Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

cul beag wrote: »
    Genuine question for ye, would John Power have shown up consistently in a KK jersey before? I just seem to remember him playing Fitzgibbon for UCC and he didn't really set the world on fire.(Probably bang in 3 goals tomorrow for that now!)

He can get a few cruicial scores and goals every now and then.... But I don't think he works hard enough, I'd almost go as far and say that he is lazy. I was very surprised that he wasn't subbed off last Sunday, and I will be amazed if he starts tomorrow. Of course I could be wrong, and he'll start and have a cracker (I'd be delighted to be wrong in that case! :) ), but no one can argue that he is a very inconsistent player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

He can get a few cruicial scores and goals every now and then.... But I don't think he works hard enough, I'd almost go as far and say that he is lazy. I was very surprised that he wasn't subbed off last Sunday, and I will be amazed if he starts tomorrow. Of course I could be wrong, and he'll start and have a cracker (I'd be delighted to be wrong in that case! :) ), but no one can argue that he is a very inconsistent player.

I agree, I think he is lazy too.

We are in for one or two surprises tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Amberblack

Did he not score 1.1 in an all ireland 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

PaulKK wrote: »
    I agree, I think he is lazy too.
    I don't think that is a valid accusation that can be labelled at any KK player currently playing under Cody. He would not tolerate it.

I do think J Power is limited however in terms of mobility and athleticism. I'd imagine he's an excellent hurler such that he can compensate for that by consistently starting for KK. With so little time on the ball in modern hurling however he is probably finding it especially difficult to get any kind of rhythm going in games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I don't think that is a valid accusation that can be labelled at any KK player currently playing under Cody. He would not tolerate it.

I do think J Power is limited however in terms of mobility and athleticism. I'd imagine he's an excellent hurler such that he can compensate for that by consistently starting for KK. With so little time on the ball in modern hurling however he is probably finding it especially difficult to get any kind of rhythm going in games.

Let me rephrase then. From attending games and seeing him play, in my opinion, he does not work as hard as others at winning his own ball or chasing down his man to win it back.

I noticed him several times at the Leinster final for example standing under a dropping or not chasing the ball down when it breaks.

He's a great hurler, its just frustrating to see that attitude when everyone else is working their socks off.

You've essentially admitted it yourself by saying he lacks mobility and doesn't get on the ball.
    Amberblack wrote: »
    Did he not score 1.1 in an all ireland 2 years ago.

Was that goal not orchestrated by Richie and handed off to John basically in the goal mouth?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

john was a great minor has all the attributes to be a great senior but so far has largely failed to deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Looks like Farrell, Joyce and Power are out and Blanchfield, Bergin and Larkin are in.

No idea how I feel about that. Not inspired anyway but fingers crossed it works

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭blue note

Looks like Farrell, Joyce and Power are out and Blanchfield, Bergin and Larkin are in.

Don't be ridiculous. Cody doesn't do dummy teams. He doesn't get involved in that nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Ladies on rte1 now if anyone is interested in this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

blue note wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous. Cody doesn't do dummy teams. He doesn't get involved in that nonsense.

Your constant attempt at wind ups are pretty embarrassing.

• Advertisement

Whatever about the changes to the forwards, leaving Joyce out is a big call (if true of course).

Typical one-sided refereeing but we expect it now

Bate them ref and all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Mick Fennel gone I reckon judging by how he was taken off. Ligaments gone I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Mick Fennel gone I reckon judging by how he was taken off. Ligaments gone I'd say.

Michael Lester says ankle ligaments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Almost certainly misses the final if true it's hard to see us winning without him

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Kilkenny have to be the best team in the world to support, gave absolutely everything to win that match today. Blanchfield was excellent, another Rabbit out of the hat from Cody!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Good loser

What did ye think of the ref playing almost 6 mins extra time when 3 mins were notified? Unless the wrong time was shown on TV screen.

The last two Waterford frees were dodgy in the extreme.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Good loser wrote: »
    What did ye think of the ref playing almost 6 mins extra time when 3 mins were notified? Unless the wrong time was shown on TV screen.

There was a one minute stoppage for Blanchfield to get treated for the 21 and Kilkenny made a sub in injury time too.

And for the 500,000th time, the time given on the board is minimum, not maximum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Good loser wrote: »

It doesn't matter. Just pop the ball to Richie and the job is oxo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭kk.man

Told you Fogarty or Fennelly be centre back today...great win ..fair play to ALL the players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Mulbert

Topcat32 wrote:
    Kilkenny have to be the best team in the world to support, gave absolutely everything to win that match today. Blanchfield was excellent, another Rabbit out of the hat from Cody!!

Pity ye dont go in droves to support them so.

Mulbert wrote: »
    Pity ye dont go in droves to support them so.

Is that the best you can do? No congratulations, no comment on the game, just a bitter pathetic sad predictable little dig at the fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

kk.man wrote: »
    Told you Fogarty or Fennelly be centre back today...great win ..fair play to ALL the players

The team that keeps on giving. We are such lucky fans to have enjoyed such fabulous performances

Sensational, tremendous, magic.

I love this sport, I love this county.

Mick Fennelly - what can be said... a colossus... what he's gone through to play hurling for his county and that's how he's rewarded - sport can be a bitch.. A legend to his core

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Brillant performance from a brillant team.big thanks to richie hogan who stayed on the field for 30 minutes after the game signing autographs and getting picture taken with fans young and old.also great support from our fans tonight.absolutely fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

unrealtime wrote: »
    Bate them ref and all
    Yes the ref rode KK all day!! Jesus wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Mentally and physically shattered after that one ( how must the players feel) .
    Hard luck to Waterford it could have went either way although I felt we just about deserved it tonight.

What a performance from the brick Walsh tonight, I thought he was terrific, and what about Liam Blanchfield??.. first start in the championship for the young lad and he looked as if he'd been doing it for years. Fair play.

carter10 wrote: »

Oh, careful, your flat cap and pioneer pin might get rattled there sunshine...

Oh, careful, your flat cap and pioneer pin might get rattled there sunshine...
    Couldn't resist could you, obviously I hit a nerve.'Ad hominem' indeed

• Advertisement

Hit a nerve? It didn't even make sense lad. Anyway, I'll just be over by the fire chuckling with my pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Congrats on the win lads. The better team tonight for sure. Not a lot between these teams though, 2 outstanding games in a week. Here's to a great rivalry over the coming years hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Ruptured Achilles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Mulbert

Not having a go at the team just their supporters. It can hardly be denied that as the trophies piled up , the less the crowd turned up.

Hit a nerve? It didn't even make sense lad. Anyway, I'll just be over by the fire chuckling with my pipe.
    As I said struck a nerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Congrats to Kilkenny - gutted but ye deserved it.

I hope fennellys injury isn't too serious.

Good luck in the final

As I said struck a nerve.

And as I said, I still don't actually have a clue what on earth you meant. But you're clearly having a little temper tantrum so I'll let you get on with it.

Was saying it just as I posted this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Was saying it just as I posted this!

Its his achilles, will need surgery.

mushykeogh wrote:
    Ruptured Achilles.

Oh sh1t!

• Advertisement

Really delighted with that performance today, it was a heroic performance from a lot of lads who had let last week pass them by, and more wizardry from Cody to spring blanchfield.

Eoin Murphy of course takes credit for the Michael Jordan impersonation to save the day. Cummins had pointed out earlier in the game his puck out strategy was causing trouble, but he rectified it quickly enough.

I'd need to see the goals again but it seemed to me that in general Holden was being dragged out of position a bit and wasn't always sure if what he was at. Thought Murphy was unbelievable though, and prendergast was solid. But I'd need to watch again...
    Anyway it was further up the field that the real great performances were i thought...

Thought bringing Reid out to the middle of the field really brought him into the game after it largely passed him by last week, he was showing up everywhere, got through an absolute ton of work. Phenomenal. Hogan is just spectacular, you kind of forget at times how stylish he is, there's a real joy to his hurling, when people accuse us of being mechanical or whatever, all you need do is point to his role in the team.

Blanchfield was great too, few mistakes, had goal opportunities that went begging. But you couldn't fault him, very unusual for someone so young to get a chance like this with kk, and he took it. Bergin was much less effective as a few people noted, but he'll have other opportunities.

Colin fennelly, though, what a performance. He's a frustrating player because you always feel he's capable of that kind of thing, think it was last year's league he seemed to be on course to finally driver and become a hurler of the year candidate but it never materialised in championship. He has his great days though, and today was probably the best I've ever seen him. Forgot how young he actually is relatively, until Brennan pointed it out after the match. I think the best is ahead for him.

Sadly the same is probably not the case for his legendary brother. You had to feel for him coming off the field today, needing surgery and knowing his season is over. Speculation is probably inevitable about his career as well, given the injuries, the accumulating pain he has been in the last few years. You don't want to see him go out like that, of course, but wouldn't be shocked if he retired. In the more immediate future, he is a critical, critical loss going into the final.

But anyway, what a great day and great win against what is certainly shaking up to be a great team in Waterford for the coming years. We're a lucky bunch of fans, spoiled to the last, and i think that's made us complacent about it, as it would any other fans. But a day like today is a great reminder of what a unique phenomenon the team and its manager are.

Just after watching the game on RTÉ after coming home from Thurles.

A few observations:
    - We lost so, so many puckouts (mostly to Gleeson). It was insane that Murphy kept thumping the sliotar down into the same area.
    - Colin Fennelly is great at full-forward. Regardless if low or high ball is played into him, he can compete. The only negative is that you lose his work rate and tackling/hooking/blocking skills when that close to goal.
    - Liam Blanchfield had a really good game, got a few scores and made some good contributions. Unfortunately Mark Bergin was a passenger. Just didn't happen for him today. Quite worried that he was left on for so long (a bit like Power being left on for so long last week as well).... Changes should be made quicker. JJ Farrell got stuck in straight away when he came on. He should have been brought on earlier.
    - Conor Fogarty didn't play as good as he normally does (he sets very high standards obviously), but that was probably due to having to play at centre-back. He should be back in midfield for the final.
    - I thought Holden and Prendergast both looked pretty solid today. I'm normally quite critical of them in that they often seem a bit shaky.
    - Even though TJ got on a lot of ball when out in the midfield area, he struggled to get past players when running forward, and he got bottled up a good bit.
    - What a catch by Eoin Murphy at the end.

- MICHAEL FENNELLY IS AN ABSOLUTE LEGEND.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

[QUOTE=Realt Dearg Sec;100669956

more wizardry from Cody to spring blanchfield.

Blanchfield was great too, few mistakes, had goal opportunities that went begging. But you couldn't fault him

.[/QUOTE]

What exaggeration. It's Cody's role to pick the team and he was bound to make changes up front given that two players carried the forward line last week.

There was no "springing" anyone. Change was expected. As you admit yourself (above) the player had a decent game but no more than that really. It was hardly an act of serious wizardry. And any wizardry might be also measured with reference to the success or otherwise of Mark Bergin's inclusion.

But then again it is hardly the time or place for perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭MfMan

Just after watching the game on RTÉ after coming home from Thurles.

A few observations:
    - We lost so, so many puckouts (mostly to Gleeson). It was insane that Murphy kept thumping the sliotar down into the same area.
    - Colin Fennelly is great at full-forward. Regardless if low or high ball is played into him, he can compete. The only negative is that you lose his work rate and tackling/hooking/blocking skills when that close to goal.
    - Liam Blanchfield had a really good game, got a few scores and made some good contributions. Unfortunately Mark Bergin was a passenger. Just didn't happen for him today. Quite worried that he was left on for so long (a bit like Power being left on for so long last week as well).... Changes should be made quicker. JJ Farrell got stuck in straight away when he came on. He should have been brought on earlier.
    - Conor Fogarty didn't play as good as he normally does (he sets very high standards obviously), but that was probably due to having to play at centre-back. He should be back in midfield for the final.
    - I thought Holden and Prendergast both looked pretty solid today. I'm normally quite critical of them in that they often seem a bit shaky.
    - Even though TJ got on a lot of ball when out in the midfield area, he struggled to get past players when running forward, and he got bottled up a good bit.
    - What a catch by Eoin Murphy at the end.

- MICHAEL FENNELLY IS AN ABSOLUTE LEGEND.

Thought Reid was MOTM; directed the play like a playmaker, here, there, popping simple effective passes, always available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Both teams have contributed to rescuing this year's hurling championship, I thought the ref let a bit go on both sides but it added to the ferocity of the contest. If O'Mahoney's free had to go over, I think the referee would have blown it up and we would have gone to extra time. Michael Fennelly will be a huge loss for the final. I imagine Joyce will return at centre back with Fogarty going to midfield and Lester Ryan starting. Liam Blanchfield has to have a good shot at starting the AI, his catch and winning free was pivotal. On the Waterford side, Austin Gleeson and Brick Walsh were phenomenal, Gleeson has to be in the running for poty. Strangely, it would be hard to name a KK player in the running. I have to say that the Waterford supporters around me were class, we disagreed about refereeing decisions but shook hands at the end of the match. Interestingly, they didn't give us a chance against Tipp who they fancy to win it out

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Rosita wrote: »
    What exaggeration. It's Cody's role to pick the team and he was bound to make changes up front given that two players carried the forward line last week.

There was no "springing" anyone. Change was expected. As you admit yourself (above) the player had a decent game but no more than that really. It was hardly an act of serious wizardry. And any wizardry might be also measured with reference to the success or otherwise of Mark Bergin's inclusion.

Yes changes were needed and Liam blanch played very well, but likewise Cody made a mistake with bergin

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

3 weeks to the final and alot of time for players in the panel to put their hand up.but how lucky are we to watch this team

Rosita wrote: »

Sorry, I don't understand, is your whole point here that the word "wizardry" is wrong? Is that the sum of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Tipp v kk final!!, injuries to Galway today before half time proved costly in the end.

Final really is 50-50 game.

• Advertisement

Tipp almost Tipp'd that right up. Thought they looked ordinary but going to take a massive effort for us without Fennelly.

All Irelands against Tipp always mean more. Can't wait.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement