Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

There was big difference between yesterday and the Tipp game. In second half in Nowlan your backs won 65/70% of possession in second half and had the time to use the ball. We are no world beaters but if you can restrict other teams where they are strongest it levels the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Isn't that the point? Dublin saw what you boys did to Tipp in league final where they cleaned out their forwards. Kilkenny if they have a tactic, and BC would probably swear blind they don't!, is backs dominating possession and having that crucial few seconds to pick someone out. Dublin denied that yesterday, Fair enough, it wasn't Tommy and JJ and Jackie. Our deficit is not having enough scoring forwards.

My point is that KK lads, under no pressure at times, played poor ball into the forwards. Examples of this are 1). hitting it directly to sweeper, instead of down the wings/corners and 2). high balls with snow on them into the forwards. Always going to be a backs' ball. Numerous examples of this during the game.

I was impressed with Dublin. Half back line dominated the skies while Keaney and Rush were physically strong. When Keaney went off, Dublin drifted.

One other point, the Dubs hit a couple of bad frees from very scorable positions. One in first half and one in the second half (iirc). Very poor at that level. Compare this to the accuracy of Murphy and T.J. - unreal accuracy at that level.

Nah there was a rake of times yesterday where defenders had loads of time, looked up and still pucked it straight to a spare Dublin defender which we weren't doing in the latter parts of the league. Hopefully it's just the Parnell Park factor

Don't get me wrong, most of the time was due to Dublin pressure but it's the times where there was no pressure that was frustrating.

My point exactly a chara!

There was big difference between yesterday and the Tipp game. In second half in Nowlan your backs won 65/70% of possession in second half and had the time to use the ball. We are no world beaters but if you can restrict other teams where they are strongest it levels the pitch.

Can you see Dublin playing to that level again in the next 3 matches?

Our expectations are modest. will most likely come down to beating Offaly. We live in hope my friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Dublin have a break for two weeks after next Sunday so no reason why they can't give it 100%. But it will be interesting to see if teams target particular matches. Do Offaly go all out against Kilkenny on Sunday or do they target their home match against Wexford? Or their match against Dublin the following week? If Kilkenny beat Offaly on Sunday, do they ease off against Galway? Will teams take off some of their star players if they are ahead or do they hammer a team to improve their goal difference?

Galway and Kilkenny won't be a dead rubber. Only Galway's second game and even assuming they will beat us in last game in series, can't see either seconding out the junior B's

Can't see any game being of no value. Either place in Leinster final or as 3rd place, or avoiding relegation will make every game a battle. Munster will also be all out war, although as Cody said, the bottom team will have comfort of a play off. Dublin or Offaly most like be fighting for survival. Which will make for some game in Parnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

James maher rolled his ankle yesterday and will be examined by doctors later.he along with donbelly carried their good league form but He'll probably be disappointed with 3rd goal that just trickled in by him.
    hogan tweaked his hamstring during the week probably unlikely to see him this weekend.Will he go back to fogarty,colin and murphy sunday.Itll be intresting to see what changes will be made will he go with morrissey again it was his first poor match.leahy and mossy have the potential it just didnt happen last weekend.
    Recovery now is vital for this hectic schedule we got the win yesterday we should be pleased we'll move onto offally now im sure the lads will be anxious to get going early sunday in front of their home crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Consistency has always been a problem for Dublin hurlers, except under Cunningham when you could set your watch to us being ****e every time :D

• Advertisement

I see the u21s were beaten by cork by 6 points,both teams were obviously weakened.any report who played well?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

U21 Hurling Challenge at Whitechurch GAA for their facilities opening ended Cork 3-23 Kilkenny 1-24
    Wasn't there an awful lot of empty seats in the stand at Parnell Park on Sunday. I presume these were for absent season ticket holders. The GAA might want to review that situation.

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    U21 Hurling Challenge at Whitechurch GAA for their facilities opening ended Cork 3-23 Kilkenny 1-24
    Wasn't there an awful lot of empty seats in the stand at Parnell Park on Sunday. I presume these were for absent season ticket holders. The GAA might want to review that situation.

Every part of ground was jammed other than some empty seats at either end of stand. Season tickets who were given first call over the rest of us, and weren't bothered turning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Every part of ground was jammed other than some empty seats at either end of stand. Season tickets who were given first call over the rest of us, and weren't bothered turning up.

Us season ticket holders were entitled to a seat last Sunday as part of the deal but a better system would have been if you still had to print off a ticket in advance say by the Friday and then they would've known how many were going to show up. Rather than just showing up with your season ticket and having it scanned.

That sounds too much like common sense!

If you have a county pass then you still need to get a ticket in advance. Same should apply to season tickets, especially given the big crowds that are turning up this year. Both Leinster games are sold out already for next weekend. From our vantage point on terrace you could see streams of people being turned away and 2/300 empty seats,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

That sounds too much like common sense!

If you have a county pass then you still need to get a ticket in advance. Same should apply to season tickets, especially given the big crowds that are turning up this year. Both Leinster games are sold out already for next weekend. From our vantage point on terrace you could see streams of people being turned away and 2/300 empty seats,

I would assume that's the online sales that are sold out, there is no way Kilkenny and Offaly is going to bring 24,000 to Nowlan park I would say closer to 7,000-10,000. They will probably realease more as the week goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

I would assume that's the online sales that are sold out, there is no way Kilkenny and Offaly is going to bring 24,000 to Nowlan park I would say closer to 7,000-10,000. They will probably realease more as the week goes on.

It will be very interesting to see how many will be in the Park on Sunday with both the Munster matches on telly at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HoHohurlin

It was his elbow he got him with not his shoulder.

Only seen the match properly last night, no foul in it,looked worse from where i was at the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

It will be very interesting to see how many will be in the Park on Sunday with both the Munster matches on telly at the same time!

Very good point
    If the kk was at 2 at least you could watch the second game

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Back to the Club and meaningful games for anyone interested. Below is Tbiggertycome’s definition posted last week.

“One last thing is a meaningful game is a game where there is something at stake that is valued. A player really values a Championship medal he kind of values a League medal but it helps him get his ultimate goal the championship medal. I don't know any player that values a Byrne or Aylward cup medal. I'm sure there are a few who have won them over the years that did but the vast majority don't. As a result the meaningful games in Kilkenny adult hurling are all Championship and league games. No one takes seriously the other games, be they challenge or other competitions.”

I won’t disagree with what is said and it’s probably correct in relation to a lot of players. That’s doesn’t mean I’ll fully agree with it either. Personally, every match from the training field to the challenge to league to the championship final is meaningful or else I wouldn’t bother with any of it, but I understand, that he’s describing “most players”, so my personal thoughts do not come into it, but I want to tease it out, without arguing.

The Kilkenny League Championship then has the only matches that fit the category of Meaningful. The format as it has been for a number of years (and we’ll only talk senior to keep it simple), guarantees a minimum of 7 and a maximum of 9 meaningful games per year for a club player, if you make the team. (Excluding replays). Virtually every game is important due to the advantages of league position. So how do you turn that in more meaningful matches? The options are; make the league section home and away or increase the number of teams. Both options reduces the importance of many league games as the English Premiership found out on the final day of the season and over the past few weeks in some cases. So what was meaningful may lose meaning. Those who talk about the games in Junior soccer. Most of those league games are not meaningful and there are lots of walk overs at the latter end of a season because of dead rubbers.
    Another option from a Kilkenny GAA point of view would be to put an extra effort into football. It would automatically double the potential of meaningful games. We know where a lot of Kilkenny people stand on this, club managements and administrators especially.

The point is that if the likes of the Byrne cup is not considered meaningful, it’s not easy to come up with alternatives. If we add teams to the senior, apart for the potential of not so meaningful games, we only have a finite number of teams/clubs, so we have to take teams from the Intermediate, which in turn will have to take from the junior. This is why I also posed the question, what do people feel is a reasonable number of meaningful matches? Is 7-9 enough? Is 14-18 enough if you include football? What do the players want in Kilkenny? I have asked a lot of players and all I hear is that they just want to Play Matches which contradicts tbiggertycome. However the footfall and effort from the players, supporters and management often proves tbiggertycome correct about Byrne Cup etc. Do they or don’t they just want to play matches? I’m pretty sure you panellist is more than happy to play any kind of a match. This is the quandary and this is just one grade, Senior.

I’m in the camp which says lets figure out what the real issue(s) is and what do the majority want before we go with anymore knee jerk reactions/”solutions”. I also believe no two counties will be the same. Personally, I agree too with tbiggertycome regarding players getting together and becoming an organised pressure group within their club (i.e. they couldn’t be bothered). So is it a case of accepting what you are given, don’t you just want to play matches anyway?? So play them.

As an aside, I do think the Byrne and Aylward Cups are a waste of time. There are better competitions that could be run. I have a couple of ideas. Maybe next time, I might throw them out and see what sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

The byrne and alyward cups are complete waste of time. There could be subs off a clubs second team playing some of the games. They serve a point I suppose in saving clubs organising challenges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

Watched the match back again, Dublins physicality and the tight pitch really made us go away from what we were doing in the league.

We worked the ball through the lines so well through the league, the worry for me is are we able to do it when other teams are at championship pace. I am hoping it was due to the tightness of parnell, it being the first championship match and they will grow in to it.

Also when we faced sweeper in the league a corner forward covered him but the three stayed inside on Sunday which was very strange to change it.

Padraig Walsh needs to try break ball to our spare man more instead of trying to catch everything especially when he is losing aerial battles.

We will need to be way better in the half forward line the next day, more competitive in the air and more physical on the breaks.

Thought Scanlon hurled well when he came on, covered loads of ground and got on ball, I think fennelly Walter and Scanlon should start this weekend in full forward line.

Walter is leading the line very well at full forward so we need to keep him involved in as much play as possible. His directness is hard to stop, rushe was direct but he was charging all day.

Interesting to see what changes will be made. I think we will see fogarty, murphy, fennelly, scanlon and blanchfield all start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Village87

Watched the match back again, Dublins physicality and the tight pitch really made us go away from what we were doing in the league.

We worked the ball through the lines so well through the league, the worry for me is are we able to do it when other teams are at championship pace. I am hoping it was due to the tightness of parnell, it being the first championship match and they will grow in to it.

Also when we faced sweeper in the league a corner forward covered him but the three stayed inside on Sunday which was very strange to change it.

Padraig Walsh needs to try break ball to our spare man more instead of trying to catch everything especially when he is losing aerial battles.

We will need to be way better in the half forward line the next day, more competitive in the air and more physical on the breaks.

Thought Scanlon hurled well when he came on, covered loads of ground and got on ball, I think fennelly Walter and Scanlon should start this weekend in full forward line.

Walter is leading the line very well at full forward so we need to keep him involved in as much play as possible. His directness is hard to stop, rushe was direct but he was charging all day.

Interesting to see what changes will be made. I think we will see fogarty, murphy, fennelly, scanlon and blanchfield all start.

Some excellent Points, especially about Padraig Walsh breaking the ball down for the extra man. He will have nightmares about Rushe.

The full back position is probably the hardest and becoming harder to find a number 3.Padraig is not a natural full back and what we'd do to have him at 5.
    I heard jj saying before in an interview that you have to learn when to go for a ball and when to just try break it for someone else because your the in the last line on the fb line.Hopefully padraig will learn from the tough days because its unlikely padraig will be moved from full back.

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Back to the Club and meaningful games for anyone interested. Below is Tbiggertycome’s definition posted last week.

“One last thing is a meaningful game is a game where there is something at stake that is valued. A player really values a Championship medal he kind of values a League medal but it helps him get his ultimate goal the championship medal. I don't know any player that values a Byrne or Aylward cup medal. I'm sure there are a few who have won them over the years that did but the vast majority don't. As a result the meaningful games in Kilkenny adult hurling are all Championship and league games. No one takes seriously the other games, be they challenge or other competitions.”

I won’t disagree with what is said and it’s probably correct in relation to a lot of players. That’s doesn’t mean I’ll fully agree with it either. Personally, every match from the training field to the challenge to league to the championship final is meaningful or else I wouldn’t bother with any of it, but I understand, that he’s describing “most players”, so my personal thoughts do not come into it, but I want to tease it out, without arguing.

The Kilkenny League Championship then has the only matches that fit the category of Meaningful. The format as it has been for a number of years (and we’ll only talk senior to keep it simple), guarantees a minimum of 7 and a maximum of 9 meaningful games per year for a club player, if you make the team. (Excluding replays). Virtually every game is important due to the advantages of league position. So how do you turn that in more meaningful matches? The options are; make the league section home and away or increase the number of teams. Both options reduces the importance of many league games as the English Premiership found out on the final day of the season and over the past few weeks in some cases. So what was meaningful may lose meaning. Those who talk about the games in Junior soccer. Most of those league games are not meaningful and there are lots of walk overs at the latter end of a season because of dead rubbers.
    Another option from a Kilkenny GAA point of view would be to put an extra effort into football. It would automatically double the potential of meaningful games. We know where a lot of Kilkenny people stand on this, club managements and administrators especially.

The point is that if the likes of the Byrne cup is not considered meaningful, it’s not easy to come up with alternatives. If we add teams to the senior, apart for the potential of not so meaningful games, we only have a finite number of teams/clubs, so we have to take teams from the Intermediate, which in turn will have to take from the junior. This is why I also posed the question, what do people feel is a reasonable number of meaningful matches? Is 7-9 enough? Is 14-18 enough if you include football? What do the players want in Kilkenny? I have asked a lot of players and all I hear is that they just want to Play Matches which contradicts tbiggertycome. However the footfall and effort from the players, supporters and management often proves tbiggertycome correct about Byrne Cup etc. Do they or don’t they just want to play matches? I’m pretty sure you panellist is more than happy to play any kind of a match. This is the quandary and this is just one grade, Senior.

I’m in the camp which says lets figure out what the real issue(s) is and what do the majority want before we go with anymore knee jerk reactions/”solutions”. I also believe no two counties will be the same. Personally, I agree too with tbiggertycome regarding players getting together and becoming an organised pressure group within their club (i.e. they couldn’t be bothered). So is it a case of accepting what you are given, don’t you just want to play matches anyway?? So play them.

As an aside, I do think the Byrne and Aylward Cups are a waste of time. There are better competitions that could be run. I have a couple of ideas. Maybe next time, I might throw them out and see what sticks.

Good point about the football, club football in May & June would help keep players fresh and not try flog them with hurling.

Kilkenny footballers were out last week, and also this week against Scotland so fixtures might be congested is the only thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I have to say , imo , Walter Walsh is playing really well so far this year.
    I know he has been really hit and miss in previous seasons , but this year in the League, and against Dublin , he has been really good.
    His physique and his strength make him hard to stop once he gets the ball in hand and powers on. Its a great sight to see him jumping, grabbing the sliotar out of the sky, turning and running towards goal.
    I hope he kicks on and keeps it up, as he is an important player this year.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

greenspurs wrote: »
    I know he has been really hit and miss in previous seasons , but this year in the League, and against Dublin , he has been really good.
    His physique and his strength make him hard to stop once he gets the ball in hand and powers on. Its a great sight to see him jumping, grabbing the sliotar out of the sky, turning and running towards goal.

Absolutely agree, he has definitely steped up to the mark and I think he is relishing being one of the 'senior' figures. Teams are going to target TJ and this will allow Walsh a bit more freedom as well.

Eoin Murphy, TJ Reid & Wally Walsh are irreplaceable at present

Whats our thoughts this weekend?its going to be a tough match again but we should be winning this at home.Another win could see us reach a quater final.
    It'll be intresting to see what changes are made id like to give the lads that were called ashore early given another go.Id like to see leahy,morrissey and mossy start they've being a breath of fresh air but i feel we might need fogarty,colin and murphy for their strenght and no how.
    Hopefully hogan can make the bench cause the last 2 matches will probably decide who reaches the leinster final and you cant beat game time.Last weekend will have brought on murphy and colin a ton.Scanlon has also impressed granted his still very light but his direct and is improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

brookville wrote: »
    Whats our thoughts this weekend?its going to be a tough match again but we should be winning this at home.Another win could see us reach a quater final.
    It'll be intresting to see what changes are made id like to give the lads that were called ashore early given another go.Id like to see leahy,morrissey and mossy start they've being a breath of fresh air but i feel we might need fogarty,colin and murphy for their strenght and no how.
    Hopefully hogan can make the bench cause the last 2 matches will probably decide who reaches the leinster final and you cant beat game time.Last weekend will have brought on murphy and colin a ton.Scanlon has also impressed granted his still very light but his direct and is improving.

A good performance (obviously) with us scoring a few goals and not conceding any. It would be great if the lads who got taken off the last day get some game time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Time for a reality check. Joey while a very good player who does much right is infuriating at times dawdling and dithering or dropping the ball trying to solo past opponents when he has plenty of time to get rid of it. He will then do something bordering on brilliant aka the interception last Sunday that prevented a certain goal. The fact is his style of hurling and his attributes are not those one seeks from a cornerback. Padraigh Walsh is no full back and never will be. He is no JJ Delaney and that is no insult as JJ was  a unique talent. He is however very much missed from the halfback line. Walsh should be switched with Conor Delaney who is a very good tight hurler. Both Colin Fennelly and Paul Murphy have to make the team. James Maher is our anchor midfielder at present He works harder, covers more ground, is available for more passes and fights his own ball better than Leahy or Fogarty. Luke Scanlan whenever he comes on always contributes and it was his ball winning and pass that led to Blanchfields goal the last day.Ger Alyward has done nothing in his past few games to warrant retention. Murphy Fennelly and Scanlan should be brought in with Fennelly going to midfield with Maher. John Donnelly fights hard and center forward is his ideal position. He has height pace and gets stuck in which would leave Reid at wing forward being able to roam and turn up where ever he thinks most damage can be done. Leahy would get the other wing forward purely on reputation but if he does not produce the goods in the first 20 minutes I would have him off .
    Murphy
    Murphy Delaney Deegan
    Walsh Buckley Holden
    Fennelly Maher
    Reid Donnelly Leahy
    Scanlan Walsh Blanchfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Yes, as I said before here, Walter and Liam showed what should be done last Sunday. Walter was breaking tackles all day and basically he kept Kilkenny in the game. Liam needs to be nearer goal to get that run of his. He got the break at the right time and was already gone past his man when he got the pass - a Dublin player tried to trip him just outside the square, but he kept going and there was no way he was going to allow himself not to score. That is what Kilkenny had been missing up to then - big guys to take on their man and break the tackle.

You could see with Dublin using Rushe and Keaney to do the same, although in Rushe's case he was barging and swinging his hurl dangerously. They were not worried about the steps they took, as do other teams - they leave the ref to deal with that and hope he is soft on them.

Saying all that, Dublin played some brilliant hurling and were well primed to take Kilkenny's scalp.

I'm sure Kilkenny did not take them for granted though, but got caught for the three goals which were basically caused by slack marking, and a bit of barging on Rushe's part.

Paul Murphy and Colin Fennelly were outstanding when they came on and steadied Kilkenny, which enabled them to dominate the last ten minutes of the game as Dublin appeared to tire and their intensity dropped a notch or two. Kilkenny had good subs to come on and with Keaney gone, Dublin's subs bench was not as strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Kil. v Off. E Murphy J Holden P Walsh P Deegan C Delaney C Buckley P Murphy C Fogarty J Maher M Keoghan TJ Reid R Leahy J Donnelly W Walsh L Scanlon Subs D Brennan C O Shea C Browne R Lennon J Cleere L Ryan P Lyng L Blanchfield G Aylward B Sheehan C Fennelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Morrissey injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Harsh on fennelly!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kkman00

oconnol1 wrote: »
    Kil. v Off. E Murphy J Holden P Walsh P Deegan C Delaney C Buckley P Murphy C Fogarty J Maher M Keoghan TJ Reid R Leahy J Donnelly W Walsh L Scanlon Subs D Brennan C O Shea C Browne R Lennon J Cleere L Ryan P Lyng L Blanchfield G Aylward B Sheehan C Fennelly.

Anyone know if Enda morrissey is injured considering he's not even on bench?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Write up on the 1968 league final...interesting stuff, had heard a bit about this but didn't know about all the fallout afterwards...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/kilkenny-v-tipperary-1968-the-only-day-in-my-career-i-felt-a-bit-afraid-on-the-field-469526.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

minty81 wrote: »
    Morrissey injured?
    Must be, gone off bench so presumably he picked up a knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Morrissey injured?

He's sick so that's why he's dropped from the 26

Morrissey injured?

He's sick so that's why he's dropped from the 26
    Any update how kevin kelly is recovering when is he due back?hopefully richie will be on the panel next week but no ganetime under his belt so far which is dissapointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Can anyone explain why John Walsh was dropped from the squad earlier this year? Corner forward has been an area which has been a major weakness and probably explains our troubles with scoring goals. To me he looks the most natural in the position in the county and its a shame not to see him involved.

Not one corner forward tried during the entirety of the league showed anything to suggest they are going to solve this. I include Sheehan, Aylward, Scanlon and Martin in this.

Better players down through the years were also ruthlessly canned after one average display (Joe Brennan, John Mulhall as two examples) - the same rule it appears does not apply to other players like Joey Holden who despite another inept display against Dublin keeps his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

Kevin Kelly is back running , highly unlikely to see any game time in the round robin series , he should be ready for a Leinster final if we get there ,

Surprised to see Fennelly and Blanchfield on the bench with John Donnelly in the corner. Over all this selection does not inspire much confidence with no attempt at all to rectify what was an awful full back line performance against Dublin. Neither Holden Walsh or Deegan can honestly be happy with the way they played last day.  I hope they more than justify the confidence shown in them. At present and with the way they are playing our  full back line will suffer grievously at the hands of a Galway or fully fit Tipperary full forward line down the road.

Surprised to see Fennelly and Blanchfield on the bench with John Donnelly in the corner. Over all this selection does not inspire much confidence with no attempt at all to rectify what was an awful full back line performance against Dublin. Neither Holden Walsh or Deegan can honestly be happy with the way they played last day.  I hope they more than justify the confidence shown in them. At present and with the way they are playing our  full back line will suffer grievously at the hands of a Galway or fully fit Tipperary full forward line down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Kkman00

Good win for the minors today but the pulling and dragging off the ball on ciarain brennan was disgraceful no doubt that came from Wexford management which is ridiculous at minor level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Mankbag

So what full-back line would you have picked? Honest question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Comerman

Kkman00 wrote: »
    Good win for the minors today but the pulling and dragging off the ball on ciarain brennan was disgraceful no doubt that came from Wexford management which is ridiculous at minor level
    It's a poor sign that minor hurlers in Wexford are being encouraged to act like that, the guy on Brennan
    Was striking him on the helmet before every puckout. The full back was the same and the half back got a yellow for his off the ball antics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Comerman wrote: »
    It's a poor sign that minor hurlers in Wexford are being encouraged to act like that, the guy on Brennan
    Was striking him on the helmet before every puckout. The full back was the same and the half back got a yellow for his off the ball antics

Definitely seemed to be a tactic for Wexford. Linesmen and umpires should be bringing that to the attention of the referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

blackcard wrote: »
    Definitely seemed to be a tactic for Wexford. Linesmen and umpires should be bringing that to the attention of the referee.

Wexford had a strong wind in the first half, decided to play with a sweeper and manhandled and gave the Kilkenny forwards plenty of it for 20 mins. The KK players got on with it and from 0-9 to 0-6 down after 20 mins, outscored their opponents 3-15 to 1-3 for the last 40 mins. A sweeper at U17.... Crazy, so much for development

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

adrian522 wrote: »
    Write up on the 1968 league final...interesting stuff, had heard a bit about this but didn't know about all the fallout afterwards...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/kilkenny-v-tipperary-1968-the-only-day-in-my-career-i-felt-a-bit-afraid-on-the-field-469526.html

Was at the 65-66 home final

Kilkenny
    0-9 - 0-7
    Tipperary

Kilkenny's defeat of Tipperary in the league decider is their first defeat of Tipperary in a national final since the 1922 All-Ireland final.

That, I think, was the game that finally broke Tipps dominance. Just check out results from then until today;

KK 15 National Leagues and 21 All Irelands

Tipp 7 National Leagues and 6 All Irelands

My first All Ireland attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

piuswal wrote: »
    Was at the 65-66 home final

Kilkenny
    0-9 - 0-7
    Tipperary

Kilkenny's defeat of Tipperary in the league decider is their first defeat of Tipperary in a national final since the 1922 All-Ireland final.

That, I think, was the game that finally broke Tipps dominance. Just check out results from then until today;

KK 15 National Leagues and 21 All Irelands

Tipp 7 National Leagues and 6 All Irelands

My first All Ireland attached

My Dad has the number 14 jersey that Billy Dwyer wore in that 57 final.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement