Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I totally agree, I think Cody and management will bring younger lads on board this season. If they are good enough, they are young enough. He needs to find a few defenders also.

Well this is it, really, isn't it? Talking to people at home, the major question about who will step in at full back long term remains unanswered after the county championship. It's the major headache facing the management for 2017 IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Joey will be full back again. The issues are corner back and centre back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭kk.man

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

In my opinion, ye are burying your heads in the sand if ye think that we don't have issues with Joey at full-back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I didn't say it's not an issue, I said he'll be full back. There is no better option at full back in the county at the minute than Joey in my opinion. He's adequate as long as he's protected.

• Advertisement

I didn't say it's not an issue, I said he'll be full back.

Eh? :confused: You said the issues are corner-back and centre-back. Ergo, there are no issues at full-back. That's the way your post reads to me.
    There is no better option at full back in the county at the minute than Joey in my opinion.

I'll hold my hand up here and say that I can't answer that, I don't get to see any club games so I don't know.
    He's adequate as long as he's protected.

Any Tom, Dick or Harry can be a full-back if they are protected. What makes a good full-back is how they deal with the scenarios when they are exposed one-on-one. That can mean making sure you get to the ball first, fielding ability, or making sure your man doesn't get past you.

At this current time, I don't think Joey is good enough if he does get exposed. He doesn't seem strong enough for one thing. I have often wondered if he gets roasted by the likes of TJ or Richie Hogan during training.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Under 21s have dublin in the first round .really big game for eddie.probably in parnell park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Nedflanders02

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Under 21s have dublin in the first round .really big game for eddie.probably in parnell park.

I think that game might be at Nowlan Park but I'm open to correction on that!! But your right, that will be a massive game, win that and it could set them up for a good year at U-21, they'll definitely have the players to go far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I think that game might be at Nowlan Park but I'm open to correction on that!! But your right, that will be a massive game, win that and it could set them up for a good year at U-21, they'll definitely have the players to go far.

I imagine that it has to be at home because it was away last year when we got a goal in the last minute to get a win.The u21 panel should be strong next year jason cleere and conor delaney will be two with experience in defence.Id expect tommy walsh,huw lawlor,michael cody,conor doheny and 2×mullens to be near the team.Richie leahy and luke scanlon should be midfield while liam blanchfield,john walsh,Sean morrissey and alan murphy should lead the attack.are paddy deegan,ciaran wallace and billy ryan underage.I'm probaly forgetting a few but on paper this team should be decent.

Spoke very well on Newstalk Saturday.

I only got around to listening to that interview this evening. Very good, candid interview, I would recommend it to everyone on here. He came across as very down-to-earth, honest, and humble.

He talked about how much he used to doubt himself and his ability even after winning AIs and All-Stars because of a few bad performances in underage matches. He also discussed how he didn't like KK's defensive strategy in the '14 final against Tipp, and then how the team spoke with management and the tactics changed for the replay.

Oh, and he talks about the rivalry with Tipp :D:D

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/797562618370134016

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

brookville wrote: »
    I imagine that it has to be at home because it was away last year when we got a goal in the last minute to get a win.The u21 panel should be strong next year jason cleere and conor delaney will be two with experience in defence.Id expect tommy walsh,huw lawlor,michael cody,conor doheny and 2×mullens to be near the team.Richie leahy and luke scanlon should be midfield while liam blanchfield,john walsh,Sean morrissey and alan murphy should lead the attack.are paddy deegan,ciaran wallace and billy ryan underage.I'm probaly forgetting a few but on paper this team should be decent.
    They should be were those three not around that minor team 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

They should be were those three not around that minor team 2014

Billy Ryan was a sub on the 2014 team, I'm pretty sure the other two are overage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Billy Ryan was a sub on the 2014 team, I'm pretty sure the other two are overage

Think you are right. Huw Lawlor is another player that should be in the picture. Maybe Darren Mullen and Andrew Gaffney

blackcard wrote: »
    Think you are right. Huw Lawlor is another player that should be in the picture. Maybe Darren Mullen and Andrew Gaffney

What age is Gaffney now?

So with Brian Cody being appointed for another year, there has been a lot of talk of transition and Kilkenny needing 4 or 5 new players, not necessarily in the team but in the match day squad. If Brian Cody decided to go down the route a lot of Clare, Waterford and now Dublin and focus on young players only, my pick of 5 backs and 5 fowards who have shown a lot of talent at underage would be as follows

Back: Conor Delaney, Jason Cleere, Tommy Walsh, Darren Mullen, Paddy Deegan

Forwards: John Walsh, Sean Morrisey, Alan Murphy, Luke Scanlon, Richie Leahy

I like Michael Cody, Huw Lawlor and Billy Ryan as well, add that on to James Maher, Rob Lennon and Liam Blanchfield and its not a bad amount of talent coming through

What age is Gaffney now?

Kevin farrell had a good club campaign and eoin kenny and cian o donaghoe are decent.Adrian mullen seems to be a good prospect I think his minor next year tho

Given that Huw Lawlor wasnt on the minor team that won the All Ireland in 2014, it seems surprising that he made the under 21 panel in 2015, as far as I know he wasnt injured in 2014 either.

Best minors who lost on the day to dublin were adrian mullen donnelly from thomastown and tommy walsh.really impressed wirh donnelly that day .caught balls out of the sky and struck some great scores.agree with the lads mentioned above leahy walsh and cleere looked brillant minors.hopefully they will fullfill their potential.bolger is another talent.blending them in gradually will be the secret to success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

To be honest I don't think we can afford to blend them in gradually. I would like to see a good lash of them given a pop next year during the league look at Waterford Clare Dublin Tipperary Galway all had young lads 20 or so playing at the highest level, our lads are good enough if given the chance. Unfortunately we had a bad crop for 3 years (lads that are 22 to 25 next year) with very little on any of these teams that could come in and replace the talent that was retiring and we've seen the effect this year. Other than Kevin Kelly and Chris Bolger there is very little else out there from those years that I would expect to make the step up. Our last decent batch was Wally, Buckley, Ger Aylward, Padraig Walsh and John Power all 25-26 next year. The crop we have coming through has all been identified above.

As far as I'm aware the likes of Jason Cleere, Sean Morrissey, Liam and Kevin Blanchfield, Evan Cody, Conor Delaney have all had a few years on the extended panel at this stage. It's time for them all to get a run and to bring in the likes of John Walsh, Billy Ryan, Luke Scanlon, Richie Leahy, Alan Murphy Paddy Deegan, Darren Mullen, Conor Doheny, Tommy Walsh.
    Leahy, C Doheny and T Walsh might be a bit young yet to be getting a run but I think they should be in training.

Other defenders and midfielders I think should get a call to try out would be Huw Lawlor- OLG, Tom Aylward- Mullinavegas, Michael Fagan-Boro, Cian O'Neill-Dafort, Ollie Walsh-Boro, Pat Hartley-Tullogher. They may have been in before but I think they all played well this year in the matches I saw and are worth running the rule over.

From what I've heard Joyce will be given a shot at FB next year but he's done at CB, possibly Joey will be moved out there it couldn't be worse than last year anyway. Plus Joyce was always a FB underage for the county as far as I remember.

If you consider the options we have I think we're in a strong position again next year some lads will step up to the plate as invariably happens.
    Keeper
    E Murphy, R Reid

Defenders
    P Murphy, K Joyce, J Holden, P Walsh, C Buckley, R Lennon, J Cleere, C Delaney, E Cody, M Walsh, R Reid, P Deegan, D Mullen, C O'Neill,

Midfielders
    M Fennelly, C Fogarty, L Ryan, O Walsh, L Scanlon

Forwards
    TJ Reid, R Hogan, C Fennelly, W Walsh, G Aylward, E Larkin, L Blanchfield, J Walsh, C Bolger, K Kelly, M Bergin, J Maher, Sean Morrisey, B Ryan

That's 2 Keepers, 14 Defenders, 5 Midfielders and 14 forwards. If at least that many lads (35) don't get a run next year during the league I think we're f***ed we need to give lads a taste of the level that's required some will sink others will swim and thrive.

I think there's lots to look forward too, while we may or may not win the AI next (most likely not) we will be very hard to beat and will have brought on a load of young lads and start to become very formidable again from 2018, 2019 onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

To be honest I don't think we can afford to blend them in gradually. I would like to see a good lash of them given a pop next year during the league look at Waterford Clare Dublin Tipperary Galway all had young lads 20 or so playing at the highest level, our lads are good enough if given the chance. Unfortunately we had a bad crop for 3 years (lads that are 22 to 25 next year) with very little on any of these teams that could come in and replace the talent that was retiring and we've seen the effect this year. Other than Kevin Kelly and Chris Bolger there is very little else out there from those years that I would expect to make the step up. Our last decent batch was Wally, Buckley, Ger Aylward, Padraig Walsh and John Power all 25-26 next year. The crop we have coming through has all been identified above.

As far as I'm aware the likes of Jason Cleere, Sean Morrissey, Liam and Kevin Blanchfield, Evan Cody, Conor Delaney have all had a few years on the extended panel at this stage. It's time for them all to get a run and to bring in the likes of John Walsh, Billy Ryan, Luke Scanlon, Richie Leahy, Alan Murphy Paddy Deegan, Darren Mullen, Conor Doheny, Tommy Walsh.
    Leahy, C Doheny and T Walsh might be a bit young yet to be getting a run but I think they should be in training.

Other defenders and midfielders I think should get a call to try out would be Huw Lawlor- OLG, Tom Aylward- Mullinavegas, Michael Fagan-Boro, Cian O'Neill-Dafort, Ollie Walsh-Boro, Pat Hartley-Tullogher. They may have been in before but I think they all played well this year in the matches I saw and are worth running the rule over.

From what I've heard Joyce will be given a shot at FB next year but he's done at CB, possibly Joey will be moved out there it couldn't be worse than last year anyway. Plus Joyce was always a FB underage for the county as far as I remember.

If you consider the options we have I think we're in a strong position again next year some lads will step up to the plate as invariably happens.
    Keeper
    E Murphy, R Reid

Defenders
    P Murphy, K Joyce, J Holden, P Walsh, C Buckley, R Lennon, J Cleere, C Delaney, E Cody, M Walsh, R Reid, P Deegan, D Mullen, C O'Neill,

Midfielders

Forwards
    TJ Reid, R Hogan, C Fennelly, W Walsh, G Aylward, E Larkin, L Blanchfield, J Walsh, C Bolger, K Kelly, M Bergin, J Maher, Sean Morrisey, B Ryan

That's 2 Keepers, 14 Defenders, 5 Midfielders and 14 forwards. If at least that many lads (35) don't get a run next year during the league I think we're f***ed we need to give lads a taste of the level that's required some will sink others will swim and thrive.

I think there's lots to look forward too, while we may or may not win the AI next (most likely not) we will be very hard to beat and will have brought on a load of young lads and start to become very formidable again from 2018, 2019 onwards.

Next year the following will be in that 22-24 year group mentioned above as being a bad crop along with K.Kelly and C. Bolger... R.Lennon, J.Maher, R.Reid, P.Deegan, T.Aylward plus senior panellists from this year C.Martin, C O Shea, D. Cody Maybe they weren't that bad a crop of players but something went wrong.

Wouldn't leave Shane Prendergast out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Next year the following will be in that 22-24 year group mentioned above as being a bad crop along with K.Kelly and C. Bolger... R.Lennon, J.Maher, R.Reid, P.Deegan, T.Aylward plus senior panellists from this year C.Martin, C O Shea, D. Cody Maybe they weren't that bad a crop of players but something went wrong.

Wouldn't leave Shane Prendergast out
    I forgot about Prendergast true but I think he will struggle to get his place back but has done little wrong since he's been in. I was also impressed with A Forristal for OLG in the Championship this year and he may get a run.

I don't think C Martin, D Cody will make it at all. C OShea might if played in the correct position but I don't know where that is to be honest.

Your right there are some good players at that age group but none that have set the world a lite unfortunately and I completely agree they have been miss handled at U21 level. I still have reservations about K Kelly, R Lennon, C Bolger, P Deegan and T Aylward. I think they're all capable of making it but they still have to do it and push on and claim a place. You might end up with only J Maher and R Reid really making an impact I hope I'm wrong.

I suppose the point of my post above is that we have lots of talent coming through as we all know but we need to push them forward and blood them with game time. I spent a long time getting to the point and rambled a bit but that was the underlying gist of it I think we're in a very strong position going into next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Do Kilkenny supporters expect to see JonJo Farrell getting much game time in 2017? Does anybody feel he was unlucky not to get more game time in the two semis and final?

Do Kilkenny supporters expect to see JonJo Farrell getting much game time in 2017? Does anybody feel he was unlucky not to get more game time in the two semis and final?

It's a new year, so a clean slate. I don't see any reason why he won't feature straight away in the League if he is performing in training.

He was in impressive form until a poor performance in the first Waterford game. I can only presume that his confidence took a blow and he didn't perform well enough in training to merit game time either in the semi-final replay or the final.

Keeper
    E Murphy, R Reid

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards

Joyce struggled at times center back but I wouldn't like to see him at full back.his great coming out with the ball but to slow on the turn at least joey was quick.if joyce is going to be tried next year full back why wasn't he put back there during the all ireland when we were getting cleaned.I think you'd get away with that in the league but not in september...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

In regards of new lads coming on in the league and getting game time, I stated a few weeks ago that I hope the management treat the league as a testing ground for these players to see what they are made of. They need game time and plenty of it. This giving them 5 mins at the end of a league game is pointless.

With this, I say we should forego the league i.e. if we get relegated, we get relegated. 1A is a cut throat league and most teams have the full teams on board as points are hard to come by with teams taking points off each other. But we need to try these lads out.

I wouldn't make a big thing of what ages guys are either, especially if they are under 25. What's their hurling abaility like - that's more important.

Key players like Richie Hogan and T.J should be rested also for the odd game.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Looks like Kiltale, as expected, put it up to the Shocks earlier. Third year in a row to go down to KK opposition by 3 points I think.

According to KK twitter Mooncoin finished with 13.

Any reports on either game?

Friend of mine refed a friendly between st vincents and kiltale a few weeks ago and said then they were very good.beat st vincents easily that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

Friend of mine refed a friendly between st vincents and kiltale a few weeks ago and said then they were very good.beat st vincents easily that day.
    Was there.Shocks were miles better but Gob***the of a WX ref decided he wanted to pick the winner by playing 7 mins extra time.Goal that brought it back to 3 involved a foul on Dalton on goal line but when he threw ball during advantage secs ref gave 20 m free. Ref did same thing earlier to Brian Donovan. Shocks were 5 up at HT but Kiltale levelled after 40 mins.Shocks had 6 unanswered points( 1 beauty + a trademark assist from Richie) + 2 from Rice. To go 6 up!! Richie came on @ 11 for final 20 & swung game- NoTenno today- ,Dalton,DWalsh, Franks( excellent as sweeper)Rice & excellent John Power were Shocks best.Kiltale kept in game by Senie Cleere's soulmate!!

• Advertisement

Thanks shirley great summary.seems michael rice and dalton are hurling really well.any shocks player outside john power who uou think might make county panel.

Well done to both local clubs today.carrickshock got over a tricky hurdle today and they along with mooncoin should win leinster.hopefully o loughlins do the business tommorow but it will be a tough assignment in wexford park.

Looks like Kiltale, as expected, put it up to the Shocks earlier. Third year in a row to go down to KK opposition by 3 points I think.

According to KK twitter Mooncoin finished with 13.

Any reports on either game?

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/sport/gaa/articles/2016/11/19/4130409-cynical-carrickshock-too-streetwise-for-kiltale/

Yet another game where Carrickshock don't finish with 15 players on the pitch. Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Sounds like a typical hurling match between a Kilkenny and Meath team, always a struggle to keep 15 players on the pitch against them and then you have to listen to them whinge about fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Are Lismore due to play the Galway clamps in the IHC semi-final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Are Lismore due to play the Galway clamps in the IHC semi-final?

Yep

I wouldn't have responded at all that article if I was carrickshock. It's loser talk of the highest order, not worth responding to. Shock won the match, they don't need to win the popularity contest as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

After today I would think Mark Bergin will easily qualify for KK captaincy . And he scored 1-8 .

• Advertisement

Congrats to the city men with an impressive win over the current leinster champions and finish off a good weekend for kilkenny clubs.Paddy deegan and Huw lawlor continuing their good form which is a positive.Did anyone hear of any newcomers called up to the senior panel?

Congrats to the city men with an impressive win over the current leinster champions and finish off a good weekend for kilkenny clubs.Paddy deegan and Huw lawlor continuing their good form which is a positive.Did anyone hear of any newcomers called up to the senior panel?

Young Comerford should get a shot. Scored 4 great points today

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

Some interesting stats from under Codys reign.

http://takeoffthecornerforward.com/the-cody-era-the-numbers-part-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Cody and backroom team had a meeting with players last Friday to just give details of agenda and pre-season intentions. The new players brought into this meeting were Ollie Walsh, Luke Scanlon, Richie Leahy,Pat Lyng and John Walsh.Some of these players would have been brought in to for training matches at some stages in the last while. The current panel size is around 43 players and doesnt take into consideration the likelihood of some O'Loughlin Gaels players being called up. Id imagine it will be a open panel until after Walsh cup with a cull of players just before league commences depending on injury numbers within panel

Some interesting stats from under Codys reign.

http://takeoffthecornerforward.com/the-cody-era-the-numbers-part-1/

Some very interesting stats there, well worth a look. I'd say that took a hell of a lot or work as well to compile. Fair play to the chap who did it.

Interesting to see the positions that are subbed the most, and the least!

65 games in NHL & SHC in Nowlan Park and an 85% win ratio. 77% and 74% for Croke Park respectively.

Gr8t win for olg.should be a belter with cuala.should be in nowlan park after clara playing in parnell pk last year.great to see gorta can still rip it up.also would love to see mark kelly really kick on and fullfill his potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Village87

Cant really see many of the new faces making an impression really. Kilkenny have really struggled in Leinster u21 last 4 or 5 years and the players called have not been really up to the level required with the exception of Leahy.
    Mostly forwards called in too, i think Kilkenny really struggled in the backs and midfield without Fennelly leed ast year, Joyce, Holden, Fogarty and Pendergast need to be really pushed hard for there places after a poor year last year. Need a bit more Steele in the back 8 without Fenbnelly now, Tipp completly dominated these positions last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭blue note

Some very interesting stats there, well worth a look. I'd say that took a hell of a lot or work as well to compile. Fair play to the chap who did it.

Interesting to see the positions that are subbed the most, and the least!

65 games in NHL & SHC in Nowlan Park and an 85% win ratio. 77% and 74% for Croke Park respectively.

Very interesting figures. It's interesting that even with the greatest hurling manager in the history of the game he still takes off the corner forwards first. I always think it's so harsh on these guys.

One thing to note on it though - very often I imagine he was taking them off to play an extra midfielder or a sweeper, so might be tactical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Gr8t win for olg.should be a belter with cuala.should be in nowlan park after clara playing in parnell pk last year.great to see gorta can still rip it up.also would love to see mark kelly really kick on and fullfill his potential.

The match is confirmed for O'Moore Park, Portlaoise, on Sunday Dec 4th at 2pm.

The match is confirmed for O'Moore Park, Portlaoise, on Sunday Dec 4th at 2pm.

The clara match was a semi final and the final is mostly neutral venue.I thought carlow would of being more appropriate.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement