Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

apart from being very inconvinced - that is based on a number of displays now, I also mentioned a star in the making and wondered whether his bulk had slowed him. These are all valid points and I am not judging him at this early stage. But others with much promise (like say Mark Aylward or the other marks (Kelly and Bergin) faded out of it even though these are quality hurlers and made good impressions for a while. Point is that the margin for success and failure with Kilkenny is extremely small and Blanchfield could easily fail unless he impresses early on. His club performances should give him a boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Any word on young Maher these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Any word on young Maher these days?

Back running and should step up his recovery with full contact training hopefully he can make the bench the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

"It’s short enough to heal but afterwards is the problem with the muscle loss and getting pain in it then."

That's a quote from him the week before the Westmeath U21 game. He hasn't a hope of making the Leinster Final squad. He won't be right for the rest of the year. He should be looked after this year, build it back up slowly and start again next year.

It took TJ a year to get right after Tannion done him. Maher is too young to rush back and do more damage.

"It’s short enough to heal but afterwards is the problem with the muscle loss and getting pain in it then."

That's a quote from him the week before the Westmeath U21 game. He hasn't a hope of making the Leinster Final squad. He won't be right for the rest of the year. He should be looked after this year, build it back up slowly and start again next year.

It took TJ a year to get right after Tannion done him. Maher is too young to rush back and do more damage.

I agree he should be given time to recover and I'm sure he will but he is back running and it wasn't as serious as tj injury so hopefully we can see him later in the year

Cork V Dublin in qualifier..they'll be sick of the sight of each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Clare got laois at home just like 13.whats the chance on them getting wexford next and hopefully galway in quarters.next qualifiers should be good . probably limerick clare cork/dubs and wex/offaly

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Clare got laois at home just like 13.whats the chance on them getting wexford next and hopefully galway in quarters.next qualifiers should be good . probably limerick clare cork/dubs and wex/offaly

I see Clare get Laois in the football too. If it's a double header which will will Podge pick??,

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I see Clare get Laois in the football too. If it's a double header which will will Podge pick??,

I'd reckon he would pick football.

• Advertisement

Topcat32 wrote: »

I'd reckon he would pick football.

Probably, his father is still managing them and i think he has a brother on team. I wonder, because of that, could the GAA make it 2 seperate venues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

He'll play hurling or he'll be sitting on his arse for the rest of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

He'll play hurling or he'll be sitting on his arse for the rest of the year

Dunno about that. Clare need Podge (in terms of competing for the AI). Davy thought they were good enough after their AI win in 2013 that they didn't need him. Davy is happy to have Podge now even though he is still playing football.

How's the panel shaping up these days? Anybody heard of any new additions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kildarecat

Was away on holidays any know where can I watch the match v Dublin in the semi.

kildarecat wrote: »

Not sure to be honest.

• Advertisement

It was on Sky Sports iirc so that limits the possibility unless you have a sub(and they have a replay service, I'm not even sure tbh).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I don't think you'll find the full match anywhere to be honest.

It was live on Sky Sports. I've had a look on the Sky Go website but couldn't find anything.

The Sunday Game from the day after the match isn't on RTE Player anymore.

There are highlights on TG4, approx 10 minutes in length. Starts at 14 minutes in the video. Link.

It was live on Sky Sports. I've had a look on the Sky Go website but couldn't find anything.

There are highlights on TG4, approx 10 minutes in length. Starts at 14 minutes in the video. Link.

It might pop up on you tube in a while it's not up yet....I haven't heard of anyone being called into the panel jackie and richie should be available I don't know how shane or james maher are progressing,whats the story with joe lyng is it a cruciate injury?ive heard differant stories,training is open to the public wednesday it will only be a light puck around but might give us a small insight into how the injured party are.

Just watched it there - JJ has a funny style of striking off his left side.

Where did you watch it?john joe looks awkward but he works tirelessly.Power or kelly are probably more natural hurlers but wouldn't have the workrate of farrell

• Advertisement

brookville wrote: »

Where did you watch it?john joe looks awkward but he works tirelessly.Power or kelly are probably more natural hurlers but wouldn't have the workrate of farrell

Dastardly00 posted a link to TG4's highlights of game.
    First time I saw it but the 2 pts he gets are on left side and it's not a natural swing but the white flag goes up.
    He took his goal well.

Also noticed Mick Fennelly puts in a brilliant block on 15yds from his own goal in the 2nd half.

When you watch a game, that you've been at, on tv, a whole lot seems to pass you by...well me anyway!!

Yeah, JJ should start next week again I'd say after that performance. Last year Ger, this year JJ!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

He has a very agricultural swing on his left alright, but they all count! It's not pretty stuff but I wouldn't be complaining if he was motm in the ai final.

No public viewing of training on Wed evening now.

They are repairing the pitch after concert!!!

Conor cooney has won his appeal and will be available for galway along with david burke who's injury isn't as serious as initially feared,Cooneys red looked very soft so correct desicion imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Expect the team to be:
    Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy
    Joey Holden
    Shane Prendergast
    Padraig Walsh
    Kieran Joyce
    Cillian Buckley
    Conor Fogarty
    Michael Fennelly
    Walter Walsh
    Richie Hogan
    TJ Reid
    JonJo Farrell
    Colin Fennelly
    Eoin Larkin
    Three changes from last year with Shane Prendergast, Michael Fennelly and Jonjo Farrell replacing Jackie Tyrrell, John Power and Ger Aylward. Overall, you would say that we seem to be in similar form to last year

blackcard wrote: »
    Expect the team to be:
    Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy
    Joey Holden
    Shane Prendergast
    Padraig Walsh
    Kieran Joyce
    Cillian Buckley
    Conor Fogarty
    Michael Fennelly
    Walter Walsh
    Richie Hogan
    TJ Reid
    JonJo Farrell
    Colin Fennelly
    Eoin Larkin
    Three changes from last year with Shane Prendergast, Michael Fennelly and Jonjo Farrell replacing Jackie Tyrrell, John Power and Ger Aylward. Overall, you would say that we seem to be in similar form to last year

I wouldn't be suprised to see lennon corner back although I'd be fearfull if mannion or flynn were giving plenty of ball.Galway look better on paper this year with mannion and smyth on the bench and conor cooney back.

blackcard wrote: »
    Expect the team to be:
    Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy
    Joey Holden
    Shane Prendergast
    Padraig Walsh
    Kieran Joyce
    Cillian Buckley
    Conor Fogarty
    Michael Fennelly
    Walter Walsh
    Richie Hogan
    TJ Reid
    JonJo Farrell
    Colin Fennelly
    Eoin Larkin

I wouldn't be suprised to see lennon corner back although I'd be fearfull if mannion or flynn were giving plenty of ball.Galway look better on paper this year with mannion and smyth on the bench and conor cooney back.

Bit obvious i know but it depends what Galway turns up. Added pressure on them this year after Cunningham's 'departure'.

You'd think they would play Canning on the edge of the square and put Holden under pressure from the off.

Will the top deck be open?

Bit obvious i know but it depends what Galway turns up. Added pressure on them this year after Cunningham's 'departure'.

You'd think they would play Canning on the edge of the square and put Holden under pressure from the off.

Never remember it open before as the LF only seems to attract circa 30k so it's not needed.

That's part of the problem with Leinster grounds, the game could be a sell out in a packed ground but Tullamore and Portlaois are about 5000-7000 shy of what's needed to host the final.
    Either of those grounds would see people turned away so the alternative is a 1/4 to 1/3 full HQ.

Guess it helps the players get more game time in HQ which isn't a bad thing.

Top deck won't be open probaly only 30,000 at it.Joey done well last year on joe twice but it looks like his struggling especially since the clare match and his probaly seen as our weak link but I'm sure we'll probaly target hanbury although daithi burke could be full back with david burke at six

• Advertisement

Top deck won't be open probaly only 30,000 at it.Joey done well last year on joe twice but it looks like his struggling especially since the clare match and his probaly seen as our weak link but I'm sure we'll probaly target hanbury although daithi burke could be full back with david burke at six

They'll target Joey from the get go alright. Hopefully Conor and Mick can drop back and seal the middle 'D' to stop any goal chances from runners coming through.

You think Lester will not coming into the reckoning as a defensive midfielder?

Up top, Galway will have their hands full. Wonder will Richie Hogan start? Wslter and TJ are good in air and Larks will be well up to speed now. He's well used to Croke Park.

Hopefully JJ will settle well early on and get an early score. Workrate will be key again and our forwards will work their socks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

No public viewing of training on Wed evening now.

They are repairing the pitch after concert!!!

There's a big mound of sods outside NP. Maybe they're ripping it up in training!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Never remember it open before as the LF only seems to attract circa 30k so it's not needed.

That's part of the problem with Leinster grounds, the game could be a sell out in a packed ground but Tullamore and Portlaois are about 5000-7000 shy of what's needed to host the final.
    Either of those grounds would see people turned away so the alternative is a 1/4 to 1/3 full HQ.

Guess it helps the players get more game time in HQ which isn't a bad thing.

Nowlan park would be ideal!

Team named tomorrow evening after training i presume.

Any word on Richie Hogan?

The team will probably be unchanged from the win over dublin and richie and jackie should make the match day squad

The team will probably be unchanged from the win over dublin and richie and jackie should make the match day squad

Yeah, if Richie especially, is not right, i wouldn't start him. Jackie, i'd say will be gunning for a place. I can't see him committing for another year and then sitting back at training. His experience will be vital for the panel from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

The theory of Joe in full forward to test Holden is all well and good if we could manage to isolate them one on one and get plenty of ball into him (like what happened the day he ate Jackie alive in the 2012 Leinster Final) but there's just zero chance of Kilkenny letting this happen. Ye'll do what ye always do of pulling every line back the field about 10 or 15 yards and just totally congesting the space around the D which means Joe will likely have two if not 3 for company on any ball coming in around there.

This isn't a critisicism or anything, it's a perfectly logical tactic but it could potentially mean that Joe is kept out of the game if we keep him in there for too long.

Now don't get me wrong, I expect Joe to be in there at certain stages and if he gets a proper ball while he's in there then Holden won't be able to stop him but I think Joe has been brilliant this year operating in the half forward line and I think that's where we'll see him for most of Sunday.

Also I saw someone suggesting Daithi Burke would play at 3 with David at 6. This won't happen, Daithi will stay at 6 all day I'd be fairly sure, he's going very well there this year.

Should be an interesting game but realistically ye beat us twice relatively comfortably last year and it's hard to see how we'd have made up enough since to be able to beat ye Sunday.

We'll have to start as always by meeting the challenge physically which I think we will but I just fancy ye're forwards to be able to pick off enough scores to win and ye're middle 8 to totally choke the life out of the game and ye'll win it by 4 or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭blue note

The theory of Joe in full forward to test Holden is all well and good if we could manage to isolate them one on one and get plenty of ball into him (like what happened the day he ate Jackie alive in the 2012 Leinster Final) but there's just zero chance of Kilkenny letting this happen. Ye'll do what ye always do of pulling every line back the field about 10 or 15 yards and just totally congesting the space around the D which means Joe will likely have two if not 3 for company on any ball coming in around there.

This isn't a critisicism or anything, it's a perfectly logical tactic but it could potentially mean that Joe is kept out of the game if we keep him in there for too long.

Now don't get me wrong, I expect Joe to be in there at certain stages and if he gets a proper ball while he's in there then Holden won't be able to stop him but I think Joe has been brilliant this year operating in the half forward line and I think that's where we'll see him for most of Sunday.

I don't think it's fair to call it a tactic. I think it's more workrate / instinct / hunger and desire / willingness to help each other out. But not any of those dirty tactics that other counties use.

But you're absolutely right - Kilkenny won't leave their full back on his own as they did against Clare in the league. They'll have bodies back in defence. I think you're better off with Joe out around the half forward line. I think he'll just get swallowed up inside, whereas from the 65 he can score points and his delivery into the full forward line is about the best on the team.

He obviously never watched KK when the half back line was Brian Tommy and JJ. Never took a step backwards but destroyed every other team on the front foot. I think also that Buckley and Padraig play a great forceful attacking game, from time to time even scoring as much as many forwards do.

KK manifestly do not play every line 10 or 15 yards back. That would be suicide for any team and would give every opposition carte blanche to attack. Lazy comments like these can safely be ignored for the nonsense they are. Teams do pack their defence with extra players but that is a different tactic and pretty futile if results are taken into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

blue note wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to call it a tactic. I think it's more workrate / instinct / hunger and desire / willingness to help each other out. But not any of those dirty tactics that other counties use.

But you're absolutely right - Kilkenny won't leave their full back on his own as they did against Clare in the league. They'll have bodies back in defence. I think you're better off with Joe out around the half forward line. I think he'll just get swallowed up inside, whereas from the 65 he can score points and his delivery into the full forward line is about the best on the team.

Ah look it is a tactic, it's a tactic that needs savage work rate to implement because these guys need to get back up the pitch from these defensive positions and to get scores but it's a tactic nonetheless. I know the story goes around that Kilkenny "don't do tactics" but I think any serious hurling follower knows this to be bull. They put as much into tactics as any other team.

But ya we are agreed on Joe alright, he's doing his best work this year further out the field where there's a bit more space so he can pick off points and deliver in quality ball. Now I still expect him to spend parts of the game at 14, and if he can get a quality ball or 2 while he's in there then the umpire will be reaching for the green flag but it's too easy when he's in there for 10 minutes to go by without a ball going near him and we just can't afford that.

Ah look it is a tactic, it's a tactic that needs savage work rate to implement because these guys need to get back up the pitch from these defensive positions and to get scores but it's a tactic nonetheless. I know the story goes around that Kilkenny "don't do tactics" but I think any serious hurling follower knows this to be bull. They put as much into tactics as any other team.

But ya we are agreed on Joe alright, he's doing his best work this year further out the field where there's a bit more space so he can pick off points and deliver in quality ball. Now I still expect him to spend parts of the game at 14, and if he can get a quality ball or 2 while he's in there then the umpire will be reaching for the green flag but it's too easy when he's in there for 10 minutes to go by without a ball going near him and we just can't afford that.

No, Kilkenny go 15 on 15, man to man real hurling. No extra defenders or midfielders in Kilkenny, just hungry instinctual hurlers. If at times they have just a couple of lads left in the other half of the field that's just how the game developed. Under absolutely no circumstances is this some sort of planned system or tactic to close out a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Pretty poor trolling blue note, although it does appear that galwaylad took the bait :D

danganabu wrote: »
    Pretty poor trolling blue note, although it does appear that galwaylad took the bait :D

Not trolling to be honest, more just sarcastic. Unrealtime seems to believe that Kilkenny don't bring extra men back. He mustn't have watched last year's all Ireland final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

danganabu wrote: »

Yeah surprised at blue note tbh, the whole Kilkenny and tactics thing has been done to death at this stage.

Kilkenny are there for the taking this weekend, an unsettled full back line and an unproven forward line and bench. If Cody can get a winning performance, it will be some achievement

• Advertisement

When KK PLAY 14 Back in their own half to counter Galways only possible scorer, then tactics will win out and the game will end scoreless, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil v Gal
    E Murphy
    P Murphy J Holden R Lennon
    P Walsh K Joyce C Buckley
    C Fogarty M Fennelly
    W Walsh TJ Reid L Ryan
    JJ Farrell C Fennelly E Larkin
    Subs.
    R Reid
    J Tyrrell
    D Cody
    C oShea
    R Hogan
    C Martin
    J Power
    L Blanchfield
    K Kelly
    M Bergin
    M Malone

Kil v Gal
    E Murphy
    P Murphy J Holden R Lennon
    P Walsh K Joyce C Buckley
    C Fogarty M Fennelly
    W Walsh TJ Reid L Ryan
    JJ Farrell C Fennelly E Larkin
    Subs.
    R Reid
    J Tyrrell
    D Cody
    C oShea
    R Hogan
    C Martin
    J Power
    L Blanchfield
    K Kelly
    M Bergin
    M Malone

No suprises with the team but what's going on with chris bolger does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Agree.baffles me how he is not in the subs.is he injured?

No suprises with the team but what's going on with chris bolger does anyone know?

From what I hear, he is not a "Cody" type player yet

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement