Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 2 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Any word on a team for sunday.

Anyone on here going today.

Kk team v antrim
    1. E. Murphy
    2j.holden
    3.m walsh
    4s pender
    5p.murphy
    6.r.lennon
    7.c fogarty
    8c.martin
    9.o.walsh
    10.r.leahy
    11.pat lyng

12 walter
    13tj
    14 jonjo
    15 rchie

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Kk 2-10
    Antrim 0-8
    27 mins

2-12 to 0-10 ht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

KK too strong for Antrim according to Twitter. Strong enough team out. Anyone know how Rob Lennon done at 6. Joyce is on in his place now.

One more thing - Great gesture to take game to Dublin instead to match taking place in Kilkenny. Super gesture by Kilkenny GAA.

Lennon done ok .bigger tests ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Lennon and pender probably the worst of the backs but couldn't judge anything after today.Leahy and lyng showed up well.Michael walsh limped off near the end with a serious looking injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Advertisement

Michael walsh seems to be cursed

Hope Walsh's injury isn't to serious. Good to see a few lads getting a run out. Hopefully it'll continue over the next few games. Pity T.J. and Richie don't get a bit more of a break, especially in these games.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Hope Walsh's injury isn't to serious. Good to see a few lads getting a run out. Hopefully it'll continue over the next few games. Pity T.J. and Richie don't get a bit more of a break, especially in these games.

In fairness there only 28 and 29 years old and have had over 2 months off. You could argue over giving other lads a chance to see what there like alright but the two lads are probably mad to play

In fairness there only 28 and 29 years old and have had over 2 months off. You could argue over giving other lads a chance to see what there like alright but the two lads are probably mad to play

Yes but the majority of those two months 'off' were probably spent in the gym. Given that Richie is injury prone and that pitch conditions aren't the best, I'd personally prefer not to see him playing against Antrim in the Walsh Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You could also argue that you don't really get to see what the incoming players are capable of if they don't have a few reliable stars on the team. But by any measure that did seem to be a ridiculously strong team to be sending out in mid January. Aside from the injury risk, what do you really learn by hammering the crap out what is presumably a developmental Antrim team like that anyway?

I don't doubt they are mad to play but it's a long season, especially when you take club action into account. I saw T.J. play in Thurles in the Inter Pro's a week before Christmas so I know he's mad keen to play. It's mid Jan and conditions aren't great and it's really a no match in certain respects. We know what the both of them are capable of and I just think an extra week or two of a break will do them no harm.

They are 2 of our key men and I feel that other lads should get a chance in the Walsh Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

SCORERS: Kilkenny -
    • T.J. Reid (0-13, nine frees, two 65s');
    • Jonjo Farrell (2-1);
    • Richie Hogan (1-4);
    • Richie Leahy (2-0);
    • Ollie Walsh (1-0);
    • Pat Lyng (0-4);
    • Conor Martin (0-3);
    • Walter Walsh (0-2)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I don't doubt they are mad to play but it's a long season, especially when you take club action into account. I saw T.J. play in Thurles in the Inter Pro's a week before Christmas so I know he's mad keen to play. It's mid Jan and conditions aren't great and it's really a no match in certain respects. We know what the both of them are capable of and I just think an extra week or two of a break will do them no harm.

They are 2 of our key men and I feel that other lads should get a chance in the Walsh Cup.

Wasnt at the game but saw the teamsheet on twitter, TJ was originally down as a sub. The only other forward listed in the subs was Alan Murphy. Id imagine they are down a few with collage commitments and injury so maybe that is why Richie and TJ played

I'd be happier to see tj and richie rested at this time of the year and especially against weaker opposition,hopefully the next day we'll see new faces

• Advertisement

Topcat32 wrote: »

Wasnt at the game but saw the teamsheet on twitter, TJ was originally down as a sub. The only other forward listed in the subs was Alan Murphy. Id imagine they are down a few with collage commitments and injury so maybe that is why Richie and TJ played

Still they a break would do them no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Richie has spoken before about his frustration about how few games an Inter County hurler gets to play in the past so let them at it I say. Let's be honest, they are grown men, if they felt they were at risk of an injury or needed another few weeks off they would have told the management. Kilkenny are just back from the holiday and I'm sure the lads were delighted with the opportunity to blow the cobwebs off on the field of play rather than under lights or in the gym.

Credit to antrim today while being totally outplayed and well bet not a dirty stroke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

Village87 wrote: »
    Padraig Walsh is an exceptional hurler for Kilkenny, good in the air, aggressive, great striker both sides. Kilkennys best back by a long way.
    Kilkenny need him in the backs but a great option in the forwards, wrists to match the best forwards in the country such as bubbles, R Hogan, TJ, Joe Canning, not sure can we afford to do this though.
    Apart from Riche and TJ Kilkenny lack natural forwards. Walter Walsh, Colin Fennelly, Liam Blanchfield, Jonjo Farrell are not big scorers, they are great athletes and workers and every forward line needs two of these but players like Riche Hogan, TJ,Bubbles can make the ball sing and these players get the big scores in the big games, IMO Padraig Walsh can provide this

+1 ...I thought this after last year's all Ireland forwards are harder to come by than backs in leaner times.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

?width=630&version=3188567

Doesn't look too encouraging for Michael Walsh. Hope he hasn't done serious damage again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

• Advertisement

PaulKK wrote: »

Best of luck to mark his a sound fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭PáircLife

This time last year he wasn't even on the panel. Unbelievable achievement from Mark Bergin in fairness.

Having said that, our way of choosing a captain is definitely outdated and the sooner it's changed the better. I wouldn't expect Mark Bergin to be starting this year, captaincy should drive him on this year but every team needs a captain who is a leader and a main player.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Best of luck to Mark and sincerely hope we see him lifting silverware this year.

However i can't understand why a club hasn't put forward a motion to change the rule so that the county managers get to pick the captains. (Maybe they have but not aware of it ever put forward)
    The odd year it works out where an experienced man gets the job (Brian Hogan 11, Larkin 12, Shefflin 07)
    Often in our case a player got it early in their career and went onto be great leaders afterwards (jackie in 06, mick fennelly 09, reid 10)
    But in other cases fringe players have gotten the job and i think it actually puts unnecessary pressure on them.
    Well overdue a rule change here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

PáircLife wrote: »
    Having said that, our way of choosing a captain is definitely outdated and the sooner it's changed the better. I wouldn't expect Mark Bergin to be starting this year, captaincy should drive him on this year but every team needs a captain who is a leader and a main player.

There's plenty of leaders on that team, lads with multiple AIs. Non playing captains haven't held us back in the past. Its a reward for the club champions but is really only an honorary position at this stage. Leave it as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Maybe the County champions should also nominate a vice-captain that could take on the role of Captain should the man they nominate not make the team or is otherwise unavailable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

Still they a break would do them no harm.
    I suppose the way Cody looks at it there all playing for places look at T Walsh a couple of years ago.

O loughlins have nominated richie hogan as vice captain.Best of luck to both.realistically it's unlikely mark will be in the top 18 if all players get back from injury and the likes of alyward and maher returning and hopefully blanchfield and kevin kelly kick on and hopefully the likes of leahy,walsh or chris bolger make the breakthrough.
    With kilkenny almost guaranteed a walsh cup semi final spot I'd like to see few more u21 lads getting gametime tomorrow although it's unlikely.I know players want to be playing and the panel is small at the moment with college commitments but playing 8 of last year's team against antrim is madness to me.surely there's enough good club hurlers or lads not in college good enough to be competing in this competition.

brookville wrote: »
    O loughlins have nominated richie hogan as vice captain.

Have they? I've seen where Danesfort have proposed him. Didn't think OLG had any say in the matter tbh. It's Codys decision afaia.

citykat wrote: »
    Have they? I've seen where Danesfort have proposed him. Didn't think OLG had any say in the matter tbh. It's Codys decision afaia.

I was told he was vice captain during the week but came across this today http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/oloughlin-gaels-gesture-could-see-a-danesfort-captain-for-kilkenny-439768.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

John Mulhall going hurling with Kildare, he looked a nice prospect in his youth. Why didn't he push on with Kilkenny?

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    John Mulhall going hurling with Kildare, he looked a nice prospect in his youth. Why didn't he push on with Kilkenny?

Let's just say he didn't have the right attitude for the Cody regime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Comerman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exBnHWJfCVw

KK team vs Westmeath:

https://twitter.com/KilkennyCLG/status/823163454240473088

It's going to be a tough day for the Westmeath full-back line... having to mark TJ, Richie Hogan and Wally.

Good to see Michael Walsh starting after going off with what looked like a bad injury last week.

Going well but Richie Hogan has gone off after 5 mins.  Not sure if he's injured.  Just following Twitter. 3-10 to Westmeath's 0-7 nearing half-time.

You would have to wonder what the benefit is of playing our best and most established players and dishing out these hammerings. We haven't much to learn about Richie at this stage, what is the reason for risking him? There must be a few hurlers around Kilkenny that it would be worth seeing if they could contribute anything to the extended squad for the year.

• Advertisement

You would have to wonder what the benefit is of playing our best and most established players and dishing out these hammerings. We haven't much to learn about Richie at this stage, what is the reason for risking him? There must be a few hurlers around Kilkenny that it would be worth seeing if they could contribute anything to the extended squad for the year.

Richie didnt start, was named to start tho

I said the same yesterday it's madness playing richie and tj today and last week.it was a convincing enough win but westmeath battled hard in the 2nd half to their credit.John joe and wally the pick up front

Topcat32 wrote: »

Richie didnt start, was named to start tho
    Fair enough, I stand corrected on that. The general point still stands though. I'd have Richie hogan at home warming his feet at the fire with a nice cup of tea on Sundays until February to be honest!

Fair enough, I stand corrected on that. The general point still stands though. I'd have Richie hogan at home warming his feet at the fire with a nice cup of tea on Sundays until February to be honest!

Yeah totally agree, I think the selection policy is being effectd by a lot of the players in collages being ineligible until the semi final tho

I think tj came off near the end with a injury.it's good to see pat lyng hurling well.he got 3 points from play.

Who got rhe goals and who played well.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Who got rhe goals and who played well.

Two each for jj and wally.Pat lyng and tj also hurled well.
    Might be worth noting joey being tried at no 2 in these matches and paul murphy and fogarty on the hb line in both matches

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭minty81

Richie was named both on the programme and on the tannoy to start so must've pulled out very late.
    Though i didn't see him in the warm up.
    Wally looked very sharp i thought. TJ won endless ball and the forwards were throwing it around nicely in the first half.
    Not sure was the substitution of michael walsh a result of injury but i thought he was the best of the full back line. Rob Lennon looked sluggish enough and full back back line in second half was holden, lennon and pender which wouldn't inspire you.
    Pat Lyng the best of the newcomers, took his scores well and worked very hard.
    Big test next week for the newcomers away to wexford

• Advertisement

From what I know Cody liked him and he was a popular member of the panel, he went through a spell of games in the league where he totally lost confidence and then there was a relatively minor breach of disipline which led him to be dropped from the panel, the door was open and I dont think there was much bad will at all on either side but his club form never justified a recall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement