Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    First congratulations to Westmeath.

Secondly, I am surprised, shocked and gutted that Kilkenny U21 lost to Westmeath (no disrespect intended to Westmeath) but I m NOT surprised the U21s won nothing despite that obvious hurling quality.

The quote above came from what I posted in the first of a series of my posts bemoaning the minor setup in Kilkenny over the past few years and the culture that has developed and the over dependency on the City Colleges, must especially St. Kierans College. That first post came before BEFORE Kilkenny were knocked out of both the minor and U21 (27Apr, P67). Interested parties will no doubt review the previous posts.

Suffice to say here that the culture that has been allowed develop by the minor manager and his various management teams started off almost unnoticed but is growing into a rampant disease. It is well documented that Eddie Brennan had to take drastic action relating to the commitment of a number of players who had got used to the less than challenging environment at minor. Eddie is an inexperienced manager who was handed the unenviable job to turn the culture around to what is expected of KILKENNY inter county hurlers. Not an easy mess to clean up.

Players are not being challenged at minor level anymore. Your choice of school dictates selection. I m reliably informed that one of the minor selectors said in January we already know our 18 or 19 players who will see game time . We are told the dogs in the street are barking about the player who walked back on the starting team after a self-imposed sabbatical. My surprise is that so few people are actually shocked by this revelation. How could that player have real desire . That culture at that age in a club team becomes very difficult to fix, what makes anyone think it is any easier at county level?

On the bright side, the players coming through are highly talented hurlers, but it is extremely important to re-introduce the senior values at minor and Under-21. It is not necessarily going to have a major effect on the senior setup while the current management team is in place as you only need 2 or 3 lads with the Right attitude to keep the momentum. For those looking for the source of the issue, look no further than the minor setup. Some people were talking about the success of the minor management over the last four years. With the quality of young players we have, an All-Ireland quarter final is the MINIMUM target. A semi-final is only one step further along than the minimum. Would I be correct in saying that in the old days before back doors, we d have only won one Leinster in four years with hugely talented hurlers?

Besides the culture steps, two immediate steps are required. A shake up at minor management and a development squad over the winter/spring for U20/U19 (players born 1997/1998). It may be too late to get some of the players back to the required level and confidence especially, but it should be tried. A lot of the players discarded at minor over the last few years are from border based junior clubs and we are codding ourselves if we think junior hurling is at a high enough quality for them alone. These are good players who need the opportunity to fulfil their full potential. Therefore they need an outlet to allow them play at a higher level in order to rebuild their confidence and faith in the system, to take advantage of the better attitude, work ethic and increase competiveness in the 19-20 age bracket.

Unfortunately, as I said before people have to realise there is an issue before a cure is found. It is a pity it will take so many defeats before people accept there is an issue. On the other hand, we are still much better placed than most counties and if action is swift, our dominance at senior can still continue. We still have the hurling (for the time being), we need to reintroduce competiveness, commitment and spirit into our culture.

Bring back the birch i say and have these young lads flogged in public, down by the new statue on John St, wouldn't that be appropriate. So as they are lashed the statute will remind them of there guilt of this "rampant disease" know as lack of commitment.

And woe be tied any 17 year old who may want to take a few weeks off to recharge the batteries having hurled and won Leinster and All Ireland medals with two different teams in his school. We can't be having that, lack of commitment is bad enough but that's just a lack of "real desire", that's way more serious! How big is this statue? Could you hang a lad from it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Bring back the birch i say and have these young lads flogged in public, down by the new statue on John St, wouldn't that be appropriate. So as they are lashed the statute will remind them of there guilt of this "rampant disease" know as lack of commitment.

And woe be tied any 17 year old who may want to take a few weeks off to recharge the batteries having hurled and won Leinster and All Ireland medals with two different teams in his school. We can't be having that, lack of commitment is bad enough but that's just a lack of "real desire", that's way more serious! How big is this statue? Could you hang a lad from it?

In fairness, if lads want to be taking a few weeks off, then leave them to it, but they shouldn't be coming back in to take the place of lads who didn't take those weeks off. That's a disaster for morale on any team. Let alone the fact that you train every week for a reason. A few weeks without training and your touch can go to ****, I don't care how good you are.

In fairness, if lads want to be taking a few weeks off, then leave them to it, but they shouldn't be coming back in to take the place of lads who didn't take those weeks off. That's a disaster for morale on any team. Let alone the fact that you train every week for a reason. A few weeks without training and your touch can go to ****, I don't care how good you are.

So should the same rule apply to the current HOTY who walked off the panel in 2012?

I am sure he was tipping away with his club and at home with his brothers, and his touch obviously didn't go to **** as after John Donnelly he was our best forward on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

For me it was lucky he came back.as himself and donnellly carried us up front on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

dubcat51 wrote: »
    For me it was lucky he came back.as himself and donnellly carried us up front on their own.

But sure what about all that untapped talent left behind. Apparently there were better players left behind in the sticks cooling their heels. All because the manager doesn't care about results only that the townies get a game.

• Advertisement

citykat wrote: »
    But sure what about all that untapped talent left behind. Apparently there were better players left behind in the sticks cooling their heels. All because the manager doesn't care about results only that the townies get a game.

I'm not taking a side here because honestly I'm too far away from all this to have an opinion but if the point here is to win games then we're not succeeding, and if the point is to develop players with the right attitude then issues like this surely have to be looked at?

And I definitely think that different rules for different players is ultimately damaging to teams as well as player development. I've been on plenty of teams where the rules aren't for everyone.

In a normal world, a chap that gives himself a holiday should have it made permanent. The fact that it wasn't should indicate how we were strapped for quality. I've heard of this manager ostracising players who wanted time off for the leaving. He hung up on the parent of one such lad who had the temerity to look for clemency. Btw this lad was a townie and a lad I would have thought would push for a place last year. So do I think this manager has a penchant for townies? Does he f**k.
    This year an average Kilkenny minor team was beaten by a Dublin team who had previously lost to Wexford. That Dublin team was in the last chance saloon and played accordingly. It'll be interesting to see how the Dublin Wexford rematch goes. In 2014 Kilkenny lost dismally to a Dublin team they later put to the sword in the Leinster final. The rest is history.
    Whether people like it or not the minor manager will be there next year along with his selectors. I don't see any worthy heir apparents putting their hand up. If people feel a change is necessary get on to your club county board rep rather than bitching anonymously online.
    The U21 result is a shocker and will live longest with the players and management viz. the reaction on twitter toward Eddie. If that game were played again do people think the same result would obtain. I don't think so. Therefore to propose an overhaul of the entire underage system on the basis of a freak result is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Reminds me of the old urban myth that the great player had a brother who was so much better but never got a game.

How many All Irelands have we lost because our blind selectors could not see the star players that were there to be picked, if only. The answer is none i.e. for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I think the playing of minor intercounty matches in May is ridiculous anyway when we have an educational system where the course of a young persons life can be impacted by a set of exams that take place over a very short period in June, id love to see the minor grade retained but surely there is plenty of time to play it form late June to September. Not suggesting this is the reason we did badly this year because all counties are in the same situation.

The managers treatment of Whitty was very poor.put on and taken off in xtra time. Dublin were unlucky against wexford and I believe will win the leinster final.we were poor on the day and nearly won.how many of these 13s and 21st come through will tell a tale in relation to our under age structures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭randd1

In a normal world, a chap that gives himself a holiday should have it made permanent. The fact that it wasn't should indicate how we were strapped for quality. I've heard of this manager ostracising players who wanted time off for the leaving. He hung up on the parent of one such lad who had the temerity to look for clemency. Btw this lad was a townie and a lad I would have thought would push for a place last year. So do I think this manager has a penchant for townies? Does he f**k.
    This year an average Kilkenny minor team was beaten by a Dublin team who had previously lost to Wexford. That Dublin team was in the last chance saloon and played accordingly. It'll be interesting to see how the Dublin Wexford rematch goes. In 2014 Kilkenny lost dismally to a Dublin team they later put to the sword in the Leinster final. The rest is history.
    Whether people like it or not the minor manager will be there next year along with his selectors. I don't see any worthy heir apparents putting their hand up. If people feel a change is necessary get on to your club county board rep rather than bitching anonymously online.
    The U21 result is a shocker and will live longest with the players and management viz. the reaction on twitter toward Eddie. If that game were played again do people think the same result would obtain. I don't think so. Therefore to propose an overhaul of the entire underage system on the basis of a freak result is ridiculous.

The thing is though the Weatmeath result was not a freak result, we've been hammered the previous two years at U21 by Wexford, and a lot of these U21's have been well beaten by their counterparts playing for Wexford and Galway at intermediate level as well.

Considering our success at minor, schools and club level over the past 8 seasons since our last U21 win, it's not so much the result, but the level of performance and lack of progression that's the worry. The lack of progression is starting to show a bit at club senior, where the standard has dropped (even if Intermediate and junior have improved).

If the clubs start suffering, the county does.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

There are a number of better managers. Will they be asked for 2017? Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Beckerich72

There are a number of better managers. Will they be asked for 2017? Time will tell

Who

Who
    Any of the following ... M Fogarty, A Finan, M Purcell, L Smith

Who
    Any of the following ... M Fogarty, A Finan, M Purcell, L Smith
    If the second or last lad on that list were appointed, the conspiracy theorists would go apoplectic.

Seriously though are any of these interested? Would Fogarty go back to minor? I doubt it. Finan was recently made principal so I'd say he's enough on his plate. Of the remaining two I'd say Smith would be the more likely. He used to be involved with the squads afaik.

If the second or last lad on that list were appointed, the conspiracy theorists would go apoplectic.

Seriously though are any of these interested? Would Fogarty go back to minor? I doubt it. Finan was recently made principal so I'd say he's enough on his plate. Of the remaining two I'd say Smith would be the more likely. He used to be involved with the squads afaik.

How about Cody do both jobs? Has been done in other counties and he has plenty of time on his hands since he retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭PáircLife

How about Cody do both jobs? Has been done in other counties and he has plenty of time on his hands since he retired.

Cody had a bigger say in the U21 team/panel this year than some might think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

PáircLife wrote: »
    Cody had a bigger say in the U21 team/panel this year than some might think.

Much bigger...

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

His interference in U21 over the last 5 years is one of the main reasons for the dreadful performances.

Formosa wrote: »
    His interference in U21 over the last 5 years is one of the main reasons for the dreadful performances.

You have some serious chip on your shoulder about Cody. Do you want to elaborate on this "point" or was it just an opportunity to get a dig in that you couldn't resist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

You have some serious chip on your shoulder about Cody. Do you want to elaborate on this "point" or was it just an opportunity to get a dig in that you couldn't resist?

Thou shalt not criticise the infallible one...

Thou shalt not criticise the infallible one...

So you don't want to elaborate on that point. Thought not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

You can't appoint 3 virtual management rookies and then be shocked when they can't get the team up to speed. I was hoping that the quality of hurlers we had could have got them going well enough but it only goes to show what a good strong confident management team can do for a team.

I was talking to the Kilkenny man who is trainer for the Westmeath, Seniors and U21s hurlers this year and he said he was very worried for Kilkenny after he met Eddie Brennan and Richie Doyle in the tunnel before the game. He said he'd rarely seen two lads who were so nervous before a game. While he was delighted for his Westmeath charges he was bitterly disappointed with what he saw from Kilkenny and he felt that the nervousness of the management had transferred to the players. There was no confidence or surety from the management or players. Our man in the Westmeath camp knows our bunch of U21s well after following them for years coming up and he reckoned that Kilkenny U21 team should have been able to beat Westmeath by 10+ points if they were led properly. He said for 50 minutes Westmeath were by far the better team and nearly threw it away in the last 10 minutes due to their own nerves but Kilkenny didn't have the strength of character to take advantage of this weakness.

I'm not blaming Eddie or the 2 Richies for the performance I think there nervousness only shows how much Kilkenny hurling means to them. To be honest however I don't think any of them have any real management experience and managing is a lot different to playing. When your playing you just have to think about yourself and get yourself right but when your managing you have to think of every player on the panel and treat them all equally. You need to figure out what makes each individual tick some might need a bollocking, while others need an arm around their shoulder and be encouraged. Different lads with different personalities respond to different approaches. None of the management involved have had the time to develop the skill set needed to manage, which takes experience by practicing with younger less important teams.

Another point someone raised with me was most intercounty hurlers don't have much of a clue of what young underage talent is out there and how they've progressed over the years up through the ranks. Theres a good reason why, because their focusing on their own game and performances and getting their own place on the team. Their in their own intercounty bubble but as a result their actually a very poor choice for an intercounty management job so soon after finishing their careers. They should go back and work with some clubs or actually ideally start with the development squads from the starting ages and work your way up through the ages with them. Imagine being on a development squad and your hero for the last ten years Tommy Walsh, JJ Delaney, Taggy, Shefflin walks into the dressing room as part of a management set up and starts to coach you. Young lads would kill for that.

There seems to be a bit of a panic reaction to these results over the last ten years. A few things need to be realised however.
    1. We are producing good hurlers we're just not getting the right management in place @ U21 and minor to get the best out of them.
    2. Other teams are getting better after putting development squads in place and are catching up to us particularly at underage level which makes it harder to beat them like we used to.
    3. We do need to get our young hurlers winning again as winning is a habit and having lads finish their underage career getting beaten so early will eventually translate through to the seniors
    4. Cody was asked who he would select for the U21's and Eddie is who he suggested. Personally I think it's a poor choice, Eddie given the right amount of experience could actually be a good manager but it is way to early to put him into that position.
    5. Codys influence is definitely spreading beyond the Seniors and while that can be positive at times I'm not a really a fan. To be honest I would prefer if he just stuck to the Seniors and left his dabbling to the Village teams. He's a great man and has done loads for us but unless he wants to take the U21 job himself he should stay out of it. I don't know how much he was calling Eddie or how much Eddie was calling him, the latter is ok and natural, the former is interferring.
    6. We need a better management selection process from the county board. The management teams should also have goals set and reviewed by an independent committee at the end of each year to see if their improving the standard of their charges and leading effectively.

I also know that 3 of the better U21's broke some rule (went out when told not too or some such) and were kicked off the panel earlier in this year they were then allowed back a week later. This is a terrible bit of management what does it show to the players?
    1. The management treat the best players differently
    2. The management are a soft touch and can be wormed around
    3. The rules can be broken without long term consequences
    The management should have done one of two things, drop them and their gone for the year or you give them some other punishment that doesn't involve dropping them. To me it just goes to show how inexperienced the lads are.

I feel sorry for the management as they were thrown in the deep end of the pool after only ever having drunk water and taken baths, now they had 60mins to sink or swim and as we know they drowned. I hope they come back stronger but I'd have my concerns and they need to get an awful lot of experience before next year.

The minors is another matter to be honest I don't know how the management team got back in for this year. Look their doing their best but their not good enough and with some great talent have not got enough out of them. From what I hear Hoban wants to be everyones friends and the lads obviously aern't responding to it or taking him seriously. I would despair if they got another year at it and I hope someone can be found because they couldn't be much worse. For Hawkeye6 I still think your wrong when it comes to city schools influence being negative and all that argument, I do still agree though that the management have made a litany of very poor calls over the year and previous years.

We need a boot camp manager from outside the county to manage as s/he wishes to do - with absolute control.

The indirect influence of senior management and team is so strong that underage has to have a real tyrant as manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

It's good to see KK underage fall into disarray, this is what happened to Cork a while back and they took no notice of it. Hopefully you boys won't either. ;)

I have to congratulate Westmeath though, I didn't know they had a hurling team, well the name of one at any rate.

Rightwing wrote: »
    It's good to see KK underage fall into disarray, this is what happened to Cork a while back and they took no notice of it. Hopefully you boys won't either. ;)

I have to congratulate Westmeath though, I didn't know they had a hurling team, well the name of one at any rate.

Is there a prize for most pointless post of the year?

With almost 7000 posts in 3 years she can be safely ignored as she has nothing worthwhile to contribute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Excellent wee thought out post tbiggertycome...without knee jerk reactions!!

In hindsight KK have the hurlers at underage coming through and that'll always be the way. I agree that being a super hurler doesn't mean you'll translate that to the management side of things. There's examples of this in gaelic and soccer but it just seems nowadays that it's the popular choice and a lot of recent ex-players through their name in..esp. at minor and U21 level where it's usually a shorter season and there's less pressure on them.

I am not a big fan of development squads - lads should be developed through their clubs. My own feeling is that lads are developed into machines too early and by the time they get to 19 or 20, they are fed up. Too much emphasis on these squads.

I would like proper analysis done on how many of these lads on development squads actually have a decent senior career i.e. lads who spend 4/5 years on development squads - will they have senior career of 8 years??

In hindsight KK have the hurlers at underage coming through and that'll always be the way. I agree that being a super hurler doesn't mean you'll translate that to the management side of things. There's examples of this in gaelic and soccer but it just seems nowadays that it's the popular choice and a lot of recent ex-players through their name in..esp. at minor and U21 level where it's usually a shorter season and there's less pressure on them.

I am not a big fan of development squads - lads should be developed through their clubs. My own feeling is that lads are developed into machines too early and by the time they get to 19 or 20, they are fed up. Too much emphasis on these squads.

I would like proper analysis done on how many of these lads on development squads actually have a decent senior career i.e. lads who spend 4/5 years on development squads - will they have senior career of 8 years??

Some good coaches in squads but some not so good

• Advertisement

Some good coaches in squads but some not so good

I think, in a way, it's not even the coaches. The lads are being developed far faster than they should. Nearly in a professional way and by the time they get to 18 or 19, they are fed up or the hunger isn't there.

All this development stuff comes from professional sports but these lads are still at school and still play with the clubs.

In a way, they get burnt out when they reach 20...the very opposite of what should be happening to them i.e. starting to reach their full potential.

In other counties it's worse as they play both hurling and football. Their coaches, in every team, want their pound of flesh.

Let them play the game as lads and naturally!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

I think, in a way, it's not even the coaches. The lads are being developed far faster than they should. Nearly in a professional way and by the time they get to 18 or 19, they are fed up or the hunger isn't there.

All this development stuff comes from professional sports but these lads are still at school and still play with the clubs.

In a way, they get burnt out when they reach 20...the very opposite of what should be happening to them i.e. starting to reach their full potential.

In other counties it's worse as they play both hurling and football. Their coaches, in every team, want their pound of flesh.

But sure then what are you going to do, abandon development squads and all the work that goes in at underage county level. We'd be exactly where are cork are now, in 8 years time. Pulling out hair out trying to reverse it.

delaney001 wrote: »

But sure then what are you going to do, abandon development squads and all the work that goes in at underage county level. We'd be exactly where are cork are now, in 8 years time. Pulling out hair out trying to reverse it.

I just think there is too much emphasis on development squads. I wouldn't down tools.

The key question is are these development squads 'developing' players for their age group, minors, U21's or the longer term i.e seniors?

It's probably too early to say, if you look at seniors for example, how many of the current U16 / U17 development will have a 'long' (probably not the right word) career as a KK senior?

delaney001 wrote: »

I just think there is too much emphasis on development squads. I wouldn't down tools.

The key question is are these development squads 'developing' players for their age group, minors, U21's or the longer term i.e seniors?

It's probably too early to say, if you look at seniors for example, how many of the current U16 / U17 development will have a 'long' (probably not the right word) career as a KK senior?
    My understanding of the original intent of the development squads was a raising of standards not hothousing hurlers.

The standard served up by Dublin and Wexford suggests that we are not too far behind, if behind at all.

I thought the ref had a shocker. He failed to protect the players on the pitch from assault. At least one player should have got a straight red. Also the fact that the tie was in Wexford Park may explain why Wexford found it so
    much easier to get frees than the Dubs did. Wexford were truly awful.

We'll see whether Westmeath's game can stand up

Look winning minor and u21 is a bonus.Its all about winning at senior.we havent won a 21 in quiet a while.yet Joyce p.walsh Walter ger awkward Colin fennelly and others have come through and won senior.tj Richie winning in 08.so the core group of our seniors have progressed through 21s Think we are getting a over reaction to recent results.galway limerick clare have had great 21 success. But only clare in 13 won a senior (lucky one).

• Advertisement

I heard Ollie Walsh from the Boro and Mark Bergin from OLG have both been called in to the squad and both are hurling very well. They had a day in Carton Hse on Saturday just up for the day no overnight stay.

In the last two rounds of club games both these players stood out to me as lads who are at or very close to the level required for intercounty so I'm heartened to see that lads hard work and application is noted and rewarded with a chance to make a stake for a place on the panel.

Walsh has really hardened up over the winter and really pushed on in terms of his performances. He was outstanding against the Fenians in a game the Boro won easily in the end but it was from hard graft put in by him and others that they pulled away in the second half. Against the Village he was as busy and effective but just didn't get on the scoreboard but given the conditions that day I'm glad he wasn't going for points it showed good maturity. He might be a lad slow to develop but he's definitely improved beyond all recognition from last year.
    Scores in senior club this year:
    Total He scored 0-05 out of 5-40 and 0-05 from play a good return for a midfielder
    St Martins He scored 0-2 out of 0-13 and 0-02 from play
    Fenians He scored 0-3 out of 4-15 and 0-3 was from play
    James Stephens He scored 0-0 out of 1-12 and 0-0 was from play

I only saw Bergin against Clara and he surprised me that day as he is often anonymous enough from play but lethal from frees and 65's. His attitude seems to have changed and he worked fierce hard and picked off some nice points from play. He's always been a player you'd wonder why he hasn't pushed on but he's obviously stepped it up a notch and it's reaping dividends for him.
    Total He scored 1-28 out of 5-42 and 1-08 from play
    Erins Own He scored 0-6 out of 1-10 and -01 was from play
    Clara He scored 0-12 out of 1-18 and 0-2 was from play
    Mullinavat He scored 1-10 out of 3-14 and 1-5 was from play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

unrealtime wrote: »
    The standard served up by Dublin and Wexford suggests that we are not too far behind, if behind at all.

I thought the ref had a shocker. He failed to protect the players on the pitch from assault. At least one player should have got a straight red. Also the fact that the tie was in Wexford Park may explain why Wexford found it so
    much easier to get frees than the Dubs did. Wexford were truly awful.

We'll see whether Westmeath's game can stand up

He was bad. As Allen said in his commentary, under 21s tend not to know each other that well so there's no grudges and scores being settled. Had that been Dubs and Wexford seniors it would have turned nasty given the erratic, to say the least!, officiating.

You could argue about the O'Donnell 'shoulder' and whether it deserved a card. There was surely no doubt about the assault on Seán Treacy, nor of the colour of the card it warranted.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Look winning minor and u21 is a bonus.Its all about winning at senior.we havent won a 21 in quiet a while.yet Joyce p.walsh Walter ger awkward Colin fennelly and others have come through and won senior.tj Richie winning in 08.so the core group of our seniors have progressed through 21s Think we are getting a over reaction to recent results.galway limerick clare have had great 21 success. But only clare in 13 won a senior (lucky one).

I think losing to Westmeath given the quality of our players is very hard to excuse. Great players, and what a player don't necessarily make managers. One of the selectors is barely out of U 21 and totally inexperienced at this level.
    Someone got this very wrong

I heard Ollie Walsh from the Boro and Mark Bergin from OLG have both been called in to the squad and both are hurling very well. They had a day in Carton Hse on Saturday just up for the day no overnight stay.

In the last two rounds of club games both these players stood out to me as lads who are at or very close to the level required for intercounty so I'm heartened to see that lads hard work and application is noted and rewarded with a chance to make a stake for a place on the panel.

Walsh has really hardened up over the winter and really pushed on in terms of his performances. He was outstanding against the Fenians in a game the Boro won easily in the end but it was from hard graft put in by him and others that they pulled away in the second half. Against the Village he was as busy and effective but just didn't get on the scoreboard but given the conditions that day I'm glad he wasn't going for points it showed good maturity. He might be a lad slow to develop but he's definitely improved beyond all recognition from last year.
    Total He scored 0-05 out of 5-40 and 0-05 from play a good return for a midfielder
    St Martins He scored 0-2 out of 0-13 and 0-02 from play
    Fenians He scored 0-3 out of 4-15 and 0-3 was from play
    James Stephens He scored 0-0 out of 1-12 and 0-0 was from play

I only saw Bergin against Clara and he surprised me that day as he is often anonymous enough from play but lethal from frees and 65's. His attitude seems to have changed and he worked fierce hard and picked off some nice points from play. He's always been a player you'd wonder why he hasn't pushed on but he's obviously stepped it up a notch and it's reaping dividends for him.
    Total He scored 1-28 out of 5-42 and 1-08 from play
    Erins Own He scored 0-6 out of 1-10 and -01 was from play
    Clara He scored 0-12 out of 1-18 and 0-2 was from play
    Mullinavat He scored 1-10 out of 3-14 and 1-5 was from play

I'd agree with you on Walsh. Was playing very well against Fenians at MF until they switched him with Buckley purely to get Buckley into the game. Also had a good game against the Village particularly the second half. The one criticism I'd have of him is he sometimes looks for a short pass when he should be driving it long.
    Bringing lads into the panel at this stage freshens things up and puts pressure on the established lads. No harm in that.

The one thing that really annoyed me on the night was the lethargic approach of the players.were the management to blame for this (I don't know)given some of them are with the senior set up and the great attitude they bring to every game.how these players develop on will tell whether it was them or the management.watching last night's game it looks like we messed up on a great chance to win leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

frank Murphy would be in full agreement with the views being expressed about development squads.
    Let lads develop naturally indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Was never impressed with Ollie Walsh up through the grades so I hope he's improved immeasurably if he's in with the seniors. Saying he played well against Johnstown isn't much considering they're septic. And I say that as a St. Martins man who watched them beat us a few weeks ago

Was never impressed with Ollie Walsh up through the grades so I hope he's improved immeasurably if he's in with the seniors. Saying he played well against Johnstown isn't much considering they're septic. And I say that as a St. Martins man who watched them beat us a few weeks ago
    To be honest it wasn't necessarily his performance against either the Village or the Fenians per sa but an accumulation and consistency which needs to be proven in county training buy there has been at 100% improvement in Ollies play so far this year.

I doubt he will break into the match day squad this year but next year if you had to pick for the league between C Fogarty, L Ryan, M Fennelly(injured most likely) O Walsh, R Hogan! I would hope he gets a few games in the league next year and a chance to earn a spot at the top table. I would be very surprised if he doesn't have a great cut off it in the league next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

How are we on the injury list?will shane pender or mick fennelley be played/risked?very hard to risk lads these days and thanfully brian has learned from that.five of the six backs will pick themselves.fogary and lester or fennelley midfield,larkin,wally,tj and colin are certs so two vacancies he'll probaly pick power as one although he was also injured farrell had a good league and is a handfull and got 1-1 from play against clare and probaly deserves a start.bolger/kelly are two others in contention but our bench looks very light especially up front

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

brookville wrote: »
    How are we on the injury list?will shane pender or mick fennelley be played/risked?very hard to risk lads these days and thanfully brian has learned from that.five of the six backs will pick themselves.fogary and lester or fennelley midfield,larkin,wally,tj and colin are certs so two vacancies he'll probaly pick power as one although he was also injured farrell had a good league and is a handfull and got 1-1 from play against clare and probaly deserves a start.bolger/kelly are two others in contention but our bench looks very light especially up front

You forgot cody as a cert, a place will be found for him I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Obviously still a week out so a lot can change but talk that Joe Lyng could start in corner back. Also heard yesterday that Mark Bergin could play a part and maybe even start next Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Obviously still a week out so a lot can change but talk that Joe Lyng could start in corner back. Also heard yesterday that Mark Bergin could play a part and maybe even start next Saturday.

Lyng starting would probaly raise a few eyebrows but cody has great time for him and his quicker than lennon and o shea who are both slower and more central players.bergin starting is more of a suprise considering he hasn't being involved in a few years but if he does start cody is being true to his word and starting players who are in good form in training

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

The minors is another matter to be honest I don't know how the management team got back in for this year. Look their doing their best but their not good enough and with some great talent have not got enough out of them. From what I hear Hoban wants to be everyones friends and the lads obviously aern't responding to it or taking him seriously. I would despair if they got another year at it and I hope someone can be found because they couldn't be much worse. For Hawkeye6 I still think your wrong when it comes to city schools influence being negative and all that argument, I do still agree though that the management have made a litany of very poor calls over the year and previous years.

A lot of very valid points well made, but it we ll have to agree to differ on city schools. To be fair the City Schools are doing a huge amount of great work and I didn t intend it to be totally negative and overlook their genuine promotion of the game, unfortunately, the management teams led by the current manager has not done any favours for a united front for minor which I believe has and will have effects going into U21.

However, I think it is safe to say that we agree on the following two points (and I know it is the thoughts of the vast majority of hurling people around the county); we DO have a lot of great young talent and a Minor management team continued to be led by the current manager would lead to a lot of despair around the county. Though who would replace him, would need to be well thought out.

I know several development squad coaches are totally frustrated by him as he as ignored their advice and suggestions on players on numerous occasions. In fact some have suggested he set about doing the complete opposite. I know many players both from city schools and non-city schools do not trust or understand many of his selections, both overall squad and team choices. I also know a former multi AI medal winner who has huge connections with one of the schools agrees with the sentiments of bias (though he suggest it may not be deliberate, just lazy), He goes a number of steps further questioning the overall benefit of having so many lads in the school who are not getting meaningful game time. Training against your friend in school is totally different to training against your team mate at senior with intensity in the Park and does not replace the reality of full blown matches. You re not in the same room all day with your marker at Senior. He also wonders how often the current manager has been seen at underage club matches all around the county, not just minor. For example four years ago, was he seen at many U14/U16 matches watching players develop?

The dynamic will change with minor being changed to U17. Try picking a minor team based on a college team which is u18 and a half then. It may be the one positive to come out of that rule change for Kilkenny. We are entering the unknown and the next minor management team needs to cover three years and know the young players coming through and have a genuine enthusiasm for the leg work around the county watching all teams.

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    A lot of very valid points well made, but it we ll have to agree to differ on city schools. To be fair the City Schools are doing a huge amount of great work and I didn t intend it to be totally negative and overlook their genuine promotion of the game, unfortunately, the management teams led by the current manager has not done any favours for a united front for minor which I believe has and will have effects going into U21.

However, I think it is safe to say that we agree on the following two points (and I know it is the thoughts of the vast majority of hurling people around the county); we DO have a lot of great young talent and a Minor management team continued to be led by the current manager would lead to a lot of despair around the county. Though who would replace him, would need to be well thought out.

I know several development squad coaches are totally frustrated by him as he as ignored their advice and suggestions on players on numerous occasions. In fact some have suggested he set about doing the complete opposite. I know many players both from city schools and non-city schools do not trust or understand many of his selections, both overall squad and team choices. I also know a former multi AI medal winner who has huge connections with one of the schools agrees with the sentiments of bias (though he suggest it may not be deliberate, just lazy), He goes a number of steps further questioning the overall benefit of having so many lads in the school who are not getting meaningful game time. Training against your friend in school is totally different to training against your team mate at senior with intensity in the Park and does not replace the reality of full blown matches. You re not in the same room all day with your marker at Senior. He also wonders how often the current manager has been seen at underage club matches all around the county, not just minor. For example four years ago, was he seen at many U14/U16 matches watching players develop?

The dynamic will change with minor being changed to U17. Try picking a minor team based on a college team which is u18 and a half then. It may be the one positive to come out of that rule change for Kilkenny. We are entering the unknown and the next minor management team needs to cover three years and know the young players coming through and have a genuine enthusiasm for the leg work around the county watching all teams.

Any suggestions as to personnel who should be involved?

Surely mentors should take their group all the way through from 14 to minor.then a mentor has had a long time with a group and should have seen every available player before minor.we have some great ex players who could bring squads all the way through . management would gain great experience .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement