Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

unrealtime wrote: »
    To get four All Stars was brilliant even though one could make a good case for each of them. We still have a good basis given that we add Murphy, Fogarty Buckley and Reid to those stars - and hopefully Fennelly.

I really can't understand the moaning about the team. Those players will be back next year. Paul Murphy is a top rb. Tactically Cody made an error in allowing his fb line to get exposed against us in the final. Holden was an all star last year!

Think Walter Walsh is completely underrated. When on form he's unstoppable and is a great foil for th likes of Reid, hogan & co.
    Ger aylward is lethal too.

I'd be shocked if ye're not in next years final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

digzy wrote: »
    I really can't understand the moaning about the team. Those players will be back next year. Paul Murphy is a top rb. Tactically Cody made an error in allowing his fb line to get exposed against us in the final. Holden was an all star last year!

Think Walter Walsh is completely underrated. When on form he's unstoppable and is a great foil for th likes of Reid, hogan & co.

The bones of a good team will still be there next year and we'll always be hard to beat as long as coady is involved.we huffed and puffed at the semi final and completely outworked in the final.Jackie and eoin and michael are the three with question marks over them although I'd like to see larkin stay for another year and hopefully fennelly will give it another year.What coady does at three and six will be intresting.apart from the replayed semi final colin has being poor and possibly a move out the field will be better suited.padraig walsh could be tried in the fowards and aylward and james maher should be an addition to the panel.i think having richie and tj carry us during the league impacted on tj especially carrying that form right through to the later stages.these two in particular need more help next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

digzy wrote: »
    unrealtime wrote: »
    To get four All Stars was brilliant even though one could make a good case for each of them. We still have a good basis given that we add Murphy, Fogarty Buckley and Reid to those stars - and hopefully Fennelly.

Totally agree. Walter carried the forwards this year in my opinion. He was consistently good in all the games and tokk the games to the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Are carrickshock good things 2moro?

On the all stars felt chin should have got 1 instead of bonner maher.the rest was straightforward imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

dubcat51 wrote:
    Are carrickshock good things 2moro?

If they bring the same level of intesity they brought to the Tullaroan match I think they'll walk it. Tullogher will give it absolutely everything but I can't see them out scoring the shocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Carrickshock are back senior. They had to play the last 20 minutes or so with 14 men as John Tennyson got sent off after a pull on Walter Walsh (according to Twitter).

https://twitter.com/theclubmankk/status/795297148770324480

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Poor match in the park. Carrickshock by far the better team. How Tullogher managed to get this far is hard to fathom. Heavily reliant on Wally they were woefully deficient in the forwards. They were given a lifeline when Tennyson got the line for a pull on Wallys head halfway through the second half. Their inability to capitalise was characterised by two scores they conceded from quick frees to unmarked Shock players.
    Rice was the best player on the pitch. Very impressive with great energy. Wally was very involved all game with some good moments. He was also heavily outnumbered at times. John Power wasn't as prominent as you'd expect for a player of his calibre. Richie was brought on early in the second half and got on some good ball. As per the semi final, if he'd somebody running off his shoulder Shock could've gone to town.

citykat wrote: »
    Poor match in the park. Carrickshock by far the better team. How Tullogher managed to get this far is hard to fathom. Heavily reliant on Wally they were woefully deficient in the forwards. They were given a lifeline when Tennyson got the line for a pull on Wallys head halfway through the second half. Their inability to capitalise was characterised by two scores they conceded from quick frees to unmarked Shock players.
    Rice was the best player on the pitch. Very impressive with great energy. Wally was very involved all game with some good moments. He was also heavily outnumbered at times. John Power wasn't as prominent as you'd expect for a player of his calibre. Richie was brought on early in the second half and got on some good ball. As per the semi final, if he'd somebody running off his shoulder Shock could've gone to town.

6 pts in a county final is completely shocking. How did they beat Glenmore?

• Advertisement

No idea. Didn't see the game.

citykat wrote: »

How many from play?

How many from play?

2 from play according to an earlier report from Twitter.

1 from Wally Walsh and the other from a lad called Liam Barron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Wally was playing in the backs for most of the first half .
    Only moved centre forward in the 2nd .

How many from play?

2 from play according to an earlier report from Twitter.

1 from Wally Walsh and the other from a lad called Liam Barron.

Not great over 60+ mins in fairness. You'll not win many games with a point every 30mins from play.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Is Tennyson banned for the game against Kilteale now? If so that's going to be a very tough game for Carrickshock on Saturday week in Trim.

• Advertisement

Is Tennyson banned for the game against Kilteale now? If so that's going to be a very tough game for Carrickshock on Saturday week in Trim.

Yea tennyson will be a big loss kilteale really put it up to the bridge last year.They beat the wexford champions easy enough at the weekend so they'll certainly fancy their chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭randd1

Played them off the field, that's how.

But they had a complete meltdown in the final. It was their first ever intermediate final, and they just couldn't handle the occasion in any way, played no-where near what they're capable of playing to be honest. Absolutely bottled the occasion.

Sad that when they had their chance to play in a final they never turned up at all because they've been a good intermediate team the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Heard there will be changes to the Kilkenny management for 2017. James McGarry is gone and there could be additional changes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Dempsey gone too i heard?
    Any word on replacements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

minty81 wrote: »
    Dempsey gone too i heard?
    Any word on replacements?

Heard Dempsey was gone a couple of weeks ago alright, but the McGarry one is news to me.

• Advertisement

Maybe those changes are exactly what we need.

Although Mick Dempsey is a legend by all accounts.

The rumours of the selectors and michael dempsey finishing have being circling the county for a few weeks.Michael in particular will be a huge blow to the players.he had them peaking at the right time for over a decade.He will be a huge loss if it's true

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kkcitylover12

brookville wrote: »
    The rumours of the selectors and michael dempsey finishing have being circling the county for a few weeks.Michael in particular will be a huge blow to the players.he had them peaking at the right time for over a decade.He will be a huge loss if it's true

He will be a huge loss especially with his knowledge of the game, wonder who could replace him? Any word on who may be cut from the team and call ups? Seen dublin hurlers could some big names this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

He will be a huge loss especially with his knowledge of the game, wonder who could replace him? Any word on who may be cut from the team and call ups? Seen dublin hurlers could some big names this week.

Canice Maher has been called up to the Dublin panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭suirway

Rumours of changes to both Kilkenny minors and under 21 set ups also...

suirway wrote: »
    Rumours of changes to both Kilkenny minors and under 21 set ups also...

I've heard pat hoban stepped down from a few people.when are the managers and selectors usually appointed?cody usually confirms his appointment around this time of the year

brookville wrote: »
    cody usually confirms his appointment around this time of the year

A very quick Google throws up these dates for when previous reappointments were announced to the media: 10 Nov 2015, 14 Nov 2011, 10 Nov 2009.

So based on that trend it should be announced during the next week or so.

Just a quick question - Do these lads 'go' themselves or are they asked to move on? Just wondering is it a root and branch change and who will come in.

As someone else said, MD has the lads at the top level for so long and he knows the players best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

dubcat51 wrote: »
    No chance of being roasted playing on bonner maher.joyce has always had his number.
    Remind me.who got mom in the replay in 14 and how much bonner scored��
    Kieron joyce mom in replay 14.bonner scored 0.wonder how joyce got mom
    On the all stars felt chin should have got 1 instead of bonner maher.the rest was straightforward imo.

That comes as a huge shock, and you have always been such a big fan of the Bonner :D:D

No chance of being roasted playing on bonner maher.joyce has always had his number.

Well he only really marked him directly in 2014 from what i recall and yes he won the battle that day and kept Tipp's biggest threat from the drawn game out but he also got brilliant support from his teammates in terms of being able to crowd out Bonnar and mop up the breaks likewise Bonner got brilliant support from his teammates back in September when putting Joyce under pressure. There is no doubting Joyce is a super player but he was swamped in the final.

For you to say Lee Chin should have got the All star over Bonnar is beyond strange to be honest. Bonnar was part of a team who beat all around them (granted the only instance victory was in doubt was versus Galway)

• Advertisement

danganabu wrote: »
    That comes as a huge shock, and you have always been such a big fan of the Bonner :D:D

I am giving a honest opinion.I felt chins performances for wexford were outstanding.his performance v cork was better than anything produced by bonner this season.as for the final he scored 2pts out of 2-29.hardly ripped it up.

I am giving a honest opinion.I felt chins performances for wexford were outstanding.his performance v cork was better than anything produced by bonner this season.as for the final he scored 2pts out of 2-29.hardly ripped it up.

Your dislike of Maher and your inability to recognise his skills is pretty embarrassing to be honest.

Your dislike of Maher and your inability to recognise his skills is pretty embarrassing to be honest.

Dont dislike him.just feel he is overated. Scored 2pts in the final and didnt score at all in the semi v galway and only got 1pt v waterford in the munster final.all high scoring games and he got a total of 3pts.must be lowest scoring forward all star ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

Dont dislike him.just feel he is overated. Scored 2pts in the final and didnt score at all in the semi v galway and only got 1pt v waterford in the munster final.all high scoring games and he got a total of 3pts.must be lowest scoring forward all star ever.
    Did gorta not get an allstar 2002 scoring two points the whole campaign correct me if I am wrong.

It isnt as simple as what he scores. Bonnar was never a high scorer. Bonnar wins ball and opens up the attack. Walter Walsh doesnt always shoot the lights out but there is no doubt he is very very useful.

Its not all about scoring. Its about making them every bit as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

Did gorta not get an allstar 2002 scoring two points the whole campaign correct me if I am wrong.

He got a goal in the final v Clare as far as I remember. I think it was Shefflin that squared a ball from under the Cusack and Comerford got a slight touch to direct it past Davy Fitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Any news on new selectors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

thesultan wrote: »
    Any news on new selectors?

There's a county board meeting next Monday night where 2017 management teams are being ratified, doubt there will be an announcement before then

It isnt as simple as what he scores. Bonnar was never a high scorer. Bonnar wins ball and opens up the attack. Walter Walsh doesnt always shoot the lights out but there is no doubt he is very very useful.

Its not all about scoring. Its about making them every bit as much.
    Chin won ball made scores and took them.he went to the all stars instead of playing for wexford youths because he thought he was in with a shout of a all star.my original point was he did more than bonner imo to warrant one.I dont have anything against bonner .he does a job for tipp but we are talking about the all star selections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

He got a goal in the final v Clare as far as I remember. I think it was Shefflin that squared a ball from under the Cusack and Comerford got a slight touch to direct it past Davy Fitz.

Some Carey fella scored that goal, never heard much of him since;)

Chin won ball made scores and took them.he went to the all stars instead of playing for wexford youths because he thought he was in with a shout of a all star.my original point was he did more than bonner imo to warrant one.I dont have anything against bonner .he does a job for tipp but we are talking about the all star selections.

Yes we are indeed now compare the level of opposition faced by the two this year and tell me who deserves the all star? Chin is a good hurler and may be a victim of the fact he plays for a lowly Wexford team but to compare him to a man who played consistently well throughout the championship is laughable and your argument that he doesnt score enough is strawman at its finest

People are obviously getting old and the minds are not quite what they used to be (including you Dirkmeister) biggrin.png

Here are some of the highlights of the match on YouTube (image quality ain't the best):

The first goal (scored by DJ and assisted by Henry) is at the start of the video.

The lead-up to the second goal starts at 5'34" (scored by Henry and assisted by Gorta).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

The amount of work making scores what Martin Conerford did best that year and still going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

The amount of work making scores what Martin Conerford did best that year and still going strong.

So kind of what Bonner Maher does!

I Know what bonner does.but for me chin was better this season.against cork and waterford he was better than bonner was against the same opponents.matter of opinion I suppose.

• Advertisement

I Know what bonner does.but for me chin was better this season.against cork and waterford he was better than bonner was against the same opponents.matter of opinion I suppose.

Well we will just have to agree to disagree on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

People are obviously getting old and the minds are not quite what they used to be (including you Dirkmeister) biggrin.png

Here are some of the highlights of the match on YouTube (image quality ain't the best):

The first goal (scored by DJ and assisted by Henry) is at the start of the video.

The lead-up to the second goal starts at 5'34" (scored by Henry and assisted by Gorta).

Was sure he made a balls of the rise in that game!!!

Oh well!!!

Was sure he made a balls of the rise in that game!!!

Oh well!!!

To be honest the only things I remember well from that game is DJ's epic point where Ollie Baker fell over trying to catch him and that I was sitting in the premium tier in the Davin stand. I must be getting old :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Some Carey fella scored that goal, never heard much of him since;)

As per some of the posts above I was talking about the second goal.

I thought Henry had squared it to Comerford who finished it but it was actually the other way around.

I probably should have checked it myself on Youtube before posting.

To be honest the only things I remember well from that game is DJ's epic point where Ollie Baker fell over trying to catch him and that I was sitting in the premium tier in the Davin stand. I must be getting old :)

What about that point he scored (against Offaly I think) on his knees? Now that was epic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement