Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Are KK playing on Sun 7th August? I have arranged to stay in Dublin that night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yep. Definitely August 7th. See the link in my previous post.

Yep. Definitely August 7th. See the link in my previous post.

#thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

At long last a team has finally figured it out!! It's only taken 17 years but last Sunday I believe we saw Tipperary play the Kilkenny way. They had huge work rate, skill, hunger and supported each other to a massive degree. I thought they were going ok this year but that display (not taking about the scoreline) for me has confirmed them as our biggest (only) rival.

What Cody does is not rocket science but people seem to think that he's not telling the whole truth when he talks about what makes Kilkenny keep on winning. These are things I think that he brings to the team
    1. Spirit
    2. Drop you like a hot spud
    3. Internship
    4. Training
    5. Rules
    6. Conditioning
    These are the things that Cody has brought to the Kilkenny set up that I think has made us truly exceptional team over the last decade and a half. He didn't come to it with all this in place and has learned on the job and was definitely lucky in his early years to have a great bunch of players and a patient County Board. Since 2005 loss to Galway however I believe the 6 points are what has made it all tick for us.

1. Spirit - Cody and a lot of the recently retired players always refer to spirit and what I've gleaned from interviews and conversations with a few of the lads is this. They all buy into the same goals (win everything possible) and all realise that they can only do that by working together 100% and helping each other out when a lad is struggling you don't just stand and watch you go and get stuck in and help. I know everyone doesn't believe Kilkenny don't discuss tactics and I genuinely believe they don't but they work very hard for each other and if that means that the half back line needs help then the midfield drop back etc. They definitely do come up with a individual game plan to negate or attack certain opposition players but do they use that every day and it becomes a tactic, no. Maybe you call individual game plans a tactic, I don't. I call the way Waterford and Clare play a tactic.

2. Drop you like a hot spud- Cody started this really with Charlie Carter and McEvoy he wasn't going to let anyone who wasn't living up to the standard get in his way. If your not 100% committed mentally Cody is not interested so your gone. That does not mean your always gone though Cody will bring lads back in if they are working hard enough and showing form look at Mark Bergin this year.

3. Internship- Cody uses dropping lads to test their mental toughness. Cody always says he trusts the lads on the field to deal with whats in front of them. The reason he can do that is that he often gives a young lad a chance and if he fails on any day it will probably be 1,2,3 years before he gets another go. If a lad has the mental toughness to hang around in training and keep putting in 100% after getting dropped and keeps striving to improve Cody knows he can throw him in to the white heat of Championship if need be. All you have to do is look at the stories of Brian Hogan and Ger Aylward two I can think of off the top of my head. Both had poor championship debuts seasons or games neither played again for a few years but seized the opportunity when it arose. Cody is looking for guys to mature mentally as much as anything else and lads who can fight if things go against them. So unlike Waterford last Sunday when the approach you know doesn't work our lads don't fold they fight on, think for themselves and find a way to make it work for them.

4. Training- Their still mythical "What goes on in Nowlan Park is better than some Championship matches" "Cody only blows the whistle twice, once to start and once to finish". I used to go and watch almost every training session from 07 to 12 when they closed the door and some games in training were epic and Cody doesn't whistle, lads can be punching each other on the ground and as long as there are lads still hurling Cody doesn't care follow the play. What really goes on in these sessions is that lads are absolutely hurling out of their skins because Cody does reward those on form in training so a lad knows if he busts a gut in training he can force he's way on to the team and the team sheet is not 100% picked every week. Just look at Eddie Brennan making the AI team in 2011 he had a shocking year but for the 3 weeks up to the final he was destroying lads, he then went on to have a crucial role in R Hogans decisive goal. Now in fairness Cody doesn't often make huge changes to the starting 15 but it's actually rare for the same 15 to take the field 2 days in a row. As a result those who have been playing have to hurl at 100% to keep their place and those trying to get in keep giving it everything they have because they know that it will happen. This makes for incredibly tough and intense training sessions. This is why, when teams come out at us like Galway and Dublin did so far this year we can take it for the 1st half and maintain that intensity or even up it as our lads have played that way in training every night for years at that stage.

5. Rules- I was talking to a journalist who told me he once asked Cody "what kind of rules do you have in place to keep the lads in line and how does you deal with it when they don't keep to the rules?" He's answer was very simple "We don't have rules their all adults, if you don't have rules you don't have to have punishments" Thats not to say that if you go wild every night you'll stay on the Kilkenny panel we all saw what happened John Mulhall after a hard night on John St. For Cody it's very simple your an adult you know what level you have to be at to play for the team and if you want to go out drinking all the time and still get to that level thats up to you but your gonna be some rare lad in fairness.

6. Conditioning- Bringing in and keeping Michael Dempsey is definitely one of Cody's biggest achievements. He's an unhearlded hero of this set up, the levels he gets the lads too is just incredible. In fairness to him he's taken it very seriously and gone off and gotten professional qualifications and is now head of Sports Science in Carlow IT. Instead of going on the team holiday Dempsey often uses the time to go and spend it researching some of the best sports set ups around the world. He's been to observe New Zealand rugby teams, Jamaican athletics team, Cuban boxers and many more I can't remember. A friend was in Killarney last year, the week after our defeat of Wexford and he got talking to Cian O'Neill the Kerry strength and conditioning coach (Now Kildare Football manager) and the man lauded for having Tipp in peak condition for the 2010 AI. He was wondering how Mick Dempsey does it he said he'd never seen a whole team so finely conditioned in all his life. Being this fit, strong and agile has given Kilkenny a great advantage over their opponents particularly in the last 20 mins of games being just 1/2% better at this level can give you a edge over the opposition.

Bring all those together and you get a fantastic output of incredibly tough players both mentally and physically in perfect condition who will absolutely do everything they can for each other on the field. Oh I forgot they're fairly skillful as well but they and they're clubs nurtured that not Cody he's only exploiting it.

How do you beat that? I believe it's a long road but you have to match Kilkenny in all those departments and create better stronger and tougher hurlers than you have now and then you can beat Kilkenny tactics might beat us occasionally but only once, injuries will deplete us at times, The long road will wear us done as it did in 2013 but winning is a drug and it's far easier and more attractive to want to be part of winning set up than a set up ships regular beatings.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Sorry but I am not convinced about the merit of Tipps performance the last day. they got a total of 24 scores whereas we get 27 against Galway. Also Waterford scored almost as many wides in the first half as they did get scores in the whole game. Waterford should have been ahead at half time and then whither Tipp. Frankly I saw little difference in Tipps performance to what they have being doing since 2009.

unrealtime Sorry but I am not convinced about the merit of Tipps performance the last day. they got a total of 24 scores whereas we get 27 against Galway. Also Waterford scored almost as many wides in the first half as they did get scores in the whole game. Waterford should have been ahead at half time and then whither Tipp. Frankly I saw little difference in Tipps performance to what they have being doing since 2009.

That's fair enough and I'm not saying their at our level yet but there was definitely more drive in them than before. When it comes down to a close game with ten to go and the pressure is applied I can still see them buckling but it was more there attitude which was new for me. They still have not developed enough mental toughness to handle Kilkenny at their peak. Admittedly Waterford were shocking and completely fell apart in the second half after the 3 goal but I still think Tipp laid that foundation through hard graft in the first half and like us can reap the benefits in the second half.

In fairness they beat a harmless Limerick team and a flat footed disorganised Waterford team. TBH I see Galway beating Clare easily unless Clare can find a huge performance from somewhere, and I firmly believe they can take Tipp again in a semi final if Tipp aren't absolutely humming which they have struggled to do with the 5 week break.

It was as good a performance as we've seen so far and as I said I'm not even talking about the scoreline because Waterford gave up for the last 20mins but it was their hard work that allowed them to crush Waterford in that way. Could we have beaten Waterford by much more last Sunday? Maybe by a point or two that we might have got in the first half.

Waterford will always have loads of scoring opportunities with the way they play their system but in reality much more than a 50% score rate is a bonus for them as their shooting from so far out, in condition like Sunday it's always going to be amplified with that wind and rain and when you have no plan B and players that aren't used to being allowed to play in a different way it was never going to end pretty. I predicted Tipp by 10+ on Friday night with friends in fairness I never saw that capitulation coming though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

unrealtime wrote: »
    Sorry but I am not convinced about the merit of Tipps performance the last day. they got a total of 24 scores whereas we get 27 against Galway. Also Waterford scored almost as many wides in the first half as they did get scores in the whole game. Waterford should have been ahead at half time and then whither Tipp. Frankly I saw little difference in Tipps performance to what they have being doing since 2009.

Being a bit selective with your stats there! Galway who you have already decreed as useless scored 22 times, Waterford scored 13 times. Besides conditions were so different any such comparison is completely futile.

Waterford should have been ahead at half time according to you, fact is Galway were ahead at half time.

Tipp had 7 players 22 or younger playing and their oldest outfield player is 28, and were missing Bubbles. There is plenty different about this Tipp team, yes there will be far bigger tests ahead and no-one is getting carried away but the evidence is there whether you choose to see it or not.

The Kilkenny intermediate team to play Wexford tonight @7.30 in Wexford is:
    Kevin Nolan (Clara);
    Evan Cody (Dicksboro), Tom Aylward (Mullinavat), Luke Hickey (James Stephens);
    Jason Cleere (Bennettsbridge), Conor Delaney (Erin’s Own), Jack McGrath (James Stephens);
    Jack Langton (Clara), Shane Murphy (Glenmore);
    Conor Tobin (Fenians), Mark Bergin (O’Loughlin Gaels), Nicky Cleere (Bennettsbridge);
    Sean Morrissey (Bennettsbridge), Billy Ryan (Graigue-Ballycallan), John Walsh (Mullinavat).
    Subs: Aaron Duggan (Dicksboro),
    Enda Malone (Dicksboro),
    Jeff Brennan (St Patrick’s),
    Luke Harney (Kilmacow),
    Richie Leahy (Rower-Inistioge),
    Shane Donnelly (St Lachtain’s),
    Liam Ryan (Clara),
    Paul O’Flynn (Dicksboro),
    Rory Hickey (Lisdowney)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

When did we change our Intermediate selection policy? Lot of senior clubs represented there

Actually by my count only the 3 Bridge lads, Murphy and Ryan from the starting 15 would be eligible under our normal rules

• Advertisement

Really good team and great to see so many possible seniors playing. Wish them the best

When did we change our Intermediate selection policy? Lot of senior clubs represented there

Actually by my count only the 3 Bridge lads, Murphy and Ryan from the starting 15 would be eligible under our normal rules

Tipp, KK and Cork were the last three that only picked from non-senior clubs, Tipp changed their policy a few years back after shipping some heavy beatings and a genuine lack of any interest in the competition - owing mostly to the fact that the County Board had allowed the redicilous situation develop where we had 30 plus senior teams!

I think KK followed suit last year but not certain, all counties now seem to select the spine of their team from the U21's complimented with those identified as fringe senior panel players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

danganabu wrote: »
    Tipp, KK and Cork were the last three that only picked from non-senior clubs, Tipp changed their policy a few years back after shipping some heavy beatings and a genuine lack of any interest in the competition - owing mostly to the fact that the County Board had allowed the redicilous situation develop where we had 30 plus senior teams!

I think KK followed suit last year but not certain, all counties now seem to select the spine of their team from the U21's complimented with those identified as fringe senior panel players.

I remember when tip made the switch, it was relatively big news, but this is the first I've heard of Kilkenny following suit. Couple of the players there are neither young nor knocking on the door of the senior team. Not sure I'm a fan of the move, we did very well in this competition even using the old eligibility rules.

I remember when tip made the switch, it was relatively big news, but this is the first I've heard of Kilkenny following suit. Couple of the players there are neither young nor knocking on the door of the senior team. Not sure I'm a fan of the move, we did very well in this competition even using the old eligibility rules.

Surprised by that as otherwise what's the point really?

Michael Ryan was consulted and pretty much told the Intermediate Panel who he wanted in the Intermediate panel as a stepping stone to the Senior Panel, Aidan McCormack who came on Sunday was on the Intermediate team for their two matches.

Kevin Nolan (Clara) solid Keeper don't know how much of chance he has of making it senior
    Evan Cody (Dicksboro) On the training panel and hurling well a definite prospective Senior talent
    Tom Aylward (Mullinavat) Was the captain and best of his U21 team a few years should get a go.
    Luke Hickey (James Stephens) don't know him to be honest
    Jason Cleere (Bennettsbridge) an exceptional hurler and definitely will play for the Senior if he keeps it up also on the senior training panel.
    Conor Delaney (Erin’s Own) On the training panel and definitly has lots of potential
    Jack McGrath (James Stephens) saw him play for the Village recently and he wasn't bad at all but would need to improve a lot to be considered for the Seniors
    Jack Langton (Clara) always a good strong club hurler who if he applied himself could possibly force his way into the senior set up
    Shane Murphy (Glenmore) a very good young talent again needs more time could be one for the future
    Conor Tobin (Fenians) no spring chicken but is big and strong and hurling very well for the club, often with little support.
    Mark Bergin (O’Loughlin Gaels) has reapplied himself and is on the senior training and match day panel
    Nicky Cleere (Bennettsbridge) not amazing from open play but lethal on frees
    Sean Morrissey (Bennettsbridge) very good talent and could easily be hurling senior in a few years, on the training panel
    Billy Ryan (Graigue-Ballycallan) a very good player underage and wouldn't be surprised if he goes very well.
    John Walsh (Mullinavat) minor hatrick hero of a few years ago and a few months ago for the club against the Shamrocks i think he's on the training panel as well definite prospect
    Subs:
    Aaron Duggan (Dicksboro) poor under high ball but exceptional shot stopper former minor and U21 keeper for the county
    Enda Malone (Dicksboro) a great talent who lost his way for a few years going very strong for the club this year skinned Bubbles O'Dwyer a few years ago in Fitzgibbon
    Jeff Brennan (St Patrick’s) always solid sometimes special
    Luke Harney (Kilmacow) has been in with the seniors like Brennan before
    Richie Leahy (Rower-Inistioge) fabulous minor last year or the year before should definitely progress
    Shane Donnelly (St Lachtain’s) don't know
    Liam Ryan (Clara) always a handful fast and aggressive sometimes to much, good for a few scores has been in with selection squads early season for the seniors a few times
    Paul O’Flynn (Dicksboro) almost as old as myself but still faster than 99% of lads out there, not consistent enough for me and makes silly handling errors but when on song he's unmarkable
    Rory Hickey (Lisdowney) don't know

Overall given what's around there isn't a whole let else I'd put in there. Lots of U21s went to the States on J1s and other very good prospects are injured or just a bit young yet.

Intermediate KK win by 3 lucky enough. Richie Leahy great sub.

• Advertisement

KK 3 14 to 2 14 lucky enough. Richie Leahy great sub

Any of these lads get a call up to the senior panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Any of these lads get a call up to the senior panel?[/quote

At least this panel is made up of lads under the age of 24.kilkenny must of had 15 wides last night so this certainly didnt help their chances.Geoff brennan and richie leahy probaly changed the match because we were struggling midway through the 2nd half but the backs got on top with conor delaney and cleere very good.John walsh and billy ryan both done well

Any of these lads get a call up to the senior panel?
    From what I know
    Cody, Cleere, Delaney, Bergin and Morrissey have all been called into training this year and a few of those last year also like Cody and Delaney, Bergin has been in there before also. Not sure about any others.

Richie Leahy and John Walsh will definitely be knocking on that door after last night if they haven't already been called in from how it sounded on KCLR.

Any word on Shane P and James M these days? Hopefully Richie H will be fit to start the semi-final on 7th August?

• Advertisement

Any word on Shane P and James M these days? Hopefully Richie H will be fit to start the semi-final on 7th August?

Shane and Richie both got through a club match last weekend which is great news.Jimmy maher didnt tog out for lactains so he must be a bit away.The team will probaly go away for a night next week once the opposition is known.

brookville wrote: »

Shane and Richie both got through a club match last weekend which is great news.Jimmy maher didnt tog out for lactains so he must be a bit away.The team will probaly go away for a night next week once the opposition is known.

Grand job. So we'll nearly be at full strength. Better competition for places also. Just wait now and see what the draw brings up. I thought John Power done well when he came on although he always seems to do well as an 'impact sub'.

John Power is indeed an enigma. He has everything or all the attributes needed to be a giant of the game but does not seem focussed enough to perform to the best of his ability. Pity he does not focus like his father did and he'd be a legend already.

Nevertheless he does have good impact value.

James Maher will be fit for the semi final according to the man himself. Doubt he'll play any part though

James Maher will be fit for the semi final according to the man himself. Doubt he'll play any part though

Hopefully himself and chris bolger make the 24 for the semi.two very good young players.

Hopefully himself and chris bolger make the 24 for the semi.two very good young players.

Should be competition for places now you'd think, if injuries are healing up and 3 weeks to go!

Draw made for Leinster Club Hurling Championship - bit early to be thinking of it but Kilkenny Senior club champions will play Wexford or Offaly, on 20th November, in the semi-final.

In the Intermediate, the Kilkenny champions will play the winners of Meath or Wexford on 19/20th of November.

While in the Leinster Junior championship, the Kilkenny winners will play the winners of Louth or Longford in the quater finals on the 5/6th of November.

Best option is to win the county first!!!!

#thenextgameisthemostimportant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

minty81 wrote: »
    Any word on Buckleys injury?

Should be OK for the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Hoping for hurling sake wexford and galway win on Sunday. Especially hope waterford fail as their system is terrible on the eye.mcgrath has tweaked nothing from last year.the whole system is based on being ahead.direct ball into a 2 or 3 inside line over the sweeper sees it exposed.would be good to have 4 traditional counties in the semi's.

• Advertisement

Let's be honest - you want those teams in the semi-final because Wexford is an easier draw for us as well. That's why I want those teams to win. It's not that I fear Clare or Waterford because I definitely don't but we'd annihilate Wexford.

Let's be honest - you want those teams in the semi-final because Wexford is an easier draw for us as well. That's why I want those teams to win. It's not that I fear Clare or Waterford because I definitely don't but we'd annihilate Wexford.

Personally I would not prefer us to have a handy semi final. Apart from the fact that it leaves us open to an ambush from tipp, the championship has been a complete bore, we play few enough matches that matter in a year as it is, without having the few genuinely exciting ones turned into cakewalks as well. Not that I'd prefer to lose the semi final, but the senior championship is a damp squib so far, and looks like it will remain so, for a second year in a row. Regardless of who wins, we need some excitement from these quarter finals. The hurling public, and the general public, have lost interest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Personally I would not prefer us to have a handy semi final. Apart from the fact that it leaves us open to an ambush from tipp, the championship has been a complete bore, we play few enough matches that matter in a year as it is, without having the few genuinely exciting ones turned into cakewalks as well. Not that I'd prefer to lose the semi final, but the senior championship is a damp squib so far, and looks like it will remain so, for a second year in a row. Regardless of who wins, we need some excitement from these quarter finals. The hurling public, and the general public, have lost interest.

Agree, I'd like to see us play Clare, but the only way that will happen is if Clare and Wexford both win and even then only a 50% chance we get Clare.

Most likely outcome is KK v Waterford again.

Jj I want wexford and galway to win for hurling sake .nothing to do with getting a handy semi final . actually found myself rooting for tipp v waterford (again for the same reasons )people are voting with their feet.will be interesting to see how many go tomorrow. We follow kilkenny and want them to win.but as hurling people it was good to watch other teams in a quarter final and enjoy the game (not any more)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Jj I want wexford and galway to win for hurling sake .nothing to do with getting a handy semi final . actually found myself rooting for tipp v waterford (again for the same reasons )people are voting with their feet.will be interesting to see how many go tomorrow. We follow kilkenny and want them to win.but as hurling people it was good to watch other teams in a quarter final and enjoy the game (not any more)

You talk some ****e

IanVW wrote: »
    You talk some ****e

No.just say what I think.1 good game last year maybe 2 (us v galway leinster final)not 1 good game this year.sweeper and system managers are killing the game.clare and waterford managers afraid to let their players hurl.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

No.just say what I think.1 good game last year maybe 2 (us v galway leinster final)not 1 good game this year.sweeper and system managers are killing the game.clare and waterford managers afraid to let their players hurl.

Management are entitled to play whatever way they want i doubt the care about crap you come out with in every post you make

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

I know a lot of Kilkenny people, including myself, who were hoping that Tipperary would win because of their style of play.It was the first time I ever hoped Tipp would win. It is a bit like Celtic hoping Rangers would win. I just don't want to see hurling as we know it destroyed. If that means Tipp winning the AI, so be it.

IanVW wrote: »
    Management are entitled to play whatever way they want i doubt the care about crap you come out with in every post you make

Management can play whatever way they like.but facts are people have stopped watching that's a fact .at least supporting kilkenny we don't have to watch our team playing by numbers

• Advertisement

I could not care less who we meet - of course as long as Tipp are bet!.

We have nothing to fear from anyone and we have walloped them all for almost two decades. Long may it continue.

Doesn't matter who we play in semi-final - out of our control really but I understand that hurling has been poor this past few years outwith a few cracking games.

Really hard to know what to do about the sweeper/defensive system. It's endemic in club hurling all over the country and how it will change, i don't know.

I suppose a lot of people will hope Wexford will beat Waterford tomorrow and Galway will beat Clare but whoever wins will be probably justified in saying that their style is working.

Hoping for hurling sake wexford and galway win on Sunday. Especially hope waterford fail as their system is terrible on the eye..

Don't Wexford use a sweeper as well?

2 things after today:

1 - I'll be very disappointed if we somehow lose to this Waterford team. Incredible talent there but not a brain between the lot of them. Should be a replica of last year - a tight game with them shooting from everywhere while under pressure and Murphy x2 cleaning up the loose ball.

2 - If one of Joyce, Fogarty or Fennelly don't break Gleeson in half during one of those runs up the middle I'll be gutted. He's obviously quality and it's hard for anyone to keep into him hence why he keeps doing it but **** me someone just ****ing level him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

2 - If one of Joyce, Fogarty or Fennelly don't break Gleeson in half during one of those runs up the middle I'll be gutted. He's obviously quality and it's hard for anyone to keep into him hence why he keeps doing it but **** me someone just ****ing level him.

Your a classy guy looking for someone to crease an amateur sportsman in that way . Is it OK with you if someone creases TJ because he is a quality player

Contact sport lad. If someone is marauding straight down the middle of my defence I want my centre back meeting him head on and letting him know he's not welcome. Would I expect the player to get a card? Absolutely and it would be completely deserved. I still want him to take it. Not asking him to break his hand or his leg or go head high, a simple shoulder to the chest will suffice

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Contact sport lad. If someone is marauding straight down the middle of my defence I want my centre back meeting him head on and letting him know he's not welcome. Would I expect the player to get a card? Absolutely and it would be completely deserved. I still want him to take it. Not asking him to break his hand or his leg or go head high, a simple shoulder to the chest will suffice

I doubt Joyce, Fennelly or Fogarty would lower themselves to your level of thinking.

You honestly think an intercounty defender isn't thinking - I'm going to level him if he runs through the middle?
    2009 - Jackie Tyrell on Seamus Callanan - that's what I want.

But you're right... the thought would never cross their mind....

No win situation for waterford they done what they had to do the only thing is the high number of wides and no goal threat continues.wexford are a limited enough side but they fought hard...any word in our injuries?will shane pender get back at number 4?hogan should be fit to start but instead of who?lester has being hurling well enough and colin was carrying a injury the last day,hopefully larkin gets up to speed....fair play to galway today I think the criticism they got after playing us was unfair

No win situation for waterford they done what they had to do the only thing is the high number of wides and no goal threat continues.wexford are a limited enough side but they fought hard...any word in our injuries?will shane pender get back at number 4?hogan should be fit to start but instead of who?lester has being hurling well enough and colin was carrying a injury the last day,hopefully larkin gets up to speed....fair play to galway today I think the criticism they got after playing us was unfair

Galway were well up for it today. Deserved their win but there was a big game in them esp. after all the criticism. They used it to spur them on. The question is whether they'll be up for it V Tiiperary. I suppose it all depends how Tipp handle the 6 weeks layoff.

It's the same semi-finals as last year but i don't think the quality is any better. Waterford will have the hunger but they'll need goals which they seem to befinding hard to get.

Hopefully all the injuries will have cleared up and all of the lads will be ready for action.

Would hate to see a Kilkenny player deliberately striking another player with intent i.e. to go out with that in mind.

I believe that Galway have it in them to beat Tipp and are in no way inferior to Tipp. Tipp are more than somewhat untried and Galway are true and tested now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement