Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

sides moral. Waterford supporters can chant 'WAT - ER - FORD' so there's no reason why Kilkenny supporters cant chant a 3 syllable chant or even 'CATS'.

You mean "WAH UR FURD" surely? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

minty81 wrote: »
    Two main thoughts on Sunday.

Our half back line were constantly dragged up field following their markers which left huge gaps behind. Most un-kilkenny like. And i can't fathom why? Why are we following Bonner Maher and Dan Mccormack up field when neither are going to score long range points?
    This left huge gaps for tipp to hit deliveries into.

Secondly the intensity and workrate of our forwards and midfield was way off our usual standard. We never laid a finger on them. Did any Tipp player wake up sore on Monday morning? I doubt it
    Its very rare a team beats kilkenny in the tackle count. We were obliterated 54-36.
    Our tackle count in both waterford games was 51 and 54.
    Again not to have any pressure on their half backs clearing ball was most un-kilkenny like.

The two issues together created the perfect storm for our full back line to be hung out to dry

Great post I couldn't believe we fell for this but we looked flat on sunday but we were blessed the first day against waterford so it was on the cards.I thought joyce was unlucky to be taken off he wasnt our worst defender.it'll be intresting to see who goes jackie obviously and maybe larkin and fenno.I've heard a few lads mention buckley should be tried full back.I'd expect a shake up on the panel anyway which mighnt be a bad thing we usually learn from our defeats and come back stronger

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

minty81 wrote: »
    Two main thoughts on Sunday.

Our half back line were constantly dragged up field following their markers which left huge gaps behind. Most un-kilkenny like. And i can't fathom why? Why are we following Bonner Maher and Dan Mccormack up field when neither are going to score long range points?
    This left huge gaps for tipp to hit deliveries into.

Secondly the intensity and workrate of our forwards and midfield was way off our usual standard. We never laid a finger on them. Did any Tipp player wake up sore on Monday morning? I doubt it
    Its very rare a team beats kilkenny in the tackle count. We were obliterated 54-36.
    Our tackle count in both waterford games was 51 and 54.
    Again not to have any pressure on their half backs clearing ball was most un-kilkenny like.

The two issues together created the perfect storm for our full back line to be hung out to dry

Yes, I could not believe what I was seeing, the Kilkenny half-backs following the Tipperary half forwards out to then crowd their own half forwards, with the domino effect of no open space in front of the Kilkenny full forward line for them to exploit.

Throughout the game, the most dangerous line on the Tippearary team, their full forward line, had acres of space, with no attempt by the Kilkenny team or management to rectify what was happening. The Tipp full forward line ended up with a massive score overall. The Kilkenny captain was Shane Prendergast, and perhaps he would have some say on the field of play, and would be leading the call to get the Kilkenny half back line back into position, nearer the full backs to block the free ball into the Tipp full forward line.

But then again, Shane and his other full backs were swamped and changes needed to be made in that area to start with. To make matters worse, the Tipp backs were allowed to pick their spot and put the perfect diagonal ball into their full forwards.

It was amazing to compare the open space the Tipp full forward line had to the congested area the Kilkenny full forward line were restricted to.

Even we (the mere supporters) could see that, so what was going on with Brian and the team management - did they set up a plan A and stubbornly stuck with it, instead of having a plan B. We could not believe the inaction on the sideline.

Kilkenny may not have won regardless of what change in personel or tactics were made, but at least, for the sake of the team, something should have been done.

In any case, what worked for Kilkenny before, was not good enough for last Sunday, and Tipp, fair play to them, adopted much of the Kilkenny intensity and style of play, and upped the bar a bit more, which can only be good for the game.

Brian will learn from this, and we have no doubt whatsover, being the great motivator and strategist that he is, he will go back, rejig his team, and come back with a renwed vigour - managers and team management, like the team, get tired of constantly raising the bar, and nobody faults them.

Leaving my Kilkenny hat aside, hurling needed that game of last Sunday, and in the long run, the other teams can now harbour their own ambitions of making it on the big day, but as always, there will be a Kilkenny team waiting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Well im not sure who you are replying too but I think its based on the minors of 2013, 2014 and 2015. In 2013 the team were leading a very good waterford team with about 10 minutes to go, in 2014 the minor team won the all ireland beating a highly rated Limerick team in the final and in 2015, Galway needed a replay to beat Kilkenny in the semi-final and then beat Tipp easily in the final. I think its a little foolish to think that if a minor team doesnt win the all ireland that it doesnt in many cases have the same amount of promosing players as the wining team

Also what indicates that we have good players coming through is the performance of the collages teams over those years, where Kierans Collage have dominated and CBS have been very strong

Our 2013 minors lost 2016 U21 to Westmeath. I agree that team had some fine players but that loss is impossible to comprehend. There are some very good young players that Brian promised on Monday morning that we'll see quickly. That's great but they are very young and a 3-5 year fix will be required in my opinion and it will be interesting to watch it develop. Will all 4 of the management have the time/energy/enthusiasm to stay on for the longer haul than usual. 2017 is not going to be 2011. We must be realistic. In 2010 final defeat Brian brought on Lyng, Comerford, Rice, R. Hogan as subs. Think of bench last Sunday. A new era awaits, a real challenge. No better person than Brian to lead it.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Our 2013 minors lost 2016 U21 to Westmeath. I agree that team had some fine players but that loss is impossible to comprehend. There are some very good young players that Brian promised on Monday morning that we'll see quickly. That's great but they are very young and a 3-5 year fix will be required in my opinion and it will be interesting to watch it develop. Will all 4 of the management have the time/energy/enthusiasm to stay on for the longer haul than usual. 2017 is not going to be 2011. We must be realistic. In 2010 final defeat Brian brought on Lyng, Comerford, Rice, R. Hogan as subs. Think of bench last Sunday. A new era awaits, a real challenge. No better person than Brian to lead it.

It likely is a new era but with the talent in our team and Tipp likely to win Munster again next year, you would be dissapointed if Kilkenny don't reach the semi-final at least next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Darren Gleeson in goal is 36 so he'd bring up the average a bit, I'd think. He might not be a starter next year.

Id be suprised if he didnt start next year, his puckouts and distribution are excellent. He is looking his age a little bit but he is still a decent shotstopper. I think he would be a significant loss to Tipp when he goes.

I thought his range of puck out were excellent - a great variation of long and short and he pinned them with great accuracy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Gleeson has already said he will be available next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

You cannot throw out the baby with the bath water when it comes to making changes in the team for next year. Holden has an all star at full back you have to remember. Murphy is one of the best corner backs in the country but was well beaten as well as was Prendergast. With Vast open swathes of space and quality ball raining in on you you dont have much hope. I would be looking at the differential in tackle count and why were Tipp players were able to pick out cross field balls with very little pressure exerted. Also I dont condone this type of play but sometimes you have to be cynical when a player gets inside you and gets a run on goal. I think if Noel Hickey was playing and he dropped his hurley like Paul Murphy did last sunday I dont think he would have tried to pick it up. I think he would have taken a yellow and pulled the jersey. That was a pivotal moment.

Also the physcology behind the Waterford semi final was huge. Kilkenny were buoyed by a stirring comeback win against Gawlay in Leinster Final. Waterford came into it with a huge point to prove after their annihilation v's Tipp. Kilkenny expended too much energy getting over Waterford in their semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

I think we are missing the important fact which is that Munster hurling is so poor and Tipp generally have a cakewalk there. Apart from Galway who did it last year we have knocked Tipp out of the championship every year since 2010.

We are far from finished and will be a force to be reckoned with next year - and we still remain a young team. I have no doubt but that we will be in the final again.

• Advertisement

unrealtime wrote: »
    I think we are missing the important fact which is that Munster hurling is so poor and Tipp generally have a cakewalk there. Apart from Galway who did it last year we have knocked Tipp out of the championship every year since 2010.

We are far from finished and will be a force to be reckoned with next year - and we still remain a young team. I have no doubt but that we will be in the final again.

Agreed you would get a good game off Galway to be fair. Munster hurling is very weak at the minute. Even Wexford managed to beat Cork. Munster titles have lost their sheen. You dont even bother celebrating them anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Even Wexford managed to beat Cork.
    Only after Cork had beaten Dublin to be fair.

Only after Cork had beaten Dublin to be fair.

With numerical advantage for most of the game in Pairc Ui Rinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I think we are missing the important fact which is that Munster hurling is so poor and Tipp generally have a cakewalk there.

QUOTE]

You could make that argument and find some evidence to back it up. Then again, you could point to the Clare-Kilkenny 2016 league semi-final which Kilkenny lost badly, the 2013 All-Ireland quarter-final Kilkenny v Cork which Kilkenny lost, the 2014 semi-final Kilkenny v Limerick which Kilkenny earned and won by just two points & and the Kilkenny-Waterford semi-final which Kilkenny earned and won by just two points after a replay which might make Kilkenny think twice about dismissing Munster hurling totally. All games are 'easy' until you have to win them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Was anybody here at the homecoming? I've heard that Cody said something along the lines of, people think we've no U21s or minors, but there are players coming through that are every bit as good as the ones we've had previously. If he said that, we will hopefully see a lot more of John Walsh, James Maher, Ger Alyward, Luke Scanlon, Richie Leahy, etc. We just need our young lads to stop getting so many long term injuries.
    Powerhouse wrote: »
    You could make that argument and find some evidence to back it up. Then again, you could point to the Clare-Kilkenny 2016 league semi-final which Kilkenny lost badly, the 2013 All-Ireland quarter-final Kilkenny v Cork which Kilkenny lost, the 2014 semi-final Kilkenny v Limerick which Kilkenny earned and won by just two points & and the Kilkenny-Waterford semi-final which Kilkenny earned and won by just two points after a replay which might make Kilkenny think twice about dismissing Munster hurling totally. All games are 'easy' until you have to win them.

I don't agree that Munster hurling is poor. There are 2 excellent teams (Tipp, Waterford), one good team (Clare), and 2 weaker counties (Cork, Limerick). In Leinster we have a similar level of teams. 2 excellent team (Kilkenny, Galway on their day), one good team (Dublin) and two weaker counties (Wexford, Offaly). I think the point is that there is a lot of willy waving over the strength of Munster hurling, which makes people go to the opposite extreme. I think the Munster title has lost its sheen a bit, as have all the provisional titles in both codes.

Of the games you mentioned, some of them don't really back up your point at all. In 2013, Kilkenny played Cork with 14 men for the majority of the game and had quite a few very poor referring decisions, including the sending off that was later rescinded as it was totally ridiculous.

The 2015 semi final vs Limerick was played in torrential conditions, the important thing was not to get caught on the day. The closeness of the score is irrelevant on a day like that.

Waterford are rubbish not one title in over 50 years

• Advertisement

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    You cannot throw out the baby with the bath water when it comes to making changes in the team for next year. Holden has an all star at full back you have to remember. Murphy is one of the best corner backs in the country but was well beaten as well as was Prendergast. With Vast open swathes of space and quality ball raining in on you you dont have much hope. I would be looking at the differential in tackle count and why were Tipp players were able to pick out cross field balls with very little pressure exerted. Also I dont condone this type of play but sometimes you have to be cynical when a player gets inside you and gets a run on goal. I think if Noel Hickey was playing and he dropped his hurley like Paul Murphy did last sunday I dont think he would have tried to pick it up. I think he would have taken a yellow and pulled the jersey. That was a pivotal moment.

Also the physcology behind the Waterford semi final was huge. Kilkenny were buoyed by a stirring comeback win against Gawlay in Leinster Final. Waterford came into it with a huge point to prove after their annihilation v's Tipp. Kilkenny expended too much energy getting over Waterford in their semi final.

Plus the extra weeks rest would have be good also.

v3ttel wrote: »

I think the point is that there is a lot of willy waving over the strength of Munster hurling,

Of the games you mentioned, some of them don't really back up your point at all.

I'm not sure there's too much willy waving about the strength of hurling in Limerick and Cork. The latter are in full crisis mode are they not?

The games back up my point alright, it's whether one accepts your excuses for not winning by more. I'd have thought, for example, that the weather was the same for both teams in the Kilkenny-Limerick semi-final. And in the Cork-Kilkenny quarter-final Cork were 0-11 to 0-6 when Shefflin was sent off. They were already struggling and likely would have lost anyway.

Waterford are rubbish not one title in over 50 years

I don't get this. What has the standard of the 1972 or 1986 Waterford teams (who are part of that 50 years' run) got to do with the standard of the current Waterford team?

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I think we are missing the important fact which is that Munster hurling is so poor and Tipp generally have a cakewalk there.

QUOTE]

You could make the arguement that Munster hurling is poor, not because there are poor teams in it but that some of the Counties havent been overly concerned if they didn't win it. This is the first time since 2005 that the munster champions won the All Ireland, and in 2010, 2013 and even 2004 you could argue that being beaten in the munster championship actually helped the winning all ireland. The main reason that the Munster championship isnt what it used to be is the back door system and the feeling that you wont play Kilkenny or the best Munster team in a knockout match until the All Ireland semi final, which is a point when you would expect to play a strong team anyway

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Very disappointing to see that the Intermediate Football Semi Finals have been fixed for Sunday on the Kilkeny GAA website, a day when two Kilkenny Camogie teams bid for All-Ireland glory. Ant insult to both codes and hopefully common sense will prevail before Sunday. The clubs involved have several players involved in the Camogie Finals. There should be no excuses not to support the girls on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Very disappointing to see that the Intermediate Football Semi Finals have been fixed for Sunday on the Kilkeny GAA website, a day when two Kilkenny Camogie teams bid for All-Ireland glory. Ant insult to both codes and hopefully common sense will prevail before Sunday. The clubs involved have several players involved in the Camogie Finals. There should be no excuses not to support the girls on Sunday.

Agreed, the fixtures page on the Kilkenny GAA website doesn't even list the 2 camogie finals. I know camogie isn't officially part of the GAA but still.

The homepage does have a brief write up on it in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

The football matches are at 11.00 in the morning... What's the problem?

And Kilkenny Camogie is a different association and they have their own website.. Again, what's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The football matches are at 11.00 in the morning... What's the problem?

And Kilkenny Camogie is a different association and they have their own website.. Again, what's the problem?

I think organising schedules should be left in the hands of posters on internet forums, they always seem to know exactly how it should have been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

When was the last time a Kilkenny player won Young Hurler of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

My first guess was Noel Hickey but I checked it up and according to Wikipedia it was Cha in 2006.

My first guess was Noel Hickey but I checked it up and according to Wikipedia it was Cha in 2006.

That's an amazing statistic considering our domination of the game during the intervening decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

It goes to show that Cody didn't have to throw on these young players in the past. Imagine TJ and Richie Hogan never got young hurler of the year. My god!! He'll have to change that. We will not win the All Ireland next year wi the same squad.

Ryan Tubridy on the Late Late going on about how it could be seen as justice that kilkenny lost last week, its comments from very unlikely sources like that that make you realise how much Kilkenny have dominated and got in peoples heads over the last 10 to 15 years.

To be fair Marty gave a very fair and gracious response to a very stupid and populist question.

Ryan Tubridy on the Late Late going on about how it could be seen as justice that kilkenny lost last week, its comments from very unlikely sources like that that make you realise how much Kilkenny have dominated and got in peoples heads over the last 10 to 15 years.

To be fair Marty gave a very fair and gracious response to a very stupid and populist question.
    Ryan tubridy is at his most embarrassing when he discusses sports. And that's ****ing saying something. He hasn't a clue and has less interest, clearly thinks sport is beneath him. But he does this awful impersonation of an interviewer who gives a ****e and shares his audience's enthusiasm. It's tubridy at his most inauthentic and condescending.

I remember once when he interviewed Cody and he asked him at least three times how he decides whether to stay on for another year, each time asking "so do you take a walk and then decide?". I wanted to crumple up and die of embarrassment. I think Declan kidney had said the week before that he took a walk and decided to stay on in some role and in tubs's weird world this became "what managers do" and was a short cut to seeming knowledgeable and insightful without having to actually know anything about any particular sport or a figure like Cody in particular.

He is the worst kind of fool: the one who thinks he's the smartest in the room.

Ryan tubridy is at his most embarrassing when he discusses sports. And that's ****ing saying something. He hasn't a clue and has less interest, clearly thinks sport is beneath him. But he does this awful impersonation of an interviewer who gives a ****e and shares his audience's enthusiasm. It's tubridy at his most inauthentic and condescending.

I remember once when he interviewed Cody and he asked him at least three times how he decides whether to stay on for another year, each time asking "so do you take a walk and then decide?". I wanted to crumple up and die of embarrassment. I think Declan kidney had said the week before that he took a walk and decided to stay on in some role and in tubs's weird world this became "what managers do" and was a short cut to seeming knowledgeable and insightful without having to actually know anything about any particular sport or a figure like Cody in particular.

He is the worst kind of fool: the one who thinks he's the smartest in the room.

Very true, at least Pat Kenny was a Kilkenny supporter, good Kilkenny woman behind him!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Will be interesting next year to see what Cody pulls out of the bag,he needs
    4/5 of the freshmans ta hit the ground running and same number to be additions
    To the panel to be gunning for positions or at least relevant options anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

68deville wrote: »
    Will be interesting next year to see what Cody pulls out of the bag,he needs
    4/5 of the freshmans ta hit the ground running and same number to be additions
    To the panel to be gunning for positions or at least relevant options anyway

The talent is there no doubt about that with a good lash of them being in with the panel for at least one year, most two and some even three.
    What we can call on next year that we didn't have this either injured or not ready.
    Forwards: Get Aylward, James Maher, Chris Bolger, John Walsh, Billy Ryan, Sean Morrissey, Kevin Kenny.
    Midfield: Michael Fennelly (seems determined to get back) Ollie Walsh, Luke Scanlon, Richie Leahy.
    Backs: Jason Cleere, Conor Delaney, Evan Cody, Conor O'Neill, Tommy Walsh.
    I could name more but that's 16 we can bring back or bring in, there are more in all positions but these are the top options in each I reckon. All can come through next year can they get to the level? Only time will tell but they all have the talent, can they back it up with determination and hunger?

All our lads now know what it's like to loose an AI and most have been very upset/p****d off some completely devastated about the loss. Other than Jackie, Larks, TJ, Hogan and M Fennelly I don't think any of the rest of the 30 have been on the field or in the camp for an AI loss. They are hurt now but I'd be very confident in time that will turn to anger, determination, hunger and a unwillingness to ever allow that to happen again. They will drive on the new lads and demand and expect perfection, who knows if we'll win or loose the AI but I can guarantee you on thing we won't be far off.

How many of the players just mentioned would be contenders for the starting
    15 or at least seasoned panelists?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

How many of the players just mentioned would be contenders for the starting
    15 or at least seasoned panelists?

Obviously maher and ger were injured this year but bolger,morrissey,scanlon,evan coady,conor delaney,oillie walsh and jason cleere have got a taste of training this year.billy ryan and john walsh both impressed with the intermediates.I don't think we need drastic changes for next year but I would possibly move joey out to the half back line.I'd be suprised if he was full back next year could cillian be a option at 3?we also need a long term corner back possibly conor delaney or evan cody.luke scanlon is a great prospect but his being riddled with injury for two years.John walsh and bolger have being very good for their clubs so far this season

Possibly all them players will be in contention but it's vitally important that these players get tried out, whether it be the Walsh Cup or the league. Get them on board early and intergrated into the squad asap.

The one issue I would have is that with Div. 1A being a ruthless and unforgiving league in terms of teams playing very strong teams to not get relegated. A defeat or two and you're in a relegation dogfight. It's 5 tough games.

Just a general thought, would lads here be willing to get relegated (not deliberately obviously) but by trying out 5 or 6 news lads during the 5 league games? Take the league serious but give lads their chances. Could you envisage this?

Also, it'd be good, in my opinion, to give some of the lads a break during the early stages of the league esp. if they are involved in club action over Xmas and the New Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Can people stop suggesting Bucks as a full back now please. I assumed it was a joke but people keep saying it. Stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

Can people stop suggesting Bucks as a full back now please. I assumed it was a joke but people keep saying it. Stop.

I'd prefer to see padraic Walsh tried at full back.
    Has the hurling, strength and determination to play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

To be honest I can't see either Padraig or Cillian playing at FB they'd probably be able. Honestly the only current players I think that will get a run there are Joey again, Cody seems to like him. Michael Walsh if he stays injury free and Kieran Joyce. Personally I've always felt this is Joyce's best position but from what I remember Cody has only played him there once. That was the crazy 2014, 5 goal a side league game in the park a few years ago. Joyce had just won the AI with the Rower the previous weekend and had foolishly offered himself up for selection the following Sunday. I think it was unfair and foolish of Cody to select him for that match, also most of the goals that day were from a over all lack of tightness all over the field. Tommy and Hogan were taken off at half time but yet I don't ever recall Joyce getting another opportunity. He played their for KK at underage and I always thought he'd slot in there once JJ left. I don't think Cody will pick him but I think he should.

I can't see him playing C Delaney, E Cody or R Lennon in there but ya never know with him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

To be honest I can't see either Padraig or Cillian playing at FB they'd probably be able. Honestly the only current players I think that will get a run there are Joey again, Cody seems to like him. Michael Walsh if he stays injury free and Kieran Joyce. Personally I've always felt this is Joyce's best position but from what I remember Cody has only played him there once. That was the crazy 2014, 5 goal a side league game in the park a few years ago. Joyce had just won the AI with the Rower the previous weekend and had foolishly offered himself up for selection the following Sunday. I think it was unfair and foolish of Cody to select him for that match, also most of the goals that day were from a over all lack of tightness all over the field. Tommy and Hogan were taken off at half time but yet I don't ever recall Joyce getting another opportunity. He played their for KK at underage and I always thought he'd slot in there once JJ left. I don't think Cody will pick him but I think he should.

I can't see him playing C Delaney, E Cody or R Lennon in there but ya never know with him either.

My opinion is based on the 6 backs that are there at the moment. That could change with a few new faces. To be honest and without being hard on Joyce, There's no way I would trust him at full back.
    Padraic has the hurling in him to command the full back position. I dont believe joey is good enough. I would say try him out in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

JJ Delaney & Tommy Dunne on Tipp Dismantling Kilkenny http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/156402/JJ_Delaney__Tommy_Dunne_on_Tipp_Dismantling_Kilkenny#.V9UOa2HZ-ig.twitter via @NewstalkFM

Brilliant analysis, from JJ, on where Kilkenny went wrong Sunday. Listening to this should give those calling for Joeys head pause for thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Exiled1

I have no doubt that Kilkenny has a massive talent pool. It may take a year or so to get matters back on a winning streak.
    However I am far more curious about who his selectors for next year will be!! His history suggests an 'uno duce, una voce' regime and those arguments on the line do not bode well for Messrs. Lyng and McGarry. I reckon Dempsey is bulletproof after so long and what he brings to the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

citykat wrote: »
    JJ Delaney & Tommy Dunne on Tipp Dismantling Kilkenny http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/156402/JJ_Delaney__Tommy_Dunne_on_Tipp_Dismantling_Kilkenny#.V9UOa2HZ-ig.twitter via @NewstalkFM

Brilliant analysis, from JJ, on where Kilkenny went wrong Sunday. Listening to this should give those calling for Joeys head pause for thought.

Both JJ and Tommy Dunne were surprised at Cody's reluctance to make changes. I know this point has been done to death already but I'm surprised the media didn't give him a harder time over it.

In last years semi-final Callanan gave Padraig Mannion a roasting for the full 70 mins and Cunningham got hammered in the press for failing to try someone else on him...and that was after Galway had won the game.

Exiled1 wrote: »
    I have no doubt that Kilkenny has a massive talent pool. It may take a year or so to get matters back on a winning streak.
    However I am far more curious about who his selectors for next year will be!! His history suggests an 'uno duce, una voce' regime and those arguments on the line do not bode well for Messrs. Lyng and McGarry. I reckon Dempsey is bulletproof after so long and what he brings to the table.

Well one would imagine Cody above all people would have utilised or at least
    Tapped into this massive talent pool achieve three in a row????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Both JJ and Tommy Dunne were surprised at Cody's reluctance to make changes. I know this point has been done to death already but I'm surprised the media didn't give him a harder time over it.

In last years semi-final Callanan gave Padraig Mannion a roasting for the full 70 mins and Cunningham got hammered in the press for failing to try someone else on him...and that was after Galway had won the game.

When you have won as many All Irelands as he has, I'd say the media are far more likely to give him the benefit of the doubt, or take his reasons for not making changes, at face value. The likes of Cunningham do not have that kind of credit built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Well done to the Senior and Intermediate Camogie teams. The pressure exerted by the players reminded me of the hurlers performance in 2006 when Cork were also denied a three in a row. One of my favourite days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Sweet win for Kilkenny.

That Cork wing forward made some show of herself during the handshake.

Well one would imagine Cody above all people would have utilised or at least
    Tapped into this massive talent pool achieve three in a row????

You might find sometime that it takes a decent talent pool to actually win 2 in a row.

I'd be confident that we will have a stronger panel next year and that the team can and will play much better than in this years final. That been said Tipp are a great team which look to be in their prime, Galway if they get Johnny Glynn back look to be improving and Waterford have an excellent players coming through, will be a challange to win anything next year but im sure the Kilkenny players will be seriously motivated to face that challenge

Sweet win for Kilkenny.

That Cork wing forward made some show of herself during the handshake.

Really great wins for both teams after a lot of pain over the last 20 years. Hopefully they will get a fantastic homecoming to show how much their dedication is appreciated in Kilkenny.

Congrats to the girls. That makes it 3 all Ireland titles this year between hurling and camogie - better make some room in the display cabinet.,

As regards hurling we have a good panel and more to be added. I even see Mick Fennelly returning. I would have no problem with Joyce in the full back line as he has lots of experience.

I think that Holden is far too loose. Contrast with how Hickey Willie O' Connor or Tommy would play. They would be up the ass of their opponent and not yards behind swinging one one-handedly on a hurl. He certainly has not come on at all this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

Does anyone know will the girls be going in to Crumlin chilsrens hospital this week?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement