Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Galway were well up for it today. Deserved their win but there was a big game in them esp. after all the criticism. They used it to spur them on. The question is whether they'll be up for it V Tiiperary. I suppose it all depends how Tipp handle the 6 weeks layoff.

It's the same semi-finals as last year but i don't think the quality is any better. Waterford will have the hunger but they'll need goals which they seem to befinding hard to get.

Hopefully all the injuries will have cleared up and all of the lads will be ready for action.
    All the injuries have cleared up and everyone has a clean bill of health as far as I know. Unless we pick up any on raining this week we should have a full squad to pick from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

All the injuries have cleared up and everyone has a clean bill of health as far as I know. Unless we pick up any on raining this week we should have a full squad to pick from.

Is james maher back training?

brookville wrote: »
    Is james maher back training?

I don't know tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Darragh Joyce away to St. Kilda - Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Good luck to him. Super opportunity

JJ Delaney doing a Bord Gais Legend's Tour of Croke Park on Saturday week, 6th August, the day before the semi-final. He 'takes' the audience on a tour around Croke Park. What a legend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Contact sport lad. If someone is marauding straight down the middle of my defence I want my centre back meeting him head on and letting him know he's not welcome. Would I expect the player to get a card? Absolutely and it would be completely deserved. I still want him to take it. Not asking him to break his hand or his leg or go head high, a simple shoulder to the chest will suffice

You probably stood up and applauded Gerry Quinn in 2004 did you? Contact sport etc.

The way Gleeson is built today is different to the way he was built last year. Kilkenny can throw what they want at him, he'll break fellas up himself. Hope he does it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Motivator wrote: »
    You probably stood up and applauded Gerry Quinn in 2004 did you? Contact sport etc.

The way Gleeson is built today is different to the way he was built last year. Kilkenny can throw what they want at him, he'll break fellas up himself. Hope he does it now.

How is what you said any better?

Anyway if he thinks he can "break up" Joyce, best of luck to him giving it a shot. Are they allowed go beyond the opposition 45 though? Or does the system forbid it?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

What Quinn incident? The GAA investigated it thoroughly at the time and the report concludes that nothing happened. Of course the problem for me is that I was there and saw him digging his Hurley twice into Sheffs face. But if the GAA officially concluded that it never happened I have to be blind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Anyone know why we don't have more 7s competitions? Was in Lisdowney yesterday for the U13s and it's a brilliant competition. No idea why that's the only competition of it's type in the county. Personally think it should be done at all age groups. You only need a couple of weekends to run it off

• Advertisement

I see training is open on Wednesday and Friday night in Nowlan Park. Not every team would do this!!

If, as expected, everyone is fit, does anybody think that there will be any chances to the team or will the management go with the same team again?

It only seems like a few months since last year's semi-final V Waterford - how time flies by!!

unrealtime wrote: »
    What Quinn incident? The GAA investigated it thoroughly at the time and the report concludes that nothing happened. Of course the problem for me is that I was there and saw him digging his Hurley twice into Sheffs face. But if the GAA officially concluded that it never happened I have to be blind!

It's a man's game & the GAA concluded that nothing happened yet you have the teachers pet Shefflin still crying about it all these years later.

It's a man's game & the GAA concluded that nothing happened yet you have the teachers pet Shefflin still crying about it all these years later.

You're some hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

What would big Dan say of he was poked in the eye?? Front page of the mirror or the daily mail I reckon.

Topcat32 wrote: »
    What would big Dan say of he was poked in the eye?? Front page of the mirror or the daily mail I reckon.

Have a look at some of the treatment Dan, Mullane & a few more Waterford lads got down the years. Never once a word said about it & that's a fact. They got on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Jumping fist pump followed by a badge kiss.

Have a look at some of the treatment Dan, Mullane & a few more Waterford lads got down the years. Never once a word said about it & that's a fact. They got on with it.

They don't make em like they used to so they don't.

What?? Apart from trying to kill Brian Murphy??

What?? Apart from trying to kill Brian Murphy??

Murphy went looking for it & he got it. They shook hands after the match & did so for every league & championship game for years after. Did you ever see Murphy crying to the newspapers about that incident? No, he moved on & isn't crying about it 12 years later.

• Advertisement

Murphy went looking for it & he got it. They shook hands after the match & did so for every league & championship game for years after. Did you ever see Murphy crying to the newspapers about that incident? No, he moved on & isn't crying about it 12 years later.

Why do I get the feeling we'll be listening to this obvious baiting right up until the semi final and then not a word out of you again after? We've had your ilk on this thread in the past.

Mainly because who would actually print what he says?? Still Dan wears a baseball cap pretty well

Mainly because who would actually print what he says?? Still Dan wears a baseball cap pretty well

Well I would say the same about Shefflin, who cares what he has to say? When he actively goes & brings it up in the media it's hard to get away from it. Pretty sure it was last year the "incident" was in three different newspapers - the "incident" happened in a different decade & the man is retired. Who gives a toss what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Provided there are no injuries, it would seem there are only two two selection issues for next Sunday. Who plays left corner back and who makes way for Richie Hogan? Shane Prendergast, Jackie Tyrrell or Robert Lennon? Eoin Larkin or Lester Ryan? For me, Lennon and Larkin to start

Who gives a toss what happened?

Your the one who keeps posting about it, why don't you tell us ffs?

blackcard wrote: »
    Provided there are no injuries, it would seem there are only two two selection issues for next Sunday. Who plays left corner back and who makes way for Richie Hogan? Shane Prendergast, Jackie Tyrrell or Robert Lennon? Eoin Larkin or Lester Ryan? For me, Lennon and Larkin to start

Yeah I'd agree. Ryan works hard and had had a decent year so it's a tough decision though. Wouldn't be surprised to see Larkin on the bench either.

• Advertisement

Your the one who keeps posting about it, why don't you tell us ffs?

If you care to refer back to my original post on this thread you'll see why I brought it up. I was responding to a cowardly post by a gombeen saying hurling is a man's game. I simply pointed out that the wonderful Henry didn't take ever things like a man.

Yeah I'd agree. Ryan works hard and had had a decent year so it's a tough decision though. Wouldn't be surprised to see Larkin on the bench either.

I have great time for Lester Ryan. Nobody tries harder than him. However, I think Eoin is more likely to score or contribute to a score

Larkin has not let us down prior to this season. He deserves to start I think ahead of Lester but I would play Colin Fennelly first leaving John Power on the team.

Funny i watched last years All Ireland Final again yesterday. I thought Colin should have come off early in the 2nd half as things just weren't working out for him but he did ok in the 2nd half of the 2nd half.

At least now, there's competition for places in comparsion with earlier on in the season when injuries were taking it's toll. I think John Power does well as an 'impact sub'.

Re: corner back. It'll not really matter as it'll be 3 against 2 with Paul Murphy playing the free man i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Lester would stay in for me with larks dropping out for Richie. At the back Lennon has improved with every game.but personally would love to see jackie play at cooker 1 more time.

• Advertisement

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Lester would stay in for me with larks dropping out for Richie. At the back Lennon has improved with every game.but personally would love to see jackie play at cooker 1 more time.

Still waiting on Larks to catch fire this year but in saying that, he is usually spot on for a couple of points. Bit more of a natural forward than Lester but who knows what team BC will pick.

Lester is hard worker who can chip in with a score or 2 (V Cork under the lights) but i think V Waterford, we'll need a more creative forward like Larkin. Waterford will probably play 5 up top so we should be ok for 'defensive' cover with Mick and Conor dropping back to seal the middle.

Waterford, in my opinion, will need goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Deise2016

Lads I have three spare tickets for Sunday that I bought for family that are now unable to attend.

The three seats are together in Section 302 of the Cusack stand. They are quite far back in the stand so will be covered from the rain for anyone fearing a repeat of the Munster Final rain.

I'm looking to get the tickets off my hands so will sell at a reduced price.

Tickets cost 40 euro each so I'd sell for 30 each or thereabouts or possibly cheaper if I was selling to genuine hurling people.

If interested send me a PM.

I would not be surprised if John Power started instead of Eoin Larkin/Lester Ryan. I was impressed by his workrate when he came on the last day. Overall, I wouldn't be at all confident about beating Waterford, I think we will find it hard to put up a decent score and we are struggling to score goals. If Waterford improve their accuracy, it could be a tough day for KK

Once we win I don't care by how many.got to consign this puke hurling to the dustbin.if they win it will justify the means and Davy and clare will plod on with it next year too.if they come man on man I will say well done and wish them well

Hard to know how game will go. I can't see Derek McGrath radically changing the Waterford system inside a few weeks. Last year, T.J. got the goal in first half and we kept in front.

My big worry would be if Waterford are ahead at half time, can we replicate the '15mins burst' straight after half time. We can't be depending on it in big games especially after being dominated in the first half. We need to start hard and heavy from the first whistle and push on in the first half.

System is too risky as it depends on scoring from out the field - not easy, while the opposition backs have an easy time hitting copious ball into a traditional six forwards set-up. System seems basically flawed and defeatist.

With waterfords system you mustn't fall behind by more than a couple. If you do they will drop more and more back to prevent goals.getting ahead and forcing them to change throws them into disarray. McGrath has changed nothing from last year.hes hoping the system will prevail.for hurlings sake I hope he fails.

I think ye should win this one handy on Sunday. The system was found out and Derek had no plan B. Derek is then claiming that they conceded more when they went 15 on 15?? :confused: When exactly did this happen? I was looking right at the Waterford forward lines in the second half and at no point whatsoever was there any more than 4 forwards beyond the Tipp forty and this is when Tipp had knocked 3 goals past them. The system is based on a fear of a hammering.

Id imagine Cody has lost no sleep whatsover but will throw his usual caution to the wind and his troops will blow Waterford away. I have nothing against the Waterford team or Waterford people or the very gentlemanly Derek Mcgrath but this whole style of play (if you would even associate the word style with it) is completely against Waterfords nature. Would John Mullane become a star in such a regime? He'd be lucky to get a ball. The best system is the one Kilkenny have perfected - hard work, movement and intensity, and its a system that Mick Ryan is trying to implement in Tipp.

I think ye should win this one handy on Sunday. The system was found out and Derek had no plan B. Derek is then claiming that they conceded more when they went 15 on 15?? :confused: When exactly did this happen? I was looking right at the Waterford forward lines in the second half and at no point whatsoever was there any more than 4 forwards beyond the Tipp forty and this is when Tipp had knocked 3 goals past them. The system is based on a fear of a hammering.

Id imagine Cody has lost no sleep whatsover but will throw his usual caution to the wind and his troops will blow Waterford away. I have nothing against the Waterford team or Waterford people or the very gentlemanly Derek Mcgrath but this whole style of play (if you would even associate the word style with it) is completely against Waterfords nature. Would John Mullane become a star in such a regime? He'd be lucky to get a ball. The best system is the one Kilkenny have perfected - hard work, movement and intensity, and its a system that Mick Ryan is trying to implement in Tipp.
    Much and all as I hate agreeing with a Tipp man:D about anything I think everyone including real hurling people in Waterford will agree with most of the above. Although to be honest I doubt they will be as flat as they were against ye and the game will be a tighter more boring affair.

We should win in the end if they play the sweeper and we turn up utterly focused on winning. If we're not at the races they could easily beat us and that would be the saddest day for hurling in a long time because then this would take hold all around the country. Personally I would be actually nervous and worried if the Waterford seniors played the same way as their U21s then they could truly test and possibly beat us. If they did this I would have no problem congratulating them and wishing them all the best in the AI and actually mean it. If they beat us the other way I will congratulate them and I might wish them the best in the AI but I definitely won't mean it, I would even shout for Tipp to win and AI rather than Waterford win one playing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Slates

Anyone know why we don't have more 7s competitions? Was in Lisdowney yesterday for the U13s and it's a brilliant competition. No idea why that's the only competition of it's type in the county. Personally think it should be done at all age groups. You only need a couple of weekends to run it off
    Thank you for the kind words, this finals are on this weekend 6th Aug and will be a great days hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭PáircLife

Slates wrote: »
    Thank you for the kind words, this finals are on this weekend 6th Aug and will be a great days hurling

I have been at this competition for the last 2 weekends and I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed it. The skill level of young fellas is getting higher and higher each year. From what I've seen, Urlingford are the stand-out team, and all underage again next year I believe. They play a strong Lisdowney team Saturday morning and I'd advise anyone around the area to go see it. There won't be a sweeper in sight - I hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭blue note

I really get the impression from reading this thread that under no circumstances will Waterford get any credit if we win. Or if we lose actually.

If we win it can't possibly be down to us playing well considering the system if we win so it will have to be a Kilkenny collapse. If we lose we'll never have had a chance because of the system.

I actually find this a hard game to call. Both defensive teams - people thinking goals will win it, but neither team scores many or concedes many (with the obvious exception of the Munster final). Goals will be a minimum - I think points will win this game. But no matter what, Waterford won't get any credit here if we do win.

blue note wrote: »
    I really get the impression from reading this thread that under no circumstances will Waterford get any credit if we win. Or if we lose actually.

If we win it can't possibly be down to us playing well considering the system if we win so it will have to be a Kilkenny collapse. If we lose we'll never have had a chance because of the system.

I actually find this a hard game to call. Both defensive teams - people thinking goals will win it, but neither team scores many or concedes many (with the obvious exception of the Munster final). Goals will be a minimum - I think points will win this game. But no matter what, Waterford won't get any credit here if we do win.

I can't see ye winning with that system whatever chance ye have of winning 15 against 15.

If ye win, then credit where due irregardless, but like Tipp, Kilkenny have lads who will make surging runs from the middle and the gaps will open. De Burca was completely negated the last day with Breens runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

That is funny about shanahan mullane what about the slap mullane gave the young Frisby lad from Mullinavat in a challenge match it was such a cowardly belt the chap had to have an operation after it. All shanahans book was about I believe was complaining about how he was treated on the field.

That is funny about shanahan mullane what about the slap mullane gave the young Frisby lad from Mullinavat in a challenge match it was such a cowardly belt the chap had to have an operation after it. All shanahans book was about I believe was complaining about how he was treated on the field.
    That's shocking. I don't know anybody who read that book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

To be fair to Derek, 4 forwards beyond the 45 metre line is absolute all out attack and a complete abandonment of the system!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

citykat wrote: »
    That's shocking. I don't know anybody who read that book.
    Why did you think I did.

Hard to make out all the players at training tonight as they were wearing Tipp, Galway, Clare jerseys etc. Amongst those that I could pick out were Eoin Murphy, Joey Holden, Robert Lennon, Jackie Tyrrell, Padraig Walsh, Kieran Joyce, Cillian Buckley, Conor Fogarty, Mick Fennelly, Walter Walsh, TJ Reid, Eoin Larkin, Richie Hogan, Lester Ryan, Colin Fennelly, Liam Blanchfield, John Power and I think Ger Aylward. Forgot to look for Paul Murphy and I was unable to make out JonJo Farrell or Shane Prendergast. Two sub goalies, presume one was Richie Reid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Everyone was there tonight including ger alyward,james maher and michael walsh all whom have had serious injuries...shocking news about a local sportstar who unfortunately passed away today rip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

RIP Ducksie Walsh.

A legend of Kilkenny GAA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement