mooncoin came on and got a good goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Yeah, pleasantly surprised with that result seen as Tipp seemed to have a very strong team out and we were without our Seniors Leahy, Keoghan, Donnelly and Sheehan.

Be a lot of that Tipp team under 20, they will struggle physically in the forwards. Limerick looked massive last night and Galway will be very strong.

https://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/sport/311894/tipperary-u21-hurling-team-suffer-a-five-point-defeat-at-the-hands-of-kilkenny.html
    Brief report above.
    The one thing that stood out for me was the different clubs represented and lots of junior and intermediate clubs on show.
    Is Andy Gaffney involved or injured?also the big forward from ballycallan whose name escapes me at the moment.
    We'll probably do well to reach a Leinster final but dj should have them in a good place.galway as always will be difficult opposition.

• Advertisement

https://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/sport/311894/tipperary-u21-hurling-team-suffer-a-five-point-defeat-at-the-hands-of-kilkenny.html
    Brief report above.
    The one thing that stood out for me was the different clubs represented and lots of junior and intermediate clubs on show.
    Is Andy Gaffney involved or injured?also the big forward from ballycallan whose name escapes me at the moment.
    We'll probably do well to reach a Leinster final but dj should have them in a good place.galway as always will be difficult opposition.

Colum Prenderville i assume is the chap you are talking about, yeah he's involved. Andy Gaffney doesn't seem to be progressing at all and didn't even start for the 'boro the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Colum Prenderville i assume is the chap you are talking about, yeah he's involved. Andy Gaffney doesn't seem to be progressing at all and didn't even start for the 'boro the last day.

Andrew Gaffney is out injured, think that he will be out for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

sorry but his response to some "Dak Arts" V Waterford in Nowlan Park last year basically wrote him off for the season barring a few cameos.

And if you thought this, were the linesmen and umpires turning a blind eye. It is their job to point out the individual doing the 'dark arts' (bullying), because if Blanchfield re-acted, then he is in trouble.

In any case, he is only a young guy, involved in college and study, and getting an injury from the cowardly 'dark arts' would not be in his best interest college wise.

He is a big guy, he will come good, and when he starts scoring a bit more, that is the way to answer the 'dark arts' merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Very hard to know the form of the two teams on Sunday. After two matches in the League Kilkenny were odds on to be in a relegation play-off and the media were asking was it time for Cody to step aside. 6 unbeaten matches later , the League title was in the bag. But were Kilkenny flat to the boards? Were Tipp or Wexford bothered? Offaly ran Kilkenny to two points. If you looked at the forward line in the League Final of Sheahan, Walsh and Murphy, it wouldn't frighten anyone. Has the full back line of Holden, Walsh and Deegan been tested? Morrissey and Delaney? Are Mossy and Donnelly ready yet for Championship hurling? What happens when TJ has a quiet day?
    On the other hand, where are Dublin? Will they use a sweeper? What approach will Gilroy and Cunningham have? Will many travel from Kilkenny? I don't think Kilkenny will be there at the business end of the season but hopefully a number of players will have put down a marker for the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

We need positivity delaney, mossy and morrissey have certainly done well and donelley. The team can only beat what's put in front of them and regardless of were teams bothered if you have no incentive to win what's the point in playing. Alot of people wrote us off we won the league we have a good mixture of experience and youth and have teams actually underestimated us I'd rather be in kilkenny than waterford they looked awful and flat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭HughCassidy

If we don't win on Sunday that is our summer gone, as regards beating offaly by two points they beat the Dubs by thirteen points in croke park saying teams didn't wont to win Tipperary, Wexford, lads were saying Padraig Maher few more were missing if they had to be put in they played all the league final what was the result, you think Wexford would have put a marker down to kilkenny for the months ahead the week before the match all they thought they had to turn up. Here is hoping for a double win on Sunday I know it wont be easy the best of luck to both teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Lads bit confused here... minor inter county is still u-18 right? But at club level the grades are u-17 and u-19?
    But the football champ is u-17?
    I'm awfully confused Ted

minty81 wrote: »
    Lads bit confused here... minor inter county is still u-18 right? But at club level the grades are u-17 and u-19?
    But the football champ is u-17?
    I'm awfully confused Ted

Minor is now u 17 in all competitions. Club & County
    u21 in hurling at inter county level
    u20 in football at inter county level

Certain Starters for Sunday
    Eoin Murphy
    Joey Holden
    Padraig Walsh
    Paddy Deegan
    Enda Morrissey
    Cillian Buckley
    Richie Leahy
    TJ
    Wally
    Mossy Keaghan

Other 5 could be anyone

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

I am well aware that the topic of conversation is the upcoming Dublin game and that all the huffing on the Club scene is quickly forgotten now, but maybe now is the time to keep the club situation high on the agenda, if that’s what we believe is the biggest issue for GAA and not get drawn to the sun like Icarus. I’m sure most of you will say what a load of crap! I thought there was some good discussion last week. Some people put huge thought into potential solutions. I was hoping they might be teased out a bit more. I have some questions and some might try to tackle the answers over the coming weeks in between predicting teams for matches. The questions for me are part of identifying actual problems rather than the perceived problems.

A lot of people mentioned competitions for county players and non-county players and various combinations, even mixing availability within a single competition. So what is the definition of a county player? Does it include our county footballers, our county Intermediates, our county Under-21s. Lads just in to make up numbers who are never going to get to play actual matches, sometimes called extended panel, are they included? If a lad is called in for a single training session or trial or even a challenge match, is he deemed a county player? The reason why I ask these questions is competitions can only run on rules and anyone who has ever been involved in administration know that rules have to be precise and water-tight. Unfortunately, when they are tight they become a deterrent to contributing to a county panel at all if you are only in that extended panel bracket or just outside it.

The second thing comes to mind is “meaningful matches”. What is deemed an adequate number of meaningful matches for the different category of players? The county player, the county panellist, the top first team player who is not with a county team, the first team panellist, The top special junior players, the special junior panellist and the social player. Do any clubs or has any club done any analysis on these category of player and noted games and game time actually played? Is a meaningful match purely deemed to be a championship or league/championship match? In that case I would say some lads hardly ever got a meaningful match ever before April for clubs. What existing competitions fit into the meaningful match category? And if we replace our Byrne Cups etc. with some other competition, surely it’s the same thing with just another name. If that is the case then why aren’t we currently counting Byrne cup etc as meaningful matches?

Finally for now, I still note those who claimed to be part of the CPA in Kilkenny, still have not come back with anything. I know some think I’m being smart… And I am to be fair! but a lot of people have pinned their hopes for change on the CPA. As you all know, I believe change will come about when the players come together within their club and use the democratic system that is already there. For now, still inviting submissions from the CPA members on what they have planned for Kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    I am well aware that the topic of conversation is the upcoming Dublin game and that all the huffing on the Club scene is quickly forgotten now, but maybe now is the time to keep the club situation high on the agenda, if that’s what we believe is the biggest issue for GAA and not get drawn to the sun like Icarus. I’m sure most of you will say what a load of crap! I thought there was some good discussion last week. Some people put huge thought into potential solutions. I was hoping they might be teased out a bit more. I have some questions and some might try to tackle the answers over the coming weeks in between predicting teams for matches. The questions for me are part of identifying actual problems rather than the perceived problems.

A lot of people mentioned competitions for county players and non-county players and various combinations, even mixing availability within a single competition. So what is the definition of a county player? Does it include our county footballers, our county Intermediates, our county Under-21s. Lads just in to make up numbers who are never going to get to play actual matches, sometimes called extended panel, are they included? If a lad is called in for a single training session or trial or even a challenge match, is he deemed a county player? The reason why I ask these questions is competitions can only run on rules and anyone who has ever been involved in administration know that rules have to be precise and water-tight. Unfortunately, when they are tight they become a deterrent to contributing to a county panel at all if you are only in that extended panel bracket or just outside it.

The second thing comes to mind is “meaningful matches”. What is deemed an adequate number of meaningful matches for the different category of players? The county player, the county panellist, the top first team player who is not with a county team, the first team panellist, The top special junior players, the special junior panellist and the social player. Do any clubs or has any club done any analysis on these category of player and noted games and game time actually played? Is a meaningful match purely deemed to be a championship or league/championship match? In that case I would say some lads hardly ever got a meaningful match ever before April for clubs. What existing competitions fit into the meaningful match category? And if we replace our Byrne Cups etc. with some other competition, surely it’s the same thing with just another name. If that is the case then why aren’t we currently counting Byrne cup etc as meaningful matches?

Finally for now, I still note those who claimed to be part of the CPA in Kilkenny, still have not come back with anything. I know some think I’m being smart… And I am to be fair! but a lot of people have pinned their hopes for change on the CPA. As you all know, I believe change will come about when the players come together within their club and use the democratic system that is already there. For now, still inviting submissions from the CPA members on what they have planned for Kilkenny.

How about keeping the championships the way they, but with a completely separate league for the clubs players (county senior, U21 & intermediate have first call on players for the club league), but with some prize money involved?

Obviously the leagues would have to be structured to provide a serious element of competitiveness to keep up the standard within the county along with the prize money as motivation to compete.

The way I'd do the club league would be:

- 10 team leagues. Round robin. 4 home games, 4 away, 1 neutral venue.
    - Bottom 2 automatically relegated.
    - 3rd & 4th bottom in relegation playoff. Loser gets relegated.
    - 5th & 6th received €500 grant for underage.
    - 3rd & 4th in league shield playoff. Each side gets €500 in underage grant. outside top Division, the shield winner would also get promoted.
    - Top 2 play league final. Loser gets €1000 underage grant. Winner would get €2000 underage grant, and (obviously) be Divisional champions. In the lower divisions, league finalists would get automatically promoted.

Eligible teams would include A teams, B teams or C teams from registered clubs, of which there would have to be squads submitted prior to the league starting to prevent A or B players playing on the lower teams.
    In order to promote the game more, new clubs can also be admitted to the league (starting at the lowest division) as long as they can have a minimum of 19 squad players available, be they village teams, pub teams, business teams or regional teams of players not registered to a club.
    And games outside the top two Divisions (including finals/playoffs) would allow for either 13 or 15 a side to facilitate clubs with small draws or populations, or those with a few county players taking from their ranks.

Prize money allocation would apply to the top 3 Divisions only in order to keep the county expenses in rude health. The Division 4 champions would receive an underage grant of €1000.
    Clubs can only receive one payment per year, so if a B team wins prize money, the prize money would be allocated to the next individual club, with winning club keeping the bigger prize.

The idea of the 3 up/3 down would be to have a highly competitive league in order to keep up the standard within the county, and have a high turnover of clubs being exposed to players and teams from a higher level which would hopefully have a knock-on effect in the championship.

• Advertisement

Start the league the January, League final first week in April. Start the championship 3rd/4th Week in April. Leinster/ Munster final 2nd Week in June All Ireland Qf Week Later Semi Finals last week in June Final 2nd week in July.
    Rest of the year back to the clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Really, is now the time really to keep this club debate going , a subject that has been flogged to death and back again for over three weeks on this forum. The Intercounty Championship comes but once a year and weather you like it or not it is the single biggest factor in the promotion of the popularity of our games  but then again popularity may not not be high on the agenda of the club purists., obviously it is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I am well aware that the topic of conversation is the upcoming Dublin game and that all the huffing on the Club scene is quickly forgotten now, but maybe now is the time to keep the club situation high on the agenda, if that’s what we believe is the biggest issue for GAA and not get drawn to the sun like Icarus. I’m sure most of you will say what a load of crap!
    Really, is now the time really to keep this club debate going , a subject that has been flogged to death and back again for over three weeks on this forum. The Intercounty Championship comes but once a year and weather you like it or not it is the single biggest factor in the promotion of the popularity of our games  but then again popularity may not not be high on the agenda of the club purists., obviously it is not.

Lads, ye realise we can talk about two different things in one thread?

Of course we can discuss two subject at once but every so often one should take precedence. There is a time and place to discuss the local club scene, this may be the place but it is not the time five days ahead of a very important intercounty match. Now is most certainly not the time to keep the club scene high on the agenda  to do so is to the detriment of the intercounty scene but maybe that is the intention.

Eoin Murphy
    Joey Holden
    Padraig Walsh
    Paddy Deegan
    Enda Morrissey
    Cillian Buckley
    Richie Leahy
    TJ
    Wally
    Mossy Keaghan

Other 5 could be anyone

Based on league form it'd be harsh on James maher to get dropped.He improved through out the league but id also expect fogarty to start sunday so we could see a half foward line of leahy,tj and mossy.
    Aylward will probably start if his fit and its a toss up for the other spot.
    It's hard to know how training is going or who's going well.
    It's hard to see jason cleere being considered after all the hurling he missed.
    Eoin murphy reckons hogan,colin and murphy will see action this weekend it'd be hard to see them starting although they could be introduced at somestage.

Of course we can discuss two subject at once but every so often one should take precedence. There is a time and place to discuss the local club scene, this may be the place but it is not the time five days ahead of a very important intercounty match. Now is most certainly not the time to keep the club scene high on the agenda to do so is to the detriment of the intercounty scene but maybe that is the intention.

I believe that is the issue alright for most people. Forget about the club until the inter county is out of the way, which is the middle of August (3 months) or maybe second weekend in September if you were interested in Camogie.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

Eoin Murphy
    Joey Holden
    Padraig Walsh
    Paddy Deegan
    Enda Morrissey
    Cillian Buckley
    Richie Leahy
    TJ
    Wally
    Mossy Keaghan

Other 5 could be anyone

Based on league form it'd be harsh on James maher to get dropped.He improved through out the league but id also expect fogarty to start sunday so we could see a half foward line of leahy,tj and mossy.
    Eoin murphy reckons hogan,colin and murphy will see action this weekend it'd be hard to see them starting although they could be introduced at somestage.

Where did Murphy say that just curious to read /listen to the interview more than anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Of course we can discuss two subject at once but every so often one should take precedence. There is a time and place to discuss the local club scene, this may be the place but it is not the time five days ahead of a very important intercounty match. Now is most certainly not the time to keep the club scene high on the agenda  to do so is to the detriment of the intercounty scene but maybe that is the intention.

I agree, especially when the CPA appears to have lost its voice when needed most. We could all anticipate the potential problems when the new structure was announced. That's when the CPA needed to get active but didn't. They may wait now until after the summer, that's if they are going to get involved in a meaningful way.

Regards next Sunday, I hope Fogarty is flying again as he'd be a great addition. Hopefully Aylward is fit again too as you can't beat competition for places. Fennelly, Murphy and Hogan should also be in the mix. Of course we're going to need them all over the next five weeks with all the action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

No clubs, no county.

So if you don’t think now’s the time to keep the club scene high on the agenda when the whole country, or a sizable part of it at least, will be talking about hurling, then quite frankly you’re of your rocker.

There’s more to hurling than senior inter-county. And there’s certainly more to Kilkenny hurling than the Kilkenny senior team.

So if lads want to talk about things affecting Kilkenny hurling on a Kilkenny forum then tough sh**, that’s what’s going to happen. And while success for the county is vital, the clubs having a future is way more vital.

And given the clubs are likely at this stage to have played one meaningful game in the first 6 months of the year having in all likelihood trained for 3/4 months of that time, with a huge gap between the next round of games, it’s a problem worth discussing, no matter what the county seniors teams are getting ready for.

The club scene, or rather the increasing lack of it, is a far bigger issue than how the seniors get on.

blackwave wrote: »
    Eoin Murphy
    Joey Holden
    Padraig Walsh
    Paddy Deegan
    Enda Morrissey
    Cillian Buckley
    Richie Leahy
    TJ
    Wally
    Mossy Keaghan

Other 5 could be anyone

Where did Murphy say that just curious to read /listen to the interview more than anything?

It was in a interview during the week he was doing the launch last week.ill try get you a link.
    The kilkenny people also said the 3 lads should make the panel at least hopefully we'll see kevin kelly back in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

Kilkenny Under 16s won the Arrabawn Tournament last year defeating Tipp in the Final 3.21 to 2.10, having beaten Limerick, Wexford and Clare in earlier rounds. In the main that team/panel will represent us at minor (under17) this year. The panel last year was:

Panel: Jason Brennan (Young Irelands), Tim Corkery (Bennettsbridge), Jamie Young (O’Loughlin Gaels), Chris Korff (Erin’s Own), Shane Staunton (Clara), Jack Morrissey (St. Patricks), Harry Walsh (Dunnamaggin), Conor Kelly (O’Loughlin Gaels) (Captain), Cillian Rudkins (Barrow Rangers), Darragh Maher (St. Lachtains), Jack Buggy (Erins Own), Cian Kenny (James Stephens ), Ciaran Brennan (Bennettsbridge), George Murphy (Rower Inistioge), Killian Hogan (Mooncoin), Stephen Keoghan (Graigue Ballycallan), David Fogarty (O’ Loughlin Gaels), Cathal O’Leary (St. Lachtains), Jack Hickey (Emeralds), Jordan Muldowney (Fenians), Jamie Harkin (Bennettsbridge), Jack Holden (Thomastown), Dylan Crehan (Dunnamaggin), Padraig Dempsey (Mullinavat)

randd1 wrote: »

No clubs, no county.

So if you don’t think now’s the time to keep the club scene high on the agenda when the whole country, or a sizable part of it at least, will be talking about hurling, then quite frankly you’re of your rocker.

There’s more to hurling than senior inter-county. And there’s certainly more to Kilkenny hurling than the Kilkenny senior team.

So if lads want to talk about things affecting Kilkenny hurling on a Kilkenny forum then tough sh**, that’s what’s going to happen. And while success for the county is vital, the clubs having a future is way more vital.

And given the clubs are likely at this stage to have played one meaningful game in the first 6 months of the year having in all likelihood trained for 3/4 months of that time, with a huge gap between the next round of games, it’s a problem worth discussing, no matter what the county seniors teams are getting ready for.

The club scene, or rather the increasing lack of it, is a far bigger issue than how the seniors get on.
    There you go again with the elitist stuff. No one ever said the clubs were not important, they are, and yes even the dumbest idiot out there knows there would no intercounty without the clubs. The question was never that,surely practically on the eve of one of the most important inter county championships games for a for  long time you can give the club scene a rest, according to most pundits on here we will not be involved in the business end of the inter county championship anyway so what is the problem with concentrating  on the upcoming match  against Dublin.  Me thinks there is a far bigger agenda going on here with people who have gripes with either the County Boards or Brian Cody or both.

Quote - Me thinks there is a far bigger agenda going on here with people who have gripes with either the County Boards or Brian Cody or both. -

Exactly.

Grats wrote: »
    Kilkenny Under 16s won the Arrabawn Tournament last year defeating Tipp in the Final 3.21 to 2.10, having beaten Limerick, Wexford and Clare in earlier rounds. In the main that team/panel will represent us at minor (under17) this year. The panel last year was:

Panel: Jason Brennan (Young Irelands), Tim Corkery (Bennettsbridge), Jamie Young (O’Loughlin Gaels), Chris Korff (Erin’s Own), Shane Staunton (Clara), Jack Morrissey (St. Patricks), Harry Walsh (Dunnamaggin), Conor Kelly (O’Loughlin Gaels) (Captain), Cillian Rudkins (Barrow Rangers), Darragh Maher (St. Lachtains), Jack Buggy (Erins Own), Cian Kenny (James Stephens ), Ciaran Brennan (Bennettsbridge), George Murphy (Rower Inistioge), Killian Hogan (Mooncoin), Stephen Keoghan (Graigue Ballycallan), David Fogarty (O’ Loughlin Gaels), Cathal O’Leary (St. Lachtains), Jack Hickey (Emeralds), Jordan Muldowney (Fenians), Jamie Harkin (Bennettsbridge), Jack Holden (Thomastown), Dylan Crehan (Dunnamaggin), Padraig Dempsey (Mullinavat)

Yeah, think there's only 5 or 6 of this years under 16's as part of the extended panel and Padraig Moylan(Dicksboro) is the only one likely to make the match day panel, he did play centre back in a recent challenge match against Clare. But if he didn't make the team we would be fielding 15 up to the age, when was the last time that happened?

Eoin Guilfoyle(James Stephens) missed out last year because he was sick, i would expect him to be starting corner forward on Sunday.

There you go again with the elitist stuff. No one ever said the clubs were not important, they are, and yes even the dumbest idiot out there knows there would no intercounty without the clubs. The question was never that,surely practically on the eve of one of the most important inter county championships games for a for long time you can give the club scene a rest, according to most pundits on here we will not be involved in the business end of the inter county championship anyway so what is the problem with concentrating on the upcoming match against Dublin. Me thinks there is a far bigger agenda going on here with people who have gripes with either the County Boards or Brian Cody or both.

I was the one who reignited the club discussion and I didn't think anyone could accuse me of having a gripe with the county board and/or Brian Cody. If you interpreted that, either you have serious English interpretation issues or I seriously need to take lessons in writing English. I hope its the first, if its not you probably don't understand what I have written this time either.

As one poster said there is nothing stopping both topics being discussed. So far all we've seen from you is gripes about everyone else's posts. Why don't you just post your thoughts on Kilkenny instead?

I personally feel there is very little to be said unless you want to get involved in the predict the lineout game. I personally find that boring because none of us can control it. It is better to discuss it after its selected. And the post mortem is always good craic. I do think Kilkenny will be involved in the business end of the championship. As for this being the "most important inter county championships games for a long time". Surely its the most important since we played Waterford last year, which was our last championship game. The Offaly one will then become the "most important" since we played Dublin. In fact its really a non statement because your next game is always the "most important".

I reiterate that now is the time to discuss the club scene. Three months time is too late as players will be back playing and focusing on their "most Important" match and then immediately after that you are into AGM season. Players now have a chance to get together and formulate a plan to drive change through their club AGMs. The break is their opportunity to get organised. I am disappointed nobdy even attempted an opinion on the definition of a county player and/or the target number of "meaningful games". But if nobody understood the questions I was posing, that would make sense.

Yeah very true hard to see James Maher being demoted, just thought with Fogarty back his place was uncertain. Id leave Conor Delaney wing back over Fogarty, as he has been very solid since introduced.

Yeah very true hard to see James Maher being demoted, just thought with Fogarty back his place was uncertain. Id leave Conor Delaney wing back over Fogarty, as he has been very solid since introduced.

James Maher has been making good progress from match to match and should start on Sunday. Fogarty may have to be slotted in at centre back should Buckley fail to pass a fitness test.

Delaney has went about his business i wouldn't knock him but morrissey has being excellent so far.
    There's talk of jason cleere being close to the team sunday which would be a surprise considering his missed so much.
    I suppose we'll know more tomorrow night what way things have being going over the last few weeks.

The club is the heart of the community it was sad the last couple of weeks when I take the dog for a walk silence as I pass the hurling field, only a few of the officals maintaining the place I don't think that's what I wont an empty field in May when the ground is good I say other people would agree with me. Can not go on Sunday due to an anniversary mass the best of luck to our minors , seniors on sunday the club is represented in both grades it was evenings like this where it all started in the local club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

The club is the heart of the community it was sad the last couple of weeks when I take the dog for a walk silence as I pass the hurling field, only a few of the officals maintaining the place I don't think that's what I wont an empty field in May when the ground is good I say other people would agree with me. Can not go on Sunday due to an anniversary mass the best of luck to our minors , seniors on sunday the club is represented in both grades it was evenings like this where it all started in the local club.

Interesting to hear Tommy Walsh on off the ball today saying that the club issues cannot be forgotten now just because the Inter county season kicking back in fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I was the one who reignited the club discussion and I didn't think anyone could accuse me of having a gripe with the county board and/or Brian Cody. If you interpreted that, either you have serious English interpretation issues or I seriously need to take lessons in writing English. I hope its the first, if its not you probably don't understand what I have written this time either.

As one poster said there is nothing stopping both topics being discussed. So far all we've seen from you is gripes about everyone else's posts. Why don't you just post your thoughts on Kilkenny instead?

I personally feel there is very little to be said unless you want to get involved in the predict the lineout game. I personally find that boring because none of us can control it. It is better to discuss it after its selected. And the post mortem is always good craic. I do think Kilkenny will be involved in the business end of the championship. As for this being the "most important inter county championships games for a long time". Surely its the most important since we played Waterford last year, which was our last championship game. The Offaly one will then become the "most important" since we played Dublin. In fact its really a non statement because your next game is always the "most important".

I reiterate that now is the time to discuss the club scene. Three months time is too late as players will be back playing and focusing on their "most Important" match and then immediately after that you are into AGM season. Players now have a chance to get together and formulate a plan to drive change through their club AGMs. The break is their opportunity to get organised. I am disappointed nobdy even attempted an opinion on the definition of a county player and/or the target number of "meaningful games". But if nobody understood the questions I was posing, that would make sense.

Firstly I agree that the club issue can't and shouldn't be forgotten or not discussed. Second I don't see why some are trying to censor the discussion because there's people discussing something that they don't currently deem important. If you don't want to read or part take in the club discussion then just scan the post for intercounty players names or other counties being listed. If you find those read that section of the post otherwise keep scanning the post with the offending club discussion and move on to the next post you are interested in.

I don't have time to tackle all the club issues raised by Hawkeye in your original post (as I've had a long day in work and it's late) but I will give you my opinion or observation on one of the points you raise.

You seem to have a big issue with the CPA and that they don't exist or shouldn't in Kilkenny. Well firstly I signed up and have taken all their surveys so far. If you don't like the CPA that's fine your entitled to your opinion, why you don't like them is beyond me but there you go. You say that they shouldn't exist and that players should get together to decide what they want and take it through their club and up the line. That's a perfectly laudable idea and it's the way it's always been. That's also why f*** all has changed that current players have ever desired.

There are two reasons for this
    1. players are by definition young.
    2. Officials are by and large past playing age in most clubs and well beyond in lots.

What difference does that make? Well I know a full team of young lads who are currently playing Senior club in Kilkenny. As young lads they have certain priorities in life and in no particular order i would say they are these, what's between their legs and what they do with it, beer, college, fun, hurling, fitness, everything else.

I have heard them whinge and give out about the fixtures and other problems but they will not engage in the current process for a variety of reasons. They're even unaware they can or should have a say.
    1. Confidence that they should be the ones to talk about it.
    2. Fear of club officials getting back at them (not an issue in my club but would be in some)
    3. They have too much going on to be arsed, someone else will solve it.

Young lads are useless to engage but that is why the CPA was formed so the load could be spread, the fixtures could be sorted and the CPA could ride off into the sunset.

One last thing is a meaningful game is a game where there is something at stake that is valued. A player really values a Championship medal he kind of values a League medal but it helps him get his ultimate goal the championship medal. I don't know any player that values a Byrne or Aylward cup medal. I'm sure there are a few who have won them over the years that did but the vast majority don't.

As a result the meaningful games in Kilkenny adult hurling are all Championship and league games. No one takes seriously the other games, be they challenge or other competitions.
    You might not like or agree with what I've said about player's attitudes. I didn't at first when I saw lads who had ever reason to give out or should take a game more seriously but I can tell you for a fact that is the attitude of most young lads playing currently. There will always be exceptions but they are in the minority I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

What difference does that make? Well I know a full team of young lads who are currently playing Senior club in Kilkenny. As young lads they have certain priorities in life and in no particular order i would say they are these, what's between their legs and what they do with it, beer, college, fun, hurling, fitness, everything else.

Great post.
    And, also, don't forget, there are plenty of other sports vying for their attention. Soccer and rugby wont take up as much of their time either!
    The GAA have to be careful how they sort out the mess currently. This could impact on a lot of lads, and maybe turn them away from the game. Everyones time is precious nowadays, and everyone is so busy , so any reason/excuse/problem could make a lad decide "Feck it, I don't need this hassle"

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

suirway wrote: »
    Interesting to hear Tommy Walsh on off the ball today saying that the club issues cannot be forgotten now just because the Inter county season kicking back in fully.

I wouldn't be suprised with that the club would be the heart of communities like Tullarron other areas around the County.

There's more to hurling than just county senior hurling. There's more to club hurling than just senior club hurling. Check out the Kilkenny GAA fixtures lists and you'll see the amount of matches that are taking place every evening at every age level. There can hardly be too many idle pitches or idle players! I was at four matches myself in the last week alone.

The senior club/county situation is a total mess which many anticipated it would be when the new structure was first announced. Ned Quinn proposed delaying its introduction at the time but was shot down. It will have to be revisited before next year's fixtures are made. And it's imperative that the CPA shout loud at an early stage this time.

In the meantime let's not forget the feast of club hurling that is currently taking place and enjoy supporting it.

Firstly I agree that the club issue can't and shouldn't be forgotten or not discussed. Second I don't see why some are trying to censor the discussion because there's people discussing something that they don't currently deem important. If you don't want to read or part take in the club discussion then just scan the post for intercounty players names or other counties being listed. If you find those read that section of the post otherwise keep scanning the post with the offending club discussion and move on to the next post you are interested in.

I don't have time to tackle all the club issues raised by Hawkeye in your original post (as I've had a long day in work and it's late) but I will give you my opinion or observation on one of the points you raise.

You seem to have a big issue with the CPA and that they don't exist or shouldn't in Kilkenny. Well firstly I signed up and have taken all their surveys so far. If you don't like the CPA that's fine your entitled to your opinion, why you don't like them is beyond me but there you go. You say that they shouldn't exist and that players should get together to decide what they want and take it through their club and up the line. That's a perfectly laudable idea and it's the way it's always been. That's also why f*** all has changed that current players have ever desired.

There are two reasons for this
    1. players are by definition young.
    2. Officials are by and large past playing age in most clubs and well beyond in lots.

I have heard them whinge and give out about the fixtures and other problems but they will not engage in the current process for a variety of reasons. They're even unaware they can or should have a say.
    1. Confidence that they should be the ones to talk about it.
    2. Fear of club officials getting back at them (not an issue in my club but would be in some)
    3. They have too much going on to be arsed, someone else will solve it.

Young lads are useless to engage but that is why the CPA was formed so the load could be spread, the fixtures could be sorted and the CPA could ride off into the sunset.

One last thing is a meaningful game is a game where there is something at stake that is valued. A player really values a Championship medal he kind of values a League medal but it helps him get his ultimate goal the championship medal. I don't know any player that values a Byrne or Aylward cup medal. I'm sure there are a few who have won them over the years that did but the vast majority don't.

As a result the meaningful games in Kilkenny adult hurling are all Championship and league games. No one takes seriously the other games, be they challenge or other competitions.
    You might not like or agree with what I've said about player's attitudes. I didn't at first when I saw lads who had ever reason to give out or should take a game more seriously but I can tell you for a fact that is the attitude of most young lads playing currently. There will always be exceptions but they are in the minority I'm afraid.

Very reasonable post. Don't disagree with the majority of it. Some points well worth teasing out especially the bit on meaningful games but out of respect for the lads who want to discuss Sunday's game, I'll leave it for a few days.

One thing that did strike me, only this morning. (I don't know how I let it escape me prior to this!!) There is no Munster hurling this weekend! Therefore Munster counties did have an extra week in order to fit in club games or in Waterford's case an extra 2 weeks. Wexford also had an extra week due to the bye, so comparing Kilkenny's April for Clubs with other counties is not really comparing like with like, especially given Kilkenny were in the league final. Anyway we'll get back to it and hopefully everyone will be positive after the weekend result and fair play to Tommy Walsh too.

• Advertisement

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0511/962855-gaa-team-news-cuala-trio-start-for-dubs-against-cats/
    Dublin team announced plenty of size in their half back line.The talk is eoghan o donnell who is a very good hurler is going to man mark tj.Parnell as we know is tight and id expect a lot of traffic between the two 40s with both teams trying to isolate one on one's inside the full foward lines.
    This is a tricky match for kk but id be hopefull the homework was done the last four weeks and we'll be ready sunday for the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Team v Dub
    E Murphy
    J Holden P Walsh P Deegan
    C Delaney C Buckley E Morrissey
    R Leahy J Maher
    M Keoghan TJ Reid J Donnelly
    B Sheehan W Walsh G Aylward
    Subs
    D Brennan
    C O Shea
    P Murphy
    C Browne
    J Cleere
    L Ryan
    C Fogarty
    P Lyng
    L Blanchfield
    C Fennelly
    L Scanlon

No Richie Hogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Very surprised Fogarty doesn't start what with the game in Parnell. Fair bench though with him, Murphy and Fennelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Team v Dub
    E Murphy
    J Holden P Walsh P Deegan
    C Delaney C Buckley E Morrissey
    R Leahy J Maher
    M Keoghan TJ Reid J Donnelly
    B Sheehan W Walsh G Aylward
    Subs
    D Brennan
    C O Shea
    P Murphy
    C Browne
    J Cleere
    L Ryan
    C Fogarty
    P Lyng
    L Blanchfield
    C Fennelly
    L Scanlon

No Richie Hogan
    League final team plus Aylward. I'm happy enough with that, doubt Paul Murphy and Colin Fennelly are, but I'm sure with the new schedule it'll be handy to have lads with that kind of talent breaking their arses trying to get onto the starting team.

Happy that they've stayed loyal to most of the squad that brought us the league.its a pity no richie hogan but good to see cleere and the two army lads on the panel hopefully we go well Sunday and we look like we're building a good squad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement