Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Just curious: can you identify what inter county teams have a priority to be physical first and play hurling later? It seems like Kilkenny are being presented as some kind of outlier.
    Well, Kilkenny have often been criticised for being over physical and "playing on the edge". So really it's important to put that crap to rest.

And to answer your question, I would say Galway in the last two years. Not all of their players, but a select few have played in quite a nasty and ultimately pointless manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Enda Mcevoy related conspiracy theories aside, how are we all feeling today? On the one hand I'm fairly confident we have the beating of Waterford, especially if they play "the system" too zealously (I'd go so far as to say they can't beat us playing like that), on the other, this is a lovely set up for an ambush. If McGrath has any imagination at all he should have an approach to today's have that is responsive to the team he's facing instead of a cookie cutter approach. I would probably play a sweeper if I was him, focused on limiting (but not chasing round the park) hogan, but keep more players committed fill forward with a view to knicking a goal. If they get a lead they'll park the bus and if not they'll aim to keep it tight then let loose in the second half, especially if they keep us limited in the third quarter.

But I expect him to keep faith with his usual "hurling with the handbrake on" approach, which our midfield is perfectly designed to break up, and hogan dragging a spare man all over the place to free up space to run at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Think we'll do it by around 5 points. Waterford are a good side and have some decent players but I think their forward line just isnt good enough to hit the scores required to beat us.

KK need to start scoring goals more regularly.

Is Colin Fennelly playing? He has the ability to score a goal in every game he plays yet seems to always come up short. Terribly underwhelming player considering his hurling and physical ability.

Close one that. Infairness Waterford played extremely well today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Familiar story with Kilkenny, so many players completely under-performing and yet still coming out of the game with something. Power, Walsh, Farrell, TJ Reid, Both Fennellys all had poor games.

Waterford had the game for the taking and hit three bad wides in a row. They threw it away, and it was a sorry sight to see them returning to the one inside forward tactics for the last 15 minutes or so. Complete lunacy from Derek McGrath.

Mulbert wrote: »
    Yes he was playing. He was in front of me a one stage. But i think there are other hurling men who know more than u!
    I asked that before the game as I hadn't seen the teams! He worked hard as usual but with his ability he should be offering much more in terms of scores. He did well for the goal mind you. I think he is a capable of much more.

Anyway, goals win games. And sometimes they keep you in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Mulbert

This is consistently the most active thread don the GAA forum. As a result, discussion can get quite heated. But there are certain things posters must realise are simply not OK to post:

I asked that before the game as I hadn't seen the teams! He worked hard as usual but with his ability he should be offering much more in terms of scores. He did well for the goal mind you. I think he is a capable of much more.

How many goals do you think he should have scored to equal the sum of his physical attributes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

How many goals do you think he should have scored to equal the sum of his physical attributes?

Some, instead of none, would be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭kk.man

Here's one for the next day ;
    Leave K Joyce off. His place to go to either Mick Fennelly or Conor Fogarty thus giving Lester his start at Mid field.

The 15 KK players that finished the game should start. Oh give Buckley a lesson in patients...that should do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

kk.man wrote: »
    Leave K Joyce off. His place to go to either Mick Fennelly or Conor Fogarty thus giving Lester his start at Mid field.

The 15 KK players that finished the game should start. Oh give Buckley a lesson in patients...that should do it!

Think he should concentrate on hurling rather than medical training before next Sunday.

Topcat32 wrote: »

Think he should concentrate on hurling rather than medical training before next Sunday.
    Typo...patience

Some, instead of none, would be good.

I thought Colin was ok today, worked hard, got a nice point in the first half and did very well for the goal, forwards were getting poor ball all day. In general the big problem was that Waterford won nearly every ball when it went to ground, a lot of Kilkenny players got pushed off the ball pretty easily.

Not sure. How many do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

We really, really got out of jail today.

Waterford were immense; they were by far the better team.

Fair play to the lads though for hanging on in there and getting the goal. I couldn't see us getting one at any stage, and we weren't going to be able to peg back Waterford by just getting points.

Serious balls from Conor Fogarty to go for the point and get the equaliser. And as well from the lads to work it up to halfway and pass it to him. Anyone of them could have taken the easy option and just thumped it up the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

Next sat evening in Thurles, we know Waterford love to play there, Kilkenny have had good success there in the past too in league finals etc there but never really seem to shine in championship outings. Although different venue and maybe cooler conditions may help Kilkenny freshing up a bit from today which is needed big time i feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Cant have john power as a starter.what about john walsh as a springeror bolger kelly or even alwayrd(dont no if fit)need a scoring forward at least from the bench.thought buckley second half was really good and backs in general played well.cody needs to find one (luke he has done before)for the replay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

kksaints wrote: »
    Close one that. Infairness Waterford played extremely well today.
    Waterford were the better team today and if they had to take their goal chances would have won. I was at training twice last week and was concerned that the touch of a number of players was not as good as what it normally is at this time of year. I thought this showed up today with the pressure that Waterford put Kk under. However, I would be more hopeful about next week than I was about today. For 65 minutes everything Waterford hit seemed to go over the bar. There is no doubt that Kk are not as good as we were a few years ago. On a side note, I thought Waterford threw the ball a lot but I am probably biased

blackcard wrote: »
    On a side note, I thought Waterford threw the ball a lot but I am probably biased

I think every team does it, including ourselves. I think it's just always more noticeable when the opposition does it.

I don't get annoyed by it anymore as I've accepted that a handpass is now a throw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

At one stage everything that Waterford hit went over the bar. They were just about the better team overall but not by much. Had Cilian Buckley been able to pass, game would have been a little different

We will improve next week and we like the great pitch that Thurles is. I would start same team save for Larkin in place of John Power at the start.

One thing I noticed the last few times Ive seen Kilkenny play is that Cody doesnt really use the bench very much. I could be wrong but in the last two matches he has only used two subs in each. It worked against Galway but leaving Power on for the full 70 was a strange choice today.

One thing I noticed the last few times Ive seen Kilkenny play is that Cody doesnt really use the bench very much. I could be wrong but in the last two matches he has only used two subs in each. It worked against Galway but leaving Power on for the full 70 was a strange choice today.
    We don't have a bench..unless John Walsh is added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

We don't have a bench..unless John Walsh is added

Larkin and Lester to start instead of Jon jo and John power. Waterford were very good but we looked rusty. If we are beaten next week we'll have no excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

Whos sitting on the bench is not that important, its the work rate and effort on the field that has been kilkennys well documented success over the years. Waterford didnt field a new team from the bench today since the munster final a few weeks ago, it was the sheer workrate and hunger that was missing transformed them. As a Kilkenny man i wouldnt really worry about the starting fifteen the next day , its the attitude and workrate of those on the field at the time.

The only thing I'd worry about is the forwards being snuffed out again. It took a few freak scores from Richie Hogan to keep KK in the game in the 1st half and a goal out of nothing in the 2nd to take it to a replay.

• Advertisement

The only thing I'd worry about is the forwards being snuffed out again. It took a few freak scores from Richie Hogan to keep KK in the game in the 1st half and a goal out of nothing in the 2nd to take it to a replay.

They scored 1 20 so while TJ, John and Jonjoe werent great its harsh to say they were snuffed out, id be more worried about the form of the half back line, Waterford really targeted them and they looked rattled at times especially during the second half.

They scored 1 20 so while TJ, John and Jonjoe werent great its harsh to say they were snuffed out, id be more worried about the form of the half back line, Waterford really targeted them and they looked rattled at times especially during the second half.
    For the last 15 minutes, I was preparing to shake hands with the Waterford supporter in front of me, they were better than us. However Austin Gleeson was inbelievable and is going to be a factor for the next ten years. Having said that, Cork, Galway, Tipp, Limerick
    and every other team have hit us with their hardest and we still fought as hard as all of them despite all the all irelands we have won

For the last 15 minutes, I was preparing to shake hands with the Waterford supporter in front of me, they were better than us. However Austin Gleeson was inbelievable and is going to be a factor for the next ten years. Having said that, Cork, Galway, Tipp, Limerick
    and every other team have hit us with their hardest and we still fought as hard as all of them despite all the all irelands we have won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Simple reason is that he hasn't got a bench ta use ,when larkin is your first option in attack and no disrespect a great servant but there is your options,
    Mick fennelly today is a shadow of his former self and apparently John Power was playing today,BC would have hauled Farrell,Power ,Mick Fennelly and Wally
    Off if he had better options on the bench

• Advertisement

If there are better options on any bench in the country (including Waterford's) than Wally or Mick Fennelly then I would play them. Waterford did not win and Paul Murphy had the chance to win it. As noted Kilkenny hit 1-21 and a score of 2-20 is generally good enough to win any match.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Great weather forecast for next weekend ...

Which will be the "kilkenny terrace" ?

Killinan End?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

They were class scores yesterday by Ritchie its only a man like him would have the confidence to go for it, also the treatment that Walter Walsh got yesterday in the second half was terrible off the ball there was a lad sent off in the minor match for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

In fairness to Waterford, they were absolutely superb, their work rate, hunger and commitment was absolutely top notch. The ferocity of their tackling was unbelievable. A big difference in the game to me was the way Waterfords forwards and midfielders were consistently able to recycle the ball when they were met by Kilkennys tackling as opposed to the way our forwards regularly lost it in the tackle.

They did to us yesterday what we have done to many teams down through the years. BUT our lads have some balls, they dug in and kept tipping away. The deise must be wondering if they will ever beat us. Lack of experience or belief maybe played a part in preventing Waterford from getting over the line but by God Kilkenny are some men to have the resolve to keep going.

You would imagine KK will improve for next weekend and that surely everything cant go over again for Waterford but I expect it to go the wire once again. Roll on Thurles next Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Fair play to Waterford they really were outstanding yesterday and really should have won the game. They went man for man for 60-65 minutes and showed how good a side they are but unfortunately (for them anyway) they slipped back to old habits and in the end it cost them the game. The irony is that KK didn't ever look like scoring or even creating a goal chance until they pulled the sweeper back. I thought the WD back were excellent and completely snuffed out the threat of the KK forwards, and up front Gleeson and Mahony were excellent and they had one of those days where everything they hit turned to gold.

From our own point of view I thought it was a really poor performance but to there credit they kept battling and never gave up even when we looked dead and buried!! Kieran Joyce was badly exposed at centre back and should have been taken off a lot earlier as WD really went to town on him!! To be fair to Joyce he wasn't the only one who had a bad day at the office yesterday and he's never let us down in the past. You can't expect to win a game when 5 of your starting forwards play well below there best and if not for Richie Hogan's brilliance (first half especially) we would have been in real trouble. But in saying all that we lived to fight another day and that's a credit to the spirit of the players and management. It will be very interesting to see what changes are made for the next day, the 2 subs I felt made a big difference and I think a place will have to be found in the team for Lester Ryan, who I think was very harshly dropped in the first place. I've seen it said in a few places that there is a lack of quality on the KK bench but I honestly believe there are the players there, I just think there's either a lack of belief or willingness to give some of these guys a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Whats the story with season tickets for a replay? Same as normal semi final?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭blue note

blue note wrote: »
    I really get the impression from reading this thread that under no circumstances will Waterford get any credit if we win. Or if we lose actually.

If we win it can't possibly be down to us playing well considering the system if we win so it will have to be a Kilkenny collapse. If we lose we'll never have had a chance because of the system.

I actually find this a hard game to call. Both defensive teams - people thinking goals will win it, but neither team scores many or concedes many (with the obvious exception of the Munster final). Goals will be a minimum - I think points will win this game. But no matter what, Waterford won't get any credit here if we do win.

Well I'm glad to say I was wrong with the above post anyway. I never imagined we'd line out as a traditional 15. Aside from the additional attacking options, the 3 man full forward line stopped any short puck outs. Walter Walsh did great in the air I thought and his offloading was excellent, but not having Paul Murphy and co playing the ball up the pitch took pressure off our defence.

I thought before the game how much we were being written off was insane. Basically after one bad half of hurling in the last 2 years we went from being a lot of people's tip for the AI to having zero chance against KK. It made no sense to me. Now, I still fancied Kilkenny slightly for the game - I thought we'd repeat our tactics (and wides) from the Wexford game, but even with a defensive system I still felt we had the players to potentially win it. But having gone traditional we really should have seen it out.

In the last couple of years a few people have said that Kilkenny aren't actually way ahead of everyone else any more. When Gerlock called them functional beyond belief there was actually a compliment in there and Kilkenny really showed it yesterday. Kilkenny were outplayed for most of the match yesterday but never fell too far behind and never coughed up easy scores. Waterford coughed up a few easy scores from mistakes, but Kilkenny never lost composure. Then at the end when we criminally retreated back to defence (and I could see poor Dan screaming at the players to get back up the pitch) Kilkenny kept the heads and managed to grab a match saving goal. Great character, composure, intelligence was shown to keep playing like they did until the end and it paid off.

The replay is every bit as hard to call as the first game. I'd probably pip for Waterford, but I'm sure there's a bit of bias in there. Whatever happens I'm hoping for another game of similar quality anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Where was Dan when he was screaming? In the middle of the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Fair play to Waterford they really were outstanding yesterday and really should have won the game. They went man for man for 60-65 minutes and showed how good a side they are but unfortunately (for them anyway) they slipped back to old habits and in the end it cost them the game. The irony is that KK didn't ever look like scoring or even creating a goal chance until they pulled the sweeper back. I thought the WD back were excellent and completely snuffed out the threat of the KK forwards, and up front Gleeson and Mahony were excellent and they had one of those days where everything they hit turned to gold.

From our own point of view I thought it was a really poor performance but to there credit they kept battling and never gave up even when we looked dead and buried!! Kieran Joyce was badly exposed at centre back and should have been taken off a lot earlier as WD really went to town on him!! To be fair to Joyce he wasn't the only one who had a bad day at the office yesterday and he's never let us down in the past. You can't expect to win a game when 5 of your starting forwards play well below there best and if not for Richie Hogan's brilliance (first half especially) we would have been in real trouble. But in saying all that we lived to fight another day and that's a credit to the spirit of the players and management. It will be very interesting to see what changes are made for the next day, the 2 subs I felt made a big difference and I think a place will have to be found in the team for Lester Ryan, who I think was very harshly dropped in the first place. I've seen it said in a few places that there is a lack of quality on the KK bench but I honestly believe there are the players there, I just think there's either a lack of belief or willingness to give some of these guys a chance.

Joyce may have been hindered by a clothes line type tackle around the neck, but he appeared to miss a few tackles when Waterford players came though the middle, but Fennelly did also, as they either swerved around them or moved the ball quickly before the tackle.

Hogan was immense all though, and any time there was a chance he was going to break through with his jinking, the Waterford players bundled him to the ground - one sideline incident where he was dragged/pushed/fallen on, and no free given. Another incident, with Walter Walsh when he was coming though on the Waterford endline, he was body wrestled to the ground, and the referee gave a free out.

I do not agree with some comments that the half back line was destroyed. Apart from Joyce, Buckley and Walsh did ok as Waterford's plan was to run at them with pace, and that is always hard to deal with, particularly if there is a gap through the centre, which Gleeson is usually tasked to take on. Perhaps Mick Fennely could have been moved to centre-back or centre-forward to stop the runs, but he looked a bit off the pace and was side-stepped at times.

Could Lennon be brought in at centre-back, but he is an option off the bench for corner-back or his best position at full-back. Lester should be on the next day. Kilkenny need 2 pacy forwards, and we had some of these in action with the Intermediates, but maybe need a bit of bulking up. Walshe, Bolger, Cleere, Morrissey, and a few others have the ability and will eventually make it, but it looks like Brian will settle for his present panel, apart from going with not a fully match-fit Ger Alyward. If Blanchfield could get it together, in full flow he would be unstopable as he has all the physical and hurling attributes.

For the replay, we expect Brian to pull another rabbit out of the bag, but most of all we expect some of the big guns, who underperformed, to polish up their game and intensity.

To be fair to Waterford, they played a blinder, and were very unlucky to not win it through, but Kilkenny did a houdini and salvaged the draw through pure will and bravery and never-say-die attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭blue note

Where was Dan when he was screaming? In the middle of the field?

I get the impression you've made some point here that's gone completely over my head so I'll just answer literally. He was on the sideline by the 45. I wasn't far behind him.

That dropping back just killed is, it was so hard to watch. Suddenly kk were allowed to carry the ball to almost the 65 and drop it in. Suddenly the ball was spending a lot of time near our goal and eventually it broke for you. But, hopefully we learned something from it at least.

• Advertisement

The analysis that Waterford lorded hit is very lazy. KK came back twice from 3 points down in the first half and from 5 points in the second half, scored 1-21, and had the last chance to win the game. The team was most definitely not absent and we were always well in the game.

It was a joke alluding to the fact he spent most of the game on the field. As the saying goes if you have to explain it it's not a good joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

As I feared if Waterford went 15v15 they'd really trouble us. I never thought McGrath would have the balls to go for it and fair play to him it made for an excellent game, a game Waterford should have won and that didn't surprise me because the have some genuine talent that was been shackled by the sweeper system up to now but that you could see in their U21 games. From what I can tell as well the falling back was an instinct from the players rather than a call from the sideline, weather that came from a mindset of "let's protect this lead" or tired legs or a combination of both it cost them the game in the end. Some of our players were very poor now a lot of that can be put down to how well Waterford tackled harassed and harried our lads. When we did it to them the had 2 or 3 lads supporting out side the tackle group and could off load whereas when our lads were surrounded he maybe had one option maybe two at most and this meant we coughed up a lot of possession. That can be attributed to Waterford but I would blame our lads for not working hard enough to support the player in possession and this ultimately allowed Waterford a foothold which they stamped all over for 60 mins.

Player ratings
    Eoin Murphy 8 did what was needed of him but didn't have a whole lot to do.
    Paul Murphy 7 made one or two errors and wasn't tight enough to his man for a few of their points, he came into the game but never dominated he's man as he often does.
    Joey Holden 8 didn't have masses of work to do but did it well
    Shane Prendergast 8 same as Joey
    Padraig Walsh 7 was very poor in the first half where I would give him a 4 but in fairness he got going second half he didn't follow O Mahony across the pitch tight enough which lead to a lot of first half scores.
    Kieran Joyce 6 was exposed but wasn't getting the usual help from midfield
    Cillian Buckley 7 much like Walsh he wasn't good enough in the first half but came into it in the second half I wouldn't be down on him for the wide he was right to have a shot the forwards were winning nothing at the time.
    Conor Fogarty 7 didn't get as involved as we're used to seeing him but did get two savage points in each half.
    Michael Fennelly 5 looked tired from the start struggled to get involved and wasn't as strong as we usually see him
    Wally Walsh 8 put in some serious shift and caught some great ball but was often isolated and struggled to off load it to a lad in a good position.
    TJ Reid 6 the only reason he doesn't get a 5 is because of his frees, which were excellent. He hasn't been great all year and needs to up the work rate and then things will start to come off for him.
    J Power 4 other than a great catch and charge for go which drew a free did nothing I can remember
    Jojoe Farrell 3 only touched the ball once, an offload from Wally on the wing swung for a point but was easily blocked he did very little else and Connors had his number.
    Colin Fennelly 5 scored a decent point set up the goal and made some good runs but was anonymous for far too long
    Richie Hogan 8 kept us in it in the first half with some superb points was constantly fouled in the second half. He went for a silly shot which went wide in the second half when Padraig Walsh was free inside the 45 with no player within 30 yards of him he could easily have got a point if not driven for goal at time we were struggling for scores.
    Eoin Larkin 7 did well when he came on and got stuck in scored a nice point
    Lester Ryan 6 struggled to get into the pace of it but put in the tackle that allowed Wally gain possession for the goal.

Over all Waterford were immense everything went right for them up to the last 10 mins. In the last 15 mins we out scored them 1-3 to two points both frees I think. If they had a stayed up front they would have won.

So there is only one question to be answered which team can improve more?

Personally I think most of our lads can only play better than they did yesterday other than Richie and Wally who could be better if they had more support. If we stop the crazy blind cross/back handpasses to no one when running at the goal it would be a big help we most have done it 4 or 5 times drove me insane. I think Waterford could possibly play a little bit better but we have huge room to improve the question is will we?

Joyce may have been hindered by a clothesline pull around the neck, but he appeared to miss a few tackles when Waterford players came though the middle, but Fennelly did also, as they either swerved around them or moved the ball quickly before the tackle.

Hogan was immense all though, and any time there was a chance he was going to break through with his jinking, the Waterford players bundled him to the ground - one sideline incident where he was dragged/pushed/fallen on, and no free given. Another incident, with Walter Walsh when he was coming though on the Waterford endline, he was body wrestled to the ground, and the referee gave a free out.

I do not agree with some comments that the half back line was destroyed. Apart from Joyce, Buckley and Walsh did ok as Waterford's plan was to run at them with pace, and that is always hard to deal with, particularly if there is a gap through the centre, which Gleeson is usually tasked to take on. Perhaps Mick Fennely could have been moved to centre-back or centre-forward to stop the runs, but he looked a bit off the pace and was side-stepped at times.

Could Lennon be brought in at centre-back, but he is an option off the bench for corner-back or his best position at full-back. Lester should be on the next day. Kilkenny need 2 pacy forwards, and we had some of these in action with the Intermediates, but maybe need a bit of bulking up. Walshe, Bolger, Cleere, Morrissey, and a few others have the ability and will eventually make it, but it looks like Brian will settle for his present panel, apart from going with not a fully match-fit Ger Alyward. If Blanchfield could get it together, in full flow he would be unstopable as he has all the physical and hurling attributes.

For the replay, we expect Brian to pull another rabbit out of the bag, but most of all we expect some of the big guns, who underperformed, to polish up their game and intensity.

To be fair to Waterford, they played a blinder, and were very unlucky to not win it through, but Kilkenny did a houdini and salvaged the draw through pure will and bravery and never-say-die attitude.

Yeah I'd agree with a lot of what you say here. I think the 2 wing backs did well, there distribution was a little off at times but still hurled well.

I think Lennon would do a job at centre back but you'd wonder does Cody see it like that, if he did you'd imagine he's have brought him on yesterday but you never know with Cody, and in fairness to Joyce he's the type of hurler that could come out next week and have a stormer!!

How far from full fitness is Ger Alyward? I thought he was out for the year. Would love to see someone like Walsh or Blanchfield tried as they have great potential but that maybe throwing them in at the deep end a bit.

It'll be interesting to see what Cody does for the replay, will he delay naming the team until just before throw in like he did in the replay against Galway in 2014?

It'll be interesting to see what Cody does for the replay, will he delay naming the team until just before throw in like he did in the replay against Galway in 2014?

And that was the match where Conor Fogarty played midfield for KK for the first time if I remember correctly!

I'd be shocked if John Power wasn't dropped, but I would like to see JohnJoe Farrell start again. Not sure though who I would like to replace Power... Lester Ryan or Eoin Larkin.

And that was the match where Conor Fogarty played midfield for KK for the first time if I remember correctly!

I'd be shocked if John Power wasn't dropped, but I would like to see JohnJoe Farrell start again. Not sure though who I would like to replace Power... Lester Ryan or Eoin Larkin.

Yeah that was that game alright and I think Tommy started wing forward if memory serves my correct!

Yeah he was really really poor yesterday and bar one catch did nothing of note!! I'd start Lester ahead of him the next day, Larkin made a big difference when he came on and could be a good option off the bench if we're struggling next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Fair play to Waterford they were the better team for 65 minutes, but to be fair to our lads they showed some character to come back and get the draw, also did anybody else find it strange that we rarely put the ball in to the full forward line? I can only remember 1 occasion it went in, waterfords full back line had very little to do which hopefully will change next Saturday.

The rating for Murphy is too high. Badly wasted 2 long range frees and a hospital pass to Buckley for the 3rd one

The rating for Murphy is too high. Badly wasted 2 long range frees and a hospital pass to Buckley for the 3rd one

I just wanted to mention one more incident with Eoin Murphy that left me with my heart in my mouth.. See the photo below...
    Waterford played a high ball in, and Murphy came off his line to compete for it.... like what he did against Clare in the League semi-final. Murphy didn't catch it, but the Waterford player didn't connect with it either. Thankfully the ball broke to another KK player and was cleared. Crazy from Murphy.

1197813.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

blue note wrote: »
    Well I'm glad to say I was wrong with the above post anyway. I never imagined we'd line out as a traditional 15. Aside from the additional attacking options, the 3 man full forward line stopped any short puck outs. Walter Walsh did great in the air I thought and his offloading was excellent, but not having Paul Murphy and co playing the ball up the pitch took pressure off our defence.

I thought before the game how much we were being written off was insane. Basically after one bad half of hurling in the last 2 years we went from being a lot of people's tip for the AI to having zero chance against KK. It made no sense to me. Now, I still fancied Kilkenny slightly for the game - I thought we'd repeat our tactics (and wides) from the Wexford game, but even with a defensive system I still felt we had the players to potentially win it. But having gone traditional we really should have seen it out.

In the last couple of years a few people have said that Kilkenny aren't actually way ahead of everyone else any more. When Gerlock called them functional beyond belief there was actually a compliment in there and Kilkenny really showed it yesterday. Kilkenny were outplayed for most of the match yesterday but never fell too far behind and never coughed up easy scores. Waterford coughed up a few easy scores from mistakes, but Kilkenny never lost composure. Then at the end when we criminally retreated back to defence (and I could see poor Dan screaming at the players to get back up the pitch) Kilkenny kept the heads and managed to grab a match saving goal. Great character, composure, intelligence was shown to keep playing like they did until the end and it paid off.

The replay is every bit as hard to call as the first game. I'd probably pip for Waterford, but I'm sure there's a bit of bias in there. Whatever happens I'm hoping for another game of similar quality anyway.
    Agree with all of that bluenote, couldn't believe the way Waterford were written off either. That was some performance from your lads and ye really should have won.

I think we're going to find it very difficult to turn things around in six days, it's hard to address so many problems in such a short space of time. When we won replay's in the past we had a few weeks between games to sort things out.Was it a six or seven day turnaround in 2013 when Dublin beat us in the replay???

I'm just hoping that Waterford had one of those days when almost everything went right for them and that we had an off day but I'm not too sure about that...time will tell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement