Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

What could he do, callanan couldn't be stopped anyway. The full back line were dreadful but he clearly has nothing on the bench that he thought could fix it. I and plenty of others said before the match that the full back line was going to be in trouble, so it was hardly a shock, there's just nothing that could be done about it. The goal was to restrict the ball going in there. When that failed there was no way to save the day really.

Just in the door deflated and disappointed but such is life.

We were bet in 11 or 12 of the 15 positions. The teams performance seemed to reflect the inertia in the county over the past fortnight, no real buzz just an assumption that they would pull it out of the bag.

Team and supporters wanted to win but Tipp just wanted and needed it more.

Days like today make you realize how spoilt we were over the past 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I'm gutted but that was some performance form Tipp today, I couldn't believe the space in front of our full back line all day and Cody was slow on the line again but Tipp were excellent so no complaints...we'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Motivator wrote: »
    Explain please. What don't you agree with?

Take hogan off.is that a joke.player before rhe game was favourite for player of the year.tipp better than kk 08.do you know that waterford failed to score from play for 45 minutes.A waterford team containing forwards like mullane shanahan and kelly.agree pender and holden were poor but joyce hardly cleaned.think bonner got 1 from play at the end (joyce already gone off)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Take hogan off.is that a joke.player before rhe game was favourite for player of the year.tipp better than kk 08.do you know that waterford failed to score from play for 45 minutes.A waterford team containing forwards like mullane shanahan and kelly.agree pender and holden were poor but joyce hardly cleaned.think bonner got 1 from play at the end (joyce already gone off)

Don't feed the troll!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

dubcat51 wrote: »

What has Waterford not scoring from play got to do with anything? Waterford capitulated & a comogie team would have probably put up a better performance. Today was a far better performance in my opinion.

Joyce was taken off because he was terrible. To be fair to him, 5 of the other backs should have gone with him. Kk got a lesson today plain & simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Just home lads. Long journey.

Firstly well done to Tipp - fully merited their win and to be honest could have one by more. They were excellent, exposed our full back every time. They pulled Mc Grath out, Murphy had to follow and left space inside for SC and Bubbles. We all knew before that Tipps ff line was the danger and so it proved.

All this talk of Cody going to Dublin? What is that about? We lost this game to the better team. That's life.

Time to regroup and bring others on board over the winter and go at it again in Feb. These lads have gave us great enjoyment over the years and we'll stand by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Commiserations to ye, that Tipp had to produce that level of performance to finally beat ye says a lot about what that KK team is all about.
    No doubt ye will be back next year though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

What could he do, callanan couldn't be stopped anyway. The full back line were dreadful but he clearly has nothing on the bench that he thought could fix it. I and plenty of others said before the match that the full back line was going to be in trouble, so it was hardly a shock, there's just nothing that could be done about it. The goal was to restrict the ball going in there. When that failed there was no way to save the day really.

Look i'm not saying the answer was staring him the face or anything. We know KK are short proven options back there and Fennelly is normally worth his weight in gold the work he does in front of his backs. Perhaps they were in a losing position regardless. The point is we won't ever know because nothing was tried.

Last year he dropped deep to restrict the Galway forwards in second half of the final. That worked. Against Dublin this year they did the same thing. That worked too. Withdraw and clog up the space in front of Callanan? Throw on a lad in place of Holden and ask him to make his own bit of history? Again not saying these things will work but you know the status quo has you beaten so why not try?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Motivator wrote: »
    What has Waterford not scoring from play got to do with anything? Waterford capitulated & a comogie team would have probably put up a better performance. Today was a far better performance in my opinion.

Joyce was taken off because he was terrible. To be fair to him, 5 of the other backs should have gone with him. Kk got a lesson today plain & simple.

You mentioned todays performance by tipp was better than kk in 08.when you hold a team of the calibre of that 08 waterford team scoreless for 45 min from play come back ro me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I would love to see Cody get involved in some way at the highest level of the GAA in the development of the game. Maybe his genius is just what the game needs to drive it on. Lets face it, the game isn't exactly thriving countrywide.

His love of KK is too much perhaps? The game definitely needs someone to 'spread the gospel' more.....teams at the top and competitive level are reducing rather than increasing.....offalys decline being probably the most note worthy and also Antrim up north. Would Cody have the appetite for the above like 'Justin and Gerald mccarthy'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JayIre

We were shocking. The hunger just wasn't there. Tipp simply wanted it more. Fair play to them, we'll just have to up the bar next year..... bring it on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

As a neutral could be a good time for cody to go but get involved at the underage level or an academ.Give the next man a breathing space with a new team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

corny wrote: »
    Look i'm not saying the answer was staring him the face or anything. We know KK are short proven options back there and Fennelly is normally worth his weight in gold the work he does in front of his backs. Perhaps they were in a losing position regardless. The point is we won't ever know because nothing was tried.

Last year he dropped deep to restrict the Galway forwards in second half of the final. That worked. Against Dublin this year they did the same thing. That worked too. Withdraw and clog up the space in front of Callanan? Throw on a lad in place of Holden and ask him to make his own bit of history? Again not saying these things will work but you know the status quo has you beaten so why not try?

True enough, and Cody being slow to change things is not a new phenomenon. But I think that line was screwed from the outset. The objective was always to limit the ball coming in and make sure callanan didn't get isolated on Holden. Both objectives were failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Interesting to see where Kilkenny go from here. If Kilkenny had to play next week id reckon Lennon would be brought in Centre Back. Our options for replacements in the full back line seem a lot less obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Good time for Cody to depart, very little in the locker after the first 15. Still feel that without Cody KK will struggle to win All irelands though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

buck65 wrote: »
    Good time for Cody to depart, very little in the locker after the first 15. Still feel that without Cody KK will struggle to win All irelands though.

Very few would like to see that though. I work with a few ex-KK hurlers and they feel that if Cody goes then it will take a long time for Kilkenny hurling to adjust. Cody keeps everything together and keeps unearthing players. People can say that Cody could have made changes earlier but changing the full back line wouldn't have changed the fact that there was lots of ball coming down on top of them. Players like Holden and Murphy can bounce back from off-days. Throwing a young lad in could have been a complete disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

We don't have a centre back or a full back. Where are they going to come from?

It's a shame Joe Canning wasn't fitter the last few years as we wouldn't have had to go through the whole Joey Holden experience.

Well if you consider that our second team gave Clare a good beating this year there is some talented players outside or on the fringes of the panel to work with. However Kilkenny are looking for 2 to 3 new backs which will be difficult to find in one year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

Its back to the drawing board big time, I thought it was a little harsh criticising liam Blanchfield think he did well in his first all Ireland he tried won a few frees took a lot of hardship. People saying Cody should go did you ever have a bad day in the office and didn't learn something from it. Hope there is a big turn out to night these lads never let us down even in interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

We don't have a centre back or a full back. Where are they going to come from?

It's a shame Joe Canning wasn't fitter the last few years as we wouldn't have had to go through the whole Joey Holden experience.
    What are you talking about did the man not get an allstar last year he must have doing something right , as regards Joe Canning you get sick of hearing excuses about him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

In Kilkenny, we need to mentally deal with the loss of key players for the final better. It is still 15 on 15.

Just from a history point of view. Kilkenny won the All-Ireland in 1972 beating Cork. In 1973, we suffered the losses of Eddie Keher, Kieran Purcell, Jim Treacy and Eamonn Morrissey as well as losing Frank Cummins early on. Limerick beat us. Twelve months later in 1974 we were champions again and again in 1975.

Kilkenny won the All-Ireland in 2009 beating Tipperary. In 2010, we suffered the losses of Henry Shefflin, Brian Hogan and effectively, John Tennyson. Tipperary beat us. Twelve months later in 2011 we were champions again and again in 2012.

Kilkenny won the All-Ireland in 2015. In 2016, we all know about Michael Fennelly and you could possibly add Ger Aylward and James Maher. Who would genuinely bet against us in twelve months and two years time??

I agree that there are a lot of very good players coming through. Blanchfield and Kelly both did well in their baptisms. Others are very promising. The issue we face is that the vast majority of good players coming through are forwards. Natural backs are scarce. Some of the better defensive prospects coming through have either lost form or departed for other pastures. There is a challenge there. Lets not forget how well our intermediate team did this year winning the All-Ireland and scoring for fun, though they did have defensive issues too.

The other area of challenge is the whole area between minor and Under-21. As I ve mentioned on numerous occasions, the amount of players now in Kierans College where they are getting plenty of training but the vast majority are not getting matches of note. Kierans have a senior panel of over 40 players where only 18 are actually playing the key league/championship games. Lots of these should be with their local school getting match experience that would be more beneficial (there was no Kierans player involved in minor final yesterday or last year for that matter). After the historic Under-17 win last week (Without key Kierans/CBS players!), we should be favourites for Minor in 2017, but I wonder

There also seems to be a relative lack of Kilkenny representation on Fitzgibbon teams. Anyone wonder why? This is a key area of player development. Cyril Farrell mentioned several lads from the Tipp team who were stars with their third level institute. Had we any?

We lost ONE MATCH to a better team yesterday. That s all. No need for panic, but there is a need to review and ensure continuous improvement. Under-19 development squads?? Understand our Fitzgibbon representation. Review of underage structures in conjunction with the age grade changes at inter county level That ll be a tough one for every county in what was a very poorly thought out move.

In Cody s era, we didn t panic after 1999, 2004, 2010 or 2013. Lets not panic now. Congrats to Tipp for now.

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Well if you consider that our second team gave Clare a good beating this year there is some talented players outside or on the fringes of the panel to work with. However Kilkenny are looking for 2 to 3 new backs which will be difficult to find in one year.

When was this match? I remember Clare beating KK by 11 points in the league.

When was this match? I remember Clare beating KK by 11 points in the league.

Intermediate All Ireland, Kilkenny dont play their second team in league semi finals

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Commiserations lads. Ye have been great champions and brought the game of hurling to new heights. The game of hurling is Gods gift to Irish people and embodies everything good about Ireland. Feelings may be raw this morning but ye have been the guardians of the game for a long time and you need intense rivalries to fuel passion for the game. Its easy to say nice things after you have won but not so when you lose but I thought the Kilkenny supporters were class and dignified to the last yesterday and accepted defeat in the same manner as victory in years gone by. Listening to KCLR on the way down as well they were effusive in their praise of Tipperary. It is very hard to imagine Kilkenny managed by anyone but Cody. Very hard to know what he will do now. Would have trumped everything if He had guided Kilkenny to victory yesterday with a thinner squad than ever before but I'd say there is a good chance he will be back to try and leave on a winning note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Ompala wrote: »
    Commiserations to ye, that Tipp had to produce that level of performance to finally beat ye says a lot about what that KK team is all about.
    No doubt ye will be back next year though :P

That's the challenge for Tipp now, to put in the same performance when they are champions.

Very much like 2010, they are now seen as the better team than Kilkenny, the best team in the country and in the ascendancy.

At least this time, 2011 is a lesson they can learn from, and next year they should have the same management team in place.

Win or lose, I'd have to go back to 2005 to find a year where you might say Kilkenny could have done better.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

corny wrote: »

As someone from Galway I was shouting for ye yesterday Kilkenny have been great champions no gloating that you would get from Tipp or Cork if they were winning every year. I agree with the point about pulling back players to restrict space unreal that someone like cody who usually acts within minutes did nothing to try and change what was happening.

You would also never see a Kilkenny player make a show of himself like bubbles did in the interview afterwards sounded like a right knob.

audi12 wrote: »
    As someone from Galway I was shouting for ye yesterday Kilkenny have been great champions no gloating that you would get from Tipp or Cork if they were winning every year. I agree with the point about pulling back players to restrict space unreal that someone like cody who usually acts within minutes did nothing to try and change what was happening.

You would also never see a Kilkenny player make a show of himself like bubbles did in the interview afterwards sounded like a right knob.

Its amazing we never heard the same media furore when Michael Conlon had an expletive laden rant yesterday. And what about Johnny Glynn last year. Maybe you have a short memory or are just retarded.

In any case hurling thoughts and opinions can only be taken seriously from counties who actually win All Irelands and are not perennial losers ala Galway and a county who still go on about Tony Keady.

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Its amazing we never heard the same media furore when Michael Conlon had an expletive laden rant yesterday. And what about Johnny Glynn last year. Maybe you have a short memory or are just retarded.

In any case hurling thoughts and opinions can only be taken seriously from counties who actually win All Irelands and are not perennial losers ala Galway and a county who still go on about Tony Keady.

Johhny Glynn apologized you may have missed that Micheal Conlon was robbed of a medal by corrupt officials beyond belief to try and compare the two situations go on to joe.ie and Balls.ie to see what people thought of his interview yesterday.

As for the comment about Galway says a lot about you making a comment like that you dont consider All Irelands won in the 80s as valid only those won in the last few years we had the height of respect for Kilkenny in those years tipp is another matter.

Johhny Glynn apologized you may have missed that Micheal Conlon was robbed of a medal by corrupt officials beyond belief to try and compare the two situations go on to joe.ie and Balls.ie to see what people thought of his interview yesterday.

As for the comment about Galway says a lot about you making a comment like that.

no I think it says more about you to be honest. You cant hide your blind hatred but I will try and reason with you. You have complete double standards and have made excuses for the 2 lads who swore on TV but Bubbles doesn't get a free pass despite finishing an intense game 20 seconds before and had a microphone shoved in his face and was hardly able to catch his breath never mind process his thoughts. But wont someone please think of the children in this sanitised and PC world we live in. Someone pass the ****ing puke bucket. And you take a hike.

no I think it says more about you to be honest. You cant hide your blind hatred but I will try and reason with you. You have complete double standards and have made excuses for the 2 lads who swore on TV but Bubbles doesn't get a free pass despite finishing an intense game 20 seconds before and had a microphone shoved in his face and was hardly able to catch his breath never mind process his thoughts. But wont someone please think of the children in this sanitised and PC world we live in. Someone pass the ****ing puke bucket. And you take a hike.

I didn't defend conlon either he was wrong to do what he did but he was upset look at Seamus Callan did an interview two minutes later complete contrast. Either way will be long forgotten about I didnt come on here to talk about him or Tipperary I came on to pay my respects to a great Kilkenny team.

• Advertisement

I didn't defend conlon either he was wrong to do what he did but he was upset look at Seamus Callan did an interview two minutes later complete contrast. Either way will be long forgotten about I didnt come on here to talk about him or Tipperary I came on to pay my respects to a great Kilkenny team.

I will look forward to your congratulatory post on the Tipp thread when you get around to it. I have highlighted the important bit of your post above.

Intermediate All Ireland, Kilkenny dont play their second team in league semi finals

Ok so it was against the Clare u21 side effectively. That clears it up.

Ok so it was against the Clare u21 side effectively. That clears it up.

Clears what up?? I never mentioned anything about who was on the Clare team and even after yesterday id be very confident playing Clare in the championship given we beat both teams that hammered you and the management team you have in place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

As for the comment about Galway says a lot about you making a comment like that you dont consider All Irelands won in the 80s as valid only those won in the last few years we had the height of respect for Kilkenny in those years tipp is another matter.

I think you'll find Bubbles has also apologised. People make mistakes it was the heat of the moment.

Perhaps if you climb down from that big horse you are perched on you might realise that it was an emotional outburst after what was 70mins of intense hurling. It could happen the best of people.

kiers47 wrote: »
    I think you'll find Bubbles has also apologised. People make mistakes it was the heat of the moment.

Perhaps if you climb down from that big horse you are perched on you might realise that it was an emotional outburst after what was 70mins of intense hurling. It could happen the best of people.

Like I said I didnt come on to talk about his interview

Clears what up?? I never mentioned anything about who was on the Clare team and even after yesterday id be very confident playing Clare in the championship given we beat both teams that hammered you and the management team you have in place

Yeah no hassle , from your first post I read it as though your second string hammered Clare, i didn't realise you meant in an intermediate match where both played their second strings or worse.
    To the issue about beating Clare in the Chship I reckon ye probably would have won this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The managment team could have given a run out to some of the players that helped get them to the final
    like Farrell. Bergin. Power
    They wouldnt have been any worse than their direct replacements .

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

James McGrath, Barry Kelly, James Owens, Alan Kelly, Cathal McAlister, Colm Lyons.

Anyone bar Gavin.

There has been a monopoly of Leinster refs refereeing All Irelands. Pat O Connor (who forms part of munster referee committee) alluded to this very fact. All we want is fair play and to let our hurling do the talking.

Anyway enough said on the matter.
    Revert back to match talk and who will be marking who and where the game might be won or lost.

Ref did well yesterday, helped by the fact the players on both sides were well disciplined

You came on and talked abut his interview. Bit slow on the uptake today are we. When shown the blinkerdness of your ways you still haven't retracted or seem to comprehend instead you have ignored or moved the goal posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Haha. Whatever you say mate!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Some people need to get a grip on here asking for Cody to step down or saying it's the right time to go. Such a thug should not be even on the mind of anyone just because we lost. Really jumping on the losing bandwagon altogether, Cody is going nowhere nor would it be his style to go out on a losing note

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Some people need to get a grip on here asking for Cody to step down or saying it's the right time to go. Such a thug should not be even on the mind of anyone just because we lost. Really jumping on the losing bandwagon altogether, Cody is going nowhere nor would it be his style to go out on a losing note

Im pretty sure it was non-kilkenny people saying that. Can't see him leaving myself.

You came on and talked abut his interview. Bit slow on the uptake today are we. When shown the blinkerdness of your ways you still haven't retracted or seem to comprehend instead you have ignored or moved the goal posts.

My main point was to say hardluck to Kilkenny if I wanted to speak with Tipperary fans I would go on a Tipp forum.

The fella came across awful in the interview what do you want to do go around in circles disagreeing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Salrub

As a neutral, I was baffled Cody didn't make any changes in fullback line. Now I know some of the ball played into tipps forwards was first class but other times they were just so far off them. There must'nt have been much on the bench for that full back line to last the whole game

As a neutral, I was baffled Cody didn't make any changes in fullback line. Now I know some of the ball played into tipps forwards was first class but other times they were just so far off them. There must'nt have been much on the bench for that full back line to last the whole game

Salrub wrote: »
    Im baffled as to why you posted the same thing twice

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Agreed, though you would also have to question the rewards as to why such good ball was coming so often.

I thought changes should have been made at half time but then Cody has left lads on in the past and they've turned it around so hard to be too critical.

Realistically we were beaten all ends up yesterday.

No need for that in fairness.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Agreed, though you would also have to question the rewards as to why such good ball was coming so often.

I thought changes should have been made at half time but then Cody has left lads on in the past and they've turned it around so hard to be too critical.

Realistically we were beaten all ends up yesterday.

No need for that in fairness.

I'll consider myself rebuked then, thanks.

Didn't realise I did. Honest mistake. Touchy touchy are we today!!

• Advertisement

Didn't realise I did. Honest mistake. Touchy touchy are we today!!

Not at all thanks, nice and chilled

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement