Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The "less skilful player,"

The blind ref more like,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Comerman

20 quid next Saturday for the minor game and probably 20 for the senior on Sunday plus 15 for the young lad. cute hoors couldn't/wouldn't put the two games on together like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

Really enjoyable game looking on as a neutral, KK have to be happy despite shipping 3 Goals to keep at it and take it in the end, Dubs were much better than expected they got some well worked scores and could have won, difference between the 2 teams was free-taking accuracy and KK's subs were slicker.
    KK looked lighter physically on TV anyway - was this the case? If it is then it'll be a difficult handicap to overcome further down the line.
    Colin Fennelly and Paul Murphy looked fresh and ready to rock, their enforced absence could be just what they wanted to recharge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Just back feom game. As alluded to, very lucky to get the win. Dublin dominated the skies but they hit a few bad efforts from frees. Brutal at inter-county level. Losing Keaney 10mins from the end was a killer for Dublin. He was hurling really well.

Deegan was sweeper in first half and he was ineffective. His positional sense was way off. Didn't know what area to cover at times. Ball into the Dublin forwards was good.

In comparsion to KK, our ball in was always a backs' ball. How many times did their sweeper cut out/get on the ball? Cillian put in a good shift but his ball into the forwards was brutal - with snow on it.

Positives - got the win while never giving up. Showed great heart. Delighted for LB. Finished his chance well. In fairness, Dublin player should have rugby tackled him to the ground. He was getting a yellow card anyway. Dublin will be unhappy that they didn't see the game out after hitting the goals and having gaps of 5/6 points in the second half.

After first mistake, Joey was very nervous and his confidence went. He made another mistake in first half and we were lucky we were not punished.

All in all, it's a win. PP is a tight spot. Space is at a premium but Dublin worked hard and hurled well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I think the 3 goals conceded will obviously upset cody the most.Rushe caused havoc on padraig (granted he was barging a few times) but had we being bet today by five or 6 points we wouldnt have had much complaints.
    Joey fumbled alot of ball after a good league for him today was very dissapointing.
    Dublin half back line cleaned us completly out but we cant rip the script completely up after today.
    The stats dont lie dublin are very difficult in parnell park we hung in and finished 1-6 to 2 points.
    Our bench won us the match murphy strenghted the half back line and blanch and colin got 1-2 between them.
    Sheehan can feel hard done by and alyward finding it hard to get some form.
    Scanlon tried hard when came on.
    Cody will know he'll need to tighten up the defence we could see cleere and murphy start next week.fogarty didnt make much of an impact but maher hit alot of ball and chipped in with 2 points and is a good addition this year.
    I wouldnt be too critical of the young lads this is a learning curve for them leahy,mossy and sheehan are good hurlers today will stand to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

According to RTE Parnell Park is 12ft shorter and 24 ft narrower than other major hurling stadium.If this is not an advantage to a home team then nothing is as it makes marking & bunching considerably easier thus favouring the more physical and less skilful player. That is a simple fact. With seven debutants and a lot of them very young  Kilkenny did very well to hang in when the going got tough. It was not easy to come back from a pair of body blow goals one a definite result of a charge the other being its first cousin and both at a time when Kilkenny appeared to be gaining a bit of momentum. That allied to Alywards miss in the first half a miss that would have been easier to put in the net I suspect made a big difference to the way the game subsequently played out. Not perfect by any means from Kilkenny but not too bad either taking everything into consideration and scoring 1-25 in the tight confines of Parnell Park was no mean achievement.

Can't help but think that if Dublin were playing any other team the game would have been played in croke park. Kk not intimidated by Crocker,but were in Parnell pk.

According to RTE Parnell Park is 12ft shorter and 24 ft narrower than other major hurling stadium.If this is not an advantage to a home team then nothing is as it makes marking & bunching considerably easier thus favouring the more physical and less skilful player. That is a simple fact. With seven debutants and a lot of them very young  Kilkenny did very well to hang in when the going got tough. It was not easy to come back from a pair of body blow goals one a definite result of a charge the other being its first cousin and both at a time when Kilkenny appeared to be gaining a bit of momentum. That allied to Alywards miss in the first half a miss that would have been easier to put in the net I suspect made a big difference to the way the game subsequently played out. Not perfect by any means from Kilkenny but not too bad either taking everything into consideration and scoring 1-25 in the tight confines of Parnell Park was no mean achievement.

Can't help but think that if Dublin were playing any other team the game would have been played in croke park. Kk not intimidated by Crocker,but were in Parnell pk.
    Dublins two home games are in parnell and theyve a very good record there.Its there home pitch,they train and play most club matches in parnell itll obviously be an advantage.
    As i said earlier gilroy had them spot on today and the wides and dropped balls in the first half was probably the difference in losing and winning this match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Comerman

I was never a fan of Duignan but ires me to hear him say Blanch gave the defender a clear push on the back for the goal But he failed to notice Rush taking at least 12 steps to get around Padraig for Dublins first goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭HughCassidy

brookville wrote: »
    Dublins two home games are in parnell and theyve a very good record there.Its there home pitch,they train and play most club matches in parnell itll obviously be an advantage.
    As i said earlier gilroy had them spot on today and the wides and dropped balls in the first half was probably the difference in losing and winning this match.

Parnell park is there home ground when it suits them, they were lucky to finish the game with fifteen that tackle on Paddy Deegan by Liam Rushe was bad but the man Deegan is got on with it he didn't carry on like the Dublin goalie near the end. Luke Scanlon through himself around when he came on. We got a result kept going to the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

WTF?
    Dublin hurlers perfer Parnell Park.
    What a silly statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i agree very difficult place to go , personally i think the new idea is an excellent concept , today it gave colin fennelly his return in a good competitive game not a walk in the park in a leinster semi final against laois offaly or wexford (past tense)

but this has to go down as a huge result in terms of preparation for the weeks and months ahead , fair enough ye were not overly fluent from play but i have been impressed with the kilkenny progress since the early stages of the league especially in the middle 3rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

WTF?
    Dublin hurlers perfer Parnell Park.
    What a silly statement.

think they have only lost 2 league games there and now one championship game since 2011 or something , they have a serious record there

Good to see kevin kelly with the extended panel today.didnt see hogan maybe they showed him on tv?
    I expect an improved performance next week with a few changes.
    Also well done to the 17s today from what i seen conor kelly looks a very good talent and morrissey full foward was good hopefully like our seniors and our league campaign we'll improve as we go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Not alot to add to what's already been said, but I think our freetakers deserve another mention. Reid quite from open play but flawless from placed balls and 4/4 today for Murphy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Village87

Parnell park is there home ground when it suits them, they were lucky to finish the game with fifteen that tackle on Paddy Deegan by Liam Rushe was bad but the man Deegan is got on with it he didn't carry on like the Dublin goalie near the end. Luke Scanlon through himself around when he came on. We got a result kept going to the end.

Deegan has a habit of ducking down low when running out with the ball. Very dangerous play by him. Rushe is entitled to tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Village87

I think the 3 goals conceded will obviously upset cody the most.Rushe caused havoc on padraig (granted he was barging a few times) but had we being bet today by five or 6 points we wouldnt have had much complaints.
    Joey fumbled alot of ball after a good league for him today was very dissapointing.
    Dublin half back line cleaned us completly out but we cant rip the script completely up after today.
    The stats dont lie dublin are very difficult in parnell park we hung in and finished 1-6 to 2 points.
    Our bench won us the match murphy strenghted the half back line and blanch and colin got 1-2 between them.
    Cody will know he'll need to tighten up the defence we could see cleere and murphy start next week.fogarty didnt make much of an impact but maher hit alot of ball and chipped in with 2 points and is a good addition this year.
    I wouldnt be too critical of the young lads this is a learning curve for them leahy,mossy and sheehan are good hurlers today will stand to them.

Joey Holden was awful. Least skilful player on the field. The amount of times he slowed down the ball going into Kilkenny forwards & put his team under by pressure by constantly fumbling was terrible to watch. Cillian Buckley had a very tough day at the office, Keaney bullied him and his delivery was awful, miss hitting ball straight down on the sweeper on numerous occasions, he needs to work on his striking and his left hand side
    Padraig Walsh had his hands full on Rushe even with a sweeper there got cleaned out. Deegan as sweeper was lost out there.

James Maher excellent through out, very good at carrying the ball out of trouble and making use of it. Leahy was quiet too. Fogarty didnt strike a ball when on.
    Wally very good and TJ did well considering how well marshaled he was. Colin Fennelly played very well when on. Keoghan, Sheehan & Donnelly found the intensity tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Village87 wrote: »
    Joey Holden was awful. Least skilful player on the field. The amount of times he slowed down the ball going into Kilkenny forwards & put his team under by pressure by constantly fumbling was terrible to watch. Cillian Buckley had a very tough day at the office, Keaney bullied him and his delivery was awful, miss hitting ball straight down on the sweeper on numerous occasions, he needs to work on his striking and his left hand side
    Padraig Walsh had his hands full on Rushe even with a sweeper there got cleaned out. Deegan as sweeper was lost out there.

James Maher excellent through out, very good at carrying the ball out of trouble and making use of it. Leahy was quiet too. Fogarty didnt strike a ball when on.
    Wally very good and TJ did well considering how well marshaled he was. Colin Fennelly played very well when on. Keoghan, Sheehan & Donnelly found the intensity tough.

How do you think Paul Murphy got on?

He hit him with a shoulder!

Watched it again, Blanchfield goal was as legitimate as ours. Kirwan made some weird decisions but we lost it ourselves.

Great game to watch, in hindsight.

New format has certainly attracted attention. Tullamore and Parnell both sold out. A lot of people couldn't get in yesterday. Our year will still depend on Offaly game back here.

So we will have to beat Offaly twice... :)

Deegan has a habit of ducking down low when running out with the ball. Very dangerous play by him. Rushe is entitled to tackle.

What are you on about Deegan was playing the ball Rushe was playing the man he did the same in Thurles a couple of years ago was sent off for it.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    He hit him with a shoulder!

Watched it again, Blanchfield goal was as legitimate as ours. Kirwan made some weird decisions but we lost it ourselves.

Great game to watch, in hindsight.

New format has certainly attracted attention. Tullamore and Parnell both sold out. A lot of people couldn't get in yesterday. Our year will still depend on Offaly game back here.

So we will have to beat Offaly twice... :)

Where was the shoulder.

• Advertisement

Where was Deegan's head? Only reason Rushie got sent off against Waterford - which is game I assume you are referring to - is that Maurice took a dive.

Anyway, game over. Team that is ahead on the board is the best team. Shaping up to be a good summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Lads, on the tackle on Paddy Smyth I was more interested in TJ coming in, i am in Asia so was watching on a phone, but it looked like he slapped down on his helmet, I may be wrong. KK are never beaten and I think the loss of Keaney was the turning point. Anyway I think Dublin got more positives out of the game than KK, a work in progress as they say. Well done to KK on the win, great game to watch even on a phone!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

You'd need to go back a long time to find a worse KK championship hurler than Holden, particularly allowing for the amount of starts he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

One of the biggest differences between yesterday and the league was the huge work rate of Dublin. In the League, our backs had time to play decent ball into the forwards. Yesterday, they were being closed down quickly and ended up lumping high ball a lot of the time. That was the first time that the newcomers on the KK team played a match at championship pace and physicality. I would be hopeful that the likes of Morrissey, Leahy and Keoghan will learn for the experience and the game will stand to Aylward. If we don't improve our distribution into the forwards, we are going to struggle.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

The great Kilkenny team of a few years ago, the great Manchester United of Champions League vintage versus Bayern Munich, Liverpool of the eighties all had a common trait. Even after playing badly, they would grind out a result, often in injury time. That “never say die” trait is what made them considered great by many. The questions were asked of Kilkenny yesterday. When the final whistle blew in Parnell Park, Kilkenny had more scores than the opposition, capped by an injury time goal. The question was answered. Now I’m now for one minute suggesting yesterday makes this Kilkenny team great. I like everyone else including the players, know that about half the starting team performed below capabilities. Kilkenny were very nervous of this game and rightly so. But yesterday might be worth keeping in mind when history is reviewed. Tbiggertycome who is a well-informed knowledgeable poster said before the match there was a strong possibility that Liam would be coming down John Street in August. “I disagree”. These days we go straight to Nowlan Park!

The extremes on the forum are great for a laugh. What poster a few weeks back said Liam Blanchfield was the worst player ever to wear the black and amber? Was it the same one that said he doesn’t like the “tough stuff”? Looking forward to their comments on yesterday. Good news for Liam, is the “extremists” have gone back to Joey (one of the best players in the league) Holden.

Then the poster who said only yesterday, this team will win nothing. Eh what about the National League? Are we not in bonus territory with a developing team?

For the lads who have based “we haven’t a hope against Galway” on yesterday. We conceded 3-16 against a Dublin team who genuinely gave their best performance in a number of years. Galway conceded 2-15 against Offaly, not a huge difference, both away from home. We scored 25 times, Galway scored 23 times. Are people basing the assertion on the fact that they believe Offaly are a far superior team to Dublin and Galway’s performance deserved a much larger accolade?

The Minor was a super skilful game yesterday. Both teams had players who caught fantastic balls, made great blocks and hooks and took brilliant scores. It shows our development squad system has been functioning well over the past few years despite the knockers. The move to under-17 has made minor an extension of the development squads in reality. Anyone who witnessed the game yesterday will see the level players need to get to so young to be able to compete at inter county. There were a lot of 16 years olds playing yesterday. Amazing stuff. These are children even though some looked like men, especially the Dublin Full forward and centre back. A lot retired players never reached that level of skill. Phenomenal.

It was a super weekend for Kilkenny GAA. The footballers winning 6-17 to 1-4 (28 point win) in the British Junior Championship has probably gone unnoticed by many. Not bad for a county that only plays lip service to football. It took extra time for Leitrim to beat “foreign” opposition. I believe DJ Careys football development squad beat Waterford in two games recently and witnesses said the performances were incredible to watch. The Senior Camogie team blew Wexford away in the Leinster semi-final as well.

Finally, fair play to Tommy Walsh (for the second time in a week) who, as was pointed out last week, said that the club should remain on the agenda while the inter-county is going on (Later in the week) said on some radio programme on Friday night that “if Dublin got a good start, it would go to the wire!” That’s what you call an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

I am guessing the keyboard warriors describing Joey Holden as "awful " , "the least skilful hurler" and "the worst to play championship hurling for Kilkenny in years " will be surprised to hear that he is one of three Kilkenny players named on the GAA. ie hurling team of the week along with James Maher and Colin Fennelly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

I am guessing the keyboard warriors describing Joey Holden as "awful " , "the least skilful hurler" and "the worst to play championship hurling for Kilkenny in years " will be surprised to hear that he is one of three Kilkenny players named on the GAA. ie hurling team of the week along with James Maher and Colin Fennelly!

Now, to be fair, that is very surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

Hilarious...the selectors must be some of the clueless gimps around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

Formosa wrote: »
    Hilarious...the selectors must be some of the clueless gimps around here.
    Babyjesus14 had him on team of the week after the 2016 All Ireland too but was voted down by his fellow selectors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    The great Kilkenny team of a few years ago, the great Manchester United of Champions League vintage versus Bayern Munich, Liverpool of the eighties all had a common trait. Even after playing badly, they would grind out a result, often in injury time. That “never say die” trait is what made them considered great by many.  The questions were asked of Kilkenny yesterday. When the final whistle blew in Parnell Park, Kilkenny had more scores than the opposition, capped by an injury time goal. The question was answered. Now I’m now for one minute suggesting yesterday makes this Kilkenny team great. I like everyone else including the players, know that about half the starting team performed below capabilities. Kilkenny were very nervous of this game and rightly so. But yesterday might be worth keeping in mind when history is reviewed. Tbiggertycome who is a well-informed knowledgeable poster said before the match there was a strong possibility that Liam would be coming down John Street in August. “I disagree”. These days we go straight to Nowlan Park!

The extremes on the forum are great for a laugh. What poster a few weeks back said Liam Blanchfield was the worst player ever to wear the black and amber? Was it the same one that said he doesn’t like the “tough stuff”?  Looking forward to their comments on yesterday. Good news for Liam, is the “extremists” have gone back to Joey (one of the best players in the league) Holden.

Then the poster who said only yesterday, this team will win nothing. Eh what about the National League? Are we not in bonus territory with a developing team?

For the lads who have based “we haven’t a hope against Galway” on yesterday. We conceded 3-16 against a Dublin team who genuinely gave their best performance in a number of years. Galway conceded 2-15 against Offaly, not a huge difference, both away from home. We scored 25 times, Galway scored 23 times.  Are people basing the assertion on the fact that they believe Offaly are a far superior team to Dublin and Galway’s performance deserved a much larger accolade?

The Minor was a super skilful game yesterday. Both teams had players who caught fantastic balls, made great blocks and hooks and took brilliant scores. It shows our development squad system has been functioning well over the past few years despite the knockers. The move to under-17 has made minor an extension of the development squads in reality. Anyone who witnessed the game yesterday will see the level players need to get to so young to be able to compete at inter county. There were a lot of 16 years olds playing yesterday. Amazing stuff. These are children even though some looked like men, especially the Dublin Full forward and centre back. A lot retired players never reached that level of skill. Phenomenal.

It was a super weekend for Kilkenny GAA. The footballers winning 6-17 to 1-4 (28 point win) in the British Junior Championship has probably gone unnoticed by many.  Not bad for a county that only plays lip service to football. It took extra time for Leitrim to beat “foreign” opposition. I believe DJ Careys football development squad beat Waterford in two games recently and witnesses said the performances were incredible to watch. The Senior Camogie team blew Wexford away in the Leinster semi-final as well.

Finally, fair play to Tommy Walsh (for the second time in a week) who, as was pointed out last week, said that the club should remain on the agenda while the inter-county is going on (Later in the week) said on some radio programme on Friday night that “if Dublin got a good start, it would go to the wire!” That’s what you call an expert.
    Summary: " I'm a county cheerleader who won't hear any criticism"

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Brian017 wrote: »
    FT KK 3-23 Dub 4-12. Kilkenny did well to respond to Dublin's 2nd and 4th goals, getting their own within a minute each time. Didn't allow them to gain any momentum from them
    Though scoreline in minor game flattered Kilkenny alot as Dublin really caused them alot of problems and created numerous goal chances. Kilkenny had some very skillfil forwards who showed some very nice touches. Brennan got some lovely scores while Morrissey in particular in first half caused problems. O'Leary and Murphy inside looked very dangerous.
    The KK team were far physically inferior to the Dublin team who much bigger so dominated in the air alot. Thought Young at full back for KK looks good prospect but at times was taking far too much out of the ball and going on needless solo's etc. Dublin ran straight through middle of our defence far too often for comfort but KK hopefully will improve as each game progresses
    Interestingly it double All Ireland Minor and U21 winner with Kilkenny David Prendergast (Clara) who is working as Strength and Conditioning coach with Dublin minors. Given his obvious knowledge and knowing what it takes to reach that inter county level......it should be very interesting to see how that side of things pan out for him if he sticks at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Rochelle wrote: »
    Summary: " I'm a county cheerleader who won't hear any criticism"

Great insight....
    but not in the slightest bit correct....... :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Rochelle wrote: »
    Babyjesus14 had him on team of the week after the 2016 All Ireland too but was voted down by his fellow selectors.

Just to clear up one point for people who clearly have a problem reading, i didn't pick the GAA.IE team of the week i just reported the fact that Joey Holden was selected on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Parnell park is 141 x 82 and Croke Park and Nowlan Park are both 145 x 88, where you got the notion that Parnell Park could be 24ft narrower is mind boggling, a pitch 64ft wide would be absolutely tiny. The pitch in Parnell looks smaller as a result of the proximity of the crowd to the field, similar to Cusack Park in Ennis.

Its hardly a accurate barometer now to be fair, and I always get the feeling they deliberately add a few controversial selections to these simply to generate debate - for example, now I didnt see the Kerry v Laois game but if the Kerry keeper was better than Eoin Murphy I would be absolutely astounded, only one Dublin defender also seems harsh.

Holden not as bad as some of the hyperbole in the earlier posts but he was hardly team of hte week material, Paul Murphy really showed himself and Deegan up when he came on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

danganabu wrote: »
    Parnell park is 141 x 82 and Croke Park and Nowlan Park are both 145 x 88, where you got the notion that Parnell Park could be 24ft narrower is mind boggling, a pitch 64ft wide would be absolutely tiny. The pitch in Parnell looks smaller as a result of the proximity of the crowd to the field, similar to Cusack Park in Ennis.

Those pitch dimensions are in metres. 6 metres is just under 20 feet and 4 metres works out at approximately 12 feet.

The myth of Parnell.

Reason we do better there is that place is mostly full for hurling whereas might as well be playing in the Gobi desert as warm up for football. Hurlers get huge lift from crowd that is only 4/5 feet away from them! If Gilroy and Cunningham ever did one thing right, it was taking us away from being bottom of the bill to the footballers.

Those pitch dimensions are in metres. 6 metres is just under 20 feet and 4 metres works out at approximately 12 feet.

My bad! But as stated earlier the difference is not as extreme as it looks on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

My bad! But as stated earlier the difference is not as extreme as it looks on tv.

You’ll always get that.

It was the same a few years back after KK were due to play a game in Tullamore, pundits said KK’s backs would be suited to the tight pitch.....which is 2 metres wider than Croke Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Parnell plays tighter than its actual dimensions due to the surrounding wall. If you're in the backs and delivering a ball up the field the wall will make you play it 5 yards further infield. So while in actuality its not narrow it plays like it is for visiting teams. With familiarity players adjust and can play the ball wider.

• Advertisement

Its hardly a accurate barometer now to be fair, and I always get the feeling they deliberately add a few controversial selections to these simply to generate debate - for example, now I didnt see the Kerry v Laois game but if the Kerry keeper was better than Eoin Murphy I would be absolutely astounded, only one Dublin defender also seems harsh.

Holden not as bad as some of the hyperbole in the earlier posts but he was hardly team of hte week material, Paul Murphy really showed himself and Deegan up when he came on.

Personally don't agree with the selection myself but I take issue with people hiding behind the anonymity of a discussion forum describing an experienced inter county hurler with two All-Ireland senior medals, a former All Star and All Ireland winning captain being "awful " and "worst "!

Personally don't agree with the selection myself but I take issue with people hiding behind the anonymity of a discussion forum describing an experienced inter county hurler with two All-Ireland senior medals, a former All Star and All Ireland winning captain being "awful " and "worst "!

Fully agree

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HoHohurlin

Fully agree

Joeys confidence was shot after the first ball he fumbled from ryans first mi**** free, he was no where near as bad as some of you are saying, A wins a win and it's good to have 2 points on the board,move on to offaly next week and the challenge they will bring not quite as physical as Dublin but have a bit more cutting edge up front. Also Parnell park is a tight field and it 100% had an effect on how the game played out

Legally he is in titled to tackle.

Legally he is in titled to tackle.

Are you suggesting that morally he isnt? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HoHohurlin

Would be harsh to give rushe any sort of card as deegans head was much lower then usual but surely could have been interpreted as dangerous play?

HoHohurlin wrote: »
    Would be harsh to give rushe any sort of card as deegans head was much lower then usual but surely could have been interpreted as dangerous play?

It was his elbow he got him with not his shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

blackcard wrote: »
    One of the biggest differences between yesterday and the league was the huge work rate of Dublin. In the League, our backs had time to play decent ball into the forwards. Yesterday, they were being closed down quickly and ended up lumping high ball a lot of the time. That was the first time that the newcomers on the KK team played a match at championship pace and physicality. I would be hopeful that the likes of Morrissey, Leahy and Keoghan will learn for the experience and the game will stand to Aylward. If we don't improve our distribution into the forwards, we are going to struggle.

A lot of the shots that I saw into the forwards was just poor and there was little pressure on the shooter. I can understand if lads are hanging off men and the clearance is just that, a clearance, not a pass into the forwards. Granted, Dublin did work hard but some of our lads did great work to win a ball, then they let themselves down with a poor strike into the forwards. Cillian did it a few times in the second half.

Dublin did work hard but some of our lads did great work to win a ball, then they let themselves down with a poor strike into the forwards. Cillian did it a few times in the second half.

Isn't that the point? Dublin saw what you boys did to Tipp in league final where they cleaned out their forwards. Kilkenny if they have a tactic, and BC would probably swear blind they don't!, is backs dominating possession and having that crucial few seconds to pick someone out. Dublin denied that yesterday, Fair enough, it wasn't Tommy and JJ and Jackie. Our deficit is not having enough scoring forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Nah there was a rake of times yesterday where defenders had loads of time, looked up and still pucked it straight to a spare Dublin defender which we weren't doing in the latter parts of the league. Hopefully it's just the Parnell Park factor

Don't get me wrong, most of the time was due to Dublin pressure but it's the times where there was no pressure that was frustrating.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement