Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Martin567 wrote: »
    I agree with your view of Cathal McAllister as a ref. He surely killed any hope he ever had of refereeing semi-finals and finals with his performance in the 2012 semi final.

I wasn't aware of him sending off so many Tipp players recently. He must be still trying to make up for that 2012 match where Padraic Maher made three separate genuine efforts to get a red card but to no avail.;)

3 of the 5 were from Loughmore so maybe its not a Tipp thing but a Loughmore issue :D

All joking aside though I don't for a second think he has an issue with Tipp, but he is just a very very poor referee for inter-county level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Media made a huge frenzy of Henry going for his 10th All ireland senior medal last year. Justifiably so. Worth noting Jackie is going for his 10th all ireland medal which is a phenomenal achievement if he gets to the milestone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Media made a huge frenzy of Henry going for his 10th All ireland senior medal last year. Justifiably so. Worth noting Jackie is going for his 10th all ireland medal which is a phenomenal achievement if he gets to the milestone.
    It was two years ago and all Shefflin's medals were on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

It was two years ago and all Shefflin's medals were on the field.

Not worth mentioning so! 😊
    I can't see Jackie starting, only if things were going well towards the latter stages for KK could I see him coming on.

Medal winners under Cody - on the field :pac:

10 -
    H Shefflin

8 -
    E Brennan
    N Hickey
    J J Delaney
    E Larkin
    R Power

7 -
    M Kavanagh
    T Walsh
    J Tyrrell

6 -
    D Lyng
    M Comerford
    M Fennelly
    T J Reid

5 -
    J McGarry
    A Fogarty
    B Hogan
    R Hogan

4 -
    P Murphy
    C Fennelly

3 -
    P Barry
    C Fitzpatrick
    D J Carey
    A Comerford
    J Tennyson
    PJ Ryan
    R Mullally
    J Hoyne
    K Joyce
    C Buckley

2 -
    P Larkin
    B McEvoy
    J Power I
    C Carter
    J Coogan
    J Ryall
    W O'Dwyer
    E Murphy
    P Walsh
    C Fogarty
    M Rice
    D Herity
    J Power II
    W Walsh

1 -
    W O'Connor
    E Kennedy
    D Byrne
    C Brennan
    P Mullally
    S Dowling
    C Phelan
    J Mulhall
    L Ryan
    G Aylward
    J Holden
    S Prendergast

Total - 55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

10 -
    H Shefflin

8 -
    E Brennan
    N Hickey
    J J Delaney
    E Larkin
    R Power

7 -
    M Kavanagh
    T Walsh
    J Tyrrell

6 -
    D Lyng
    M Comerford
    M Fennelly
    T J Reid

5 -
    J McGarry
    A Fogarty
    B Hogan
    R Hogan

4 -
    P Murphy
    C Fennelly

3 -
    P Barry
    C Fitzpatrick
    D J Carey
    A Comerford
    J Tennyson
    PJ Ryan
    R Mullally
    J Hoyne
    K Joyce
    C Buckley

2 -
    P Larkin
    B McEvoy
    J Power I
    C Carter
    J Coogan
    J Ryall
    W O'Dwyer
    E Murphy
    P Walsh
    C Fogarty
    M Rice
    D Herity
    J Power II
    W Walsh

1 -
    W O'Connor
    E Kennedy
    D Byrne
    C Brennan
    P Mullally
    S Dowling
    C Phelan
    J Mulhall
    L Ryan
    G Aylward
    J Holden
    S Prendergast

Total - 55

Phenomenal ðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What counts as 'on the field'?

Game time during the AI final, or at any stage during the championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

brookville wrote: »
    Wonder will KK start with the players dropped for semi.

I have doubt Joyce will be definate starter
    unlikely jackie will start although someone like rob lennon could who knows

Although Lennon played in the corner V Galway, i'd have thought he'd be a more 'central' type of player.

I suppose the key issues from a Kilkenny point of view are;

1. Who will start at No. 6?
    2. Who will play midfield with I presume, Conor Fogarty? - Lester or will TJ start there?
    3. Will Liam Blanchfield start?
    4. Who will play in the forwards? - JJ, Bergin or JP??
    5. Any other suggestions?

Fogarty and TJ will start midfield i suspect. Although no doubt Hogan will be named there.

And Kevin Kelly could be the surprise inclusion given his supposed training form

What counts as 'on the field'?

Game time during the AI final, or at any stage during the championship?
    Just the final for that list. And it excludes the drawn finals also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Very Quiet on here for an All Ireland Friday, not feeling very confident about this one lads.

I see it going one of two ways, if we are to win I feel it will come down to our ability to come out on top in a close game.. on the other hand if things go right for Tipp I could see them doing a number on us and winning with a bit to spare. As always it will probably come down to who gets the breaks on he day.

Team selection will be interesting,heard Kevin Kelly was flying in training and would love to have seen him more involved this year. He hasn't had as many opportunities as others to show what he can do but for me the lad is a born finisher as he proved against Tipp in the league...would love to see him at FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

If I got a euro every time I heard that someone was flying in training, I would be a rich man. I can't see Kevin Kelly starting but there is a possibility of him coming on as first sub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Weather looks to be nice for Dublin on Sunday 17-19 degrees C with a light breeze. Seems like perfect conditions...if that's what we get!

blackcard wrote: »
    If I got a euro every time I heard that someone was flying in training, I would be a rich man. I can't see Kevin Kelly starting but there is a possibility of him coming on as first sub
    That's true...always rumors of different lads "flying in training" for every game. I don't think Kelly will start either but there's a couple of places in the forwards up for grabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I'm not sure I get your point. If you're arguing that an AI medal is somehow devalued because the holder didn't get to make an appearance on final day, I beg to differ. Listen to the victors speech on Sunday and you can be guaranteed that special mention will be given to the 'panel' and how the win was as much down to the panel as the team. Every member of the panel will have worked his bollocks off, made all the sacrifices, put his life on hold etc. The wouldn't be on that panel if they hadn't. One of those medals could go to a player who has played every game of the season but found themselves on the sideline due to form/injury. Just because somebody didn't see game time doesn't mean they're any less entitled to that medal. IMO all AI medals count.

citykat wrote: »
    I'm not sure I get your point. If you're arguing that an AI medal is somehow devalued because the holder didn't get to make an appearance on final day, I beg to differ. Listen to the victors speech on Sunday and you can be guaranteed that special mention will be given to the 'panel' and how the win was as much down to the panel as the team. Every member of the panel will have worked his bollocks off, made all the sacrifices, put his life on hold etc. The wouldn't be on that panel if they hadn't. One of those medals could go to a player who has played every game of the season but found themselves on the sideline due to form/injury. Just because somebody didn't see game time doesn't mean they're any less entitled to that medal. IMO all AI medals count.
    Can't agree with that. Let's say some 36 year old panellist had been part of every Cody squad, and was now about about to win his 12th medal, that his achievement would be greater than say Shefflins? Crazy logic.

Can't agree with that. Let's say some 36 year old panellist had been part of every Cody squad, and was now about about to win his 12th medal, that his achievement would be greater than say Shefflins? Crazy logic.
    You're missing the point though, 36 or not he wouldn't be on the panel if he wasn't making a contribution.

Lads looking supremely fit at training tonight, also thought their first touch was much, much better than prior to Waterford games. I still make Tipp favourites. If they don't win this weekend, they may throw their hat at it. Their hunger has to to be greater than Kilkenny's

That 36 year old is in that panel on merit. If you think Cody does sentiment, you don't know much about his selections down through the years. Shefflin and every other 'player' had to have somebody pushing them in training. Those 'players' are as much a product of training as they are of their talent.

Kevin Kelly picked to start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil v Tipp
    E Murphy
    P Murphy J Holden S Prendergast
    P Walsh K Joyce C Buckley
    TJ Reid C Fogarty
    W Walsh R Hogan E Larkin
    K Kelly C Fennelly L Blanchfield
    Subs
    R Reid
    J Tyrrell
    R Lennon
    D Cody
    C oShea
    L Ryan
    JJ Farrell
    J Power
    M Bergin
    C Martin
    M Malone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

None of the 15-20 on the field would have a medal at all without the 10-15 who weren't on it. That's a fact as well.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    You're missing the point though, 36 or not he wouldn't be on the panel if he wasn't making a contribution.
    Yes he's making a contribution, but in the manager's mind not a big enough one to get him onto the field. The only exception to the medals tally should be in the case of injury, Mick Fennelly being a good example this year.

Anyway I'll let ye discuss the team.

Delighted for Kevin Kelly, as I said in an earlier post this lad is a born finisher...you can't teach that, the instinct to go for the jugular when a point is the easy option. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Like the look of that team.but dont feel there is alot up front from the bench.jonjo and john power look to be the game changers if needed.delighted for kelly.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Like the look of that team.but dont feel there is alot up front from the bench.jonjo and john power look to be the game changers if needed.delighted for kelly.

Given he's been overlooked yet again, I'd imagine Lester will feel he has a point to prove if introduced.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if Mark Bergin got a run as a sub, things didn't go for him the last day but he has is a decent player. Obviously Kelly has been producing in training. There is no doubt that Kevin Kelly has talent and must have convinced Cody that he can fight to win his own ball. Whatever way it goes, Cody has rolled the dice and is not afraid to make the big decisions. It must be one of the most inexperienced full forward lines ever.

I would not be surprised if Mark Bergin got a run as a sub, things didn't go for him the last day but he has is a decent player. Obviously Kelly has been producing in training. There is no doubt that Kevin Kelly has talent and must have convinced Cody that he can fight to win his own ball. Whatever way it goes, Cody has rolled the dice and is not afraid to make the big decisions. It must be one of the most inexperienced full forward lines ever.
    Good hurler but i don't think Bergin is the kind of player to come on and change a game...we'll see Power and Farrell get game time ahead of him I'd be thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭kk.man

Very true with in experience in ff line but love to see how actually they will line out...I think Cody after pulling off a stroke of genius...his bench is now stronger at anytime in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Very young team and a strong bench too. No we're not going away win lose or draw

• Advertisement

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Delighted for Kevin Kelly, as I said in an earlier post this lad is a born finisher...you can't teach that, the instinct to go for the jugular when a point is the easy option. Best of luck to him.
    I think that the addition of Kevin Kelly and Liam Blanchfield along with the form shown by Colin Fennelly the last day gives us more of a goal threat, something we have been struggling with for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Just the final for that list. And it excludes the drawn finals also.

Sure you wouldn't count draws anyway, no medals for those ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Kelly got the goals in the league v tipp.may have come into codys thinking

I'm chuffed for Kevin Kelly. He's been on the fringes but now's his big chance. Let's hope he gets a good early touch and a good handy scoring opportunity early on, just like Blanchfield the last day out. Needsconfidence early on.

The tension is starting to build now!! It's an experienced defence and solid midfield. I think the key thing is who plays where and on who. Gone are the days when 1 lad marked 'his man' all game. There is so much interlinking and changing position that it's hard to see it all.

All the pundits on "Seo Spoirt" going for Tipperary, all saying its now or never. Hard to disagree with them. Having said that, there will be loads of individual battles on Sunday. People are looking at Callinan v Holden or Richie v Maher or Bonnar v Joyce as being decisive but it may well be McCormack v Buckley or Blanchfield v Barrett or Gleeson v Murphy that is the difference

All the pundits on "Seo Spoirt" going for Tipperary, all saying its now or never. Hard to disagree with them. Having said that, there will be loads of individual battles on Sunday. People are looking at Callinan v Holden or Richie v Maher or Bonnar v Joyce as being decisive but it may well be McCormack v Buckley or Blanchfield v Barrett or Gleeson v Murphy that is the difference

Yeah, a lot of people tipping Tipp. Have they been seriously tested? How will their new guys react to All Ireland Final day pressure. Who knows?

All Ireland finals are for someone to become a hero. Let's hope that hero is a stripey cat!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭letowski

Will TJ play at midfield? Maybe hasnt been at his best in the full forward line, his best position is half forward. Cody might want to get him more involved. Hogan can play midfield too I suppose.

From 2006 to 2009 we had a team for the ages. I remember watching a training session prior to the 2008 semi final v Cork and thinking this is the best kk team I had ever seen. What I have seen since then, are teams who have made the most of their ability and Cody has to take credit for that. Let us hope that the same outcome results next Sunday as Tipp seem to have the upperhand in terms of resources

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭Buck Melanoma

letowski wrote: »
    Will TJ play at midfield? Maybe hasnt been at his best in the full forward line, his best position is half forward. Cody might want to get him more involved. Hogan can play midfield too I suppose.

I think Tj will start midfield, will compliment Fogarty, but would expect Tj and Richie Hogan to interchange and keep Ronan Maher guessing, Walter will try and put P.Maher on the back foot . The Midfield/half forward lines are vital to Kilkenny winning. Don't underestimate the work Kilkenny put in this area to beat Waterford. I know tipp have upped their intensity this year, but I would put more stock in Kilkenny's outings v Waterford than Tipperary's v Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Lads is there any pub in Dublin regarded as a 'kilkenny' pub?? A safe haven maybe for Sun eve?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

minty81 wrote: »
    Lads is there any pub in Dublin regarded as a 'kilkenny' pub?? A safe haven maybe for Sun eve?!

Not really. Tipperary seem to own half the city. Leeson lounge was once a Kilkenny pub (not exactly handy in a match day) but the man who owned it is dead with years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Brian Gavins whistle

minty81 wrote: »

The bar in the Academy Plaza Hotel on Cathay Brugha St.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Did anybody notice the 'player profiles' in the Irish Times today? For Richie Hogan they posted a picture of Joe Canning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I think Tj will start midfield, will compliment Fogarty, but would expect Tj and Richie Hogan to interchange and keep Ronan Maher guessing, Walter will try and put P.Maher on the back foot . The Midfield/half forward lines are vital to Kilkenny winning. Don't underestimate the work Kilkenny put in this area to beat Waterford. I know tipp have upped their intensity this year, but I would put more stock in Kilkenny's outings v Waterford than Tipperary's v Galway.
    Without M Fennelly, a lot of the focus will fall on Walter Walsh in terms of the physical battle in the half forward line and around midfield.

Great news for the Cats - the bold Loughnane has changed his mind and is now tipping the Cars. Downside is we're still functional:

Two-time All-Ireland winning Clare manager Ger Loughnane has done a u-turn on his All-Ireland winners prediction.

At the start of the year the 'Sunday Game' pundit went for Tipperary to be the last team standing in September but he has had a change of heart after watching their semi-final display against Galway.

For Tipp to win, they will need to play at a frantic, relentless pace from first whistle to last, he writes in today's Irish Daily Star, be prepared to risk life and limb in every tackle, chase hopeless causes, and hope that someone has a Lar Corbett 2010 or Shane O'Donnell 2013 freak day, and then they need to be lucky...

Kilkenny know they just have to play in their usual functional way and they will close down Tipp.

I thought from the start of the year that Tipp would win the All-Ireland but their semi-final display shocked me.

You just can't trust them in Croke Park. Kilkenny to win.

Did anybody notice the 'player profiles' in the Irish Times today? For Richie Hogan they posted a picture of Joe Canning.

For the drawn Waterford game, Larks picture was flashed up on the screen in Croke Park when they were announcing the teams. He's obviously not that well known. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Kilkenny know they just have to play in their usual functional way and they will close down Tipp.
    Translation: Kilkenny still have to display the greatest amount of all round skill, scoring ability and physicality to win. Which is what they have managed to do consistently for most of the last decade under Cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Great news indeed cos when he speaks ex cathedra he is infallible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Anthony cunningham said eoin murphy went over on his ankle wednesday night and could be a doubt for tomorrow

brookville wrote: »
    Anthony cunningham said eoin murphy went over on his ankle wednesday night and could be a doubt for tomorrow
    I am fairly sure he trained okay yesterday

Same journey to all on their travels tomorrow, wherever you're from and enjoy the game. Hopefully the Cats play with their usually intensity and skill. That's all we can ask from these legends!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement