Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

unrealtime wrote: »
    As for All Stars given that we are Kilkenny we will be lucky to get 3 - for keeper Pauric and Walter.

Also did we ever get 15 nominations as Tipp surprisingly have.

I put this up last week i think:

As winners;

2015 - we got 6.

2014 - we got 5.

2012 - we got 4.

Our downfall is during these years, we were too successful and the people who pick them got bored!!

Tipp win one and get 15 nominations but some of KK's greatest teams only get 4 and 5 All Stars. Even Waterford get more nominations than KK this year i think. Not sour grapes just pointing out reality.

I suppose it illustrates our high level this past years but my issue is that we should have been having 15 nominations every year when we had the best teams ever in hurling.

History will judge them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Tullaroan still on course for the intermediate championship after an exciting win in a high scoring thriller against Freshford today. Padraig Walsh played well at centre forward and you wonder will Cody try him in the forwards next year. Six goals scored today and could have been more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

blackcard wrote: »
    Tullaroan still on course for the intermediate championship after an exciting win in a high scoring thriller against Freshford today. Padraig Walsh played well at centre forward and you wonder will Cody try him in the forwards next year. Six goals scored today and could have been more.

He was good two years ago when he was tried up in the forwards.how did james maher go?

I'd say P draig, like Tommy, could player anywhere.

What about the other 2?

brookville wrote: »

He was good two years ago when he was tried up in the forwards.how did james maher go?
    James Maher was solid at centre back but the best centre half I saw today was Joey Holden

James Maher was solid at centre back but the best centre half I saw today was Joey Holden[/quote

Joey done well but the vat were very poor and didn't offer much but ya have to hand it to ballyhale even with the few injuries it'll take a serious team to beat them.is it a open draw for the semi finals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Personally I would like to see us line out as follows
    Scruffy
    Murphy, Joey, Prender
    Walsh, Joyce, Buck
    Fogarty, Richie
    Wally, TJ, Power/Lester (which ever is going better in training I'd prefer to start Lester and bring on Power)
    Blanch, Colin, Larks

I could see Richie and TJ changing like Richie and Fennelly did too T. De Burca in the semi replay and they'd cause R Maher untold trouble. If you look at Tipps players in the middle third where they expect their going to come and hit us hard it includes 4 lads who haven't played in an AI before and two are in their first season thats a lot of inexperience in that vital middle third.
    Tipps middle third players- this match would be there (?th)AI apperance (including the drawn match)
    Seamus Kennedy(1st), Ronan Maher(1st), Padraig Maher(6th)
    Brendan Maher(6th-1 as sub), Michael Breen (1st)
    Dan McCormick (1st), Bonner(5th), Noel McGrath(6th)

Compare that to our middle third players as named above
    Walsh(4th- 1 as sub), Joyce(5th), Buck(5th)
    Fogarty(4th), Richie(8th- 1 as sub)
    Wally(4th), TJ(10th- 3 as sub), Power(4th- 2 as sub)
    The as sub means they took the field, I didn't count games or years where they stayed on the bench lots of our lads only made the team in '12 or '14 but still have had the experience of being there on the pitch on at least 4 occassions.

I would say with 4 AI debutants in that middle third, at least 1 of them is in for a tough day, 1 will probably excel and the other two could go either way.

The likely match ups
    Murphy v John McGrath- I would be happy Murphy will keep him fairly quite we won't ever stop him scoring we just need to keep him out of the net
    Joey v Callanan- Joey should be really confident after the semi's, again keep him out of the net and let Murphy sweep up the loose ball
    Prender v Bubbles- strangely enough I'm happy at the thought of Prender on Bubbles, Prender won't dominate him but he'll go about his business quietly

Padraig v Noel McGrath- I'd be happy if Padraig stops him spraying it around and wins all in the air
    Joyce v Bonner- I think Joyce has the winning of this one
    Buck v Dan McCormick- Buck should get well on top here with any luck, McCormick might win the odd high ball but after that it should all be Buckley

Conor and Richie v Brendan Maher and Michael Breen- Ideally I'd like to see Conor on Brendan and Richie ghosting away from Breen giving him something to concentrate on and curtail his forward drives and if it doesn't Richie will run amok

Wally v Padraig Maher- I think Wally can keep him quite and cause trouble I think it's important to stop Maher making catches that inspire Tipp.
    TJ v Ronan Maher- if TJ can do what the Waterford U21's did to Ronan Maher we'd practically have the game won.
    John Power v Seamus Kennedy- I'd be happy with a break even here.

Blanchield v Micky Cahill- High ball in here and Blanch would cause lots of trouble.
    Colin v Barry- I think Colin could run riot in here if we play smart we can give him loads of joy in there.
    Larkin v Cathal Barrett- Larkin probably won't spend long in here but when he is high ball over Barrett is the name of the game.

I'd love to see Larkin and Blanch camp out in their respective corners for the first 15 mins and we send low diagonal ball into Colin this would cause loads of trouble for Barry. If their men don't want to stay out there with them let the ball into Blanch & Larks and tip it over the bar running back out.

All of this is based on us playing at least too the level we played against Waterford the second day if not higher and even at that it'll be very close I reckon. There's never much between us but if we can keep them to less than two goals I reckon we'll have it in the end.

Hindsight is a great thing really. A couple of gems in there but joey being really confident Joyce having bonners number and Larkin beating Barry are gems....

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Hindsight is a great thing really. A couple of gems in there but joey being really confident Joyce having bonners number and Larkin beating Barry are gems....

He could only go on past experience to be fair, bonner did nothing in the 2014 replay, Larkin has always played well against Tipp. Barry is a good hurler but still one of Tipps few faults is that the full back line do give a fair few goal chances even when Tipp are dominating the wider game. Interesting to get the Clonmel view on hurling tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Mentioning Clonmel and hurling in the same sentence is somewhat reckless

• Advertisement

Topcat32 wrote: »

He could only go on past experience to be fair, bonner did nothing in the 2014 replay, Larkin has always played well against Tipp. Barry is a good hurler but still one of Tipps few faults is that the full back line do give a fair few goal chances even when Tipp are dominating the wider game. Interesting to get the Clonmel view on hurling tho.

......and over a month after the match!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Coogee

James Maher was solid at centre back but the best centre half I saw today was Joey Holden

Solid?? Padraig Walsh cleaned him, scoring 1-7 from play off him! Best club match I seen in years. End to end stuff. Tullaroan probably deserved to win in that they were more consistent over the hour. Two poor matches in park today. Village have not won a championship match in 6 or 7 years now.. Clara will take stopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Two pathetic quarter finals in the park today. First game was dire and the second one was so bad that I had to exit at half time.

Coogee wrote: »
    Solid?? Padraig Walsh cleaned him, scoring 1-7 from play off him! Best club match I seen in years. End to end stuff. Tullaroan probably deserved to win in that they were more consistent over the hour. Two poor matches in park today. Village have not won a championship match in 6 or 7 years now.. Clara will take stopping.

To be fair his only back from a serious injury and marking one of the form players in the country.two desperate matches today mark kelly and luke scanlon the pick of the first match and bolger was very good for clara with lester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭kksaints

Tight ending in the Thomastown-Tullagher. Thomastown got a soft free to go ahead in the 5th minute of injury time in the second half. But Tullagher had one last chance from the puckout and Walter Walsh did a great solo and scored from a tight enough angle to draw the match, Not the greatest of matches especially the first half which was dire but it was exciting for the last 15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

St lachtains had the wining of it but left it behind the collision Maher was involved in slowed him down he has a long way to go get back up there.

• Advertisement

unrealtime wrote: »
    Mentioning Clonmel and hurling in the same sentence is somewhat reckless

Seamus Kennedy and Theo English might disagree.

Interesting fare between Glenmore and Ballyragget with the latter being in the lead up to late on. Joe Brennan got some nice scores as did Eoin Murphy but Alan Murphy was quiet. Ballyragget looked the better team though Glenmore missed a penalty and a late chance to score a winning point. Kevin Kelly did not start due to a hamstring injury, came on as a sub and lasted two minutes.
    Luke Scanlon was the best on show during two disappointing matches in the park but needs to bulk up to be able to compete at inter county level.
    Ballyhale and Clara look to be the best two at senior level with Tullaroan still favourites to win at intermediate level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Interesting fare between Glenmore and Ballyragget with the latter being in the lead up to late on. Joe Brennan got some nice scores as did Eoin Murphy but Alan Murphy was quiet. Ballyragget looked the better team though Glenmore missed a penalty and a late chance to score a winning point. Kevin Kelly did not start due to a hamstring injury, came on as a sub and lasted two minutes.
    Luke Scanlon was the best on show during two disappointing matches in the park but needs to bulk up to be able to compete at inter county level.
    Ballyhale and Clara look to be the best two at senior level with Tullaroan still favourites to win at intermediate level

Agreed with all of the above. Ballyragget looked to have the slight edge on Glenmore who heavily relied on Eoin Murphy for all scores. Joe Brennan got some nice scores but didnt get enough ball fed into him at all. Michael Brennan missed a terrible free on 21. Tullaroan will win the intermediate title.

Mark Kelly and Luke Scanlon were the two stand out players in 1st game which was a terribly poor game. Both Kelly and Scanlon were not on kilkenny panel this year which begs the question why not? Mark Bergin and Diarmuid Cody both on kilkenny panel and both were terrible today with Cody taken off he was that bad.

Village looked clueless and the positioning of Eoin Larkin in a deep midfield role which saw Jackie Tyrell and Larkin beside eachother for most of the game hitting a tonne of ball into a completely toothless full forward line was mind boggling. How the Village management did not see fit to shove Larkin into a more advanced role to full forward was incredibly strange. Village a very poor side. Gaels not much better. Gaels were very fortunate to get a lucky goal against the run of play approaching halftime. Clara v Boro another poor standard game with Dicksboro utterly shocking. Clara romped home by 15. Chris Bolger looked very lively and dangerous.

Ballyhale destroyed Mullinavat playing in second gear. Never had to break a sweat. TJ got a fantastic goal. Ballyhale look to be the team to beat.

Also just noticed Mooncoin had a great win over Emeralds in the junior championship yesterday. Mooncoin have a nice young team. Emeralds must be very poor to drop back and not even make a decent cut in their first year back at junior. Anybody at this game give a report?

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Agreed with all of the above. Ballyragget looked to have the slight edge on Glenmore who heavily relied on Eoin Murphy for all scores. Joe Brennan got some nice scores but didnt get enough ball fed into him at all. Michael Brennan missed a terrible free on 21. Tullaroan will win the intermediate title.

Mark Kelly and Luke Scanlon were the two stand out players in 1st game which was a terribly poor game. Both Kelly and Scanlon were not on kilkenny panel this year which begs the question why not? Mark Bergin and Diarmuid Cody both on kilkenny panel and both were terrible today with Cody taken off he was that bad.

Village looked clueless and the positioning of Eoin Larkin in a deep midfield role which saw Jackie Tyrell and Larkin beside eachother for most of the game hitting a tonne of ball into a completely toothless full forward line was mind boggling. How the Village management did not see fit to shove Larkin into a more advanced role to full forward was incredibly strange. Village a very poor side. Gaels not much better. Gaels were very fortunate to get a lucky goal against the run of play approaching halftime. Clara v Boro another poor standard game with Dicksboro utterly shocking. Clara romped home by 15. Chris Bolger looked very lively and dangerous.

Ballyhale destroyed Mullinavat playing in second gear. Never had to break a sweat. TJ got a fantastic goal. Ballyhale look to be the team to beat.

Also just noticed Mooncoin had a great win over Emeralds in the junior championship yesterday. Mooncoin have a nice young team. Emeralds must be very poor to drop back and not even make a decent cut in their first year back at junior. Anybody at this game give a report?

How are James Stephens gone so bad in all honesty? You'd imagine with their facilities and numbers that they would be very very strong. Granted its a competitive championship. When did they last win the county? Around 12 was it?

How are James Stephens gone so bad in all honesty? You'd imagine with their facilities and numbers that they would be very very strong. Granted its a competitive championship. When did they last win the county? Around 12 was it?

Won it in 11. Havant got past a quarter final since 2012. Very poor. No forwards. Eoin Larkin dragged them up front while Jackie kept them together at the back for past ten years but they simply cannot keep doing it. If you take Luke Scanlon out of the side today the Village would have been beaten by 10+ points. Players like two Cody's, Matt Ruth and David Walton just to name a few have simply not done it at all over the years. O'Loughlin Gaels will have to improve a lot if they harbour ambitions of winning county honours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Comerman

Won it in 11. Havant got past a quarter final since 2012. Very poor. No forwards. Eoin Larkin dragged them up front while Jackie kept them together at the back for past ten years but they simply cannot keep doing it. If you take Luke Scanlon out of the side today the Village would have been beaten by 10+ points. Players like two Cody's, Matt Ruth and David Walton just to name a few have simply not done it at all over the years. O'Loughlin Gaels will have to improve a lot if they harbour ambitions of winning county honours.
    Very hard to see how Donnacha Cody was left on for the full game, any time he got the ball he either dropped it or his hurl and putting Larkin in corner forward for the last minute of the game seemed mental. Was he playing deep midfield/half back to make up for Jackies lack of speed on Kelly??

Also just noticed Mooncoin had a great win over Emeralds in the junior championship yesterday. Mooncoin have a nice young team. Emeralds must be very poor to drop back and not even make a decent cut in their first year back at junior. Anybody at this game give a report?[/quote]

I heard mooncoin won a penalty in the last minute and went for the goal and scored while only being a point down.callan had a big win over graig but mooncoin probaly favourites now.mooncoin themselves have being down their 2/3 years it's a very hard grade to come up out of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Comerman wrote: »
    Very hard to see how Donnacha Cody was left on for the full game, any time he got the ball he either dropped it or his hurl and putting Larkin in corner forward for the last minute of the game seemed mental. Was he playing deep midfield/half back to make up for Jackies lack of speed on Kelly??

Presume they were hoping that he might snatch a goal for them similar to one he scored last year from the corner? Would agree with a lot of what has already been posted. Can't understand why they played him so deep in that second half; hitting ball into where he himself should have been. Village bar Larkin and Scanlon were abject. Scanlon in particular looked very comfortable at this level for a guy of his age. Still though looks a little light for inter county imo. Didn't have a programme yesterday and only realised Diarmuid Cody was playing when he reacted furiously while being taken off.
    Given his prominence yesterday particularly in the first half and if he can keep it up for the rest of the season, you'd be hoping Kelly might get another crack for Kilkenny.

Boro were very poor and seemed to give up the ghost completely after the goal was scored. Even Gaffney, who is normally very accurate, was poor on the frees. Buckley was hobbling from practically the first tackle - there was a doubt about him playing at all. For a lot of the first half he seemed to be looking at the sideline for somebody to haul him off.
    Wouldn't be as bullish about Clara as some. They were very average for long spells in that game. They were finding it as hard as the Boro to get scores. Bolger looked lively as he usually does. O'Shea was anonymous. Lester was his usual 100% effort and scored a great sideline from way out on the old stand side. Pender was rock solid in defence.
    From what I have seen it's Shamrocks to lose yet again.

citykat wrote: »
    Presume they were hoping that he might snatch a goal for them similar to one he scored last year from the corner? Would agree with a lot of what has already been posted. Can't understand why they played him so deep in that second half; hitting ball into where he himself should have been. Village bar Larkin and Scanlon were abject. Scanlon in particular looked very comfortable at this level for a guy of his age. Still though looks a little light for inter county imo. Didn't have a programme yesterday and only realised Diarmuid Cody was playing when he reacted furiously while being taken off.
    Given his prominence yesterday particularly in the first half and if he can keep it up for the rest of the season, you'd be hoping Kelly might get another crack for Kilkenny.

Boro were very poor and seemed to give up the ghost completely after the goal was scored. Even Gaffney, who is normally very accurate, was poor on the frees. Buckley was hobbling from practically the first tackle - there was a doubt about him playing at all. For a lot of the first half he seemed to be looking at the sideline for somebody to haul him off.
    Wouldn't be as bullish about Clara as some. They were very average for long spells in that game. They were finding it as hard as the Boro to get scores. Bolger looked lively as he usually does. O'Shea was anonymous. Lester was his usual 100% effort and scored a great sideline from way out on the old stand side. Pender was rock solid in defence.
    From what I have seen it's Shamrocks to lose yet again.

How players like Conor O'Shea, Diarmuid Cody and Conor Martin are on the senior intercounty panel is beyond me. They are so poor at club level and are arguably even out of their depth at club level in some games.

I noticed young cody abuse the Stephens management when taken off alright which is very poor attitude.

Village lost the game on sideline by leaving their main marksman for past ten years so deep in midfield whole game hitting ball after ball into Donnacha Cody who looks finished. He could not win a ball, was dropping every ball. O'Loughlin Gaels are no great shakes either who got a goal against the run of play approaching halftime.

Agree on Clara. Look hot and cold. Look like a team stuttering along without hitting any real feign of form. Bolger looks the only real bright spark up front. John Phelan tries hard but is offering Clara little at full forward.

Shamrocks even without Michael Fennelly look as if they may not be stopped. The positioning of Mark Aylward and Shefflin in midfield seems to be a good move as both are good hurlers who distribute good supply to their forwards with Richie Reid and Holden very good in the Shamrocks half back line. Their full back line probably looks to be their weakest area.

Most games since the conclusion of the All-Ireland Senior hurling final have been of poor technical standard. All 4 senior quarter finals were very poor. Concerning and reflective of the lack of depth that exists within the kilkenny panel currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Unfortunately Mark Kelly exited himself from the senior panel this year - a big loss- but he has not been treated too well anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

"How players like Conor O'Shea, Diarmuid Cody and Conor Martin are on the senior intercounty panel is beyond me. They are so poor at club level and are arguably even out of their depth at club level in some games.

I noticed young cody abuse the Stephens management when taken off alright which is very poor attitude. "

Agree with most of what Dobbs has to say. You mention your disbelief at how some of the guys are on the senior when not up to the required standard. The problem really and its something people need to accept and that the standard and strength of hurling in Kk is no where near like it use to pre 2010. There not too many lads out there who you would say are lording it at club level and deserve to be given a shot with the seniors.

John Walsh and Noel Mcgree are maybe just two lads for me who I would love to see tried but after thats its slim pickings. I know Mcgree was asked in few years ago and declined and Cody doesnt really do second opportunities but still like to see brought in. The worry for me is full back because we might have seen the end of Joeys full back days. If you looking at club games there no real outstanding other full backs out there that comes to mind to bring in. The best out of a bad pick for me would be Tom Aylward or James Gannon but size and height would be huge worry with Gannon.

I was at the Emeralds V Mooncoin and for drama this was an unbelievable game. Mooncoin won 3 penalties in the game and successfully converted one of them. By truth Mooncoin should have blown them out the gate as they missed some great chances in the first 10mins. Conor Martin and Taggy were very good as you would expect them to stand out at this level.

Was in the park yesterday and it think it is safe to assume that Diarmuid Cody was injured? He never even remotely got into the game where as atleast Donnacha tried to get stuck in. Looking at the village bench their options were limited so not surpised to see Donnacha playin. I thought they would have brought on Drennan for a goal threat But maybe stupidly they were saving him for the Junior match which was played afters last night. Scanlon is a huge prospect and they way he solos and glides past people is very similar to Larkin and he well able to pick his scores too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Comerman

citykat wrote: »
    Presume they were hoping that he might snatch a goal for them similar to one he scored last year from the corner? .
    I agree but what got me was why did they wait until the last minute of the game? as others have said he was clearing the ball out of the half backs to his own"empty" position.

Noddy33 wrote: »
    "How players like Conor O'Shea, Diarmuid Cody and Conor Martin are on the senior intercounty panel is beyond me. They are so poor at club level and are arguably even out of their depth at club level in some games.

I noticed young cody abuse the Stephens management when taken off alright which is very poor attitude. "

Agree with most of what Dobbs has to say. You mention your disbelief at how some of the guys are on the senior when not up to the required standard. The problem really and its something people need to accept and that the standard and strength of hurling in Kk is no where near like it use to pre 2010. There not too many lads out there who you would say are lording it at club level and deserve to be given a shot with the seniors.

John Walsh and Noel Mcgree are maybe just two lads for me who I would love to see tried but after thats its slim pickings. I know Mcgree was asked in few years ago and declined and Cody doesnt really do second opportunities but still like to see brought in. The worry for me is full back because we might have seen the end of Joeys full back days. If you looking at club games there no real outstanding other full backs out there that comes to mind to bring in. The best out of a bad pick for me would be Tom Aylward or James Gannon but size and height would be huge worry with Gannon.

I was at the Emeralds V Mooncoin and for drama this was an unbelievable game. Mooncoin won 3 penalties in the game and successfully converted one of them. By truth Mooncoin should have blown them out the gate as they missed some great chances in the first 10mins. Conor Martin and Taggy were very good as you would expect them to stand out at this level.

Was in the park yesterday and it think it is safe to assume that Diarmuid Cody was injured? He never even remotely got into the game where as atleast Donnacha tried to get stuck in. Looking at the village bench their options were limited so not surpised to see Donnacha playin. I thought they would have brought on Drennan for a goal threat But maybe stupidly they were saving him for the Junior match which was played afters last night. Scanlon is a huge prospect and they way he solos and glides past people is very similar to Larkin and he well able to pick his scores too.

I agree with alot of what's being said the few matches I saw I thought scanlon,bolger,leahy and john walsh all stood out which wasn't suprising as we all know the potential they have but it's backs we need and definitely a safe full back but there's not many in the country let alone county.Joey is now at six for his club so id say we won't c him at 3 next year he'll probaly be at wing back.it's going to be intresting to c what he tries next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JaffaP

Semi Final Draw:

The Rower v O'Loughlins
    Clara v Ballyhale

Intermediate:

Tullaroan v Carrickshock
    Thomastown/Tullogher v Glenmore/Ballyragget

Junior:

Callan v Dicksboro
    B&W/Barrow Rangers v Mooncoin

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Looks like a trip to wexford to meet davys new crew

• Advertisement

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Looks like a trip to wexford to meet davys new crew

It's probably not the draw wexford wanted.I'd expect davy to get a bounce from his players and possibly get the likes of guiney and a few more back but they will probaly put a lot into trying to get promotion from 1b which won't be easy with galway and limerick.When will cody be ratified or will all the backroom team stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Board will wait until cody decides what he is doing.cant see him going.actually looking forward to how we bounce back and to see what new players step forward.renewed season ticket yesterday.

Entertaining match between Glenmore and Ballyragget with a one point win for the former after extra time. Ballyragget missed a great goal chance at the end but Glenmore probably were the better team on the day. Eoin Murphy was like a magnet to the ball for much of the match and landed three frees from over 95 yards. Joe Brennan was good with ball in hand. Overall, Glenmore will have to improve as they gave away too many goal chances. Ger Aylward came on as a sub but hardly touched the ball.

Could Scruff be an outfield option?

Entertaining match between Glenmore and Ballyragget with a one point win for the former after extra time. Ballyragget missed a great goal chance at the end but Glenmore probably were the better team on the day. Eoin Murphy was like a magnet to the ball for much of the match and landed three frees from over 95 yards. Joe Brennan was good with ball in hand. Overall, Glenmore will have to improve as they gave away too many goal chances. Ger Aylward came on as a sub but hardly touched the ball.

Ballyragget have suffered some serious heartbreak since winning the Junior club All Ireland.

They've lost around 2 or 3 intermediate finals afair by a point or two? Clara who narrowly beat them one year went on and won the county the following year so it might indicate they could well hold their own if they could break the glass ceiling. Glenmore's stock seems to be on the rise again? How are Young Irelands these times? They seem to have fallen off the map

Ballyragget have suffered some serious heartbreak since winning the Junior club All Ireland.

They've lost around 2 or 3 intermediate finals afair by a point or two? Clara who narrowly beat them one year went on and won the county the following year so it might indicate they could well hold their own if they could break the glass ceiling. Glenmore's stock seems to be on the rise again? How are Young Irelands these times? They seem to have fallen off the map

It must be hearbreak for the bally boys.Kevin kelly obviously a huge loss.think its 3 county finals in 4 years they lost and beaten today in a quarter final by a point in extra time.young Ireland's are in the relegation final next week they've being here a couple of years ago but bet mooncoin in a replay if I remember correctly.like dunnamaggin and ballycallan who were winning senior finals 15 years ago it's a middle of the road intermediate team now

Could Scruff be an outfield option?
    I am a great believer in playing the best players in their best position and Eoin is one of the best goalkeepers in the country. If he was to be played outfield,midfield would be my choice. He played well in that position both days against Ballyragget and scored some very good points. I am not sure that he has the engine that seems to be required of modern midfielders but can compensate with his scoring ability.

I am a great believer in playing the best players in their best position and Eoin is one of the best goalkeepers in the country. If he was to be played outfield,midfield would be my choice. He played well in that position both days against Ballyragget and scored some very good points. I am not sure that he has the engine that seems to be required of modern midfielders but can compensate with his scoring ability.

He is the best, pure and simple. All neutrals and supporters of other counties would agree. He is phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Moosey15

At both games and am convinced Murphy would be good enough out the field ,the problem of course is how to replace him ,he scored some outrageous points from way out the field both days and looks so composed...st pats like mayo ....they are good enough but just can't seem to get over the line ....feel they have the players to thrive and survive at senior......btw anybody have an opinion on his brothers free taking technique??to me it looked like every single free he takes is illegal....resting it on the bas for what seems like an age ......????

• Advertisement

Moosey15 wrote: »
    At both games and am convinced Murphy would be good enough out the field ,the problem of course is how to replace him ,he scored some outrageous points from way out the field both days and looks so composed...st pats like mayo ....they are good enough but just can't seem to get over the line ....feel they have the players to thrive and survive at senior......btw anybody have an opinion on his brothers free taking technique??to me it looked like every single free he takes is illegal....resting it on the bas for what seems like an age ......????
    DJ had a similar technique as had Eoin Kelly, Eddie Keher back in the day. Basically, if he is on your team, it is legal. If not, it is illegal. I have never seen a referee blow it up though. But, I agree that Alan Murphy's technique is borderline. It seems to rest on his hurl an age.

Moosey15 wrote: »

What people tend to forget about Mayo is that they get up off the canvas and come back every year. While you can criticise teams for not finding that ingredient to get over the line, at the same time they must be praised for having the mental strength to regroup and come back. Dont forget also that Ballyragget have made a seamless transition from Junior to Intermediate.

DJ had a similar technique as had Eoin Kelly, Eddie Keher back in the day. Basically, if he is on your team, it is legal. If not, it is illegal. I have never seen a referee blow it up though. But, I agree that Alan Murphy's technique is borderline. It seems to rest on his hurl an age.
    Funny you should say that as when discussing this today many said the dodger got away with it for years !!!!!but not as obvious as Murphys technique,

Not intended to be a criticism of the team ,I feel they have been extremely unlucky at times over the past 3 years and indeed showed great bottle to come back today ,just believe they would do justice to the senior grade if only they could get there ....bringing on Kevin Kelly the last day was a catostrophic mistake by st pats management...he could well have been available today if he had not been played last week ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Not sure I would agree that Glenmore were the better team on the day. First half was all Glenmore and they fully deserved their 9 point lead at half time. However for the remainder of the game and in extra time St Pats were by far the better team for me and only the outstanding long range point scoring of Eoin and Alan Murphy kept Glenmore in it. The problem for St. Pats was that they had 4 excellent goal scoring chances in extra time and failed to score even a single point from them. It just wasn't to be their day but I think they'll be back knocking on the door next year. Glenmore would need to tighten up a lot at the back as blackcard said, they were very easily opened at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭randd1

Two very disappointing games in the park today, hard to believe they were senior SF's.

Not much cut in either, some good skill and good scores alright, but they both felt like challenge matches apart from the 15 minutes towards the end of each game.

Thought Martin Comerford was the standout forward of the day, mostly because he was the main only forward who attempted to run at the goal any chance he got.

All in all, the standard if senior hurling in Kilkenny is slipping a lot. The last few years have been very boring in the knockouts, a few games apart.

The refs becoming more fussy and whistle happy certainly doesn't help matters, but the lack of forwards willing to take a risk and go for goal is a worrying trend. Whatever about the league phase, when the majority of championship knockout matches feel like challenge matches and lack quality, it doesn't bode well for Kilkenny.

The year the Village won was the last senior final with serious cut in it. Well off the entertainment and blood and thunder of Intermediate and Junior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

randd1 wrote: »
    Two very disappointing games in the park today, hard to believe they were senior SF's.

Not much cut in either, some good skill and good scores alright, but they both felt like challenge matches apart from the 15 minutes towards the end of each game.

Thought Martin Comerford was the standout forward of the day, mostly because he was the main only forward who attempted to run at the goal any chance he got.

All in all, the standard if senior hurling in Kilkenny is slipping a lot. The last few years have been very boring in the knockouts, a few games apart.

The refs becoming more fussy and whistle happy certainly doesn't help matters, but the lack of forwards willing to take a risk and go for goal is a worrying trend. Whatever about the league phase, when the majority of championship knockout matches feel like challenge matches and lack quality, it doesn't bode well for Kilkenny.

The year the Village won was the last senior final with serious cut in it. Well off the entertainment and blood and thunder of Intermediate and Junior.

Couldn't have been much worse than the Clare and Galway finals which I watched today, or the Cork final last weekend, I wonder is it partly a case of inter county being at such a high level now that club hurling looks poor in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

randd1 wrote:

There were 3 players sent off in one County final today and in all cases the radio commentary said the referee failed to consult with either linesmen or umpires .
    This kind of action don't help quality of games .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

So not surprisingly it's a Loughs Ballyhale final.

First match eventually went to script though Loughs were helped by two soft goals from Rower errors in the first half. In fairness the Rower goalie made amends with a super save from a certain Bergin goal in the second half. For the Rower Ryan, Joyce (D) and Murphy were prominent. For a county player thought K Joyce would've had more of a bearing on the game. For the Loughs Kelly again was the main man with good support from Gorta and Bergin.

Second mach went as most suspected. Ballyhale seemed to only play in fits and starts but when they did, they made it look easy. Their combination play is unparalleled in the club scene at the moment. Henry lined out at MF and got some nice scores along with some enforcing from time to time. TJ looked like he got a knock early on and appeared to carry it for a while though still put in a solid shift. Joey was solid at CB. Fennelly was in and out but still picked off 3 pts. For Clara Bolger was the main attacking threat. Thought Lester was quieter than he'd normally be. Pender was again solid at CB.
    Hard to see any other outcome than a Ballyhale win in the final. They were quiet at times today but never let Clara get away from them. Not many club teams could lose a player like Mick Fennelly and not feel that loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Couldn't have been much worse than the Clare and Galway finals which I watched today, or the Cork final last weekend, I wonder is it partly a case of inter county being at such a high level now that club hurling looks poor in comparison.

No, I think the conditions this time of year don't help at all. I was watching Clare and Galway matches too today and the quality was poor but then again, the pitches were awful. Even though you say there is a difference in quality between inter county and club games, I found it hard to pick out a lot of inter county players on display in Ennis or Salthill and if asked whom were the standout players, I would have picked out ordinary club hurlers I never saw play before.
    Even in Kilkenny, very often county players fail to perform to their best for their club and sometimes we're left scratching our heads as to how so and so is on county panel(last weekend in Nowlan Park for eg).
    I maintain the quality of matches seriously suffers this time of year. The club games run far too late and was a huge source of annoyance to me and many team mates over the years when you train so hard during the year and yet the summer drags from inactivity and meaningful games.

randd1 wrote: »

My sentiments entirely. I've been to a lot of senior games since the resumption and it's concerning the fall in standard and intensity. I attended all 4 quarter finals and 1 was worse than the other. Semi finals today were very poor fairs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement