Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭randd1

What U21's or other players are we going to see next year do ye reckon?

Were going to need to try out a few players in the league to bolster the panel, and it's likely we'll have to plan without Larkin, Fennelly and Tyrrell next year too.

John Walsh? Gaffney? Cleere?

James Maher and Aylward will be back to bolster the attack but it's in defence and midfield we need to bolster the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

randd1 wrote: »

Were going to need to try out a few players in the league to bolster the panel, and it's likely we'll have to plan without Larkin, Fennelly and Tyrrell next year too.

James Maher and Aylward will be back to bolster the attack but it's in defence and midfield we need to bolster the most.

Hopefully liam blanchfield and kevin kelly will be stronger next year and james maher and aylward will be additions to the attack and maybe richie leahy/oillie walsh or luke scanlon can make the breakthrough but it's a few defenders we seem short on jason cleere will certainly see some league time but I can't think of to many more,evan coady and conor delaney possibly?tommy walsh is a serious prospect but his only out of minor.Billy ryan and chris bolger are worth a look aswell..I don't think we need huge surgery but we do need fresh blood to strengthen the panel and hopefully the league will be used for this

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

brookville wrote: »
    Hopefully liam blanchfield and kevin kelly will be stronger next year and james maher and aylward will be additions to the attack and maybe richie leahy/oillie walsh or luke scanlon can make the breakthrough but it's a few defenders we seem short on jason cleere will certainly see some league time but I can't think of to many more,evan coady and conor delaney possibly?tommy walsh is a serious prospect but his only out of minor.Billy ryan and chris bolger are worth a look aswell..I don't think we need huge surgery but we do need fresh blood to strengthen the panel and hopefully the league will be used for this

I think they will try to get Rob Lennon into the team for sure and at least some of Diarmuid Cody, Conor O Shea, Joe Lyng and Michael Walsh will get another chance even if some supporters wouldnt be overly excited by that. Perhaps Tom Aylward could get an opportunity if he has a decent club championship.

Apart from that it would look to be younger lads mentioned before, like Jason Cleere, Evan Cody, Conor Delaney and Tommy Walsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

randd1 wrote: »

Defenders is the priority i think. Need to try out lads during the league. We need a lot of cover in defence.

If stuck, could Conor Fogarty be used as a corner back, as before, and try out other midfielders. Probably won't happen but it's an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

See Daragh Joyce was playing for The Rower at the weekend. Is his Aussie rules career over already?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

Defenders is the priority i think. Need to try out lads during the league. We need a lot of cover in defence.

If stuck, could Conor Fogarty be used as a corner back, as before, and try out other midfielders. Probably won't happen but it's an option.
    Did it work out that well for him corner back before

Did it work out that well for him corner back before

I think all options must be looked at. We need to tighten up at the back first, especially options in the full back line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Would someone like Sean O'Shea of Clara be an option for the county panel? I haven't seen him play this year but he looks a good hurler with plenty of pace, he looked like he could be a good option a couple of years ago.

I think all options must be looked at. We need to tighten up at the back first, especially options in the full back line.
    I hope they will Cody will be out this weekend and the next while looking at local matches see who could they call in, James Maher hurled very well last weekend at centre back for his first major game back. The under 21s and minor set up will have to get a big review see where things are going wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The LONG list of nominations for the U-21 Team of the Year have been announced.

45 players... Not one KK player.

That is not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That is not good.

It's not surprising either.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Pretty irrelevant are All Stars at under 21level.

I seem to recall lots of success for Clare and Limerick in recent times whereas we have dominated the senior championship this decade.

That is not good.

Could hardly expect anybody to be nominated after going out to a shock defeat by Westmexath who were actually a decent and very well managed team.

I would feel that with players like John Walsh, Alan Murphy, Liam Blanchfield, Sean Morrissey, Richie Leahy, Luke Scanlon, Jason Cleere, James Maher and Conor Delaney that the 2016 team have an above average amount of senior prospects and possibly even more than teams that have got to all Ireland finals in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Was at the Barrow Rangers vs Kilmacow match. Fairly comfortable win for Barrow Rangers who played some good hurling although they did go a decent period of the second half scoreless. Started evenly enough with 2 points for each team in the first 10mins but then Rangers took over and scored two goals within 5 minutes of each other. Kilmacow didnt really respond and where 10 points down at half time. In the second half Kilmacow tried hard and reduced the deficit to 6 but you felt they always needed a goal to have any real chance. They had two very good goal chances but both were saved and then Barrow Rangers got the insurance goal after a slip by a Kilmacow defender and they sauntered on to a twelve point victory at full time. Barrow Rangers looked fairly decent although its hard to judge as Kilmacow were very poor in the first half. Who are the favourites in the Junior grade this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beffs

It's not surprising either.

Why is that? Why do Kilkeny underperform at underage level. Is there a poorer calibre of players coming through? Is it poor management? Is the ruthless meritocracy that Cody enforces, not in play at under age level, so lads get too cosy in their jerseys? I've heard rumblings about the last one.

Beffs wrote: »
    Why is that? Why do Kilkeny underperform at underage level. Is there a poorer calibre of players coming through? Is it poor management? Is the ruthless meritocracy that Cody enforces, not in play at under age level, so lads get too cosy in their jerseys? I've heard rumblings about the last one.

Its not suprising because the under 21's lost in the first round in what was thought of as a shock. The minors did well in 2013, 14 and 15 and lost by 1 point after extra time to a decent Dublin team in Parnell Park where it is difficult for any team to win. The fact that our under 21's before this year were not involved much in the senior set up, in stark contrast to Wexford and Dublin where a lot of the under 21's had serious experience is making the grade a struggle for Kilkenny. Ironically as the senior Kilkenny squad has gotten weaker that has changed this year.

Beffs wrote: »

It just wasn't surprising because all that team did was lose to westmeath.

The other things are all interesting and important questions but I'm in no position to comment on them at the moment, don't get too see club and underage hurling in Kilkenny anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Quarter final draw

Dicksboro v Clara
    St Martins v Rower/ Danesfort
    O Loughlins v James Stephens
    Shamrocks v Mullinavat/ Bennettsbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Quarter final draw

Dicksboro v Clara
    I fancy Clara to beat Dicksboro, O'Loughlins to overcome James Stephens. Shamrocks should beat the winner of Mullinavat and Bennettsbridge (Rob Lennon's injury is a big blow for the Bridge)
    City Boys to draw their match

Quarter final draw

Dicksboro v Clara
    I fancy Clara to beat Dicksboro, O'Loughlins to overcome James Stephens. Shamrocks should beat the winner of Mullinavat and Bennettsbridge (Rob Lennon's injury is a big blow for the Bridge)
    Martin's to beat the winner of Rower Danesfort match

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »

How serious is lennons injury? Cillian buckley is also expected to be sidelined

blackcard wrote: »

It looked like a bad knee injury but haven't heard anything official

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I don't know about Lennon but Buckley should play for the Boro unless he has a further set back but I expect he'll start v Clara.

Anyone hear anything about the injuries to Cillian Buckley or Rob Lennon?

How many All Stars will the Cats get this year do you reckon?

Surely the beaten finalists will get 4 or 5?

Scruff, Paul Murphy, P draig Walsh, Richie Hogan???

TJ in with a shout?

TJ in with a shout?

I think they will get 3, 4 at most tho, Eoin Murphy, Richie Hogan and possibly Padraig and Walter Walsh. Tipp will get 7 at least, Waterford may get 3, and Galway will get 1.

Topcat32 wrote: »

TJ in with a shout?

I think they will get 3, 4 at most tho, Eoin Murphy, Richie Hogan and possibly Padraig and Walter Walsh. Tipp will get 7 at least, Waterford may get 3, and Galway will get 1.

I clean forgot about Wally!!

Funny thing is as winners in;

2015 - we got 6.

2014 - we got 5.

2012 - we got 4.

Bearing in mind KK won the All Ireland these years, does anyone not think it's a bit light?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Tullaroan beat Shocks handy enough today, 5 - 16 to 1 -16, the 4 Walsh brothers, Tommy,Shane,Pauric and Martin were all standouts, Tommy played half forward and got a good few scores in second half when he moved into space off the ball, looked very trim and fit today. Pauric centre forward and got 2 possibly 3 goals? they all kinda came from runs through the centre, had a pretty good battle with John Dalton who was shocks best defender,

game was a decent battle before a few goals killed it off, Tullaroan definitely look like favorites for the intermediate, Richie Power came on at about the 40 min mark and lasted 5 minutes before a dirty pull broke his finger. walked straight off the pitch, did look very mobile on the knee which was good to see. Mick Rice on bench but didn't play. John Power was anonymous.

Only seen the second half of the Dunnamaggin/Ballyragget match and the game was over as a contest about 5 minutes into the half. Kevin Kelly went off with a knee injury, tried to play on so not so sure how bad the injury was. The brennans looked decent but to be honest Dunna were fairly woeful in the 30 minutes i seen.

draw for quarters
    Tullogher Rosbercon v Thomastown
    Glenmore v St Patricks
    Carrickshock v Lisdowney
    Tullaroan v St Lachtains

Cant see anyone beating Tullaroan but depending on weather at this time of year any match could turn into a dogfight and anyones game then

Tullaroan beat Shocks handy enough today, 5 - 16 to 1 -16, the 4 Walsh brothers, Tommy,Shane,Pauric and Martin were all standouts, Tommy played half forward and got a good few scores in second half when he moved into space off the ball, looked very trim and fit today. Pauric centre forward and got 2 possibly 3 goals? they all kinda came from runs through the centre, had a pretty good battle with John Dalton who was shocks best defender,

game was a decent battle before a few goals killed it off, Tullaroan definitely look like favorites for the intermediate, Richie Power came on at about the 40 min mark and lasted 5 minutes before a dirty pull broke his finger. walked straight off the pitch, did look very mobile on the knee which was good to see. Mick Rice on bench but didn't play. John Power was anonymous.

Only seen the second half of the Dunnamaggin/Ballyragget match and the game was over as a contest about 5 minutes into the half. Kevin Kelly went off with a knee injury, tried to play on so not so sure how bad the injury was. The brennans looked decent but to be honest Dunna were fairly woeful in the 30 minutes i seen.

draw for quarters
    Tullogher Rosbercon v Thomastown
    Glenmore v St Patricks
    Carrickshock v Lisdowney
    Tullaroan v St Lachtains

Cant see anyone beating Tullaroan but depending on weather at this time of year any match could turn into a dogfight and anyones game then
    Couldn't see St Lachtains coming near them next weekend poor match last night in Tullaroon.

• Advertisement

Couldn't see St Lachtains coming near them next weekend poor match last night in Tullaroon.

Only seen Freshford once this year myself but id say your right. Major shock if they won

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Is Richie Power gone for Carrickshock with a broken finger?

What way will results go this weekend hope it stays fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's Dublin v Kilkenny in the first round of the 2017 u21 Leinster champo. Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Only seen Freshford once this year myself but id say your right. Major shock if they won

You may be right,but Tullaroan haven't won a championship match since 2008.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It's Dublin v Kilkenny in the first round of the 2017 u21 Leinster champo. Should be interesting.
    home or away

• Advertisement

Seriously? Thats some monkey to have on your back but they do look a more focused team this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Incredible stat...is that definitely correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Incredible stat...is that definitely correct?

As far as I know it's correct,Padraig Walsh has never won a championship match with Tullaroan, now to be honest they should beat Freshford and be favourites to win it out but it could be in the back of they're minds.

home or away

Dublin was first name out so I presume PP...tricky!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Eeep that's a tough draw for us. It could be another very short summer for the U-21 team again :(

• Advertisement

Dublin was first name out so I presume PP...tricky!!!

We played them away last year so I would of thought it has to be at home.I know it was said this year but we should have a decent u21 side next year.conor delaney,cleere scanlon,blanchfield,morrissey will have a bit of experience with the seniors and john walsh,richie leahy,tommy walsh are great prospects but dublin away is a very tricky draw

I presume there'll be new management in place?

I presume there'll be new management in place?

Incumbent was asked personally by Ned to take the reins last year. Wouldn't look great to throw him under a bus after 1 yr?

Would it be usual to give the job to someone with no managerial experience? What is the story there? I know he was part of the coaching set up that won an Intermediate club title a few years ago, but it's a massive, massive job for a managerial rookie.

Would it be usual to give the job to someone with no managerial experience? What is the story there? I know he was part of the coaching set up that won an Intermediate club title a few years ago, but it's a massive, massive job for a managerial rookie.

His managerial career mught be a little flimsy but his playing career particularly at the latter end was stellar. If he rocked up in any other county with that career behind him he'd have his pick of any job.
    Not sure what the story is in other counties but it wouldn't be considered a 'massive, massive' job here. It's just another underage grade. Every manager here is living in the shadow of the great one. As long as the seniors keep banging it out, it's opium for the masses. Everything else, good or bad, flies under the radar of most people.

Ah yeah, I know what you mean. When I said massive, I meant its a big deal in the context of the succcess that Kilkenny have had in recent years. There is a level of pressure on the underage managers to keep the assembly line flowing, that there wouldn't be in other less successful counties. Or maybe I am just presuming that there is. While ye were hoovering up all the All Irelands under Cody, there weren't a massive amount of underage All Irelands being won, so the lack of success could stay under the radar. But given all the retirements over the past few years, are the underage grades not under more of a microscope now?

Ah yeah, I know what you mean. When I said massive, I meant its a big deal in the context of the succcess that Kilkenny have had in recent years. There is a level of pressure on the underage managers to keep the assembly line flowing, that there wouldn't be in other less successful counties. Or maybe I am just presuming that there is. While ye were hoovering up all the All Irelands under Cody, there weren't a massive amount of underage All Irelands being won, so the lack of success could stay under the radar. But given all the retirements over the past few years, are the underage grades not under more of a microscope now?

I think the standard of the minor teams has been good in this decade, with 2 all ireland wins and 2 strong teams in 2013 and 2015 backed up by dominance at schools level. Under 21 has suffered from the Senior team being so strong and I think Kilkenny have always been less enthusiastic about it than the minor grade. Some very good Kilkenny teams on paper have gone out early in it before including if I remember correctly a team featuring DJ Carey, Charlie Carter and Pat O'Neill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Does anyone know the story with the minor management? I heard a few weeks back that Pat Hoban stood down but haven't heard anything in the meantime about possible replacements

Don't know why anyone should think we suffer at underage level. Our record is second to none - leading the minor stats and joint leaders of the under-21 stats. Put that one to bed.

As for All Stars given that we are Kilkenny we will be lucky to get 3 - for keeper Pauric and Walter.

Also did we ever get 15 nominations as Tipp surprisingly have.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement