Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Just saw it there, can't believe it...what a sportsman, and was as fit as a fiddle all his life. RIP and sympathies to his family. Sad day for Kilkenny Gaa

RIP Ducksie Walsh.

A legend of Kilkenny GAA

Awful news. Jeez it wasnt so long ago he was competing. Fair to say an absolute legend of the alley.

ar dheis go raibh a anam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Shock news. RIP Ducksie.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

We're Walsh awards and maher taking part on training?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Rip ducksie true legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Awful news. Jeez it wasnt so long ago he was competing. Fair to say an absolute legend of the alley.

ar dheis go raibh a anam

only won something a few weeks ago and was due to play a doubles tournament with Ciaran Neary of the Village on the 30th of July I think. Don't know if he played it in the end.

only won something a few weeks ago and was due to play a doubles tournament with Ciaran Neary of the Village on the 30th of July I think. Don't know if he played it in the end.

jeez. it is a sudden death so? :(
    Didnt see anything online about it or on twitter. Was it just this evening this happened?

some stage today I think. Very sudden from what I know but I could be wrong. Very sad - only 50 ffs. No age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Is this definite?

citykat wrote: »
    Is this definite?

Cant find anything online at the moment but Id like it to be untrue tbh. A young man with probably a young family to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Please don't speculate until confirmed true or false

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

The best of luck to our intermediate team in the all Ireland Saturday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

unrealtime wrote: »
    What Quinn incident? The GAA investigated it thoroughly at the time and the report concludes that nothing happened. Of course the problem for me is that I was there and saw him digging his Hurley twice into Sheffs face. But if the GAA officially concluded that it never happened I have to be blind!

It was very similar to eddie brennan hitting seamas hickey in the face in 2005, did you manage to spot that one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

I did and there is no simularity between them

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

It was very similar to eddie brennan hitting seamas hickey in the face in 2005, did you manage to spot that one ?

2007, no?

Arguing about stuff that happened over a decade ago.......

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Heard yesterday he was seriously ill - conflicting reports.

Please God everything o.k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

http://kclr96fm.com/kilkenny-handballer-ducksy-walsh-fighting-life-morning/

A source close to the family of Michael Ducksy Walsh has asked people to keep him in their prayers.

The Kilkenny handballing great is understood to be fighting for his life in hospital today after suffering a stroke on Saturday.

It happened as he was returning from a tournament in Kingscourt in Cavan.

He’s currently on life-support in hospital where his family and friends have been keeping vigil by his bedside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

gobo99 wrote: »
    http://kclr96fm.com/kilkenny-handballer-ducksy-walsh-fighting-life-morning/

A source close to the family of Michael Ducksy Walsh has asked people to keep him in their prayers.

The Kilkenny handballing great is understood to be fighting for his life in hospital today after suffering a stroke on Saturday.

It happened as he was returning from a tournament in Kingscourt in Cavan.

He’s currently on life-support in hospital where his family and friends have been keeping vigil by his bedside.

Jesus that's awful news. Hoping he makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

RIP Ducksie. A legend of the game and only 50 years of age :(

http://kclr96fm.com/breaking-michael-ducksie-walsh-died-hospital-afternoon/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

I've had the honour of seeing him play many's the time, and I recall trying to argue that he should have been Irish Sportsperson Of The Centuary. My argument was a little tongue-in-cheek, but it was easy to argue. RIP, Ducksie, and thank you - I'm in bits here.

Ar dheis go raibh a anam. A GAA legend :( Husband and father to three kids too i believe. tragic stuff

Here is an interview with the man himself from 2007. All the more poignant given his death.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/winning-always-right-up-his-alley-1.956237

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Shocked, a real legend. R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Sad, sad news. Grew up hearing and reading legends about his handballing exploits, an amazing man. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

I've had the honour of seeing him play many's the time, and I recall trying to argue that he should have been Irish Sportsperson Of The Centuary. My argument was a little tongue-in-cheek, but it was easy to argue. RIP, Ducksie, and thank you - I'm in bits here.
    I agree with you cant believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

RIP Ducksie Walsh - a true legend and the undisputed king of the dead butts

danganabu wrote: »
    To be fair to Derek, 4 forwards beyond the 45 metre line is absolute all out attack and a complete abandonment of the system!

4 was a complete outlier. The forwards were outnumbered at all times and nothing will change Sunday. They'll get another schooling. Im expecting the Reid and Hogan show to fully take centre stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Kilkenny Intermediate Team -v-Clare All Ireland Final 2016

1 Aaron Duggan Dicksboro
    2 Evan Cody Dicksboro
    3 Tom Alyward Mullinavat
    4 Luke Hickey James Stephens
    5 Jason Cleere Bennettsbridge
    6 Conor Delaney Erin's Own
    7 Jeoff Brennan St Patricks
    8 Jack Langton Clara
    9 Luke Scanlon James Stephens
    10 Alan Murphy Glenmore
    11 Conor Tobin Fenians
    12 Richy Leahy Rower Inistioge
    13 Billy Ryan Graige Ballycallan
    14 Nicky Cleere (Capt) Bennettsbridge
    15 John Walsh Mullinavat
    16 Kevin Nolan Clara
    17 James Gannon St Patricks
    18 Enda Malone Dicksboro
    19 Jack McGrath James Stephens
    20 Shane Murphy Glenmore
    21 Sean Morrissey Bennettsbridge
    22 Shane Donnelly St Lachtain's
    23 Mark Alyward Glenmore
    24 Willie Brenan Fenians

Extended Panel
    Shane Walsh Tullaroan
    Enda Morrissey Bennetsbridge
    Shane Doherty Glenmore
    Michael Murphy Eirn's Own
    Luke Harney Kilmacow
    Liam Ryan Clara
    James Power John Lockes
    Paul Holden Young Irelands

• Advertisement

4 was a complete outlier. The forwards were outnumbered at all times and nothing will change Sunday. They'll get another schooling. Im expecting the Reid and Hogan show to fully take centre stage

I don't think Kilkenny supporters will be talking like that. Waterford have a lot of capable hurlers, and if they hit a good day could spring a surprise.

Kilkenny will not be over confident and will be well primed for a tough and very competitive match from Waterford.

Looking forward to a fine day and good hurling from both sides. Whoever wins will need a hard match if they are to win the final against either Tipp or Galway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I don't think Kilkenny supporters will be talking like that. Waterford have a lot of capable hurlers, and if they hit a good day could spring a surprise.

Kilkenny will not be over confident and will be well primed for a tough and very competitive match from Waterford.

Looking forward to a fine day and good hurling from both sides. Whowever wins will need a hard match if they are to win the final against either Tipp or Galway.
    Thanks Mr Cody!

Thanks Mr Cody!

No bother, (little do you know) - a bad idea to talk too cocky, and Brian (or his team) does not do cocky - ever!

Chastenising experiences from the past has ingrained an awareness of not taking any game for granted.

Which of you (non-Kilkenny supporters) is Ger Loughnane?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭blue note

No bother, (little do you know) - a bad idea to talk too cocky, and Brian (or his team) does not do cocky - ever!

Chastenising experiences from the past has ingrained an awareness of not taking any game for granted.

Which of you (non-Kilkenny supporters) is Ger Loughnane?

Well! Whatever about the things Kilkenny have to worry about this weekend, it seems complacency isn't one of them! They can just rest that at the back of their mind somewhere, because complacency is something for other teams to worry about!

Looking forward to a fine day and good hurling from both sides. Whoever wins will need a hard match if they are to win the final against either Tipp or Galway.

Oh im not suggesting for one second that KK will take Waterford lightly. The secret to Kilkennys success has been the way they do their homework. Yes, Waterford have brilliant individual hurlers in Shane Bennett, Ozzie Gleeson, the Currans, Mahonys, et al....but they are playing with a tactical strait jacket. Hitting ball up to no one will suit Kilkenny the finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

[QUOTE=Justice for the individual;100575177

i don't think Kilkenny supporters will be talking like that. Waterford have a lot of capable hurlers, and if they hit a good day could spring a surprise.

[/QUOTE]

They may not be talking like that according to the party line but the very words you use like "could" spring a "surprise" says it all. Kilkenny supporters expect to win handy enough.

• Advertisement

Powerhouse wrote: »
    They may not be talking like that according to the party line but the very words you use like "could" spring a "surprise" says it all. Kilkenny supporters expect to win handy enough.

So you think Waterford winning wouldn't be a surprise? Of course it would be. It's just no reason to be complacent.

So you think Waterford winning wouldn't be a surprise?

I didn't venture an opinion either way. I just speculated that Kilkenny supporters expected to win handy enough.

I didn't venture an opinion either way. I just speculated that Kilkenny supporters expected to win handy enough.

I honestly don't think so. A reasonable assessment, to me, would be that Waterford's tactics don't lend themselves to a handy win (Tipp doing exactly that doesn't mean that KK fans would be going in expecting to do the same thing just because)

I honestly don't think so. A reasonable assessment, to me, would be that Waterford's tactics don't lend themselves to a handy win (Tipp doing exactly that doesn't mean that KK fans would be going in expecting to do the same thing just because)

Well I don't think anybody would set out expecting to win by 20 points+. That just happens. A win could be a long way from that and still be handy enough. Kilkenny beat Waterford by 6 last year and I'd consider that a handy one in that a defeat never looked remotely likely.

Well I don't think anybody would set out expecting to win by 20 points+. That just happens. A win could be a long way from that and still be handy enough. Kilkenny beat Waterford by 6 last year and I'd consider that a handy one in that a defeat never looked remotely likely.

Yeah but I don't think there's any dishonesty in the cautiousness of KK fans. It's a team everyone is dying to see beaten, and KK fans can expect lots of gloating when that happens, so I think we're wary of the fall. But to my mind losing to Waterford the way they usually set up is highly unlikely, and a change of approach is not likely either. But stranger things by far have certainly happened. Waterford have the players to cause the upset...

• Advertisement

I'd be worried wnough about Sunday. I think that Tipp's hammering of Waterford will take the pressure off them. They have nothing to lose and won't take the same beating again.

In regards to their 'system', they must go ahead and keep ahead. If they fall behind, like last year's semi-final, can they change things around?

I think if they being their 'shooting hurls' to Croke Park, they'll be well in the game. Their shot selection must be good. Sometimes they shoot from distance for the sake of it and when they get 2 or 3 wides in a row like that, the confidence starts to go.

I'd be worried enough about Sunday. I think that Tipp's hammering of Waterford will take the pressure off them. They have nothing to lose and won't take the same beating again.

In regards to their 'system', they must go ahead and keep ahead. If they fall behind, like last year's semi-final, can they change things around?

I think if they being their 'shooting hurls' to Croke Park, they'll be well in the game. Their shot selection must be good. Sometimes they shoot from distance for the sake of it and when they get 2 or 3 wides in a row like that, the confidence starts to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

I'd be worried wnough about Sunday. I think that Tipp's hammering of Waterford will take the pressure off them. They have nothing to lose and won't take the same beating again.

The forecast for Sunday is for it to be very windy so one would expect Waterford to have loads of players back. I don't expect it to be much of a spectacle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I reckon the starting lineup will be

E Murphy
    P Murphy, J Houlden, R Lennon
    P Walsh, K Joyce, C Buckley
    M Fennelly, C Fogarty
    W Walsh, TJ Reid, L Ryan/E Larkin
    Jj Farrell, R Hogan, C Fennelly

From what I'd imagine Cody doing I can't see anyone else being dropped except Larkin or Lester. Lester is apparently going great guns in training and might retain his place, although it's always hard to imagine Cody not playing Larkin. I reckon the rest pick themselves. Personally I'd prefer to see Jackie corner back for his leadership and experience but I don't think Cody will change it unless there is an injury.

I can see Power retained from start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Well I got that wrong hardly a surprise with master Cody in charge.

Kil.v Wat.
    E Murphy
    P Murphy J Holden S Prendergast P Walsh K Joyce C Buckley
    C Fogarty M Fennelly
    W Walsh TJ Reid J Power JJ Farrell C Fennelly R Hogan
    Subs
    R Reid
    J Tyrrell
    R Lennon
    C oShea
    L Ryan
    E Larkin
    C Martin
    K Kelly
    M Bergin
    L Blanchfield
    M Malone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Based on his performances so far in the championship, Lester can feel unlucky not to start. There's a lot of pressure on John Power to preform.

Larkin still must not have 'clicked' into gear yet in training.

I feel more assured have Prendergast at corner-back than Lennon, only slightly though.

absolutely no surprises there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭kk.man

RIP Ducksie.

Cody had 2 in reserve the last day..Larks and Lester good men to have on standby

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Well I got that wrong hardly a surprise with master Cody in charge.

Kil.v Wat.
    E Murphy
    P Murphy J Holden S Prendergast P Walsh K Joyce C Buckley
    C Fogarty M Fennelly
    W Walsh TJ Reid J Power JJ Farrell C Fennelly R Hogan
    Subs
    R Reid
    J Tyrrell
    R Lennon
    C oShea
    L Ryan
    E Larkin
    C Martin
    K Kelly
    M Bergin
    L Blanchfield
    M Malone
    Tough on Rob Lennon as he did nothing wrong but he is probably more suited to a central position. Cody not showing any bias towards the Village lads

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement