Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Based on his performances so far in the championship, Lester can feel unlucky not to start. There's a lot of pressure on John Power to preform.

Larkin still must not have 'clicked' into gear yet in training.

I feel more assured have Prendergast at corner-back than Lennon, only slightly though.

Agree on Lester. He threw himself into everything against Galway. Cody couldn't have asked more from him in terms of effort. Power must be playing some stuff in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Can't see power lasting the 70 minutes. Flatters to deceive for me . really unlucky on Lester and Lennon but our bench now looks strong.lets hope we stay on track for 3 in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Yeah, Lester will be disappointed as he hasn't done much wrong. Decent enough bench to shake things up a bit.

Always think Power is more suited to the impact sub but now he has his chance to prove what he can do. Hopefully he'll work as hard as Lester does and chip in with a few scores. Will he play in the corner?

With Lennon and JT, there's a bit of defensive cover and Lester can play half back through to half forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Why do I get the feeling we'll be listening to this obvious baiting right up until the semi final and then not a word out of you again after? We've had your ilk on this thread in the past.

In fairness, when you make a comment like your one about not coming outside the 45 you cannot complain about what comes next.

Complete provocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

In fairness, when you make a comment like your one about not coming outside the 45 you cannot complain about what comes next.

Complete provocation.

Edit: **** it, not worth dredging up that argument again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Yeah, Lester will be disappointed as he hasn't done much wrong. Decent enough bench to shake things up a bit.

Always think Power is more suited to the impact sub but now he has his chance to prove what he can do. Hopefully he'll work as hard as Lester does and chip in with a few scores. Will he play in the corner?

With Lennon and JT, there's a bit of defensive cover and Lester can play half back through to half forward.
    I think this is the first time in 16 years that we have gone into battle into championship without one of Shefflin, Larkin, Brennan or Power starting. Changing times

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

blackcard wrote: »
    I think this is the first time in 16 years that we have gone into battle into championship without one of Shefflin, Larkin, Brennan or Power starting. Changing times

Yet we keep rolling along blackcard(brillant management)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

I think it fair to say that we keep rolling along because there has been no real opposition over the past decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I'm a getting nervous but I know we can do it if we turn up fully focused no matter what they throw at us (unless everything goes right for them and all those long shots hit the target)

No neutral pundit is giving them a chance they're all plumming for Kilkenny and that never sits well with me, however I don't ascribe to the "Kilkennys unbeaten streak is so long it has to fall at some stage" and that is the reason Waterford might win. Waterford will win if they change their system and are a bit more attacking and it all comes off for them and they work like savages for 75 mins. At most we will face a 2 man FF line and by picking Dunford and Dillon I think McGrath is relying on them to win possession in the middle third and run at our lads or support other runners to create scoring chances. To be honest i think that is their best option far better than having lads taking pot shots from 60, 70, 80 yards on whats supposed to be a nice but gusty day.

Waterford undoubtedly have some very talented players and are a year older and stronger but a lot of them are still very young lots are under 21 and this can be a hindrance especially up front when they have to try and select the correct option shoot or pass?

I think Derek McGrath was very clever to instigate this system, much and all as I hate it. It was the best way for a team with so much youth in it to compete and to not get hockeyed and other than the Tipp game he has been successful in that. However we all realise and so does McGrath that it won't beat Kilkenny or Tipp in championship matches, yes you might beat us in the league on a bog when they have 4 months training and we have 4 weeks training done but when it gets to the business end when we're at the perfect pitch absolutely everything will have to go right for them and lots will have to go wrong for us for them to win if they play as they have done up to now. If they push a few lads forward they definitely have a good chance but i still doubt it will be enough. I think next year they would need to be a lot more aggressive while attacking and learn to defend in waves without the sweeper. If they do this they might get a few beatings while they learn their new roles just like they did in 2014 but it is a far more natural way to hurl and shouldn't take them as long to adjust. I'd be extremely nervous if they got this far playing attacking hurling with some of the young forwards they have coming through. I listened to and interview on a podcast with Derek McGrath during the week and from what I heard he would implement some parts of the basic idea above, he wouldn't abandon the sweeper by the sounds of it and therefore I think he should be replaced if Waterford want to progress.

Those that are hopefully for Waterford are sighting the fact that we have gotten beaten 4 times in championship since 2005. They say that we were overwhelming favourites everytime we lost just like we are tomorrow no one could see us losing then or now.
    The four championship matches we lost were
    Tipp 2010 AI, had won 21 previous championship matches

Galway 2012 Leinster Final, had won 5 previous matches including AI and blasting Dubin in the previous match

Dublin 2013 Leinster Semi, Had won four and drawn two. I think the theory falls apart on these games I didn't fancy us after the drawn game much as I hoped we'd do it.

Cork 2013 Qualifier, had won two matches over Tipp in the park and Waterford after ET in Thurles, a match we could have won but we were never right all year.

The one thing about all these games is we were missing or playing players who were injured

Tipp 2010- Missing Brian Hogan, Henry and Johnn Tennyson hamstrings
    Galway 2012- at least 5 players were carrying knocks into this game, Jackie-hamstring, Tommy-shoulder, Larkin-?, JJ-? and AN Other can't remember it all now but our five worst performers were all trying to come back too early from knocks, injuries and strains
    Dublin & Cork 2013- we were never at the races that year and all our lads just looked shattered beyond belief we put it up to teams and we were never going to be beaten by Tipp in our own backyard, other than that it was just waiting for the inevitable sucker punch.

This year we don't have any injury worries we have a full squad to pick from even lads with season ending injuries are back training with the panel (Ger Aylward and James Maher). We've had 2 draws and 11 wins since 2013 I don't think this run is going to come to an end like the last ones did if it does it's because we were beaten by the better team on the day.

Since the start of last year KK have scored 10 goals in Championship so in six games we scored the following goals
    5 v Wex 2015
    1 v Gal 2015
    1 v Wat 2015
    1 v Gal 2015
    1 v Dub 2016
    1 v Gal 2016

However we've only conceded 3 goals in the same 6 games
    0 v Wex 2015
    2 v Gal 2015
    0 v Wat 2015
    1 v Gal 2015
    0 v Dub 2016
    0 v Gal 2016

For a team who are struggling to score goals then this is a huge challenge. A challenge I believe Waterford have the players to overcome but not the right system this year.

We scored on average 24 points to go along with those goals while only conceding only 17.5 points per game

Waterford have played 7 games in the same period and scored the following goals
    3 v Crk 2015
    0 v Tipp 2015
    2 v Dub 2015
    0 v KK 2015
    1 v Cla 2016
    0 v Tipp 2016
    0 v Wex 2016

Waterford have conceded the following in those same games
    1 v Crk 2015
    0 v Tipp 2015
    1 v Dub 2015
    1 v KK 2015
    0 v Cla 2016
    5 v Tipp 2016
    0 v Wex 2016

So Waterford scored 6 in 7 games but with the ultra defensive system ye've still conceded 8 goals in 4 of those games and only kept the ball out of the onion bag against Tipp 15, Clare 16 and Wex 16 to me thats not very impressive for Derek Mc Graths system and actually worse than it thought their record would be.

Waterford scored an average of 21 points in those seven games and conceded and average of 19.7 points.

Waterford are scoring on average 1.3 points more than the opposition and an odd goal more (8 to 6 over 7 games)

Kilkenny are scoring on average 6.5 points more than the opposition and have scored over 3 times as many goals as our opposition in the 6 games

None of the above proves anything or tells us what will happen tomorrow but they give a good indication that Kilkenny can score goals no matter who they are playing and even without the goals they're scoring plenty of points to win especially when they defend so well from 15 to 1.

• Advertisement

Waterford did not invent the sweeper system.

Clare moved Markham back as an extra defender in the Noughties or earlier. It never worked either. There is no point in putting back an extra defender - it gives room around the pitch to the opposition and good passing will destroy a defensive team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I'm a getting nervous but I know we can do it if we turn up fully focused no matter what they throw at us (unless everything goes right for them and all those long shots hit the target)

No neutral pundit is giving them a chance they're all plumming for Kilkenny and that never sits well with me, however I don't ascribe to the "Kilkennys unbeaten streak is so long it has to fall at some stage" and that is the reason Waterford might win. Waterford will win if they change their system and are a bit more attacking and it all comes off for them and they work like savages for 75 mins. At most we will face a 2 man FF line and by picking Dunford and Dillon I think McGrath is relying on them to win possession in the middle third and run at our lads or support other runners to create scoring chances. To be honest i think that is their best option far better than having lads taking pot shots from 60, 70, 80 yards on whats supposed to be a nice but gusty day.

Waterford undoubtedly have some very talented players and are a year older and stronger but a lot of them are still very young lots are under 21 and this can be a hindrance especially up front when they have to try and select the correct option shoot or pass?

I think Derek McGrath was very clever to instigate this system, much and all as I hate it. It was the best way for a team with so much youth in it to compete and to not get hockeyed and other than the Tipp game he has been successful in that. However we all realise and so does McGrath that it won't beat Kilkenny or Tipp in championship matches, yes you might beat us in the league on a bog when they have 4 months training and we have 4 weeks training done but when it gets to the business end when we're at the perfect pitch absolutely everything will have to go right for them and lots will have to go wrong for us for them to win if they play as they have done up to now. If they push a few lads forward they definitely have a good chance but i still doubt it will be enough. I think next year they would need to be a lot more aggressive while attacking and learn to defend in waves without the sweeper. If they do this they might get a few beatings while they learn their new roles just like they did in 2014 but it is a far more natural way to hurl and shouldn't take them as long to adjust. I'd be extremely nervous if they got this far playing attacking hurling with some of the young forwards they have coming through. I listened to and interview on a podcast with Derek McGrath during the week and from what I heard he would implement some parts of the basic idea above, he wouldn't abandon the sweeper by the sounds of it and therefore I think he should be replaced if Waterford want to progress.

Those that are hopefully for Waterford are sighting the fact that we have gotten beaten 4 times in championship since 2005. They say that we were overwhelming favourites everytime we lost just like we are tomorrow no one could see us losing then or now.
    The four championship matches we lost were
    Tipp 2010 AI, had won 21 previous championship matches

Galway 2012 Leinster Final, had won 5 previous matches including AI and blasting Dubin in the previous match

Dublin 2013 Leinster Semi, Had won four and drawn two. I think the theory falls apart on these games I didn't fancy us after the drawn game much as I hoped we'd do it.

Cork 2013 Qualifier, had won two matches over Tipp in the park and Waterford after ET in Thurles, a match we could have won but we were never right all year.

The one thing about all these games is we were missing or playing players who were injured

Tipp 2010- Missing Brian Hogan, Henry and Johnn Tennyson hamstrings
    Galway 2012- at least 5 players were carrying knocks into this game, Jackie-hamstring, Tommy-shoulder, Larkin-?, JJ-? and AN Other can't remember it all now but our five worst performers were all trying to come back too early from knocks, injuries and strains
    Dublin & Cork 2013- we were never at the races that year and all our lads just looked shattered beyond belief we put it up to teams and we were never going to be beaten by Tipp in our own backyard, other than that it was just waiting for the inevitable sucker punch.

This year we don't have any injury worries we have a full squad to pick from even lads with season ending injuries are back training with the panel (Ger Aylward and James Maher). We've had 2 draws and 11 wins since 2013 I don't think this run is going to come to an end like the last ones did if it does it's because we were beaten by the better team on the day.

Since the start of last year KK have scored 10 goals in Championship so in six games we scored the following goals
    5 v Wex 2015
    1 v Gal 2015
    1 v Wat 2015
    1 v Gal 2015
    1 v Dub 2016
    1 v Gal 2016

However we've only conceded 3 goals in the same 6 games
    0 v Wex 2015
    2 v Gal 2015
    0 v Wat 2015
    1 v Gal 2015
    0 v Dub 2016
    0 v Gal 2016

For a team who are struggling to score goals then this is a huge challenge. A challenge I believe Waterford have the players to overcome but not the right system this year.

We scored on average 24 points to go along with those goals while only conceding only 17.5 points per game

Waterford have played 7 games in the same period and scored the following goals
    3 v Crk 2015
    0 v Tipp 2015
    2 v Dub 2015
    0 v KK 2015
    1 v Cla 2016
    0 v Tipp 2016
    0 v Wex 2016

Waterford have conceded the following in those same games
    1 v Crk 2015
    0 v Tipp 2015
    1 v Dub 2015
    1 v KK 2015
    0 v Cla 2016
    5 v Tipp 2016
    0 v Wex 2016

So Waterford scored 6 in 7 games but with the ultra defensive system ye've still conceded 8 goals in 4 of those games and only kept the ball out of the onion bag against Tipp 15, Clare 16 and Wex 16 to me thats not very impressive for Derek Mc Graths system and actually worse than it thought their record would be.

Waterford scored an average of 21 points in those seven games and conceded and average of 19.7 points.

Waterford are scoring on average 1.3 points more than the opposition and an odd goal more (8 to 6 over 7 games)

Kilkenny are scoring on average 6.5 points more than the opposition and have scored over 3 times as many goals as our opposition in the 6 games

None of the above proves anything or tells us what will happen tomorrow but they give a good indication that Kilkenny can score goals no matter who they are playing and even without the goals they're scoring plenty of points to win especially when they defend so well from 15 to 1.
    If you check the Waterford forum I think you will see we are, to put it mildly, somewhat less than optimistic about this game. Your post has cheered me up no end though. I didn't realise Kilkenny had only scored 1 goal in each of their last five championship matches.

Including 5 goals scored in the furthest back match against an average Wexford team is a bit misleading really isn't it? The first rule in statistics is to rule out the outliers which that score line clearly was in the context of what followed. Likewise, Waterford conceded 5 against Tipperary after individual errors in a monsoon that would have embarrassed a junior B side. Proper analysis of your stats would suggest Kilkenny will score 1 goal and Waterford none. Is 1 goal going to be decisive? I very much doubt it. Thanks for giving me some hope where, if I'm honest I didn't really see any.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bulldog 12

Have 2 tickets for sale for tomorrow. Section 304 row U. Private message if anyone interested.

unrealtime wrote: »
    Waterford did not invent the sweeper system.

Clare moved Markham back as an extra defender in the Noughties or earlier. It never worked either. There is no point in putting back an extra defender - it gives room around the pitch to the opposition and good passing will destroy a defensive team.

Waterford remind me of Donegal (football) a few years ago. Set up defensively but they only went so far in the first couple of years. Mc Guinness realised that they had to tweak the defensive system to produce more at the other end.

In a similar way, Mc Grath and Waterford are currently in that position now. They have to do something different to be more productive up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Waterford remind me of Donegal (football) a few years ago. Set up defensively but they only went so far in the first couple of years. Mc Guinness realised that they had to tweak the defensive system to produce more at the other end.

In a similar way, Mc Grath and Waterford are currently in that position now. They have to do something different to be more productive up front.

They won an all ireland in McGuinness' second year in charge.

Cornerback is right only i think the difference is that the defensive system was part of a greater plan with McGuinness. He was trying to fortify Donegal initially. It seems to be Derek's only plan though. I expected them to play with more of a bould swagger this year

• Advertisement

Cornerback is right only i think the difference is that the defensive system was part of a greater plan with McGuinness. He was trying to fortify Donegal initially. It seems to be Derek's only plan though. I expected them to play with more of a bould swagger this year

True. I thought they would be more of an attacking force this year. Obviously hurling is different but Waterford are slowly progressing. They won the league last year, got to the final this year again and are probably in the top 3 or 4 teams. Now how they move up the charts is up to their management team.

Kilkenny 5-16 Clare 1-16.

citykat wrote: »
    Kilkenny 5-16 Clare 1-16.

Goals wins matches!!!

That's a sh1t hot intermediate team

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

A comprehensive win.

Any news on individual performances?

• Advertisement

I think you will see a few players from that team on the senior team in the future, John Walsh, Jason Cleere and Richie Leahy for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Goals wins matches!!!

yep 4 of which came in the first half against a fairly strong wind , we were comfortable in the first ten minutes leading 1-03 to 0-01 then within 5 mins it was game over and something like 4-02 to 1-05

didnt travel down today but it did sound like a fairly descent side ye had out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Well done to the Intermediate team and backroom staff! Congrats!

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

galway gonna hammer the kats thi syear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

2 - If one of Joyce, Fogarty or Fennelly don't break Gleeson in half during one of those runs up the middle I'll be gutted. He's obviously quality and it's hard for anyone to keep into him hence why he keeps doing it but **** me someone just ****ing level him.

You are not alone in Kilkenny it seems. Enda McEvoy wrote (on the examiner website) "how will he [Gleeson] react to a borderline-late hit"?

A comprehensive win.

Any news on individual performances?

According to KCLR, it was poor enough game. Maybe the goals killed it a bit but Clare got to within 4pts in second half but never looked liked going ahead.

Evan Coady got 2 yellows i think. Walsh got his second goal with the last puck of the game.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    You are not alone in Kilkenny it seems. Enda McEvoy wrote (on the examiner website) "how will he [Gleeson] react to a borderline-late hit"?
    Enda loves his poetic license.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Austin will bury any Kilkenny player brave enough to take him on. Have never seen a youngfella to give or take hits like him, he got a few sly ones against Clare in June & look how he responded, gave it back with interest then went & won the game for us.

I hope Kilkenny try & stir it tomorrow, this Waterford team won't stand for it & Ive a feeling a few Kilkenny lads will come off worst. Gleeson et. al don't care how many All Ireland's you have - it'll be a war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Motivator wrote: »
    Austin will bury any Kilkenny player brave enough to take him on. Have never seen a youngfella to give or take hits like him, he got a few sly ones against Clare in June & look how he responded, gave it back with interest then went & won the game for us.

I hope Kilkenny try & stir it tomorrow, this Waterford team won't stand for it & Ive a feeling a few Kilkenny lads will come off worst. Gleeson et. al don't care how many All Ireland's you have - it'll be a war.

He should have got the line against Tipp.

XR3i wrote: »
    galway gonna hammer the kats thi syear

Wha?

• Advertisement

Ah sure the rest of the Waterford players don't really need to turn up do they? Just leave it all to Gleeson to take on the entire KK team :rolleyes:

Austin will bury any Kilkenny player brave enough to take him on.

My plans for 3.30 tomorrow might be about to change having read this. Maybe it'll be worth staying awake for after all!

Congrats to Jason Cleere and Sean Morrissey on their sixth AI.Some achievement at the age of 20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

If you try and go toe to toe with us physically you'll be killed. You essentially have a team of kids such is the age profile of your team against ours. They may be big for their age but Kilkenny are a different animal. The absolute last thing you should do is try to make it a war.

You may have missed the point of mcevoys question. He's discussing whether the lad will react stupidly and get himself sent off. Your response would seem to support that suspicion.

As for Kilkenny trying to stir it, it might be worth reminding yourself of 2008: Kilkenny aren't in the business of stirring it, but when Waterford, in their infinite wisdom went down that road we know where it got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

You may have missed the point of mcevoys question. He's discussing whether the lad will react stupidly and get himself sent off. Your response would seem to support that suspicion.

As for Kilkenny trying to stir it, it might be worth reminding yourself of 2008: Kilkenny aren't in the business of stirring it, but when Waterford, in their infinite wisdom went down that road we know where it got them.

No I get McEvoys point but what I'm saying is he's able to take the hits, Thai year he seems to be channelling it a bit better. In the Clare game he got a horrible off the ball shot off Mcinerney (open to correction it mightnt have been him) & reacted in the best possible way. In the U21 final he got a few shots & was actually blowing lads two & threw at a time out of his way. The youngfella is an animal, I can't think of anyone so athletic & quick on their feet but who is also able to take so many hits.

No I get McEvoys point but what I'm saying is he's able to take the hits, Thai year he seems to be channelling it a bit better. In the Clare game he got a horrible off the ball shot off Mcinerney (open to correction it mightnt have been him) & reacted in the best possible way. In the U21 final he got a few shots & was actually blowing lads two & threw at a time out of his way. The youngfella is an animal, I can't think of anyone so athletic & quick on their feet but who is also able to take so many hits.

Well if his response is to play someone off the park fair play to him. But if he's looking to bury lads and get into a fight? It's a mugs game, and it won't do much good against Kilkenny. Cody's while approach to putting his team's together since galway muscled us out of it in 2001 has been about making sure we're never intimidated. Getting rid of the old "Kilkenny for the hurlers, tipp for the men" saying might be one of his major achievements

Firstly Kilkenny go out to hurl and not to hit lads. If a lad is in the way he will get hit if needs be but it's not our first option. However teams come at us and try rough us up but our lads can handle that better than anyone and can do it all day not just for the first half. I'm fairly sure Kilkenny don't turn it on in the second half they maintain the level, the intensity, the hits but the other team can't stay at that level beyond 50mins.

Gleeson is an excellent hurler he's fast and skilful and is definitely bigger this year than he was and sturdier than he was. However there's a big difference busting through 2 or 3 young lads from Tipp or Clare and trying burst through Mick Fennelly, Conor Fogarty and Wally let's say. He might burst past one but he won't burst through all three and still have the ball. I'm not trying to take anything from him he is going to be your best player for the next 10 years as long as he stays injury free and I see him as the new Michael Fennelly. The problem is the old Michael Fennelly hasn't gone away and the 3 lads I mentioned above and all the Kilkenny players have at least 3 or 4 years if not 11 or 12 years for some of that stamina building intensity we have in training which allows them to not be fazed by big hits they just bounce back up and look for more.

Best of luck this afternoon hopefully it'll be at the very least entertaining and played and reffed fairly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭Buck Melanoma

See Kilkenny don't need to stir it. That generally is reserved for teams with an inferiority complex. Kilkenny have seen it all before, teams looking for a war are old hat. That is Kilkenny's (and Cody's)legacy, they adapt to whatever is thrown at them. So if you come to battle .........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Firstly Kilkenny go out to hurl and not to hit lads. If a lad is in the way he will get hit if needs be but it's not our first option. However teams come at us and try rough us up but our lads can handle that better than anyone and can do it all day not just for the first half.
    This sums up Kilkenny perfectly. While they are no doubt a physical team, the priority is always to play hurling first. And when teams come at them and try to rough them up (see Galway in recent years), their greatest ability is being able to resist that physicality until it is rendered moot. Sure they can throw it about with the best of them, but it is always secondary to the sole aim of out-scoring and out-hurling the opposition.

This sums up Kilkenny perfectly. While they are no doubt a physical team, the priority is always to play hurling first.

Just curious: can you identify what inter county teams have a priority to be physical first and play hurling later? It seems like Kilkenny are being presented as some kind of outlier.

Ah we know you have the party line to bear in mind and present Kilkenny as you would wish them to be presented but we are not stupid enough to not realise that McEvoy thinks it very likely that Gleeson could be targeted with a late and nasty challenge. You make it sound like Gleeson is in some kind of vacuum by informing us of the "point" of McEvoy's question. The point is that it's a tacit admission that Kilkenny are as well practised in the dark arts as anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

blackcard wrote: »
    I think you will see a few players from that team on the senior team in the future, John Walsh, Jason Cleere and Richie Leahy for example
    Bill Ryan could be added to that.

Ah we know you have the party line to bear in mind and present Kilkenny as you would wish them to be presented but we are not stupid enough to not realise that McEvoy thinks it very likely that Gleeson could be targeted with a late and nasty challenge. You make it sound like Gleeson is in some kind of vacuum by informing us of the "point" of McEvoy's question. The point is that it's a tacit admission that Kilkenny are as well practised in the dark arts as anyone else.
    You should really read the article again or more likely for the first time. You're taking one line completely out of context. The question is posed for Gleesons reaction to such a hit rather than any tactical intention. When was the last time Kilkenny 'targetted' any individual for special attention? Kilkenny under Cody are a tough team but they're not dirty. They don't have to be. Their record speaks for itself. Other teams including Waterford have tried to bring the dirt into it and look where that gets them. You're only poking the bear ffs.
    If i were you i wouldn't have any concerns about Gleesons wellbeing today. I'd be hoping he at least is still in the game for the last 10-15 mins. After a bright start last year he was down 3 times before getting called ashore with about 15 mins to go. That's when Waterford are going to need him.

The question is posed for Gleesons reaction to such a hit rather than any tactical intention.

If i were you i wouldn't have any concerns about Gleesons wellbeing today.

I think the reason the question is posed is clear enough okay. The fact that it's posed at all makes that clear.

And I couldn't care less about Gleeson's well being today. I simply pointed out an apparently unnecessary reference in an article to a physical hit on a named player which was in line with a topic of conversation here. Let people make of it what they will. But it is interesting to point out its existence.

• Advertisement

I think the reason the question is posed is clear enough okay. The fact that it's posed at all makes that clear.

And I couldn't care less about Gleeson's well being today. I simply pointed out an apparently unnecessary reference in an article to a physical hit on a named player which was in line with a topic of conversation here. Let people make of it what they will. But it is interesting to point out its existence.

The mind boggles. Let me assure you. The journalist concerned has not and never will have any input into the tactics of the Kilkenny senior hurling team on match day.

The mind boggles. Let me assure you. The journalist concerned has not and never will have any input into the tactics of the Kilkenny senior hurling team on match day.

I don't need to be assured of anything. I simply pointed out something in print which chimed with a debate already taking place here which was interesting as some were painting the guy here who spoke of such matters as some kind of Maverick. Clearly the thought has crossed more than one mind. I don't need to be assured of anything.I'm just the messenger.

Bill Ryan could be added to that.

Yeah the intermediates and a very easy win after a slow start and were 1-02 to no score down before scoring 3 goals in six mins and blew Clare away. This Clare team was not amazing it's pretty much the same team the Waterford U21s wiped except the intermediate team were obviously without their 3 lads who played senior this year.

It was a poor enough game especially in the first half bar the excitement of the goals. The second half got a bit better although the radio commentators were in the opposite stand to the crowd, it was similar to being at a good Club league match in Nowlan Park and there was plenty of atmosphere around where I was. This is how I'd rate the Kilkenny players.
    1. Aaron Duggan 7 did well enough had very little to do in the way of saves and he's puckouts were good.
    2. Evan Cody 7 was the free man a lot of the time, a role he obviously wasn't too used to but he did well enough. He was sent off for two yellows neither of which looked like fouls let alone yellows but the Carlow ref threw out a lot of silly yellows to both sides
    3. Tom Awkward 7 had very little to do but did it well when called on
    4. Like Hickey 7 again had very little to do but did it well
    5. Jason Cleere 9 was immense and a definite for the seniors not that we didn't know that already.
    6. Conor Delaney 8 lots came at him and by and large he dealt with it all not much got by him.
    7. Geoff Brennan 6 he looked nervous and fumbled catches but his distribution was good.
    8. Jack Langton 7 was Ok did a huge amount of work but the middle was often busy scored 0-1
    9. Like Scanlon 8 was absolutely excellent when he had the ball scored a peach of a goal just didn't get on the ball enough for me. A definite senior prospect Scored 1-2
    10. Alan Murphy 8 played very well and put himself around. Scored 0-2 from frees
    11. Conor Tobin 7 worked tirelessly but was often swamped and not much worked for him going forward. He was subbed half way through the second half
    12. Richie Leahy 6 worked hard again was swamped whenever he got the ball and was probably highlighted after his winning subs appearance in the Leinster final. Not great yesterday but definitely a senior star in the making
    13.Billy Ryan 10 was outstanding and ran and fought for everything has a great touch and speed, a new fast Billy from GBC Senior prospect all the way scored 1-4
    14 Nicky Cleere 8 played really well did lots of work and was often back in midfield and occasionally in defence. Scored 1-4, 4 from frees
    15 John Walsh 10 some he's touches and control under pressure were outrageous. Huge appetite for work. He's first goal was a thing of beauty which lots of others may have given up on. A high ball boomed in, the keeper called it. It was dropping on the left hand corner of the large rectangle, Walshes marker went back for the line. As the keeper raised his hand to catch ,the in rushing Walsh swung his hurl above the keepers hand and slapped it in a flash into the far corner. He had a wayward shot or two in the first half but the skill too get the ball before those shots was just great. He straightened the radar and slotted his two points in the second half and finished the game with his 2 goal. For which he broke onto a high ball in behind the full back when they were the only players inside 30 yards. Walsh easily won the race with his pace and batted the ball into the ground in front of the keeper to avoid the hook. Has work to do to get stronger but I could easily see a FF line of Ger Aylward, John Walsh and Billy Ryan scoring ridiculous amounts of goals in the next few years
    Scored 2-2
    Subs
    21 Sean Morrissey too little to rate but did very well, worked really hard and scored a lovely point at his ease.
    Jack McGrath and Shane Donnelly not really on long enough or didn't get into it a huge amount in their time on the field.

From that game and what I know I would say the following are Senior definites
    Jason Cleere
    Richie Leahy
    Billy Ryan
    John Walsh
    Most of these need to get stronger but they have the talent hopefully they have the temperament too.

Probably make it
    Like Scanlon
    Conor Delaney
    Alan Murphy
    Sean Morrissey
    These lads will definitely get an opportunity and hopefully they take it. Scanlon has all the skill but would get murdered in a intercounty senior game at the minute, he has Cha's frame if he can bulk up a bit he'd be savage.

Could make it
    Evan Cody
    Tom Aylward
    Cody is not as confident as he has been, if he is then he's a definite senior prospect but needs to sort his head out a bit for me. Only my second time seeing Tom but I like what I see but I would need to see more to be convinced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Yeah the intermediates and a very easy win after a slow start and we're 1-02 to no score down before scoring 3 goals in six mins and blew Clare away. This Clare team was not amazing it's pretty much the same team the Waterford U21s wiped except the intermediate team were obviously without their 3 lads who played senior this year.

It was a poor enough game especially in the first half bar the excitement of the goals the second half got a bit better although the radio commentators were in the opposite stand to the crowd it was similar to being at a good Club league match in Nowlan Park and there was plenty of atmosphere around where I was. this is how I'd rate the Kilkenny players.
    1. Aaron Duggan 7 did well enough had very little to do in the way of saves and he's puckouts were good.
    2. Evan Cody 7 was the free man a lot of the time a role he obviously wasn't too used to but he did well enough was sent off for two yellows neither of which looked like fouls let alone yellows but the Carlos ref threw out a lot of silly yellows to both sides
    3. Tom Awkward 7 had very little to do but did it well when called on
    4. Like Hickey 7 again had very little to do but did it well
    5. Jason Cleere 9 was immense and a definite for the seniors not that we didn't know that already.
    6. Conor Delaney 8 lots came at him and by and large he dealt with it all not much got by him.
    7. Geoff Brennan 6 he looked nervous and fumbled catches but his distribution was OK.
    8. Jack Langton 7 was OK did a huge amount of work but the middle was often busy scored 0-1
    9. Like Scanlon 8 was absolutely excellent when he had the ball scored a peach of a goal just didn't get on the ball enough for me. A definite senior prospect Scored 1-2
    10. Alan Murphy 8 played very well and put himself around. Scored 0-2 from frees
    11. Conor Tobin 7 worked tirelessly but was often swamped and not much worked for him going forward. He was subbed half way through the second half
    12. Richie Leahy 6 worked hard again was swamped whenever he got the ball and was probably highlighted after his winning sub appearance in the Leinster final. Not great but definitely a senior star in the making
    13.Billy Ryan 10 was outstanding and ran and fought for everything has a great touch and speed a new fast Billy from GBC Senior prospect all the way scored 1-4
    14 Nickey Cleere 8 played really well did lots of work and was often back in midfield and occasionally in defence. Scored 1-4, 4 from frees
    15 John Walsh 10 some he's touches and control under pressure were outrageous. Huge appetite for work. He's first goal was a thing of beauty and lots of others may have given up. A high ball boomed in the keeper called it. It was dropping on the left hand corner of the large rectangle Walshes marker went back for the line. As the keeper raised his hand to catch the in rushing Walsh swung his hurl above his hand and slapped it in a flash into the far corner. He had a wayward shot or two in the first half but the skill to get the ball before the shot was just great he straightened the radar and slotted his two points in the second half and finished the game with his 2 goal which he broke onto a high ball in behind the full back then they were the only players inside 30 yards Walsh easily won the race with his pace and batted the ball into the ground in front of the keeper to avoid the hook. Has work to do to get stronger but I could easily see a FF line of Ger Aylward, John Walsh and Billy Ryan scoring ridiculous amounts of goals in the next few years
    Scored 2-2
    Subs
    21 Sean Morrissey to little to rate but did very well worked really hard and scored a lovely point at his ease.
    Jack McGrath and Shane Donnelly not really on long enough or didn't get into it a huge amount in their time on the field.

From that game and what I know I would say the following are Senior definites
    Jason Cleere
    Richie Leahy
    Billy Ryan
    John Walsh
    Most of these need to get stronger but they have the talent hopefully they have the temperament too.

Probably make it
    Like Scanlon
    Conor Delaney
    Alan Murphy
    Sean Morrissey
    These lads will definitely get an opportunity and hopefully they take it. Scanlon has all the skill but would get murdered in a intercounty senior game he has Cha's frame if he can bulk up a bit he'd be savage.

Could make it
    Evan Cody
    Tom Aylward
    Cody is not as confident as he has been, if he is then he's a definite senior prospect but needs to sort his head out a bit for me. Only my second time seeing Tom but I like what I see but I would need to see more to be convinced.

Jason Cleere was the cause of 1-2 in first 5 mins.

Just to clarify, that Clare under 21 team that was hammered by Waterford started with 9 of that intermediate team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement