Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Obviously still a week out so a lot can change but talk that Joe Lyng could start in corner back. Also heard yesterday that Mark Bergin could play a part and maybe even start next Saturday.

Well Joe Lyng won't be playing, suffered a bad knee injury and will be out for the year club and county I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

So we have Pender, Jackie and Lyng all injured? Who'll start in the left corner? And Holden in poor form beside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

hope too many players mentioned in it don't read this site. If they do, they're doomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

unrealtime wrote: »
    hope too many players mentioned in it don't read this site. If they do, they're doomed.

We need to bea bit more positive. I think the minor and U21 results , probably because they were so close together, has cast a bit of a shadow over things.

In regards to the seniors, we'll see how things go next week. Obviously, they are a few spots up for grabs, both in defence and attack and we see how the game pans out.

Hopefully the sttitude will be good and we can get the win although i wouldn't worry too much about the performance but i'd want a few different players standing up and putting in a good showing, especially up front, instead of being dependent of T.J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Well Joe Lyng won't be playing, suffered a bad knee injury and will be out for the year club and county I believe.

Shít. Very bad news for him. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

The gala need to do something about refs. Another shocker today when coulter got a deliberate hurley in the nuts almost in front of the ref. It was a straight red but the ref did absolutely nothing. Another abject failure to protect players from assault. Indeed the refs attitude seemed to be - ah get up and be a man!

GAA need to review matches and referees performances so as to be in a position to take remedial action against refs and players where due. They need to be much more proactive in this regard. Had Henry got serious eye damage in Thurles or Coulter serious damage in the nether regions yesterday, both from cowardly and sneaky blows, would the GAA really be allowed to deny that these happened.

One of these days - because of GAA failures and negligence in ignoring its duty of care, someone will take the association to the cleaners.

after yesterday how about a Clare Kilkenny quarter final in Nowlan Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

that could surely only happen if it were a qualifier? are quarter finals not fixed for thurles anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Are we not still in with a shot at winning Leinster, or did I miss something?

Are you back from the future or something? :confused:

no just given how badly stricken we are with injuries it will be a marvellous performance to beat Dublin.

If we lose we could meet Clare in the next round in Kilkenny. Not that difficult to imagine i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

no just given how badly stricken we are with injuries it will be a marvellous performance to beat Dublin.

If we lose we could meet Clare in the next round in Kilkenny. Not that difficult to imagine i'd say.

Keep the faith!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Surely mentors should take their group all the way through from 14 to minor.then a mentor has had a long time with a group and should have seen every available player before minor.we have some great ex players who could bring squads all the way through . management would gain great experience .
    No its better to develop players with changing coaches every age group and have different voices overseeing players at under 14/15/16 and minor. This allows the best players to shine through and no coaches particular bias to come through either.
    GAA need to review matches and referees performances so as to be in a position to take remedial action against refs and players where due. They need to be much more proactive in this regard. Had Henry got serious eye damage in Thurles or Coulter serious damage in the nether regions yesterday, both from cowardly and sneaky blows, would the GAA really be allowed to deny that these happened.

One of these days - because of GAA failures and negligence in ignoring its duty of care, someone will take the association to the cleaners.
    What action do you carry out against referees?

Don't give them important games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭blackcard

So Richie Power retired. Richie Hogan injured. Ger Aylward injured. James Maher injured. Michael Fennelly injured. Shane Prendergast injured. Joe Lyng injured. Conor Fogarty Jackie Tyrrell first match back after injury, Eoin Larkin hasn't played an inter-county match for 9 months. Real test on Saturday night.Have any backs been added to the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Is mick fennelly out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

blackcard wrote: »
    So Richie Power retired. Richie Hogan injured. Ger Aylward injured. James Maher injured. Michael Fennelly injured. Shane Prendergast injured. Joe Lyng injured. Conor Fogarty Jackie Tyrrell first match back after injury, Eoin Larkin hasn't played an inter-county match for 9 months. Real test on Saturday night.Have any backs been added to the panel?

I've no doubt it will be a tough test and one we could lose. However I would say
    Richie Power- gone all year and most of last year if we're being honest, we've learned to live without
    Richie Hogan- a huge loss yes but will be back sooner than expected from what i hear, not for this game though.
    Ger Aylward- gone all year so far, we've learned to live without for the time being
    James Maher- is an interesting prospect but no more than that yet even if he wasn't injured would he be starting? Is he ready for championship yet?
    Michael Fennelly- is going to be close to making it, may not be quite there for Saturday
    Shane Prendergast- form so far this year has been poor in my opinion still a loss though
    Joe Lyng- was unlikely to play any role this year I in my opinion but I've seen very little of him this year
    Conor Fogarty- has been in imperious form for Erins Own I would be confident he'll be fine.
    Jackie Tyrrell- is recovered and wasn't amazing at CB against the Boro but was still better than Diarmuid Cody who was annonymous
    Eoin Larkin- is looking fit and his touch is still there the shooting wasn't amazing but I'm sure a few weeks of intercounty training will have sharpened that up.

The team as I see it
    Eoin Murphy- will be fine as long as he learns not to take his FB out of it when not winning the ball
    Paul Murphy- in good form v Ballyhale no fear of him
    Joey Houlden- he's form hasn't been amazing but I would still go with him just about
    Jackie Tyrrell- depending on training I'd probably start with Jackie see how he goes but have Robbie Lennon lined up to slot in there

Padraig Walsh- in amazing form from what I've seen at club level
    Kieran Joyce- solid no fear here
    Cillian Buckley- has really come back into form since the ground has hardened up

Conor Fogarty- he'll be fine no worries at all
    Lester Ryan- Hopefully he takes his opportunity if M Fennelly isn't ready

Wally Walsh- he's upped his performmances big time this year I hope it continues.
    TJ Reid- no fears here
    Colin Fennelly- was in great form and very strong v Danesfort in the match I saw

Kevin Kelly- he should get 20-30 mins if not doing it be called a shore and replaced
    JJ Farrell- I'd give him a go after he's great league Semi Final he'll cause pandamonium if nothing else
    Eoin Larkin- Sure give him an ould shot at it

Subs
    Richie Reid
    Robbie Lennon- assuming he's fit again he should be by now.
    Diarmuid Cody
    Conor O'Shea
    Michael Fennelly- assuming he's fit
    John Power
    Liam Blanchfield
    Chris Bolger
    Mark Bergin

To be honest we need to find some solutions to our defence not for the starters but for the bench the only real option I see there is Robbie Lennon if he can get over his hamstring issue. There is one lad out there who I think is hurling up a storm for his club and thats Cathal O'Neill from Danesfort he did a great job on intercounty boys from Ballyhale no small task.

We have some very good backs coming up the ranks but their all a bit young and green to be thrown in for championship debuts. Jason Cleere, Tommy Walsh, Evan Cody, Conor Delaney, Robbie Fitzpatrick, Huw Lalor Conor Delaney most of these in time could probably do a very good job and dispossess some of our current backs of their positions but they need more time and a good lot of league experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭PáircLife

The team as I see it
    Eoin Murphy- will be fine as long as he learns not to take his FB out of it when not winning the ball
    Joey Houlden- he's form hasn't been amazing but I would still go with him just about
    Jackie Tyrrell- depending on training I'd probably start with Jackie see how he goes but have Robbie Lennon lined up to slot in there

Cillian Buckley- has really come back into form since the ground has hardened up

Wally Walsh- he's upped his performmances big time this year I hope it continues.
    TJ Reid- no fears here
    Colin Fennelly- was in great form and very strong v Danesfort in the match I saw

Kevin Kelly- he should get 20-30 mins if not doing it be called a shore and replaced
    JJ Farrell- I'd give him a go after he's great league Semi Final he'll cause pandamonium if nothing else

Any person who thinks Diarmuid Cody won't be playing Saturday is just a wishful-thinker. Can see him playing corner back instead of Jackie! Can also see our full back line getting a bit of a roasting. Hope I'm wrong about all this :(

PáircLife wrote: »
    Any person who thinks Diarmuid Cody won't be playing Saturday is just a wishful-thinker. Can see him playing corner back instead of Jackie! Can also see our full back line getting a bit of a roasting. Hope I'm wrong about all this :(

Unfortunately I fear your right I think he will be picked but he shouldn't be:mad:. The above is what i would pick, I'd expect 4-5 differences between what i picked and what will take the field be it personnel or positional changes in the backs or personnel changes in front of that. It's always dangerous to try and pick Codys team it's invariably different and even more so now with less clear cut starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

I've no doubt it will be a tough test and one we could lose. However I would say
    Richie Power- gone all year and most of last year if we're being honest, we've learned to live without
    Richie Hogan- a huge loss yes but will be back sooner than expected from what i hear, not for this game though.
    Ger Aylward- gone all year so far, we've learned to live without for the time being
    James Maher- is an interesting prospect but no more than that yet even if he wasn't injured would he be starting? Is he ready for championship yet?
    Michael Fennelly- is going to be close to making it, may not be quite there for Saturday
    Shane Prendergast- form so far this year has been poor in my opinion still a loss though
    Joe Lyng- was unlikely to play any role this year I in my opinion but I've seen very little of him this year
    Conor Fogarty- has been in imperious form for Erins Own I would be confident he'll be fine.
    Jackie Tyrrell- is recovered and wasn't amazing at CB against the Boro but was still better than Diarmuid Cody who was annonymous
    Eoin Larkin- is looking fit and his touch is still there the shooting wasn't amazing but I'm sure a few weeks of intercounty training will have sharpened that up.

The team as I see it

TJ Reid- no fears here

Subs
    Richie Reid
    Robbie Lennon- assuming he's fit again he should be by now.
    Diarmuid Cody
    Conor O'Shea
    Michael Fennelly- assuming he's fit
    John Power
    Liam Blanchfield
    Chris Bolger
    Mark Bergin

To be honest we need to find some solutions to our defence not for the starters but for the bench the only real option I see there is Robbie Lennon if he can get over his hamstring issue. There is one lad out there who I think is hurling up a storm for his club and thats Cathal O'Neill from Danesfort he did a great job on intercounty boys from Ballyhale no small task.

We have some very good backs coming up the ranks but their all a bit young and green to be thrown in for championship debuts. Jason Cleere, Tommy Walsh, Evan Cody, Conor Delaney, Robbie Fitzpatrick, Huw Lalor Conor Delaney most of these in time could probably do a very good job and dispossess some of our current backs of their positions but they need more time and a good lot of league experience.

Not so sure about no fear with Kieran Joyce. Heard he got a roasting in recent game in Portlaoise where he was taken for 6 points....

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Not so sure about no fear with Kieran Joyce. Heard he got a roasting in recent game in Portlaoise where he was taken for 6 points....
    Well maybe Robbie Lennon will start so but I've heard these stories and even seen such things myself in the past when training used to be open. Usually the player had a stormer the next game or the next training session. Kieran has his faults and is not the ultimate CB but we don't really have a replacement for him at the minute and he's better than most out there and with the two men he has sweeping in from either wing I'd be content with our HB line. It's about the only line I would be happy 100% with.

Who did they play in portlaoise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Rumors of Lennon training in the forwards... anybody???

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Rumors of Lennon training in the forwards... anybody???

Doubt it. We're short enough on backs

Will the team be announced on Friday evening...or, as the game is on a Saturday evening, on Thursday evening?

Will the team be announced on Friday evening...or, as the game is on a Saturday evening, on Thursday evening?

Thursday I'd have thought, no? Hopefully anyway, give us something to give out about! (If Cody is playing I think we're entitled to a bit of a moan in fairness, but we might be all proven wrong!)

Thursday I'd have thought, no? Hopefully anyway, give us something to give out about! (If Cody is playing I think we're entitled to a bit of a moan in fairness, but we might be all proven wrong!)

If Brian Cody picks any player it will be on his performances in training, after 17 years at the job I think he knows that to pick a guy for any other reason would be tantamount to managerial suicide.

As far back as before the All Ireland semi final against Waterford last year I've heard from players within the panel that D. Cody has been one of the strongest performers in training, a lot of players actually thought he deserved to start that day.

I don't think he'll start this weekend tbh but if he does he'll get the same support from me as the other 14 on the field and please god his championship debut will be a successful one.

Cody is not bad but he is too slow I think. He has had a good career so far. Depending on who is available he may indeed merit a start but I hope we are not so threadbare.

If it happens, it happens. If Mick Fennelly is available, it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭PáircLife

As far back as before the All Ireland semi final against Waterford last year I've heard from players within the panel that D. Cody has been one of the strongest performers in training, a lot of players actually thought he deserved to start that day.
    Players are not going to slate their teamates. Not kk ones anyway, that's another small factor as to why they have been so great the last decade! Your name is kkclubhurling but if you went to any Village club matches you'd realise that he's not up to Senior inter-county standard unfortunately.

D. Cody is actually a nice young fella and as honest as they come and obviously I hope he flies it if he's chosen to play but B. Cody doesn't always pick players on their ability. There are rare exceptions...

• Advertisement

PáircLife wrote: »
    Players are not going to slate their teamates. Not kk ones anyway, that's another small factor as to why they have been so great the last decade! Your name is kkclubhurling but if you went to any Village club matches you'd realise that he's not up to Senior inter-county standard unfortunately.

D. Cody is actually a nice young fella and as honest as they come and obviously I hope he flies it if he's chosen to play but B. Cody doesn't always pick players on their ability. There are rare exceptions...

I've seen a good few club matches this year, including the Village and while I'd have no problem saying Cody hasn't stood out (which is what an inter county hurler should do) I could say the same about 4 or 5 other KK hurlers in the matches I've seen them play this year.

Anyway I'm not here on any Cody mission, I just think that as much as being a Cody might help Diarmuid, it can equally be a hindrance for him too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

If Cody Jr is picked, the only spot for him is MF. I don't believe he has the speed or hurling for anywhere else. His greatest strength is his honesty. He showed that against Tipp in the league when after taking one heavy tackle he got up and took another one. After spending some time on the deck he got taken off and was clearly unhappy with that. He was also one of the few to go toe to toe with Wexford last year in the U21 Leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

citykat wrote: »
    If Cody Jr is picked, the only spot for him is MF. I don't believe he has the speed or hurling for anywhere else. His greatest strength is his honesty. He showed that against Tipp in the league when after taking one heavy tackle he got up and took another one. After spending some time on the deck he got taken off and was clearly unhappy with that. He was also one of the few to go toe to toe with Wexford last year in the U21 Leinster final.

If Mick Fennelly is still unavailable, Lennon or Cody are the types (big, strong) that could slot in at centre forward, as they will give 100% and like to break forward.

If Cody is performing, he is entitled to be considered like anyone else. In fact, his name is a hindrance, and it looks like he has to play twice as well to be accepted by the begrudgers.

I don't want young Cody to play, it's not because he's BC's son that I don't want him to play but because from what I've seen he's not good enough for intercounty. He doesn't have the hurling or the quickness to read the game appropriately from what I've seen of him.

I 100% agree he is very committed and is as honest in his endeavors as the day is long but I just don't think thats enough. I do think there are other lads out there who are better. I'm sure he's a very nice personable guy but this is Championship not the Rose of Tralee and having a nice personality is one of the last traits I would list you need to have to make it as a intercounty hurler.

I wished him well and hoped his performances in the League could persuade me hes up to the level. They were definitely better than I expected but he still wasn't good enough. He's performances for the Village I've seen this year were worrying, granted thats not county training but thats all we have to go on. I don't disagree that he's name could be a hindirance in getting selected if Cody was a mortal human being but BC just doesn't care what anyone else thinks of the team he picks and thats a brilliant trait in a manager, but I don't think it stops him picking his own young lad.

I wouldn't be that critical of him from what I've seen, he's not any worse than a few others who are in the reckoning. Ido think he lacks the speed to make it at inter county but then i would have said that about Conor Fogarty a few years ago too!

The bigger worry for me is full back.

Going by the Independent, via Hogan Stand (sorry no link) that Richie Hogan could play a bit..would it be worth risking him?

I wouldn't think so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭letowski

From an outsiders perspective, I think Cody should back his squad and maybe have him on the 26 for an 'incase of emergency' situation. Richie has had too many injuries to be forced back in. When he is full fit he is an elite forward, which is what ye will need in August, not now.

Kil v Dub
    E Murphy
    P Murphy J Holden J Tyrrell
    P Walsh K Joyce C Buckley
    L Ryan C Fogarty
    W Walsh M Fennelly TJ Reid
    JJ Farrell C Fennelly E Larkin
    Subs
    R Reid
    R Lennon
    D Cody
    C oShea
    C Martin
    K Kelly
    J Power
    M Bergin
    L Blanchfield
    C Bolger
    M Malone

Kil v Dub
    E Murphy
    L Ryan C Fogarty
    Subs
    R Reid
    R Lennon
    D Cody
    C oShea
    C Martin
    K Kelly
    J Power
    M Bergin
    L Blanchfield
    C Bolger
    M Malone

Interesting.

No major changes in defence.

Maybe Mick will play midfield and Lester drop back a bit?

Larks will be a good addidition up front.

• Advertisement

Kil v Dub
    E Murphy
    L Ryan C Fogarty
    Subs
    R Reid
    R Lennon
    D Cody
    C oShea
    C Martin
    K Kelly
    J Power
    M Bergin
    L Blanchfield
    C Bolger
    M Malone

Generally happy with that team personally. Would still worry about Tyrell in the corner due to the lack of pace, hope his experience makes up for that, but given our last outing I'm a bit worried about our full back line getting leaky. The big additions for me are Conor Fogarty and Mick Fennelly, they'll seriously shore up the middle and limit the ball coming through from their half backs. Much more confident with them in. Farrell is a worry up the front, but whatever about that we'll need Colin Fennelly stepping up, can't just be relying on Mick and TJ to get scores all day (given the possibility Larkin might be dropping back a lot to help out)

Happy with that.think jackie will step up now he's back starting. Personally I really like bolger and would have him over Farnell. Really big and strong half forward line (can't see any tippy toppy hurling there)let's go 3 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭blackcard

Any idea whether Dublin will play with a sweeper? I imagine they will try quick puckouts and a short passing game. Eamon Dillon and Mark Shutter will be their danger men, really impressed with Dillon.

Don't think they will play a sweeper. Stop there tippy tappy game and drive on.hope we can ein this and drive on.alot of people looking for us to falter.especially after 21s and minors. Waterford tipp clare all talked up over us,yet were the team going for 3 in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Don't think they will play a sweeper. Stop there tippy tappy game and drive on.hope we can ein this and drive on.alot of people looking for us to falter.especially after 21s and minors. Waterford tipp clare all talked up over us,yet were the team going for 3 in a row.

I hope the half backs are drinking with you :)

I'm happy with the team.

I'm confident that the full-back line will be a lot, lot better than when they got the roasting from Clare. I think Jackie will be able to give a high level performance. Delighted to see Conor Fogarty, Mick Fennelly and Larkin back. Fingers crossed Mick Fennelly is in relatively good condition.

The subs bench is weak though. It wouldn't strike much fear into the Dublin players.

• Advertisement

Hope they drag Jackie out the field - the furthest he is from his own goal the better. Like to see Lester play well on the hard ground but really hope it rains incessantly for 48 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Hope they drag Jackie out the field - the furthest he is from his own goal the better. Like to see Lester play well on the hard ground but really hope it rains incessantly for 48 hours

Dublin generally play into the corners.

Tyrell had a hard time following Dillon in the league if memory serves, will he mark him again? He'd be better on O'Callaghan.

Good team though. They're capable of strangling Dublin out the field and making such worries academic imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Shut up corny. you are giving the game away!

Seriously though, I reckon it could be interesting match. League game was meaningless for both so is irrelevant for Saturday.

Would be fearful that if Dublin try going short Cats will just close them down. Cunningham ought to remember that from the early noughties!

But I give us a chance. Rushie on Fennelly be worth the entrance fee alone.

That'll be a good battle alright, two big men, old school stuff. Hope we get a full 70 from Mick fennelly, would agree the cupboard is nearly bare on the bench but would like to see Kelly get a decent run.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement