Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Mulbert

dubcat51 wrote:
    Would have barron from waterford in myself and wally.think walter was our stand out player in the league and his performace against galway and waterford in the championship rould get my vote.

I agree, Walsh will definitely get one, then Gleason along with one maybe two, from Barron, Brick, Mahony and Moran,
    in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Welcome and fair dues for getting involved in the discussion.

I would agree Tipp have had very little testing but they can only beat whats in front of them at the same time and while Waterford fell apart in the Munster final I think a lot of the credit there has to go to Tipperary in the first place for ripping them apart particularly at the start of the second half, the last 20-25mins of the game was not a contest, Waterford had given up at that stage. So yes not a lot can be read into the result but a bit can be read into the first 45 mins and Tipp out fought Waterford for most of that. I do think however that Waterford went back and refocused and obviously changed tactics for the semi and were a different animal to what Tipp beat.

I would agree Canning and Touhy could easily have swung that game for Galway or even leaving Coen in midfield would have helped a lot. Galway put it up to Tipp physically and most of them were able for it a few struggled but I would say Galway were also a notch or two better than what we faced in the Leinster final.

As most on here have said there won't be much between them but hopefully two very intense games will have brought us up another level again. If we sharpen up our first touch, bring the same intensity and our shot/pass selection is a bit better we should get past them.

The one thing Tipp think is different this year is there ability to win a close contest. If you look at all our games League and Championship since 09 they either wallop us but if it's close 3-4 points with ten to go we invariably come out on top. I believe the same will apply again because grinding out a win against Limerick and Galway is completely different to grinding out a win against Kilkenny, just ask Waterford.

The only part of your post I don't get is the

Was this fans or the team? I don't remember hearing or reading anything like that. I'm not having a go I just must have missed it.
    I Felt that Tipp's touch was far ahead of Galway's the last day. Galway fluffed too many balls or failed to control balls at vital stages. On the other hand Kilkenny won't have the size factor on their side that the Tribesmen had .I genuinely feel that if we can manage intensity with a bit of craft it will first of all negate Tipp's skill advantage and secondly sow the seed s of doubt in Tipp players' heads re. the physical edge that Ml Ryan has brought to them in the last twelve months. Remember that there is still a doubt about the temperament of Padraig Maher, Brendan Maher, Noel Mc Grath and of course Bubbles(if he's started)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Stripeymen wrote: »
    It was one of the first things Michael lester said last week after tipp bet Galway last wk on the Sunday game. Plus I have been talking to alot of tipp guys lately and that's what they believe. That makes next Sunday all the more interesting as Cyril farrell said "I don't know what tipp will do if they don't win "

Must say I don't know how anyone could say Tipp would have beaten KK had they beat Galway last year. They might have, sure, but can't see any solid basis why they definitely would have. I say that as a Tipp person myself. I'm sure there were some Tipp people felt that way, but can't say I know too many myself anyway.

As for what Cyril says, well I suppose they'll just go away and lick their wounds, regroup and wait for spring, go hard at it again. I dont' know why it should be such a conundrum for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Motivator wrote: »
    That's a statement that is going to come back & haunt you.

We will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

dubcat51 wrote: »
    We will see.

Well I can guarantee it. Joyce is poor, Bonner Maher is the best playmaker in the country & can score as well. Joyce will get the runaround like he did in the semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Well I can guarantee it.

Well that is a statement that could come back and haunt you.

You're as bad as dubcat51 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Well I can guarantee it. Joyce is poor, Bonner Maher is the best playmaker in the country & can score as well. Joyce will get the runaround like he did in the semi final.
    There are at least 3 better play makers on the KK team alone than Bonner Maher.

Remind me.who got mom in the replay in 14 and how much bonner scored😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Well one of ye is going to be awfully quiet on this subject next week.

Personally I think Joyce will be able to keep Bonner quiet but I would also say that Bonner's game is not really about racking up big scores. He's an important playmaker for the Tipp team, something akin to old John Power's role in the 90s for Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

John Power is not old

unrealtime wrote: »
    John Power is not old

He's older than young John power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think yours is an extraordinary one.

Bonner Maher can be an effective player but my god is he limited! His value is mainly of the nuisance variety. I accept he does play with his head up and can lay the ball off to more talented players so Kilkenny need to be wary of players running off him if he does manage to get the ball in his hand.

However, the chap can barely hit the ball with his hurley. I would consider him to be as limited a hurler as there is in the game today. To call him the best anything is laughable, in my opinion. He does play with great heart though and would have to be admired for making a lot out of very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

Ticket got cant wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Only 135 at the club draw tonight. Way down on normal numbers. I hate our fans. Between the ones who don't turn up and the ones booing we're pathetic.

Read last week that the city isn't even decorated in flags and bunting. Has that changed in the last few days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Only 135 at the club draw tonight. Way down on normal numbers. I hate our fans. Between the ones who don't turn up and the ones booing we're pathetic.

Read last week that the city isn't even decorated in flags and bunting. Has that changed in the last few days?

how many tickets did the club get , best thing to do is give everyone that turned up a ticket , if a few people get left out there will be more distributed later in the week keep tabs on everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Haven't seen very much about from bits around Thomastown. In fairness there is still a week to go and because we have been in the final so much in recent years its natural enough that the buzz in the weeks before isn't as strong as it use to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Think we got around 190... 120ish stand and 60-70 terrace

I know the hype won't be as much but surely the council and the businesses should be creating a bit of hype by putting the colours up early...

I know the hype won't be as much but surely the council and the businesses should be creating a bit of hype by putting the colours up early...

sadly the same euphoria dose not seem to be there when it comes to all ireland finals , plus there has been a very low key build up to this years final , in clare 3 years ago the media had to start up a campaign for people to decorate houses ,cars ect.. to get a bit of an atmosphere going around the county i imagine and always imagined an all ireland final build up in kilkenny would be alot more low key then clare

The hoors will be happy enough to get up on the stage in their stupid costumes if the lads win. But that said at this point the lads are chasing history, the interest of casual fans is gone because they feel that this is just the norm. On the one hand it's testimony to how successful they've been, on the other it's a disgrace, but ultimately it's human nature. The players are, quite literally, too good for us.

The hoors will be happy enough to get up on the stage in their stupid costumes if the lads win. But that said at this point the lads are chasing history, the interest of casual fans is gone because they feel that this is just the norm. On the one hand it's testimony to how successful they've been, on the other it's a disgrace, but ultimately it's human nature. The players are, quite literally, too good for us.

yeah but what also needs to be stressed is its not a cheap day out neither is it cheep following a team around the country all year , the championship was terrible all year up until the semi against waterford so it probably an ask to get everyone excited about what is the 4th or 5th all ireland between the same sides in the last 7 years

• Advertisement

yeah but what also needs to be stressed is its not a cheap day out neither is it cheep following a team around the country all year , the championship was terrible all year up until the semi against waterford so it probably an ask to get everyone excited about what is the 4th or 5th all ireland between the same sides in the last 7 years
    True enough, I'm not blaming anyone. We get awful stick for our support but it's human nature, I don't think any other county would be magically any different in their reaction to this level of success, which, I think (maybe some older Kerry fans would correct me) is unprecedented in the history of the gaa.

True enough, I'm not blaming anyone. We get awful stick for our support but it's human nature, I don't think any other county would be magically any different in their reaction to this level of success, which, I think (maybe some older Kerry fans would correct me) is unprecedented in the history of the gaa.

in football you could forgive mayo supporters for giving up for all there near miss's ,but you cant blame either kilkenny or tipp for no hype its the 6th meeting in an all ireland final since 2009 , plus there has been no talk in the national media about next weeks game , infact i imagine there will be more talk about the ireland serbia match next weekend rather then the hurling yet both semi finals were crackers

in football you could forgive mayo supporters for giving up for all there near miss's ,but you cant blame either kilkenny or tipp for no hype its the 6th meeting in an all ireland final since 2009 , plus there has been no talk in the national media about next weeks game , infact i imagine there will be more talk about the ireland serbia match next weekend rather then the hurling yet both semi finals were crackers

I feel a bit repetitive but to me the championship structure is as much to blame, it lends itself to repetition, and it makes the early rounds completely boring. We're shooting ourselves in the foot to preserve tradition. Kept the printers of the old system but none of what made it exciting. The compromise is basically the worst of both worlds. Interesting that the most intense match between these teams this decade, by far, was a qualifier.

What's all this nonsense about lack of support on the part of Kilkenny - tickets not sold and booing. Ye are only feeding a false view of the position.

The truth of the matter is that tickets are hard to come by. I have always found that so. Croke Park will be full to the brim and KK fans will have got their hands on many more tickets than were allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Martin567 wrote: »
    I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think yours is an extraordinary one.

Bonner Maher can be an effective player but my god is he limited! His value is mainly of the nuisance variety. I accept he does play with his head up and can lay the ball off to more talented players so Kilkenny need to be wary of players running off him if he does manage to get the ball in his hand.

However, the chap can barely hit the ball with his hurley. I would consider him to be as limited a hurler as there is in the game today. To call him the best anything is laughable, in my opinion. He does play with great heart though and would have to be admired for making a lot out of very little.

Brian Cody was asked which player from another county he would take a couple of years ago and he mentioned Bonnar Maher. I think I will trust his judgement rather than yours.

There is no one better in hurling at getting the ball in hand from a ruck of players or running at goal and thats before I even mention his unparalleled work rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

Our club has not enough tickets for all the people are going I suppose when you are up the north of the county you are going to come out in force. As regards supporters Kilkenny have two big days out in croke park the next couple of weeks its fairly expensive for families that have to go both days some of them are going either one sunday or the other.

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Brian Cody was asked which player from another county he would take a couple of years ago and he mentioned Bonnar Maher. I think I will trust his judgement rather than yours.

There is no one better in hurling at getting the ball in hand from a ruck of players or running at goal and thats before I even mention his unparalleled work rate.

I don't recall ever reading the highlighted bit.

He works extremely hard but his work rate is certainly not unparalleled, just the level normally expected from Kilkenny under Brian Cody.

I still don't believe he would make the Kilkenny team because he simply doesn't have the hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

In a way I think it's ironic that the best team in other sports wins the league - that is consistent, whether it be soccer or rugby. The GAA is strange in that the league is the 'secondary' competition while the championship (FA Cup etc.) if you like is the main competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

I think your been very harsh here on the Kilkenny fans, some of these fans haven't missed a championship match in years, they go to matches in the early part of championship even when is a foregone conclusion that KK will win, one girl I work with couldn’t eat all week in the lead up to the Waterford replay (she called it the Kilkenny diet), I think KK fans are brilliant, for the amount of success we’ve had over last 20 years the fans still show a huge hunger for more and considering our small population we often match larger counties when it comes to support, when they should have far greater hunger than us. also if you remember the huge support the team got for the homecoming in 2010, this shows the huge appreciation the fans have for the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭thelostboys23

Why does simply turning up or showing colours mean you are a better fan?
    I go to all games and my parents don't so am I a better fan?
    May parents house in town has bunting and flags flying since last week yet my own house has nothing, does that make them better fans?
    People can and do support the team in many different ways and I'm fairly sure there will be plenty of support for the team this week, on sunday and in the years to follow.
    H'on the cats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Remind me.who got mom in the replay in 14 and how much bonner scored😃

Your dad?? Remind me why Kieran Joyce started the replay???

4-15, an all star and AI medal and handed both Brian Hogan and John Teneyson their arses in AI finals, I think the Bonner will be alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

In a way I think it's ironic that the best team in other sports wins the league - that is consistent, whether it be soccer or rugby. The GAA is strange in that the league is the 'secondary' competition while the championship (FA Cup etc.) if you like is the main competition.

The obvious difference is that soccer and rugby have a professional element and GAA is an amateur sport.

GAA players being amateurs have a day job, so in general they will not start to fully train or to reach their peak fitness until the championship comes into focus.

Saying that, developing teams in the GAA will take the league seriously and like to put one over on the so-called kingpins.

The GAA league is also used to develop new players, but all teams would still like to win it out.

The obvious difference is that soccer and rugby have a professional element.

GAA players are amateurs and have a day job, so in general they will not start to fully train or to reach their peak fitness until the championship comes into focus.

Saying that, developing teams in the GAA will take the league seriously and like to put one over on the so-called kingpins.

The GAA league is also used to develop players, but all teams would still like to win it out.

The probably with the last bit is that in hurling esp. 1A, it is very cut throat and therefore very hard to develop players. There are 6 teams who can beat each other on a given day and the margins are very small. Defeat in the 1st game in 1A and the pressure is on straight away for the second game. Maybe a eight game league would suit in 1A and 1B including Westmeath and Carlow etc.

The amount of training these lads do these days means it's almost professional. Everybody is getting paid apart from the players but that's another story!! Lads are in the gym all over the winter nowadays and if involved with club action, they won't get a break at all.

I just find it strange that, imo, that the league usually defines the best team in most other sports - consistently on a regular basis.

Although in saying that, it's hard to beat knock out championship action.

The obvious difference is that soccer and rugby have a professional element.

GAA players are amateurs and have a day job, so in general they will not start to fully train or to reach their peak fitness until the championship comes into focus.

The GAA league is also used to develop players, but all teams would still like to win it out.

The probably with the last bit is that in hurling esp. 1A, it is very cut throat and therefore very hard to develop players. There are 6 teams who can beat each other on a given day and the margins are very small. Defeat in the 1st game in 1A and the pressure is on straight away for the second game. Maybe a eight game league would suit in 1A and 1B including Westmeath and Carlow etc.

The amount of training these lads do these days means it's almost professional. Everybody is getting paid apart from the players but that's another story!! Lads are in the gym all over the winter nowadays and if involved with club action, they won't get a break at all.

I just find it strange that, imo, that the league usually defines the best team in most other sports - consistently on a regular basis.

danganabu wrote: »

4-15, an all star and AI medal and handed both Brian Hogan and John Teneyson their arses in AI finals, I think the Bonner will be alright :D

He might be 'alright' but he's still an incredibly limited hurler.

Limited in what way? There is very little benefit in having 15 flashy, wristy hurler as Cyril would say! 'Limited' is the biggest cliche ever tbh!

I get what you are saying o.k., but look at, for example, Waterford and Clare, who would have started to train early with the league in mind, did indeed meet each other in the league final, and yet are now out of the championship.

Yes, as you say, the present league format does not give much leeway for experimenting with testing out new players, and perhaps an eight game format would be more accomodating in this regard, although too many intercounty matches will interfere with the local club hurling, and we already hear complaints on that aspect without adding to it.

I get what you are saying o.k., but look at, for example, Waterford and Clare, who would have started to train early with the league in mind, did indeed meet each other in the league final, and yet are now out of the championship.

Yes, as you say, the present league format does not give much leeway for experimenting with testing out new players, and perhaps an eight game format would be more accomodating in this aspect, although too many intercounty matches will interfere with the local club hurling, and we already hear complaints on that aspect without adding to it.

I agree it's an interesting topic and, as always, there's constant talk about it and changing the fixture list.

In Ulster, where i'm from, for example in the county football, one simple way of sorting it would be to play 2 games over 1 weekend i.e. one on Saturday evening and Sunday. That would take 1 month out of it straightaway. Other provinces could do the same. This would impinge on nobody and is a simple solution that would give 1 month back to the clubs.

The intercounty scene is the GAA's cash cow and with a new tv deal being put in place again, the club players are left twiddling their thumbs, while others head to America.

John Power is not old

I met the 'original' John Power in a shop in Thurles after one of the matches a couple of years ago,and the guy has not changed a bit. I said to him we could have done with him that day, and he should have brought his gear!

I will always have the memory of him been driven into the wire barrier of Croke Park, and nearly got his finger ripped off - blood everywhere.

He played on - what a man!

Ger Henderson, another one.

No soccer diving from those guys.

• Advertisement

Limited in what way? There is very little benefit in having 15 flashy, wristy hurler as Cyril would say! 'Limited' is the biggest cliche ever tbh!

I only commented on Bonner at all because another poster described him as the best playmaker in the game which i think is ridiculous.

I can see his value to Tipp. They've struggled for ball winners in the forwards for a while and he can certainly be good at that. He is capable of causing damage to Kilkenny if he gathers the ball and gets turned because he is strong and fast. I still wouldn't rate his chances of taking his own score as any better than 50:50 even with nobody near him, simply because his striking is so poor. Eoin Murphy should have saved his goal in the 2014 final as it was very poorly struck.

Under Brian Cody, Kilkenny have always had several players as adept as Bonner at winning the ball but all would have far more ability with the ball in hand. Even Walter Walsh (a likely Allstar this year!), who can be cumbersome and has an awkward grip, might as well be DJ Carey or Eoin Kelly when compared to Bonner.

I only commented on Bonner at all because another poster described him as the best playmaker in the game which i think is ridiculous.

I can see his value to Tipp. They've struggled for ball winners in the forwards for a while and he can certainly be good at that. He is capable of causing damage to Kilkenny if he gathers the ball and gets turned because he is strong and fast. I still wouldn't rate his chances of taking his own score as any better than 50:50 even with nobody near him, simply because his striking is so poor. Eoin Murphy should have saved his goal in the 2014 final as it was very poorly struck.

Under Brian Cody, Kilkenny have always had several players as adept as Bonner at winning the ball but all would have far more ability with the ball in hand. Even Walter Walsh (a likely Allstar this year!), who can be cumbersome and has an awkward grip, might as well be DJ Carey or Eoin Kelly when compared to Bonner.

Agree with your first point, your last point is extreme hyperbole though.

It's nice to see a bit of hyperbole from Kilkenny fans - it's very rare indeed.

It's nice to see a bit of hyperbole from Kilkenny fans - it's very rare indeed.

A very insightful and useful contribution as always, good lad.

Kieron joyce mom in replay 14.bonner scored 0.wonder how joyce got mom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Rarely have I seen Kilkenny fans as pessimistic about their chances going into an AI. Even lads who would be always bullish about winning are now cautious. KK have lost Richie Power, Michael Fennelly and JJ Delaney from the 2014 side whereas Tipp have brought in John McGrath and Michael Breen

• Advertisement

Because Hogan was droped after having his arse handed to him in the drawn game

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

dubcat51 wrote:

Bonner has a poor strike there is no denying that, 1 on 1 through in goal he is also poor. But he is excellent with other aspects such as winning dirty ball, drawing defenders to him and playing others through.
    He is not the best playmaker but he is an excellent hurler.
    I think he was injured for the 14 replay wasn't he? But played anyway, it explained his poor showing that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

blackcard wrote: »
    Rarely have I seen Kilkenny fans as pessimistic about their chances going into an AI. Even lads who would be always bullish about winning are now cautious.

Heh, ye are just taking a leaf out of the book of cute Kerry hoorism. Lulls the opposition into a false sense of security. Then ye go out and hammer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Information please !

How many medals do each team get after a final and what is criterion for distributing these ?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

As Paddy Grace said we have no hope against this mighty Tipp team but we'll turn up to puck out the ball to them anyway. Tipp fans need not despair; game will be over in 15 minutes 😪

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement