Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Any word on Murphy??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

minty81 wrote: »
    Any word on Murphy??

I've heard it from a good few people that he's out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭thelostboys23

I've heard it from a good few people that he's out.

Had also heard it but supposedly passed a fitness test yesterday and will start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Cody may be great but how he didn't change the full back line was something else. Fair play to Tipp they give an exhibition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Congrats to Tipperary. Over the past few the years the quality of our panel has gradually diminished to where the chasing pack has caught up with us. Yes we had injuries but in fairness to Tipp they could only beat what was put out against them. Well deserved win for the Premier County. We have had an amazing run since 2000. Desperately in need of fresh blood. Time will tell if its coming through or not. Great day for Tipp so often put to the sword by us. They will enjoy this victory. Interesting to see whether they can put consecutive AI victories together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Well beaten possibly could have been by more. How there was no changes in the back line was odd. Also no subs made in the forwards even though we were struggling is also a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Cody main flaw is his inability to make substitutions in good time. This is a young team and 2-20 is a good score. Also Ger Aylward and James Maher can add something. With Jj Brian and Tommy Cody did not need to worry about full back line. Either he or whoever takes over needs to. We have not gone away of course and should be back next year for another go at winning the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

unrealtime wrote: »
    Cody main flaw is his inability to make substitutions in good time. This is a young team and 2-20 is a good score. Also Ger Aylward and James Maher can add something. With Jj Brian and Tommy Cody did not need to worry about full back line. Either he or whoever takes over needs to. We have not gone away of course and should be back next year for another go at winning the final
    It's not a young team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Why wasnt Jonjo Farrell brought on? Not being from Kilkenny, am I missing something with him? Considering how he was banging in the goals earlier this year, surely he was worth throwing on with 10 minutes to go when ye were looking for a goal??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Motivator wrote: »
    Well I can guarantee it. Joyce is poor, Bonner Maher is the best playmaker in the country & can score as well. Joyce will get the runaround like he did in the semi final.

Well lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

What amazed me more than the difference in skill levels between the two teams, is how much more fitter Tipp were compared to our lads. First to to most balls, kk backs couldn't get out without pressure. Tipps backs had plenty of time and space. If Liam Blanchfield is the type of young player we are creating, then we are in big trouble. When Tipp bet us in 2010, we still had an excellent group of players. Now??

mullinr2 wrote: »
    What amazed me more than the difference in skill levels between the two teams, is how much more fitter Tipp were compared to our lads. First to to most balls, kk backs couldn't get out without pressure. Tipps backs had plenty of time and space. If Liam Blanchfield is the type of young player we are creating, then we are in big trouble. When Tipp bet us in 2010, we still had an excellent group of players. Now??

Cody will run for the hills now. Poor group of players & he knows it. He'll disappear off into the sunset & leave someone else with a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Cody will run for the hills now. Poor group of players & he knows it. He'll disappear off into the sunset & leave someone else with a mess.

Are you just in looking for a reaction? Fairly pathetic stuff to be honest

This is a very very young team

Maybe in age but they have still got plenty of Hurling on the clock.

• Advertisement

How is it a young team? Larkin is 32 Fennelly 31, Hogan 29, Reid 28, Joyce 29, Tyrell 34, Prendergast 29 i think, even the likes of Murphy, Fennelly and Holden are 26/27. It's not an old team by any means and ye can come again but it's not a young side either and it needs some new blood next year imo.

KK can and will still come again next year but it has to be said a team that has barely anyone from the under 21s on the team is hardly a very very young team but it's not an old side either, think this year might be the last we see of Fennelly, Larkin, Tyrell but the rest if they are picked will all be ready for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭merryberry

Time for Cody to go..

merryberry wrote: »
    Time for Cody to go..

Some crazy decisions from the manager today. I think he's lost it.

Hogan - should have been taken off.

Joyce - got cleaned should have been gone at half time.

Prendergast - the less said the better.

Holden - cleaned.

Worst kk team for a long time, Cody has a job on his hands now. Tipp performance better than kk in 2008. Nice to see such a great team like tipp win like that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

merryberry wrote: »
    Time for Cody to go..

I know your trying to get a reaction but just my thoughts on this suggestion is that this panel did well to win the Leinster final, get to a league semi final and an All Ireland Final. Michael Fennelly and Ger Aylward were huge losses to the panel, this along with the retirement of Richie Power and injuries to James Maher was always going to make winning the All Ireland difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Some crazy decisions from the chicken today. I think he's lost it.

Hogan - should have been taken off.

Joyce - got cleaned should have been gone at half time.

Prendergast - the less said the better.

Holden - cleaned.

Worst kk team for a long time, Cody has a job on his hands now. Tipp performance better than kk in 2008. Nice to see such a great team like tipp win like that today.

100% should not have been taken off. Not as influential as normal for Kilkenny but still did some good things (like a very very well taken important goal). When KK went down by a few points, there was no way he could be taken off as he is a player capable of creating and converting goal chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭merryberry

Topcat32 wrote: »
    I know your trying to get a reaction but just my thoughts on this suggestion is that this panel did well to win the Leinster final, get to a league semi final and an All Ireland Final. Michael Fennelly and Ger Aylward were huge losses to the panel, this along with the retirement of Richie Power and injuries to James Maher was always going to make winning the All Ireland difficult.

Yes kk cb can react now or react next year. One day they will react and realise it's time for him to go before its too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

mullinr2 wrote: »
    If Liam Blanchfield is the type of young player we are creating, then we are in big trouble. When Tipp bet us in 2010, we still had an excellent group of players. Now??
    I think that's harsh.

I was impressed with him again today in the way he carried himself and never hid once from a hit or the ball. Things didn't come off from him, partly due to the incredible tempo Tipp played the game at and also the fact that Tipp were superior all over the pitch. Very classy player who will learn a lot from this game. Class is permanent etc. Kilkenny suffered due to extremely poor decision making today at times, as a result of pressure and tiredness inflicted by Tipp. It happens. It was bound to happen eventually. And when it happens, it can be quite ugly. And that is the most damning thing you can say about a KK hurling team. They were quite ugly today in terms of the amount of basic errors and stupid passes they attempted. Reminded me of the Irish rugby team. The difference being, KK are still superb hurlers and will come back very strong. Class is permanent as said.

100% should not have been taken off. Not as influential as normal for Kilkenny but still did some good things (like a very very well taken important goal). When KK went down by a few points, there was no way he could be taken off as he is a player capable of creating and converting goal chances.

Hogan was cat today. Played a few good passes but was very poor. Larkin cat again as well. Too many passengers today & the score line flattered kk.

The jig is up I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭kk.man

This defeat is not hard to take because certain players failed when needed most. No excuses Tipp by far the best team. With the exception of Padraig Walsh the back six were really exposed to day. Some of these players don't have massive miles on the clock (that's what makes it strange). Mick Fennelly a big loss but i think result would have been the same. Our inability to win the 50/50 ball worries me (as in 1st Waterford game).

Its over now for 2016 best of luck to Tipp and here's hoping we can rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭droppingball

Tipperary were top class, tough to watch but so proud of that team and management, we rebuild and go again, lets ignore the wums who are coming out of the wood. We lost today but this team and managment are winners and they will be back, we will concentrate on winning again and ignore the haters

Some crazy decisions from the chicken today. I think he's lost it.

Like I said, fairly pathetic stuff.

Like I said, fairly pathetic stuff.

I wouldn't say pathetic, more of an embarrassing performance from kk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

By KK's very high standards, you could certainly argue it was an embarrassing performance. I'm sure the team are hurting significantly. So many simple errors made throughout the game. And this was compounded upon by an incredible performance from Tipp from start to finish. It sets next year's championship up again perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

Little bit of grace in victory, pal. Gloating is in itself embarrassing. Better team won today and you won't hear any of the Kilkenny supporters here contesting that view.

Cody has seen a number of his teams humbled during his tenure as Kilkenny manager and has taken them back to the top of the pile on each occasion. And if he were to step aside how his record wouldn't be blemished in the slightest. It's pretty laughable to suggest he'll "run for the hills" considering his record since 1999. He has nothing to prove to anyone, least of all you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Little bit of grace in victory, pal. Gloating is in itself embarrassing. Better team won today and you won't hear any of the Kilkenny supporters here contesting that view.

Cody has seen a number of his teams humbled during his tenure as Kilkenny manager and has taken them back to the top of the pile on each occasion. And if he were to step aside how his record wouldn't be blemished in the slightest. It's pretty laughable to suggest he'll "run for the hills" considering his record since 1999. He has nothing to prove to anyone, least of all you.

Maybe he will go to develop the game in the weaker counties

Road-Hog wrote: »

Do a bit of a Mick o'dwyer

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Well done to Tipperary today. They did indeed, as promised, play with a high intensity and deserved their victory.

Another thing is we must congratulate both teams on a very sporting game played the way it should be - hard hits given and taken but they all got up and got on with it - no whinging.

Kilkenny looked flat today, and in general the team needs a good long rest to re-charge the batteries. Four or five fresh players needed, and you could see we lacked a Henry or a DJ to put a cutting edge to the forward play. The full back line, centre-back, midfield, and a forward or two need twigging.

Eoghan Murphy in goal brought off a couple of brilliant saves, so he can't be faulted.

Eoin Larkin had a good first half, but tired at the three quarter stage.

Richie tried all the way through but was closed down quickly by the Tipp backs.

Blanchfield fought all the way through, and will develop further with experience.

A lot of our players had an off day today, but that is bound to happen sometime, and we thank the Kilkenny team and Brian Cody and his management team for the brilliant days they have given us over the last 16 years or so.

Kilkenny were not going to go on winning forever, and we knew that someday the run would end, but no fear, Kilkenny will re-group and come back again - just a blip.

Today was tipp's day, and on the day, deservedly so.

I think that's harsh.

I was impressed with him again today in the way he carried himself and never hid once from a hit or the ball. Things didn't come off from him, partly due to the incredible tempo Tipp played the game at and also the fact that Tipp were superior all over the pitch. Very classy player who will learn a lot from this game. Class is permanent etc. Kilkenny suffered due to extremely poor decision making today at times, as a result of pressure and tiredness inflicted by Tipp. It happens. It was bound to happen eventually. And when it happens, it can be quite ugly. And that is the most damning thing you can say about a KK hurling team. They were quite ugly today in terms of the amount of basic errors and stupid passes they attempted. Reminded me of the Irish rugby team. The difference being, KK are still superb hurlers and will come back very strong. Class is permanent as said.

Any Kk folk recall 1999 v cork. The worst all Ireland final I can remember. 0-11 to 0-13 r something I think to cork. Think it was codys first final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

An imperious record does not elevate Brian Cody to a plain beyond honest criticism. Yes, the panel at his disposal this year was the weakest for some time, but you can't excuse his lack of action today. Holden continually tortured; no attempt made to plug the huge spaces that were benefiting the Tipp forwards; lack of change until it was too late.

Fair play to Padraig Walsh who hurled manfully until the end. Other marquee players hoisted the wrong white flag a little early for comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm not saying it should or will happen but what odds Cody becoming the next Dublin manager? Good for hurling, good for Cody (prove (as if that's necessary) that he's a great manager) and good for the GAA.

Just satin!!

I'm not saying it should or will happen but what odds Cody becoming the next Dublin manager? Good for hurling, good for Cody (prove (as if that's necessary) that he's a great manager) and good for the GAA.

Just satin!!

Not sure what's in it for Cody tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Any Kk folk recall 1999 v cork. The worst all Ireland final I can remember. 0-11 to 0-13 r something I think to cork. Think it was codys first final.

I think the torrents of rain all during the game is well remembered too, and the forwards only scoring one or two points in the second half even with DJ on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Not sure what's in it for Cody tbh

A few things:

1. An interesting new challenge.
    2. Demonstrates he wasn't just organising an amazing talent pool in KK.
    3. Would be a hurling equivalent of Mick O'Dwyer and elevate him to super mega legend status (he's already a mega legend)
    4. Would genuinely open up a new county to being challengers for the Liam McCarthy (I know they've been close a few times)
    5. Would create a lot of commercial opportunities for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Just satin!!
    Well Cody has always said he'd only ever manage Kilkenny or his club James Stephens I don't think that will ever change.

Also I don't see Cody going anywhere yes we were beaten by a better team today and they completely dominated us in the second half and fair dues to them on winning the AI.

I think Cody will stick around as he knows the talent coming through mix that with what we have and I'd have not fear of us disappearing off the radar we will still be challenging for titles have no fear. As pointed out already Get Aylward and James Maher will be back next year add to that some lads that are coming through like John Walsh, Richie Leahy, Luke Scanlon, Billy Ryan, Jason Cleere, Evan Cody, Conor Delaney, Sean Morrisey, Tommy Walsh and there just the ones off the top of my head. As Derek McGrath said on a preview on Saturday afternoon Tipp need to win this one because Kilkenny have a serious crop about to arrive at the top table and I don't think he was exaggerating. We may have a rocky year next year bedding a few of them in but the future is bright and it's still Black and Amber.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

He very well might do just that, and if he does step down this year (which I do not envisage) there will be no shortage of offers from teams in Leinster. He's still only 62 and you would wonder what hunger is still there to win yet more All Irelands with Kilkenny. That being said, I remember similar questions being asked when Tipp won in 2010. He'll want to walk away a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I think KK were beaten all over the pitch but surely checking the three lads up front would have kept it a contest.

Astonishing that a man of Cody's experience and intelligence didn't react to what was happening.

More than half the team were born in the Nineties and 2/3 more in 1989. We'll be back nothing surer

A few things:

1. An interesting new challenge.
    2. Demonstrates he wasn't just organising an amazing talent pool in KK.
    3. Would be a hurling equivalent of Mick O'Dwyer and elevate him to super mega legend status (he's already a mega legend)
    4. Would genuinely open up a new county to being challengers for the Liam McCarthy (I know they've been close a few times)
    5. Would create a lot of commercial opportunities for him.

2. He proved that fairly comprehensively last year.

corny wrote: »
    I think KK were beaten all over the pitch but surely checking the three lads up front would have kept it a contest.

Astonishing that a man of Cody's experience and intelligence didn't react to what was happening.
    What could he do, callanan couldn't be stopped anyway. The full back line were dreadful but he clearly has nothing on the bench that he thought could fix it. I and plenty of others said before the match that the full back line was going to be in trouble, so it was hardly a shock, there's just nothing that could be done about it. The goal was to restrict the ball going in there. When that failed there was no way to save the day really.

• Advertisement

What could he do, callanan couldn't be stopped anyway. The full back line were dreadful but he clearly has nothing on the bench that he thought could fix it. I and plenty of others said before the match that the full back line was going to be in trouble, so it was hardly a shock, there's just nothing that could be done about it. The goal was to restrict the ball going in there. When that failed there was no way to save the day really.

Could have played a sweeper.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Just satin!!
    ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Well i hear him day in day out speak about the importance of the panel and his trust of using the panel etc etc etc. Same stuff. Not so sure he really genuinely trusts his panel deep down.

He didnt make a change far off the 60 minute mark. Well beaten at that stage. If truth be told tipp should have been 8 or 10 up at half time. Had struck alot of wides. Kk were hanging in on frees. Today we yielded 1 point from play from our 2 most potent forwards in Reid and Hogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,938 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I would love to see Cody get involved in some way at the highest level of the GAA in the development of the game. Maybe his genius is just what the game needs to drive it on. Lets face it, the game isn't exactly thriving countrywide.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Look best team won today.but people writing us off like in 10 and 13 havent a clue.this team and the ones that have gone before have given us so many great days and memories and for that I thank them.look forward to next year and go again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement