Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Carrickshock letter only resulted in the term cynical moving to the sub heading......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Carrickshock letter only resulted in the term cynical moving to the sub heading......

Also, streetwise is just another dogwhistle term for dirty. If I was from Kiltale I'd be telling the newspaper to stop making a show of them at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

i think anybody from mulinavat or bennitsbridge that played kiltale or saw kiltale play will give you a proper run down of what they are like on and off the field, i doubt there would be a bad word said about them, so please dont jump to conclusion about them been a dirty team, running down meath hurling is fairly lame, we cant all be kilkenny but at least people are trying to improve

it is not kiltale fault that a paper is reporting on what they saw,
    carrickshock won the game , thats the important thing, think people should move on
    best of luck to them

ref was poor for both teams and contributed to what was a poor game

sc86 wrote: »
    i think anybody from mulinavat or bennitsbridge that played kiltale or saw kiltale play will give you a proper run down of what they are like on and off the field, i doubt there would be a bad word said about them, so please dont jump to conclusion about them been a dirty team, running down meath hurling is fairly lame, we cant all be kilkenny but at least people are trying to improve

carrickshock won the game , thats the important thing, think people should move on
    best of luck to them

Meath are doing incredible work in hurling and hopefully ye can mirror what Tipperary are doing in football over the next few years.

I know a hurling mad fella from Kiltale who used hurl for Meath in the past and the same man would talk hurling morning noon and night. He absolutely loves the sport. For him alone i hope ye go on to become competitive.

best of luck to them

I didn't call Kiltale dirty. The Meath rag called Carrickshock dirty. Well..."streetwise".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

I didn't call Kiltale dirty. The Meath rag called Carrickshock dirty. Well..."streetwise".

plenty of games have been won by ways other than hurling only
    nothing wrong with testing the rules and doing everything you can to win
    i wouldnt disagree with that statement but i wouldnt take it as a insult

the cover of the sports section slated both teams for the scuffle near the dugout so it wasnt a attack on just your team as is been portrayed here
    personally i would do anything to insure my own team won and
    i think carrickshock stopped kiltale gettin any flow going, fair play to them

the game was not a great advert for hurling in general
    i personally blame the ref, he had not control over the game and indirectly caused alot of the scuffles with poor decision making

my point is please dont blame the kiltale team for any of the crap in the papers or the crap i have saw on social media, course they were dissapointed but they lost and thats it, they had a bad day but they will be back, they have made huge strides in recent years
    the problem is the teams coming out of inter in kilkenny are so strong compared to other counties

plenty of games have been won by ways other than hurling only
    nothing wrong with testing the rules and doing everything you can to win
    i wouldnt disagree with that statement but i wouldnt take it as a insult

the cover of the sports section slated both teams for the scuffle near the dugout so it wasnt a attack on just your team as is been portrayed here
    personally i would do anything to insure my own team won and
    i think carrickshock stopped kiltale gettin any flow going, fair play to them

the game was not a great advert for hurling in general
    i personally blame the ref, he had not control over the game and indirectly caused alot of the scuffles with poor decision making

my point is please dont blame the kiltale team for any of the crap in the papers or the crap i have saw on social media, course they were dissapointed but they lost and thats it, they had a bad day but they will be back, they have made huge strides in recent years
    the problem is the teams coming out of inter in kilkenny are so strong compared to other counties
    I didn't blame Kiltale, anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Village87 wrote: »
    Cant really see many of the new faces making an impression really. Kilkenny have really struggled in Leinster u21 last 4 or 5 years and the players called have not been really up to the level required with the exception of Leahy.
    Mostly forwards called in too, i think Kilkenny really struggled in the backs and midfield without Fennelly leed ast year, Joyce, Holden, Fogarty and Pendergast need to be really pushed hard for there places after a poor year last year. Need a bit more Steele in the back 8 without Fenbnelly now, Tipp completly dominated these positions last year

Luke Scanlon hasnt been up to standard at underage level? despite winning a minor all ireland medal, thats a pretty high standard your setting there, didnt John Walsh score two goals in both a minor and intermediate all ireland final?? Also did Ollie Walsh not win a minor and play pretty well untill he was taken out of it in an under 21 final against Clare, no need to play the complete poor mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bulldog 12

It's the agm time of year for most clubs now. Any major changes within clubs with new managers or talks of managers staying put again with same teams??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Topcat32 wrote: »
    Luke Scanlon hasnt been up to standard at underage level? despite winning a minor all ireland medal, thats a pretty high standard your setting there, didnt John Walsh score two goals in both a minor and intermediate all ireland final?? Also did Ollie Walsh not win a minor and play pretty well untill he was taken out of it in an under 21 final against Clare, no need to play the complete poor mouth

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=263571
    fixtures for walsh cup,I expect coady to take control of this to scout for any newcomers.when are the panel going on holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Bulldog 12 wrote: »
    It's the agm time of year for most clubs now. Any major changes within clubs with new managers or talks of managers staying put again with same teams??

Well Richie Mulrooney and his team of Michael Walsh and Simon Walton all finished their 3 year term with the Dicksboro. The word there is Mark Dowling will be the new Manager with management team to be confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Well Richie Mulrooney and his team of Michael Walsh and Simon Walton all finished their 3 year term with the Dicksboro. The word there is Mark Dowling will be the new Manager with management team to be confirmed.

Mark Dowling was a selector with Richie Mulrooney for 2014 and 2015. Took a break last year. Also with Robert Shortall in Clara when they won intermediate in 2012. Think he has Liam Egan on board as well

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Cody and backroom team had a meeting with players last Friday to just give details of agenda and pre-season intentions. The new players brought into this meeting were Ollie Walsh, Luke Scanlon, Richie Leahy,Pat Lyng and John Walsh.Some of these players would have been brought in to for training matches at some stages in the last while. The current panel size is around 43 players and doesnt take into consideration the likelihood of some O'Loughlin Gaels players being called up. Id imagine it will be a open panel until after Walsh cup with a cull of players just before league commences depending on injury numbers within panel

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=263580
    Jackie must of liked what ya wrote 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

brookville wrote:
    Jackie must of liked what ya wrote 😊

Haha knew it was ripped from here as soon as I saw it!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Surely Jason Cleere in there?

• Advertisement

minty81 wrote: »
    Surely Jason Cleere in there?

Jason cleere,sean morrisey,evan coady and a few others were in this year on the extended panel so id expect them to be part of that 40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Just a quick query - are the Season Tickets worthwhile? 99 for adults and 20 for juveniles. Anybody have any thoughts?

brookville wrote: »
    Jason cleere,sean morrisey,evan coady and a few others were in this year on the extended panel so id expect them to be part of that 40
    Alan Murphy and Conor Delaney were other young players on it too, interesting to see if Richie Reid will be tried as an outfield option during the walsh cup or league, with Eoin Murphy being the best goalkeeper in the country in my opinion it could be his best chance of getting on the team

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

So lads...... Mooncoin? What type of team do they have? Obviously they're a Kilkenny team in a Leinster final so will be red hot favourites, but as Kilkenny champions go, are they any stronger than normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Just a quick query - are the Season Tickets worthwhile? 99 for adults and 20 for juveniles. Anybody have any thoughts?

Yes imo.have had them for a good few years now.guarntees all ireland ticket with 66%attendance.also free in to first championship match.brillant value for the kids and introduces them to supporting their county from an early age.

• Advertisement

So lads...... Mooncoin? What type of team do they have? Obviously they're a Kilkenny team in a Leinster final so will be red hot favourites, but as Kilkenny champions go, are they any stronger than normal?

You enquiring from a Ratoath or Meath Chronicle perspective?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

You enquiring from a Ratoath or Meath Chronicle perspective?
    Y'wha?
    Ratoath perspective given that we're playing them next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Watch out for 'Ducky' Hennebry at FF although at 6"5', it'll be hard to miss him.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Think Mooncoin should be really good - best intermediate teams in Kilkenny are as good as senior teams elsewhere. Mooncoin are a free scoring team so should put on a good score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

unrealtime wrote: »
    Think Mooncoin should be really good - best intermediate teams in Kilkenny are as good as senior teams elsewhere. Mooncoin are a free scoring team so should put on a good score

Mooncoin are junior champs

Heres one for ye... Will the day come that someone hurls for kk under Cody who was born after Cody became manager?

No

No

Richie leahy is on the training panel for next year and is a good prospect he was minor last year so he might catch him

No

So you expect him to retire next year? Not saying that won't happen, I just wouldn't be betting on it. If he makes it to 2018 then I'd say it's unlikely that there won't be someone born after 1998 on the squad. In fact it's fairly unlikely in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭suirway

Interesting matches in under 21 the weekend - north and south final in both Roinn A & B.

Roinn A
    Shamrocks v Rower - Shamrocks backed by Minor winning side plus a few more should be too strong.
    Village V Boro - should be interesting game. Village will be anxious to try to kickstart a new beginning at senior level and should do so here with a good win under their belts already a serious advantage.
    Roinn B
    Piltown V Dunamaggin - Piltown have looked decent so far but Dunnamaggin have been promising underage in recent years so could advance.
    Graigue Ballycallan V Tullaroan - Tullaroan should win through but local derby so anything could happen.

• Advertisement

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=263776
    I like ger but I think its harsh on cody.fair enough we were comprehensively beaten in the final but we were in control until the 50th minute untill tipp took over.We were down two current all stars aswell and I'm convinced if we can find a few players during the league to strengthen our panel we'll be in the mix.we also have 3 teams playing in 3 finals this wknd I don't think it's all doom and gloom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

I like ger but I think its harsh on cody.fair enough we were comprehensively beaten in the final but we were in control until the 50th minute untill tipp took over.We were down two current all stars aswell and I'm convinced if we can find a few players during the league to strengthen our panel we'll be in the mix.we also have 3 teams playing in 3 finals this wknd I don't think it's all doom and gloom

Not weighing in on the Loughnane annual jib but we were most definitely not 'in control' until the 50th minute. After 20mins of the first half the writing was clearly on the wall we were in huge trouble. Callanan missed a goal. The body language, intensity and amount of breaking ball Tipp were winning across the field was a clear indication they were very much in control of the game. Tipp cleaned us in middle third in first half hence the supply to the Tipperary forward line.

Ger gets veery little attention in November. Leave him to it.

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Not weighing in on the Loughnane annual jib but we were most definitely not 'in control' until the 50th minute. After 20mins of the first half the writing was clearly on the wall we were in huge trouble. Callanan missed a goal. The body language, intensity and amount of breaking ball Tipp were winning across the field was a clear indication they were very much in control of the game. Tipp cleaned us in middle third in first half hence the supply to the Tipperary forward line.

Sorry I meant to say in the game not in control

I don't think he was basing it on what happened last year but rather that he should give another manager a chance while Kilkenny still have 3 to 4 of the top players in the country. The 4 he mentioned are getting into there late 20s/ early 30s so his reasoning is that when they go the new manager won't have enough talent to be successfull. Of course for the sake of his argument he makes no mention of the two Walshs, Eoin Murphy, Conor Fogarty and Ger Aylward. He was gushing about Liam Blanchfield after the Waterford match so he seems to have changed his mind on him already.

Seems he was trying to aim his attack at Cody rather than Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Loughnane should be completed ignored, he's the hurling equivalent of Eamon Dunphy, George Hook or that horrible English woman that chases controversy.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Loughnane should be completed ignored, he's the hurling equivalent of Eamon Dunphy, George Hook or that horrible English woman that chases controversy.

Dunphy is a good Kilkenny man to be fair, who is at least entertaining at times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Larkin retires. Thought he might do one more year. Superb player and another from the golden era goes.

Sad to see Larkin retiring but another who owes KK nothing. He was off the charts in 2008 culminating in him awarded HoTY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Butterbeans

Larkin retires. Thought he might do one more year. Superb player and another from the golden era goes.

+1
    Thought we'd get another year from him, but what a servant to Kilkenny hurling. At his best he made it look effortless - one of my favourite hurlers from the Cody era.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

Eoin is the last link with the greatest Kilkenny team of all times, the 2008 team. Was truly outstanding in 2008, 2009 and 2010. His catch, solo and score to seal the 2011 AI is my favourite memory of him. Best wisbes

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

His catch and score in 2011 v tipp will live with me forever.brillant player and a great example to the lads coming behind.best wishes to eoin for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭kk.man

One of the all time greats...thanks Larks

Everyone talks about his workrate and no doubt he usually set the tone in that regard but his first touch was sensational.
    Came up with huge scores for us at the most vital times.
    What shocked me today when hearing his list of honours was just 2 all stars!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ttowncat

Did he hurl minor for KK? Or was it that he just came like a bolt from the blue the year he won the County final against gowran?

He was unreal at pulling KK out of the fire singlehanded at at times- was it 3-5 points he got in a row against Galway in tullamore in 09 I think? And I thought he should have gotten motm in the 2015 final against Galway.. even though he got charged over the sideline he was still the only one who stood up to Galway in the first half.. although mick fennelly was great that day alright..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭randd1

Unbelievably talented hurler, one of the greats.

Two images come to mind, the third goal against Waterford in 2008 that put the cherry on top of the most awesome performance in an AI final, and that catch, turn and score to seal the AI against Tipp in 2011. His iconic images in the black and amber for me.

That said, his greatest performance for me was in the replay of the 2011 county final against the Shamrocks, it was pure mastery and poetry, and probably the finest individual display Nowlan Park has ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Best of luck to Eoin. Such a talent. He was so reliable in the games. So dependable. Always guaranteed to chip away at a few scores also.

He owes nobody nothing and did well to stay on after his spell overseas at the start of the year.

2 JS' men gone from the county within a few weeks. What a hauls of medals they both have.

Eoin is aother Kilkenny great!!

Eoin was a fantastic hurler over the years. His greatest asset were his strong wrists which meant that he won a lot of ball and got great power into his strokes.

I think he has gone at the right time - still at the top. I was expecting a stellar year like 2008 for him when he returned from army duty but it did not refresh him as much as I thought it would. The absences of both Mick Fennelly and Ger Aylward from the forwards did not help him.

Eoin was a fantastic hurler over the years. His greatest asset were his strong wrists which meant that he won a lot of ball and got great power into his strokes.

I think he has gone at the right time - still at the top. I was expecting a stellar year like 2008 for him when he returned from army duty but it did not refresh him as much as I thought it would. The absences of both Mick Fennelly and Ger Aylward from the forwards did not help him.

He also did a fair amount of leg work the last couple of years, dropping back very deep, occasionally into our half, which hampered the amount of attacking he was in a position to do. His role had changed I suppose. Like a lot of people, I thought he probably still had more to offer, but you're right, he probably decided to go out on top rather than put himself through another year and risk having the kind of last year Tyrell had, becoming a marginal figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭blackcard

randd1 wrote: »
    Unbelievably talented hurler, one of the greats.

Two images come to mind, the third goal against Waterford in 2008 that put the cherry on top of the most awesome performance in an AI final, and that catch, turn and score to seal the AI against Tipp in 2011. His iconic images in the black and amber for me.

That said, his greatest performance for me was in the replay of the 2011 county final against the Shamrocks, it was pure mastery and poetry, and probably the finest individual display Nowlan Park has ever seen.

That AI final in 2011 had a number of iconic images. Tommy's leap into the sky, Mick Fennelly's surge and shot for a goal, Brian Gavin with a bandaged nose, Henry punching the air after a great score, Jackie waiting for Lar to come out for the second half, JJ's spectacular catches, Eddie Brennan running like a greyhound, Richie's control, swivel and shot and finally Eoin's catch, short solo and score. The last bit seemed to me to be played out in slow motion.
    Ni fheiceid a leiheid aris

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement