Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

They were class scores yesterday by Ritchie its only a man like him would have the confidence to go for it, also the treatment that Walter Walsh got yesterday in the second half was terrible off the ball there was a lad sent off in the minor match for less.

Well from where I was sitting he gave as good as he got and if anything was the instigator in the first half. Nothing in it either way and if either of them couldn't handle it then it would say more about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SanPel2016

Does a win for Kilkenny on Saturday night mean the 5th round of club games will be pushed back til after the All Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The rating for Murphy is too high. Badly wasted 2 long range frees and a hospital pass to Buckley for the 3rd one

Yeah I actually meant to downgrade that for the missed long range frees and the other post about coming out on Joey and the Waterford attacker was criminal he should have learned his lesson v Clare I'd have him a 6.5 as a result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

We really, really got out of jail today.

Waterford were immense; they were by far the better team.

Fair play to the lads though for hanging on in there and getting the goal. I couldn't see us getting one at any stage, and we weren't going to be able to peg back Waterford by just getting points.

Serious balls from Conor Fogarty to go for the point and get the equaliser. And as well from the lads to work it up to halfway and pass it to him. Anyone of them could have taken the easy option and just thumped it up the field.

Top spot by Paul Murphy though. Most corner backs in that position would have whacked it as hard and as high as possible into the the full forward line. Murphy saw Paul Murphy free and Paul Murphy saw Conor free and he had the confidence to trust him. If you look at Conor's shot, there are 2/3 Waterford players converging on him so it was a super super score with time up and the pressure on.

Well worked score under pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

It'll be interesting to see what Cody does for the replay, will he delay naming the team until just before throw in like he did in the replay against Galway in 2014?

The rule now is he has to give some kind of team in advance. He can still make changes before the game but he can't delay a la 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I had the best seat I've ever had anywhere yesterday. Waterford had two men in the full forward line, not three.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

I had the best seat I've ever had anywhere yesterday. Waterford had two men in the full forward line, not three.

Waterford definitely started with three full forwards, which surprised me, but then withdrew the right corner forward, leaving Shane Prendergast the free man. I was on Hill 16. After that the other full-backs followed their men for a while.

It will be interesting to see if Waterford go for the same game plan which worked (almost) for them yesterday or revert to their previous cautious approach. Perhaps between 2 stools they may fall, and that happens too.

Whatever approach they take, Kilkenny have been forewarned, and cody will be looking at ways to counteract whatever tactics Waterford bring, and, as usual, and necessarily, expect a rejigging of the Kilkenny forwards and one or two changes.

By the way, who got Man-of-the-match - Hogan or Gleeson?

Waterford definitely started with three full forwards, which surprised me, but then withdrew the right corner forward, leaving Shane Prendergast the free man. I was on Hill 16. After that the other full-backs followed their men for a while.

It will be interesting to see if Waterford go for the same game plan which worked (almost) for them yesterday or revert to their previous cautious approach. Perhaps between 2 stools they may fall, and that happens too.

Whatever approach they take, Kilkenny have been forewarned, and cody will be looking at ways to counteract whatever tactics Waterford bring, and, as usual, and necessarily, expect a rejigging of the Kilkenny forwards and one or two changes.

I think Mahony got it on The Sunday Game and Gleeson got it on Sky...I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Just want to say it is brillant to follow this never say die kilkenny team.yes some players were poor yesterday yes everything waterford hit up until the last 15 went over.but they kept going right to the end.see alot of posters on other sites are righting mick fennelly off(foolish in the extreme)woyld like blanchfield to take alook at gleeson because I feel he has the same ability as gleeson but he hss to go and show it.blanchfield bolger or walsh for me should start ahead of john power.

• Advertisement

Anyone know if ger alwyard could be fit?

Any surprises on the team for Saturday do yous think?
    Full back line as a unit was ok. Waterford had a couple of half goal chances but the were closed down and were put under pressure. Eoin Murphy was ok but he was a bit rash with a couple of long distance frees.

Half back line were dominated for the most part. Waterford dominated the high ball and went after our strongest line. A good ploy by Waterford. ''Hammer the Hammer'' as Tom s O'S would say!! Cillian and Padraig were put under serious pressure and were constantly on the back foot. Kieran was struggling through the game and Cody had to do something before the game finally got away from us. Will Conor Fogarty start at 6 on Saturday or do we need a bigger physical presence in there. Waterford's intensity was unreal but will they dominate this line again? - hard to know! I can't see us being 'bullied' out of it again in the middle third.

Midfield was overpowered with lads running at them at pace and power, breaking the first tackle. To their credit, the 2 lads scored 3 crucial points between them which was a decent return. Mick seemed to be off the pace but when you look at the high standards he sets, that's understandable.

The forwards worked hard but were 'outworked' by the D ise. I think it was a case of the Waterford lads working harder than they have ever worked before and for once, outfought us. TJ wasn't in the game really in open play but his free taking etc. was unreal, as usual. Walter was in and out of the game but got the crucial goal when it mattered at the death. I thought Colin was hit and miss but hung in there - got a good point but sometimes, I'm expecting a total performance form him as he has the talent. In fairness to JJ, not much ball went into his corner and like an U12B game, the first sub is always the corner forward. Larks did well when he can in and showed a bit of bite which was required at that time of the game. John Power, apart from a catch, in front of me on the Cusack side was poor. He never got on the ball at all. Richie Hogan in fairness, like the Galway game, kept us in it from play in the first half. Such a magician with sliotar in hand.

So where does that leave us know? Another day out obviously!! I can't see us being out fought again. In every ruck, a Waterford man came out with the ball. They battled hard for it and wanted it. We seemed to wait to seem what was happening. If the hunger is better in any way, we'll break even in this department next Saturday and it'll make a huge difference.

The one worry is that they will be confident to target the skies again but will they be so dominant. I'm not so sure. They seemed, like the rucks, to gain the majority of balls in the air and break the tackle at pace. I can't see Walsh, Buckley and Joyce or whoever it is in there being dominated in the same way. They will have the fire in the bellies to make sure that this doesn't happen. As an aside to this, will Gleeson play at 11 again or will Mc Grath change it to spring another surprise?

Our forwards need to up the workrate and intensity again to match their intensity. Can they bring the same intensity to the game again? At the final whistle yesterday, a few of the D ise lads were out on their feet - now whether that was through sheer exhaustion or just a collective disappointment that they didn't win is hard to now. Either way, they will have to replicate that intensity for 74 or 75mins next Saturday. Our lads will definitely work a lot harder. I think we need more scores from the forwards - over reliant on Richie. More lads need to produce the goods in scoring terms. 1-21 is good but I think it's be good if a few of the lads chipped in with 3 or 4 points each from play. I know JJ was a regular scorer throughout so far and, as I said, 21 pts is a good return but I'd like the pressure off Richie a bit.

Can Waterford hit the scores that they hit yesterday again in Thurles? Apart from that last 5 mins, everything they hit, form all angles and distances, were unreal in fairness. Serious shooting. Their shot selection was very good for the most part also. Can Mahony be as accurate again?

Only 2 subs used - Lester may come in on Saturday in midfield? He, in my opinion, hasn't done much wrong up to now and would have been disappointed to be on the bench. Eoin Larkin wasn't up to his usual high standard in the past few games but made a good difference when he joined the action yesterday. Will he start in place of John Power/JJ? Outwith that, are there any other changes that could be made upfront? Have we anybody on the bench that could change a game?

It'll be an interesting week, that's for sure. In general terms, that was the game that hurling was crying out for, so fair play to KK and the Cats. A game full of honestly, skill and strength and the chance to do it all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

One thing on tj, given that he was out of the game from open play i thought he showed some bottle on those frees. Much tougher to hit a free under that pressure when you're not involved in the game in open play

One area we need to improve on is giving away frees.waterford scored more from frees than kilkenny.our full back line were only breached once and padraig got back.we had 2 passengers in power and jj and colins touch was poor.another scoring forward or 2 and we win.surely blanchfield or bolger should get a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

They have to line up 15 on 15 for the throw in, they went straight to two man full forward line when they got a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

danganabu wrote: »
    Well from where I was sitting he gave as good as he got and if anything was the instigator in the first half. Nothing in it either way and if either of them couldn't handle it then it would say more about them.
    He got a yellow card where I was sitting in the second half he was been targeted for a second yellow, at one stage the lines man was trying to get the refs attension he kept his cool it must have sickened Glesson when he got the goal.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Just want to say it is brillant to follow this never say die kilkenny team.yes some players were poor yesterday yes everything waterford hit up until the last 15 went over.but they kept going right to the end.see alot of posters on other sites are righting mick fennelly off(foolish in the extreme)woyld like blanchfield to take alook at gleeson because I feel he has the same ability as gleeson but he hss to go and show it.blanchfield bolger or walsh for me should start ahead of john power.
    When Conner Martin is in front of Bolger it tells its own story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

They have to line up 15 on 15 for the throw in, they went straight to two man full forward line when they got a chance.

Practically every puck out the three full forwards pushed up on their men....forcing kk to puck out long

It did seem to catch them somewhat unaware (and many waterford supporters tbf)

I could see possibly someone dropping back from midfield etc to take possession of puck outs?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

minty81 wrote: »
    One thing on tj, given that he was out of the game from open play i thought he showed some bottle on those frees. Much tougher to hit a free under that pressure when you're not involved in the game in open play
    most of the frees were straight forward in all fairness,now Mahony's free taking was sublime huge points from the placed ball in a team that was supposed to be beat out the gate ,now that's pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

As far as TJ is concerned, up to two matches ago in my opinion he was playing the best hurling in the country bar none. Let's hope he gets his mojo back.

As regards puck-outs neither team were very successful at securing good possession from their own puck-outs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭droppingball

Watched the match back last night and we were completely out Kilkennyed. We have been strangling the life out of teams for years and Waterford managed to do it to us on Saturday. The thing is we didn't seem to be able to fight fire with fire. All the talk before the game was of how we should win this easily, it has to have effected the players. But they know that there are not up against the kids of 2015 any longer and this is a serious Waterford team. Its bad reflection of where we are if we were flat due to complacency but I hope that we can up our game and its not a sign of tiredness.

Eoin Murphy needs to stay on his line for those high balls, he needs to trust Joey in the one one situation and if the forward wins the ball he has to trust Joey can recover and make a block. He keeps using Joey for leverage and its a lottery after that.

The full back line actually held up fairly well which was a positive we can take from the game. Shane Bennett will offer more next week so hopefully we can keep it as tight back there.

The half back line had its toughest day yet, Waterford attacked us down the centre and Kieran Joyce had is hands full as it was with Gleeson. The other tactic was to hit every puckout to the Brick with Mahony coming around on the loop. If they do this again Padraig Walsh will have to follow him.

We lost the midfield battle hands down and we had no foothold in this area, hopefully Michael Fennelly can summon up the energy for a big one next week.

Thought Colin Fennelly looked dangerous for the first ten minutes before quietening for the rest of the game. Tj was unreal on the frees and poor from open play but I am confident we will get more from him. Walter worked hard but Gleeson annoyed him all day and never really let Wally get any momentum going. Richie was top class and we will need to leave him centre forward and see will it entice De Burca to come out the field. Jonjo spent the day hassling backs but never got much ball or got on anything that came in. John Power got on more ball when moved out the field but was bullied on a few occasions.

On the whole we let Waterford dictate terms, they won the rucks and the aerial battle and worked harder to break tackles and win loose ball. They hunted us down in threes which is something we normally do resulting in turnovers or poor ball delivery. I can think of numerous times John Power, Kieran Joyce couldn't break tackles and were turned over. Michael Fennelly couldn't pumped the legs and break through and when he did his energy was gone and he gave some poor handpasses. TJ was bullied out on the sideline and turned over leading to a monster score from Mahony, at this point the tide was turning and the crowd were behind them and the game was slipping.

From here though the team showed unbelievable spirit and determination to grind it out when everything was crumbling. I have to say I was proud to be a Kilkenny man as I watched them fight with everything to get it going. Said it all that two lads that were struggling in Colin and Walter manufactured the goal, says it all about this teams character. Its for that reason why I believe they will fight fire with fire and with Cody finding the right blend I think we can turn it around and get the win.

We will need to work the ball through crowds with better support play to give our full forward line a chance on Saturday as we gave nothing of any quality in to them due to Waterford pressure on Sunday. I can see Larkin and Lester starting the next day and I think we will be in for a very fiery match as Kilkenny will be eager to dictate terms this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I wouldn't underestimate the effect of being universally written off on Waterford. They really had nothing to lose. Hence the throwing caution to the wind and playing 15 on 15. I also wouldn't underestimate how this also got in on the Kilkenny team. The talk all week was of how much we were going to win by/how were Waterford going to keep the score down. They're only human. It has to have gotten to them, hence the flatness in a lot of our lads. I wouldn't blame the gap between the Leinster final. We've dealt adequately with that many times before.

There's two questions. Can we (as in those who were below their normal high standard) up the performance? I think we can and I'd be expecting a backlash and a big one at that. These guys are multiple AI winners. They want to play in another All Ireland and know they're one game away. They'll know a repeat of last Sunday won't do if they want to be playing the first Sunday in September. I don't subscribe to this 'going to the well too often' rubbish. FFS this was their third championship match this season.
    The other question is can Waterford reach the heights of last week. In fairness they out fought us especially up front. This was one of the best Waterford performances in living memory. They still though came up short. In fact Murphy should have put that ball over the bar to win the match. Fogartys strike was more difficult. There were Waterford players collapsing at the final whistle. This game will take a huge physical toll and more importantly a serious psychological toll on them. Given I expect Kilkenny to up their game, Waterford in turn will have to raise theirs. Can they do that?

I don't recall ANY TALK ALL WEEK AS TO HOW MUCH WE WERE GOING TO WIN BY. Leave that talk for this Saturday!

A change in the forward line will be required just to offer something different, I would go with TJ, Richie Hogan and Lester in half forward line to give us a foothold with Jonjo Farrell, Colin fennelly full and Walter on Noel Connors in the corner. They may switch there match ups but it would make them think. I can't see Cody springing anyone from bench, if Liam Blanchfield was going well in training it might be worth exploring.

Larkin will start in place of Jonjo

Sorry I actually agree with that, think Larkin and Lester will start in place of JJ and John Power.

unrealtime wrote: »
    I don't recall ANY TALK ALL WEEK AS TO HOW MUCH WE WERE GOING TO WIN BY. Leave that talk for this Saturday!

I think it was 2 fold - in the media and in the 'general' Gaa people who just look at results and say...sure it'll be KK again.

Second point is that Waterford were outgunned badly by Tipp in previous game. A lot of people think 'Well it'll happen again', whereas we know that a team taking a beating like that is a wounded animal and have pride in themselves and their county. They will come back stronger when they are written off. They are a serious team and results have testified to this.

No matter how good a team is, they will always get caught out once. That's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Its been announced that James Mcgrath will take a 70 minute break from the sunbed to referee the replay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Hard to know how the replay will go. You would imagine that Derek McGrath would be telling his players that if they put in a similar performance, they will win. Cody will be telling his players that they allowed Waterford to bully them. As I have said before, the players touch was not as good as it should be in training last week. Whether this was down to not being fully focused is hard to say. I would stay with Joyce but I think the half back needs more assistance and Fogarty is best placed to do this from a freer role in midfield. I would take a chance on Liam Blanchfield instead of Jonjo Farrell and Eoin Larkin instead of John Power but either way we are going to require forward substitutes to keep the energy levels high. I would go with TJ Reid at full and Richie Hogan at centre forward

• Advertisement

KK won't get too many frees so.

Don't buy the complacency angle at all tbh, KK have been in that situation so many times before and delivered why would last week be any different.

If I was a KK supporter I would be concerned enough, they looked flat and one or two in particular looked very ''leggy'', it had an eeringly similar look to 2013, where the previous years battles with Tipp had left them drained and they cut each others throats.

The 6 day turnaround for a team with so many miles on the clock also has to be a huge concern. The big question for me is are Waterford going to be deflated having thrown everything at KK and having the game there for the taking and not closing the deal, or will that performance actually give them confidence and a belief that they can beat KK.

One thing that really impressed me about KK was how they kept their cool and stayed in the game when all around them was going wrong and so many forwards misfiring, obviously Walter Walsh's goal will be seen as a huge moment, but I felt that it was in the first half when Waterford were flying but couldn't ever get enough daylight between them and KK was where KK stayed in this AI, a lesser team would have panicked or crumbled.

KK won't get too many frees so.

Why would you want too many, surely just the right amount?

Maybe if Cody publicly attacks him after the match he will never be appointed for a KK championship match again :p

Anyone know if training is open to the public this week. I presume training will be on Tuesday and Thursday?

Looking forward to saturday.everyone is saying were not as good waterford are the coming team. tipp would hammer us etc etc.hope our lads can raise the bar again and keep all the begruders at bay.crap like morans non point should have stood really annoys me.remember jamsie o connor saying the square ball vwaterford in 13 in thurles(pity it had to be chalked off)shows back then how some people want us beat at all costs

• Advertisement

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Looking forward to saturday.everyone is saying were not as good waterford are the coming team. tipp would hammer us etc etc.hope our lads can raise the bar again and keep all the begruders at bay.crap like morans non point should have stood really annoys me.remember jamsie o connor saying the square ball vwaterford in 13 in thurles(pity it had to be chalked off)shows back then how some people want us beat at all costs

I haven't seen or heard a single person say that Tipp would hammer KK??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

blackcard wrote: »
    Anyone know if training is open to the public this week. I presume training will be on Tuesday and Thursday?

Not sure what evenings they are training but I know it is behind closed doors this week.

Not sure what evenings they are training but I know it is behind closed doors this week.

That had a recovery session Monday and pool session Tuesday morning and training Tuesday night I think they're training again Thursday but it could be Friday.

I expect a Leinster double this weekend; Galway should be too good for an untried and callow Tipp team.

I expect a Leinster double this weekend; Galway should be too good for an untried and callow Tipp team.
    To me, Tipp look like the team to beat. The addition of John Mcgrath, Michael Been, Ronan Maher plus playing Brendan Maher in his best position seems to have made a big improvement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

McGrath is quality but the rest.....

Think Ronan Maher is a bit over hyped so far. Didn't do much against Waterford in the U21 but he's only 20. Have no doubt he'll be a quality player but at the minute he's unproven. Jury out on Breen and McCormack still. Breen started like a train but there's something about him that makes me wonder how good he actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

McGrath is quality but the rest.....

Think Ronan Maher is a bit over hyped so far. Didn't do much against Waterford in the U21 but he's only 20. Have no doubt he'll be a quality player but at the minute he's unproven. Jury out on Breen and McCormack still. Breen started like a train but there's something about him that makes me wonder how good he actually is.

Unproven even though at 20 he's 2 Munster senior medals in the locker. I wouldn't be using the u21 defeat as a barometer. Hopefully Breen will get the chance to show you how good he is.

Unproven even though at 20 he's 2 Munster senior medals in the locker. I wouldn't be using the u21 defeat as a barometer. Hopefully Breen will get the chance to show you how good he is.

I don't think its unfair to say Ronan still has a lot to prove, he is definitely a better CB than his brother, therefore we have improved the team from last year, whether we have improved it enough is the question. Munster Medals to be fair are becoming more irrelevant by the week a means to an end is all the Munster Championship has unfortunately been reduced to. Championship hurling started last Sunday.

With that in mind then yes Tipp could be categorised as untested, but all the evidence is there in from of people to form their own views, I certainly think the 2016 model is vastly superior to the flat 2015 model who were depending on the excellence of one or two individuals.

Fully agree with your assessment of Mikey Breen, has been Tipp's best player this year and is an incredible athlete, played full back in last years U21 Munster Semi and gave an absolute exhibition, could hurl anywhere. I don't think anyone could argue that himself and Brendan Maher isn't a better combination that Woody and Shane McGrath from last year.

To me, Tipp look like the team to beat. The addition of John Mcgrath, Michael Been, Ronan Maher plus playing Brendan Maher in his best position seems to have made a big improvement

I think they have a better bench!

Enough about Tipp, need to get over Waterford first

Will Kieran Joyce be centre back Saturday he had a bad day last sunday I say the bad knock he got before half time didn't help him .

Will Kieran Joyce be centre back Saturday he had a bad day last sunday I say the bad knock he got before half time didn't help him .
    I think Joyce will play, I reckon Cody will be looking for his forwards to put more pressure on the Waterford backs and ask Fogarty to drop a bit deeper. Joyce's forte would be contesting high balls with a forward. Instead he is being faced with forwards running at him. In fairness, I think any traditional centre half would struggle faced with this. Fogarty would probably fare better but who would provide the cover that Fogarty currently gives. I don't think there is any other option as Rob Lennon is another traditional style centre half

I think Joyce will play, I reckon Cody will be looking for his forwards to put more pressure on the Waterford backs and ask Fogarty to drop a bit deeper. Joyce's forte would be contesting high balls with a forward. Instead he is being faced with forwards running at him. In fairness, I think any traditional centre half would struggle faced with this. Fogarty would probably fare better but who would provide the cover that Fogarty currently gives. I don't think there is any other option as Rob Lennon is another traditional style centre half

True. I think he will stick with Joyce at 6. He'll be ready for the battle. Waterford dominated the skies last Sunday so hopefully we'll be more competitive there this Saturday. Forwards need to put the Waterford backs on the back foot, up the workrate and get the hooks and blocks in. Waterford got their strikes away far too easy on Sunday.

I get the feeling he will leave Joyce at 6 and we will drop very deep. So have midfield sitting in and half forward line dropping out and try and win the physical exchanges by getting more bodies into rucks.

It seemed to be 3 against 1 in every physical exchange around the middle of the field last weekend. So commit more bodies there and also have more support off the rucks to recycle the ball and move it. When we did win exchanges of breaking ball we tried to drive forward or tried to hit the ball in tight spaces. We need the likes of buckley and padraig walsh dropping off taking a hand pass and moving it forward that way. These will lead to better ball and if the forwards can up the hooks and blocks we would reap the rewards.

Either way I feel there will be a few tactical and personnel changes as Cody normally comes back with something different for a replay.

I think he will change it up also but I don't know how much room he has to make changes. After the '12 and '14 AI's Cody had 3 weeks to get the lads back together have a few training matches, work on things and let lads put there hands up in training for a spot. This time like the draws against Dublin '13 and Galway '14 we only have 6 days to turn those draws around. In the first draw against Dublin '13 we were useless and the same in the replay. To be honest most of that year we were leaden legged and tired and the better teams beat us when we couldn't rise our game. Against Galway in '14 we were coasting and took the eye off the ball and Galway drove at us and got a rake of goals to haul us back for the draw.

For the Dublin drawn match we went out with
    Murphy
    Murphy, JJ, C Fogarty
    Tommy, B Hogan, Joyce
    L Ryan, M Rice
    Buckley, R Power, Larkin
    Wally, R Hogan, C Fennelly
    Subs
    P Hogan for P Murphy 33mins
    TJ for Rice HT
    Taggy for Colin 59mins
    M Ruth for R Power 62mins

The drawn match we lined out with
    Murphy
    C Fogarty, JJ, Jackie
    Tommy, B Hogan, Joyce
    Buckley, R Power
    Wally, M Rice, Larkin
    Taggy, Hogan, TJ
    Subs
    Lester for Buckley 21mins
    C Fennelly for Rice 25mins
    M Ruth for Wally 60 mins
    P Walsh for Jackie 64mins
    G Aylward for TJ 65mins
    The lads in green are in a different positions, Red are new introductions for the replay. So you can see he made 3 personnel changes and moved 5 lads around.

For the games against Galway in '14 we lined out like this for the drawn match.
    Murphy
    Murphy, JJ, B Kennedy
    Joyce, Jackie, Buckley
    Padraig, R Hogan
    Wally, M Kelly, TJ
    Colin, R Power, Larkin
    Subs
    M Walsh for Kennedy 34mins
    Tommy for Wally 43mins
    Taggy for Power 52mins
    Henry for M Kelly 62mins
    B Hogan for Jackie 68mins

The replay we lined out like so
    Murphy
    Murphy, JJ, Jackie
    J Houlden, B Hogan, Buckley
    C Fogarty, R Hogan
    Tommy, Padraig, TJ
    Colin, Taggy, Larkin
    subs
    Herity for Murphy 8mins
    J Power for Colin 52mins
    Lester for C Fogarty 58mins
    Henry for Tommy 62 mins
    Wally for Taggy 68mins

So for the Galway replay he made 5 personnel changes in red and 2 positional switches as we all remember he kept all this under his hat until the last 20 mins before the match. From talking to one of the players about that day he said they went out and did a warm up on the pitch an hour before the game came back into the dressing room and then Cody stuck the team sheet up on the wall and they went up to see if they were playing and where.

Do we have the players to make 3 or 5 changes this year? I can see him moving lads around and the likes and possibly bringing in Lester and Larkin but will we have 7 to 8 changes we had in those games? Do we need to make that many changes or do the lads who started the last day just need a kick in the a*** and a large dose of refocusing. It was largely the same team the easily took care of Dublin and over came Galway well in the end.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement