Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭droppingball

Bad news if true, the panel is getting stretched to say the least, any word on joyce?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Haven't heard anything about Lennon or Joyce but was talking to one of the management during the week and he said both Fennellys and Fogarty would have started if we were playing a Championship match last weekend. He also gave the impression that the beating might be the best thing for a few of the lads on the panel as they were beginning to think they just had to turn up! That is me reading between the lines so take that with a healthy pinch of salt. I also heard that Kilkenny hadn't prepared in the usual way before the game. I know it sounds a bit nuts but I'm nearly wondering did they send them out undercooked to let them see how good/bad they really are unless their completely focused. It's just me creating my own conspiracy theory here. It's counter to everything we know about Cody but it could just be how it went down but probably not. Either way the management team member I met gave the impression that a good few of them had a huge job to do to keep there place and for some I suspect he mean't keeping their place on the panel. I would not be surprised if a 2-3 lads or more were cut in the next few weeks. They have the next 3 weeks together then 2 back with the clubs and then 3 more back with the county before the Leinster semi.

I heard from a different but very good source that the lads had strips tore off them for ages on Sunday night when they got back (as well you might expect). I wouldn't like to be going back into county training next week having been identified as being one of the lads not working hard enough.

Larkin is back from the family hols a few days ago so I would expect him to line out for the Village on Sunday.

Our bad injuries that we definitely know of are
    Paul Murphy- Shoulder AC joint- hopefully back for the championship
    James Maher- fractured kneecap- gone for the season
    Ger Aylward- cruciate- gone for the season
    Light injuries
    Michael Fennelly- hamstring- would expect to hurl for the club this weekend
    Colin Fennelly- hamstring- would expect to hurl for the club this weekend
    Jackie Tyrrell- hamstring- might hurl for the club this weekend didn't look to bad
    Robbie Lennon- hamstring- probably gone for another few weeks to a month as he keeps rushing back and doing it again
    Conor Fogarty- heavy bruising, shin- would expect to hurl for the club this weekend
    Richie Hogan- hamstring- I don't know if this is still at him but he's form has been well off what we expect from Richie at this time of the year i expect him to play for the club
    Kieran Joyce- unknown leg complaint- no idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Six St Kieran's Croke Cup winners named in Kilkenny team for Offaly minor clash
    http://the42.ie/2730823

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Fair play to Clare and Waterford for reinventing the game.

Did you read the article? Tongue firmly in cheek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Fair play to Clare and Waterford for reinventing the game.

Huh?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Six St Kieran's Croke Cup winners named in Kilkenny team for Offaly minor clash
    http://the42.ie/2730823

Is adrian mullen injured?

Speak Now wrote: »
    Did you read the article? Tongue firmly in cheek.

Yes,response was firmly tongue in cheek.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Wouldn't say there's much wrong with a forward line that scored 2-19 to be honest. Richie Hogan didn't get much rope, but John Power getting a lot of stick. Would not cast aside anyone who scored 1-1 in all ireland final. His brother had quiet games too at the same age. God knows Walter Walsh has had plenty of quiet games since the 2012 all ireland final.

As for lads being dropped off the panel, well the wing back was in there as a stop gap on account of injuries so he was thrown in to the deep end. Eoin Murphy was yer worst player, not a hope hell even be dropped from the starting team. Can't see any of that team that started being dropped from the panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Thank God the club hurling is back.

Hard to call things at this stage, plenty of clubs with players missing through injuries and being away etc....

I'd fancy Mullinavat to see off Danesfort in today's game.

Elsewhere I'd fancy The Bridge to beat the Village whose main men won't be fully match fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Anybody have any standouts from club matches over week-end?

Hopefully no more injuries picked up!!!

Went to the clara shamrocks game and Chris bolger scored 11 points with 6 of those from frees, was lively throughout. Decent game which clara deserved to win. All county players with exception of Michael Fennelly started and all came through without any injuries.

Was also at thomastown and dunamaggin match where jonjo farrell hurled very well for thomastown and seaghan o neill was main threat for dunamaggin, he was also very good on the frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭blackcard

Paul Murphy played for Danesfort who were well beaten by Mullinavat. Richie Hogan lined out in midfield, played okay, but not in the form he has been for the last two years. Kieran Joyce played well for the Rower. Eoin Larkin started for James Stephens and looked fit if a bit rusty. Jackie Tyrrell and Diarmuid Cody did not play nor did Robert Lennon

blackcard wrote: »

Paul Murphy played for Danesfort who were well beaten by Mullinavat. Richie Hogan lined out in midfield, played okay, but not in the form he has been for the last two years. Kieran Joyce played well for the Rower. Eoin Larkin started for James Stephens and looked fit if a bit rusty. Jackie Tyrrell and Diarmuid Cody did not play nor did Robert Lennon
    Add your reply here.

What's wrong with Diarmuid Cody?

• Advertisement

Went to the clara shamrocks game and Chris bolger scored 11 points with 6 of those from frees, was lively throughout. Decent game which clara deserved to win. All county players with exception of Michael Fennelly started and all came through without any injuries.

Was also at thomastown and dunamaggin match where jonjo farrell hurled very well for thomastown and seaghan o neill was main threat for dunamaggin, he was also very good on the frees.
    Add your reply here.

I thought Bilger did ok when introduced V Clare..well game was well over but he got 2pts and looked more threatening in 10mins than others did in 60mins

How did Colin Fennelly play?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Add your reply here.

I thought Bilger did ok when introduced V Clare..well game was well over but he got 2pts and looked more threatening in 10mins than others did in 60mins

kevin kelly standout player st patricks v conahy 11pts and was involved in most of the scoring plays

Good start for the minors on Saturday in their quarter-final... Kilkenny 3-25 Offaly 1-13.

The other quarter-final result was:
    Wexford 0-21, Dublin 1-14 (after extra time)

Second round results:
    Laois 3-20, Carlow 0-9
    Westmeath 1-17, Meath 0-15.

So Kilkenny and Wexford have progressed to the semi-finals.

But there will be another two quarter-final ties played next weekend:
    Offaly v Westmeath
    Laois v Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Got to a couple of matches. Mullinavat a good bit better than danesfort. Richie hogan subdued but still danesforts best player. Paul Murphy was clearly not right, kept pulling on the ball with 1 hand. Did give and take a few tough shoulders though! Mick malone's touch was slightly off but he was still a handfull. Willie dywer very good.

Shocks sluggish against lisdowney who fought harder and won nearly all breaking ball. John Power wasn't great. Rice was ok in spells. Looks to be getting back to full fitness but definitely seems to have lost a yard of pace. Lisdowney won by 7? In the end. The hickeys and phelans were all good.
    A shocks player got married the weekend so that may have contributed but they are a club on the slide either way.

Thomastown also outfought dunna to win by a goal which was scored in 1st half by John Joe who played very well. Hard to pick too many standouts from dunnamaggin bar seaghan o Neill who was good. N hickey lucky not to be sent off. 2 donnellys in the forwards excellent for ttown.

Was talking to an under 21 player over the weekend. 3 players kicked off the panel for drinking. 3 serious players as well. Not sure if I should name them on this though. As far as I know all players played well for clubs the weekend also

• Advertisement

Better not mention any names, just in case.

Does that mean they are gone for the season you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭PáircLife

Better not mention any names, just in case.

Does that mean they are gone for the season you think?

No, they were dropped for a few weeks but 2 out of the 3 of them are back in training at the moment, seems it was just a harmless warning for them.

3 big players, would have expected all 3 to be near starting 15.

1 was even training with the seniors and has lost his chance with them - (for now anyway)!

Ya it will probably serve as a warning for the rest of the panel now anyway.

Yeah, it'll keep them grounded alright.....hopefully.

Add your reply here.

Colin Fennelly hurled reasonably well without doing much damage but he was moving at full tilt and was full of running. He started midfield with Henry and this is probably the reason he wasn't working the scoreboard but near the end of the game he went full forward when Shamrocks needed a goal but didn't receive much ball.

Chris Bolger received lovely low cross field ball which allowed him to do damage but he showed he can pick off a score and kept going even with one or two near misses. He was on to any breaking ball like lightening as well which is want you want from a poaching corner forward. Wasn't sure if he was up to the standard but after last week and Sundays game he is definitely worth a look, hopefully he can drive on a prove himself worthy of a starting place for Kilkenny.

Just on the Dunamaggin match Noel Hickey broke two hurls off Jonjo either side of Jonjos goal, one was an awful stroke and should have been sent off for it.

Good start for the minors on Saturday in their quarter-final... Kilkenny 3-25 Offaly 1-13.

The other quarter-final result was:
    Wexford 0-21, Dublin 1-14 (after extra time)

Second round results:
    Laois 3-20, Carlow 0-9
    Westmeath 1-17, Meath 0-15.

So Kilkenny and Wexford have progressed to the semi-finals.

But there will be another two quarter-final ties played next weekend:
    Offaly v Westmeath
    Laois v Dublin

I presume kk will be playing the winner of Laois v Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

The village if you ask me were very lucky to come away with a draw yesterday. After a blistering start and hurling well the first 20mins they seem to fall apart altogther as Bridge rallied back. The village 2nd and 3rd goal came from poor defending from bridge. Personally I thought the village full back line was very poor and struggled big time with the direct running of the brigde and kevin blanchfield was unlucky a couple times when running straight through the centre from deep to not finish up with a goal or two. The bridge missed a glorious goal chance with 2 mins to go that would have put them infront when Hugh O neill was through on goal and instead of given a simple pass to Kevin Blanchfield who was on his own six yards out but instead o'neill struck a shot that was a comfortable save for the goalie. The last free awarded to allow nicky cleere to level the game was probably harsh and certainly the village crew werent happy and after full time some of their players and management team let the referee know of there discontent. larkin looked fit but def still rusty while David Hennessy and Ray coady hurled well for village. Kevin Blanch and Brian Lannon showed up best for Bridge while Liam blanch was fairly quiet by his standards.The Bridge deserved a draw and over the full 60mins they were the better team and showed more potential while village will need all their county lads and Luke Scanlon back if any real serious ambitions to win anything this year

Stayed for second game but left at half time as it was really poor game and johnstown were desperate. Mick grace looked sharp from the bits I seen while Kieran Joyce seemed to be moving freely after Injury scare.

Dunna V Thomastown was decent battle and Ttown were deserved winners. John Joe hurled well and while John Donnelly was very good and his ball winning for a young lad at this level was top drawer. Thomastown are a very young team with a nice balanced look about them while Dunna need to find a proven goal scorer if want to be there at the business end of the season but I cant see that happening. Noel Hickey was lucky alright to finish the game as he had two wild pulls and broke timber both times!

blackcard wrote: »
    I presume kk will be playing the winner of Laois v Dublin?

I'm not entirely sure. You would assume so.

Although back in '14, Dublin beat Wexford in one of the early rounds of Leinster, and they met again in the Leinster semi-final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭randd1

Was talking to an under 21 player over the weekend. 3 players kicked off the panel for drinking. 3 serious players as well. Not sure if I should name them on this though. As far as I know all players played well for clubs the weekend also

Unless it was a couple of days before a match, they got so drunk it took them a week to recover and it affected their training or this was a regular thing, then throwing lads off a panel for a few drinks is a bit much on my view, and will do nothing good for the panel.

I can understand it on the above scenarios, but if it was a one off then I would ask questions as to what we're doing to encourage lads to commit to the panel if it means they have no life.

One of the great things about Kilkenny has been our belief and trust in the players we have and treating them like men, and in return you got men. I'd hate to see us go down te route of treating players like kids to be scolded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

randd1 wrote: »
    Unless it was a couple of days before a match, they got so drunk it took them a week to recover and it affected their training or this was a regular thing, then throwing lads off a panel for a few drinks is a bit much on my view, and will do nothing good for the panel.

I can understand it on the above scenarios, but if it was a one off then I would ask questions as to what we're doing to encourage lads to commit to the panel if it means they have no life.

One of the great things about Kilkenny has been our belief and trust in the players we have and treating them like men, and in return you got men. I'd hate to see us go down te route of treating players like kids to be scolded.

To quote Brian Cody: "You say to me that there is more to life than hurling, Well if you want to carry on like a fella who is not an intercounty hurler well then there will be more to life than hurling. Lots more. But there won't be hurling. That's the reality of it."

We might think it's harsh, but the fact is there's plenty of lads willing to make the sacrifice he feels is necessary. If I was on one of those panels and making those sacrifices, I'd regard it as a matter of respect for your teammates, and would expect my teammates to make the same sacrifices as me. If they weren't, and they stayed on the panel, I'd be wondering why I'm making those sacrifices at all.

I know nothing about the specific case, but if they're told not to drink and then they drink, it would make a balls of the whole set up if they weren't kicked off the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Kicked off the u21 panel, or the Senior panel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Kicked off the u21 panel, or the Senior panel?

u21, although one of them was also removed from the seniors, according to the poster above. I'm not talking so much about Cody specifically, as the culture he's cultivated in the county set up at all levels.

randd1 wrote:

As far as I know they were specifically told no drinking that weekend so it was a stupid decision if so. They went to a quieter pub in town so as not to be seen.

randd1 wrote:

As far as I know they were specifically told no drinking that weekend so it was a stupid decision if so. They went to a quieter pub in town so as not to be seen.

Bit strange going to a pub. Always a very good chance that they'd be spotted. Esp. with social media the way it is.

Re: Realt Dearg Sec's comment about Brian Cody. He's created the legacy now - up to the players to prove themselves. The thing is recently that Cody will still you a go at 26 or 29 whereas other countys think you are well past it at that stage. There's never too many 'young' lads on the senior panel regardless.

When you think the Cha and JJ were the only 2 promoted (i think..anybody help me????) from minors, that's tells the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

When you think the Cha and JJ were the only 2 promoted (i think..anybody help me????) from minors, that's tells the story.

Tommy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Channelling my inner Mark Lawrenson, the only issue with three lads going on the piss is that the others weren't invited. It should be all out or non. Safety in numbers and that - cant drop the whole panel.
    Personally feel a lot is being asked of lads at minor and U21 regarding lifestyle. Seems the fun element has been taken out and replaced by a puritanical emphasis. Think it must be hard for lads to commit when their friends are off enjoying themselves. Look at Galvin last summer and Glynn this year.

citykat wrote: »
    Tommy?

You're right...Willie O Dwyer was brought in straight away also.

Tommy?
    Add your reply here.

Was Tommy?

Channelling my inner Mark Lawrenson, the only issue with three lads going on the piss is that the others weren't invited. It should be all out or non. Safety in numbers and that - cant drop the whole panel.
    Personally feel a lot is being asked of lads at minor and U21 regarding lifestyle. Seems the fun element has been taken out and replaced by a puritanical emphasis. Think it must be hard for lads to commit when their friends are off enjoying themselves. Look at Galvin last summer and Glynn this year.

I think this year you are starting to see a bit of a sea change in terms of lads committing to county teams. Probably moreso in football though.

Once it starts, a few more will go and so forth. Lads will start going to America etc. Others will think it's not worth the hassle training 4 or 5 nights a week when they are 21...and all of a sudden they are 30. Their mates have a good job andhave travelled extensively while having a decent social life.

I think county gaa is failing a lot of lads. As you say Citykat, the fun element has gone. 3 football lads in Derry have left their panel - going to America over summer and come back in time for club c'ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭PáircLife

Michael Rice dropped last night? Any truth to this do any of ye know? If so, maybe a few more got dropped with him?

P ircLife wrote: »
    Michael Rice dropped last night? Any truth to this do any of ye know? If so, maybe a few more got dropped with him?

Not sure. Never heard. I thought he'd be experienced around the panel and would be a good asset.

Obviously i haven't saw him play recently so i don't know how he's playing currently. I saw him warming up V Clare in Thurles and he looked ok.

Not sure. Never heard. I thought he'd be experienced around the panel and would be a good asset.

Obviously i haven't saw him play recently so i don't know how he's playing currently. I saw him warming up V Clare in Thurles and he looked ok.

I am afraid that Michael Rices best days are well behind him, he has been a great servant to the county but has been very unlucky with injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

It would be sad as Michael Rice is a really genuine guy and was a really good hurler.

Haven't heard of any other culling yet.

I was talking to Paul Murphy Saturday night and he said he came through the game ok, hurling wasn't great but he wasn't to sore when playing but when i was talking to him a few hours later it was a bit stiff and sore he was hoping to get back training with the lads this week. It would be a great to have him back for the Championship.

As far as I'm aware from knowing and talking to a good few of the seniors there is no drinks ban in their camp and hasn't been for many many years. Cody lets the training field and lads fitness weed out who's been drinking and who hasn't. If your not up to it you'll be dropped if you can go out drinking and preform there won't be any problem. If your dropped it's not because you drank but because you couldn't preform. I've often seen the lads out have a few pints here or there during the season but it's almost always a quite one or two and home. Occasionally after a match they might all go out together for a day of scoops after a League or Leinster final.

As far as the U21's go, I would assume there maybe a ban at certain times. If their going away training or have a tough week ahead the management may ask them to hold off. Personally i think a short ban can be a good thing, particularly when your dealing with younger lads. If they don't want to be there they can leave at any time and to be honest it's the last chance most will get to represent their county. If you look at 30 lad playing U21 in Kilkenny if 3-4 of those get to play for the seniors that's a high return. There will always be lads who want to go out more than they want to hurl and that's natural for some. If I was good enough to play U21 for Kilkenny I wouldn't have touched a drop until I was told i could or until the season was over but some lads want to have their cake and eat it. If your one of the 26-27 lads who will never play for Kilkenny again you can go out drinking as much as you like from 21 until the day you die I don't see the problem really. The few I can see the problem for is the 3-4 who make it to the Seniors and do well because their social life is very curtailed but again they choose to play at that level, lots of lads who aren't willing to commit drop out. I know at least 2 lads from my own club who could be great additions to the current Kilkenny set up both had trials, both did well but neither wanted to give the kind of commitment necessary to get to that level so now they hurl for the club and that suits them down to the ground. Those who make it especially in this day and age really are extraordinary strong willed individuals.

Rice and Brian Kennedy were dropped from the panel this week.I am a bit suprised about them cuts and i know Cody dosnt do sentiment but you would definitely prefer if a great servant like rice could leave on his own accord and wud have def thought his experience would have been surely worth it alone to have him around the squad. Kennedy has had his chances and has good wrists and stick work but seems his size just left him open to be exposed by the opposition

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Rice and Brian Kennedy were dropped from the panel this week.I am a bit suprised about them cuts and i know Cody dosnt do sentiment but you would definitely prefer if a great servant like rice could leave on his own accord and wud have def thought his experience would have been surely worth it alone to have him around the squad. Kennedy has had his chances and has good wrists and stick work but seems his size just left him open to be exposed by the opposition

Rice would find it very hard to get back to that level again.himself and kennedy didn't make the 24 last year for the all Ireland so I presume they had the league to prove themselves,I persume conor martin is also gone his no where near this level.id prefer to see liam blanchfield or john walsh given time to devolp

• Advertisement

We seem to be very tight on corner backs, anyone called in?

We seem to be very tight on corner backs, anyone called in?

Conor delaney was brought in for the clare match his not to bad,rob lennon will probaly be first defence sub

brookville wrote: »

Rice would find it very hard to get back to that level again.himself and kennedy didn't make the 24 last year for the all Ireland so I presume they had the league to prove themselves,I persume conor martin is also gone his no where near this level.id prefer to see liam blanchfield or john walsh given time to devolp
    Add your reply here.

I think we can all agree rice will never reach his previous heights but I still feel his presence in training and experience could be an asset in rallying the troops when needed and I would def say he still a better hurler some of the other people on squad.I was just suprised about Kennedy being dropped considering he came on for Jackie in league semi so thought he must be reasonably high in the pecking order but I know the squad was already depleted with injuries for that match.Conor Martin still on squad and look he still very young so hopefully he can develop into something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

Add your reply here.

I think we can all agree rice will never reach his previous heights but I still feel his presence in training and experience could be an asset in rallying the troops when needed and I would def say he still a better hurler some of the other people on squad.I was just suprised about Kennedy being dropped considering he came on for Jackie in league semi so thought he must be reasonably high in the pecking order but I know the squad was already depleted with injuries for that match.Conor Martin still on squad and look he still very young so hopefully he can develop into something
    I say the match last Saturday night had a lot to do with Brian kennedy getting the chop,

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

I say the match last Saturday night had a lot to do with Brian kennedy getting the chop,

Why is that?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement