Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Jackie has just announced his retirement from inter county. He wont have any regrets after that career.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Good luck to him. Not much point in hanging around any longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Jackie has had come career!

This is pulled straight from Wikipedia so there could be some errors and omissions but I think pretty much everything is there...
    • St. Kieran's College
    All-Ireland Colleges' Senior Hurling Championship (1): 2000
    Leinster Colleges' Senior Hurling Championship (2): 1999, 2000
    • Limerick Institute of Technology
    Fitzgibbon Cup (2): 2005, 2007
    • James Stephens
    All-Ireland Senior Club Hurling Championship (1): 2005
    Leinster Senior Club Hurling Championship (2): 2004, 2005
    Kilkenny Senior Club Hurling Championship (3): 2004, 2005, 2011
    Kilkenny Senior Club Football Championship (2): 2003, 2008
    Kilkenny Junior Club Hurling Championship (1): 1999
    Kilkenny Under-21 Club Hurling Championship (2): 2000, 2002
    • Kilkenny
    All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (9): 2003 (sub), 2006 (c), 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 (sub)
    Leinster Senior Hurling Championship (11): 2003 (sub), 2005, 2006 (c), 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016 (sub)
    National Hurling League (6): 2005, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014
    All-Ireland Under-21 Hurling Championship (1): 2003 (c)
    Leinster Under-21 Hurling Championship (1): 2003 (c)
    Leinster Minor Hurling Championship (1): 1999
    • Leinster
    Interprovincial Championship (4): 2006 (sub), 2008, 2009, 2012 (c)
    • All-Stars
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭kk.man

One of the great greats, Best of luck and thanks Jackie.

Best of luck to Jackie on his retirement. Spoke to a few lads that know him and by all accounts meant to be a sound bloke. Huge level of success. Very decorated career. As a Tipp fan I'm relieved to see the back of him :p

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Brillant player and leader for kilkenny.we need to find a few like him going forward.can still see him waiting for lar to come out for the second half.getting married in december.so would like to thank him for great memories and wish him the very best for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

When Brian Cody made an effort to build a stronger team that wouldn't be muscled out of games ever again after galway 2001, Jackie Tyrrell was probably the kind of figure he had in mind. Skillful, for sure, but the main things were he could strike a bit of terror into an opposing forward, and he would never be made a fool of just because someone was faster than him. He wasn't a pacy player obviously, but he was a smart hurler, had great positional sense and was seldom turned. Probably too fond of the shoulder in the chest, but I think it was more about making a statement than being outright dirty. He knew that a backs job was much about getting in his opponent's psyche as anything else. And anyone who has read lar Corbett's autobiography will know how well Jackie could do that.

Best of luck in your retirement Jackie!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Before his first AI in 2006, the talk was how he would be roasted because of his lack of pace. However, he had great positional sense which meant he was rarely beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭blue note

blackcard wrote: »
    Before his first AI in 2006, the talk was how he would be roasted because of his lack of pace. However, he had great positional sense which meant he was rarely beaten.

As a great Kilkenny man in my club said; running is only for fellas who don't know how to ready the game."

And Jackie certainly was a great. I'd love to have seen him at half back, although corner probably was his best position one of the best cover backs I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Sad to see another great go but as the usual cliche goes "He owes Kilke..... ". He's been a fabulous servant and I know he would have probably gone last year if he had got a run in the final he just didn't want to leave it that way and decided to go again this year although from knowing him a bit he will have zero regrets about going back this year other than the lack of playing he got to do. I'm sure he'll enjoy the retirement and you'll see him hurl for the village for many more years knowing him.

I know a lad who is best friends with one of our management team and they often talk hurling. According to him Dempsey and the others are going no where, pretty much all the backroom team have committed to coming back again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Tyrell scored in the 2009 Final, there can't be too many corner backs that have achieved the feat, Paddy Stapleton would be the only one that comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Tyrell scored in the 2009 Final, there can't be too many corner backs that have achieved the feat, Paddy Stapleton would be the only one that comes to mind.
    clare corner back think holey moley was his name

Herd John tennyson is available carrickshock for leinster game next week.
    and has to miss first Rd or quater final of senior next year
    could this be right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Tyrell was a class act, hardy hoor and equally comfortable off both sides, a thinking mans corner back was how I would describe him.

could this be right

sounds plausible, suspensions are served in the same competition and the interprovincial an be classed as a stand alone competition.

danganabu wrote: »
    sounds plausible, suspensions are served in the same competition and the interprovincial an be classed as a stand alone competition.

would the senior not be a different competition also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

could this be right

yes you`re completely correct

would the senior not be a different competition also.

I think it goes on next KK adult championship match, I could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Meet Jackie at an Ocean Colour Scene concert once, sound man class dress sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Fairwell to Jackie. As tough as they come. Still keeps himself in serious condition.

Ya Tennyson plays next week. Tough game but they really should come through Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Fairwell to Jackie. As tough as they come. Still keeps himself in serious condition.

Ya Tennyson plays next week. Tough game but they really should come through Leinster.

clare corner back think holey moley was his name

Donhnall o'donovan, and by god was it an important one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Best of luck ta Jackie, and still is playing for club with same vigor as with county
    After all the years,..hard ta replace really

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Jackie has had come career!

This is pulled straight from Wikipedia so there could be some errors and omissions but I think pretty much everything is there...
    • St. Kieran's College
    All-Ireland Colleges' Senior Hurling Championship (1): 2000
    Leinster Colleges' Senior Hurling Championship (2): 1999, 2000
    • Limerick Institute of Technology
    Fitzgibbon Cup (2): 2005, 2007
    • James Stephens
    All-Ireland Senior Club Hurling Championship (1): 2005
    Leinster Senior Club Hurling Championship (2): 2004, 2005
    Kilkenny Senior Club Hurling Championship (3): 2004, 2005, 2011
    Kilkenny Senior Club Football Championship (2): 2003, 2008
    Kilkenny Junior Club Hurling Championship (1): 1999
    Kilkenny Under-21 Club Hurling Championship (2): 2000, 2002
    • Kilkenny
    All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (9): 2003 (sub), 2006 (c), 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 (sub)
    Leinster Senior Hurling Championship (11): 2003 (sub), 2005, 2006 (c), 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016 (sub)
    National Hurling League (6): 2005, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014
    All-Ireland Under-21 Hurling Championship (1): 2003 (c)
    Leinster Under-21 Hurling Championship (1): 2003 (c)
    Leinster Minor Hurling Championship (1): 1999
    • Leinster
    Interprovincial Championship (4): 2006 (sub), 2008, 2009, 2012 (c)
    • All-Stars
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Sure I suppose he has a few football titles to cherish after all his years of effort.
    Sound, down to earth lad. Best of luck to him in his retirement. Spoke very well on Newstalk Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Moosey15

Clubman app reporting Cody and his team ratified for next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Kilkenny Management Teams 2017

Senior Hurling
    Manager: Brain Cody
    Selectors: Michael Dempsey, James Mc Garry, Derek Lyng.

Intermediate Hurling
    Manager: Anthony McCormack (Dunnamaggin)
    Selectors: To be appointed

Under 21 Hurling
    Manager: Eddie Brennan.
    Selectors: Richie O'Neill (Kilmacow), Richie Doyle (Barrow Rangers)

Minor Hurling
    Manager: Pat O Grady
    Selectors: Peter Donovan (Erin's Own), Tom Doheny (St Lachtains), Declan Wall (Mullinavat), Pat Power (Slieverue).

Football
    Manager: Christy Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Senior Hurling

Intermediate Hurling

Under 21 Hurling

Minor Hurling
    Selectors: Peter Donovan (Erin's Own), Tom Doheny (St Lachtains), Declan Wall (Mullinavat), Pat Power (Slieverue).

Football

So the rumours about changes in the backroom team at senior level were unfounded. Eddie gets another go. Does Christy Walsh's appointment mean he has left the Bridge?

Lads, where the hell do all these rumours start from eh?? :confused::D
    dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Heard there will be changes to the Kilkenny management for 2017. James McGarry is gone and there could be additional changes as well.
    minty81 wrote: »
    Dempsey gone too i heard?
    Any word on replacements?
    Heard Dempsey was gone a couple of weeks ago alright, but the McGarry one is news to me.
    brookville wrote: »
    The rumours of the selectors and michael dempsey finishing have being circling the county for a few weeks.

Lads, where the hell do all these rumours start from eh?? :confused::D

In my case a VERY reliable source. Glad they were wrong, but I think the players will have been surprised by the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Senior Hurling

Intermediate Hurling

Under 21 Hurling

Minor Hurling

Football

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

In my case a VERY reliable source. Glad they were wrong, but I think the players will have been surprised by the news.
    You cant beat the bar stool gosip

You cant beat the bar stool gosip

There's no reason why you should take my word for it, so I understand the reaction (and it doesn't make any difference to me whether you believe it or not I suppose), but it was directly from within the panel. Like I say, they were wrong, but there you go, take for what you will.

EDIT: Honestly, not having a go here, it's always a wise choice not to believe things on the internet, just standing up for my source is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dionysis

I'd expect there to be some changes next year in player positions and players. Never thought Cody would go. Seemed to be very very annoyed after the final loss at the way we were outplayed, outfought and out muscled. Not to mention the way he was goaded by the press. Those comments along the lines of......."we have some very good players coming b through that you haven't seen yet", gave me a sense that he was going to come back and win and show them. It may not be 2017, but I'd expect it to happen by 2018. However after the next All-Ireland win, I expect Cody to call it a day.

Moosey15 wrote: »
    Clubman app reporting Cody and his team ratified for next season

Jesus how'd he bluff that ? :P

Mores to the point is theTipp man hanging around for another year.... expectation in Tipp to win 2017 is huge.

Dionysis wrote: »
    Mores to the point is theTipp man hanging around for another year.... expectation in Tipp to win 2017 is huge.

Yeah he's there for next year. Huge expectation but I think we may be getting the hang of this 'keeping a lid on things' at long last. Take nothing for granted though, if Kilkenny find a few lads over the winter they will be strong and highly motivated. Waterford will be stronger next year and so will Galway, Clare and quite possibly Limerick could be a dark horse. Interesting to see how Davy will fare. I have my doubts about Cork and Dublin though. Cork look like they do no strength training whatsover. Talented hurlers but they need to make a dramatic improvement. Things seem to be going sour up in Dublin at the moment. Alot of high profile droppings and still no sign of Danny Sutcliffe.

The team to beat Tipp next year is Galway. And they are well capable of it.

Dionysis wrote: »
    The team to beat Tipp next year is Galway. And they are well capable of it.

If Joe had stayed on then who knows what could have happened. We were flat and Galway just didnt punish us on the day. They beat us for tackles and Flynn caused Mickey Cahill some trouble especially in that first half. I wont lie, Im worried about most of the teams but Galway are a huge huge threat.

Galway could well beat Tipp in a semi and lose to Kilkenny in the final as they tend to do traditionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

There's no reason why you should take my word for it, so I understand the reaction (and it doesn't make any difference to me whether you believe it or not I suppose), but it was directly from within the panel. Like I say, they were wrong, but there you go, take for what you will.

EDIT: Honestly, not having a go here, it's always a wise choice not to believe things on the internet, just standing up for my source is all!

Who said you were believed you can talk down to people all you like as I said it was only bar stool talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm surprised they gave Cody another year. This run equals his longest run without an all ireland title since 04-05.

• Advertisement

Who said you were believed you can talk down to people all you like as I said it was only bar stool talk.

???
    When was I talking down to anyone?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

blue note wrote: »
    I'm surprised they gave Cody another year. This run equals his longest run without an all ireland title since 04-05.

:rolleyes:

blue note wrote: »

Sweet jesus :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Not surprised he was given another year, in fairness he should stay as long as he likes, BUT sometimes it's time to move on - another heavy defeat could signal his demise but if anyone can wring another AI out of a fairly non-spectacular (Lester Ryan, Prendergast, Holden would not make previous panels) team Cody is the man. Once he leaves Kilkenny will become very mortal.
    I Hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Eddie Brennan retained as U21 manager?! is this true?! surely not

buck65 wrote: »

I presume they felt he deserved more than one match in charge to prove himself.

Regarding Cody, he's only 62, and there is a lot of talent coming through the last few years from minor, even if it's been badly handled at u21. I think he has plenty to work with to build another championship winning team, although the days of waiting til lads are 24 before they get onto the field will probably be over. He doesn't seem in any rush to move on, so I am assuming he sees plenty of promise coming down the line as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Not surprised he was given another year, in fairness he should stay as long as he likes, BUT sometimes it's time to move on - another heavy defeat could signal his demise but if anyone can wring another AI out of a fairly non-spectacular (Lester Ryan, Prendergast, Holden would not make previous panels) team Cody is the man. Once he leaves Kilkenny will become very mortal.
    I Hope!

Yeah another heavy defeat having reached another All Ireland 🙄. Anyone who thinks Cody is moving on in the short term hasn't been paying attention. He's retired now. Since his retirement he's getting involved with more teams not less. I even saw him on the sideline directing operations with his old school last year. When it comes to his life, he's one-dimensional. Its all hurling and nothing else. He has no hobbies. Doesn't gamble. Drinks very little. He doesn't do media. His ghostwritten book gave zero insight. He's in his dream job and in spite of the AI (and all he's won), is still driven. If there's any change in the next year or two, it'll be selectorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I Hope!

To be fair Davy managed to wring an all ireland out of a fairly unspectacular Clare back line as well, not many of them would have made the Clare team in 95 or 97.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Big year for Eddie in career terms I think. Needs a real good result at U21 level - Leinster at least and with minors from 2014 on board he should have good pickings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I presume they felt he deserved more than one match in charge to prove himself.

Regarding Cody, he's only 62, and there is a lot of talent coming through the last few years from minor, even if it's been badly handled at u21. I think he has plenty to work with to build another championship winning team, although the days of waiting til lads are 24 before they get onto the field will probably be over. He doesn't seem in any rush to move on, so I am assuming he sees plenty of promise coming down the line as well.

I totally agree, I think Cody and management will bring younger lads on board this season. If they are good enough, they are young enough. He needs to find a few defenders also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement