Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

blackcard wrote: »
    brookville wrote: »
    No suprises with the team but what's going on with chris bolger does anyone know?

From what I hear, he is not a "Cody" type player yet

As in workrate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Wouldn't say no surprises, Lester Ryan in the forwards is unusual. He's been solid enough so far this year though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Is Shane Prendergast injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Lester played wing foward and corner foward against dublin and at the moment his probaly the best of the rest.shane prendergast is out with a hamstring injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

As in workrate?

Not putting as much in during training

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I know its not nice to single out players but from what i heard its more attitude than hurling ability that his in and out of the panel.ive no doubt he has more to offer than a couple of lads on the panel but its obvious his not putting it into training.he'll have to learn from this and come back stronger

brookville wrote: »
    I know its not nice to single out players but from what i heard its more attitude than hurling ability that his in and out of the panel.ive no doubt he has more to offer than a couple of lads on the panel but its obvious his not putting it into training.he'll have to learn from this and come back stronger

He did well when introduced V Clare in League semi-final. I thought he's push on from that as he obviously has the talent.

Wally has come on very well this year and it's hard to see us doing without him now - nearly first man down on the teamsheet nowadays.

Glad Lester is in also. Gives us a bit of defensive cover. In league games, as a forward, he chipped in with a few scores. Let's hope that continues tomorrow.

JJ will hopefully be on form in Croke Park and get an early score to settle the nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

I have 2 very good tickets for sale for the game tomorrow. They are in sec 307. €50 for the two of them.

Please PM me if you're interested.

Mick Fennelly will put them all in their box...if needs be!

Some interesting stats from the Irish Independent:
    As he takes his term at the helm through an 18th season, 11 of Kilkenny's rivals in that period have had a total of 88 managers.

Here's how Kilkenny's rivals have been managed since 1999:

10 Limerick - E Cregan, D Keane, PJ Whelahan, J McKenna, R Bennis, J McCarthy, D O'Grady, J Allen, TJ Ryan/D O'Grady, TJ Ryan.

10 Laois - P Horan, S Cuddy, P Delaney, P Butler, D Cahill, D Fox, N Rigney, B Fennelly, T McCarthy, S Plunkett.

9 Cork - J Barry-Murphy (two terms 1996-2000; 2012-15), T Cashman, B óg Murphy, D O'Grady, J Allen, G McCarthy, K Kingston, J Considine *, D Walsh. * Interim manager, March 2009.

9 Offaly - M Bond, P Fleury, Fr T Fogarty, M McNamara, J McIntyre, J Dooley, O Baker, B Whelahan, E Kelly.

9 Antrim - S Elliot, S McNaughton, D Cahill (two separate stints), J McKernan, S McNaughton, J Wallis, J Nelson (interim, summer 2012), K Ryan, PJ O'Mullan.

8 Tipperary - N English, M Doyle, K Hogan, B Keating, L Sheedy, D Ryan, E O'Shea, M Ryan.

7 Clare - G Loughnane, C Lyons, A Daly, T Considine, M McNamara, G O'Loughlin, D Fitzgerald.

7 Dublin - M O'Grady, K Fennelly, M Morris, H Kelleher, T Naughton, A Daly, G Cunningham.

7 Wexford - J Kelly, T Dempsey, J Conran, S Murphy, J Meyler, C Bonnar, L Dunne.

7 Galway - M Murphy, N Lane, C Hayes, G Loughnane, J McIntyre, A Cunningham, M Donoghue.

5 Waterford - G McCarthy, J McCarthy, D Fitzgerald, M Ryan, D McGrath.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/kilkenny-1-others-88-cody-faces-new-test-on-familiar-stage-34850846.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Never really worried today. Galway hurled well in the first half but we left scores behind us and I knew we'd finish strong. We're just better than them and that was always going to tell in the end.

Credit to Joey as I've been critical of him this year but today he was solid as a rock.

Fogarty immense again and the difference maker when the game was there to be won. MOTM for me.

Richie back looking like Richie after a poor league is great to see.

And as someone who has slaughtered Jonjo as not being good enough for the last however many years I'm delighted to be wrong. His touch down the sideline under the Hogan Stand in the 2nd half was magic and his movement is a nightmare for a corner back.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Brilliant how this squad of players refuse to lie down.brillant second half by all.but Richie hogan was pure class.hes like Messi with a hurl.anyone see the bollocking he gave to tj for not putting him in.as I have said many times we're blessed as supporter's watching this team.

Great second half performance. Sitting in Applegreen now. Herrity was saying on the Marty Squad Show on the radio that block/hook count was double to the Cats - 34/17 (if true) which is always going to win any match.

Didn't hurl well in first half but never let Galway out of sight. Mannion was giving us a lot of trouble. We were in same position at half time as last year's All Ireland Final.

I thought Mick Fennelly roared into it in second half aided by Fogarty, Lester, and the half back line. In 2nd half, with Richie and John Power there, the scores came.

Richie was unreal, a real magician with s hurl and i was impressed with Power. He showed well and worked hard. I'd be critical of him on here at times but he was excellent today. He knew he couldn't get to a high ball in but he was aware of Richie around him and he just directed it to him with a nice flick. Richie popped it over. Great awareness by Power.

Defence never really looked liked conceding any goals and Lennon took a wild bat of the hurl to the head but recovered. Joey was excellent beside him and Paul Murphy is...well Paul Murphy.

All in all, a good day but with stuff to work on.

Forgot to mention JJ...1-5 and 1-4 in 2 games. An excellent return and a real handful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭thelostboys23

Great 2nd half performance. Drichie hogan was really chomping at the bit when he came on.

Really annoys me the way people say galway didnt turn up for the 2nd half and kk upped the intensity etc.

Galway cameout and put it up to kk in the 1st half and their hooking, blocking and work rate were excellent. This takes a toll on a team and it showed in thethe last period especially when galway were pretty much out on their feet.

KK I think seem to be able to absorb whatever is thrown at them in the 1st half and be within touching distance and the key thing here then is they make the relevant adjusments in order to get on top in the 2nd half of games, we see this time and time again in games over the last number of years and no team does it better. It really is a testament to Cody.
    KKs tactics (yes tactics they clearly use them as every sports team does) have a huge bearing on games and Codys greatest trick has been to convince everyone that he doesnt do tactics.

Thought today Conor Fogarty was excellent and Michael Fennelly really drove them on in the second half and the midfield really got on top.

The backs wasted some ball in the second half but overall were pretty good but there's still some shaky moments as all three of the galway full forward line of mannion, whelan and cooney had plenty of joy and took some good scores.

The forwards weren't in it for the 1st half and cody made two changes which made a massive difference. Some of the scores taken were of great quality and jonjo has his place nailed on for the year now.

Conor Fogarty motm for me and on to next week now and see what the munster final produces.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Yes.alot to work on.larkins form a concern and Colin fennelly fitness.traininf will be intense with the likes of jackie trying to make a statement.thought Lennon really grew into the game second half.also great to see Jon jobs back up the dublin game.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Yes.alot to work on.larkins form a concern and Colin fennelly fitness.traininf will be intense with the likes of jackie trying to make a statement.thought Lennon really grew into the game second half.also great to see Jon jobs back up the dublin game.

According to radio..Colin Fennelly had tightness in hamstring at end of first half.

Buckley and Walsh hit a mountain of ball. Joyce and Mick Fennelly came strong in the second half but Conor Fogarty was mom. Still a lot of concerns as the forwards were out of it totally in the first half and we were lucky to be only three points down at half time. Unbelievable contribution from Richie Hogan considering his preparation. Interesting to see who will start in the forwards the next day. Tbh I don't see Lester Ryan as a forward, worked hard today but not a lot went right for him. Eoin Larkin is going to have to work hard to win a place

Buckley and Walsh hit a mountain of ball. Joyce and Mick Fennelly came strong in the second half but Conor Fogarty was mom. Still a lot of concerns as the forwards were out of it totally in the first half and we were lucky to be only three points down at half time. Unbelievable contribution from Richie Hogan considering his preparation. Interesting to see who will start in the forwards the next day. Tbh I don't see Lester Ryan as a forward, worked hard today but not a lot went right for him. Eoin Larkin is going to have to work hard to win a place

Lester could have had a goal in first half but shot straight at keeper. That was at a crucial time. He puts in a serious amount of work during a game. Need to see game again on tv.

Is it on anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭kk.man

Great win by a great team today. Put alot of doubters to bed journalists and pundits alike.
    A point I've been itching to make, some of our greatest players have left the scene (DJ, Sheflin, Tommy, JJ etc) but one constant remains that is, Cody. Not taking anything from the current players but as long as the boss stays Kilkenny will dominate Hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Was very happy to come out of croker with victory as i have to admit I was very worried at half time as we were completely out hurled. Galway worked very hard in the 1st half and just swarmed out any space for the KK forwards. Hogan showed great leadership and he just completely unsettled the Galway full back line. Heres how i saw it.....

Murphy-Decision making was 100% spot on. Made great save second half and pucks were good. Never does anything too flashy but just does the basics so well and and in my opinion the best keeper in the country(League semi was just a bad day at the office).

Murphy-Although Galway full forward line got a good few scores alot of them were from mistakes further out the field.I thought Murphy was brilliant and I really think when this lad finishes up we will be talking about him in the same breathe and JJ and Tommy

Holden- Big improvement and getting closer to last years forms. At times i feel he rises the ball a bit too high which makes it easy for the opposition to dispossess him but thought he was excellent in second half.

Lennon-Struggled with with the fast ball into open spaces early on where you just see why he has played almost all his hurling at full back. But still he did some very good things and showed good willingness to take the short puckouts with out panicking when Murphy over hit one to him in the second half. Well deserved of his place

Walsh-Won his battle and used the ball effectively

Joyce-Was good and has really made the No.6 jersey his own

Buckley-great goal saving clearance and thought he linked up well with Lennon. Has been brilliant the last two games and hopefully this puts a stop to the nonsense of playing him midfield. He the best half back in the country so lets just leave him there

Fennelly- The man is a freak of nature!what a hurler

Fogarty-Delighted to finally see him get the credit and praise he deserves from outside kilkenny.The role he plays in this KK team is invaluable

Wally- Bringing some good consistency to his game and becoming a key player for kk

TJ- Alot better in second half but im hoping he just saving himself for the big days outs in croker cos dont think KK will win AI this year if him and Hogan not on song. He obviously getting greater attention from defences as team realise his importance to the kk team but luckily for us on the last two days others player stood up in his place. Not overly worried cos his class will eventually prevail

Lester- Worked his socks off but will be dissapointed not to have taken goal chance.In my opinion he needs to be fitted into our starting 15 somewhere

Jonjo-Have to say I was one of the ones who doubted him and you really have to give credit to wheres its due. He has been immense and another good performance in semi final and you would imagine All Star in the bag. I think he more suited to corner forward than full forward as the runs he makes are brilliant to drag the corner back out of position to create space. I have admit im delighted to be proven wrong as he was always a work horse that gave 100% but has now added some clinical finishing to his game

Colin F- Had a hamstring injury going into the game so that restricted his effectiveness

Larkin- His Touch just let him down and he just couldnt get into the game. Will need to impress in training the next few weeks but either way you can write him off at your peril......

Power-Done well and took his point well.Did some very good tracking back and tackling too. He a confidence based player and apparently had been gong very well in training of late so hopefully he can keep it going now.

Hogan-Pure joy to watch.I didnt see the Sunday Game but I thought he was my MOM. Although he only played for 35mins he had the biggest influence on the final result and I say that without wanting to take anything away from Fogarty. Showed great urgency and drive. By his own very high standards he had a subdued league campaign and maybe just needed a rest of which the injury allowed him to get but in the end form is temporary and class is permanent!!

Was very happy to come out of croker with victory as i have to admit I was very worried at half time as we were completely out hurled. Galway worked very hard in the 1st half and just swarmed out any space for the KK forwards. Hogan showed great leadership and he just completely unsettled the Galway full back line. Heres how i saw it.....

Murphy-Decision making was 100% spot on. Made great save second half and pucks were good. Never does anything too flashy but just does the basics so well and and in my opinion the best keeper in the country(League semi was just a bad day at the office).

Murphy-Although Galway full forward line got a good few scores alot of them were from mistakes further out the field.I thought Murphy was brilliant and I really think when this lad finishes up we will be talking about him in the same breathe as JJ and Tommy

Holden- Big improvement and getting closer to last years forms. At times i feel he rises the ball a bit too high which makes it easy for the opposition to dispossess him but thought he was excellent in second half.

Lennon-Struggled with with the fast ball into open spaces early on where you just see why he has played almost all his hurling at full back. But still he did some very good things and showed good willingness to take the short puckouts with out panicking when Murphy over hit one to him in the second half. Well deserved of his place

Walsh-Won his battle and used the ball effectively

Joyce-Was good and has really made the No.6 jersey his own

Buckley-great goal saving clearance and thought he linked up well with Lennon. Has been brilliant the last two games and hopefully this puts a stop to the nonsense of playing him midfield. He the best half back in the country so lets just leave him there

Fennelly- The man is a freak of nature!what a hurler

Fogarty-Delighted to finally see him get the credit and praise he deserves from outside kilkenny.The role he plays in this KK team is invaluable

Wally- Bringing some good consistency to his game and becoming a key player for kk

TJ- Alot better in second half but im hoping he just saving himself for the big days outs in croker cos dont think KK will win AI this year if him and Hogan not on song. He obviously getting greater attention from defences as team realise his importance to the kk team but luckily for us on the last two days others player stood up in his place. Not overly worried cos his class will eventually prevail

Lester- Worked his socks off but will be dissapointed not to have taken goal chance.In my opinion he needs to be fitted into our starting 15 somewhere

Jonjo-Have to say I was one of the ones who doubted him and you really have to give credit to wheres its due. He has been immense and another good performance in semi final and you would imagine All Star in the bag. I think he more suited to corner forward than full forward as the runs he makes are brilliant to drag the corner back out of position to create space. I have admit im delighted to be proven wrong as he was always a work horse that gave 100% but has now added some clinical finishing to his game

Colin F- Had a hamstring injury going into the game so that restricted his effectiveness

Larkin- His Touch just let him down and he just couldnt get into the game. Will need to impress in training the next few weeks but either way you can write him off at your peril......

Power-Done well and took his point well.Did some very good tracking back and tackling too. He a confidence based player and apparently had been gong very well in training of late so hopefully he can keep it going now.

Hogan-Pure joy to watch.I didnt see the Sunday Game but I thought he was my MOM. Although he only played for 35mins he had the biggest influence on the final result and I say that without wanting to take anything away from Fogarty. Showed great urgency and drive. By his own very high standards he had a subdued league campaign and maybe just needed a rest of which the injury allowed him to get but in the end form is temporary and class is permanent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Johnjo's on fire your defence is terrified.......

Round 2 Qualifier's Draw:

Cork V Wexford

Clare V Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Don't know how good we are but I suspect Galway are quite useless and won't progress any further in qualifiers if they get a Munster team.

Never ever doubted Jonjo - I always thought he was a very hard opponent to mark and impossible to keep quite for a game. I suspect he will find it hard to keep up the very high scoring rate he has now set for himself though.

Conor was definitively MOTM but Joyce was really good too and deserves more credit too for his performances. Where now is the younger brother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭MfMan

unrealtime wrote: »
    Don't know how good we are but I suspect Galway are quite useless and won't progress any further in qualifiers if they get a Munster team.

Never ever doubted Jonjo - I always thought he was a very hard opponent to mark and impossible to keep quite for a game. I suspect he will find it hard to keep up the very high scoring rate he has now set for himself though.

Conor was definitively MOTM but Joyce was really good too and deserves more credit too for his performances. Where now is the younger brother?

For a team that maybe quite useless, they rattled Cody enough to replace Larkin and Fennelly at ht. The FF that started scored 10 from play, so what's a better team going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Great to come away with the win yesterday, there were times during the match when I didn't think it would happen.

There are a few areas where we need improvement but no doubt Cody will already be formulating a plan to improve on yesterday's performance.

Richie Hogan coming on after half time made all the difference, what a player!

Larkin had a poor game yesterday but after being away for so long he's probably just a bit rusty.

Just had a guy in work say that Galway were robbed and that some young lad came on for Kilkenny and ran riot. Made my morning to tell him he was referring to Richie Hogan, former hurler of the year :D

unrealtime wrote: »
    Don't know how good we are but I suspect Galway are quite useless

If Galway are 'useless' then that doesn't say much about the KK team. Silly comment to be honest :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

If Galway are 'useless' then that doesn't say much about the KK team. Silly comment to be honest :confused:

they are not useless, just gutless. Who are they going to blame now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Don't see how anyone could've been overly concerned at half time. Whelan and Mannion were doing damage but that was purely from outside. They never once broke inside us in the first half and that's the concern with us. No team will beat us with points alone. If they were running riot in the forwards it would've been one thing but they weren't and they were clinical with their chances. We're a 2nd half team and that's where we win games. We hit some wides and missed 2 proper goal chances in the first half. We should've been in front at half time and we had more gears to go through. We're comfortably better than them. That doesn't mean they're useless.

They're also not gutless. They bring a lot of physicality to the game to try rough us up which just isn't possible. It takes a lot out of a team and our fitness levels are insane. Look at Lester chasing down 2 Galway defenders at the end of the game with no hurl. They just couldn't last the 70 and had nothing in the tank left for the last 10.

• Advertisement

Don't see how anyone could've been overly concerned at half time. Whelan and Mannion were doing damage but that was purely from outside. They never once broke inside us in the first half and that's the concern with us. No team will beat us with points alone. If they were running riot in the forwards it would've been one thing but they weren't and they were clinical with their chances. We're a 2nd half team and that's where we win games. We hit some wides and missed 2 proper goal chances in the first half. We should've been in front at half time and we had more gears to go through. We're comfortably better than them. That doesn't mean they're useless.

They're also not gutless. They bring a lot of physicality to the game to try rough us up which just isn't possible. It takes a lot out of a team and our fitness levels are insane. Look at Lester chasing down 2 Galway defenders at the end of the game with no hurl. They just couldn't last the 70 and had nothing in the tank left for the last 10.

I was def worried at half time but not because our full back line had conceded a few scored but worried because our forward line was going so poorly. Cody made two changes at half time in the forwards but the reality is they were going so bad that other than Jonjo and Wally aside, Cody could easily have taken off any of the other 4 forwards. I was shocked at how ineffective Canning was and just shows the difference but if he played like that for kk there would have been no way he would have finished the game!

they are not useless, just gutless. Who are they going to blame now?

They're not gutless, they never stopped trying or thrown in the towel, same as every day. No disgrace in being outclassed. Yesterday's result doesn't vindicate Cunningham in any way, shape or form; he blew winning positions v KK with the best of them. Sympathy for Cunningham is in a lot shorter supply within the county than out.

For all their domination in first half, Galway never created a decent goal chance. They had a half chance from a tight angle but Lennon got a flick to it to put it out for a 65.

Kilkenny's movement in 2nd half was excellent, especially Farrell. He can create space for himself and others.

I think Galway made the mistake in 2nd half on going to their men instead on lining out in their places. They should have kept 3 and 6 at 3 and 6 at start of the second half instead of going to their men when Kilkenny switched it.

Cats have Holden at 3 and Joyce at 6 regardless of what happens to where the other defenders go.

For all their domination in first half, Galway never created a decent goal chance. They had a half chance from a tight angle but Lennon got a flick to it to put it out for a 65.

Kilkenny's movement in 2nd half was excellent, especially Farrell. He can create space for himself and others.

I think Galway made the mistake in 2nd half on going to their men instead on lining out in their places. They should have kept 3 and 6 at 3 and 6 at start of the second half instead of going to their men when Kilkenny switched it.

Cats have Holden at 3 and Joyce at 6 regardless of what happens to where the other defenders go.

Agree with that. For me Hanbury is there for the taking each time. He very dogged and tackles hard but he not a very natural looking hurler at all and someone like Hogan with his skill will always get some good scoring chances marking hanbury. Coen for me has gone backwards in the last few years and always hits some loose clearances.I'd say we must have scored about 5/6 points yesterday that came from Galway defenders hitting straight to a free kk man which must drive the Galway supporters mental as that really is basic hurling skills that isnt acceptable at any level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

MfMan wrote: »
    For a team that maybe quite useless, they rattled Cody enough to replace Larkin and Fennelly at ht. The FF that started scored 10 from play, so what's a better team going to do?

Were Canning playing for KK he would also have taken him off. JC has been reduced to cameos against KK at this stage. For his own and Galway's sake, he needs a spell on the bench to rekindle the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

If Galway were robbed it was of some half-decent hurlers! Seriously if Canning is the marquee player they are in serious trouble. When you have to bring on Fergal Moore, Andy Smith and Cyril Donnellan, then the cupboard is definitely bare.

citykat wrote: »
    Were Canning playing for KK he would also have taken him off. JC has been reduced to cameos against KK at this stage. For his own and Galway's sake, he needs a spell on the bench to rekindle the fire.

Didn't take TJ off at ht tho'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

What about Paul Murphy's performance yesterday??, thought he was absolutely flawless again, his covering, hooking and blocking...he can deal with it any way you throw it at him, attacks the ball with vigour on the ground and brilliant in the air.

His positional sense and reading of the game has improved with experience and he's always available to his goalkeeper or colleagues for a pass to get them out of trouble.

He was hardly mentioned when it came to Motm which shows he has reached a level of consistency now to the point where we expect this level of performance from him in every game... brilliant player for us.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    What about Paul Murphy's performance yesterday??, thought he was absolutely flawless again, his covering, hooking and blocking...he can deal with it any way you throw it at him, attacks the ball with vigour on the ground and brilliant in the air.

His positional sense and reading of the game has improved with experience and he's always available to his goalkeeper or colleagues for a pass to get them out of trouble.

He was hardly mentioned when it came to Motm which shows he has reached a level of consistency now to the point where we expect this level of performance from him in every game... brilliant player for us.

Totally agree. He caught a couple of great fetches in the first half. Going backwards when he knew he was going to get clattered by Canning in the meat in the sandwich with Holden in behind. He kept his eye on ball all the time.

He does attack the back with some authority alright and his distribution is good also. He is great at sweeping also.

Reason he was not mentioned as man of the match is Galway scored 7 or 8pts from play from the full forward line. Everything they hit in the first half went over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Totally agree. He caught a couple of great fetches in the first half. Going backwards when he knew he was going to get clattered by Canning in the meat in the sandwich with Holden in behind. He kept his eye on ball all the time.

He does attack the back with some authority alright and his distribution is good also. He is great at sweeping also.

Reason he was not mentioned as man of the match is Galway scored 7 or 8pts from play from the full forward line. Everything they hit in the first half went over.
    Not arguing with Fogarty's selection for Motm btw, he was excellent all day. But do you really think Murphy wasn't a candidate???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Sadly for him, JC wouldn't lace TJs boots at this stage in his career. Yesterday, was as good an example as you'd get. When KK needed him in the second half, TJ stood up. When Galway needed him, JC was nowhere to be found.

Cody has to take a lot of the credit for our performances over the last two years. People have argued that up to then, he was lucky enough to have some of the finest hurlers of this generation. However Henry, Tommy, JJ, Noel, Richie, Eddie etc are gone and we have had no success at U21 level since 2008 and he is still able to produce competitive teams and keep them hungry for success. I think there is no doubt that Galway would have won a number of AI if he was managing them.

Charlie69 wrote: »

Not arguing with Fogarty's selection for Motm btw, he was excellent all day. But do you really think Murphy wasn't a candidate???

I thought Murphy was magic. He attacked him and i was watching him (i was in 332 Hogan) when ball wasn't near him and his covering is super. Great reader of a game.

He was the exact same V Dublin in semi-final...aggresively attacks the ball. In regards to man of the match for me, he was a contender but it'll always, more often than not go to a forward. I though that Richie wasn't far away with 5pts in 35 mins. He had a great influence in the second half.

Most important think is that it's a team game and different players will have different influences in different games. That's the KK mantra!

Sadly for him, JC wouldn't lace TJs boots at this stage in his career. Yesterday, was as good an example as you'd get. When KK needed him in the second half, TJ stood up. When Galway needed him, JC was nowhere to be found.

Example of this was when he wasn't having a great game in open play through the game but when the Cats needed him in the 2nd half, he stuck his paw up in a ruck and caught a great ball and was fouled. He tapped over the free.

As you say, when he was needed he done his bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Am i right in saying that in the event of Cork and Tipp being in the quarter finals that they can't meet again and same for Clare/waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭blue note

Cody has to take a lot of the credit for our performances over the last two years. People have argued that up to then, he was lucky enough to have some of the finest hurlers of this generation. However Henry, Tommy, JJ, Noel, Richie, Eddie etc are gone and we have had no success at U21 level since 2008 and he is still able to produce competitive teams and keep them hungry for success. I think there is no doubt that Galway would have won a number of AI if he was managing them.

Cody was extremely lucky with the crop he got - the best collection of players I've seen. He was also lucky with the quality of Leinster - some years they had one or two tough games. And the players were extremely lucky with Cody - the best manager I've seen.

I think his genius is more obvious now that the team isn't as strong and Leinster is that bit stronger. Not that any sane person would doubt it anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

minty81 wrote: »
    Am i right in saying that in the event of Cork and Tipp being in the quarter finals that they can't meet again and same for Clare/waterford?

Seems to be the case alright (Unless Cork, Limerick are both in the quarter finals as Tipp have played both):
    All Ireland Quarter- Finals

The defeated Provincial Finalists in Munster
    and Leinster shall play against the two Winning
    Teams of Round 2 on a Knock-Out Format. The
    defeated Munster Finalists shall play a Round 2
    Winner and the defeated Leinster Finalists shall
    play a Round 2 Winner

Subject to avoidance of Repeat Pairings, where
    feasible, a Draw shall be made to determine the
    Pairings

Nonsense. Joe Canning is an exceptionally talented player. Who can forget the goal he scored against kk last year. Dj Carey had a number of quiet games for us but you couldn't question his commitment either

Ah you're talking nonsense there citykat. Sure TJ is playing at a level above Canning for the last couple of seasons.... but to say that he wouldn't lace TJ's boots is just ridiculous. He is still an extremely good hurler.

You're either over-exaggerating to get your point across, or else you don't have the ability to appreciate hurlers who are not from our county.

• Advertisement

Never really worried today. Galway hurled well in the first half but we left scores behind us and I knew we'd finish strong. We're just better than them and that was always going to tell in the end.

Credit to Joey as I've been critical of him this year but today he was solid as a rock.

Fogarty immense again and the difference maker when the game was there to be won. MOTM for me.

Richie back looking like Richie after a poor league is great to see.

And as someone who has slaughtered Jonjo as not being good enough for the last however many years I'm delighted to be wrong. His touch down the sideline under the Hogan Stand in the 2nd half was magic and his movement is a nightmare for a corner back.

Fogarty had a Mick Fennelly (at his peak) type performance yesterday, high praise indeed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement