Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

overrated & unlikeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Motivator wrote: »
    overrated & unlikeable.
    But enough about you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Class hurler. Great wrists, strength and the ultimate team player. Score taker and creator, worked like a Trojan. Fantastic hurler. Can't believe he hasn't more All-Stars as he was at the top of his game for such a long time, set really high standards. And a lovely fella also, had the pleasure (not!) of marking him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

ttowncat wrote: »
    Did he hurl minor for KK? Or was it that he just came like a bolt from the blue the year he won the County final against gowran?

He was unreal at pulling KK out of the fire singlehanded at at times- was it 3-5 points he got in a row against Galway in tullamore in 09 I think? And I thought he should have gotten motm in the 2015 final against Galway.. even though he got charged over the sideline he was still the only one who stood up to Galway in the first half.. although mick fennelly was great that day alright..

Was a sub on a minor team which won the all ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Tremendous player. His two points to seal the four in a row where also brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Lads.senior club in dublin looking for players. if anyone knows players that might be coming to work or go to college in dublin.based in mid west dublin and currently have the dublin captain.

Send me a message if you know anyone.thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Celbridge 1-14 to Carrickshock's 11pts. 7mins left. Well deserved by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Looks like a shock (no pun intended) on the cards in Newbridge

3pts in it now with 2mins left. John Dalton goal.

2pts in it now...3mins left plus 3mins injury time.

• Advertisement

C'shock get goal with last puck. Tough on Celbridge.

C'shock get goal with last puck. Tough on Celbridge.

Congratulations to Carrickshock and Mooncoin, great day for South Kilkenny.

Best of luck to Eoin Larkin. He was a very effective stylish and hardworking forward and one im relieved to see the back of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Congrats to Mooncoin. Better team on the day. Thought we had a good chance going into the second half only a point down. But Mooncoin improved immeasurably. Their first touch and ability to win dirty ball was a big difference between the teams.
    And ye were right, the big full forward caused havoc for our defence. Hopefully they win the All Ireland outright.

Well said hammer.my own club here in dublin played you in a friendly a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

First of all I want to thank eoin larkin for all the enjoyment and memories over the last twelve years he was one of my favourite hurlers and a unreal man for his club.I thought he would give it one more year but he struggled this year taken off in the two leinster matches dropped for the replay in thurles and taken off in the final.let's not forget he got two points in the replay and two in the final.the chances are he'd probably struggle even more next year as he said during the week he finds it more difficult to reach the heights required as the years move on so in while I'm gutted we won't see him again in the black and amber he probaly made the right decision.
    well done to both teams yesterday carrickshock were extremely lucky and probaly didn't deserve to win the match while mooncoin had to fight very hard.would either of these teams have any potential county players?kevin farrell seems to be improving is he u21 next year?also best of luck to olg today hopefully they can cap a good wknd for club hurling in kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Handy win for the Boro over the Vlillage in the U21 Nth Final at cold Clara. The final margin of 10 pts flatters Village such was the gap between the two. With a lively forward line, Boro built up a lead playing with the wind in the first half. They were dominant all over tbf. Village got into it more in the second half but Boro kept rhem at arms length picking off scores keeping rhe scoreboard ticking over. Scanlon and Browne were best for Village. Cody, Murphy, Farrell and Kenny were prominent for Boro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭big_drive

That Murphy looks a good goalie with o'loughlins. Has he played county?

• Advertisement

O Loughlins battled hard but were well beaten in the end, reminded me a little of the club All Ireland Final which they lost, couldnt really cope with the speed of Cuala who have a lot of fast players to be fair and are also very strong in the air through Schutte in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Cody saw nothing there. O'Loughlins were slow and unfit. Cuala not up to much; got away with much reckless use of the hurl. Won't get away with that next round.

unrealtime wrote: »
    Cody saw nothing there. O'Loughlins were slow and unfit. Cuala not up to much; got away with much reckless use of the hurl. Won't get away with that next round.

Bit harsh if not for some heroic saves from murphy they could of scored 5 goals.O'loughlins looked sluggish alright and con o'callaghan was electric they had no1 to contain him,i agree cody didn't c a whole lot today I expected more from the two marks.congrats to cuala much deserved.

I see Kierans won the junior All Ireland today helped by a goal from Ciaran Brennan who is also an Irish soccer international, looks like a serious hurler.

Cuala were the better team no doubt. Better all over the pitch. OLG's were second to every ball and they could never close that 3 point gap at different periods in the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Well said hammer.my own club here in dublin played you in a friendly a couple of weeks ago.
    Which club if you don't mind me asking? There was three weeks between our quarter and semi final so it was probably to keep the match fitness up.

• Advertisement

Which club if you don't mind me asking? There was three weeks between our quarter and semi final so it was probably to keep the match fitness up.
    St pats of palmerstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭randd1

Bad result for OLG, well played off the park for the majority of the game and just about the right score difference.

Have to say it's a little bit unsettling to see how poor the Kilkenny senior clubs have played the last few years, Ballyhale apart. Most of the problems are up front where we don't see our clubs getting much change, or being inventive enough, in an attacking sense. It's a problem in the senior county championship as well, very few top quality forwards.

I hope I'm sincerely wrong, but it looks like in putting such an emphasis on hard work and closing down at underage, we're over-coaching the attacking instinct Kilkenny teams are famous for and taking away a bit of the maverick in our players. There's been more than a fair few instances at underage, schools and club in the last few years of Kilkenny sides not killing off teams when well in control or losing tight games. It's a bad habit we're developing.

Anyone know when the National League fixtures come out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Anyone know when the National League fixtures come out?

they are out as far as i know , this is next years master fixture list

http://www.hoganstand.com/Fixtures.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

randd1 wrote: »
    Bad result for OLG, well played off the park for the majority of the game and just about the right score difference.

Have to say it's a little bit unsettling to see how poor the Kilkenny senior clubs have played the last few years, Ballyhale apart. Most of the problems are up front where we don't see our clubs getting much change, or being inventive enough, in an attacking sense. It's a problem in the senior county championship as well, very few top quality forwards.

I hope I'm sincerely wrong, but it looks like in putting such an emphasis on hard work and closing down at underage, we're over-coaching the attacking instinct Kilkenny teams are famous for and taking away a bit of the maverick in our players. There's been more than a fair few instances at underage, schools and club in the last few years of Kilkenny sides not killing off teams when well in control or losing tight games. It's a bad habit we're developing.

I can't speak to other clubs but within my own I've had repeated arguments with lads who coach with me over moving the stronger hurlers backwards instead of forwards. Its something I'd noticed when I was growing up but really hit home this year at U12. There's a kid who I've been coaching to be a forward for about 3 years now - great ability in the air, can strike off both sides, good free taker and a sponge to take in advice. Only negative is a lack of raw pace which means he has to work harder to win his own ball than he should although that should stand to him in future. The best thing though is the raw instinct when he gets the ball to go straight for the black spot. No fear, gets the ball on the half forward line and as soon as he's past his man he's thinking goal.

However those same abilities above make him a great back at that age group and when I'm not there he invariably ends up half back against a strong team. The instinct of the other coaches is a fear of losing rather than having the confidence to go for the win. Then you throw in the fact that he was playing corner back for the U14s and I can only see him ending up in the backs now that I'm not going to be involved anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

I can't speak to other clubs but within my own I've had repeated arguments with lads who coach with me over moving the stronger hurlers backwards instead of forwards. Its something I'd noticed when I was growing up but really hit home this year at U12. There's a kid who I've been coaching to be a forward for about 3 years now - great ability in the air, can strike off both sides, good free taker and a sponge to take in advice. Only negative is a lack of raw pace which means he has to work harder to win his own ball than he should although that should stand to him in future. The best thing though is the raw instinct when he gets the ball to go straight for the black spot. No fear, gets the ball on the half forward line and as soon as he's past his man he's thinking goal.

However those same abilities above make him a great back at that age group and when I'm not there he invariably ends up half back against a strong team. The instinct of the other coaches is a fear of losing rather than having the confidence to go for the win. Then you throw in the fact that he was playing corner back for the U14s and I can only see him ending up in the backs now that I'm not going to be involved anymore.

The club dont have a winning mentality at any age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Eoin Larkin was on Newstalk's Off the Ball last week to discuss his retirement. It's not the most insightful interview in the world, but it is interesting to hear that Larkin didn't spend too long thinking about retirement before making the decision.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/804792620069298176

Eoin Larkin was on Newstalk's Off the Ball last week to discuss his retirement. It's not the most insightful interview in the world, but it is interesting to hear that Larkin didn't spend too long thinking about retirement before making the decision.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/804792620069298176

I think after he spent time away earlier in the year with the army that he thought maybe county hurling, and at his stage, was down the list a bit.

He has a young family and maybe wanted to spend time with them. Only natural i think. Fair play to him. Life goes on. He owes nobody anything.

#oneofthemostunderrated

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Just back from the u21 final which the Rower won 2.12 to 1.13 against the Boro.

Pat Lyng was excellent for the Rower and won a mountain of dirty ball, they're centre back Jack Walsh was brilliant too. Richie Leahy scored two wonder points and got a goal after a class save from the Boro goalie, his talent is amazing but he can tend to come in and out of games, he probably will need that consistency to be in real contention for Kilkenny.

For the Boro their half backs Conor Doheny and Aidan Nolan were both excellent and Doheny in particular is a massive talent, Evan Cody is also hugely talented hurler and i'd say we could see him in the league for KK next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Congrats to the Rower on today. On a heavy pitch in a low scoring game it was going to come down to goals scored when deciding the winner. The Rower clinched it when a speculative ball over the top caught the Boro full back line flatfooted. The corner forward still had a bit of work to do but finished well scoring Richie Hogan style. The Boro had a chance immediately prior but was bravely blocked by the corner back.
    The Rower seemed better balanced overall while the Boro strong at the back lacked a little in the forwards. Along with those already mentioned I'd add Murphy at midfield for the Boro.

Thanks for the report citykat.hopefully look forward to some of those mentioned getting a run in the walsh cup or league.we should have a good 21s this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Village87

How good is Tullogher/Rosbercons Thomas O' Connor at hurling?.Scored an outrageous goal in Old Trafford last night against Manchester United. Probably a future loss for Kilkenny. Minor next year again going by his age. Is he anything to the 2 O'Connors who were outstanding in this years Intermediate semi final for Tullogher in Nowlan Park ?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Village87 wrote: »
    How good is Tullogher/Rosbercons Thomas O' Connor at hurling?.Scored an outrageous goal in Old Trafford last night against Manchester United. Probably a future loss for Kilkenny. Minor next year again going by his age. Is he anything to the 2 O'Connors who were outstanding in this years Intermediate semi final for Tullogher in Nowlan Park ?
    the chap who got the winner in that game.his mother is Kevin farrells aunt from carrickshock.
    so two kilkenny chaps on the score sheet in old traford

Thomas o connor is a super hurler.played on the new ross team that won the schools junior all ireland at midfield.definite loss to kk

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

The Indo transferred him to a Wexford native - all journalists are bone lazy

• Advertisement

See the walsh cup fixtures are out.kk to play antrim in abbotstown 2nd game on the 15/1/17.first game on the 5/1/17 at home to dcu

dubcat51 wrote: »
    See the walsh cup fixtures are out.kk to play antrim in abbotstown 2nd game on the 15/1/17.first game on the 5/1/17 at home to dcu

I think there going away on holidays the 27th of december so it will probaly be something like last years walsh cup panel

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

I believe Peter Queally will be training the Rower next year. Won a county in Waterford with Passage but get used to the sweeper system he seems to favour that.

I see Eoin Murphy came on (outfield) for Leinster in this evening's Inter-Pro Final in Thurles. He did ok but didn't see much ball in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭halfforward

Senior A
    O Loughlins
    St Martins
    Carrickshock
    Rower
    Erin's own
    Mullinavat

B
    Clara
    Danesfort
    Bridge
    Village
    Boro
    Balyhale

Intermediate
    A
    Dunnamaggin
    Glenmore
    Ballycallan
    Fenians
    Tullaroan
    Tullagher
    B
    Ballyragget
    Freshford
    Thomastown
    Mooncoin
    Lisdowney
    Gowran

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

Senior A
    O Loughlins
    St Martins
    Carrickshock
    Rower
    Erin's own
    Mullinavat

B
    Clara
    Danesfort
    Bridge
    Village
    Boro
    Balyhale

Intermediate
    A
    Dunnamaggin
    Glenmore
    Ballycallan
    Fenians
    Tullaroan
    Tullagher
    B
    Ballyragget
    Freshford
    Thomastown
    Mooncoin
    Lisdowney
    Gowran

Link?

Seems very early for these draws to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Senior A
    O Loughlins
    St Martins
    Carrickshock
    Rower
    Erin's own
    Mullinavat

B
    Clara
    Danesfort
    Bridge
    Village
    Boro
    Balyhale

Intermediate
    A
    Dunnamaggin
    Glenmore
    Ballycallan
    Fenians
    Tullaroan
    Tullagher
    B
    Ballyragget
    Freshford
    Thomastown
    Mooncoin
    Lisdowney
    Gowran

Link?

Draws were made last night on the County Convention in OLG halls. The groups listed above are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Senior A
    O Loughlins
    St Martins
    Carrickshock
    Rower
    Erin's own
    Mullinavat

B
    Clara
    Danesfort
    Bridge
    Village
    Boro
    Balyhale

Intermediate
    A
    Dunnamaggin
    Glenmore
    Ballycallan
    Fenians
    Tullaroan
    Tullagher
    B
    Ballyragget
    Freshford
    Thomastown
    Mooncoin
    Lisdowney
    Gowran

Link?

Draws were made last night at the County Convention in OLG hall. The groups listed above are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

Noddy33 wrote: »
    Draws were made last night at the County Convention in OLG hall. The groups listed above are correct

Thanks.

Were the junior draws made?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Were the junior draws made?[/quote]

Group A

Barrow Rangers
    Windgap
    Conahy
    Piltown
    Kilmacow
    Emeralds